No love for "Into the Wild" ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 108 Old 03-09-2008, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Watched this as a rental last night...once it got going, the character and the actor really won me over. Reminded me of my youth in the early 70s. In a nutshell, a young man, angry and unhappy with his folks, gives all his possessions away and embarks on a 2 year quest of wandering towards his dream of a pristine existence in the wilds of Alaska. Along the way, he meets and touches the lives of some interesting characters. These relationships grow on you as does the main character. Takes place in flashback format after he obtains his goal. For the most part, this is an uplifting piece (), great cinematography, well written and engaging with excellent performances by the ensemble cast. Hal Holbrook got his Oscar nom for this one, though I felt there were stronger performances in the film.

3 out of 4 stars

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 108 Old 03-09-2008, 11:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 385
Sounds alot like "My Side of the Mountain".
post #3 of 108 Old 03-09-2008, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
The movie is about an arrogant idiot and his loser pals. Which would be OK if the movie treated the main character as the fool he was instead of trying to picture him as being noble.

And it's WAY too long in the bargain. Ford, Hawks or Curtiz would'a popped this out as 90 minutes tops. Some of these modern directors should be given scissors for Christmas.
post #4 of 108 Old 03-09-2008, 04:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 385
Hmmm. It no longer sounds like "My Side of the Mountain"...
post #5 of 108 Old 03-09-2008, 05:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Brennan View Post

The movie is about an arrogant idiot and his loser pals. Which would be OK if the movie treated the main character as the fool he was instead of trying to picture him as being noble.

And it's WAY too long in the bargain. Ford, Hawks or Curtiz would'a popped this out as 90 minutes tops. Some of these modern directors should be given scissors for Christmas.

The movie is about a post-adolescent young man who leaves a dysfunctional home to follow his dream. His "loser pals" are simply some folks that, for better or worse, have chosen alternative lifestyles. I doubt most of them think of themselves as losers; it's distressing that some can so cavalierly categorize them.

Penn has provided us with a moving story about an individual that decided to follow his own path unapologetically, showing both the positive and negative impact on those he meets and those who love him. I found Chris McCandless portrayed in some scenes as noble/heroic, in others foolish. Arrogant? I didn't see that. Idiotic? Yes, at times . . . like any young person.

As far as length is concerned: There are some films that are enhanced by a longer and more thoughtful treatment. This is one of them. One of the most affecting films of the past decade . . .
post #6 of 108 Old 03-09-2008, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrumm View Post

Penn has provided us with a moving story about an individual that decided to follow his own path unapologetically, showing both the positive and negative impact on those he meets and those who love him. I found Chris McCandless portrayed in some scenes as noble/heroic, in others foolish. Arrogant? I didn't see that. Idiotic? Yes, at times . . . like any young person.

Exactly...my own youth was speckled with idiocy, but I survived...

As for the folk living on the fringe, the portrayal was very close to several friends past and present. It's a choice, they are happy with and I felt it was very true to life. Obviously, the script was slanted toward the positives to give the piece symmetry and let you bond with the character. The movie let me wax nostalgic and appreciate it's beauty. You don't need to agree with the protagonist's choices, I didn't...just enjoy the ride...or not.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #7 of 108 Old 03-09-2008, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 38
this movie bored me soooooooooooooo much. I'd rather watch sense and sensibility than have to put myself through watching "Into the wild" again.
post #8 of 108 Old 03-10-2008, 04:36 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Ok, minus one in the NF queue... Thanks.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #9 of 108 Old 03-10-2008, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

Don't let the heathens sway you, Pooper. This film has a lot going for it; outstanding performances, beautiful vistas, and a remarkable story.

No stuff blowed up, though.
post #10 of 108 Old 03-10-2008, 11:40 AM

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
I saw on TV locals in Alaska interviewed about him and most thought he was a fool and wound up dieing because of his own stupidity.
post #11 of 108 Old 03-10-2008, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I saw this one as a poor little rich kid denouncing material things a possessions but still using other peoples things and possessions to get where he wanted to go...thought it was odd to have a rifle...anyway I understand what he was trying to do but this movie was long and over-glorified of this kids quest for inner peace and freedom. It reminded of the guy who went to live with the grizzly bears except the kids behavior wasn't as crazy.
post #12 of 108 Old 03-10-2008, 12:22 PM

Quote:

Don't let the heathens sway you, Pooper. This film has a lot going for it; outstanding performances, beautiful vistas, and a remarkable story.

No stuff blowed up, though.

It will make it to cable one day. I'll watch it then.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #13 of 108 Old 03-10-2008, 12:47 PM

Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Hutnicki View Post

I saw on TV locals in Alaska interviewed about him...

Uh, how about a spoiler alert? Also, it's spelled
post #14 of 108 Old 03-11-2008, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Spoiler? Anyone halfway well read knows this story already, this really happened and the book was a bestseller (and a damned good read, much better than this soporific movie). Do we need spoiler alerts to protect the ignorant from reality?

This is like a spoiler alert for the movie Gettysburg, to protect those who don't know the Federals won the battle. Or for Downfall, to protect those who don't know the Allies won World War II. No doubt there are such people around, eagerly awaiting the next Die Hard picture.
post #15 of 108 Old 03-11-2008, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The movie is about a post-adolescent young man who leaves a dysfunctional home to follow his dream. His "loser pals" are simply some folks that, for better or worse, have chosen alternative lifestyles.

Idiotic? Yes, at times . . . like any young person.

One of the most affecting films of the past decade . . .

The picture is about a selfish, lazy bum who took a powder and left his family hanging with no word. He was the dysfunctional one, not the parents who evidently commited the great sins of working hard, being stoic, providing for his physical needs (a big deal in, oh, let's say Somalia) and---gasp---arguing in front of the kids.

Not all young people are idiotic, many put their nose to the grindstone and get on with the serious business of life.

I'm glad you mastered the affect-effect thing. It gives me fits.

Regards
post #16 of 108 Old 03-11-2008, 07:21 AM

Sorry, Tom. I don't equate the simple plight of one boy to the significance of events that affected every human on the planet. I'll certainly look in my son's history books and read up on this kid though.
post #17 of 108 Old 03-11-2008, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder696969 View Post

Sorry, Tom. I don't equate the simple plight of one boy to the significance of events that affected every human on the planet. I'll certainly look in my son's history books and read up on this kid though.

Okay, okay; I overstated my case. Fact remains that this story was in the news and had a bestseller written about it. And knowing what happens in the end isn't a mystery or something the picture is setting you up for; it's not a Hitchcock picture. I assume many of those who saw the picture had read the book.
post #18 of 108 Old 03-11-2008, 07:48 AM

Don't forget that the rules on spoilers are meant to cover all bases regardless the story, when or where it happened. Some people don't live in the US, never heard of the kid etc. It's basically just a common courtesy towards others here.

larry

post #19 of 108 Old 03-11-2008, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The picture is about a selfish, lazy bum who took a powder and left his family hanging with no word. He was the dysfunctional one, not the parents who evidently commited the great sins of working hard, being stoic, providing for his physical needs (a big deal in, oh, let's say Somalia) and---gasp---arguing in front of the kids.

Lazy? I don't think so. I doubt it was easier hiking across the country and slogging through the wilderness than simply staying home and mooching off his parents. And I think the selfish categorization might fit if only his parents had been a little less so themselves.

My parents were quite poor during the better part of my upbringing, but they loved each other and their children unconditionally. They worked hard at bringing home what little we had, but never caused us to doubt the fierce love they had for all of us. It had a dramatic effect on my outlook in life, and I wouldn't have traded my upbringing with McCandless' for anything. There's a huge difference between raising a child and simply growing one.

My opinion is that his parents' own self-involvement, stoicism and focus on material things had more to do with his sudden departure than any other influence.

Quote:

Not all young people are idiotic, many put their nose to the grindstone and get on with the serious business of life.

Life need not be serious to be successful. I've never taken mine particularly seriously, yet I have a nice home in a great neighborhood, a loving wife, a good son, and a senior management position in a rapidly growing high-tech consulting company. All achieved primarily by following my own path and doing what's fun.

Quote:

I'm glad you mastered the affect-effect thing. It gives me fits.

Regards

I really have to think about it to get it right
post #20 of 108 Old 03-11-2008, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

Don't forget that the rules on spoilers are meant to cover all bases regardless the story, when or where it happened. Some people don't live in the US, never heard of the kid etc. It's basically just a common courtesy towards others here.

larry

I dunno. How can one discuss the picture without discussing McCandless's fate? Whatever it's merits this is a serious picture that invites serious discussion. Like I said, this isn't a who-dunit.
post #21 of 108 Old 03-11-2008, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Life need not be serious to be successful. I've never taken mine particularly seriously, yet I have a nice home in a great neighborhood, a loving wife, a good son, and a senior management position in a rapidly growing high-tech consulting company. All achieved primarily by following my own path and doing what's fun.

Evidently you're having a good time while taking proper things seriously, know what I mean?

As for McCandless I think we might agree that regardless of his motivations or basic character he acted in a very foolish way as is evidenced by his fate. You know he didn't even bring a map? What kind of person enters a wilderness without easily available maps and information? Not Daniel Boone. And had McCandless done so he would've known how to easily walk out of his predicament.
post #22 of 108 Old 03-11-2008, 10:06 AM

Quote:

I dunno. How can one discuss the picture without discussing McCandless's fate? Whatever it's merits this is a serious picture that invites serious discussion. Like I said, this isn't a who-dunit.

They're called "spoiler tags". Read the sticky at top.

larry

post #23 of 108 Old 03-11-2008, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

Regarding spoiler tags and the subject of this thread . . .

I've got a trade-paperback copy of Krakauer's book sitting next to me right now. Printed below the title, right on the front cover:

Spoiler  
In April 1992 a young man from a well-to-do family hitchhiked to Alaska and walked alone into the wilderness north of Mt. McKinley. His name was Christopher Johnson McCandless. He had given $25,000 in savings to charity, abandoned his car and most of his possessions, burned all the cash in his wallet, and invented a new life for himself. Four months later, his decomposed body was found by a moose hunter . . .

Ironic, isn't it?
post #24 of 108 Old 03-11-2008, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

They're called "spoiler tags". Read the sticky at top.

larry

I read it Larry. And find it ridiculous to apply it here, to this kind of serious picture. And one in which the story and it's outcome are public record.

But it's not my forum, you make the rules.
post #25 of 108 Old 03-11-2008, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 278
I don't recall this event (doesn't mean I didn't at the time) and I definitely didn't read the book (oh, for shame). I've been into mysteries and thrillers for some time, and it is a rare day when I read a fact-based account of anything for reasons I won't go into. Judging from the comments posted here, I'm looking forward to seeing this. And yes, we lazy idiots that didn't read the book or don't remember the event, greatly appreciate the spoiler tags.
post #26 of 108 Old 03-11-2008, 11:47 AM

^^^ I was about to say the same thing. I have no clue about this guy in the movie (until now). And Aliens, the sig? Come on..

larry

post #27 of 108 Old 03-11-2008, 01:34 PM

Larry, you have the patience of a saint. Kyser would have came in and kicked some serious AVS ass by now.

If people can't discuss a film without the "bother" of a quick click and drag across a spoiler, then they shouldn't be here, imo. If one reads the thread for The Descent, it's chock full of spoilers, even in regard to various theories that never even happened, almost to the point of insanity. However, it made for loads of fun and left the integrity of the film intact for those that don't buy/rent of day of release or soon thereafter.

Not picking on you or anyone else in particular, Tom. Just stating my opinion.
post #28 of 108 Old 03-11-2008, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Spyder my point is that knowing what happens isn't a spoiler because knowing it doesn't spoil anything. It's not like the picture has some kind of a twist or trick ending.

And frankly, those for whom this picture would be "spoiled" by such knowledge are not worth the consideration. There's too much dumbing down as it is, read the "Dumbing of America" by Paul Fussel; interesting, funny too.

Regards
post #29 of 108 Old 03-11-2008, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Quote:

And frankly, those for whom this picture would be "spoiled" by such knowledge are not worth the consideration.

Gee, thanks Tom. What an obnoxious, condescending, and arrogant thing to say...but not surprising. We bow before you.
post #30 of 108 Old 03-11-2008, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

Gee, thanks Tom. What an obnoxious, condescending, and arrogant thing to say...but not surprising. We bow before you.

You needn't bow, in your case a curtsy will do.
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Into The Wild Blu Ray
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page