October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....) - Page 14 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 119Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #391 of 10596 Old 10-21-2009, 06:51 AM
Advanced Member
 
ApolloCreed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: MN
Posts: 841
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post

Let us know what you think of Mother of Tears when you see it. I dont think Suspiria and Inferno are gonna come in time, Amazon is estimating an Oct 26th ship date, so i probably wont get a chance to see them, i will continue with my list for now.

That's too bad. I must have got the jump on you when I placed my order because the whole set should be arriving tomorrow. Now that I'm seeing some of the negative comments about MOT, I wonder if I have been expecting too much. Oh well, I'll do my best to keep an open mind.

On a side note, I think I'm going to give Seventh Moon a try. I know many people hate Blair Witch/Cloverfield/Quarantine because of the "shaky cam", but honestly this type of filmmaking sits pretty well with me. You just have to put aside the fact that no one in real life would continue to record things when the s*@t hits the fan.

I finally finished Near Dark last night after falling asleep on Sunday and the wife and I added in The Strangers because I recently bought it on Blu-Ray. Page has been updated.
ApolloCreed is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #392 of 10596 Old 10-21-2009, 06:59 AM
Advanced Member
 
ApolloCreed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: MN
Posts: 841
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzack View Post

BTW - you guys are all kicking ass. Is it me or is this year more fun than last?!

No question. Definitely more fun. It's crazy how committed I am to this challenge. 13 was a walk in the park compared to 31 though.
ApolloCreed is offline  
post #393 of 10596 Old 10-21-2009, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Airboss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 2,838
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Oct 20th-

76. "The Omen" (2006) - "A remake of the 1976 horror classic The Omen (1976), an American official realizes that his young son may literally be the devil incarnate."

Been there, done that. Not as good as the original.

77. "Ghost Rider" - Based on the Marvel character, stunt motorcyclist Johnny Blaze gives up his soul to become a hellblazing vigilante, to fight against power hungry Blackheart, the son of the devil himself."

I didn't really like this the first time I saw it but since it was on FX though I'd give it a second chance..... same results.

78. "Secret Window" - "A writer is accused for plagiarism by a strange man, who then starts haunting him for "justice."

This was actually more enjoyable the second time around.

79. "From Hell" - "In Victorian Era London, a troubled clairvoyant police detective investigates the murders by Jack The Ripper."

Could have been much better, tame by today's standards.

80. "Strait-Jacket - "After a 20 year stay at an asylum for a double murder, a mother returns to her estranged daughter where suspicions arise about her behavior."

Couldn't help but laugh at the scene of the handy man
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
painting the car with a 3" paint brush

Although he's not credited, this was the first acting role for 'Lee Majors', see if you can spot him.

81. "The Tingler- "After much hard work, a pathologist discovers and captures a creature that lives in every vertebrate and grows when fear grips its host..."

Horror sure has changed since "The Tingler" was filmed, enjoyable but lame horror movie.

"The Tingler" is the earliest film to depict the use of LSD.

Best of the day - "From Hell"

"Marines have no qualms about killing Martians"

2011 List

2009 List

2008 List
Airboss is offline  
post #394 of 10596 Old 10-21-2009, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member
 
yankeeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: SOUTH FLORIDA
Posts: 2,463
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloCreed View Post

That's too bad. I must have got the jump on you when I placed my order because the whole set should be arriving tomorrow. Now that I'm seeing some of the negative comments about MOT, I wonder if I have been expecting too much. Oh well, I'll do my best to keep an open mind.

I read the Amazon thing wrong, i thought they said it would be shipped on the 26th, i have re-read it, and its says estimated delivery is the 26th, so if thats true, i will just make it.

As to MOT, like any other movie, dont go in with monstrous expectations, it WILL disappoint you, go in with an open mind and ENJOY.

Today i got up late and will watch my movie later in the day. I continue to stay in order of my original list, so i will be watching BROKEN later, like so many on my list, i have seen it, but dont remember much about it, so i look forward to the afternoon when wifey leaves the house and i watch it.

By the way, you guys posted that this year its more fun than last year (this thread and watching the movies), thats because last year I wasnt involved!!!!! ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

never take life seriously
yankeeman is offline  
post #395 of 10596 Old 10-21-2009, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Bob McLaughlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 1,472
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 164
22. Valerie and Her Week of Wonders (first-time viewing)
Alternately strange and a delight, this 1970 Czech movie barely qualifies as horror, despite the presence of mysterious cloaked vampires, magic earrings, lecherous rapist priests and a woman being burned at the stake. It's presented in such a glowing beautiful way, it's more like a daydream than a nightmare. Don't bother trying to make sense of this one, though, that would be an exercise in frustration. Just sit back and enjoy the scenery.

2009 Horror Movie Marathon List:
1. The Golem
2. Onibaba
3. Fire in the Sky
4. Abbot & Costello Meet Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde
5. Jack Brooks: Monster Slayer
6. Ju-On
7. The Fearless Vampire Killers
8. The Girl Next Door (2007)
9. Deep Red
10. Deadgirl
11. Frightmare
12. Zombieland
13. Paranormal Activity
14. The Nightmare Before Christmas
15. Deathdream (aka Dead of Night)
16. Trick 'r Treat
17. Mother of Tears
18. A Tale of Two Sisters
19. Dance of the Dead
20. Nightmare
21. Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde (1931)
22. Valerie and Her Week of Wonders

"I'LL SHOW YOU THE LIFE OF THE MIND!!!" - Barton Fink
Bob McLaughlin is offline  
post #396 of 10596 Old 10-21-2009, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member
 
ApolloCreed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: MN
Posts: 841
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Airboss, I couldn't agree with you more on Ghost Rider. That is the biggest POS I've seen as far as comic book movies as concerned. Gigantic disappointment!

You didn't seem overly impressed with From Hell. Like I wrote on my page, I personally think this is a fantastic movie for the most part. Oh well, different strokes.....

Btw, nice work so far. To think that I'm unable to keep up with 1 a day.
ApolloCreed is offline  
post #397 of 10596 Old 10-21-2009, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Airboss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 2,838
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloCreed View Post

You didn't seem overly impressed with From Hell. Like I wrote on my page, I personally think this is a fantastic movie for the most part. Oh well, different strokes.....

I enjoyed "From Hell" and found the story to be very compelling. Unlike you, I felt it was lacking in the blood and gore department (except for perhaps the last kill). It pales in comparison to some of the recent movies (as far as blood and gore is concerned), but the story holds up very well. One annoying factor for me throughout the movie was 'Robbie Coltrane' as Sergeant Peter Godley, his acting was not up to par and I felt he was miscast. On the other hand. I agree with you, 'Johnny Depp' as Inspector Frederick Abberline was excellent.

I watched the SD DVD on my 40" HDTV, I probably would have enjoyed it more if I had watched the BD version, as you did, and fired up my projector (133" screen)

"Marines have no qualms about killing Martians"

2011 List

2009 List

2008 List
Airboss is offline  
post #398 of 10596 Old 10-21-2009, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Wytchone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: LaPlace, La.
Posts: 4,578
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 34
From Hell was PG-13 so he went with Gross vs Gore. Now had they let him do a rated R From Hell....
Wytchone is offline  
post #399 of 10596 Old 10-21-2009, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member
 
General Kenobi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kalifornistan
Posts: 5,864
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboss View Post

78. "Secret Window" - "A writer is accused for plagiarism by a strange man, who then starts haunting him for "justice."

This was actually more enjoyable the second time around.

I loved Secret Window... I mean it was fairly predictable but still a great movie and who wouldn't love to eat a giant bowl of corn cobs

I watched An American Werewolf in London last night - Easily the greatest werewolf flick ever made and in my top 5 all time favorite horror movies.

We were supposed to watch Ghost Story but I was studying late and wife was working in the office and she wants to watch that one too so it's sidelined for the weekend.

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

 

2012

2011

2010

2009

General Kenobi is online now  
post #400 of 10596 Old 10-21-2009, 10:25 AM
Advanced Member
 
ApolloCreed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: MN
Posts: 841
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboss View Post

I enjoyed "From Hell" and found the story to be very compelling. Unlike you, I felt it was lacking in the blood and gore department (except for perhaps the last kill). It pales in comparison to some of the recent movies (as far as blood and gore is concerned), but the story holds up very well. One annoying factor for me throughout the movie was 'Robbie Coltrane' as Sergeant Peter Godley, his acting was not up to par and I felt he was miscast. On the other hand. I agree with you, 'Johnny Depp' as Inspector Frederick Abberline was excellent.

I watched the SD DVD on my 40" HDTV, I probably would have enjoyed it more if I had watched the BD version, as you did, and fired up my projector (133" screen)

Come to think of it, you're right. It didn't necessarily have disturbing and graphic images. They were just described as being that way. I think I was using my imagination a little bit. Either way though, it doesn't change my impressions of the movie.
ApolloCreed is offline  
post #401 of 10596 Old 10-21-2009, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Airboss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 2,838
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytchone View Post

From Hell was PG-13 so he went with Gross vs Gore. Now had they let him do a rated R From Hell....

According to IMDB it was rated "R".

Additional Details
Also Known As:Jack (USA) (working title)

MPAA:Rated R for strong violence/gore, sexuality, language and drug content.
Parents Guide:View content advisory for parents
Runtime:122 min
Country:USA
Language:English
Color:Color
Aspect Ratio:2.35 : 1 more
Sound MixTS | Dolby Digital
Certification:Iceland:16 | Malaysia:18SG | South Korea:18 | Brazil:16 (re-rating) | Argentina:13 | Australia:MA | Brazil:18 | Canada:18A | Finland:K-18 | France:-12 | Germany:16 | Hong Kong:III | Japan:R-15 | Mexico:C | Netherlands:16 | New Zealand:R16 | Norway:15 | Peru:18 | Philippines:R-18 | Portugal:M/16 | Singapore:M18 | Singapore:PG (cut) | Spain:18 | Sweden:15 | Switzerland:16 (canton of Geneva) | Switzerland:16 (canton of Vaud) | UK:18 | USA:R (certificate #38515)

The only place it was PG was the edited version in Singapore.

"Marines have no qualms about killing Martians"

2011 List

2009 List

2008 List
Airboss is offline  
post #402 of 10596 Old 10-21-2009, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member
 
ApolloCreed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: MN
Posts: 841
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboss View Post

According to IMDB it was rated "R".

Additional Details
Also Known As:Jack (USA) (working title)

MPAA:Rated R for strong violence/gore, sexuality, language and drug content.
Parents Guide:View content advisory for parents
Runtime:122 min
Country:USA
Language:English
Color:Color
Aspect Ratio:2.35 : 1 more
Sound MixTS | Dolby Digital
Certification:Iceland:16 | Malaysia:18SG | South Korea:18 | Brazil:16 (re-rating) | Argentina:13 | Australia:MA | Brazil:18 | Canada:18A | Finland:K-18 | France:-12 | Germany:16 | Hong Kong:III | Japan:R-15 | Mexico:C | Netherlands:16 | New Zealand:R16 | Norway:15 | Peru:18 | Philippines:R-18 | Portugal:M/16 | Singapore:M18 | Singapore:PG (cut) | Spain:18 | Sweden:15 | Switzerland:16 (canton of Geneva) | Switzerland:16 (canton of Vaud) | UK:18 | USA:R (certificate #38515)

The only place it was PG was the edited version in Singapore.

I'm 99.5 % sure it's rated R as well.
ApolloCreed is offline  
post #403 of 10596 Old 10-21-2009, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
wizzack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Jersey
Posts: 2,454
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

So far....


Prince of Darkness

Ooh love this one. Scared the crap out of me!


Last night was tough to get a movie in. For the first time this month it seemed like a chore. Then once the movie started...wooooohooo! Bring it on. It really is a challenge some nights!

Can thread titles be changed? Maybe we can make this one "31 days of horror" instead of one a day.

So who else is thinking of movies they want to include NEXT YEAR?

The above post is 100% medically accurate

 

31 Days of Horror:

2013

2012
2011
2010
2009
2008

wizzack is offline  
post #404 of 10596 Old 10-21-2009, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
wizzack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Jersey
Posts: 2,454
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post


By the way, you guys posted that this year its more fun than last year (this thread and watching the movies), thats because last year I wasnt involved!!!!! ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

The more the merrier!


@Airboss, 133" screen? I'm jealous. What projector are you using? You're using the Oppo BD player correct?

The above post is 100% medically accurate

 

31 Days of Horror:

2013

2012
2011
2010
2009
2008

wizzack is offline  
post #405 of 10596 Old 10-21-2009, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
darthrsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Post America America
Posts: 8,471
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzack View Post

Ooh love this one. Scared the crap out of me!


Way back when I was little it was very freaky, now that I can understand the various theories put forth it is more scary now. Just this week some scientists said the Hadron Collider was being sabotaged from the future. Eerie.
darthrsg is online now  
post #406 of 10596 Old 10-21-2009, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Airboss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 2,838
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzack View Post

The more the merrier!


@Airboss, 133" screen? I'm jealous. What projector are you using? You're using the Oppo BD player correct?

My projector is JVC RS1 and depending on what disc I'm watching I will use either a Toshiba HD-XA2, Oppo BDP-83 or a Momitsu BDP-899. I also have a PS3 Slim hooked up and may use it if I've been playing games and decide to watch a BD movie. For up converting SD disc I've been leaning more toward the Momitsu over the Oppo, although both up convert very well.

I recently added an LG BD390 for upstairs and am considering adding another one in my theater, the streaming capabilities are a nice feature.

"Marines have no qualms about killing Martians"

2011 List

2009 List

2008 List
Airboss is offline  
post #407 of 10596 Old 10-21-2009, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
General Kenobi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kalifornistan
Posts: 5,864
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboss View Post

My projector is JVC RS1 and depending on what disc I'm watching I will use either a Toshiba HD-XA2, Oppo BDP-83 or a Momitsu BDP-899. I also have a PS3 Slim hooked up and may use it if I've been playing games and decide to watch a BD movie. For up converting SD disc I've been leaning more toward the Momitsu over the Oppo, although both up convert very well.

I recently added an LG BD390 for upstairs and am considering adding another one in my theater, the streaming capabilities are a nice feature.

Would you mind shooting me a PM after you've had some time with your BD390? I've read some complaints on it disconnecting from network and it's made me hesitant about picking one up. Also how do you like your Momitsu? That's the region free one yeah?

I just got shipping notification from BB for Dead Snow, should have it for tomorrow night. I will probably watch The Relic or Creepshow tonight... ok maybe Amityville remake.

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

 

2012

2011

2010

2009

General Kenobi is online now  
post #408 of 10596 Old 10-21-2009, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
yankeeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: SOUTH FLORIDA
Posts: 2,463
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Well, I have made my 17th now. BROKEN, a movie with a very small cast, limited set, but it creates a mood and keeps you watching and quite a few scenes are really not for the squeamish.

Dont know if i can make 31 this month, but i will keep plugging away. Baseball playoffs take precidence with the Yankees in them! If they lose, that would be the ultimate horror for me!

Like someone said above, i was starting to drag a little, feeling forced to watch a movie today, but then i got into it and was glad i did it.

Also like someone said above, yes, i have started thinking about doing this next year and what movies i may watch!

Do movies in theaters count towards the total? I havent been counting them since i thought this was at home only, but i have seen Zombieland, Pandorum, Final Destination 4, and Jennifers Body in the theater, and will be seeing Saw 6 soon. However, i dont remember exactly when i saw them, a couple might not have been in October, i just dont remember the dates. That would be 5 more to my total. Anyway, no matter how many i wind up watching, this is fun, and i love posting in this thread, and i love reading the comments from all you guys in this thread, its made October a special month for me this year. Thanks guys!

By the way, i too noticed that 133" (was that the dimension) of the Airboss screen. Geez, awesome dude. I got a 61" Sammy LED DLP, and i thought that was big. Now i have "screen envy".

never take life seriously
yankeeman is offline  
post #409 of 10596 Old 10-21-2009, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
General Kenobi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kalifornistan
Posts: 5,864
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post

Well, I have made my 17th now. BROKEN, a movie with a very small cast, limited set, but it creates a mood and keeps you watching and quite a few scenes are really not for the squeamish.

Dont know if i can make 31 this month, but i will keep plugging away. Baseball playoffs take precidence with the Yankees in them! If they lose, that would be the ultimate horror for me!

Like someone said above, i was starting to drag a little, feeling forced to watch a movie today, but then i got into it and was glad i did it.

Also like someone said above, yes, i have started thinking about doing this next year and what movies i may watch!

Do movies in theaters count towards the total? I havent been counting them since i thought this was at home only, but i have seen Zombieland, Pandorum, Final Destination 4, and Jennifers Body in the theater, and will be seeing Saw 6 soon. However, i dont remember exactly when i saw them, a couple might not have been in October, i just dont remember the dates. That would be 5 more to my total. Anyway, no matter how many i wind up watching, this is fun, and i love posting in this thread, and i love reading the comments from all you guys in this thread, its made October a special month for me this year. Thanks guys!

By the way, i too noticed that 133" (was that the dimension) of the Airboss screen. Geez, awesome dude. I got a 61" Sammy LED DLP, and i thought that was big. Now i have "screen envy".

Damn, so I guess my 58" Pany plasma means I have the "small screen" of the group

yankeeman - In theater flicks totally count man and I already have movies on my list for next year. Airboss had recommended some other upcoming French flicks a while back like Humains and a few others I can't recall that I believe we are still waiting for. Although I am not often impressed with some of the French horror stuff I do enjoy them and appreciate the pushing of the envelope and direction in which they are taking horror.

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

 

2012

2011

2010

2009

General Kenobi is online now  
post #410 of 10596 Old 10-21-2009, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Airboss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 2,838
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

Would you mind shooting me a PM after you've had some time with your BD390? I've read some complaints on it disconnecting from network and it's made me hesitant about picking one up. Also how do you like your Momitsu? That's the region free one yeah?

I just got shipping notification from BB for Dead Snow, should have it for tomorrow night. I will probably watch The Relic or Creepshow tonight... ok maybe Amityville remake.

So far I've had no problems with it disconnecting from the network. I haven't watched any movies via Vudu yet but plan on doing so soon. I've watched one movie via Netflix and had no problems. I've also watched several movies (avi., mkv, and vob files) streamed from my computer via the BD390 to my TV. The only problem I've run into is no menu or ff/rw on vob files as well as a short break in between each vob. The only thing I don't like about it is I cannot make it region free. I was going to replace my Oppo-981HD I have upstairs with the LG but now I have to keep the Oppo (for my other than region 1 disc).

Yep, the Momitsu is the Region Free one and I love it (purchased it before the option to make the Oppo BDP-83 Region Free was available and have no regrets).

"Marines have no qualms about killing Martians"

2011 List

2009 List

2008 List
Airboss is offline  
post #411 of 10596 Old 10-21-2009, 04:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 26,553
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboss View Post

Yep, the Momitsu is the Region Free one and I love it (purchased it before the option to make the Oppo BDP-83 Region Free was available and have no regrets).

Hmmm...interesting info.
I have been thinking of a Region Free player, but I haven't found BDs from other regions I couldn't live without.

Is the Oppo Region Free thru FW?
And when are they going to start making its price competitive?

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
oink is offline  
post #412 of 10596 Old 10-21-2009, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Airboss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 2,838
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Hmmm...interesting info.
I have been thinking of a Region Free player, but I haven't found BDs from other regions I couldn't live without.

Is the Oppo Region Free thru FW?
And when are they going to start making its price competitive?

Yes thru FW but I believe you can also get a hardware fix for it (at a cost). The Oppo Region Free has issues, check out the thread on it here. I don't even bother trying to use it region free, I use the Momitsu instead (and the PQ is outstanding,). Momitsu has a new smaller region free BD player, the BDP-799, for around the same price as the LG BD390. There are also cheaper 'clones' available.

"Marines have no qualms about killing Martians"

2011 List

2009 List

2008 List
Airboss is offline  
post #413 of 10596 Old 10-21-2009, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
General Kenobi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kalifornistan
Posts: 5,864
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboss View Post

Yes thru FW but I believe you can also get a hardware fix for it also (at a cost). The Oppo Region Free has issues, check out the thread on it here. I don't even bother trying to use it region free, I use the Momitsu instead (and the PQ is outstanding,). Momitsu has a new smaller region free BD player, the BDP-799, for around the same price as the LG BD390. There are also cheaper 'clones' available.

Tempting but seeing these recent BD players has me thinking I should wait for that Region Free with built in WiFi I also love my Pany BD55

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

 

2012

2011

2010

2009

General Kenobi is online now  
post #414 of 10596 Old 10-21-2009, 10:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 26,553
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboss View Post

Yes thru FW but I believe you can also get a hardware fix for it (at a cost). The Oppo Region Free has issues, check out the thread on it here. I don't even bother trying to use it region free, I use the Momitsu instead (and the PQ is outstanding,). Momitsu has a new smaller region free BD player, the BDP-799, for around the same price as the LG BD390. There are also cheaper 'clones' available.

Oppo advertises the 83 as being the ultimate Universal.
But if one already has outstanding SACD, DVD-A, DVD-Video, and only needs 24p from their BDs then I am not sure if the Oppo would be much benefit.

I have 3 generations of Panasonic BD players, but the wife wants another for her treadmill room.
All are going strong and never disappoint me performance-wise.
It's hard to justify $500 for the Oppo when a new Panny is only a couple of hundred bucks.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
oink is offline  
post #415 of 10596 Old 10-22-2009, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member
 
darthrsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Post America America
Posts: 8,471
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 704
I have to say, In the Company of Wolves is very awesome. So far the most original "horror" film I've watched in this marathon. Totally a new favorite. Dare I say some of the transformations are equal to the AWINL. Anybody seen this?
darthrsg is online now  
post #416 of 10596 Old 10-22-2009, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Airboss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 2,838
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Oct 21th-

82. "Broken (2006) - "After dating a wonderful man, Hope comes back home, sees her daughter Jennifer and goes to sleep. She wakes-up in the woods with a psychopath..."

"Broken" was interesting and irritating at the same time. If someone had
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
kidnapped you and your daughter, sewn a razor blade in your stomach, tied a rope around your neck, tied you to a tree standing on a unstable log and you're only means of escape was to dig the razor blade out of your stomach and cut the rope around your neck or you would die; then that same person tells you your daughter is dead, what would you do if you got the upper hand? Try to run away while leaving them capable or recapturing and torturing you or make sure they would never torture you again? Are stupid people the only ones kidnapped? How about the girl that would not shut up? Those two items irritated me, those aside, I enjoyed the the movie.


83. "The Broken" - On a busy street in London, Gina, a successful radiologist, thinks she sees herself drive past in her own car. Stunned by this strange event, Gina follows the mystery woman up to her apartment. From here, events take an eerie turn for the worse which leads to a car accident. Soon Gina's awareness slides from solid reality into a world that will haunt more than just her nightmares as she attempts to unravel the mystery where the only clue is a broken mirror."

I really enjoyed this one but many may not due to the time it takes to get things going. "The Broken" starts off very slow and things don't pick up until around the 50 min mark, after that it gets very interesting and at times very creepy. I found the cinematography and the director's style, which I thought added greatly to the over all 'feel' of the movie, very appealing. The soundtrack was just right and enhanced the creepiness and the suspense.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I loved the ambiguous ending but did see the twist coming (but only minutes before it was revealed).
"The Broken" was a breath of fresh air.

84. "Satanico Pandemonium (La sexorcista)" - "A young nun is tempted by visions of forbidden sexual fantasies to cross over to Satan."

Nunsploitation

Best of the day - "The Broken"

"Marines have no qualms about killing Martians"

2011 List

2009 List

2008 List
Airboss is offline  
post #417 of 10596 Old 10-22-2009, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Airboss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 2,838
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

I have to say, In the Company of Wolves is very awesome. So far the most original "horror" film I've watched in this marathon. Totally a new favorite. Dare I say some of the transformations are equal to the AWINL. Anybody seen this?


Yep, I've seen it. It's been awhile so I'm going to rewatch it today.

"Marines have no qualms about killing Martians"

2011 List

2009 List

2008 List
Airboss is offline  
post #418 of 10596 Old 10-22-2009, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member
 
darthrsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Post America America
Posts: 8,471
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboss View Post

Yep, I've seen it. It's been awhile so I'm going to rewatch it today.

Nicely executed gothic film. In the vein of Legend but with a classic horror slant.
darthrsg is online now  
post #419 of 10596 Old 10-22-2009, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Bob McLaughlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 1,472
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

I have to say, In the Company of Wolves is very awesome. So far the most original "horror" film I've watched in this marathon. Totally a new favorite. Dare I say some of the transformations are equal to the AWINL. Anybody seen this?

Yes, I watched it back in the 80's and recently watched it again within the past year. I like it for its weirdness and sexual subtext, and the transformation scenes are the icing on the cake.

"I'LL SHOW YOU THE LIFE OF THE MIND!!!" - Barton Fink
Bob McLaughlin is offline  
post #420 of 10596 Old 10-22-2009, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member
 
yankeeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: SOUTH FLORIDA
Posts: 2,463
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Watched my 18th dvd this morning, QUARENTINE. Many people compare this movie to REC and say REC was better, but i havent seen REC so i can just enjoy Quarentine on its own. I really enjoyed watching it, you feel like you are part of the movie, and that something can happen to you. You can see something like this happening in real life too one day. I enjoyed this a lot.


By the way, with all this equipment talk, i too have a Panny dvd player, i forget which model, i think its a BD50, not positive. Real happy with it, it plays everything without any firmware upgrades, which i wouldnt know how to do anyway. My home theater system is not hooked up to my computer, and i dont even have wifi in the house yet.

Back to the movie talk, it amazes me how many young girls are so good at portraying being scared and horrified. The producers find these people you never heard of to star in their movies, and so many of them are great in their roles. Its a good thing that we are not used to having big stars in our horror films, i feel it would be distracting, plus this way, it makes the movies cheap to produce, which makes for more horror movies being produced. The more the better!

never take life seriously
yankeeman is offline  
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off