October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....) - Page 12 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1618Likes

Old 10-15-2009, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Oct 14th-

49. "The 8th Plague" - "The 8th Plague is the story of a woman named Launa who is investigating the disappearance of her sister..."

Waste of time.

50. "Deathdream" (aka Dead of Night)- "A young man killed in Vietnam inexplicably returns home as a zombie."

Boring

51. "The Bunker"- "Seven German soldiers are enclosed in one bunker during the Second World War. They soon feel surrounded by enemies..."

A little better than the first two.

'Best of the day' "The Bunker"... but that's not saying much.

"Marines have no qualms about killing Martians"

2011 List

2009 List

2008 List
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2009, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

You guys ever see, Make them Die Slowly? I remember getting a "bootleg" VHS of another movie like that back in the early 90's called something like the Emerald Jungle. I have since watched a few of those Italian cannibal flicks. Gory stuff.

Is that the same thing as Cannibal Ferox?
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
where the dude gets his weiner chopped off?

The above post is 100% medically accurate

31 Days of Horror: 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009 2008
Old 10-15-2009, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 298
16. Trick 'r Treat (first-time viewing)
What a fun movie! Also a very good movie to get you into the Halloween mood! I liked the intertwining stories and creepy atmosphere. Tales of suburban paranoia never felt so good! At times the movie felt a little constrained by its low budget but that is a minor gripe. The emphasis was on dark humor and lots of tricks!

2009 Horror Movie Marathon List:
1. The Golem
2. Onibaba
3. Fire in the Sky
4. Abbot & Costello Meet Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde
5. Jack Brooks: Monster Slayer
6. Ju-On
7. The Fearless Vampire Killers
8. The Girl Next Door (2007)
9. Deep Red
10. Deadgirl
11. Frightmare
12. Zombieland
13. Paranormal Activity
14. The Nightmare Before Christmas
15. Deathdream (aka Dead of Night)
16. Trick 'r Treat

"I'LL SHOW YOU THE LIFE OF THE MIND!!!" - Barton Fink
Old 10-15-2009, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So I FINALLY watched Them (Ils) last night. Airboss recommended this one over a year ago- whoops! I really liked this one. The many parts of this movie that worked were executed perfectly. The tension was built, then the fear, then the chaos. The camera work was perfect. A dark movie but what lighting was there was done so well. The sound was awesome too. In the moments with complete silence it felt like I could hear the couple breathing next to me. And those other sounds were wicked! The clicks, the screeches! Eeeeee!

I'm late to the party on this one but if you haven't seen it then check it out. It's available via Netflix streaming on xbox.

PS - turn off the lights too

Old 10-15-2009, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzack View Post

So I FINALLY watched Them (Ils) last night. Airboss recommended this one over a year ago- whoops! I really liked this one. The many parts of this movie that worked were executed perfectly. The tension was built, then the fear, then the chaos. The camera work was perfect. A dark movie but what lighting was there was done so well. The sound was awesome too. In the moments with complete silence it felt like I could hear the couple breathing next to me. And those other sounds were wicked! The clicks, the screeches! Eeeeee!

I'm late to the party on this one but if you haven't seen it then check it out. It's available via Netflix streaming on xbox.

wizzack, glad you liked "Ils"; how would you compare it to the American remake "The Strangers"?

2011 List

2009 List

2008 List
Old 10-15-2009, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Day 15, watched my 14th movie, gotta catch up, probably after the 24th when my wife goes out of town for the rest of this month, i will be able to not only catch up, but watch two movies quite a few days during the last week of this month. Hopefully i will wind up with more than 31 total.

Anyway, my 14th movie was the infamous CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST. Second time i have seen it, but hadnt seen it in years. This movie certainly is a HORROR movie. Some rough stuff in this one! I am still shaking my head, it can get to you. Not much else can be said about this movie, if you have seen it you know what i am talking about, and if you havent seen it, you owe it to yourself to see it one time. I have just watched the movie itself, there is a second dvd in the box with extras, i gotta check that out one day!

never take life seriously
Old 10-15-2009, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Airboss, I thought The Strangers had its moments but Ils is a much better movie overall.

Spoiler  

The Strangers: they had many chances to get out of the situation. Too many instances of things happening just to keep the story going.

Ils: felt like they were really trapped and took measures needed to get away. The panic felt real. The environment was secluded and believable. The ONLY thing I didn't like about this one was the underground sequence. But not sure how I would change it.

Ils = very enjoyable. Maybe the longer running time hurt The Strangers

Old 10-15-2009, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Airboss, I thought The Strangers had its moments but Ils is a much better movie overall.

Spoiler  

The Strangers: they had many chances to get out of the situation. Too many instances of things happening just to keep the story going.

Ils: felt like they were really trapped and took measures needed to get away. The panic felt real. The environment was secluded and believable. The ONLY thing I didn't like about this one was the underground sequence. But not sure how I would change it.

Ils = very enjoyable. Maybe the longer running time hurt The Strangers

I would agree, I though 'Ils' was by far the better of the two.

2011 List

2009 List

2008 List
Old 10-15-2009, 03:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

Is that the same thing as Cannibal Ferox?
Spoiler  
where the dude gets his weiner chopped off?

Pretty much every italian cannibal films have weiner cutting moments, but yes it's a same movie.
Old 10-15-2009, 04:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm keeping my list more current:

Mirrors - lesser known newcomer to the genre.. it has it's cliches, but it also has its moments. And the wife is drop-dead gorgeous.

Saw 1-4 - just bloody brilliant.. from the story to the subtext, from the cinematography to the soundtrack. also keep in mind that these films are typically made in less than 3 months from prep to print (first one was done in 28 days). These first 4 are easily the best (5 was just atrocious) and are intertwined in ways that you will never expect.

Gin Gwai - The american remake of 'The Eye' was horrid, do yourself a favor and go see what it was supposed to be.

The Ring - unlike 'The Eye', this remake was actually superior and is still a beautiful horror film.

Silent Hill - certainly no award-winner but has some wonderful imagery and great moments, definitely worth a watch.

Final Destination 2 - best death scenes of the series (4 being a close runner up), and worth watching for that alone. The highway crash scene alone is worth the price of admission and is extremely well shot\\done.

Cube - Excellent tech-horror film with surprises at every turn, dont bother with the sequel though!

28 Weeks Later - sure '28 Days Later' is a brilliant film and should be watched, but this one has it's own merits. The intense first 5 minutes alone are worth the watch.

The Midnight Meat Train - Vinnie Jones in a horror, need I say more?

The Mist (2007) - Superb film! Even if it had no horror elements whatsoever it still would be. The dynamic of people in isolation or captivity during a stressful, catasrophic situation that they have no information about is so well conveyed in this film that it is scary in and of itself. The ending is striking as well.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

lwright84, those are great reviews, i agree with every one of them, except i havent seen Gin Gwai. i have seen the others and totally agree with you on all.

what did you think of Saw 2? i love the series, but thought that was weak. number 5 was definetely poor, the others are great.

Old 10-15-2009, 09:45 PM

Liked: 12
Hey thank you, it's not often I get affirmation in this section of the forums! I'll be brief so I don't wake the rest of them up, haha.

Anyway.. I enjoyed Saw 2. I actually like each one in order (1 my fave, than 2, etc). I think I was so enthralled due to the incredible viewing experience that the first one had provided the year before, and my anticipation for the release of the sequel, that I accepted it completely at face value. Watching it again, I see some of the validity to the complaints about it, but overall I think it's still a strong movie that keeps you guessing while making you cringe. I liked it even more once I saw 3 and saw how intertwined they were (and 4 too). I loved the dialogue scenes with Jigsaw, and the epic ending (which was a feat to pull off, considering the act they had to follow from the original)!
Old 10-15-2009, 11:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 368
I just finished The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2003 remake and I have to saw, especially to all the purists out there that this was a great movie!
This has got to be in the best of the best for bluray transfers... picture was just stunning and the movie probably didn't have me this tense in the theater.

On the extras which I never watch but decided to tonight the alternate beginning and ending were both lame and I'm glad they were scrapped but th alternate Morga death had that extra blood the scene was just aching for so they should have left that one in imo. I thoroughly, thoroughly enjoyed the Featurette on Ed Gein... well done and and a grim look into the real life, even real photos of one of his victims strung up be her feet all hollowed out and no head... just incomprehensible!

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

Old 10-16-2009, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

17. Mother of Tears (first-time viewing)
A worthy entry in Argento's "Three Mothers" trilogy. Very over-the-top at times (how about that meat cleaver to the face?) but always watchable and interesting. Lots of gratuitous blood and nudity and violence--hurray! Asia Argento's acting is probably the film's weakest element, given that she is in just about every scene, I wish they had gone with someone else.

2009 Horror Movie Marathon List:
1. The Golem
2. Onibaba
3. Fire in the Sky
4. Abbot & Costello Meet Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde
5. Jack Brooks: Monster Slayer
6. Ju-On
7. The Fearless Vampire Killers
8. The Girl Next Door (2007)
9. Deep Red
10. Deadgirl
11. Frightmare
12. Zombieland
13. Paranormal Activity
14. The Nightmare Before Christmas
15. Deathdream (aka Dead of Night)
16. Trick 'r Treat
17. Mother of Tears

Old 10-16-2009, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Let my wife pick last night's movie.

The Stuff (1985)

UGH! This movie was nothing like the trailer I remember from back in the 80's. What a stinker. Lots of potential for a remake here. LOL @ Danny Aiello. Bad directing, bad dialogue, bad editing. The Stuff was too soft and fluffy.

I think I need a break from the 80's!

Old 10-16-2009, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Woke up early yesterday, it was raining very hard so I decided to make it a movie marathon day.

Oct 15th-

52. "La peau blanche" (US title: Cannibal) - "Two roommates discover that the family of one of their girlfriends is populated with vampires."

Not many 'scares' in this movie, it deals more with race, heredity, evolution and love than it does in scares. An interesting movie, just not what I expected.

53. "Hide" - In the spirit of "Bonnie and Clyde" and "Natural Born Killers", this indie horror/thriller follows a young couple as they wreak havoc on the world around them."[/i]

Tagline: Love is Hell.

"Hide" starts off very promising but loses some steam as it goes along until the last 10 minutes or so. Once again, not what I expected from the synopsis. It's more like a 'non-fat' "Bonnie and Clyde" meets "Natural Born Killers" with
Spoiler  
a not too bad twist at the end.

I did enjoy 'Rachel Miner' (Dani from "Californication") as Betty.

54. "George A. Romero’s Day of the Dead"- "A small group of military officers and scientists dwell in an underground bunker as the world above is overrun by zombies."

Zombies!!

55. "Day of the Dead (2008)" - "When a small Colorado town is overrun by the flesh hungry dead a small group of survivors try to escape in a last ditch effort to stay alive."

More Zombies!!

56. "Diary of the Dead" - "A group of young film students run into real-life zombies while filming a horror movie of their own."

Even more Zombies!! This time with a shaky cam.

57. "Land of the Dead" - "The living dead have taken over the world, and the last humans live in a walled city to protect themselves as they come to grips with the situation."

Even more Zombies again!! This time with 'Asia Argento'!

58. "Babysitter Wanted" - "In a small college town, a young girl working on a babysitting job in a rural farm is terrorized throughout the night."

In the beginning it may seem like "When a Stranger Calls" but it isn't! Not a bad slasher type flix, not excessive on the gore but there's enough.
Spoiler  
One little twist followed by a pretty good twist.

59. "Låt den rätte komma in" (Let the Right One In)" - "Oscar, an overlooked and bullied boy, finds love and revenge through Eli, a beautiful but peculiar girl who turns out to be a vampire."

After all the zombies I need a vampire fix so I decided to watch my UK BD (with the correct subtitles) of "Låt den rätte komma in". What a great movie, one of the best vampire movies ever made! If you have not seen this you should but be sure you watch a copy with the correct subtitles. On the US disc after subtitles it should read 'theatrical version'. That's the one you want.

Best of the day - "Låt den rätte komma in"

2011 List

2009 List

2008 List
Old 10-16-2009, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, i have my own HORROR here at home. I put the tv on today, and it says WEAK OR NO SIGNAL and there is nothing but snow, this is on both the cable and dvd, so i figured it might be a loose wire or connection, so in trying to check that out, i have made things worse by apparently disconnecting some HDMI wires that were connected to my receiver, and i cant work with them since they are on the floor in the back and i have some physical problems. So now i gotta wait until i can get someone here to look at everything.

However, i have a nice tv with a dvd player in my compter room, and can watch movies in there, just not blu-ray. So i will continue with my horror movies either later today or tomorrow, but until i can get my big system fixed, i will have to deviate from my list as i will not be able to watch the movies that i own in blu-ray.

Note that before i finished my post, i got someone scheduled to be here tomorrow morning before noon (saturday), so hopefully he will be able to get me up and going assuming its not anything major, which i doubt.

Well, i guess this is HORROR MONTH.

Old 10-16-2009, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Sorry to hear that, yankeeman...don't you just hate technical difficulties? I'd gladly help you out but I'm kinda like a thousand miles away.

That's a very impressive zombie marathon, Airboss! I hope you don't go all Woody Harrelson on anyone today.

Old 10-16-2009, 01:35 PM

Well I watch a classic last night from 1988'Killer Klowns from Outer space.I have to say it was very creative.The diffrent way the klowns killed the people was classic.And some of the sets were well done.Yes it is classic campy.But for this type of horror well done.A must see.
Old 10-16-2009, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwright84 View Post

Final Destination 2 - best death scenes of the series (4 being a close runner up), and worth watching for that alone. The highway crash scene alone is worth the price of admission and is extremely well shot\\done.

Agree!

yankeeman good luck getting that fixed and back up quick.

Airboss is on fire once again. Is he a man or machine!?

buddahead that's a great pick. Even if you're not afraid of klowns that movie is top notch!

Old 10-16-2009, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post

Well, i have my own HORROR here at home. I put the tv on today, and it says WEAK OR NO SIGNAL and there is nothing but snow, this is on both the cable and dvd, so i figured it might be a loose wire or connection, so in trying to check that out, i have made things worse by apparently disconnecting some HDMI wires that were connected to my receiver, and i cant work with them since they are on the floor in the back and i have some physical problems. So now i gotta wait until i can get someone here to look at everything.

However, i have a nice tv with a dvd player in my compter room, and can watch movies in there, just not blu-ray. So i will continue with my horror movies either later today or tomorrow, but until i can get my big system fixed, i will have to deviate from my list as i will not be able to watch the movies that i own in blu-ray.

Note that before i finished my post, i got someone scheduled to be here tomorrow morning before noon (saturday), so hopefully he will be able to get me up and going assuming its not anything major, which i doubt.

hmmm... sounds like a good excuse to get a second bd player for the other tv Sorry you are having issues man, hopefully you can get them sorted out over the weekend.

My Rig

Old 10-16-2009, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

hmmm... sounds like a good excuse to get a second bd player for the other tv Sorry you are having issues man, hopefully you can get them sorted out over the weekend.

yankeeman, sorry to hear you're haveing 'technical difficulties'. I agree with General K. Sounds like a very good reason to get a second BD, especially with the LG BD390 going for less than 240.00 (BD370 less than 150.00).

2011 List

2009 List

2008 List
Old 10-16-2009, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboss View Post

yankeeman, sorry to hear you're haveing 'technical difficulties'. I agree with General K. Sounds like a very good reason to get a second BD, especially with the LG BD390 going for less than 240.00 (BD370 less than 150.00).

Damn you Airboss! I'm not even in the market for a second BD player and had no idea there was something on the market with built-in WiFi That BD390 looks awesome and loaded with things I could really use... I'm trying to save up for a new Ruger SR-556 rifle but I may need to detour for this. Maybe yankeeman would like to buy my Pany BD55 (Mouhahahaha)

My Rig

Old 10-16-2009, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

adam green (hatchet) brings us the Jack Chop - a spoof on the slap chop infomercial

check it out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9owk50Iz3w

Old 10-16-2009, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

ha ha ha, try to tell the wifey i want MORE electronics!

that would be a HORROR!

Old 10-17-2009, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LugNutX View Post

Watched "Silk" last night and would recommend this to anyone that doesn't mind subtitles. This movie had more substance than anything I've watched thus far, though it does follow a few standard Asian themes. It was nice to have a break from some of the schlock I've watched recently.

Recommended!

Quote:

Sounds good, it's in my queue and says it's available now.

"Silk" finally arrived yesterday, good movie! Thanks for the heads up LugNutX.

2011 List

2009 List

2008 List
Old 10-17-2009, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Oct 16th-

60. "Dawn of the Dead (1978)" - "Following an ever-growing epidemic of zombies that have risen from the dead, two Philadelphia SWAT team members, a traffic reporter, and his television-executive girlfriend seek refuge in a secluded shopping mall."

Zombies again. Very slow and boring zombies.... just like this movie.

61. "Jue ming pai dui" (Invitation Only) - "Ordinary young men and women often dream of the unreachable life of the worlds idle rich. Wade, Richard, Hitomi, Holly and Lin certainly do. They have all received an invitation to an exclusive party held by a group of rich & famous people. It is the best party ever, a wishing game takes place where their deepest desires materialize but ..the wishing game turns into a killing game in which they are the tortured victims and a rich audience the sadistic spectators. To escape from the party and survive is now their only dream."

Not knowing what to expect from Taiwan's first slasher movie "Invitation Only" I was a little skeptical. The first 20 minutes or so did not look very promising, except of course for Maria Ozawa's(the Japanese Porn star) sex scene. Fortunately everything started to pickup after the demise of Ms Ozawa's character.

I must say, I was pleasantly surprised with the remainder of the film (except for the shaky cam foot chase). There's plenty of blood and gore presented in some unique 'kills'. One in particular involves
Spoiler  
the slicing open of a very pretty young woman's face and packing the open wound with rock salt! Ouch!! That is just one of several very 'cool' methods of disposal.

There are of course the usual plot holes and some unintentional comedy but neither distract from the film.

Recommended.

62. "Wrong Turn 3: Left for Dead"- "A group of people find themselves trapped in the backwoods of West Virginia, fighting for their lives against a group of vicious and horribly disfigured inbred cannibals."

The tag line for "Wrong Turn 3" is: 'What You Don't See Will Kill You'

Watching this movie will kill you.... with it's stupidity! One of the TV adds says something like "So scary it could not be shown in theaters"; what they meant to say is "So sh*tty it could not be shown in theaters".

This is one of the worst movies I've ever seen (except for perhaps the first 10 minutes). Some of the 'kills' are inventive, unfortunately the CGI is worst than most presented on the Syfy channel and the makeup for 'Three Finger' and his clan is atrocious!

Wait for it on cable or sat.

63. "Doghouse" - "The battle of the sexes just got bloody.......... A group of men head to a remote village to help one of their friends get over his divorce; when they get there, though, they discover that all the women have been infected with a virus that makes them man-hating cannibals. "

Zombie cannibal women! Not bad for a comedy/horror in the vein of "Shaun of the Dead" albeit not quite as good.

"What kind of a virus only affects women?"

"Bird Flu."

64. "Gui si" (Silk) - "A team of scientists led by Hashimoto has managed to capture the energy of a ghost child, thanks to their newly invented device called Menger Sponge. The child, isolated in an empty flat, moves his lips to words no one understands. Hashimoto enlists special agent Ye Qi-Dong, who is able to read on lips, in order to figure out how this child can shed light on life...and especially life after death... "

Original story, SFX are good (except for the CGI car crash), I would agree with everything LugNutX said.

Recommended

Best of the day - "Gui si" (Silk) followed by "Jue ming pai dui" (Invitation Only)

2011 List

2009 List

2008 List
Old 10-17-2009, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, its lunchtime saturday, and my system is back up and running. However, this is the second time i am trying to make this post, as the first time we had a power outage from a storm and ALL the electronics in the house got shut off, and i had to get everything going again. Fun time! But everything looks okay at the moment (pray pray pray).

Today i will be spending a lot of time with my wife as its our anniversary, so tomorrow i will try to get back into watching the horror movies. Note that being a big baseball fan i also have to give a lot of time to the baseball playoffs, particularly the Yankees games. The game tonite i will dvr, and get up early in the morning and watch it as if its a live game, as i cant watch a baseball game tonite, we are going out for our anniversary.

Never should have gotten married in October!

By the way, Airboss, you are doing incredible with 64 movies already. Way to go.

Old 10-18-2009, 12:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:

This movie has been on my MUST watch list forever, it seems.
Maybe I should NF the damn thing.

Quote:

After all the zombies I need a vampire fix so I decided to watch my UK BD (with the correct subtitles) of "Låt den rätte komma in". What a great movie, one of the best vampire movies ever made! If you have not seen this you should but be sure you watch a copy with the correct subtitles. On the US the disc after subtitles it should say 'theatrical version'. That's the one you want.

Please don't make me double-dip here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

no idea there was something on the market with built-in WiFi

1080p WiFi?

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
Old 10-18-2009, 03:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Watched Drag Me to Heck last night.

Fun movie. Much more tame than I expected. Pacing was perfect and so was Alison Lohman in the lead. Justin Long....meh. He was just "there". Some really funny and gross moments. A horror movie for the family.

Maybe I'll check out the unrated version today for comparison.