October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....) - Page 228 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1649Likes

Old 10-01-2013, 05:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Horrorfest 2013

1. Leatherface- The Texas Chainsaw Massacre III (1990)- {2.5/5} IFC (First-time viewing) Decided to kick off the challenge early with this IFC offering that I originally thought was the ridiculous (but entertaining) TCM installment featuring Dennis Hopper. Turns out that was Pt. 2 and this one is the "real" sequel as it seems to fit in with the original much better. The cast includes a young Viggo Mortensen and the Rob Zombie favorite Ken Foree. Overall, it was semi-enjoyable with a few good scares and some creepy moments. The story was mighty thin though and Leatherface's pimped out chainsaw was horribly cheesy. Whatever though......just happy that Horrorfest has begun!!

2. Otis (2008)- {4/5} Blu-ray Talk about a fun movie folks! It easily fits in the top tier of the horror/comedy genre along with Shaun of the Dead, Cabin in the Woods, Zombieland, etc. Normally these kinds of movies aren't really my bag (explaining the conservative 4 star rating), but this one is well done on nearly every level. Every character is unique and extremely well done and the story itself is simply awesome. We especially loved Kevin Pollack as the abusive older brother and Jere Burns as the cocky, bumbling FBI agent. This is my second time with this flick and it was even better this time around. For those who haven't seen it, do yourself a favor and add this to your list.

3. The Lords of Salem (2012)- {4.25/5} Blu-ray (First-time viewing) Like others have stated, this movie is oozing with style and originality. It's obvious that RZ has continued to master his craft since the raw, but amazingly well done HOTC. We loved nearly everything about this movie. The 70's look, the mood, the atmosphere, the pacing, the story, the score......top notch. Although her range is still pretty limited, we thought that Sheri Moon did a good job; while the rest of the cast was nearly perfect. The only issue that we had was the ending. It was a little bit of a letdown as we thought maybe a little more detail would have been better. Either way, this was a great watch and it'll fit in perfectly with the rest of my RZ movie collection. In fact, we've already talked about watching it again after the challenge is over. cool.gif

4. I Saw the Devil (2010)- {4.5/5} Blu-ray This is a repeat from last year so that my wife could have a crack at it this time. Rating and comments stand from last year. It begins with a bang and simply does not let up until the credits are rolling. Outstanding PQ, awesome brutality and spot-on performances by the cast. In fact, at one point my wife angrily interjected about Min-sik Choi's character (Kyung-chul) "I hate him. He's so effing evil. I hate every single thing about him!!" That speaks for itself about how effective he was in playing the psychotic,serial killing bad guy. An overall spectacular movie folks!

5. The Roost (2005)- {2/5} DVD (First-time viewing) Well, Wizz I should've listened to you about this being non-anamorphic. It was nearly unwatchable on my 106" screen. The concept is nothing new: 4 friends break down in the middle of nowhere on their way to a wedding. They walk to a farm to get some help but the homeowners aren't there...or are they? Mayhem ensues involving killer bats and zombies, but it's a controlled mayhem. Ti West tries to use the slow cook method, but it simply made me bored. I mean, how do you slow cook an 80 min movie? I considered oinking the s@#t out of this, but fought through it as its not in my nature to give up on movies. In the end, there were a few good scares and the song during the credits was pretty sweet, but the idea that the movie was "hosted" on a late night creeper feature show mostly fell flat and the movie as a whole was just not very enjoyable. Since The House of the Devil is so awesome and this was his first movie out of film school; I think I'll give TW a pass on this one though.

6. Dead Silence (2007)- {3.25/5} HBO (First-time viewing) This one is a James Wan flick about a man (Jason from True Blood) who returns to his home town to investigate the history of a ventriloquist doll that may or may not have been involved in the death of his wife. The story sounds pretty foolish and I've avoided this movie since it came out because of that (was never a fan of the Chucky series). Well, HBO had it on recently, so I thought WTH....When it was all said and done though, I actually enjoyed this one. I bought into the concept early on and settled in for some good fun. There are some sweet kills and sound effects not to mention the dolls were pretty damn creepy as well. Overall, a fairly cool movie that I would not hesitate to recommend if you're hurting for options.

7. Murder Set Pieces (2004)- {1.5/5} DVD (First-time viewing) Movies marketed as being "shocking, horrifying, controversial" will catch my eye if I'm browsing around, looking for something to watch. So, I figure... why not give it a shot. There are spots in my list for the good and the bad........I mean, that's the nature of trying to find 31 horror flicks to watch every October. Unfortunately, this one was such a sh*tfest from the jump that I considered putting in something else and not even counting it. I'm ashamed to say that I did hang with it though, in hopes of some sort of payoff. That was a mistake. A lot of blood and nudity can't make up for atrocious acting, poor dialog and some of the worst editing I've ever seen.

8. Session 9 (2001)- {4.25/5} DVD (First-time viewing) This movie is about an asbestos cleanup crew who take a bid at an abandoned insane asylum. As the days go by, the members of the crew start to become affected by unseen forces that reside within the asylum and it eventually turns into unfortunate circumstances for all involved. Overall, I really liked this movie. It was definitely done with the intent of making you think to try to make sense of all that is happening. I’ll admit to having to rewind on a few occasions to make sure that I understood what exactly had occurred. The chemistry between the characters was very good and the acting, in general was right on the money. I loved the pacing and the subtle little hints and secrets that are revealed as you go. If you like psychological horror, you definitely have to give this one a go. It actually reminded me a little of The Shining. The last line in the movie was killer.

9. Frankenstein's Army (2013)- {3.75/5) Blu-ray (First-time viewing) I don’t have an issue with movies that start slow to build anticipation (in fact, I enjoy them), but for some reason, this one had me feeling a little impatient to see the badass “creations” that everyone has been talking about. Don’t get me wrong, the storyline is pretty solid and I have no complaints, but man…I really wanted to just jump to the nitty gritty. Anyway, once we get there and these monstrosities are revealed, we were not disappointed. These things looked like they came straight out of a video game, very imaginative. I’ve never really seen a movie like this before. The creatures get more bizarre as the movie goes on, but I couldn’t believe how inept they were at killing people. I mean, they had some crazy tools of destruction at their disposal that looked as if they could do some serious damage but I suppose they just weren’t that proficient with them given the nature of how they were created. Either way, this one was a fun ride and we especially loved the insanely powerful LFE that constantly bombarded you throughout the entire movie.

10. Population 436 (2006)- {3/5} DVD (First-time viewing) This one is about a census bureau employee who is sent to a place called Rockwell Falls. But there's something very strange about Rockwell Falls....its population has been 436 over the course of a few generations. For a direct to dvd flick, this one's pretty good. It stars Jeremy Sisto and Fred Durst and features some twists and turns that spin a cool, but fairly predictable story. I read somewhere that this movie was similar to a Twilight Zone episode and I think that it is probably the best way to describe it. Not really worthy of a repeat viewing, but its a good option for a rental if you're hurting for options.

11. The Purge (2013)- {2.5/5} Blu-ray (First-time viewing) The overall idea is solid, I think we can all agree on that. There were also some really good kills and tense moments that when judged independently, should be a good foundation for a first class horror movie. Well, this one falls well short of that due to poor execution and silly writing. There were a number of directorial decisions that were downright ridiculous (WTF moments, if you will) and we found ourselves loudly expressing our displeasure on a number of occasions. Now, I don't want to give the impression that this movie was a complete flop as it does have it's moments. It's just that it could have been so much better and because of that, we were fairly disappointed.

12. Dark Skies (2013)- {4/5} Blu-ray This was a pleasant surprise when we watched it back in June so it was a no-brainer for a repeat viewing in October. This movie features good performances and an interesting story that is well-paced and effectively creepy. It almost makes the same mistake that Insidious did with the addition of the paranormal "expert" character in J.K. Simmons, but thankfully, it only serves as a minor distraction. An all-around good film, folks. Recommended.

13. Exorcismus (2010)- {2.75/5} IFC (First-time viewing) This movie doesn't necessarily bring a completely different perspective to the exorcism genre but it does offer its own twist that had some good potential. Its about a teenage girl who begins having seizures but no one (including the doctors) can figure out why. Her behavior becomes increasingly more sinister and it is eventually determined that they will enlist the help of her uncle who happens to be a priest with exorcism experience. I will say that this movie overall was a mixed bag. I enjoyed the performance by Sophie Vavasseur as the main character because she did a very good job with what appeared to be a demanding role. Aside from her though, the rest of the acting seemed a little flat to me, especially by the couple who played her parents. I also had some issues with the use of "flashbacks" to tell the story. Although there is nothing wrong with that technique if used in moderation, it just seemed to be implemented a little too much. As the story went on, I found myself questioning the writing as it basically didn't seem to be going anywhere. But when it was all said and done, it does end up tying up the loose ends fairly well. Not a ton of scary moments, but an okay movie that certainly does have some redeeming qualities.

14. The Lost Boys (1987)- {4/5} Blu-ray Pure 80’s fun ladies and gentlemen. I originally bought the blu-ray for 2008’s marathon and definitely enjoyed the experience, cheese and all. This time around though, I had more fun with it for some reason. It’s got so many classic 80’s elements to it; you simply can’t resist catapulting yourself back in time. The way the movie is shot and the atmosphere that it creates were the highlights for me with the never-ending fog and great set pieces. This one is in the top tier of all-time vampire movies and with my newfound respect for it, I’m bumping up my previous 3.5 rating to a 4. The last line is classic.

15. Sublime (2007)- {3.75/5} DVD If I had to describe this movie in one word, it would be bizarre. Without spoiling it for those who may not have seen it, this one is about a man who celebrates his 40th birthday with family and friends on the day before he is scheduled to have a colonoscopy. The foundation is laid when the people that he interacts with keep strangely talking about the horror stories that occur with botched surgeries and people who perform surgical exorcisms. Not really appropriate to be talking about when a guy is about to go under the knife, but it happens nonetheless. Well, things start getting bizarre once he arrives at the hospital and it dives into a strange series of events that are reminiscent of maybe a Twilight Zone episode. From that point, it moves along very methodically with various creepy and mysterious scenes until you are finally shown enough hints to figure out what exactly is going on. Not a traditional horror movie but more of a psychological thriller with horrifying elements to it. In the end, this was a very powerful movie that will most definitely have you thinking about it well after the credits roll. A complete mindbinder.

16. The Last House on the Left (2009)- {4.25/5} Blu-ray This is a revisit from Horrorfest 2010. My thoughts and rating from that review still stand. Some really fantastic performances all around and a fairly satisfying revenge story that “almost” makes up for the horrible brutality inflicted on the innocent victims. The camerawork does a good job of adding realism to the story and the part that gets me every time is the fact that the female criminal actually helps to facilitate the rape. So wrong on every imaginable level. Overall, it’s a tough movie to watch but I feel that it’s extremely well done in every area except for maybe the very end. Still seems misplaced to me.

17. Midnight Son (2011)- {3/5} DVD (First-time viewing) This is an indie film about a man who struggles to learn how to live (and love) as a vampire in modern day society. There are no references to how he became a vampire and it appears that he is not even aware of it until well into the movie. The co-plot deals with his newfound relationship with a woman who happens to be a cocaine addict and the issues they face trying to make their relationship work given their personal issues. The movie seems to have been given really good reviews from the masses and it’s not that I disagree that it’s a good movie, but it just wasn’t my bag. It goes out of its way to be different from the usual vampire fare and I give it credit for that; however, it would have been more appealing if there was a little more “spice” tossed in here and there. In the end, it was cool to see something different when it comes to vampire films and it really was well done overall, but for my personal tastes it gets a 3/5.

18. World War Z (2013)- {3.5/5} Blu-ray (First-time viewing) Regardless of the ridiculous moments in this movie, its a pretty sweet thrill ride. A good mix of horror and action that was a fun HT experience that's for sure. The wtf moments came fairly often though as the writing certainly could've used an overhaul. Taking the good with the bad, this was still a fun film to watch. You just have to make sure to check your entire central nervous system in at the door.

19. The Blair Witch Project (1999)- {4.5/5} Blu-ray A repeat from 2010's Horrorfest. This is still one of the scariest movies I own. Even after multiple viewings. The one that birthed found footage is still the king IMO. Loved it.

20. Paranormal Activity (2007)- {4.25/5} Blu-ray Another repeat from a couple years back. One of our guests had strangely seen all the other installments in the series except for this one, so we ended our triple feature with it. As creepy as they come folks. The tension and anticipation of something bad happening make this so much damn fun to watch.

21. Halloween (2007)- {4.25/5} Blu-ray Our guests requested a Rob Zombie double feature so since my buddy's girlfriend hadn't seen it; we started with this one. Nothing new to report as I've been very fond of this remake since its release. I think I'm just gonna officially make this a yearly Oct watch.

22. V/H/S (2012)- {3.75/5} Blu-ray This is a repeat from last year in anticipation of the sequel that we’ll be watching later this week. After a second viewing, I almost changed my previous rating from 3.75 to 3.5 because the wraparound story was weaker and more annoying than I remember, but I decided against it because I actually enjoyed a couple of the stories a little more than last time. Still a little inconsistent overall, but I suppose that’s what you’re gonna get when there are multiple directorial visions in one movie. Looking forward to V/H/S 2 after the mostly positive reviews.

23. The Pumpkin Karver (2006)- {.5/5} SyFy (First-time viewing) The best way to convey my thoughts about this movie is to adopt the review method used by a few other members. No need for a brief synopsis as it would be a waste of time.

This movie features:
-horrible writing
-worse acting
-downright atrocious editing
-no scary moments
-the most detestable characters in the history of cinema
-a few hot chicks that are apparently attracted to these detestable characters

24. Halloween III (1982)- {1.75/5} AMC My initial impression when viewing the first half of the movie on the previous night, was that it was an extremely corny effort to incorporate “technology” into the horror genre while at the same time horribly watering down the Halloween franchise altogether. Although I still stand by those thoughts for the most part, I feel like this film was actually slightly entertaining when it was all said and done. Judged on its own merits without taking into consideration the fact that it has absolutely nothing to do with the first two Halloween offerings, it was an original idea that had a few noteworthy moments and a solid performance by Dan O’Herlihy as the evil mastermind behind all the mayhem. I also felt that it played out more like a sci-fi flick but I suppose there were enough “scares” and kills to qualify it as horror. In the end, this was still a very cheestastic movie but I have to admit that I ended up not hating it nearly as much as anticipated. The ending was actually pretty good despite the ridiculous setup to it.

25. V/H/S 2 (2013)- {4/5} Amazon VOD (First-time viewing) Compared to the first one, I would say that this one was slightly better overall and certainly had the finest installment of the entire collection in Safe Haven. Man, that was an awesome watch!!! I would also say that Pt. 2 was a little more imaginative than the original. The first person cam in A Ride in the Park is a good example of that. Phase 1 Clinical Trials was definitely the weakest of the sub-stories (although still fairly good) while the wraparound story of Tape 49 was only so-so. Alien Abduction was most definitely our second favorite with its crazy intensity and realistic presentation. This will be permanently added to our collection once the blu-ray goes on sale and we’re definitely looking forward to the next one. Highly recommended.

26. The Conjuring (2013)- {4.25/5} Blu-ray (First-time viewing) Conjuring night was originally slated as a double date but those plans fell through once my wife realized that her schedule had changed and she had to work Friday night. Well, since she already saw it in the theater with her cousin, the show must go on….and it did. I had a couple of work friends over for it instead and overall; we all thought it was a very good movie. The pacing and buildup were extremely well done and all the performances were solid. In fact, I thought that everything was spot on except for maybe the intensity of the scares. Now, I’m not exactly sure why, but I felt that it didn’t quite live up to the hype in that regard. Don’t get me wrong, I was still very uncomfortable on a few occasions but it just seemed that many of the creepy parts were a little…..I don’t know…..predictable?? Definitely still enjoyed it though and it’s on the short list for a second watch. Great home theater presentation as well.

27. Evil Dead (2013)- {4.25/5} Blu-ray The second time around with this produced a much more enjoyable experience. Maybe it was the fact that it was in my own theater room rather than the local Cineplex. Well, first and foremost, this has got to be the finest A/V presentation in a horror movie to date. Simply stunning PQ accompanied by an incredible surround mix made this an absolute pleasure to watch. I mean, even the title menu on the blu-ray was awesome!! Every single sound effect was enhanced and every shot was made to be as vile and bloody as possible. Crazy fun!! With that said, the story itself is a little shaky and Jane Levy’s performance pre-possession was really flat. It wasn’t until the sh#t hits the fan that she takes hold of the reins and runs with it. Presentation gets a 5 while the writing/acting/execution gets a 3.5. Final rating is the average of the two.

28. Maniac (2012)- {4.5/5} Blu-ray (First-time viewing) Maniac starts off with a bang and continues to bombard you with amazingly gruesome images and awesome brutality through the ending credits. Seeing Elijah Wood in this kind of role was a little weird at first, but he does an excellent job (even if a lot of it is in narrative form due to much of the movie being shot in the first person). The violent scenes are incredibly realistic and even though it’s a horror flick, the entire movie has a very artistic feel to it. I should also show some respect to the women that are featured in this movie. Very good performances all around and mighty fine to look at as well. The background behind Wood’s maniacal behaviors is certainly nothing new to the genre, but it didn’t prevent me from enjoying this movie in the least. This was a blind buy and I couldn’t be more pleased. Along with Dark Skies, this one is tops for sleeper of the year. Very highly recommended.

29. No One Lives (2012)- {3.25/5} Blu-ray (First-time viewing) This was another blind buy for this year’s Horrorfest and overall, it was mostly an enjoyable flick. The tale centers on a mysterious couple who have a run in at a diner with a group of rough and tough criminals. They eventually end up being taken “hostage” by these guys and the story quickly takes a few turns that ends up flipping the script a little on the perpetrators. It kinda reminded me of a horror version of Rambo. The storyline was definitely fun and unique but it could have been executed a little better and there were a few things that were pretty damn outrageous. There was certainly no shortage of blood and gore though. They went all out in that regard which was cool to watch. The acting was hit and miss as some characters did a good job while others seemed to either struggle with acting altogether or were just forcing it too much (Lee Tergeson, I’m talking to you). In the end, this was still a good addition to this year’s list and I would recommend giving it a whirl if you haven’t seen it yet.

30. Sinister (2013)- {4.25/5} Blu-ray Overall, this movie was very well done. This is my second time seeing this and I enjoyed it just as much this time around. This movie has awesome imagery and some truly scary sequences. A nice blend of horror and suspense with good performances from the cast made this movie a perfect lead in to the household favorites that we reserved for the final days of Horrorfest. Highly recommended.

31. The House of the Devil (2009)- {4.75/5} Blu-ray Nothing new to report here. This will continue to be a part of Horrorfest for years to come. I love the slow burn and how the scene is set for the awesome final sequence. It simply doesn’t get much better folks!! A perfect homage to late 70s-early 80s horror.

32. Trick 'r Treat (2007)- {4/5} Blu-ray Halloween night and a double feature kicked off by a flick that seems to get better year after year. This is an absolute must-see in October as far as I’m concerned and since the blu-ray can be found for less than $10 on the net; there is no excuse for a horror fan not to have it in their library. Perfect mood and atmosphere and just plain fun. I see there are reports that Pt. 2 is underway. Exciting news people!!

33. House of 1000 Corpses (2003)- {4.75/5} Blu-ray It’s no surprise to the regulars in this thread that this is my favorite horror movie. After numerous viewings I’m still noticing subtle touches that make me appreciate it more and more. And it absolutely bears mentioning that the 16:9 HD presentation looks more glorious on my screen than almost any other film. Bottom line……I can’t think of a better way to round out a month of horror than HOTC and a number of fine cocktails.
darthrsg and ZzBloopzZ like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2013, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone7 View Post

Anyone have a good Netflix streaming suggestion? I'm going to try and squeeze something in during my lunch hour, or at least get a good start on something.
Hellraiser:Deader A little different than the originals but disturbing none the less. smile.gif

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
Old 10-01-2013, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Yup, Horror on Ice.wink.gif
Dude, I so gotta do this.biggrin.gif
Depends on your hockey team:D

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
Old 10-01-2013, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

My blu -ray of Prince of Darkness has arrived (so has Iron Man 3 but in this thread who cares..biggrin.gif ). Will watch Lords of Salem first as that has to go back to Netflix. Looks like I may see the Blu-ray of Mouth of Madness late in October also. smile.gif

Old 10-01-2013, 09:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Today I did Jeepers Creepers 1&2 on BD (BTW, the AV is good).

Great stuff, a fine example of how to make good horror on a low budget.cool.gif

Victor Salva really did an excellent job with these 2 movies.
Salva hits all the right tropes and buttons.
Kudos to him and his crew for pulling this off so well.

Apparently, there is a third movie in the works.smile.gif
Jeepers Creepers 3: Cathedral (original title)
Trish Jenner is now a mother of a teenage son named Darry, named after the brother she lost 23 years ago. Trish has a recurring nightmare where her son suffers the same fate as her brother did, killed by the Creeper. Determined to prevent this from happening, Trish, who is now a rich and powerful woman, sets out on a final quest with Jack Taggart Sr. and Jr. to end the Creeper's reign of terror once and for all.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
Old 10-01-2013, 11:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Quote:

Trish Jenner is now a mother of a teenage son named Darry, named after the brother she lost 23 years ago. Trish has a recurring nightmare where her son suffers the same fate as her brother did, killed by the Creeper. Determined to prevent this from happening, Trish, who is now a rich and powerful woman, sets out on a final quest with Jack Taggart Sr. and Jr. to end the Creeper's reign of terror once and for all.
Nice! I picked up the first one last year and really enjoyed it. Was never much of a fan of the second but will be keeping an eye out for the third!

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

Old 10-01-2013, 11:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

Nice! I picked up the first one last year and really enjoyed it. Was never much of a fan of the second
Try running them as a Double Feature....it helps.wink.gif

Old 10-01-2013, 11:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Tomorrow NF disks arrive.
I'll have The Lords of Salem and Stranded in da house.smile.gif

Gotta make a run to the Growler Refill Station....tongue.gif

Old 10-01-2013, 11:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 372
October 1st:

1. Psycho (1960) - 4 black & white shower zombies.
Some say this was the height of Hitchcock's career and while it is a benchmark in horror and filmmaking he just has too many greats to chose from. Anthony Perkins really gives a splendid performance as an awkward milk-toast bean pole with major mommy issues. The black and white presentation just adds oodles of atmosphere to this timeless classic. Psycho spends most of it's time on atmosphere, dialogue and character and does well with all. As jaded horror fanatics it is nice to go back to a time where all characters in the film had some class as they were depicting everyday folk and be reminded of the stepping stones needed to bring some of the modern greats. Psycho does just that and is well crafted and laid out by one of the greatest names cinema will ever know. 4 black & white shower zombies.

2. Frankensteins Army - 4 steampunk frankenzombies
I was excited to see this one and it really delivered. Well paced with some decent gore and awesome imagination. Fantastic entry into the Nazi zombie whatever. I may have to add this to my collection, highly recommended. 4 steampunk frankenzombies.

October 2nd:

3. The Loved Ones - 4 pretty enough blood zombies
This is obviously a repeat viewing (3rd year IIRC) and just an uber fun twisted ride. Robin McLeavy is simply brilliant as the unhinged teen psycho chick with staggering daddy issues. Plenty of decent gore, well paced, excellent A/V on the B locked bluray, and a favorite in my revenge flick library. 4 pretty enough blood zombies.

4. Videodrome - 3 naked ZILF's
First time viewing this one and I have to say I found it original and entertaining. Almost seems like some inspiration to some of what we've seen in V/H/S. Nudity, torture, James Woods... what else do you need? 3 naked ZILF's.

October 3rd:

5. The Lords of Salem - FAIL
My first eject of the month. High marks to RZ for style and atmosphere but the movie was crap in my humble opinion. I wanted to stop it several times but pushed myself to see if it could deliver in the last 20 min.... nope. I made it to the theater and the various flash scene depictions on the stage and called it quits. I should have listened to my gut and oinked it after 30 min and maybe I would be pissed for wasting 80 mad.gif

6. Species - 3.5 alien sex zombies
I watched this on HDnet after ejecting the lords and really enjoyed it. It's been several years since I've seen it and found it to have aged well. Natasha Henstrage is one hot alien and it's surprising to see how many big names they pulled into this. The dated CG was really the only thing that didn't age well. Had some decent kills and just an overall fun little creature flick. 3.5 alien sex zombies

October 4th:

7. Livide - 3.5 vampiric ballerina zombies
This is my second time viewing this one and I actually enjoyed it much more this time around. For anyone not familiar this is a French film with english subs about Lucie a care-giver in training that meets the seemingly comatosed Jessel who lives alone in a very large, old, creepy house. Lucie is lead to belive that Jessel has "treasure" and notices a key around her neck. It's Halloween night (which seems to serve almost no purpose for the mood of the film) and Lucie is convinced by her boyfriend and his buddy to break into Jessel's home and find the treasure. Things obviously go south and the three find them selves trapped in the house and Jessel missing from her bed. This movie has a lot of great things going for it. The flashbacks to Jessel's ballet teaching and relationship with her daughter were fantastic but a bit too short. There was some fantastic practical effect and gore but if you go in expecting the makers of Inside (À l'intérieur) to soak the film in gore you'd be disappointed. This is a stylistic tale of two bloodthirsty creatures cursed to the boundaries of the property (for reasons not explained) and a young girls attempt to break to free. Enjoyable and unique but could have really been a 5 star flick if they'd ironed out a few of the issues. 3.5 vampiric ballerina zombies

October 5th:

8. The Awakening - 1 1/2 anti-climatic spirit zombies
The Awakening featuring you know that chick who played Christian Bale's wife in The Prestige... yeah her. The movie does not feature a lap dance mad.gif The movie does feature cheap jump scares with a lackluster unnecessarily long build up delivering an even more lackluster big reveal. Nothing new or interesting about this film, if you are looking for a proper ghost story with an old orphanage see The Orphanage and call it good. 1 1/2 anti-climatic spirit zombies

October 6th:

9. The Orphanage - 3.5 Spanish speaking orphan zombies
As an overall film I would rate this higher but as we see more and more haunting movies and more creepy kid movies some of the magic is lost on repeat viewing of this film. The atmosphere and intrigue were brilliantly crafted for this film however it does seem light on the scares once it gets rolling with more of a find the clues, solve the mystery thrust. I still really enjoyed it but not sure it is sufficient for "31 days of horror". 3.5 Spanish speaking orphan zombies

10. Inbred - 3.5 neck stump zombies
Maybe my mood was just off last night but this is another one that has dropped a tad for me in the enjoyability factor. Still a fun movie with some real sick SOB's but again looses some umph on repeat viewings. I'm still glad to have a copy and have not seen a US bluray available yet. 3.5 neck stump zombies

October 7th:

11. Dawn of the Dead (2004) - 4.5 fast zombies
As much as we have talked about films that have not aged well this one seems to be the opposite. As more and more crappy z flicks saturate the genre it is nice to visit one that has a good handle on practical effects, good makeup, solid characters, and mostly plausible situations/decisions. Great cast here and just a damn fun z flick! 4.5 fast zombies

12. After Dusk They Come - 1 dumbass zombietreemonkey
Just a complete waste of time. I rented this hoping that between being a creature flick and starring the cute canuck from Firefly/Serenity that it would be worth the 90 minutes but I was wrong... terribly bland plot and even worse characters. 1 dumbass zombietreemonkey

October 8th:

13. Attack of the Werewolves (Lobos de Arga) - 4.5 wolfzombies
I bought this last year from amazon uk with Inbred (both B locked) and blind purchases. This is almost on par with An American Werewolf in London with the brilliant dark humor and fantastic makeup/costumes. The town it was filmed in is just a perfect backdrop for the story which is: After 15 years, Tomas, a not very succesfull writer, comes back to the village in Galicia where his family comes from, Arga, apparently to get an award. But he doesn't know the real reason why he is there, to end with an old curse that is been haunting the village for the last hundred years. Without spoiling I can simply say this is a perfect example of a very well-done foreign horror/comedy, very refreshing, and just a damn fun flick to watch. 4.5 wolfzombies

October 9th:

14. Event Horizon - 4 lacerated space zombies
Repeat viewing but always an enjoyable scifi horror flick. I will say that after seeing some of the scenes that were pulled out this does seem to have a bit less of a hellacious impact had they been left in. I doubt we will ever see the film as intended by the director but hope springs eternal wink.gif 4 lacerated space zombies

October 10th:

15. The Pit and the Pendulum - 3.5 technicolor zombies
First time viewing and I have to admit I expected a bit more of a haunting atmosphere. That said I really enjoyed the cast in this and Vincent Price was just brilliant. The film plays out more as a who done it/discover the mystery but it captured the mood and hit the spot for what I was looking for last night. 3.5 technicolor zombies

October 11th:

16. The Purge - 2 bad decision zombies
This one started out with some promise and while it offered a couple nice twists they were only enough to save it from a single zombie rating for the predictability and bombardment of stupid decisions. The acting was fine just an original idea/conept wasted. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
It did not take long for me really wanting the kid to get purged... yes you stupid little assbag you got your dad killed and are responsible for every other body in and around your home. Oh and be sure when you are hiding the dark under bed you have your come find me light shining bright

October 12th:

17. The Descent - 5 sonar guided zombies
I can't really say anything new about this one but you know it's good when you can watch it year after year and it still captures the same mood, anxiety, and excitement. A must have for every horror fan IMO. 5 sonar guided zombies

October 13th:

18. The Shadow People - 1 placebo zombie
What a waste of a potentially good story. This one focuses on a late night radio talk show host that takes a call from a scared kid talking about shadow people coming to get him and dies the next day. There is a historical element that is never fleshed out and the movie begins to build as if it had something of substance to reveal but never amounts to much. It kinda reminded me of those scenes with the girl taking her top off and right when it gets to the good part the camera angle switches and you just see her bare back mad.gif - 1 placebo zombie

October 14th:

19. The Thing (2011) - 3.5 CGI zombiethings
This movie was for the most part a bad idea... we already know how the norg camp ends up so spelling it out is inevitably going to be an updated version of the 1982 masterpiece that can not be outdone. The movie losses additional points for too much damn CGI! I had always hoped if they had to do a sequel it would be The Things and maybe have a Kurt Russel return as he stumbles down a hill looking over a town like the one from 30 days of night... something to progress the story and move the creature into higher populated areas. At any rate I did find the leads in this to be mostly enjoyable and the idea that someone else was out there when all was said and done was a nice touch. The movie also does an excellent job in matching scenes to what was shown in the 1982 film when they discovered the norg camp. 3.5 CGI zombiethings

October 15th:

20. I Spit On Your Grave 2 - 3.5 sick effing zombies
This one has seemed to get mostly high marks (oink excluded of course) so I was anxious to see it. NF had a long wait so I watched it via Vudu. Top marks to the writers for not regurgitating the same story AND setting. They put a nice twist in this early on that I thought was brilliant. Unfortunately the torture just lasted a bit too long for my stomach and by the time the revenge should be at its peak it feels they rushed the finish the last 20 minutes instead of doing it right and letting the movie run a full 2 hours. Easily one of the best straight to DVD sequels out there but it needed the same out of the box writing and care that it was given in the fist hour to finish stronger. 3.5 sick effing zombies

21. House on Haunted Hill (1959) - 3.5 black and white zombies
Vincent Price is fantastic in this and mostly saves it from being too slow. It was nice to finally see this and draw some comparisons to the remake and still be able to appreciate Geoffrey Rush who is just a brilliant actor IMO. The movie mostly plays out like a game of Clue with few scares but great atmosphere and still very enjoyable and fitting for October. 3.5 black and white zombies

October 16th:

22. Session 9 - 5 mind effing zombies
This one has been reviewed to death but I will just say this IS psychological horror at its best! Jus t a brilliant film and cooks slow and delivers a stomach dropping closing that keeps your wheels turning slowly in a dark place. My wife gave me the nastiest look at the end and I knew I was not alone in the feeling it left us with even on a repeat viewing. Excellent movie and filmed in a real abandoned insane asylum made all the difference for an atmosphere that simply can not be created but the best set designers. 5 mind effing zombies.

23. Pacific Rim - 4.5 LFE MONSTER ZOMBIES
This one is a bit out of place in the standard October lineup but holy crap am I glad I rolled the dice and picked this up in 3D on a blind buy. I've read my fair share of complaints on the movie but really had only a couple myself. This is just an amazingly funass popcorn flick! The monsters and robots look badass and the 3D presentation is stunning. Benchmark audio and LFE presentation. I liked the lead female in this, I have a hard time deciding which accent is sexier, Japanese or Russian.... hmmmm. The only male character that was interesting and convincing was Stacker Pentecost, the actor that played him was also in Thor and although his role in that was brief I enjoyed his character there as well. Wrap it all together and you have a damn fun home theater exercise that is sure to be worth repeat viewings with company or solo. My only complaint is that most of the film and the fights take place in the dark or dark places. It worked well here and perhaps in the sequel (if there is one) we will see more diversity in the locations. That said by the final battle I was a tad disappointed we weren't treated to something in the forest, tropics, or some place with a more bright colorful backdrop. A minor gripe at best and while I'm tempted to give this a full 5 star rating there were some minor things that held it back for me, especially as an October entry. 4.5 LFE MONSTER ZOMBIES

October 17th:

24. Halloween (2007) - 3.5 6'8" zombie slashers
As always, I enjoy RZ's take on this adding some backstory and using the actors size and brutal imagery to bring a new element of fear into a familiar face. The movie falls short with the overplayed white-trash motif and the lack of a likable character with a bit of charm like Loomis or Lori. Still a solid effort though. 3.5 6'8" zombies

25. The Shining - 5 lunatic zombies
This one has been reviewed to death but talk about a repeat viewing value, it just never gets old. Some serious wtf moments at the end with some of the scenes but the bathroom scene may take the cake for grossarseshyte! 5 lunatic zombies

October 18th:

26. May - 1 zombie doll
What a stupid POS waste of time. I should have oinked this one after 30 min but the lead character, May, was enjoyable to watch as she fumbles through life searching for a friend. She is so effing awkward it is humorous but it gets old and as you are waiting for her to attempt to assemble the perfect friend from the body parts she has admired on other acquaintances. It just takes too damn long to play out and once it does it's just not very rewarding or interesting. 1 zombie doll

27. An American Werewolf in London - 5 wolf zombies
This is an all time favorite film and genre favorite as well. I'd really like to see someone do a proper werewolf movie with the wolf on all fours and great practical effects. There have been so many failures in the werewolf film attempts it's too bad we couldn't get the Evil Dead folks to pay it some respect. That said this is a timeless classic with a good dose of humor and brilliant creature creation. 5 wolf zombies

October 19th:

28. The Fourth Kind - 3 sumerian alien zombies
This film pretends to be a re-creation of so-called real events regarding Alien abductions in Nome Alaska with "actual footage" shown side-by-side in several scenes and interviews. The film works well in many ways however the actual footage is not one of them. It detracts from the film and pulls the viewer out of the moment IMO. The Alaskan backdrop and sense of isolation are captured very well and there are some pretty frightening scenes but my experience with this film was a bit ruined this time around due to overly chatty company. 3 sumerian alien zombies

October 20th:

29. REC - 5 demonic fast zombies
I would probably rate REC, Pontypool, and Dawn of the Dead my absolute favorite Z flicks, in that order. Manuela Velasco is absolutely gorgeous and should have her place in the hottest women thread. The atmosphere in the film is absolutely perfect. The movie just plunges deeper and deeper to a point of no return and just when you think it's another unexplained z virus the big twist enters. I love this because it is such a refreshing perspective to integrate possession and z virus into the same story and it was done very well. 5 demonic fast zombies

30. REC 2 - 4 demonic fast zombies
As is the case with most sequels REC2 is a slightly lesser successor to the original however I look at these two films in the same way I look at Casino Royale and Quantum of Solace in that the first is clearly superior in every way however when viewed together as one complete film or story they are both equally fantastic. I rate REC 2 as a stand alone but will say the A/V on the bluray is stunning and I love that it dives deeper into the virus origins. I found the side story of the kids that tie into the main characters to be distracting and unnecessary but appreciate the attempt to keep things fresh. 4 demonic fast zombies

October 21th:

31. Morituris - 2 gladiator zombies
I mostly enjoyed this as a B slasher of the foreign variety however it was in Italian and had no subs so I didn't get all of it but understood the gist. Rome, in 73 B.C. .Spartacus led the rebellion of 200 gladiators which saw them opposed to the inhumanity which Rome had forced them into. During the riot they resisted for a long time against Roman soldiers. Few against a whole army. Some of them went crazy and started murders, rapes and violence. Spartacus punished them with death. But in those Lands, when blood gets shed, they come back. This movie was partly inspired by true events known as the "Circeo Massacre" (in Italian: "Massacro del Circeo"), which occurred primarily in the commune of San Felice Circeo, Italy at the end of September of 1975. Three young men raped and tortured a 19-year-old woman and a 17-year-old girl for two days, then murdered the woman; the girl avoided being murdered by pretending to be dead. Lots of brutality to women which was a bit much for me and some decent kills/gore but all in all not much new here. 2 gladiator zombies and a special thanks to my man wiz for the hookup!

October 22th:

32. Sweeney Todd - 5 song-full zombies
What can I say about this one I haven't said before. In my book this is perfection. As a music theory and composition major as well as a horror film junkie this one just hits the mark perfectly for me. I love the costumes, the sets, the lighting, the color palette, and of course the music, story, and atmosphere. I had no prior experience with this story before blinf buying this movie when it was released. I know Depp and Carter received their fair share of complaints when compared to the broadway show but everything was perfect for me and I'm somewhat glad to have had this be my first experience with the story as I get to appreciate it all over again every October. I've said it before and will repeat, going to a desert island with only 5 movies out of all movies ever made and this is one of the five I bring with me. Simply brilliant. 5 song-full zombies

October 23rd:

33. Hellraiser II: Hellbound - 4 skinless musclesuit zombies
For me Hellraiser II and Hellraiser 4: Bloodline are the only ones you need to see to get the story. Hellraiser 2 does a nice brief recap of Helraiser but quickly dives deeper into Pinheads origins and the labyrinth of hell. Some creative set designs that I felt captured the idea well and while the film is aging somewhat poorly the concept and story is still really unparalleled. There has been nothing that expresses such dark imagination with such a unique concept. 4 skinless muslesuit zombies

October 24rd:

34. Se7en - 5 what's in the box zombies
What an excellent film, Pitt and Freeman both at the top of their game and Spacey as well. I love how the city is nameless and always bad weather, it adds such a dark and claustrophobic feel to the film. The deaths are just as gruesome as the plot thrust and it really does leave you with a rotten feeling in your gut. That is the mark of a good film, when it "gets to you". 5 what's in the box zombies

October 25th:

35. House of 1000 Corpses - 4.5 bunny zombies
This is one of the films that has not only grown on me but also become one of my most favorite ones to watch each year. The atmosphere in this film is simply incredible! The movie really does play out in an Alice in Wonderland fashion as it keeps getting more grim and evil the further it plunges viewers into the evil rabbit hole. 4.5 bunny zombies

36. A Nightmare on Elm Street - 4.5 80's zombies
I have not seen this in years and got hooked on it on AMC as soon as HOATC ended. Really just a great film. It's easy to forget just how original and horrific this was as a film and as a concept that something in your dream could hurt you for real and there was not much you could do about it. Although the acting has its problems it certainly wasn't as bad as I expected or remembered it to be. The gore was really gratuitous even for todays standards but the use of blood and latex make all the difference. 4.5 80's zombies

October 26th:

37. The Conjuring - 5 demonic zombies
Second time viewing but sure was a treat to watch it on my HT with the sound blasted and all the lights out. We had about 14 people over for this showing and it did its job scaring the hell out of them well! We even had one guy that left eek.gif Just a fantastic movie that has likable characters that are relatable, fairly well developed, and best of all convincing. The film builds tension perfectly and definitely delivers when its time for fireworks. The reactions of our guests were priceless! 5 demonic zombies

October 27th:

38. Creepshow - 4 cake zombies
It's pretty hard to follow the success of The Conjuring so I had to dig into a different brand of horror and it delivered as always. I deduct one point for the meteor story with Stephen King which I usually skip because I can't stand it. Fortunately The Crate makes up for the other shortcomings! 4 cake zombies

October 28th:

39. Suspiria - 4.5 witch zombies
This is another reason to have a region b bluray player, the transfer is not the best but the audio is fantastic and while the color palette is off it is still a huge improvement from the DVD. Although the movie had plenty of cheese and some lousy acting the music, set design, and colors more than make for distraction. 4.5 witch zombies

40. Return of the Living Dead (1985) - 5 brain-eating zombies
This was my first time viewing my B locked version with the original mono track and I have to say it was a great experience. I really enjoyed the mono track more than I thought I would. Although the makeup was pretty bad the animatronic work on the female torso zombie and some of the other practical effects were great. One of my favorite z flicks and a super fun one to boot! 5 brain-eating zombies

October 29th:

41. The Exorcist III - 2.5 dialogue heavy zombies
I knew I had seen this before but it has been years so wanted to give it a go based on the reviews here. Unfortunately it was just too slow for me. I enjoyed the story and ties to the original but perhaps it was the hospital setting or characters that I just found to be uninteresting and left me clock watching. It did deliver some nice scares and the climax was pretty decent but as a whole I just couldn't get invested. 2.5 dialogue heavy zombies

42. The Last House on the Left (2009) - 4.5 revenge zombies
It's been a while since I saw this and watching it again for the second time was a treat. I really forgot how brutal the r@pe scene was and had trouble watching it. For some reason it seems more brutal than the one in I Spit on Your Grave? Great casting here, all the characters seemed to have a distinct personality and place in the film and all were convincing. I admit I have never seen the original but as a stand alone film this one was done very well and apart from a few bad choices played out in the final scenes between the doctor and main bad guy doing the cat and mouse routine, I give this one high marks across the board. 4.5 revenge zombies

October 30th:

43. The Strangers - 4 home invasion zombies
I've seen this one a few times but really like how well this was put together. The victims were dumb as hell but once you suspend your issues with that and take it at face value it is a very solid flick with fantastic atmosphere and lighting. The perps were totally effing creepy and the final moments were terrifying to watch even as a horror film veteran. I'm not a big cheerleader for sequels but this is a film that needs a follow up. 4 home invasion zombies

44. I Spit on Your Grave - 4 woman scorned zombies
Yet another film with a brutal r@ape scene however unlike LHOTL this victim takes revenge to a whole new level. Imagine if Jigsaw was raped, and what he would do to the victims and that pretty much sums up this film. I really enjoy this one simply because it pushes the envelope and really delivers the type of revenge you want to see exacted on scum like that. A tension building visceral experience for sure! 4 woman scorned zombies

October 31st:

45. Skinwalker Ranch - 3.5 paranormal alien wolf zombies
I had to see this because the previews looked fantastic. The end result was certainly worth watching but a lot of unrealized potential here as well. The film takes place on a ranch in Utah that has a history of strange activity. The thrust of the plot is the investigation of the disappearance of a young boy Cody and his father Hoyt who refuses to give up on finding out what happened (the farm owner or Jon Gries, who I know best as Lazlo Hollyfeld from Real Genius wink.gif ). The film has some brief interviews with the locals and quickly dives into the arrival of the investigation team. Obviously strange things begin to happen and increase as the film progresses but its runs into trouble when things really start to escalate. There are a lot of awesome things this has going for it... truly a blend of everything you would want to see in a found footage film on abduction. The different phenomena are somewhat disjointed but in a creepy and awesome way that is unique and plays out scary as hell because the viewer has no idea what is next. This is film that lets you know from the first scare that nothing to follow is predictable for even the hardcore genre fans. The problem this film has is really 2 parts that both point to budget. The film needed a larger budget and about another 15 minutes to tie things together. There were simply too many things going on here that did not tie together for a satisfying or jaw dropping reveal. Additionally, the reveal should have been followed by a slightly more elevated and epic climax. The way things were building throughout the film give the impression that the last 20 minutes will knock you off your feet with terror and it just doesn't quite get there. Again I blame this on budget constraints. I'd actually like to see this as a sequel backed with better financing or even a directors cut down the road with another 10-15 minutes added in somehow. Complaints aside this was still absolutely worth watching and I look forward to seeing this on my HT next go instead of my damn 27" iMac, the lack of a proper HT experience may have also contributed towards my score. 3.5 paranormal alien wolf zombies

46. Trick r' Treat - 5 pumpkin zombies
I just love this film, it seems to have everything I want to see in a Halloween themed movie. I love how the stories are all connected in one way or another and I love how you never lose sight of the fact this is all taking place on Halloween night. It echo's the great elements of Creepshow with satire, dark humor, haunting tales, and a bit of gore as well. Sam is the new icon of Halloween and while there will never be a better example than Michael Myers to symbolize the scary/horror element of Halloween, Sam is the alpha and omega of Halloween spirit and it is captured perfectly in his character for this film. 5 pumpkin zombies

47. Halloween (1978) - 5 slasher zombies
Can't really say anything new about this but I enjoy it just as much every year that I watch it. Really a brilliant film that continues to evoke fear just at the sight of that mask. - 5 slasher zombies.
darthrsg likes this.

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

Old 10-02-2013, 02:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Nice to know there is a third one coming, enjoyed the first two.

Old 10-02-2013, 04:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 974
I awoke before the alarm, at 4:57 am and fired up Zombie, 1979 Fulci. At exactly 5:18 the two year old decided to join me.
BornSlippyZ likes this.
Old 10-02-2013, 05:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 343

2. Aliens 1986, Special edition BD This movie is a mixture of Action/horror/sci-fi and imo one of James Cameron's best piece of film making! Also the special edition or longer edition was the directors intent and it actually adds a bit more to the story. This sequel leaves off where the first one ended and once the action starts there is no letting up! Besides the main characters in the film, the set pieces and Aliens are the main attraction with the Queen being one of the best practical marionette puppets seen in a film. This just adds to the tension and terror to what the humans are up against. I highly recommend adding this to any BD collection and this movie holds up well even today.

5 Alien Queen Zombies

Since looking at what the vets do I will also add FTV (first time viewing) and up to 5 stars/Zombies.

October HorrorFest Participant
Old 10-02-2013, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

I awoke before the alarm, at 4:57 am and fired up Zombie, 1979 Fulci. At exactly 5:18 the two year old decided to join me.

Kids have impeccable timing lol!

Mine do that all the time but I got lucky last night.

Old 10-02-2013, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

2. Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust. Flat out awesome animated movie that Blade ripped off. Oozes style and stays in a post apocalyptic gothic world with the right amount pf blood and gore. It's also very well written and each character is welcome on screen. I'd love to see a live action version of this.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 75
The Horde (2009)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1183276/?ref_=sr_1

At the recommendation of forum member PooperScooper I watched "The Horde" last night. Actually started it during lunch yesterday and finished it up last night. Wow, holy last stands Batman! biggrin.gif The movie has French speakers but is subtitled which didn't bother me at all. Most of the film takes place in a high rise apartment building as a brutal drug gang and vigilante cops clash in the middle of a zombie horde. The performances of the actors are what made this movie for me and that's rare in a horror flick. The fight scenes between the humans and zombies are brutal and more complicated than any zombie movie I have ever seen. This was great fun and I will probably watch it again. 4 out of 5 flesh munching zombies. Thanks for the reco PooperScooper!
darthrsg likes this.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 298
1. Some Guy Who Kills People (first-time viewing)
Enjoyable if awkward slasher comedy with lots of character and heart. A comic-book artist wannabe fresh out of the looney bin starts offing the guys who bullied him in high school, but things get complicated when his illegitimate daughter (the result of a one-night high school tryst) wants to get back into his life. This didn't really feel like a horror movie, although some of the kills are quite spectacular and bloody. Instead this felt like the kind of movie a father could watch with his teenage daughter (assuming she doesn't mind occasional gore). The bond formed between the father and his estranged daughter feels very real, even if most of the other characters are saying and doing unrealistic (but often quite funny) things. Karen Black (the killer's mother) and Barry Bostwick (the amiable aging sherif who's dating her) are superb and hilarious. The movie's schizophrenic tone is sometimes distracting and it's not really a true horror movie, but I quite enjoyed watching it. 3 1/2 out of 5 stars.

Bob's October 2013 Horror Movie List
FTV denotes first time viewing
1. Some Guy Who Kills People (FTV)

"I'LL SHOW YOU THE LIFE OF THE MIND!!!" - Barton Fink
Old 10-02-2013, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

I think I need to add ratings to my list. Hard to decide on what scale to use. I think Netlfix 5 stars are easiest.

1 star. HATED IT

2 stars. Didn't like it.

3 stars. I liked it.

4 stars. I really liked it.

5 stars. I loved it.

In respect to this thread if I go 5 and you don't agree we can't be friends. smile.gif With 3's and 4's you should probably find some value in the title and 1' and 2's are to be avoided unless you love the genre and must see it all. I've stayed through some real garbage just to say I've seen it and still kind of liked it sometimes.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

I will admit I had a small television on the Pirates/Reds game during my movie viewing! How could I not?!

Old 10-02-2013, 08:48 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Quote:

The Horde (2009)

At the recommendation of forum member PooperScooper I watched "The Horde" last night. Actually started it during lunch yesterday and finished it up last night. Wow, holy last stands Batman! biggrin.gif The movie has French speakers but is subtitled which didn't bother me at all. Most of the film takes place in a high rise apartment building as a brutal drug gang and vigilante cops clash in the middle of a zombie horde. The performances of the actors are what made this movie for me and that's rare in a horror flick. The fight scenes between the humans and zombies are brutal and more complicated than any zombie movie I have ever seen. This was great fun and I will probably watch it again. 4 out of 5 flesh munching zombies. Thanks for the reco PooperScooper!
Yes, the movie made a big splash here when it came out. I haven't seen it in a while and will probably watch the BD again this month. V/H/S is on NF, it's decent, too, although not a zombie movie. There's some talk about it here in this thread IIRC. Also, an early classic, I Spit On Your Grave is on NF streaming.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
Old 10-02-2013, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:

I think I need to add ratings to my list. Hard to decide on what scale to use. I think Netlfix 5 stars are easiest.

1 star. HATED IT

2 stars. Didn't like it.

3 stars. I liked it.

5 stars. I loved it.

In respect to this thread if I go 5 and you don't agree we can't be friends. smile.gif With 3's and 4's you should probably find some value in the title and 1' and 2's are to be avoided unless you love the genre and must see it all. I've stayed through some real garbage just to say I've seen it and still kind of liked it sometimes.

Men on Film. Love it!! In Living Color was a favorite as a teenager.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 347
Yesterday I watched The Lords Of Salem as planned to start the month... It was quite good I loved the "mood" of the film, Rob Zombie sure has an eye for above-average horror, he doesn't rely on cheap scares which is kind of refreshing these days. And his wife is a little cutie so there's that wink.gif

...As this is the first I'm going to do the marathon, what is the best way to both update my list with (small) reviews and keep it current. I have made a list for the first week. what do you guys do generally, just update a particular post with all your titles? Sorry for asking such a "newb" question! biggrin.gif
Bob McLaughlin and wizzack like this.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

Yesterday I watched The Lords Of Salem as planned to start the month... It was quite good I loved the "mood" of the film, Rob Zombie sure has an eye for above-average horror, he doesn't rely on cheap scares which is kind of refreshing these days. And his wife is a little cutie so there's that wink.gif

...As this is the first I'm going to do the marathon, what is the best way to both update my list with (small) reviews and keep it current. I have made a list for the first week. what do you guys do generally, just update a particular post with all your titles? Sorry for asking such a "newb" question! biggrin.gif

I keep editing my list and it serves as an anchor for the month and post a little daily on the current end.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

I just saw that Amazon has added more horror movies to their prime movie list. Going to watch Creepers, and I think I have seen this movie long ago but I don't remember lol.

Old 10-02-2013, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Glad someone else liked LOS! I was starting to think I might be the only one.

I do a daily review and keep a small-font running list below the review to show all titles viewed so far that month.

Old 10-02-2013, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob McLaughlin View Post

Glad someone else liked LOS! I was starting to think I might be the only one.

I do a daily review and keep a small-font running list below the review to show all titles viewed so far that month.

I liked it but wanted to love it.
Bob McLaughlin likes this.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Watched my second movie today - DEAD SNOW - first watch.

Nazi zombies!! With some intelligence!! And can move fast at times!! In the snow!!!

First half of this movie I thought I had blew it by watching this, slow moving, dull, not well-made, etc.

HOWEVER, second half, particularly last third, GORE GORE GORE GORE and more GORE!!!

Some really neat gore scenes, if you are a gore-hound like me you should watch this movie. How can you not like a movie that has a scene with a girl hanging over a cliff with a zombie hanging on to her trying to bite her. Oh, did I mention that she was hanging by holding on to the intestines of a zombie who was up against a tree with a big knife in his eye?

Chainsaw, machine gun, rifle, knife, etc are used in this movie.

Not the best actual movie ever, but the gore is over the top!

I have a big problem with movies that are slow and dull in the first half, and that will hold my rating down to 3, but really for the gore in the second half it deserves a higher rating.

OCTOBER 2013 MOVIES WATCHED:
01) TORTURE ROOM - 2 brainwashed Zombies
02) DEAD SNOW - 3 semi-intelligent Nazi Zombies

never take life seriously
Old 10-02-2013, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Quote:

I hope the third is good! The 2nd has really grown on me. At first view I thought it was really cheesy, but now see it as a kind of classic survival horror. The slow recognition of the entity and then building a defense and trying to fight it that, of course, ends up failing. smile.gif That and Ray Wise doing his JAWS impression. What's not to like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

October 1st:

Frankensteins Army - 4 Zombies
I was excited to see this one and it really delivered. Well paced with some decent gore and awesome imagination. Fantastic entry into the Nazi zombie whatever. I may have to add this to my collection, highly recommended. 4 steampunk frankenzombies.

Excellent. Almost did this last night but am doing a zombie them for the week.

Quote:

What did she think of it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post

2. Aliens 1986, Special edition BD This movie is a mixture of Action/horror/sci-fi and imo one of James Cameron's best piece of film making! Also the special edition or longer edition was the directors intent and it actually adds a bit more to the story. This sequel leaves off where the first one ended and once the action starts there is no letting up! Besides the main characters in the film, the set pieces and Aliens are the main attraction with the Queen being one of the best practical marionette puppets seen in a film. This just adds to the tension and terror to what the humans are up against. I highly recommend adding this to any BD collection and this movie holds up well even today.

5 Zombies

Since looking at what the vets do I will also add FTV (first time viewing) and up to 5 stars/Zombies.

Top 5 horror flic for me of all time.

Quote:

2. Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust. Flat out awesome animated movie that Blade ripped off. Oozes style and stays in a post apocalyptic gothic world with the right amount pf blood and gore. It's also very well written and each character is welcome on screen. I'd love to see a live action version of this.

Moved to the top of my queue for next week.
Quote:

The Horde (2009)

Kind of reminded me of RAID redemption and even DREDD in the setup - or it it vice versa? tongue.gif

It is fun and violent. I liked the gungho chick.
Quote:

Sweet!

Agreed, the mood and setup was great. Lots to like about this.
Quote:

I liked it but wanted to love it.

+1
BornSlippyZ likes this.

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
Old 10-02-2013, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post

Watched my second movie today - DEAD SNOW - first watch.

Nazi zombies!! With some intelligence!! And can move fast at times!! In the snow!!!

First half of this movie I thought I had blew it by watching this, slow moving, dull, not well-made, etc.

HOWEVER, second half, particularly last third, GORE GORE GORE GORE and more GORE!!!

Some really neat gore scenes, if you are a gore-hound like me you should watch this movie. How can you not like a movie that has a scene with a girl hanging over a cliff with a zombie hanging on to her trying to bite her. Oh, did I mention that she was hanging by holding on to the intestines of a zombie who was up against a tree with a big knife in his eye?
Chainsaw, machine gun, rifle, knife, etc are used in this movie.

Not the best actual movie ever, but the gore is over the top!

I have a big problem with movies that are slow and dull in the first half, and that will hold my rating down to 3, but really for the gore in the second half it deserves a higher rating.

OCTOBER 2013 MOVIES WATCHED:
01) TORTURE ROOM - 2 brainwashed Zombies
02) DEAD SNOW - 3 semi-intelligent Nazi Zombies

Movies can kind of blur together after a while but that scene WAS AWESOME. biggrin.gif

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
Old 10-02-2013, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

I agree Dead Snow is a blast! Verges on the edge of "splat-stick" humor but retains a nice edge of nasty menace. In other words, perfect October viewing!
yankeeman and darthrsg like this.

Old 10-02-2013, 11:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post

I re-watch this movie at least once a year.
IMO, one of, if not THE best Action or Sci-fi or Horror or whatever you want to call it movie yet made.
A masterpiece in every way.
No movie has ever come close to giving me a heart attack like this one does.

Quote:

1 star. HATED IT

2 stars. Didn't like it.

3 stars. I liked it.

5 stars. I loved it.

In respect to this thread if I go 5 and you don't agree we can't be friends. smile.gif
I like the idea of a numbering "standard."
1 thru 5....got it, I'm in.smile.gif

Quote:
I've stayed through some real garbage just to say I've seen it.
Unfortunately, so have I.rolleyes.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

I hope the third is good! The 2nd has really grown on me. At first view I thought it was really cheesy, but now see it as a kind of classic survival horror. The slow recognition of the entity and then building a defense and trying to fight it that, of course, ends up failing. smile.gif That and Ray Wise doing his JAWS impression. What's not to like?
Glad you liked it.
Ray Wise can do no wrong.cool.gif