were older movies better? - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 156 Old 05-15-2008, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 37
ADU's post #144 is calling the roll of actors he likes as far as the classic actors, with the females spanning the twenties with Crawford, Garbo and Dietrich all the way to the present day with Streisand, and likewise with the males: Lon Chaney all the way to Peter O'Toole and Omar Sharif.

Most of his additions to the list are of actors who have done most of their work in the last 20 years.

And a great deal of the people in the "classic" list are movie stars fondly remembered rather than great actors. George Raft, for one, couldn't act his way out of a wet paper sack.

I think one just has to argue that there are great actors in all the eras. One might could quibble with the silent era, as acting then was much more stylized to compensate for the lack of words.

CW Hinkle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 156 Old 05-15-2008, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaded Dogfood View Post

One might could quibble with the silent era, as acting then was much more stylized to compensate for the lack of words.

It's my understanding that many silent film actors weren't able to make the transition to 'talkies'.

post #153 of 156 Old 05-15-2008, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 37
It's my understanding that many silent film actors weren't able to make the transition to 'talkies'.

True. But some of that may be due to the "flavor of the month" syndrome, as top stars tend to be rotated in and out as time goes by, and not just because their voices end up not matching what people imagined what they would sound like or because they are aging.

If you want eternal fame as a movie star your best bet is to be a supporting actor that plays character parts. You make less but you generally work more steadily, and chances are people remember you with as much affection as the big stars, maybe even more.

CW Hinkle
post #154 of 156 Old 05-15-2008, 05:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 20
As far as their not being good roles for the actors, I'd have to sat that DeNiro is fully choosing to do that self-mocking, lightweight stuff he's been doing for the last few years.

I'm sure either he could find meatier roles if he wanted to. They're there. Or at least he could find someone to write them for him.

He is probably the worst example of the wasted acting talent I was talking about.
post #155 of 156 Old 05-17-2008, 06:00 PM

Liked: 10
Personally, I thought Transformers was the best movie I'd ever seen, and while not being very old I haven't seen as many movies as some other people might have, but from what I've seen it really stuck out to me.

However, some of the older movies have this sort of... classic charm to them.

So yeah. That's my two cents on the subject.
post #156 of 156 Old 05-21-2008, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 298
This is a great thread, BTW.

I think one thing that has to be brought up here is historical (and personal) context. When I was younger I was more easily impressed with loud flashy movies with lots of special effects. I was not at all interested in watching "old-fashioned" black and white movies. However, this opinion was pretty much a result of ignorance--it wasn't based on much real experience of those movies. Over the years I started watching older and more obscure (and foreign) movies, and talking with people who loved these movies, and eventually my tastes grew outside of the box.

Yes, a movie should be able to stand on its own without explanations or excuses. However, show a young kid a movie like "Transformers" and then show them "The Great Train Robbery" from 1903 and try convincing them that The Great Train Robbery is the far superior film (good luck with that).

The other issue we have here is where you were in your life (and how old) when you fell in love with the movie (or music for that matter). I think many people start discovering their tastes in their teens, then they hit a "golden era" for a while where they are discovering all these great things, then their tastes start becoming more refined and nuanced as shock value and novelty starts to mean less and less.

"I'LL SHOW YOU THE LIFE OF THE MIND!!!" - Barton Fink
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page