October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....) - Page 262 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 98Likes

post #7831 of 10562 Old 10-26-2013, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 164
26. Poltergeist
Poltergest took the musty old haunted house tale and turned it into a white upper-middle-class suburban effects-driven thrill ride, peppered with feel-good New Age occultism and yuppie angst. It's easy to see why Poltergeist was so successful and became a part of 1982 mainstream America's collective pop language ("They're here!) despite its obvious flaws. Historically the film has been overshadowed by the "was this Tobe Hooper's or Steven Spielberg's film?" debate, making it nearly impossible to watch the film without hypothesizing who created each segment, the assumption being that Spielberg directed the more docile and humorous elements, occasionally letting Hooper have his way when there was a need to go for the jugular. But none of that matters during the 114 minutes the film has you under its strange spell and we willingly check our disbeliefs at the front door. There's a certain roller-coaster giddiness about the film as we jump from scene to eye-popping scene, with lithe JoBeth Williams and hairy-yet-balding Craig T. Nelson often giggling about their odd predicament, and us along with them as we can't decide whether to be horrified or amused by the sight of a tree snatching a boy out of his bedroom and trying to eat him. By the time the dwarf woman with the big sunglasses starts drawling well-intentioned hogwash about "going to the light" and "The Beast", it doesn't matter because we've already given up resisting and are just enjoying the ride. 4 out of 5 stars.

Bob's October 2013 Horror Movie List
FTV denotes first time viewing
1. Some Guy Who Kills People (FTV)
2. Uzumaki (FTV)
3. The Pact (2011) (FTV)
4. Midnight Son (FTV)
5. Excision (FTV)
6. Absentia (FTV)
7. Sleep Tight (FTV)
8. Lunacy (FTV)
9. Frankenstein's Army (FTV)
10. The Woman in Black (FTV)
11. Color Me Blood Red (FTV)
12. Chained (FTV)
13. Frankenweenie
14. Mum and Dad (FTV)
15. Malevolence (FTV)
16. V/H/S/2 (FTV)
17. Juan of the Dead (FTV)
18. The Awakening (FTV)
19. Blood and Black Lace (FTV)
20. Naboer (Next Door) (FTV)
21. Carrie (2013) (FTV)
22. Eye of the Devil (FTV)
23. Splinter (FTV)
24. The Shining (1980)
25. Taxidermia (FTV)
26. Poltergeist
GoCaboNow likes this.

"I'LL SHOW YOU THE LIFE OF THE MIND!!!" - Barton Fink
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7832 of 10562 Old 10-26-2013, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 295
October 24rd:

Se7en - 5 what's in the box zombies
What an excellent film, Pitt and Freeman both at the top of their game and Spacey as well. I love how the city is nameless and always bad weather, it adds such a dark and claustrophobic feel to the film. The deaths are just as gruesome as the plot thrust and it really does leave you with a rotten feeling in your gut. That is the mark of a good film, when it "gets to you". 5 what's in the box zombies

October 25th:

House of 1000 Corpses - 4.5 bunny zombies
This is one of the films that has not only grown on me but also become one of my most favorite ones to watch each year. The atmosphere in this film is simply incredible! The movie really does play out in an Alice in Wonderland fashion as it keeps getting more grim and evil the further it plunges viewers into the evil rabbit hole. 4.5 bunny zombies

A Nightmare on Elm Street - 4.5 80's zombies
I have not seen this in years and got hooked on it on AMC as soon as HOATC ended. Really just a great film. It's easy to forget just how original and horrific this was as a film and as a concept that something in your dream could hurt you for real and there was not much you could do about it. Although the acting has its problems it certainly wasn't as bad as I expected or remembered it to be. The gore was really gratuitous even for todays standards but the use of blood and latex make all the difference. 4.5 80's zombies

So tonight is our big Conjuring night... we are super excited and I will be posting some pictures later tonight or tomorrow of the event as well as how effing scared everyone was... hehehe. Not sure if there are any other fans of The Creepshow (Rockabilly/Horrorbilly band) here but they have a new album that is pretty badass. I miss their prior front woman Sarah Blackwood who had an amazing voice but I have to say their replacement is pretty damn solid as well. Cool stuff if anyone is into that brand of music.... then again pretty much anything with a standup bass is effing cool cool.gif

BornSlippyZ likes this.

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

post #7833 of 10562 Old 10-26-2013, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 189

30 The Omen, Richard Donner, 1976EncoreHD, This is one of my favorite movies from this era of horror movies and it has an all star cast of Gregory Peck and director Richard Donner. This movie is about the anti-christ coming back to earth as an adoptive child named Damien. The child was adopted by a wealthy couple and things started to happen to people that came into contact with this child. The parents soon learn their kid is evil incarnate but realize too late to really do anything to stop the child from committing heinous acts done to those who stand in his way or plan. This movie has also some great set pieces that include a decapitation, in my mind one of the best shown in film. The soundtrack is filled with an ominous choir singing when things are about to happen, and finally the kid cast as Damien is the icing on the cake. Do not see the 2006 remake before seeing this classic!

5 Devil kid Zombies

File source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:DamienomenII.jpg

31 Damien: The Omen II, Don Tyler, Mike Hodges, 1978AMCHD. Now that Damien is all grown up and now living with his adoptive parents, brother, Damien is 'learning' about his true identity and he has people looking out for him and his plan to rise to power. This movie should've had Richard Donner at the helm instead of being an executive producer because this film had some promising aspects, but really fall short of the original movie. But if you are a fan of the first one, then this one might interest you. More of the same in this film, but it also stars Lance Henrickson, who watches out for Damien. Some cool effects like the first movie with also some minor twists that most people will not expect

3 Devil Kid Zombies

32, Poltergeist, Tobe Hooper, 1982BD. I have a long relationship with this movie and it has been my favorite since 1982. I have owned this movie in LD, VHS, DVD and now BD and I will say this current format is my favorite as far as Pq/Sq goes. Ok with Spielberg with writing duties this film is a winner. Most here have seen this movie a lot but for me it is a nostalgic look at how my life was in suburbia in Southern CA, just like the Freeling family in the film. This is what makes this movie creepy for me the most and now that I have a daughter, that I wouldn't know what to do if some 'force' took her away. This film has it all, kid is talking to the tv, things start happening in the house, the entity takes the child, the parents enlist help, then the house fights back. The story telling is by far one of the best examples in the horror genre and imo never gets old. Off camera some crazy ish has happened to some of the actors/actresses that is down right crazy. What is more crazy and messed up is that MGM iirc has green lit the 'remake' of this film. I constantly tell myself is "why would anyone want that, when you have the OG one right here?!"

5 Suburban dwelling Zombies

Now time to watch The Conjuring!
Bob McLaughlin likes this.

October HorrorFest Participant
post #7834 of 10562 Old 10-26-2013, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 353
My Conjuring night has taken a turn for the worse. Mother in law showed up an hour and a half ago to see the kids,not knowing they were not home and wife was away till Sunday,HINT,call first! When she left she some how managed to slam the car door on her hand.Sitting in ER waiting for her to be seen.WTF!!! :-(
post #7835 of 10562 Old 10-26-2013, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Waited all fu****g week for this movie. :-(
post #7836 of 10562 Old 10-26-2013, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

I need a drink!
post #7837 of 10562 Old 10-26-2013, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 697
post #7838 of 10562 Old 10-26-2013, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Damn son. You got some of my luck over there.
Still waiting.At least I can watch OSU&PENN ST.
post #7839 of 10562 Old 10-26-2013, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post

32, Poltergeist, Tobe Hooper, 1982BD. I have a long relationship with this movie and it has been my favorite since 1982. I have owned this movie in LD, VHS, DVD and now BD and I will say this current format is my favorite as far as Pq/Sq goes. Ok with Spielberg with writing duties this film is a winner. Most here have seen this movie a lot but for me it is a nostalgic look at how my life was in suburbia in Southern CA, just like the Freeling family in the film. This is what makes this movie creepy for me the most and now that I have a daughter, that I wouldn't know what to do if some 'force' took her away. This film has it all, kid is talking to the tv, things start happening in the house, the entity takes the child, the parents enlist help, then the house fights back. The story telling is by far one of the best examples in the horror genre and imo never gets old. Off camera some crazy ish has happened to some of the actors/actresses that is down right crazy. What is more crazy and messed up is that MGM iirc has green lit the 'remake' of this film. I constantly tell myself is "why would anyone want that, when you have the OG one right here?!"

5 Suburban dwelling Zombies

Awesome that we both watched Poltergeist at almost the same time! I'd forgotten how gonzo fun that movie is!
BornSlippyZ likes this.

"I'LL SHOW YOU THE LIFE OF THE MIND!!!" - Barton Fink
post #7840 of 10562 Old 10-26-2013, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

46. Carrie. Classic rated R afterschool special that tackles bullying among female adolescents. Among the terror is the exploited innocence of Carrie by her mother and her school mates. It's pretty much a classic even though the setting is very tame by today's standard. There are far larger horrors in school today than back then. I almost put this in the "alternate America" category given the shift in education and what's considered acceptable social behavior. 3 stars.

U-Lead Systems, Inc.

This movie has:

A great look into the education system which is a Hellraiser-esque puzzle box anyways.
Bush.
Super Mario...I mean PJ Soles.
An enlightening look at the girls side of high school, at least to a guy.
The yummy Nancy Allen.
And always will have relevancy because of bullying.
BornSlippyZ likes this.
post #7841 of 10562 Old 10-26-2013, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

I watched a fair amount of FearFest on AMC and decided to not count any of those. AMC = All the Melonfarming Commercials. Also noticed upon watching Whedon's Alien that he peaked at Firefly and the rest is pretty representative of how bad he is. Not Uwe Boll bad but I'm thankful JJ Abrams is here to give him a bar to reach. smile.gif
post #7842 of 10562 Old 10-26-2013, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew24963 View Post

My Conjuring night has taken a turn for the worse. Mother in law showed up an hour and a half ago to see the kids,not knowing they were not home and wife was away till Sunday,HINT,call first! When she left she some how managed to slam the car door on her hand.Sitting in ER waiting for her to be seen.WTF!!! :-(
Watch The Conjuring whenever you can, we promise not to spoil it for you.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #7843 of 10562 Old 10-26-2013, 10:10 PM
AVS Special Member

47. Frankenstein's Army. Found footage style movie about a squad of Russians that get drawn into a Nazi house of horrors. I was eager to see this based on reviews here and liked it quite a bit. Really good ideas on creature design but I felt they were under-used. To go much further would be entering spoiler country however, I do think most here should give it a watch as it does feel original and different. FTV 3 stars

This movie has:

Cool monsters.
A local mom and pop haunted house feel, which is a positive.
post #7844 of 10562 Old 10-26-2013, 10:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:

Talk about TRUE horror!eek.gif

Finished watching the movie I mentioned above called "Nothing Left To Fear" with Anne Heche.
I found this to be a fairly good one.
Competently told and filmed.

3 of 5 sacrificial zombies

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #7845 of 10562 Old 10-27-2013, 12:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Across America Halloween can't be denied:

post #7846 of 10562 Old 10-27-2013, 12:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Terrible Triple Feature of Terror

48. Night of the Blood Beast. Corman snooze fest. Felt like chores. FTV 1 star

49. Night Fright. More like Sleep Tight. Just nothing to speak of except some cute late 60's girls and a gorilla thing. FTV 1 star

50. She Beast. Warming up to this witchy campy movie. FTV 2 stars

These movies have:

Posters that lie their ass off about how scary or good these movies are.
post #7847 of 10562 Old 10-27-2013, 01:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:

47. Frankenstein's Army. Found footage style movie about a squad of Russians that get drawn into a Nazi house of horrors. I was eager to see this based on reviews here and liked it quite a bit. Really good ideas on creature design but I felt they were under-used. To go much further would be entering spoiler country however, I do think most here should give it a watch as it does feel original and different. FTV 3 stars

This movie has:

Cool monsters.
A local mom and pop haunted house feel, which is a positive.
Netflix have one to me on Monday, very curious to see.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #7848 of 10562 Old 10-27-2013, 04:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Update:After spending 4 1/2 hours inER,Mum broke 2 bones in her hand,couldn't let her drive home so she spent the night.Talked to wife this mornings and got yelled at for having her mother over.No win situation. :-( It's noon somewhere.I'm drinking!
BornSlippyZ likes this.
post #7849 of 10562 Old 10-27-2013, 05:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzack View Post

Millennials. rolleyes.gif

Is ‘Halloween’ Still Scary 35 Years Later?

We showed the film to 10 Millennials for the first time.

http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-talk/halloween-still-scary-35-years-later-172850535.html

The problem is the movie "Scream" (1996) explained the rules
Rules to successfully survive a horror movie:
- You will not survive the movie if you have sex.
- You will not survive the movie if you drink or do drugs.
- You will not survive the movie if you say "I'll be right back", "Hello?" or "Who's there?"

If you go into the movie Halloween (1978), and know exactly who is going to be stabbed to death and why, it becomes predictable.
Predictable is the antithesis of shock.
And shock really really helps horror.

This sort of thing is why the shooting of Kaylee in Firefly was such a shock. She didn't drink or do drugs, and at the time it wasn't suspected she'd ever had sex. On the other hand, she survived.

Note: Even 'The Terminator' says "I'll be back" and doesn't survive the movie.

An amateur built the Ark. Titanic was built by professionals. Of course Noah took a little advice.
post #7850 of 10562 Old 10-27-2013, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasementBob View Post

- You will not survive the movie if you say "I'll be right back", "Hello?" or "Who's there?"

If you go into the movie Halloween (1978), and know exactly who is going to be stabbed to death and why, it becomes predictable.
Predictable is the antithesis of shock.
And shock really really helps horror.

This sort of thing is why the shooting of Kaylee in Firefly was such a shock. She didn't drink or do drugs, and at the time it wasn't suspected she'd ever had sex. On the other hand, she survived.

Note: Even 'The Terminator' says "I'll be back" and doesn't survive the movie.

I would not even go that far. I'd go further and say "we" are used to used to seeing entire cities destroyed and that a guy with a knife going around stabbing people is normal and acceptable. Now if you let a grade school soccer team actually lose a game you'll see some fear.
post #7851 of 10562 Old 10-27-2013, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 189
Quote:

Waited all fu****g week for this movie. :-(

Ah man sorry to here but that happens in my house too! Thankfully my mother in law is clear across the country!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob McLaughlin View Post

Awesome that we both watched Poltergeist at almost the same time! I'd forgotten how gonzo fun that movie is!
Yeah after I heard about the green lighted remake of Poltergeist I had to pop this one in.
Quote:

I watched a fair amount of FearFest on AMC and decided to not count any of those. AMC = All the Melonfarming Commercials. Also noticed upon watching Whedon's Alien that he peaked at Firefly and the rest is pretty representative of how bad he is. Not Uwe Boll bad but I'm thankful JJ Abrams is here to give him a bar to reach. smile.gif

I know what you mean, the commercials do suck a bit but I usually dvr them so I can fast forward through them. It is funny after the Avengers, many kids forget that Joss wrote that stinker. Also lets not forget about Finchers foray for Alien Cube. Thankfully he recovered and makes some really great movies now. Did Fincher ever do another Sci-fi movie?

I will write up the Conjuring later but oh man what a ride! That movie gave my chills 3 separate times in the movie! What a well done film and the bass shook the house!

October HorrorFest Participant
post #7852 of 10562 Old 10-27-2013, 06:36 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 72
I finished watching V/H/S/2 and enjoyed it. Overall I thought it was better than the first and I hope they continue on with V/H/S/3.

larry
BornSlippyZ likes this.

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #7853 of 10562 Old 10-27-2013, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:

I feel for ya bud. Plus i certainly can relate. As everyone here knows, i have been spending half of every day driving an hour, seeing my brother-in-law int the hospital, then driving an hour home. No fun for me, my wife, and certainly no fun for my bro-in-law. Now they want to move him into a skilled nursing facility, and they suck down here, he is not gonna get the care he needs, this just gets worse and worse. i am dealing with a really bad loose painful tooth right now that i think i created myself by clenching so hard from stress. I hope things work out ok for your mom-in-law. Hang in there Steve, thats all we can do!!
stevew24963 likes this.

never take life seriously
post #7854 of 10562 Old 10-27-2013, 07:39 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 401
Quote:

Update:After spending 4 1/2 hours inER,Mum broke 2 bones in her hand,couldn't let her drive home so she spent the night.Talked to wife this mornings and got yelled at for having her mother over.No win situation. :-( It's noon somewhere.I'm drinking!

OMG man! You are living a horror movie right now! tongue.gif Sorry to hear all that happened. WTF is right! What a f#@*ed up weekend! I am going to rate your experience FIVE zombie infested mother in laws! biggrin.gif
stevew24963 likes this.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #7855 of 10562 Old 10-27-2013, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

OMG man! You are living a horror movie right now! tongue.gif Sorry to hear all that happened. WTF is right! What a f#@*ed up weekend! I am going to rate your experience FIVE zombie infested mother in laws! biggrin.gif
Thanks,that brought a smile,all is good,I started the bottle of red I got for the movie.
post #7856 of 10562 Old 10-27-2013, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post

I feel for ya bud. Plus i certainly can relate. As everyone here knows, i have been spending half of every day driving an hour, seeing my brother-in-law int the hospital, then driving an hour home. No fun for me, my wife, and certainly no fun for my bro-in-law. Now they want to move him into a skilled nursing facility, and they suck down here, he is not gonna get the care he needs, this just gets worse and worse. i am dealing with a really bad loose painful tooth right now that i think i created myself by clenching so hard from stress. I hope things work out ok for your mom-in-law. Hang in there Steve, thats all we can do!!
My case really not so bad,just a minor bump compared to yours.The quality of care really does suck down here though.These rehab centers and elderly facilities are just warehouses.
yankeeman likes this.
post #7857 of 10562 Old 10-27-2013, 08:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasementBob View Post

Might I add another one?
- Token minorities are the first to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

I hope they continue on with V/H/S/3.
As long as it matches the quality of #2, I'm in.wink.gif

post #7858 of 10562 Old 10-27-2013, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post

Kabuki zombies ?? Please explain confused.gif

Can't explain without giving away the plot. Let's just say it wasn't a Japanese film. wink.gif
darthrsg likes this.

"I am NOT suffering from insanity... I happen to be enjoying myself!"

post #7859 of 10562 Old 10-27-2013, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Busy work-related weekend but managed to fire up the HT and watch two that I felt comfortable with:

Interview With A Vampire (1994) - Weak on horror but an interesting story to follow. It chronicles almost 200 years in the lives of Lestat (Tom Cruise) and Louie (Brad Pitt.) It begins in 1791 Louisiana and takes us to the present day. Louie is what you a call a vampire who wears his heart on his sleeve and it takes him quite some time to graduate from rat and chicken blood to people because of his morality. He travels the world looking for information about "the one who made us" without any luck. In the end, we see someone who is tired of immortality. Also stars Antonio Banderas, Christian Slater, and Kirsten Dunst. The film varies somewhat from the book but not that it corrupts the film. (2.75 out of 5 Cajun zombies)

Aliens (1986) - My favorite of the "Alien" franchise. As much as "Alien" broke the mold for sci-fi horror, "Aliens" put it into warp drive. Wher "Alien" was a slow build, "Aliens" ramped up the action without losing its focus. Ripley is back on Earth, working a menial job after being stripped of her certification. "The Company" contacts her in need of help. Seems a colony was sent to LV-428 to terraform. Surprise! Contact has been lost. Ripley agrees to go back as an advisor with a group of heavily armed Marines. You've seen the movie...you know the rest. This is one sci-fi movie I have never grown tired of over the years. No matter how much you know the plot inside and out, it keeps you on pins and needles. Sigouney Weaver breaks the mold as to how a woman reacts to terror. She meets it head on and kicks its ass. (4.5 out of 5 Semper Fi zombies)

"I am NOT suffering from insanity... I happen to be enjoying myself!"

post #7860 of 10562 Old 10-27-2013, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:

Man, talk about a shyte night... what a total effing drag!

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page