October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....) - Page 172 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 316Likes

post #5131 of 11014 Old 06-18-2013, 01:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 816
For haters of blood-suckers and brain-eaters, it's good to know the Feds are in the game:
http://fvza.org/

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5132 of 11014 Old 06-18-2013, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

For haters of blood-suckers and brain-eaters, it's good to know the Feds are in the game:
http://fvza.org/

I like the movie reviews done with a similar matter of fact tone as the Zombie Survival Guide.

Zombieland (2009) D: Ruben Fleischer
Like 2004's Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland takes a fairly lighthearted approach to the genre. The story involves a hardy band of outbreak survivors led by a skilled zombie killer who just wants to find some Hostess Twinkies. Of course, the moveimakers take some liberties with the truth. The zombies are uniformly fast-moving and show little of the decay that real zombies experience. The outbreak apparently is triggered by the consumption of infected beef, much like Mad Cow disease. At the beginning of the movie, the narrator lists a series of survival tips and repeats them throughout. My personal favorite is the "Double Tap" rule, which is the practice of delivering an extra shot to the head of a zombie to make sure it's dead. That, my friends, is sound advice. Just take pains to make sure you don't get any viscera or fluids in your nose and mouth from the zombie's exploding head.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5133 of 11014 Old 06-18-2013, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Speaking of Zombies anybody venturing out to seeing World War Z this weekend? I am kinda iffy just because of the pg13 rating but RT is giving it 72%.

October HorrorFest Participant
post #5134 of 11014 Old 06-18-2013, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post

Speaking of Zombies anybody venturing out to seeing World War Z this weekend? I am kinda iffy just because of the pg13 rating but RT is giving it 72%.
rental
I don't know the book but it is highly regarded from what I hear and the movie is not only a PG13 zombie flick (which is lame by itself) but is also a significant departure from the book (in a bad way) from what I hear. If we get a good review from one of the regulars in this thread I may give it a go.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

post #5135 of 11014 Old 06-18-2013, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Same here, and I was pretty bummed that the movie is far from the books direction.

Good news is I am going to see Monsters University with the family, at the local drive in this Friday! Should be fun and I hope the kids like it.

post #5136 of 11014 Old 06-18-2013, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 748
Walking Dead has ruined zombies.

Steam: Guts
post #5137 of 11014 Old 06-18-2013, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Believe it or not I never watched a single episode yet.....Should I ?
post #5138 of 11014 Old 06-18-2013, 11:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Speaking of Zombies anybody venturing out to seeing World War Z this weekend?
Will wait for a week or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

I don't know the book but it is highly regarded from what I hear.
Trust me here....read the damn book.cool.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

ONLY if you want to hate anyone who thinks a TV zombie series is a good idea.wink.gif

post #5139 of 11014 Old 06-19-2013, 04:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Season one good.
Season two not good.
Season three ok.

If you're a gore hound there's some awesome effects shots but there are way better written shows out there. When I say ruined zombies I mean in the sense that some of the fans have never seen Night of the Living Dead and are experts now.
BornSlippyZ likes this.

post #5140 of 11014 Old 06-19-2013, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

rental
I don't know the book but it is highly regarded from what I hear and the movie is not only a PG13 zombie flick (which is lame by itself) but is also a significant departure from the book (in a bad way) from what I hear. If we get a good review from one of the regulars in this thread I may give it a go.

The book as it stands even read like a badass movie. Loads of vignettes of varying power. As soon as I saw the trailer my heart sank and I thought I read a different book. It could still be a good movie I guess.

post #5141 of 11014 Old 06-19-2013, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The book as it stands even read like a badass movie. Loads of vignettes of varying power. As soon as I saw the trailer my heart sank and I thought I read a different book. It could still be a good movie I guess.

The book was great but I learned last year that the writers took somethings from the book but more over the movie is on a different path. But I guess Max Brooks has been helping them so it could be decent..but Zombies movies should equal R rating. Although there are rare cases where some good Horror came from PG13 movies.

post #5142 of 11014 Old 06-19-2013, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:

Bit harsh dont you think? I have seem some very good makeup on those zombies.

post #5143 of 11014 Old 06-19-2013, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytchone View Post

Bit harsh dont you think? I have seem some very good makeup on those zombies.

Yeah totally give props to that in a different response. One of my faves was one "walker" pushing through a windshield and it peeled his face off. They didn't linger on the shot but I backed it up a couple times to take that in.

I mean ruined like how my neighbor watches the show but will never watch ROTLD of NOTLD because those are horror movies. Yet he is an expert on "walkers." I hope that makes sense.
Morpheo likes this.

post #5144 of 11014 Old 06-19-2013, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah totally give props to that in a different response. One of my faves was one "walker" pushing through a windshield and it peeled his face off. They didn't linger on the shot but I backed it up a couple times to take that in.

I mean ruined like how my neighbor watches the show but will never watch ROTLD of NOTLD because those are horror movies. Yet he is an expert on "walkers." I hope that makes sense.

Yes it does! Still its great to see more zombies about. Now for Werewolves. I still push Teen Wolf on MTV, its not bad but they do need help on the makeup dept imo

post #5145 of 11014 Old 06-19-2013, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytchone View Post

Yes it does! Still its great to see more zombies about. Now for Werewolves. I still push Teen Wolf on MTV, its not bad but they do need help on the makeup dept imo

For the werewolves I have to push Hemlock Grove. It's not a gore fest by any stretch but what is there is effectively placed.

Do they surf on vans in this MTV show?

post #5146 of 11014 Old 06-19-2013, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:

The book was great but I learned last year that the writers took somethings from the book but more over the movie is on a different path. But I guess Max Brooks has been helping them so it could be decent..but Zombies movies should equal R rating. Although there are rare cases where some good Horror came from PG13 movies.

Looking forward to watching the movie. But knowing the book, I was wondering if the movie left it open to a sequel or did they tie up everything?

"I am NOT suffering from insanity... I happen to be enjoying myself!"

post #5147 of 11014 Old 06-19-2013, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 233
The way I remember the World War Z book is the excellent sense of dread, suspence and creepy horror. Very well written. The movie looks more like a straight action flic where the Zombies could have been anything. I will try to see it but is hard for me to get to a theater if it is not kid related.

The Walking Dead is another piece that has EXCELLENT source material but they water it down with so much crappy dialogue to stretch 3 seasons to cover 300 pages of comics - and is watered down content compared to the human horror of the comic. Excellent FX though and occasionally has some good episodes and is one of my few, non sports, TV shows I make time for.

post #5148 of 11014 Old 06-19-2013, 09:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Books are books and movies are movies....
I'll wait to see it before deeming it a good movie or not.wink.gif

Quote:

Good "horror" does not mandate an "R" rating IMO.

I have seen many good PG-13 horror movies.
Suspense/tension is much more important than a pile of cow guts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudge981 View Post

I was wondering if the movie left it open to a sequel or did they tie up everything?
I have read there is a plan to turn it in to a "franchise."

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

I will try to see it but is hard for me to get to a theater if it is not kid related.
Your Man License has been suspended for 7 days.tongue.gif

post #5149 of 11014 Old 06-19-2013, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

I've read some Pitt interview where he was pushed into a "franchise" before he got too old. In the interview he made a point to say he avoided franchises for his career. I respect that. Clearly a jab at Tom Cruise too.

post #5150 of 11014 Old 06-19-2013, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Good "horror" does not mandate an "R" rating IMO.

I have seen many good PG-13 horror movies.
Suspense/tension is much more important than a pile of cow guts.

True to a point, I guess when studios decide a pg13 will garner more $$$ per viewing over an R horror film, that is what I am meaning. Kinda like the Terminator series, started with R rated but then the last film had to be PG13 to a broad audience aka cash grab.

post #5151 of 11014 Old 06-19-2013, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Quote:

To be honest I've never been a big fan of zombies, I'm more a ghosts/vampires/unsetlling atmospheres/etc aficionado...I usually prefer tension over gore, but I admit a good amount of blood can't hurt sometimes wink.gif I'll give it a try and rent the first season... Oh and by vampires I don't mean the sparkling type of course! tongue.gif

I really loved the new Evil Dead, but it's most likely because it involves a ghost in the first place smile.gif Yett this is the kind of film that can't exist if it's not R...which is why I'm sektpical about the upcoming PG-13 Carrie...But with a first-rate cast I'll see it for sure, and hopefully it will be good.
post #5152 of 11014 Old 06-19-2013, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

For the werewolves I have to push Hemlock Grove. It's not a gore fest by any stretch but what is there is effectively placed.

Do they surf on vans in this MTV show?
No its more on the horror side but there is some comedy. One of the ac tors just left the show for Arrow. One or two are from BSG. As i said its really not that bad and it has wolves on it.
I watched all Hemlock in one weekend. Liked that also.

post #5153 of 11014 Old 06-19-2013, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Z has two problems going for it pre-release. 1. It will be measured against it's book version by many. 2. It's a zombie movie in a sea of mostly bad zombie movies and PG13 at that.

There are plenty of good PG13 horror but I can't think of any good PG13 zombie movies and even Walking Dead which has some of the best makeup and gore will likely trump WWZ in the dept of how much they are allowed to show.

I'll probably also take the kids to see Monsters this weekend. Man of Steel was a bit of a let down so I think I'll take a break on the summer blockbuster dice roll.

post #5154 of 11014 Old 06-19-2013, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

To be honest I've never been a big fan of zombies, I'm more a ghosts/vampires/unsetlling atmospheres/etc aficionado...I usually prefer tension over gore, but I admit a good amount of blood can't hurt sometimes wink.gif I'll give it a try and rent the first season... Oh and by vampires I don't mean the sparkling type of course! tongue.gif

I really loved the new Evil Dead, but it's most likely because it involves a ghost in the first place smile.gif Yett this is the kind of film that can't exist if it's not R...which is why I'm sektpical about the upcoming PG-13 Carrie...But with a first-rate cast I'll see it for sure, and hopefully it will be good.

Yeah, I'm not a gore hound in the torture porn sense but I will watch. I really dig the conventional effects of the older flicks but land myself in the romantic/gothic genre most days of the week. A recent one is Sinister but I really loved American Mary also.

post #5155 of 11014 Old 06-19-2013, 11:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Kinda like the Terminator series, started with R rated but then the last film had to be PG13 to a broad audience aka cash grab.
Yeah, it sure was.
I hated the GD thing....

post #5156 of 11014 Old 06-19-2013, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:

Give it a go! You could do worse. Agree w/ darth that season one was good, very consistent. Season 2 & 3 are half filler but the good episodes do have a strong impact. Getting to them could be a little bit of a drag though. Hopefully S4 will be back with decent writing and a mix of good drama/action every week.

The above post is 100% medically accurate

31 Days of Horror:

post #5157 of 11014 Old 06-19-2013, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzack View Post

Give it a go! You could do worse. Agree w/ darth that season one was good, very consistent. Season 2 & 3 are half filler but the good episodes do have a strong impact. Getting to them could be a little bit of a drag though. Hopefully S4 will be back with decent writing and a mix of good drama/action every week.
It feels like the zombie thing has almost become a backdrop for more of a soap opera/d!ck measuring contest. I hope they get away from that but really the only things I care about in TV now are the final season of Dexter, Top Shot, and the re-emergence of Jack Bauer!

I didn't get to Nailbiter this week but will try to get it in soon. Has anyone heard if there will be a DC of Evil Dead released in any other country? I'd happily import it if so.

post #5158 of 11014 Old 06-19-2013, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 118
There's been such a brouhaha over "World War Z" that I'll wait for reviews which would need to be exceptional before I'll even spend $7.25 at the theater up the street. I might be more interested in "White House Down" just because Roland Emmerich will make it fun entertainment though again only if reviews are favorable. Last week Spielberg and Lucas held a press conference and said they fear that Hollywood is about to implode. Hollywood has made it's own bed as far as I'm concerned and gets what it deserves.

That said, I watched The Frankenstein Theory last night. I enjoyed it but know that some not into the "Blair Witch" genre won't probably like it. Good movie to watch on a hot summer night. I pretty much figured out how it would end though and got a chuckle.
post #5159 of 11014 Old 06-19-2013, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, it sure was.
I hated the GD thing....

Lmao, I have new appreciation for the BD disc though because the sound is rather good. It is sad Cameron and company are not involved with the T series anymore.

Although I rank Alien3 for the absolute smack in the face to all fans of the previous films...but that is for another thread.

Back on topic, anybody see this movie? How was it?

post #5160 of 11014 Old 06-19-2013, 01:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

It is sad Cameron and company are not involved with the T series anymore.
Agreed.

Quote:
Although I rank Alien3 for the absolute smack in the face to all fans of the previous films...but that is for another thread.
+1000000
The only one in the series that makes me blanch.

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page