post #151 of 161 Old 11-04-2013, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

If I gave a damn about the personal, moral, or other shortcomings of any artist (yes, in my opinion novelists are artists, regardless of their genre) I would not see or read a healthy percentage of the stuff I do see and read. Think, Woody Allen, Roman Polanski, Alec Baldwin, and a bunch of other talented people whose personal lives are a hell of a lot less laudable than their work.

Nicely said.

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 161 Old 11-04-2013, 11:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:

If I gave a damn about the personal, moral, or other shortcomings of any artist (yes, in my opinion novelists are artists, regardless of their genre) I would not see or read a healthy percentage of the stuff I do see and read. Think, Woody Allen, Roman Polanski, Alec Baldwin, and a bunch of other talented people whose personal lives are a hell of a lot less laudable than their work.
STOP making sense....this is the Internet...wink.gif

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #153 of 161 Old 11-05-2013, 10:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Saw this movie in an Atmos theater, and must say I quite liked it. Not quite perfect, but executed better than I expected after I read the book. I listened to the audio version of the book a few years ago, and ended up very lukewarm about the story (maybe blame the narrator). I even posted in an old thread titled "What sci-fi novel would you love to see made into a movie?" that Ender's Game could not be turned into a serious movie because it'd look silly to see child actors trying to portray the very serious subject matter.

But I feel that Gavin Hood, and the kids (Asa, Haley and the kid playing Bean, especially) have done a great job, and "ALMOST" pulled it off. The finale falls a little flat after the excellent build up, as the director and the actors did not quite sell their roles as someone who was truly devastated at what Ender had managed to pull off versus the enemy. Maybe it was a bad editing job, as there should have been more weight to the scenes at that point.

All in all, it's a worthy effort, and I felt that it would have been great had it been done in 3D... eek.gifbiggrin.gif
post #154 of 161 Old 11-05-2013, 11:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raaj View Post

Ender's Game could not be turned into a serious movie because it'd look silly to see child actors trying to portray the very serious subject matter.
3/4 of the book is about kids floating around in zero gravity and THAT'S what would make it unfilmable.

Quote:
the actors did not quite sell their roles as someone who was truly devastated at what Ender had managed to pull off versus the enemy. Maybe it was a bad editing job, as there should have been more weight to the scenes at that point.
In the book, the ending was more of a "ends justify the means" thing IMO.

post #155 of 161 Old 11-07-2013, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I snuck out to see a matinee of this yesterday and enjoyed it very much, the book is a favorite of mine and I actually think they did a pretty solid job of bringing the cerebral nature of most of the novel to screen. It was rushed at times, of course, but the voice-overs tried to fill in the blanks a bit. Asa as Ender seems a perfect choice, he probably has a brilliant career ahead of him. Overall, a great adaptation, given the challenging source material and considering the things they did have to change or leave out. It certainly could have a lot worse smile.gif

I plan to go again and take my gf and her kids to see how the ending plays out to someone who hasn't read the book. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I was at least a little surprised (and pleased) they didn't come right out and say "Attention audience: This wasn't a simulation" in the dialog so perhaps someone not paying full attention might miss that?
post #156 of 161 Old 11-07-2013, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutter Cane View Post

I snuck out to see a matinee of this yesterday and enjoyed it very much, the book is a favorite of mine and I actually think they did a pretty solid job of bringing the cerebral nature of most of the novel to screen. It was rushed at times, of course, but the voice-overs tried to fill in the blanks a bit. Asa as Ender seems a perfect choice, he probably has a brilliant career ahead of him. Overall, a great adaptation, given the challenging source material and considering the things they did have to change or leave out. It certainly could have a lot worse smile.gif

I plan to go again and take my gf and her kids to see how the ending plays out to someone who hasn't read the book. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I was at least a little surprised (and pleased) they didn't come right out and say "Attention audience: This wasn't a simulation" in the dialog so perhaps someone not paying full attention might miss that?

If possible, this should be seen on an IMAX screen because it is so immersive versus it with or without Dolby Atmos.
post #157 of 161 Old 11-07-2013, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutter Cane View Post

Asa already is into a brilliant career. He starred in The Boy in the Striped Pajamas in 2008 (a film I highly recommend) and Hugo in 2011. He is a fine young actor.....

Bobby 

post #158 of 161 Old 11-12-2013, 10:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Saw Ender's Game yesterday and really enjoyed it. The young actors in its large ensemble cast were remarkable. I saw it in a perfect frame of mind because I had recently read Card's sequel to Ender's Game, Speaker for the Dead, and thought it was wonderful. Thus it was fun to see Ender, his sister Valentine, and a bunch of others in the film whose later lives (way later smile.gif) I had just read about.

The picture looked great but the audio was world class. I saw it 2D in a large Cinemark theater, which didn't advertise anything extra in the way of audio technology but this film's audiotrack was nothing less than awe inspiring anyway.
post #159 of 161 Old 11-12-2013, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:

Saw Ender's Game yesterday and really enjoyed it. The young actors in its large ensemble cast were remarkable. I saw it in a perfect frame of mind because I had recently read Card's sequel to Ender's Game, Speaker for the Dead, and thought it was wonderful. Thus it was fun to see Ender, his sister Valentine, and a bunch of others in the film whose later lives (way later smile.gif) I had just read about.

The picture looked great but the audio was world class. I saw it 2D in a large Cinemark theater, which didn't advertise anything extra in the way of audio technology but this film's audiotrack was nothing less than awe inspiring anyway.

Well said. Im just fearful with Thor 2 out and in a way Gravity this this will never see a sequel.
post #160 of 161 Old 11-12-2013, 12:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytchone View Post

Well said. Im just fearful with Thor 2 out and in a way Gravity this this will never see a sequel.

Highly unlikely that there will be a sequel. It's not performing well enough to justify one.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #161 of 161 Old 11-12-2013, 01:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

Highly unlikely that there will be a sequel. It's not performing well enough to justify one.
GOOD.wink.gif

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page