October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....) - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 316Likes

post #271 of 11017 Old 10-10-2009, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 167
9. Deep Red (first time viewing)
Dario Argento delivers the goods as usual. More of a mystery/thriller with horrific elements sprinkled throughout, "Deep Red" kept me guessing--I was sure I figured out who the killer was, but I was wrong. It was cool to see a post "Blow-Up" David Hemmings, once again playing the role of man who isn't quite sure what he's really seen. And of course, since this is an Argento movie, there is a lot of very red blood and over-the-top violence! One annoyance was the movie couldn't decide whether to be in English or Italian with English subtitles, it kept switching back and forth. I know that was the director's intent but it kept taking me out of the movie. That aside, I enjoyed it.

2009 Horror Movie Marathon List:
1. The Golem
2. Onibaba
3. Fire in the Sky
4. Abbot & Costello Meet Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde
5. Jack Brooks: Monster Slayer
6. Ju-On
7. The Fearless Vampire Killers
8. The Girl Next Door (2007)
9. Deep Red

"I'LL SHOW YOU THE LIFE OF THE MIND!!!" - Barton Fink
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 11017 Old 10-10-2009, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

I have Grace, Frostbitten, and Shaun of the Dead coming from NF today.
Good times tonigth.

oink, I'm interested to hear your take on "Grace". I watched "Grace" several weeks ago and thought it was pretty good, definitely different. Takes a little time to get going though.

"Marines have no qualms about killing Martians"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #273 of 11017 Old 10-10-2009, 12:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboss View Post

Takes a little time to get going though.

Thanx for the info.
I'll give it extra time.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #274 of 11017 Old 10-10-2009, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 132
REDRUM

Well, it took until the afternoon, but i finally got my chance to watch THE SHINING today. Like my last movie (Silence of the Lambs), such a classic there are no comments needed except i will say how great the casting was, Jack of course, but Shelley Duval was SO perfect as his wife, and the kid was good too.

HERE'S JOHNNY.............

never take life seriously
post #275 of 11017 Old 10-10-2009, 07:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Getting ready to start a double-feature tonight. Looks like TCM (2003) is up first with one of either Friday the 13th or A Nightmare on Elm Street to follow. I haven't decided yet. To complete the night, the Tanqueray/tonics will be flowing throughout.

Oh and I finally got the chance to watch Trick R Treat last night. It wasn't great, but I certainly enjoyed it. Reviews on these movies will be added sometime tomorrow.

Cheers

post #276 of 11017 Old 10-10-2009, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 748
Not in the same ballpark as you guys, but so far:
Children of the Corn 2009
Prince of Darkness
Halloween 2007
Carver
Shutter
The Amityville Horror 2005
Conjurer
Feast

Steam: Guts
post #277 of 11017 Old 10-10-2009, 10:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Oct 10th-

35. "Suspiria" - "A newcomer to a fancy ballet academy gradually comes to realize that the staff of the school are actually a coven of witches bent on chaos and destruction."

What can I say, a classic! If you haven't seen it you owe it to yourself to see it.

Highly Recommended

36. "God Told Me To" - "The storyline of this movie involves a series of motiveless murders committed by various New York residents: a sniper shoots people from a water tower; a father murders his entire family; and a cop (Andy Kaufman) opens fire during a St. Patrick's Day parade. The only consistent pattern to the crimes involves the perpetrators calm admissions of guilt, explaining, "God told me to."

Enjoyed this one, even with it's 70's feel. Different and unusual, good twist toward the end.

First movie in which 'Andy Kaufman' was cast.

37. "G.P. 506" (The Guard Post) - "From Su-chang Kong, writer & director of the horror/war film R-Point, comes his second film also dealing with the military and having horror film elements. Set in a heavily fortified military base along the Korean DMZ where strange happenings occurred and a whole team of 21 soldiers are killed. The one surviving is killed when found blood drenched and wielding with an axe among the remains of the other soldiers. "

I'd been looking forward to seeing this for some time and maybe my expectation were too high. I was disappointed with "G.P. 506", it moved along very slowly and was about 30 minutes too long.

38. "Cut" - "A group of film students attempt to finish a horror movie that stopped production years earlier when the director was killed. Unaware that every attempt to complete the pic coincided with the murders of those involved, the students return to the original location in an isolated part of the country. When filming begins, so do the killings."

This was a fun flix, not great but not bad. 'Molly Ringwald' made this movie for me, she had some of the best lines and was the perfect choice to play a has-been B-movie Queen.

"Cut" opened in France and Hong Kong at number two at the box office.

39. "Die Nacht der lebenden Loser" (aka Night of the Living Dorks) - "The school friends Philip, Wurst and Konrad are high-school losers: Philip desires the sexy Uschi, an easy girl for successful boys; the complex Konrad lists all the humiliations he has been submitted in school; and Wurst only cares to dope himself and smoke pot. Philip's next door gothic neighbor Rebecca has a non-corresponded crush on Philip. When Rebecca performs an ancient voodoo ritual in the cemetery with her friends, Philip and his friends arrive, mocking the ceremony and are accidentally blasted with zombie ashes from Haiti. Then, while driving his van, Wurst smokes marijuana but he has a car accident and the trio dies. However, they awake in the morgue and sooner they realize that they have become zombies. While seeking an antidote in the Necronomicon, Konrad, Wurst and Philip find the advantages of being zombies, becoming successful due to their recently acquired strength."

"He ate the coach!" This surprised me and turned out to be pretty good. There are some funny scenes and funny lines, lots of clichés and a little silly in parts but overall worth a rent if you're in the mood for some light hearted zombie comedy.

Be sure to watch it with the German soundtrack and English subtitles as the English dub track takes away from the fun - not a good dub.

Best of the day "Suspiria".

post #278 of 11017 Old 10-10-2009, 10:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Watched Grace and Frostbiten tonite.

Grace has a 2 sentence plot.
That said, it does everything it can to create a creepy, suspenseful film.
As Airboss mentioned: it is slow (fortunately, it is also short).

Frostbiten was a surprise.
Surprising that a film this low-budgeted and off the hype-vine could be so entertaining.
Lots of comedy, plenty of scares....recommended.

post #279 of 11017 Old 10-11-2009, 01:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Paranormal Activity- Great movie, pretty creepy and very well done/unique. Also very over hyped and is not in the same league as the scariest movies I've seen... but again I'm a horror junkie

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

post #280 of 11017 Old 10-11-2009, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

10. Deadgirl (first time viewing)
Feels like sloppy seconds at this point, but it's my turn to jump on the Deadgirl bandwagon! (Bad joke, I know.) Sick and twisted but always interesting. I'm a big fan of any movie that shows people exploiting the supernatural, because let's face it, exploitation is what really would happen if people encountered something supernatural! Well maybe not exactly this way, but there are some sick people out there, right? Also a few good creepy scares and jumps, particularly in the first half.

1. The Golem
2. Onibaba
3. Fire in the Sky
6. Ju-On
9. Deep Red
10. Deadgirl

post #281 of 11017 Old 10-11-2009, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Hard to believe we're already 1/3 of the way through the month! This has been too much fun.

post #282 of 11017 Old 10-11-2009, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob McLaughlin View Post

Hard to believe we're already 1/3 of the way through the month! This has been too much fun.

Thats so true Bob. This morning was great fun for me, I just finished watching the incredible MOTHER OF TEARS by Dario Argento. This movie was so enjoyable to me, first of all taking place in Italy was so nice instead of virtually everything i have been watching takes place deep in the woods, deep in the desert, or deep in the middle of a spooky house. Secondly, the insane scenes of disturbing gore and brutality are totally over the top. This is one powerfull movie, with a basic theme of the occult and religion. Normally i am not into movies about the occult, but Mother of Tears goes that extra mile with scenes like you just dont see in normal horror movies. Everyone needs to see this movie if you havent.

Fun fun fun!!!

post #283 of 11017 Old 10-11-2009, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post

Thats so true Bob. This morning was great fun for me, I just finished watching the incredible MOTHER OF TEARS by Dario Argento. This movie was so enjoyable to me, first of all taking place in Italy was so nice instead of virtually everything i have been watching takes place deep in the woods, deep in the desert, or deep in the middle of a spooky house. Secondly, the insane scenes of disturbing gore and brutality are totally over the top. This is one powerfull movie, with a basic theme of the occult and religion. Normally i am not into movies about the occult, but Mother of Tears goes that extra mile with scenes like you just dont see in normal horror movies. Everyone needs to see this movie if you havent.

Fun fun fun!!!

For those of you that have Cinemax 'Mother of Tears airs Mon. Oct. 19 2:15 AM CST, set your DVRs!

Thanks for reminding me of this movie yankeeman. Since I've all ready watched the first movie in the 'Three Mother's Trilogy', 'Suspiria', I've decided to watch the other two; 'Inferno' and 'Mother of Tears'.

"The Three Mothers (Le Tre madri in Italian) is a trilogy of supernatural horror films by Italian film director Dario Argento. It consists of 1977's Suspiria, 1980's Inferno and the 2007 film The Mother of Tears. Each film deals with one of the titular "Mothers", a triumvirate of ancient and evil witches whose powerful magic allows them to manipulate world events on a global scale."

post #284 of 11017 Old 10-11-2009, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Airboss, i have never seen the other two movies, only Mother of Tears. Sounds like they are good. I guess I should look into them. Are any of them coming up on tv this month? I only have the HBO channels, no Showtime or Cinemax. Are they worth buying a dvd? I am heavily into buying rather than renting, i am addicted to buying dvd's.

edit: I see that Amazon has the other two movies that i asked about above plus Deep Red for just for under 33-bucks total for the three, should i buy this deal? i have never seen any of these three, and i love the style and feel of Mother of Tears.

post #285 of 11017 Old 10-11-2009, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Yankeeman, I haven't seen "Mother of Tears" yet so I don't know how the other movies stack up against it, but I can recommend at least buying "Suspiria" without hesitation. I haven't seen "Inferno" yet, but I enjoyed "Deep Red"--it felt like an Italian Alfred Hitchcock movie.

post #286 of 11017 Old 10-11-2009, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 748
Got Zombieland today.

Steam: Guts
post #287 of 11017 Old 10-11-2009, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Airboss, i have never seen the other two movies, only Mother of Tears. Sounds like they are good. I guess I should look into them. Are any of them coming up on tv this month? I only have the HBO channels, no Showtime or Cinemax. Are they worth buying a dvd? I am heavily into buying rather than renting, i am addicted to buying dvd's.

edit: I see that Amazon has the other two movies that i asked about above plus Deep Red for just for under 33-bucks total for the three, should i buy this deal? i have never seen any of these three, and i love the style and feel of Mother of Tears.

I know what you mean, I'm addicted to buying DVDs also. I blind buy a lot of DVDs and order from all over the world (all of my DVD/BD players are Region Free). If you like Dario Argento then I'd say go for it. There are several other of his movies that are good also, you might check out getting a couple of his 'Collections'.

Neither of the other two movies are showing up as playing on TV this month yet.

Argento's "Phenomena" (Creepers - USA title) stars a young 'Jennifer Connelly' and is a good movie to boot.

"A young girl, with an amazing ability to communicate with insects, is transferred to an exclusive Swiss boarding school, where her unusual capability might help solve a string of murders."

If you can, see the original "Phenomena" and not the highly edited version "Creepers" (although there are those that perfer the edited version over the original).

post #288 of 11017 Old 10-11-2009, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks bud, I decided to order the two dvd's that go with Mother of Tears, and i ordered the second Transformers movie on bluray.

Will make a decision about more by Argento after seeing these two.

post #289 of 11017 Old 10-11-2009, 08:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

After the good recommendations for Suspiria and Mother of Tears, I just broke down and bought the whole series on Amazon for $35. Gotta do what you gotta do sometimes.

post #290 of 11017 Old 10-12-2009, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

11. Frightmare (first-time viewing)
Ah, the family that slays together, stays together. I didn't know much about this movie but I just bought the British Horror Quadruple Feature box set, which is actually a collection of 4 movies by the same British director, Pete Walker. This movie was interesting in that the "bad guy" is an elderly British woman! This was probably a nice slap in the face to the youth movement of the 60's and 70's, and the movie still holds up. A decent body count and some effective gore, but also many good interesting characters.

1. The Golem
2. Onibaba
3. Fire in the Sky
6. Ju-On
9. Deep Red
10. Deadgirl
11. Frightmare

post #291 of 11017 Old 10-12-2009, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Oct 11th-

40. "The Haunting (1999)" aka "The Haunting of Hill House" - "When Eleanor, Theo, and Luke decide to take part in a sleep study at a huge mansion they get more than they bargained for when Dr. Marrow tells them of the house's ghostly past."

Only had time to watch one movie so I pick one of my LFE favorites, the 1999 remake of the great 1963 movie "The Haunting" This movie has great atmosphere and if you've got subs that can handle it, it will rock your whole house. The LFE track is spooky and very powerful! It's just too bad this film starts to fall apart toward the end.

Highly Recommended for LFE freaks!

post #292 of 11017 Old 10-12-2009, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Message to Hollywood or an aspiring indie filmmaker:

We need a "Columbus Day" horror movie. Thank you.

The above post is 100% medically accurate

31 Days of Horror:

post #293 of 11017 Old 10-12-2009, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Day 12, 12th movie. I didnt expect to keep up one a day when i started, but its become like an obligation now, and i must keep it up.

Watched REST STOP at lunchtime when the wifey went out of the house. Its not the greatest movie, but it can get real scary in the respect that it makes you realize how you truly are exposed and without protection at these rest stops along the way. In the past i have been a little nervous at some of them, its definetely a danger. The movie has some interesting twists that keeps you wondering what is ACTUALLY going on, its not just a totally cut and dry movie of doing something to someone in a rest stop.

I guarantee once you see this movie, you will think about it the next time you use one.

Apollo, i know you didnt care for this one, and it doesnt hold up compared to many we are watching, but overall its got gore and the reality factor in that something like this really could happen easily in real life, so i was glad i watched it.

post #294 of 11017 Old 10-12-2009, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Day 12, 12th movie. I didnt expect to keep up one a day when i started, but its become like an obligation now, and i must keep it up.

Watched REST STOP at lunchtime when the wifey went out of the house. Its not the greatest movie, but it can get real scary in the respect that it makes you realize how you truly are exposed and without protection at these rest stops along the way. In the past i have been a little nervous at some of them, its definetely a danger. The movie has some interesting twists that keeps you wondering what is ACTUALLY going on, its not just a totally cut and dry movie of doing something to someone in a rest stop.

I guarantee once you see this movie, you will think about it the next time you use one.

Apollo, i know you didnt care for this one, and it doesnt hold up compared to many we are watching, but overall its got gore and the reality factor in that something like this really could happen easily in real life, so i was glad i watched it.

.45 ACP don't leave home without it

post #295 of 11017 Old 10-12-2009, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The gore factor is certainly there, no question about that. I had a problem with the twists (that never really got answered) and the fact that the girl refused to do the logical thing throughout the entire movie. For example the Joey Lawrence cop scene when she never contemplated grabbing his gun until he asked her to use it on him???? Astonishing. Honestly, if it wasn't trying to be so clever; it probably would have been significantly more watchable.

I do agree that rest stops are creepy however.

post #296 of 11017 Old 10-12-2009, 04:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzack View Post

Message to Hollywood or an aspiring indie filmmaker:

We need a "Columbus Day" horror movie. Thank you.

What horror could be greater than a few Spanish Caravels unleashing fatal diseases killing unknown millions of innocent people?

post #297 of 11017 Old 10-12-2009, 08:34 PM
Advanced Member

On the docket tonight? Eden Lake.

I spoke to my wife tonight (she has been at a conference since Friday) and finally revealed my plan to go for 31. She thought I was nuts although she pledged her support......like she always does when I come up with my "brilliant" ideas. I am truly blessed fellas.

BTW, finally got around to updating my page.

post #298 of 11017 Old 10-12-2009, 10:30 PM
AVS Special Member

I watched Poltergeist last night and am just finishing The Midnight Meat Train tonight. I've already talked about both of these here and in the bluray forum so no need to repeat but I love both.

I'm considering a blind buy on Drag Me To Hell tomorrow unless I'm talked out of it. Blockbuster is showing it as unavailable for some damn reason

ApolloCreed - Eden Lake is on my list so please report back with your thoughts.

I've updated my original post as well.

post #299 of 11017 Old 10-13-2009, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

I've had a lot going on and I'm getting behind on my posting. This is from yesterday, hopefully I can get back on schedule and enter my movies at the end of the day. Watched a couple of my old favorites and one I'd not seen yet.

Oct 12th-

41. "From Dusk til Dawn" - "Two criminals and their hostages unknowingly seek temporary refuge in an establishment populated by vampires, with chaotic results. "

For a movie made 13 years ago the SFX was pretty good. This was a fun watch which has a good bit of violence, some great humor and lots of gore. The cast is fantastic and includes some big names:'Harvey Keitel'. 'George Clooney', 'Quentin Tarantino', 'Juliette Lewis', 'Salma Hayek', 'Cheech Marin', 'Danny Trejo', 'Tom Savini', and 'Kelly Preston'.

42. "Dawn of the Dead (2004)" - "A nurse, a policeman, a young married couple, a salesman, and other survivors of a worldwide plague that is producing aggressive, flesh-eating zombies, take refuge in a mega Midwestern shopping mall."

I love the beginning of this movie! Imagne waking up, not knowing there had been a worldwide plague and just about everyone was a flesh-eating zombie, what a way to start the day. I don't know how many times I've seen this film but it never fails to keep me entertained.

43. "Inferno- "Terror that's hotter than Hell. Semi-sequal to 'Suspiria' has a American college student in Rome, and his sister in New York investigating a series of killings in both locations where their resident addresses are the domain of two covens of witches."

This is second film in Argento's "Three Mothers" trilogy which consists of "Suspiria", "Inferno" and "Mother of Tears". What a treat to watch. The cinematography is amazing and Argento's use of the primary colors is stunning! The acting is not the best I've seen but who cares. If you liked "Susipria" then you'll love "Inferno".

I can't believe I've owned this movie for quite some time now and had not watched it yet. This was a real treat and now I can't wait to watch "Mother of Tears".

Best of the day "Inferno".

post #300 of 11017 Old 10-13-2009, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Apollo - sounds like your lady is a keeper.

Kenobi I'm in the same boat. Don't want to wait for DMTH. Can anyone recommend it as a blind buy? I've got a $5 coupon at BB to use.

Airboss thanks for the recommendation on Inferno. I've yet to see it but will get it in this week for sure.

The above post is 100% medically accurate

31 Days of Horror:

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page