October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....) - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 130Likes

post #361 of 10617 Old 10-18-2009, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post

By the way, Airboss, you are doing incredible with 64 movies already. Way to go.

Thanks yankeeman, the weather around here is making it easy for me to watch movies all day; it's either raining or too cold and damp to do anything outside. Yesterday was a perfect example.

"Marines have no qualms about killing Martians"

2011 List

2009 List

2008 List
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 10617 Old 10-18-2009, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 164
18. A Tale of Two Sisters (first-time viewing)
I'm surprised I hadn't heard about this movie sooner, it is that good. I was a bit lost through a lot of the movie, but it made a lot more sense by the ending. I really want to see this one again now that I've put together a lot of things. A good mystery and very scary too!

19. Dance of the Dead
I first saw this one during last year's horror marathon; I believe Airboss recommended it and he hasn't steered me wrong yet. Very fun and funny! It held up well to a second viewing and I suspect I will continue to watch this for years to come.

2009 Horror Movie Marathon List:
1. The Golem
2. Onibaba
3. Fire in the Sky
4. Abbot & Costello Meet Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde
5. Jack Brooks: Monster Slayer
6. Ju-On
7. The Fearless Vampire Killers
8. The Girl Next Door (2007)
9. Deep Red
10. Deadgirl
11. Frightmare
12. Zombieland
13. Paranormal Activity
14. The Nightmare Before Christmas
15. Deathdream (aka Dead of Night)
16. Trick 'r Treat
17. Mother of Tears
18. A Tale of Two Sisters
19. Dance of the Dead

"I'LL SHOW YOU THE LIFE OF THE MIND!!!" - Barton Fink
post #363 of 10617 Old 10-18-2009, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Oct 17th-

65. "Teenage Mutant Horror Comet Zombies" or as it's better known "Night of the Comet" - "A comet wipes out most of life on Earth, leaving two Valley Girls to fight the evil types who survive."

I love this movie, it is one of my all time favorite horror movies! Not sure what it is about this movie that I find so entertaining but I enjoy this movie every time I watch it. If you haven't seen it check it out. Not real scary, not a lot of gore, just an entertaining EotW popcorn flix for the whole family.

66. "The Insatiable" - A drab, run-of-the-mill guy witnesses a vampiress devour a bum and becomes so infatuated with her, he tracks her down and traps her in a basement so she can't kill again."

To my surprise this turned out to be a good movie; fun and entertaining with some humor.

"The Insatiable" will be showing on Syfy Wed. Oct. 21 7:30 AM. The Syfy version has been edited so if you can rent it from NF or BB.

Rental recommended.

67. "Tormented" - "A popular clique of high-schoolers bullying leads fellow student Darren to hang himself. Darren comes back from the dead to take revenge on his tormentors."

IFC describes "The Tormented" as "Gossip Girl" meets "Scream". I would call it more a "Skins" meets "Heathers". If you're a fan of "Skins" you'll be pleased to see 'April Pearson', 'Alex Pettyfer', and 'Larissa Wilson' from the cast of that hit BBC series in "The Tormented".

This one falls into the "Not great, but not bad" category for me.

Tormented will make its US debut on a Video On Demand service called Festival Direct on October 21, 2009.

68. "Gacy" - "Based on a true story of serial killer a model citizen, loving father and husband and serial killer John Wayne Gacy, a man with over 30 dead men and boys entombed in the crawl space underneath his house which he shared with his family."

A very fictionalized screenplay leave this movie lacking. For a more historically accurate movie watch the 1993 TV mini series "To Catch A Killer" starring 'Brian Dennehy' as 'John Wayne Gacy'.

"Gacy" airs Wed. Oct. 28 1:40 AM on TMC

69. "Linkeroever" (Left Bank) - "The story of Marie, a professional runner who has just qualified for the European Championships. Marie meets Bobby, the head of the archery guild. Bobby lives on the elusive left bank of Antwerp in a creepy apartment building which has a dark history going all the way back to the Medieval period. After moving in with Bobby, Marie injures her leg. Plagued by increasingly bizarre visions, some of them apparently involving a black well in the basement, Marie starts missing out on her period and her wound grows ever more grotesque..."

Another great movie from Belgium! See full review here.

Highly Recommended!

Best of the day - "Linkeroever"

2011 List

2009 List

2008 List
post #364 of 10617 Old 10-18-2009, 08:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Well, made it through the vampire weekend with the family and I'm almost back on track for 31. No time for official reviews right now but we watched: Twilight (will not be reviewed as it's not really a horror film), Vampires (John Carpenter), Interview With a Vampire (also not necessarily a horror flick but will be reviewed) and 30 Days of Night (a repeat from last year).

We planned to get a few more in, but too much drinking and socializing along with a loooong game of Balderdash put us slightly behing schedule.

I think the plan is to watch Near Dark tonight to complete the vampire soiree. We'll have to see what happens with this Bears game though.
post #365 of 10617 Old 10-18-2009, 10:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 295
ok so I got the post linked in my sig up do date and here's my SitRep.

The wife was gracious enough to watch Session 9 with me Friday night... that one really got to her, ended up being one of those "what could you possible take away from something like this that you enjoy"? (Don't worry I watched The Proposal Sat night and all was right in the world.)

Later Sat night I watched the 1999 remake of House on Haunted Hill. This was a great movie and I found it had some damn scary moments for me. Unfortunately what was great ended up being ruined by the obligatory terrible and cheesy CGI in the last 20 minutes and not even the great Geoffrey Rush was enough to save this. I gave it 3 stars because the first 40 min were just great.

I'm finishing The Thing remake 1982... one of time favs, this is a perfect horror movie imo.

btw - Mother Of Tears did not come so I'll have it Monday and Ghost Story will ship next. Sounds like the remaining Saw movies are on the list as the wife is interested in the story now

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

post #366 of 10617 Old 10-19-2009, 06:53 AM

Airboss -Glad you enjoyed "Silk", it is definitely in my top 3 viewed this month thus far.

I caught a showing of "Paranormal Activity" while visiting a prospective new neighborhood (we're moving soon) and found it fairly enjoyable. I didn't really feel like it was anything that "[REC]"/"Quarantine" hadn't already achieved, as far as perspective, but it was a creepy movie just the same. The girlfriend hasn't been able to get a good night's sleep since...

Followed that up with a viewing of "The Burrowers" at home on Sunday night and was less than impressed.
post #367 of 10617 Old 10-19-2009, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Oct 18th-

70. "Dog Soldiers" - "A squad of British soldiers on training in the lonesome Scottish wilderness find a wounded Special Forces captain and the carnaged remains of his team. As they encounter zoologist Megan, it turns out that werewolves are active in the region. They have to prepare for some action as the there will be a full moon tonight..."

This is another one of my all time favorite horror movies I never tire of. If you've not seen "Dog Soldiers" you owe it to yourself to check it out.

71. "Black Moon" (1934) - A young girl who lives on a tropical island loses her parents to a voodoo sacrifice, but although she manages to escape the island, a curse is put on her. Years later, as an adult, she feels a strong compulsion to return to the island to confront her past. Her husband, her daughter and her nanny go with her, but once back on the island, the woman finds herself elevated by the locals to the stature of a voodoo goddess, and she begins her inevitable descent into madness, with disastrous results for her family."

If you enjoy the B&W horror movies of the 30's then this one's for you. 'Fay Wrey' and VooDoo... what more could you ask for? "Black Moon" is one of the last pre-code pictures and it holds nothing back.

72. "Night of the Dead; Leben Tod" - "Pregnant and frightened, Anais is not allowed to leave the specialized hospital where her husband, Peter has a medical internship with his uncle, Dr. Gabriel Schreklich, a man with a serum that can resurrect the dead. But things go terribly wrong and the Ghouls take over the hospital. Now, the only way for Anais to save her unborn baby is to get one of the Ghouls to help her to escape."

This is one of those movies where bad is good. The acting, the directing, the props, and the accents are horrible, you'll have a great time laughing at this gory "horror movie". This film is so bad that even the foley sfx are funny (very funny!). I found myself rewinding many scenes because I could not believe what I had just seen or heard. Be warned it is extremely gory, tons of fake blood and guts everywhere.

Best of the day - "Dog Soldiers"

2011 List

2009 List

2008 List
post #368 of 10617 Old 10-19-2009, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Well, i am back to watching. This morning, the 19th, I watched THE THING by John Carpenter. Kenobi, you said you were watching this too. It was the next one on my list, thats 15 movies for me, i gotta try to catch up in the last week of this month when my wife is out of town, i am pumped to make it to the 31, or if not, as close to that as possible.

The Thing, just great. John Carpenter took an old simplistic movie and remade it into a modern superb intense horror movie with a great premise and great special effects. I can see the roots of the great movie Alien in this one. This is a true classic. Enjoyed it immensely.

Let us know what you think of Mother of Tears when you see it. I dont think Suspiria and Inferno are gonna come in time, Amazon is estimating an Oct 26th ship date, so i probably wont get a chance to see them, i will continue with my list for now.

never take life seriously
post #369 of 10617 Old 10-19-2009, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, i am back to watching. This morning, the 19th, I watched THE THING by John Carpenter. Kenobi, you said you were watching this too. It was the next one on my list, thats 15 movies for me, i gotta try to catch up in the last week of this month when my wife is out of town, i am pumped to make it to the 31, or if not, as close to that as possible.

The Thing, just great. John Carpenter took an old simplistic movie and remade it into a modern superb intense horror movie with a great premise and great special effects. I can see the roots of the great movie Alien in this one. This is a true classic. Enjoyed it immensely.

Let us know what you think of Mother of Tears when you see it. I dont think Suspiria and Inferno are gonna come in time, Amazon is estimating an Oct 26th ship date, so i probably wont get a chance to see them, i will continue with my list for now.

I'll be watching MoT tonight so will report back. I'm signing up for the free trial of amazon prim today. I figure this will guarantee my my copy of Orphan and the new Pink Martini CD no later than Friday 10/30 and I can order Star Trek and Fight Club with the free 2 day shipping before my free trial is over

My Rig

post #370 of 10617 Old 10-19-2009, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 34
So far this month. I should hit my target of 31 movies easy.

Zombie Stippers (Stippers and zombies...yum)
Black sheep (undead sheep, what fun!)
Seventh moon (Creepy much more then They wait)
Zombie Land (who has not seen this yet? Very nice)
The Thing (Classic)
Bubba Ho-Tep (Elvis vs the Mummy)
Slient Hill (I love watching this)
The perfect Witness
Sick Nurses (good J-horror and bad all in the same movie)
Frost Bitten (ok just no direction)
The Children
The Kingdom (could not get into this but decent concept)
Plague Town
Grace (Chick flick Horror not a bad thing)
End of the line (very nice indy movie)
They wait (creepy)
Salvage (slow paced but worth it in the end)
Scourge (Much better then I expected,worth it)
Believers (Not what I expected, but enjoyable)
The Last Winter (Yawn)
Jennier's Body (Chick flick horror)
Friday the 13th remake (high budget slasher done well)
I am Legend ( I think they should have gone with the alt ending, much better then the one they released IMO)
post #371 of 10617 Old 10-19-2009, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

20. Nightmare (first-time viewing)
I had to work in some Hammer Horror to my viewing list. This was a half-decent early 60's Hammer film. A little short on sympathetic or interesting characters but sometimes effectively creepy, but not enough of the time. We've seen all the standard elements of a these kind of psychological horror thrillers before: creepy house, woman doubting her sanity, a conspiracy, etc. so there's not much new here.

1. The Golem
2. Onibaba
3. Fire in the Sky
6. Ju-On
9. Deep Red
10. Deadgirl
11. Frightmare
12. Zombieland
13. Paranormal Activity
16. Trick 'r Treat
17. Mother of Tears
19. Dance of the Dead
20. Nightmare

post #372 of 10617 Old 10-19-2009, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Big ups for both "The Thing" and "Dog Soldiers"! The Thing is definitely Top 10 of all time horror stuff. Dog Soldiers is one of the best of the past decade--very original and entertaining, scary too!

post #373 of 10617 Old 10-19-2009, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Not in the same ballpark as you guys, but so far:
Children of the Corn 2009
Prince of Darkness
Halloween 2007
Carver
Shutter
The Amityville Horror 2005
Conjurer
Feast

And have to add:
Zombieland
Gremlins
The Lady in the Water
Mother of Tears
Ghoulies
The Gathering
Near Dark
Grace
Carrie
The Mist
The Guardian

Looks to be a fair attempt at keeping up with you guys. 18 so far, and these are marathons, not one a days. I should be able to hit 31 pretty easy.
post #374 of 10617 Old 10-19-2009, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

.... I'm signing up for the free trial of amazon prim today. I figure this will guarantee my my copy of Orphan and the new Pink Martini CD no later than Friday 10/30 and I can order Star Trek and Fight Club with the free 2 day shipping before my free trial is over

I love Amazon Prime! I save a ton of money on shipping and get everything 2nd day for free and the $3.99 overnight is always there if I'm in a hurry.

2011 List

2009 List

2008 List
post #375 of 10617 Old 10-19-2009, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 118
My Netflix are finally coming in so I can see what some of you guys have been watching. Frostbitten, The Girl Next Door & Exorcist 3 will hopefully be seen this week.

Tonight's feature was Seventh Moon. If this movie came out 9 years ago it would have kicked ass. Kinda creepy with
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
scary creatures (?). Some good jumps and frightening imagery. Although very freaky looking, I felt the creatures were too "descent-like". Also too many "why did they/he/she just do that" moments.

Seventh Moon wins the award for the shakiest camera work EVER. That stuff usually doesn't bother me but it seemed overboard here. My eyes!

BTW - you guys are all kicking ass. Is it me or is this year more fun than last?!

The above post is 100% medically accurate

31 Days of Horror:

post #376 of 10617 Old 10-19-2009, 11:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mother of Tears - Ok, I really wanted to like this one but think I may have been a little overly excited to see it. If there is one thing I have 0 tolerance for it is brutality against young children and the scenes in this movie were much more than I would have cared to see in that regard. Aside from that
Spoiler  
the images of her mom and the spirit world were very cheesy for a recent movie and the acting was really really bad. Ok and why did two women working in an archeologist restoration department handle ancient artifacts without gloves? Why did the cops tell those guys in the street with a 28 year old girl named Sarah without giving a description? Sorry those two things just bothered me

After my gripes I will say that the story and premiss of the whole movie was excellent and I found it very interesting with a lot of potential but just executed supremely terribly and with oodles of CHEESE!

Ghost Story tomorrow night... hope I like it better

My Rig

post #377 of 10617 Old 10-19-2009, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzack View Post

Watched Drag Me to Heck last night.

Fun movie. Much more tame than I expected. Pacing was perfect and so was Alison Lohman in the lead. Justin Long....meh. He was just "there". Some really funny and gross moments. A horror movie for the family.

Maybe I'll check out the unrated version today for comparison.

hahaha...i agree, the old lady was kinda creepy and i like the fight she put up but other than that.....the rest is pretty mediocre.
post #378 of 10617 Old 10-20-2009, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

Mother of Tears -

After my gripes I will say that the story and premiss of the whole movie was excellent and I found it very interesting with a lot of potential but just executed supremely terribly and with oodles of CHEESE!

Kenobi, I agree the apparition part was pretty cheesy and it took away from the movie. It gave it this weird Disney flick vibe. As for the more taboo violence, well, that's just what you expect from Argento. He will do anything for a shock.

I think your reactions are justified, given the enthusiasm a lot of us (including me) have had for this movie. I think most people are so used to seeing restrained, tasteful movies that they can be a little off-put by Argento's excesses. He is deliberately outrageous at times. There's a good article on DVD Talk about this movie and it talks about his style of filmmaking and how it is just not seen much any more in this country.
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/34714/mother-of-tears/

post #379 of 10617 Old 10-20-2009, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

21. Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1931) (first-time viewing)
It's easy to see why this is considered superior to the 1941 version of the movie. This movie brings to light Dr. Jekyll's real motivations for doing what he does: his sex drive! This movie features, among other things, a barely covered naked woman in a bed kissing the doctor, probably a movie first at the time. No wonder the man's hormones raged out of control! Mr. Hyde's manner is mostly comical to our modern eyes, what with his ape-like twitchiness, but some of the transformation scenes are still creepy.

1. The Golem
2. Onibaba
3. Fire in the Sky
6. Ju-On
9. Deep Red
10. Deadgirl
11. Frightmare
12. Zombieland
13. Paranormal Activity
16. Trick 'r Treat
17. Mother of Tears
19. Dance of the Dead
20. Nightmare
21. Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde (1931)

post #380 of 10617 Old 10-20-2009, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Oct 19th-

73. "Carrie" (2002) - "Carrie White is a lonely and painfully shy teenage girl with telekinetic powers who is slowly pushed to the edge of insanity by frequent bullying from both classmates at her school, and her own religious, but abusive, mother."

This 'made for TV' remake of the 1976 "Carrie" first aired exactly 26 years and one day after the original first hit theaters. Overall not as good as the original but in casting at least a little better. Not bad until the destruction starts at the prom, some of the SFX are pretty cheesy.

'Angela Bettis' who portrays "Carrie" starred in another great movie to watch during "Horrorfest", "May". If you haven't seen "May" you should check it out.

74. "Yi boh lai beng duk" (Ebola Syndrome) - A restaurant employee wanted for murder contracts Ebola by raping a woman in South Africa and starts an outbreak there and in Hong Kong when he returns home."

This movie is the grossest movie I've watched so far. Be warned, do not watch this movie while eating! After watching "Ebola Syndrome" you may never want to go out and eat at a restaurant again. "Ebola Syndrome" is not scary or spooky, it's just nasty, gross and disgusting.

75. "Loft" (2005)- "A prize-winning writer, Leiko, moves to a quiet sub-urban house to finish up her new novel with a help from the editor. That night while sleeping, she sees a man in a storage room transporting an object wrapped in cloth. She soon finds out that he is a renowned archaeologist, Professor Yoshioka, researching ancient mummies, and that object was a recently discovered mummy. Working late on her book, Leiko witnesses a ghost and finds out that her room once belonged to a woman who had been missing for a while. This brings unexplainable fear to Leiko as she starts to uncover more stories from the past."

Very boring, slow moving film from 'Kiyoshi Kurosawa', the director of "Kairo" (Pulse).

Best of the day - "Carrie"

2011 List

2009 List

2008 List
post #381 of 10617 Old 10-20-2009, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Kenobi, i too get very guilty of over-expectations for a movie, and i watch it then find i am disappointed. However, later on i will watch it again, this time with lessor expectations, and then i find i love it. Give MOT another try in a couple of months. Also though, if you have a problem with a certain type of horror, that cant be helped. My tastes run over the top, and basically nothing is off-limits for me.

I just watched my 16th movie, and again, i am talking about it for MY taste, which i think is a bit further out there than even most horror fans, but the movie is FRONTIERS, the French horror film. This one for me is absolutely in my top ten of all time. The incredible terror and gore, the great cast and setting, the plot, the awesome make-up and effects, this movie just really keeps hitting you, i love this movie beyond belief. This is truly what a great horror film should be.

post #382 of 10617 Old 10-20-2009, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

....My tastes run over the top, and basically nothing is off-limits for me.

yankeeman, since you like 'over the top' be sure to check out "Yi boh lai beng duk" (Ebola Synodrome).

2011 List

2009 List

2008 List
post #383 of 10617 Old 10-20-2009, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

That looks great Airboss. How did you know i am very interested in Ebola and viruses in real life, i look for books about viral diseases and germ warfare, so this movie looks right up my alley! Thanks bud.

post #384 of 10617 Old 10-20-2009, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Before Suspiria I'd only heard of Agrento and was not familiar with his stuff or style. I don't mind shock but I'm a father of a little girl coming up on 2 here in a few months so I just don't want to see that stuff, especially when it shows every detail and leaves nothing for the imagination. As I said I did really like the story and that's probably the saving grace for the movie but the terrible acting and cheesy spirit images were just too bad to give this one a pass.

I have seen Inside, Martyrs, and Frontiers. Inside was the only one that I really appreciated for the sheer terror and most disturbing thing I've seen. Frontiers felt like something I'd kind of already seen in other films and Martyrs kinda lost its appeal after Ana was captured. I found the end/concept somewhat interesting but again expected more after all the hype it had received.

For me out of the movies I've watched for the first time this month I'd say the ones I've enjoyed most have been Suspiria and Trick R Treat.

My Rig

post #385 of 10617 Old 10-20-2009, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Hey Guys, tonight TCM is hosting a special event featuring director William Castle.

All times are EDST:

8:00 PM Mr. Sardonicus (1961)
A man whose face is frozen in a horrible smile forces a doctor to treat him. Cast: Oskar Homolka, Ronald Lewis, Audrey Dalton. Dir: William Castle. BW-90 mins, TV-PG, CC, Letterbox Format

9:45 PM Strait-Jacket (1964)
Murder follows an axe murderer home when she's released from a mental hospital. Cast: Joan Crawford, Diane Baker, George Kennedy. Dir: William Castle. BW-93 mins, TV-14, CC, Letterbox Format

11:22 PM Short Film: Joan Crawford Biography (1962) - BW-4 mins

11:30 PM Tingler, The (1959)
A scientist discovers an organism that lives on fear. Cast: Vincent Price, Judith Evelyn, Darryl Hickman. Dir: William Castle. BW-82 mins, TV-PG, CC, Letterbox Format

1:00 AM 13 Ghosts (1960)
A family inherits a house haunted by 13 ghosts and a living killer. Cast: Charles Herbert, Rosemary DeCamp, Martin Milner. Dir: William Castle. BW-82 mins, TV-PG, Letterbox Format

2:30 AM Old Dark House, The (1963)
An eccentric millionaire invites a car salesman to visit his decaying family home. Cast: Tom Poston, Robert Morley, Janette Scott. Dir: William Castle. BW-86 mins, TV-PG, CC, Letterbox Format

BTW, the "The William Castle Film Collection (13 Frightened Girls / 13 Ghosts / Homicidal / Strait-Jacket / The Old Dark House / Mr. Sardonicus / The Tingler / Zotz!)" was released today. Available from Amazon.com as well as TCM (cheaper at Amazon $59.99 with free 2nd day air for Prime).

William Castle Film Collection contents: (placed in Spoiler tags to reduce space on the page).
Spoiler  
The William Castle Film Collection

The master of ballyhoo who became a brand name in movie horror with his outrageous audience participation gimmicks is remembered in this, The William Castle Film Collection.

DISC 1:

13 Frightened Girls (1963, 89 min.)
Castle launched a worldwide hunt for the prettiest girls from different countries to cast in 13 Frightened Girls!. The stunt helped generate publicity for the film about the thirteen daughters of international diplomats in a Swiss boarding school, who stir up trouble when they mess in the diplomatic affairs of their parents and a Russian spy is discovered murdered.

13 Ghosts (1960, 85 min.)
Castle aggressively promoted the film with floats going up and down Hollywood Blvd. with ghosts riding along, holding signs, touting the movie. He named the gimmick created for 13 Ghosts Illusion-O, which was a special hand-held piece of cardboard with two transparent colored strips, one red and one blue. If you wanted to see the ghosts in the film, you looked through one, but if you were too frightened, you could look through the other and they weren't visible. The film promised and delivered 13 Times the Thrills! 13 Times the Chills! 13 Times the Fun! for the story of a family who inherits a haunted house, but discover a special pair of goggles that allows them to see their ghostly tormentors. The film starred Martin Milner (TV's Adam-12) and Margaret Hamilton (The Wizard of Oz).

BONUS FEATURES:

* Featurette: The Magic of Illusion-O
* Original Theatrical Trailers
* Original British trailer introduction for 13 Frightened Girls
* Original Candy Web trailer for 13 Frightened Girls
* Original Candy Web theatrical opening message from William Castle for 13 Frightened Girls
* Original Candy Web theatrical closing message from William Castle for 13 Frightened Girls
* Alternate opening (British) for 13 Frightened Girls
* Alternate opening (Swedish) for 13 Frightened Girls
* Alternate opening (French) for 13 Frightened Girls
* Alternate opening (German) for 13 Frightened Girls

DISC 2:

Homicidal (1961, 87 min.)
In Homicidal, the brutal stabbing murder of a justice-of-the-peace sparks an investigation of the dark family secrets in a sleepy small town. Castle promoted the film with a Fright Break, a 45-second timer during the film's climax as the heroine approached a house harboring the sadistic killer. The voiceover advised the audience of the time remaining in which they could leave the theatre and receive a full refund if they were too frightened to see the rest of the film. To ensure filmgoers did not opt for the refund, Castle instituted the Coward's Corner. Patrons were expected to follow yellow footsteps up the theater aisle, bathed in a yellow light and sit in a yellow cardboard booth in the theater lobby. Castle included a nurse offering a blood-pressure test, a recording blaring Watch the chicken! Watch him shiver in Coward's Corner, and required them to sign a yellow Coward's Certificate card stating, I am a bona fide coward. Needless to say, very few filmgoers opted out of the screening.

Strait-Jacket (1964, 93 min.)
Advised by his financial backers to eliminate the gimmicks, Castle hired Hollywood's legendary Joan Crawford (The Women, Our Dancing Daughters) to star as an ax-murderess in this story of a mother, who, after a 20 year stay in an insane asylum for a double murder, visits her estranged daughter and raises suspicions about her odd behavior. At the last minute, Castle had cardboard axes handed out to patrons and sent Crawford on a nation-wide promotional tour of theaters showing the film.

BONUS FEATURES:

* Psychette: William Castle and Homicidal
* Homicidal Youngstown, Ohio Premiere
* Featurette: Battleaxe: The Making of Strait-Jacket
* Vintage Featurette: How to Plan a Movie Murder
* Joan Crawford Wardrobe Tests
* Joan Crawford Axe Test
* Strait-Jacket TV Spots

DISC 3:

Mr. Sardonicus (1961, 89 min.)
In this gothic tale set in 1880 London, a Baron's face is frozen into a permanently grotesque hideous smile after digging up his father's grave to retrieve a winning lottery ticket accidently left in his pocket. The gimmick allowed audiences to vote in a Punishment Poll during the climax of the film where Castle himself appears on screen to explain to the audience their options. Each member of the audience was given a card with a glow-in-the-dark thumb they could hold either up or down to decide if Mr. Sardonicus would be cured or die at the end of the film. Supposedly, no audience ever offered mercy and the villain was always punished.

The Old Dark House (1963, 86 min.)
Tom Posten (Zotz!) was again cast by Castle in this project about an American who sells cars in England who receives a mysterious invitation from an old, eccentric millionaire to visit his house in which he lives with his twin brother.

BONUS FEATURES:

* Featurette: Taking the Punishment Poll"
* Featurette: Ghost Story: Pilot (The New House)"
* Original Theatrical Trailer

DISC 4:

The Tingler (1959, 82 min.)
Legendary horror star Vincent Price (Edward Scissorhands) stars in The Tingler, the terrifying story of a docile creature that lives in the human spinal cord. They become activated by fright and can only be destroyed by screaming. In the film's finale, one of the creatures kills a mute woman because she was unable to scream and the creature is let loose in a movie theatre. Castle promoted the film with the gimmick of Percepto, where audiences would actually feel the sensations of the actors on the screen. To achieve this, theaters wired select seats with tiny motors underneath that would vibrate during key scenes in the movie. The certain members of the audience would get a tingling sensation and were encouraged to Scream - scream for your lives.

Zotz! (1962, 87 min.)
Tom Posten (TV's Newhart) finds a Zotz coin and discovers its awesome powers. After attempting to share its secret with the US government (where he is brushed off as a lunatic), his discovery captures the interest of foreign agents, who attempt to steal it. To promote the film, Castle provided each filmgoer with a magic coin which, unfortunately, did absolutely nothing.

BONUS FEATURES:

* Featurette: Scream For Your Lives: William Castle and The Tingler
* Featurette: Ghost Story: Graveyard Shift
* Alternate Drive-In Sequence for The Tingler
* Original Scream Sequence for The Tingler

DISC 5 (BONUS DISC):

* Spine Tingler! The William Castle Story

2011 List

2009 List

2008 List
post #386 of 10617 Old 10-20-2009, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Late congratulations on your fatherhood, Kenobi! I have a daughter who will be 2 years old on December 6th, and another daughter who turned 4 last month. Everyone keeps telling me in 10 years they will break my heart.

post #387 of 10617 Old 10-20-2009, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzack View Post

Tonight's feature was Seventh Moon. If this movie came out 9 years ago it would have kicked ass. Kinda creepy with...

Seventh Moon wins the award for the shakiest camera work EVER. That stuff usually doesn't bother me but it seemed overboard here. My eyes!

I caught this last night as well and enjoyed it much more than I thought I would. The shaky cam made my headache worse, but I was able to struggle through. I understand that the director was trying to make us feel as if we were there, but I can't help but wonder if that could have been accomplished without the annoyance.

I made it to movie #13 last night, so I have already hit my mini-goal. With no movies arriving in the mail today, it looks like I will have to find a catalog title to watch tonight.
post #388 of 10617 Old 10-20-2009, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LugNutX View Post

..... With no movies arriving in the mail today, it looks like I will have to find a catalog title to watch tonight.

Or tune to TMC for the William Castle marathon.

2011 List

2009 List

2008 List
post #389 of 10617 Old 10-20-2009, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob McLaughlin View Post

Late congratulations on your fatherhood, Kenobi! I have a daughter who will be 2 years old on December 6th, and another daughter who turned 4 last month. Everyone keeps telling me in 10 years they will break my heart.

Thanks! I'm trying hard to cherish this time it's already blazing by and I can't think of 10 years from now yet... talk about horror... eek!

So is anyone getting Dead Snow today?

My Rig

post #390 of 10617 Old 10-21-2009, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 707
So far....

Children of the Corn 2009
Prince of Darkness
Halloween 2007
Carver
Shutter
The Amityville Horror 2005
Conjurer
Feast
Zombieland
Gremlins
The Lady in the Water
Mother of Tears
Ghoulies
The Gathering
Near Dark
Grace
Carrie
The Mist
The Guardian
The Thing
Halloween 2
In the Company of Wolves (this was really good, I'd never seen or heard of it)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDqNOkd8vIY
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page