October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....) - Page 15 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1649Likes

Old 10-22-2009, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 298
23. Blacula (first-time viewing)
Not nearly as bad as I was anticipating, but certainly not in danger of becoming a classic. I was expecting deliberate camp and comedy, but for the most part they play this straight. The movie's more hokey qualities came from the usual 70s blaxploitation cliches and some stereotyped depictions of gays. The jive-talkin' and club music make this kinda fun at times (not to mention William Marshall's titular performance), but it's hard to understand why this was included on the "101 Horror Movies You Must See Before You Die" list.

2009 Horror Movie Marathon List:
1. The Golem
2. Onibaba
3. Fire in the Sky
4. Abbot & Costello Meet Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde
5. Jack Brooks: Monster Slayer
6. Ju-On
7. The Fearless Vampire Killers
8. The Girl Next Door (2007)
9. Deep Red
10. Deadgirl
11. Frightmare
12. Zombieland
13. Paranormal Activity
14. The Nightmare Before Christmas
15. Deathdream (aka Dead of Night)
16. Trick 'r Treat
17. Mother of Tears
18. A Tale of Two Sisters
19. Dance of the Dead
20. Nightmare
21. Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde (1931)
22. Valerie and Her Week of Wonders
23. Blacula

"I'LL SHOW YOU THE LIFE OF THE MIND!!!" - Barton Fink
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2009, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post

Watched my 18th dvd this morning, QUARENTINE. Many people compare this movie to REC and say REC was better, but i havent seen REC so i can just enjoy Quarentine on its own. I really enjoyed watching it, you feel like you are part of the movie, and that something can happen to you. You can see something like this happening in real life too one day. I enjoyed this a lot.

By the way, with all this equipment talk, i too have a Panny dvd player, i forget which model, i think its a BD50, not positive. Real happy with it, it plays everything without any firmware upgrades, which i wouldnt know how to do anyway. My home theater system is not hooked up to my computer, and i dont even have wifi in the house yet.

Back to the movie talk, it amazes me how many young girls are so good at portraying being scared and horrified. The producers find these people you never heard of to star in their movies, and so many of them are great in their roles. Its a good thing that we are not used to having big stars in our horror films, i feel it would be distracting, plus this way, it makes the movies cheap to produce, which makes for more horror movies being produced. The more the better!

You should add REC to your queue maybe for a latter viewing. I thought it was scarier, especially towards the last 15 min. It was just done better imo and Manuella Valesco (sp?) was excellent, attractive, and far less annoying than the over acted efforts of Jennifer Carpinter. just my humble opinion

I'm with you guys on the Panys... I had a BD10 and now a BD55 and they have both been real work horses with no issues. I like having the option to put SD DVD's into 24p with it and it upconverts almost as good as my HDA2.

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

Old 10-22-2009, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

You should add REC to your queue maybe for a latter viewing. I thought it was scarier, especially towards the last 15 min. It was just done better imo and Manuella Valesco (sp?) was excellent, attractive, and far less annoying than the over acted efforts of Jennifer Carpinter. just my humble opinion

Sounds good Kenobi, but i am running out of time. I still have 5 more on my current list that i swore i would stick to, and i will, plus i have Suspiria and Inferno coming (probably Monday), so i will have to see what i can watch. There are only like 7 days left in October!!!!

never take life seriously
Old 10-22-2009, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Watched my 18th dvd this morning, QUARENTINE. Many people compare this movie to REC and say REC was better, but i havent seen REC so i can just enjoy Quarentine on its own. I really enjoyed watching it, you feel like you are part of the movie, and that something can happen to you. You can see something like this happening in real life too one day. I enjoyed this a lot.

By the way, with all this equipment talk, i too have a Panny dvd player, i forget which model, i think its a BD50, not positive. Real happy with it, it plays everything without any firmware upgrades, which i wouldnt know how to do anyway. My home theater system is not hooked up to my computer, and i dont even have wifi in the house yet.

Back to the movie talk, it amazes me how many young girls are so good at portraying being scared and horrified. The producers find these people you never heard of to star in their movies, and so many of them are great in their roles. Its a good thing that we are not used to having big stars in our horror films, i feel it would be distracting, plus this way, it makes the movies cheap to produce, which makes for more horror movies being produced. The more the better!

yankeeman, if you are talking about 'Jennifer Carpenter' who stars as Angela Vidal in "Quarantine" she is also one of the stars of "Dexter" on Showtime (portrays 'Debra Mogan', Dexter's sister).

BTW, "[Rec]" is better than Quarantine!

Can't wait to see "[Rec]2".

The action continues from [Rec], with the medical officer and a SWAT team outfitted with video cameras are sent into the sealed off apartment to control the situation.

"Marines have no qualms about killing Martians"

2011 List

2009 List

2008 List
Old 10-22-2009, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboss View Post

yankeeman, if you are talking about 'Jennifer Carpenter' who stars as Angela Vidal in "Quarantine" she is also one of the stars of "Dexter" on Showtime (portrays 'Debra Mogan', Dexter's sister).

BTW, "[Rec]" is better than Quarantine!

Can't wait to see "[Rec]2".

The action continues from [Rec], with the medical officer and a SWAT team outfitted with video cameras are sent into the sealed off apartment to control the situation.

Yeah, everyone says REC is better. As to Dexter, i dont get Showtime, just HBO unfortunetely, but gotta keep the cable tv bill reasonable or the wifey will go nuts, wait until i buy the Baseball Package at the start of next season!!!

Hey, REC 2 sounds good, didnt know about it. This thread and you guys are a wealth of information.

Old 10-22-2009, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

I found Airboss's post on French horror films to look out for but I don't see any US release dates, they all look like fairly recent theatrical releases so it may be a while. Might be good things to add to next years list,

Quote:

Upcoming French Horror Movies to look for:

01. Humains
02. Martyrs
03. Mutants
04. The Horde
05. The Pack
06. Vinyan (although it will be in English)

My Rig

Old 10-22-2009, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

The last part of [REC] was definitely stuff that made me very, very nervous! I have Quarantine in the queue.

Old 10-22-2009, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I found Airboss's post on French horror films to look out for but I don't see any US release dates, they all look like fairly recent theatrical releases so it may be a while. Might be good things to add to next years list,

Originally Posted by Airboss

Upcoming French Horror Movies to look for:

01. Humains
02. Martyrs
03. Mutants
04. The Horde
05. The Pack
06. Vinyan (although it will be in English)

Here's an update on the films mentioned:

01. Humains (Humans) - R2 DVD releases 28 Oct. 09 (unsure if it will be English friendly)
02. Martyrs - All ready released
03. Mutants - SD & Blu Ray DVD releases 17 Nov 09 (unsure if it will be English friendly)
04. La Horde (The Horde) - ??
05. La Meute (The Pack) - Releases in French theaters 9 Dec 09
06. Vinyan (Vinyan: Lost Souls ) - All ready released (I will be watching this one today or tomorrow).

One more to add to the list - Vertige (Dizziness) - R2 Releases 5 Nov 09 (unsure if it will be English friendly)

2011 List

2009 List

2008 List
Old 10-22-2009, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Here's an update on the films mentioned:

01. Humains (Humans) - R2 DVD releases 28 Oct. 09 (unsure if it will be English friendly)
02. Martyrs - All ready released
03. Mutants - SD & Blu Ray DVD releases 17 Nov 09 (unsure if it will be English friendly)
05. La Meute (The Pack) - Releases in French theaters 9 Dec 09
06. Vinyan (Vinyan: Lost Souls ) - All ready released (I will be watching this one today or tomorrow).

One more to add to the list - Vertige (Dizziness) - R2 Releases 5 Nov 09 (unsure if it will be English friendly)

You rock, thanks for the update! I have Vinyan in my queue, do you think that would be a worthy title to squeeze into the last days of the month?

I'd really like to see La Horde and La Meute.

My Rig

Old 10-22-2009, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You rock, thanks for the update! I have Vinyan in my queue, do you think that would be a worthy title to squeeze into the last days of the month?

I'd really like to see La Horde and La Meute.

Here's the review I wrote on it back in March.

2011 List

2009 List

2008 List
Old 10-22-2009, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Quote:

Have you seen this? I really want to see it

Last night I watched the Aussie flick Razorback. If you took Jaws, replaced the shark with a giant boar and removed the great story, acting, and suspense you'd have this piece of chit.

The best part was midway through it my wife woke up from a nap and wanted to hit Outback for dinner. No lie! So we went, had some Fosters and steak, watched the Phillies and then home to finish the movie. Good times!

The above post is 100% medically accurate

31 Days of Horror: 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009 2008
Old 10-22-2009, 10:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the link Airboss, I may try to squeeze that in.

Has anyone seen Pontypool? I'm starting Dead Snow right now and saw a trailer for it and thought it looked like it had potential so I added it to queue.

My Rig

Old 10-23-2009, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

24. Them (aka Ils) (first-time Viewing)
Who knew the French could put together an effective little horror thriller? If you fear bumps in the night and creaky houses, this has it in spades. Probably the most effective home-invasion movie scene since "Straw Dogs". The plot is a little thin and the movie is mostly one-note, but it's one note played very well. Entertaining and scary!

1. The Golem
2. Onibaba
3. Fire in the Sky
6. Ju-On
9. Deep Red
10. Deadgirl
11. Frightmare
12. Zombieland
13. Paranormal Activity
16. Trick 'r Treat
17. Mother of Tears
19. Dance of the Dead
20. Nightmare
23. Blacula
24. Them (aka Ils)

Old 10-23-2009, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Bob and Airboss thanks for the recommendation on Dance of the Dead. Wow I needed that! I could almost envision this being a series on the WB. Light hearted teen zombie comedy. I went into it last night looking for a good time and had one.

The above post is 100% medically accurate

31 Days of Horror: 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009 2008
Old 10-23-2009, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzack View Post

Have you seen this? I really want to see it

wizzack, no I haven't see "La Horde" yet. Not sure if it's been released; I haven't been able to find any info on theatrical/DVD release dates.

2011 List

2009 List

2008 List
Old 10-23-2009, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Oct 22th-

85. "Nekromantik" - "A street sweeper who cleans up after grisly accidents brings home a full corpse for him and his wife to enjoy sexually, but is dismayed to see that his wife prefers the corpse over him."

Graphic, gory and disturbing.

86. "Nekromantik 2" - A female nurse desperately tries to hide her feelings of necrophilia from her new boyfriend, but still has pieces of the corpse of the first movie's hero in her possession."

Graphic, gory and disturbing.

87. "Paranormal Activity" - After moving into a suburban home, a couple becomes increasingly disturbed by a nightly demonic presence."

I went in with very low expectations and came out pleasantly surprised. Some very creepy moments, which caused the hair on the back of my neck to stand on end and gave me a few goosebumps, made this a fun experience.

See it at a matinée or wait for the DVD (should be fun in your home theater).

88. "The Skeleton Key" - "A hospice nurse working at a spooky New Orleans plantation home finds herself entangled in a mystery involving the house's dark past."

Even knowing how this movies ends I still found it enjoyable.

89. "The Company of Wolves- "A bag full of symbolic folklore about werewolves, or, rather, their sexual connotation. Granny tells her granddaughter Rosaleen strange..."

Visually pleasing tale of werewolves.

The voiceover at the end of the film is the moral from Charles Perrault's original Little Red Riding Hood story, 'Le Petit Chaperon Rouge', which warns young girls always to be wary of charming strangers.

90. "August Underground- "Two serial killers go on a murdering rampage as one films the outcome from behind a video camera. One of the most realistically portrayed simulated snuff films."

Too real for comfort! This is INTENSE!

Best of the day - "August Underground"

2011 List

2009 List

2008 List
Old 10-23-2009, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Has anyone seen Pontypool? I'm starting Dead Snow right now and saw a trailer for it and thought it looked like it had potential so I added it to queue.

I'm watching it right now and it's pretty good so far... gotta go back to the movie.

2011 List

2009 List

2008 List
Old 10-23-2009, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Damn Airboss you hit some solid ones yesterday it looks like!

Dead Snow - I really enjoyed this... it was over the top gore with some good kills and good humor. There was nothing really special about it but for some reason it hit the spot last night, besides who doesn't love Nazi Zombies?

My Rig

Old 10-23-2009, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

I'm watching it right now and it's pretty good so far... gotta go back to the movie.

This is what makes buying blind fun, every now and then you run across a real gem! More later....

2011 List

2009 List

2008 List
Old 10-23-2009, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

CLOVERFIELD - dvd number 19 watched. Boy, i love this movie. Of all the movies that use the shaky-cam and that try to make you feel like you are in the movie, this one is the most effective to me. I really feel like i am part of the group of people in Manhattan during this film. Also, being from New York originally, and going back to Manhattan most years, i love how this took place in Manhattan and what they did with the city. Its so nice to see a horror movie that doesnt have just one or two simplistic sets. Also, while i usually dont like when you cant get a good look at a monster, this movie does a very effective job of just showing you enough while still keeping you guessing at what actually is there for quite a while. I even liked the fact that its a short movie, for as i always say, i have ADULT ADD and get antsy watching longer movies, the length on this was just right. But boy, even as i type this, i feel like i am moving around in Manhattan. Excellant, just excellant.

Has anybody heard anything about a sequel to this movie? I would really like to see more of this.

Edit: searched the net, found this:

There was a hell of a viral craze around the movie Cloverfield last year. And at the end, the shaky-cam monster movie did perform incredibly well.

A sequel to Cloverfield has been in talk even before the first opus was out. But Producer J.J. Abrams and Director Matt Reeves haven't agreed yet on the direction it should take...

No doubt that Paramount would sign up for Cloverfield 2. But first we need Abrams and Reeves to sit together at a table and decide the plot of the sequel!

Well, Matt Reeves made some hints at what we may expect from Cloverfield 2:

"While we were on set making the film we talked about the possibilities and directions of how a sequel can go. The fun of this movie was that it might not have been the only movie being made that night, there might be another movie! In today's day and age of people filming their lives on their camera phones and Handycams, uploading it to YouTube... That was kind of exciting thinking about that."
Matt Reeves

"There's a moment on the Brooklyn Bridge, and there was a guy filming something on the side of the bridge, and Hud sees him filming and he turns over and he sees the ship that's been capsized and sees the headless Statue of Liberty, and then he turns back and this guy's briefly filming him. In my mind that was two movies intersecting for a brief moment, and I thought there was something interesting in the idea that this incident happened and there are so many different points of view, and there are several different movies at least happening that evening and we just saw one piece of another."
Matt Reeves

But J.J. Abrams isn't in a hurry to work on Cloverfield 2. He does not want to rush into the development of the sequel right away because of the first film's success, he says instead, he wants to create a sequel that is true to the previous film...

Here's what J.J. Abrams answered when someone asked him if there were any updates on a Cloverfield sequel during last year Comic Con:

There’s something we’re playing with now that may or may not happen. There’s an idea we have that plays with… it’s not a literal sequel.
J.J. Abrams

So he states that Cloverfield 2 wouldn't be a literal sequel. This would somewhat confirm Matt Reeves' hints that Cloverfield 2 is either gonna be a retelling of the central story or it will explore some backstory that would shed a new light on the events. Unfortunately we can't really know as long as Abrams and Reeves aren't decided themselves...

Besides there is the possibility of a more traditional sequel that would dwell on the aftermaths of the first movie. Two details would legitimate such a take on Cloverfield 2:

- at the end scene on Coney Island shows something falls into the ocean in the background (in the far right from the view out of the ferris wheel, a bit left of a boat sitting in the water seen falling just as the camera beeps).

- at the very end of the credits, someone can be heard whispering "Help us". And if you reverse it, you could hear: "It’s still alive."

Let's hope that J.J. Abrams and Matt Reeves won't wait too long to tackle Cloverfield 2, the sequel to Cloverfield.

Another Edit: On another site i read that the thing that went into the ocean in Coney Island was a satellite, and that the recovery of that satellite in the ocean was what brought up the monster.

This is really interesting stuff!

Old 10-23-2009, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

CLOVERFIELD -
Has anybody heard anything about a sequel to this movie? I would really like to see more of this.

Edit: searched the net, found this:

There was a hell of a viral craze around the movie Cloverfield last year. And at the end, the shaky-cam monster movie did perform incredibly well.

A sequel to Cloverfield has been in talk even before the first opus was out. But Producer J.J. Abrams and Director Matt Reeves haven't agreed yet on the direction it should take...

This is really interesting stuff!

And there's this short video and this interview.

2011 List

2009 List

2008 List
Old 10-23-2009, 02:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:

far less annoying than the over acted efforts of Jennifer Carpinter. just my humble opinion

Hey!
You leave Det. Morgan alone!
I didn't even recognize her...then again, I have tried to forget all about that movie.

Only recently have I discovered Dexter.
Awesome show...and the 1st three seasons are on BD.

Quote:

CLOVERFIELD - dvd number 19 watched. Boy, i love this movie. Of all the movies that use the shaky-cam and that try to make you feel like you are in the movie, this one is the most effective to me.

Agreed.
Blair Witch works too, but the cam can get to me.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
Old 10-23-2009, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Agreed.
Blair Witch works too, but the cam can get to me.

Its amazing how many people the cam gets to. I cant believe it doesnt get to me, since i get seasick, but i have no problems with the movies, i love them. I am just lucky I guess.

Airboss, thanks for those Cloverfield links bud!

Old 10-23-2009, 04:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Watched Suspiria last night and the plan for tonight is to finish the trilogy off, time permitting. Go to my page for my thoughts but I felt it was only an average offering. Some things worked extremely well, others fell flat. The dialog was absolutely killing us though.
Old 10-23-2009, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

My Suspiria and Inferno which were supposed to come on the 26th came today! I have never seen either one. So far, every movie i have watched at home i have seen before, so these will be my first new movies at home this month. The key words there are AT HOME, as i have seen 4 new ones in the theater and will check out Saw on sunday or monday to make 5 theater movies.

Anyway, even though i really want to see these two dvds, i have 4 movies on my original list, and i am going to watch them, then watch Suspiria and Inferno, so i will have a couple of new movies to look forward to.

I am sitting on 19 movies at home, 4 in the theater, so i have 23 so far, exactly an average of 1 per day, as i am typing this on the evening of the 23rd. Tomorrow my wife goes out of town, so i should be able to watch more than 1 movie a day on certain days next week, depends on what i am doing and the baseball playoffs.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

25. Hour of the Wolf (first-time viewing)
For Ingmar Bergman fans only. Bergman's only true horror film is maddening, nightmarish, frustrating and of course full of those brilliant Bergman moments that make the difficult viewing worthwhile. Things pick up in the final third when the movie takes a turn for the surreal. Also, it was interesting to see where the R.E.M. video "Losing My Religion" stole some of its imagery from. Don't watch this unless you have some experience with inpenetrable art films.

1. The Golem
2. Onibaba
3. Fire in the Sky
6. Ju-On
9. Deep Red
10. Deadgirl
11. Frightmare
12. Zombieland
13. Paranormal Activity
16. Trick 'r Treat
17. Mother of Tears
19. Dance of the Dead
20. Nightmare
23. Blacula
24. Them (aka Ils)
25. Hour of the Wolf

Old 10-24-2009, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Oct 23th-

91. "Pontypool" - "The story is about "Shock jock" Grant Mazzy who has, once again, been kicked-off the Big City airwaves and now works at the only job he could get hosting the early morning show at CLSY Radio in Pontypool Ontario, which broadcasts from the basement of the small town's only church. What begins as another boring day of school bus cancellations due to yet another massive snow storm, things quickly turn deadly when reports of people having bizarre seizures, developing strange speech patterns and evoking horrendous acts of violence start piling in."

I rely enjoyed this one!

More info here.

Highly Recommended

92. "Scrapbook" - AA young woman named Clara is captured by a serial killer named Leonard who records his "life story" by keeping a scrapbook of his many victims..."

Tagline: True horror is simply what one human being can do to another.

Graphic, gory and disturbing horror-porn.

93. "1408" - A man who specializes in debunking paranormal occurrences checks into the fabled room 1408 in the Dolphin Hotel. Soon after settling in, he confronts genuine terror."

Worthwhile ghost story.

94. "August Underground's Mordum" - "Two friends bring along a newcomer to go on a killing spree."

Fred Vogel's sequel to "August Underground", too long and too boring.

95. "Alien" - A mining ship, investigating a suspected SOS, lands on a distant planet. The crew discovers some strange creatures and investigates."

Classic, if you haven't seen this what are you waiting for? Another one of my all time favorites.

Highly Recommended

96. "Aliens" - 57 years after her ordeal with an extraterrestrial creature, Ellen Ripley is rescued by a deep salvage team during her hypersleep. When she discovers that transmissions from a colony that has since settled on the alien planet suddenly stop, Ripley is offered a chance to team up with a group of marines to descend on the planet and investigate the alien presence. Determined to end the memories of the alien creature, Ripley agrees to the offer and is once again thrown back into her living nightmare."

A worthy sequel and another classic. Also one of my all time favorites.

Highly Recommended

Best of the day - "Pontypool"

2011 List

2009 List

2008 List
Old 10-24-2009, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Airboss - Scrapbook is quite a movie, isnt it? Pretty pornographic for a horror movie, i think its virtually more porn than horror, or at least equal.

You hit a home run with Alien and Aliens, the two greatest melds ever of scifi and horror ever made, i have been thinking for days about trying to work at least one of those in. I remember the very first time i saw Alien, in the movie theater, with no knowledge of what was coming, wow, that was something. Aliens is one of those rare sequels that to me equals or surpases the original, although the original had more pure shock value.

Old 10-24-2009, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 974
So Far...
Children of the Corn 2009
Prince of Darkness
Halloween 2007
Carver
Shutter
The Amityville Horror 2005
Conjurer
Feast
Zombieland
Gremlins
The Lady in the Water
Mother of Tears
Ghoulies
The Gathering
Near Dark
Grace
Carrie
The Mist
The Guardian
The Thing
Halloween 2
In the Company of Wolves
The Brain Eaters
Ferryman
Old 10-24-2009, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Airboss - Scrapbook is quite a movie, isnt it? Pretty pornographic for a horror movie, i think its virtually more porn than horror, or at least equal. ....

Yea it is. yankeeman, have you seen "August Underground"? Much better; it's everything "Scrapbook" was trying to be and much more without the porn and it's very realistic. The tagline for "Scrapbook" diffidently works for "August Underground". Both are pretty sick.

2011 List

2009 List

2008 List