October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....) - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 188Likes

post #451 of 10730 Old 10-24-2009, 03:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 67
The plan was to finish the Argento trilogy last night. I ended up watching Inferno but then decided to go with The Hills Have Eyes instead of Mother of Tears. I was surprised that I actually liked Inferno more than Suspiria. Although not perfect, the dialog didn't make me want to commit suicide this time. Pretty good movie overall. Anyway, page is updated and MOT is up for tonight along with...........who knows, I like winging it.

Anyone else have a tough time typing Suspiria? I have to backspace every friggin time I type it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 10730 Old 10-24-2009, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 129
I havent seen August Underground, although i have looked at the description and reviews of it on Amazon. I have been tempted to get it.

Just finished my 20th dvd watch, MARTYRS. Quite a powerful, brutal film for sure! Really brutal.

So i continue to just hang on to my one a day average, with now having watched 20 at home and 4 in the theaters, 24 exactly on the 24th day. I am hanging in there. I told my brother-in-law i was doing this, he thinks i am sick. I think he is sick, he has the worst taste in movies for a man, he likes all the fluff female chick-flicks. He and my wife have the same taste in movies, you could throw up from it.

And I too have trouble typing Suspiria dammmit!!!!!!

This month continues to be fun.

never take life seriously
post #453 of 10730 Old 10-24-2009, 10:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post

I havent seen August Underground, although i have looked at the description and reviews of it on Amazon. I have been tempted to get it.

Just finished my 20th dvd watch, MARTYRS. Quite a powerful, brutal film for sure! Really brutal.

So i continue to just hang on to my one a day average, with now having watched 20 at home and 4 in the theaters, 24 exactly on the 24th day. I am hanging in there. I told my brother-in-law i was doing this, he thinks i am sick. I think he is sick, he has the worst taste in movies for a man, he likes all the fluff female chick-flicks. He and my wife have the same taste in movies, you could throw up from it.

And I too have trouble typing Suspiria dammmit!!!!!!

This month continues to be fun.

sounds like a perfect insert for the "you know how I know you're gay" conversation from 40 Year Old Virgin... not that there's anything wrong with that

Ok, so I just finished watching Pontypool, what a fantastic movie! Just when you think you've seen every possible angle on the increasingly worn out zombie genre! Among the movies I've see for the first time this month I would probably rank this damn near at the top so far! I agree with Airboss 100%, maybe not for everyone, dialogue heavy and probably not going to be a pleaser for those that need to see more. Maybe a tad anti-climatic but such an excellent piece of work it doesn't distract from what has been built. Also be sure to watch/listen through the all the credits.

... credits credit credits credits

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

post #454 of 10730 Old 10-24-2009, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 121
It's 2AM and I just finished Rosemary's Baby for the first time. HOLY S****! Great horror film...hell great film. Wow. I can't get it out of my head.

Yankeeman maybe you can do a Rom-com marathon with your brother in law? Ha! Now that would be true horror.

Apollo I think Suspiria takes a few viewings to grow on you. I remember the first time seeing it I was kinda underwhelmed. It has since grown to be one of my favorites.

Pontypool....I will try to track that down asap. Sounds promising.

The above post is 100% medically accurate

31 Days of Horror:

post #455 of 10730 Old 10-24-2009, 11:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Oct 24th

97. "Red Velvet" - "A man and a young woman have a chance encounter at a laundry mat which leads to a story about a birthday party where everyone has been killed by a madman in a white jumpsuit."

So-so comedic/horror flix which is only available atAmazon.com Exclusive Buy or rent via Amazon Video On Demand. (Note: This product is manufactured on demand using DVD-R recordable media. Amazon.com's standard return policy will apply.)

98. "Summer Scars" - A group of teens are faced with a life-changing experience when they meet a deranged drifter."

It's been described as "Stand By Me" meets "Deliverance". Not a bad drama/horror/thriller but not great. I liked the ending; be sure to watch the credits roll (seems like a lot of movies are doing that lately).

99. "Coming Soon" - What kind of scenes in a horror film scares you the most? When a ghost appears totally unexpectedly..."

I didn't find this scary at all, but some do.

100. "Saw IV" - "Jigsaw and his apprentice Amanda are dead. Now, upon the news of Detective Kerry's murder, two seasoned FBI profilers..."

If you like the "Saw" series you will like this.

Sent to theaters under the name "Angel Fish".

Best of the Day - "Saw IV"

"Marines have no qualms about killing Martians"

2011 List

2009 List

2008 List
post #456 of 10730 Old 10-25-2009, 04:27 AM
AVS Special Member

My brother-in-law is a total nut job, total. Geez.

Now with my wife out of town, he wants to go to a movie together in the next few weeks, he will lower himself and let me pick an action movie, but he wont go to a horror one. Maybe i will take him to 2012, or maybe The Men Who Stared At Goats.

Boy, there is one guy i wish i could sick Michaels Myers on!!!!!

Airboss, did you really like Saw IV a lot? I thought that 5, along with 2, are the weak ones in this series. I think that for me, numbers 1, 3, and 4 are excellant, i love them, but 2 and 5 dont do it for me. Cant wait for 6, will go see it Monday! I cant believe you have reach 100 movies, you deserve some kind of prize! We will have a zombie deliver it to you.

Remember you guys, NEVER MOON A WEREWOLF!!!!!!!

post #457 of 10730 Old 10-25-2009, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

So Far...
Children of the Corn 2009
Prince of Darkness
Halloween 2007
Carver
Shutter
The Amityville Horror 2005
Conjurer
Feast
Zombieland
Gremlins
The Lady in the Water
Mother of Tears
Ghoulies
The Gathering
Near Dark
Grace
Carrie
The Mist
The Guardian
The Thing
Halloween 2
In the Company of Wolves
The Brain Eaters
Ferryman

Poltergeist
Desert of Blood
The Beast Must Die
Seventh Moon
Deadgirl
Drag Me to Hell
post #458 of 10730 Old 10-25-2009, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Airboss, did you really like Saw IV a lot?

I didn't like it a lot, it was just Ok for me. The only reason I picked "Saw IV" as 'Best of the Day' was because all the other movies I watched yesterday were really lame. I would agree with you, it is probably one of the better ones of the Saw series.

2011 List

2009 List

2008 List
post #459 of 10730 Old 10-25-2009, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 717
post #460 of 10730 Old 10-25-2009, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboss View Post

I didn't like it a lot, it was just Ok for me. The only reason I picked "Saw IV" as 'Best of the Day' was because all the other movies I watched yesterday were really lame. I would agree with you, it is probably one of the better ones of the Saw series.

You said above IT IS PROBABLY ONE OF THE BETTER ONES, did you mean its NOT one of the better ones?

post #461 of 10730 Old 10-25-2009, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You said above IT IS PROBABLY ONE OF THE BETTER ONES, did you mean its NOT one of the better ones?

I meant it is one of the better ones.

2011 List

2009 List

2008 List
post #462 of 10730 Old 10-25-2009, 09:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Airboss, did you really like Saw IV a lot? I thought that 5, along with 2, are the weak ones in this series. I think that for me, numbers 1, 3, and 4 are excellant, i love them, but 2 and 5 dont do it for me. Cant wait for 6, will go see it Monday! I cant believe you have reach 100 movies, you deserve some kind of prize! We will have a zombie deliver it to you.

When I think back about the Saw movies, they all sorta run together for me. I absolutely loved Saw I when I first saw it. It's still pretty good to this day. Since then however, the series has gotten pretty old IMO. I know there were a couple (between 2-5) that I liked more than the others but like I stated earlier they are all running together for me. Maybe I should revisit a few to round out the challenge. Only 1 week left and I could use a few choices that are already part of my collection.

On a side note, I watched Mother of Tears and The Ring last night. A fantastic Saturday night double-feature! I really put some work in this weekend and I'm still behind. Airboss, I flat out don't understand how you do it man. I'm interested to know how the hell all these movies are even available to you, let alone how you find time to watch them. If I get to 31, it's gonna be a f'ing miracle.
post #463 of 10730 Old 10-25-2009, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Airboss, how do you find the time?

Since this is off topic, I've put it in spoiler tags so as not to take up too much space or bore those not interested....

darthsrg,
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
I'm retired, single and movies are my hobby. Usually I get up early and go to bed late. During 'Horrorfest' I will watch one or two movies before 10:00 AM; the weather and if I need to get something done will determine how many movies I watch the rest of the day. If it's raining or nasty out I'll watch movies all day with a short break in between. If it's not raining or I have something I need to take care of the number of movies I watch will be based on that. My normal viewing habits are 30 to 60 movies a month but during Oct I try to watch 113 (maybe more this year).

I really enjoy 'Horrorfest' and have a great time finding new movies, watching old favorites and dealing with the occasional dogs. I like reading everyone's thoughts on the movies they've seen and passing along mine.

BTW, some of the people at DVDTalk will watch over 300 movies in Oct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloCreed View Post

Airboss, I flat out don't understand how you do it man. I'm interested to know how the hell all these movies are even available to you, let alone how you find time to watch them. If I get to 31, it's gonna be a f'ing miracle.

AppolloCreed,
Spoiler  
as I stated above, movies are my hobby. My only expenses are normal living expenses. I'm debt free (house and car are paid for, no credit cards, only a debit card), which allows me to indulge my hobby (the amount of money I spend buying SD/BD DVDs each month would make a nice car payment ). If I'm not watching a movie I'm scouring the 'net' looking for interesting movies, especially foreign movies, to buy. When I find one that looks intriguing I buy or pre-order it. I buy a lot of movies blind and I buy from retailers all over the world (I'm sure Amazon loves me ). In addition to my collection of DVDs I've watched, my unwatched DVD pile is over 1000 deep so I have a great selection on hand to choose from (some of the movies I've watched during this 'Horrorfest' I bought during the past year but had not watched yet).

Throw in Netflix on Demand, Amazon Video on Demand, Vudu, satellite movie channels, etc and my selection of movies to view is almost unlimited.

2011 List

2009 List

2008 List
post #464 of 10730 Old 10-25-2009, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 167
26. Silk (first-time viewing)
Very cool movie! It had ghosts, mystery, science fiction, and thrills. I liked the characters too, they were interesting and varied. This reminded me of some of the movies of the 80's that combined pseudo-science and metaphysics, such as "Brainstorm", "Altered States", "Dreamscape", but it was definitely up-to-date in its execution.

2009 Horror Movie Marathon List:
1. The Golem
2. Onibaba
3. Fire in the Sky
4. Abbot & Costello Meet Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde
5. Jack Brooks: Monster Slayer
6. Ju-On
7. The Fearless Vampire Killers
8. The Girl Next Door (2007)
9. Deep Red
10. Deadgirl
11. Frightmare
12. Zombieland
13. Paranormal Activity
14. The Nightmare Before Christmas
15. Deathdream (aka Dead of Night)
16. Trick 'r Treat
17. Mother of Tears
18. A Tale of Two Sisters
19. Dance of the Dead
20. Nightmare
21. Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde (1931)
22. Valerie and Her Week of Wonders
23. Blacula
24. Them (aka Ils)
25. Hour of the Wolf
26. Silk

"I'LL SHOW YOU THE LIFE OF THE MIND!!!" - Barton Fink
post #465 of 10730 Old 10-25-2009, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Just before October, i had watched all the Saw movies. Before i did that, they all ran together in my mind too, but after i did, i found out that i really thought 1,3, & 4 were great, and 2 & 5 were weak. But since i just watched them last month, thats why none were on my list to watch for our forum here in October.

Anyway, just watched dvd #21 (25 overall with the theater movies, still on the one a day pace). I watched PLANET TERROR. This was a perfect watch for me. I had over-loaded my list this year with so much heavy brutal captured tortured type movies, that i needed something lighter. PLANET TERROR is a magnificent campy tongue-in-cheek movie that had me smiling right from the start, which happens to be a brilliant phony trailor for a phony movie called MACHETE. Planet Terror has great over the top gore and wild way out scenes, you just sit and watch and enjoy and smile. I pity anyone who tries to take this movie seriously, but if you take it for what its supposed to be, its one of the most enjoyable movies you can watch. Great special effects on the make-up, on people getting shot and blown up, on the girl with the "leg", this was super. A "no-brainer" for sure.

post #466 of 10730 Old 10-25-2009, 12:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 815
Quote:

When I think back about the Saw movies, they all sorta run together for me. I absolutely loved Saw I when I first saw it.

The best thing about Saw 1 is the GREAT twist-ending.
Never saw it coming....one of the most stunning ends to a movie I have ever seen.

BTW, picked the BD up at Amazon for $9.99 yesterday.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #467 of 10730 Old 10-25-2009, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Airboss, i noticed your list last year was 113 movies, and now again you posted that you try to watch 113 movies.

How did you come up with the number 113?

I ask because the number 113 has been my lucky number since i was a young kid, and it has followed me and popped up so many times in my life its incredible, and now here you are talking about watching 113 movies. Incredible.

post #468 of 10730 Old 10-25-2009, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Airboss, i noticed your list last year was 113 movies, and now again you posted that you try to watch 113 movies.

How did you come up with the number 113?

I ask because the number 113 has been my lucky number since i was a young kid, and it has followed me and popped up so many times in my life its incredible, and now here you are talking about watching 113 movies. Incredible.

yankeeman, that is amazing. The number was just arbitrary, last year I started out to watch 31 movies and easily reached that mark. During the last 'Horrorfest' I hit the 100 mark on the 26th and needed a stopping point. Since 13 is suppose to be an unlucky number and is usually related to spooky things ("Eye of the Devil" aka 13, "13 Ghosts", "Thir13en Ghosts", "City in Panic" aka 13, "13 game sayawng aka 13: Game of Death", etc) I decided I would watch 13 more movies for a total of 113.

Since I've hit the 100 mark 2 days earlier this year I may do more than 113, not sure, one hundered and thirteen seems like a good stopping point. Also, there are several non-horror movies I've bought this month that I would like to begin watching.

2011 List

2009 List

2008 List
post #469 of 10730 Old 10-25-2009, 11:28 PM
AVS Special Member

The original post (linked in my signature) has been updated and tonight I finished Creepshow (#27). On track to exceed my goal of 31 but nowhere near Airboss. Creepshow is always a treat and now that it's on Blu it is like seeing again for the first time... thumbs up!

My Rig

post #470 of 10730 Old 10-26-2009, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

27. Phantom of the Opera (1962) (first-time viewing)
This version of Phantom isn't all bad: I liked the down-and-dirty version of London that is presented here, with roving bands of hags, a rat-catcher (of course the rats get loose) and lots of brackish dirty water. But there is much that is unsatisfying about this version: the Phantom doesn't do much himself, he has an "Igor"/"Quasimodo" assistant do most of his bidding, and the bad guy director doesn't get much of a come-uppance at the end. Watch the original silent instead.

2009 Horror Movie Marathon List:
1. The Golem
2. Onibaba
3. Fire in the Sky
4. Abbot & Costello Meet Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde
5. Jack Brooks: Monster Slayer
6. Ju-On
7. The Fearless Vampire Killers
8. The Girl Next Door (2007)
9. Deep Red
10. Deadgirl
11. Frightmare
12. Zombieland
13. Paranormal Activity
14. The Nightmare Before Christmas
15. Deathdream (aka Dead of Night)
16. Trick 'r Treat
17. Mother of Tears
18. A Tale of Two Sisters
19. Dance of the Dead
20. Nightmare
21. Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde (1931)
22. Valerie and Her Week of Wonders
23. Blacula
24. Them (aka Ils)
25. Hour of the Wolf
26. Silk
27. Phantom of the Opera (1962)

post #471 of 10730 Old 10-26-2009, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Oct 25th

101. "Raising Cain - "Jenny Nix, wife of eminent child psychologist Carter Nix, becomes increasingly concerned about her husband's seemingly obsessive concern over the upbringing of their daughter."

De Palma fans will enjoy "Raising Cain" more so than non-fans.

102. "Wolf" - Publisher Will Randall becomes a werewolf and has to fight to keep his job."

Jack Nicholson and James Spader go fang to fang.

103. "August Underground's Penance" - Final chapter of the August Underground trilogy.

Not as believable as "August Underground" but better than "August Underground's Mordum".

Best of the Day - "Wolf"

2011 List

2009 List

2008 List
post #472 of 10730 Old 10-26-2009, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

The original post (linked in my signature) has been updated and tonight I finished Creepshow (#27). On track to exceed my goal of 31 but nowhere near Airboss. Creepshow is always a treat and now that it's on Blu it is like seeing again for the first time... thumbs up!

Awesome animated .gif, Kenobi! This was coincidentally the very first scene I saw from Creepshow, purely by accident as a teenager. I was walking down the hallway in high school in 1984 and I heard loud scary sounds coming from behind a door, I peeked into the AV Room and saw the AV guys watching that very scene on a VCR. I always liked horror, but that experience was the genesis of my interest in home theater!

post #473 of 10730 Old 10-26-2009, 08:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboss View Post

Best of the Day - "Wolf"

Yeah, I think Wolf was on tv this weekend and I missed it. Very good movie if I remember correctly.
post #474 of 10730 Old 10-26-2009, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, I think Wolf was on tv this weekend and I missed it. Very good movie if I remember correctly.

Yep, it was on yesterday. Airs again on the 27th at 10:00 AM CDST on AMC.

2011 List

2009 List

2008 List
post #475 of 10730 Old 10-26-2009, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob McLaughlin View Post

Awesome animated .gif, Kenobi! This was coincidentally the very first scene I saw from Creepshow, purely by accident as a teenager. I was walking down the hallway in high school in 1984 and I heard loud scary sounds coming from behind a door, I peeked into the AV Room and saw the AV guys watching that very scene on a VCR. I always liked horror, but that experience was the genesis of my interest in home theater!

That scene messed me up for a long time, I saw the movie in theaters when I was 7 (don't ask) and of course had nightmares about my neck being eaten for weeks!

My Rig

post #476 of 10730 Old 10-26-2009, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I know some of you guys saw Paranormal Activity and were mixed on it.

Did anybody think it was repetitive?

Spoiler  
Talk about the spirits and what happened
Go to bed
Go to bed
Go to bed

I was laughing when the psychic came back and left because he couldn't stay. That part was so corny and you could see it coming from a mile away. And the ending. Instead of keeping with the same theme they went the hollywood route "all up in your face".

I think in the official thread Bob had an idea for an alternate ending that would have made this a much better movie for me . Oh well!

And one more thing:
Spoiler  
Who in the hell would stay in that place on the last night? Not me, that's who.

31 Days of Horror:

post #477 of 10730 Old 10-26-2009, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzack View Post

I know some of you guys saw Paranormal Activity and were mixed on it.

Did anybody think it was repetitive?

Spoiler  
Go to bed
Go to bed
Go to bed

I was laughing when the psychic came back and left because he couldn't stay. That part was so corny and you could see it coming from a mile away. And the ending. Instead of keeping with the same theme they went the hollywood route "all up in your face".

I think in the official thread Bob had an idea for an alternate ending that would have made this a much better movie for me . Oh well!

And one more thing:
Spoiler  
Who in the hell would stay in that place on the last night? Not me, that's who.

It was enjoyable it just wasn't all the hype and I would have liked the variation on the ending that I posted in the Paranormal Activity thread. The movie was essentially a hybrid of Blair Witch and The Exorcist but not as original or refreshing as either and not scary enough to deserve the mass over-hype.

My Rig

post #478 of 10730 Old 10-26-2009, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

It was enjoyable it just wasn't all the hype and I would have liked the variation on the ending that I posted in the Paranormal Activity thread. The movie was essentially a hybrid of Blair Witch and The Exorcist but not as original or refreshing as either and not scary enough to deserve the mass over-hype.

Ah sorry yes I liked your idea for the ending a lot more. Would have made it much more chilling. I agree with you 100%. There's no possible way it could live up to the massive hype storm it received. It was a good try though.

31 Days of Horror:

post #479 of 10730 Old 10-26-2009, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Netflix To Present Free Webisodes of 'Splatter' Starting on October 29th
Netflix will be streaming a free webisodes of Roger Corman's Splatter on October 29th, November 6th, and the finale will be available on Friday, November 13th. Anyone can watch online at www.netflix.com/splatter (no subscription required), and subscribers will be able to watch it on a PC or Netflix-ready device. Starring Corey Feldman, Splatter will allow viewers to vote on the ending. Here's a brief synopsis of the show:

Directed by Joe Dante, Splatter is about a musical genius who accumulated as many hit records as he did enemies while climbing up the fame ladder. Johnny Splatter's sudden death, ruled a suicide, brings a small circle of professional parasites and hangers-on to his Hollywood Hills mansion for the reading of his last will and testament. But as his frenmies come to pick the bones clean, Johnny has returned for a deadly encore long after what they thought was his final curtain.

31 Days of Horror:

post #480 of 10730 Old 10-26-2009, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Just got back from the movie theater, took in a matinee of SAW-6. Very happy with this one, the best horror movie i have seen in the theater this month. A lot of very intense scenes, and good use of flashbacks for those of us without photographic memories. I think this is much better than the last Saw movie, and takes a spot with 1,3, & 4 as the better of this series.

So today, on the 26th of the month, here is what i have watched this month so far (with ratings on a 1-10 scale for MY personal taste):

MOVIES WATCHED ON DVD AT HOME:
1- Hostel II - *9*
2- House of 1000 Corpses (remake) - *9*
3- Devils Rejects - *9*
4- The Hills Have Eyes - *9*
5- Captivity - *8*
6- Texas Chainsaw Massacre (remake)- *7*
7- Imprint - *8*
8- Chaos - *6*
9- Silence of the Lambs - *10*
10- The Shining - *10*
11- Mother of Tears - *8*