October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....) - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1662Likes

post #811 of 12236 Old 10-09-2010, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by film113 View Post

An unexpected choice for my viewing came via cable (Cinemax) llast night. FRIGHT NIGHT II premiered both in HD and, surprisingly, in OAR! This may be the first time that this movie has ever been presented widescreen since the the theatrical release. Cinemax crops all widescreen movies (including the original FRIGHT NIGHT) so seeing this as it was intended was an unexpected treat.

No way! And in HD. You lucked out. Maybe we'll finally get a proper dvd or blu-ray release now?

Hey guys I need a suggestion for tonight. Guests are coming and they want something scary. I was going to show Session 9 but it sounds like that could be hit or miss (I enjoyed it). If Session 9 wasn't your bag what's a movie that's scary or scared you? It can't be The Exorcist or The Descent. Bonus points for something in scope ratio too!

The above post is 100% medically accurate

31 Days of Horror: 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009 2008
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 12236 Old 10-09-2010, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked: 982
wizzack, you might try Lake Mungo has that creepy dateline thing going for it. 100 Feet was pretty good too, probably a better crowd pleaser.
post #813 of 12236 Old 10-09-2010, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yesterday's flick:

Mulberry Street

I was pleasantly surprised by this one. Nice level of suspense and good cinematography for an indy. It's 28 Days Later with rat people.

7/10

For all you true home theater guys: there's a portion of this movie where there's a very deep heart-beat that must be heard to be appreciated - shook my whole house. I am certain that no regular TV speakers could reproduce it.
post #814 of 12236 Old 10-09-2010, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Wizzack, show your guests INSIDE.

If they want something more conservative and ghost-like, The Ring. Or Poltergeist.

Or even though its commercial, Scream is good.

Or 28 Days Later. Or 30 Days of Night.

never take life seriously
post #815 of 12236 Old 10-09-2010, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

20. From a Whisper to a Scream, 1987. AKA The Offspring for some reason, a very good anthology of stories in the vein of Creepshow, told by Vincent Price, with a very traditional way to them. Not a lot of gore but it doesn't need it. 3/5
post #816 of 12236 Old 10-09-2010, 07:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Here is a suggestion, Frailty. It leans heavy on the drama side but it has Demons and axe killings. I saw it long time back and was impressed.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0264616/

Frailty is a very good movie. I have it in my collection. Highly recommended.
post #817 of 12236 Old 10-09-2010, 07:41 PM
Advanced Member

I'm on a roll now and am almost caught up. I watched Night of the Living Dead last night and took in the crapfest that is Graveyard Shift on AMC this afternoon. My sig had been updated with all recent reviews.

In other news, my new copy of Teeth has arrived and I returned 2 online rentals at BB this evening for The Collector and An American Werewolf in London. So I have 3 good choices for the weekend. If my wife is up for it, we'll take in a double-feature tonight. I'm thinking Teeth and The Collector and we'll save AAWL for tomorrow night.

For those that haven't seen The Collector, it is actually a pretty entertaining movie. Check it out if you get a chance.
post #818 of 12236 Old 10-09-2010, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 298
10. The Shining
What can I possibly say about The Shining that hasn't already been said before? How much do I like The Shining? Let's put it this way: this is the only movie that I have owned in VHS, DVD, remastered DVD, and finally Blu Ray. Worth every penny to quadruple-dip. Simply brilliant filmmaking!

2010 Horror Movie Marathon List
FTV denotes first-time viewings
1. Severance (FTV)
2. Happy Birthday To Me (FTV)
3. The Howling
4. Dark Night of the Scarecrow (FTV)
5. Frankenstein (1931)
6. The Flesh and Blood Show (FTV)
7. Three...Extremes (FTV)
8. Lifeforce (FTV)
9. 30 Days of Night (FTV)
10. The Shining

"I'LL SHOW YOU THE LIFE OF THE MIND!!!" - Barton Fink
post #819 of 12236 Old 10-10-2010, 01:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob McLaughlin View Post

10. The Shining
What can I possibly say about The Shining that hasn't already been said before? How much do I like The Shining? Let's put it this way: this is the only movie that I have owned in VHS, DVD, remastered DVD, and finally Blu Ray. Worth every penny to quadruple-dip. Simply brilliant.

Best of the best. No question about it.
post #820 of 12236 Old 10-10-2010, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

wizzack, you might try Lake Mungo has that creepy dateline thing going for it. 100 Feet was pretty good too, probably a better crowd pleaser.

Thanks darth, I didn't see this one in BB yesterday and I thought they carried the After Dark discs. Just saw it's on Netflix streaming will check it out by myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post

Wizzack, show your guests INSIDE.

Yankeeman you are one twisted dude (in a good way). I'm thinking there's no way I can show them that. It wasn't even on my radar! Needless to say I gave the warning one last time before I hit play and let them know "this is a movie you'll never forget." Muhahahaa! The best part is my sister-in-law is talking about getting artificially inseminated in January......so this could be considered (in Yankee talk) a "Horror Home Run". Inside was a success!

10/9 (PM)

Inside (À l'intérieur) (2007) DVD

Inside is one the most violent, bloody and brutal horror movies I've ever seen. This crazy film never loses its impact no matter how many times I watch it. A home invasion on your last day of pregnancy? Talk about a bad night. And that's just the beginning! "La femme" is right up there on my favorite horror villains list. She's [Rick James voice]"cold blooded!" Oh and the 5.1 sound mix is a kicker. Inside leads the pack in the recent French horror invasion. A-

Re-Animator (1985) DVD

Nothing new to say here. Jeffrey Combs gives an outstanding performance as the insanely demented scientist Herbert West. Who wouldn't want to play God? Glowy green glowstick juice brings the dead back to life!

50% Frankenstein
50% Zombie movie
100% PURE INSANITY!

Re-Animator is a blast and contains one of the best 3rd acts in horror. It gets better every time I see it! A-

post #821 of 12236 Old 10-10-2010, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Wizzack - glad Inside worked out for ya, thats really a special movie. A horror home run, i love it. One of the best!!!!

I watched another Masters of Horror one this morning, THE SCREWFLY SOLUTION. Different, very different. Normal male sexual urges became transformed into violent rage. Eventually all men started killing all women, violently too. A little graphic and provocative, but not exceptionally gory.

Almost more of a thriller than a horror movie, its interesting to watch, even though i feel the ending was weak.

My list so far is, with ratings on a 1-10 scale (with a couple of ratings updated):
1 - Grotesque - 9+
2 - MOH Haeckels Tale - 5
3 - MOH Jenifer - 7
4 - MOH Pick Me Up - 4
5 - Murder-Set-Pieces - 7+
6 - MOH Dance Of The Dead - 4
7 - MOH The Screwfly Solution - 5

post #822 of 12236 Old 10-10-2010, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Nice choices folks! I agree and disagree with both yankeeman and Bob

I loved 30 Days of Night, does not top Interview With a Vampire but a close second. The vamps did have a cheese factor with the screeching but the foreign language saved it and kept it creepy.

I also loved Session 9 and while I obviously like gorefest movies I am personally more creeped out by psychological horror/thrillers so movies like Session 9 or even Triangle create an ominous atmosphere and keep my wheels turning days after I've watched it which just sticks with me more than gore.

I didn't watching anything Friday night because we got home too late but last night was the classic:
11. The Exorcist (1973) - Rating 5/5 - Amazing to me how well this holds up after almost 40 years. Truly creepy, shocking, and all around classic horror. First time viewing for 2 guests we had over... one left the room half way through. Great stuff!

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

post #823 of 12236 Old 10-10-2010, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm taking a few days off from the fest, instead of opening doors I wanna bust them open with an axe. 20 movies in 9 days....
post #824 of 12236 Old 10-10-2010, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Scratch that, Creature 1984 is on Instant. What am I doing to myself...mwahahaha!
post #825 of 12236 Old 10-10-2010, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

For Saturday night, I went back a bit:

The Crazies (1973)

I had just watched the remake from last year a couple weeks ago and thought it was excellent. I'm a fan of Romero's zombie flicks and hoped this one would be as good. Sadly, it was not. It was merely OKAY. Don't have much negative to say about it, but also don't have much positive to say either. It did get better as it went along, but even then it's not much fun to watch. The ending was terrible IMHO.

Rating: 5/10
post #826 of 12236 Old 10-10-2010, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

BMaugans, I wanted to like it too but all I liked was the swipe at the man/govt attitude. The remake is quite good compared to the original.
post #827 of 12236 Old 10-10-2010, 10:11 PM
AVS Special Member

21. Creature, 1985. This one was on the "do not let your kids watch it" list way back in the day at the local mom and pop video rental place. 2/5
22. The Deaths of Ian Stone, 2007. Not great but not terrible, decent story and good effects. 3/5
post #828 of 12236 Old 10-11-2010, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm taking a few days off from the fest, instead of opening doors I wanna bust them open with an axe. 20 movies in 9 days....

I read this and chuckled and said "He'll be back..." then I read your next post!

post #829 of 12236 Old 10-11-2010, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

11. The Human Centipede: First Sequence (first-time viewing)
This movie gained a lot of notoriety when it was released. Let's face it, the movie was designed to be talked about: an evil doctor joins three humans together to share one digestive tract in a linear fashion (that's the nicest way I could put it). The best part about this movie is Dieter Laser's performance: just looking at the evil doctor gives you the willies. The rest plays out fairly straightforwardly, without much depth or reason to make it more compelling. I kept waiting for that moment where the movie changed and became something else that took it to the next level, but it never got there. Still, if you're a fan of torture horror then you're going to have to see this one just to say you did.

2010 Horror Movie Marathon List
FTV denotes first-time viewings
1. Severance (FTV)
2. Happy Birthday To Me (FTV)
3. The Howling
4. Dark Night of the Scarecrow (FTV)
5. Frankenstein (1931)
6. The Flesh and Blood Show (FTV)
7. Three...Extremes (FTV)
8. Lifeforce (FTV)
9. 30 Days of Night (FTV)
10. The Shining
11. The Human Centipede: First Sequence (FTV)

post #830 of 12236 Old 10-11-2010, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMaugans View Post

For Saturday night, I went back a bit:

The Crazies (1973)

I liked The Crazies but I think my expectations were pretty low. A good B flick.

post #831 of 12236 Old 10-11-2010, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Monday morning, another Masters of Horror dvd watched. This was one of the best ones, RIGHT TO DIE. A horribly burned victum who dies and can do things to the living while dead, then the hospital revives her and she cant do anything but lie there, and the cycle starts again. Good special effects, some good horror, overall as I said one of the more enjoyable Masters of Horror series, but overall i had remembered them as being better.

I think the rest of this month i will switch over to regular movies and not watch my other MOH dvds during the October-thon.

My list so far is, with ratings on a 1-10 scale:
1 - Grotesque - 9+
2 - MOH Haeckels Tale - 5
3 - MOH Jenifer - 7
4 - MOH Pick Me Up - 4
5 - Murder-Set-Pieces - 7+
6 - MOH Dance Of The Dead - 4
7 - MOH The Screwfly Solution - 5
8 - MOH Right To Die - 7

Bob, i see it was your first time wathcing The Human Centipede. Most people have the same reaction, that is, looking for a little more out of it. However, i find that the overall concept is so far out, and the constant noises of misery the girls make thru the whole movie really makes this a good one for me. And yes, the evil doctor is great.

post #832 of 12236 Old 10-11-2010, 08:30 AM
Advanced Member

Last night:

10. An American Werewolf in London (1981)- {3.5/5} DVD (First-time viewing) You know, I had always thought that I saw this movie when I was a teenager but it appears that I was wrong. For 1981, this movie had good effects and well-done werewolf transformations (although we joked that David looked alot like Chaka during one of the scenes). There was also a good amount of humor mixed into the script, which we liked. The nightmare sequences were pretty cool at times and the soundtrack was good as well. Even though I can't really pinpoint any particular thing that I really disliked, I felt the movie was only slightly above-average; hence the 3.5 rating. I'm glad I finally took the initiative to rent it though.
post #833 of 12236 Old 10-11-2010, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

ApolloCreed, watch the Howling series. You'll be saying AWIL is the best ever. IMHO, the transformation is still king.

While we are on werewolves, The Wolfman, with Benicio Del Toro, Anthony Hopkins was pretty good flick except for the CGI wolf. Why couldn't they just do a suit? The rest is textbook gothic style.
post #834 of 12236 Old 10-11-2010, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah AWIL always gets better on repeat viewings IMO. There isn't anything scary about it really just a lot of fun, love the soundtrack too!
post #835 of 12236 Old 10-11-2010, 01:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

ApolloCreed, watch the Howling series. You'll be saying AWIL is the best ever. IMHO, the transformation is still king.

While we are on werewolves, The Wolfman, with Benicio Del Toro, Anthony Hopkins was pretty good flick except for the CGI wolf. Why couldn't they just do a suit? The rest is textbook gothic style.

I have only seen the first Howling. When I was a kid, I thought it was the scariest movie in the world. A few years back, I caught most of it when it was on AMC (or some similar channel) and although it certainly didn't hold up as well as I remembered; it was still pretty good. The bottom line is that I think we are highly influenced by movies that we thoroughly enjoyed when we were kids. In subsequent viewings, even though they may not be as good as we once thought, that is all overshadowed by the nostalgia for that first experience with it.

I have the Blu-Ray for The Wolfman because we mistakingly bought it before renting it first. I plan to watch it again for Horrofest and hopefully it is better this time around. As it stands now, it is only maybe a 3.75/5 at best. It certainly wasn't a bad film, but we expected it to be sooooooo much better.
post #836 of 12236 Old 10-11-2010, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Wrapped up the weekend with...

10/10

The Blob (1988) DVD

Congratulations to Kevin Dillon on winning the “worst hair ever in a horror movie” award. The Blob is a gooey good time from beginning to end. I forgot Shawnee Smith was in this too. She must have been lying in a ditch somewhere between 1988 and 2004 (Saw). Like The Thing, The Blob is one of the rare instances where the remake owns the original. The fast pace, fun story and gross kills (including an all time great involving a sink) make The Blob a very entertaining small town horror movie. The rich pink/purple/blue visuals are a nice touch too. I'll coin it: “Bubblegum Argento”. B

Having Columbus Day off is so sweet...

10/11

So Sweet, So Dead (1972) DVD

Pretty good giallo where the killer is slicing up cheating wives one by one and leaving photos of them in the act. All of the murders are pretty much the same with little variation. Beautiful wife cheats, gets naked, then cut up. Rinse, repeat. The uncut footage (mostly sex) that was spliced in wasn't needed and didn't add anything to the movie. Wait did I just write that?! So Sweet, So Dead is decent genre pic and definitely worth checking out – just not at $35! C+

post #837 of 12236 Old 10-11-2010, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I watched Zombieland for my first time, and I didn't think it was hot $hit as everyone else around me thinks. I liked it, but honestly, it seemed more like a high production TV show movie (lots of dialogue and character interaction) with little zombie action. I was more expecting a shoot em' up zombie balls-to-the wall apocalyptic action movie, and Zombieland is NOT that.
post #838 of 12236 Old 10-11-2010, 02:39 PM

This is my first year trying this out, but here are some thoughts on what I've watched thus far:

10/1 - The Lost Boys 3.5/5 - Outfits are extremely 80s, but the two Corey's (Feldman & Haim) are greatness in this.
10/2 - The Shining 5/5 - Perfect film (watch The Simpsons Treehouse of Horror V for additional fun)
10/3 - Orphan 4.5/5 - Much better than expected. My wife hates me for making her watch this, and had nightmares about our son that night.
10/4 - Nightmare on Elm Street 3/5 - Fun to see Johnny Depp. Ending was atrocious...
10/5 - Alien 4.5/5 - Holds up very well
10/6 - Aliens 5/5 - One of my favorite movies of all time. Not necessarily horror, but fun to watch after Alien.
10/7 - Evil Dead 3.5/5 - Makeup and effects will make you say "wow" given the budget.
10/8 - Daybreakers 3.5/5 - Good movie, that kept me entertained throughout. Fairly linear story does not lend itself to repeat viewings.
10/9 - Shaun of the Dead 4/5 - Lots of fun and humor.
post #839 of 12236 Old 10-11-2010, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morimoto View Post

10/4 - Nightmare on Elm Street 3/5 - Fun to see Johnny Depp. Ending was atrocious...

I occasionally see people bag on the ending of ANOES. Let me try to remedy this by asking you, why do you think it's a bad ending?
post #840 of 12236 Old 10-11-2010, 03:00 PM

Carnival of Souls - 1962

No gore or cheap scares in this one. But it's a solid, errie, quite kind of horror. It really made the most of its low production budget, managed to turn relative simple makeup, music, and photography into something very creepy. It's scarier than, let's say, the new Nightmare On Elm Street.
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page