October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....) - Page 280 - AVS Forum
First ... 278  279  280 281  282  ... Last
Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion > October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....)
smudge981's Avatar smudge981 03:01 PM 11-23-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob McLaughlin View Post

Not really horror but since we've talked about alien invasions and "Dark Skies" I thought I'd share this. My daughters and I just finished eating at a Taco Bell and we came outside and saw these weird lights in a V-formation flying through the sky. I pulled out my new phone and started filming. They were quiet and kind of creepy. The girls were convinced they were UFO's but I'm pretty sure they just were candle balloons. I don't believe in alien spacecraft visits but I can see why under the right circumstances someone could get scared by this stuff. What do you think?

Couldn't tell if you were checking out the UFOs or looking for your keys in the parking lot. biggrin.gif Seriously though, I'll have to split my opinion and say they're alien candle balloons.

Brian Conrad's Avatar Brian Conrad 03:16 PM 11-23-2013
Weird, a little after 2 PM PST and YouTube poops out after 3 seconds on a 360p stream! Wouldn't play clicking "Play on YouTube" either. Football must be clogging up U-Verse. biggrin.gif

I watched "The Conjuring" last night and thought it was pretty good. I'll give it 4 apparitions.
stevew24963's Avatar stevew24963 04:12 PM 11-23-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob McLaughlin View Post

Not really horror but since we've talked about alien invasions and "Dark Skies" I thought I'd share this. My daughters and I just finished eating at a Taco Bell and we came outside and saw these weird lights in a V-formation flying through the sky. I pulled out my new phone and started filming. They were quiet and kind of creepy. The girls were convinced they were UFO's but I'm pretty sure they just were candle balloons. I don't believe in alien spacecraft visits but I can see why under the right circumstances someone could get scared by this stuff. What do you think?
The truth is out there.
darthrsg's Avatar darthrsg 07:22 PM 11-23-2013
Cool video.
tenthplanet's Avatar tenthplanet 02:37 AM 11-24-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post

UFOs!

I agree they are probably candle gallons, but cool none the less!
Indeed. Not quite weird enough to be UFO's. Clever how they got the ballons into a flying formation. Great video quality. smile.gif
oink's Avatar oink 03:43 AM 11-24-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by smudge981 View Post

Couldn't tell if you were checking out the UFOs or looking for your keys in the parking lot. biggrin.gif Seriously though, I'll have to split my opinion and say they're alien candle balloons.
Always play "the middle."
That's where all the smart money is.....tongue.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

I watched "The Conjuring" last night and thought it was pretty good. I'll give it 4 apparitions.
My copy from NF arrives Monday.wink.gif
Brian Conrad's Avatar Brian Conrad 01:59 PM 11-24-2013
For my late night viewing pleasure I watched the cult hit "Pieces" which I'm sure you are all familiar with. It is available uncut but P&S on Hulu. I can see why it is such a cheesy cult hit with such gaffs as plastic bags in 1942.
Bob McLaughlin's Avatar Bob McLaughlin 02:30 PM 11-24-2013
Quote:

For my late night viewing pleasure I watched the cult hit "Pieces" which I'm sure you are all familiar with. It is available uncut but P&S on Hulu. I can see why it is such a cheesy cult hit with such gaffs as plastic bags in 1942.
The best part is when the lady freaks out and screams "BASTARD!"
Bob McLaughlin's Avatar Bob McLaughlin 02:33 PM 11-24-2013

GoCaboNow's Avatar GoCaboNow 10:10 AM 11-25-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by smudge981 View Post

LEAVE JOHN CARTER ALONE!!! biggrin.gif

Ha! smile.gif

I had/read all the ERB books as a kid and enjoyed this series. But that was a long time ago and even then this was a very old book with some curious themes by today's standards. wink.gifWarning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Wasn't Dejah Thoris nude in the book? tongue.gif
I enjoyed the movie but didn't love it. With a big name director, and that much budget, it is going to get bashed when it loses so much money - and that is all my point was. Disney wanted this, among other movies, to be a franchise and HEAVILY invested in it and still couldn't put out a winning product.

People rip on Disney for poorly marketing this, but imo a scifi/horror/fantasy genre movie with zero built in movie going demo, needs a lower budget. Even the Twilight, Hunger Games and early Potter movies had MUCH LESS budget that this.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Always play "the middle."
That's where all the smart money is.....tongue.gif
My copy from NF arrives Monday.wink.gif

As does mine. cool.gif

Did The Purge over the weekend. Not great, but a little better than expected. I liked the religious fervor angle of the first group of attackers and of course the other group was funny as well. wink.gif
A few "huh?" moments weakened the movie, and with a few other changes this could have been a pretty cool flic. If it's me, I am building a safe room in the basement with a long, straight corridor, that tapers to the door. Folks aren't going to be able to get to the door, let alone open, it because I am picking them off through shooter holes in the door. biggrin.gif
oink's Avatar oink 11:03 AM 11-25-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

People rip on Disney for poorly marketing this, but imo a scifi/horror/fantasy genre movie with zero built in movie going demo, needs a lower budget. Even the Twilight, Hunger Games and early Potter movies had MUCH LESS budget that this.
To reiterate my thoughts on this, people should get fired for greenlighting this (actually, I think some did).
This movie was a non-starter to begin with and never should have been proposed.rolleyes.gif

Quote:
I am building a safe room in the basement with a long, straight corridor, that tapers to the door. Folks aren't going to be able to get to the door, let alone open, it because I am picking them off through shooter holes in the door. biggrin.gif
I'm putting the bill in the mail today for the work my crew did building the hidden crocodile pit in the floor.
Sorry, if it's a little above my original estimate....you didn't supply me with meat to feed the boys during construction.
GoCaboNow's Avatar GoCaboNow 04:01 PM 11-25-2013
Quote:

To reiterate my thoughts on this, people should get fired for greenlighting this (actually, I think some did).
This movie was a non-starter to begin with and never should have been proposed.rolleyes.gif
I'm putting the bill in the mail today for the work my crew did building the hidden crocodile pit in the floor.
Sorry, if it's a little above my original estimate....you didn't supply me with meat to feed the boys during construction.

Yeah, too bad the first thing his replacement did was greenlight The Lone Ranger. biggrin.gif Fortunately, I think Disney can take it...

I know you are joking about the bill for the pit. That is ditch digging work which I am perfectly qualified for. cool.gif
oink's Avatar oink 04:52 PM 11-25-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

Yeah, too bad the first thing his replacement did was greenlight The Lone Ranger. biggrin.gif Fortunately, I think Disney can take it...
LOL, I didn't know that.

Quote:
I know you are joking about the bill for the pit. That is ditch digging work which I am perfectly qualified for. cool.gif
OK, fine.....if that's how you want to play it.
But you owe for the reptiles, dude.tongue.gif
Morpheo's Avatar Morpheo 05:20 PM 11-25-2013
Quote:

When it came out I had next to zero interest in it. Then for some reason I blind bought it on Blu-ray (go figure! biggrin.gif)… After watching I thought the bad press, backlash and everything was so unfair it wasn't even funny. John Carter is a good film, and like Josh with Dune, I will continue to defend it no matter what. wink.gif
oink's Avatar oink 05:45 PM 11-25-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

When it came out I had next to zero interest in it. Then for some reason I blind bought it on Blu-ray (go figure! biggrin.gif)… After watching I thought the bad press, backlash and everything was so unfair it wasn't even funny. John Carter is a good film, and like Josh with Dune, I will continue to defend it no matter what. wink.gif
My point really is this movie HAD to bomb in the marketplace, and for the same reasons TLR did.wink.gif
ApolloCreed's Avatar ApolloCreed 10:46 PM 11-25-2013
Been away from the site for awhile as things have been fairly busy the last few weeks but I got the chance to catch up on all the posts tonight and realized that I never made my final post after Horrorfest ended. Even though I went on a short vacation the day after Halloween and spent a lot of time recently dealing with my projector that recently fried from a power surge, I’m still not sure how the hell it slipped my mind. Anyway, better late than never…..
Horrorfest 2013

1. Leatherface- The Texas Chainsaw Massacre III (1990)- {2.5/5} IFC (First-time viewing) Decided to kick off the challenge early with this IFC offering that I originally thought was the ridiculous (but entertaining) TCM installment featuring Dennis Hopper. Turns out that was Pt. 2 and this one is the "real" sequel as it seems to fit in with the original much better. The cast includes a young Viggo Mortensen and the Rob Zombie favorite Ken Foree. Overall, it was semi-enjoyable with a few good scares and some creepy moments. The story was mighty thin though and Leatherface's pimped out chainsaw was horribly cheesy. Whatever though......just happy that Horrorfest has begun!!

2. Otis (2008)- {4/5} Blu-ray Talk about a fun movie folks! It easily fits in the top tier of the horror/comedy genre along with Shaun of the Dead, Cabin in the Woods, Zombieland, etc. Normally these kinds of movies aren't really my bag (explaining the conservative 4 star rating), but this one is well done on nearly every level. Every character is unique and extremely well done and the story itself is simply awesome. We especially loved Kevin Pollack as the abusive older brother and Jere Burns as the cocky, bumbling FBI agent. This is my second time with this flick and it was even better this time around. For those who haven't seen it, do yourself a favor and add this to your list.

3. The Lords of Salem (2012)- {4.25/5} Blu-ray (First-time viewing) Like others have stated, this movie is oozing with style and originality. It's obvious that RZ has continued to master his craft since the raw, but amazingly well done HOTC. We loved nearly everything about this movie. The 70's look, the mood, the atmosphere, the pacing, the story, the score......top notch. Although her range is still pretty limited, we thought that Sheri Moon did a good job; while the rest of the cast was nearly perfect. The only issue that we had was the ending. It was a little bit of a letdown as we thought maybe a little more detail would have been better. Either way, this was a great watch and it'll fit in perfectly with the rest of my RZ movie collection. In fact, we've already talked about watching it again after the challenge is over. cool.gif

4. I Saw the Devil (2010)- {4.5/5} Blu-ray This is a repeat from last year so that my wife could have a crack at it this time. Rating and comments stand from last year. It begins with a bang and simply does not let up until the credits are rolling. Outstanding PQ, awesome brutality and spot-on performances by the cast. In fact, at one point my wife angrily interjected about Min-sik Choi's character (Kyung-chul) "I hate him. He's so effing evil. I hate every single thing about him!!" That speaks for itself about how effective he was in playing the psychotic,serial killing bad guy. An overall spectacular movie folks!

5. The Roost (2005)- {2/5} DVD (First-time viewing) Well, Wizz I should've listened to you about this being non-anamorphic. It was nearly unwatchable on my 106" screen. The concept is nothing new: 4 friends break down in the middle of nowhere on their way to a wedding. They walk to a farm to get some help but the homeowners aren't there...or are they? Mayhem ensues involving killer bats and zombies, but it's a controlled mayhem. Ti West tries to use the slow cook method, but it simply made me bored. I mean, how do you slow cook an 80 min movie? I considered oinking the s@#t out of this, but fought through it as its not in my nature to give up on movies. In the end, there were a few good scares and the song during the credits was pretty sweet, but the idea that the movie was "hosted" on a late night creeper feature show mostly fell flat and the movie as a whole was just not very enjoyable. Since The House of the Devil is so awesome and this was his first movie out of film school; I think I'll give TW a pass on this one though.

6. Dead Silence (2007)- {3.25/5} HBO (First-time viewing) This one is a James Wan flick about a man (Jason from True Blood) who returns to his home town to investigate the history of a ventriloquist doll that may or may not have been involved in the death of his wife. The story sounds pretty foolish and I've avoided this movie since it came out because of that (was never a fan of the Chucky series). Well, HBO had it on recently, so I thought WTH....When it was all said and done though, I actually enjoyed this one. I bought into the concept early on and settled in for some good fun. There are some sweet kills and sound effects not to mention the dolls were pretty damn creepy as well. Overall, a fairly cool movie that I would not hesitate to recommend if you're hurting for options.

7. Murder Set Pieces (2004)- {1.5/5} DVD (First-time viewing) Movies marketed as being "shocking, horrifying, controversial" will catch my eye if I'm browsing around, looking for something to watch. So, I figure... why not give it a shot. There are spots in my list for the good and the bad........I mean, that's the nature of trying to find 31 horror flicks to watch every October. Unfortunately, this one was such a sh*tfest from the jump that I considered putting in something else and not even counting it. I'm ashamed to say that I did hang with it though, in hopes of some sort of payoff. That was a mistake. A lot of blood and nudity can't make up for atrocious acting, poor dialog and some of the worst editing I've ever seen.

8. Session 9 (2001)- {4.25/5} DVD (First-time viewing) This movie is about an asbestos cleanup crew who take a bid at an abandoned insane asylum. As the days go by, the members of the crew start to become affected by unseen forces that reside within the asylum and it eventually turns into unfortunate circumstances for all involved. Overall, I really liked this movie. It was definitely done with the intent of making you think to try to make sense of all that is happening. I’ll admit to having to rewind on a few occasions to make sure that I understood what exactly had occurred. The chemistry between the characters was very good and the acting, in general was right on the money. I loved the pacing and the subtle little hints and secrets that are revealed as you go. If you like psychological horror, you definitely have to give this one a go. It actually reminded me a little of The Shining. The last line in the movie was killer.

9. Frankenstein's Army (2013)- {3.75/5) Blu-ray (First-time viewing) I don’t have an issue with movies that start slow to build anticipation (in fact, I enjoy them), but for some reason, this one had me feeling a little impatient to see the badass “creations” that everyone has been talking about. Don’t get me wrong, the storyline is pretty solid and I have no complaints, but man…I really wanted to just jump to the nitty gritty. Anyway, once we get there and these monstrosities are revealed, we were not disappointed. These things looked like they came straight out of a video game, very imaginative. I’ve never really seen a movie like this before. The creatures get more bizarre as the movie goes on, but I couldn’t believe how inept they were at killing people. I mean, they had some crazy tools of destruction at their disposal that looked as if they could do some serious damage but I suppose they just weren’t that proficient with them given the nature of how they were created. Either way, this one was a fun ride and we especially loved the insanely powerful LFE that constantly bombarded you throughout the entire movie.

10. Population 436 (2006)- {3/5} DVD (First-time viewing) This one is about a census bureau employee who is sent to a place called Rockwell Falls. But there's something very strange about Rockwell Falls....its population has been 436 over the course of a few generations. For a direct to dvd flick, this one's pretty good. It stars Jeremy Sisto and Fred Durst and features some twists and turns that spin a cool, but fairly predictable story. I read somewhere that this movie was similar to a Twilight Zone episode and I think that it is probably the best way to describe it. Not really worthy of a repeat viewing, but its a good option for a rental if you're hurting for options.

11. The Purge (2013)- {2.5/5} Blu-ray (First-time viewing) The overall idea is solid, I think we can all agree on that. There were also some really good kills and tense moments that when judged independently, should be a good foundation for a first class horror movie. Well, this one falls well short of that due to poor execution and silly writing. There were a number of directorial decisions that were downright ridiculous (WTF moments, if you will) and we found ourselves loudly expressing our displeasure on a number of occasions. Now, I don't want to give the impression that this movie was a complete flop as it does have it's moments. It's just that it could have been so much better and because of that, we were fairly disappointed.

12. Dark Skies (2013)- {4/5} Blu-ray This was a pleasant surprise when we watched it back in June so it was a no-brainer for a repeat viewing in October. This movie features good performances and an interesting story that is well-paced and effectively creepy. It almost makes the same mistake that Insidious did with the addition of the paranormal "expert" character in J.K. Simmons, but thankfully, it only serves as a minor distraction. An all-around good film, folks. Recommended.

13. Exorcismus (2010)- {2.75/5} IFC (First-time viewing) This movie doesn't necessarily bring a completely different perspective to the exorcism genre but it does offer its own twist that had some good potential. Its about a teenage girl who begins having seizures but no one (including the doctors) can figure out why. Her behavior becomes increasingly more sinister and it is eventually determined that they will enlist the help of her uncle who happens to be a priest with exorcism experience. I will say that this movie overall was a mixed bag. I enjoyed the performance by Sophie Vavasseur as the main character because she did a very good job with what appeared to be a demanding role. Aside from her though, the rest of the acting seemed a little flat to me, especially by the couple who played her parents. I also had some issues with the use of "flashbacks" to tell the story. Although there is nothing wrong with that technique if used in moderation, it just seemed to be implemented a little too much. As the story went on, I found myself questioning the writing as it basically didn't seem to be going anywhere. But when it was all said and done, it does end up tying up the loose ends fairly well. Not a ton of scary moments, but an okay movie that certainly does have some redeeming qualities.

14. The Lost Boys (1987)- {4/5} Blu-ray Pure 80’s fun ladies and gentlemen. I originally bought the blu-ray for 2008’s marathon and definitely enjoyed the experience, cheese and all. This time around though, I had more fun with it for some reason. It’s got so many classic 80’s elements to it; you simply can’t resist catapulting yourself back in time. The way the movie is shot and the atmosphere that it creates were the highlights for me with the never-ending fog and great set pieces. This one is in the top tier of all-time vampire movies and with my newfound respect for it, I’m bumping up my previous 3.5 rating to a 4. The last line is classic.

15. Sublime (2007)- {3.75/5} DVD If I had to describe this movie in one word, it would be bizarre. Without spoiling it for those who may not have seen it, this one is about a man who celebrates his 40th birthday with family and friends on the day before he is scheduled to have a colonoscopy. The foundation is laid when the people that he interacts with keep strangely talking about the horror stories that occur with botched surgeries and people who perform surgical exorcisms. Not really appropriate to be talking about when a guy is about to go under the knife, but it happens nonetheless. Well, things start getting bizarre once he arrives at the hospital and it dives into a strange series of events that are reminiscent of maybe a Twilight Zone episode. From that point, it moves along very methodically with various creepy and mysterious scenes until you are finally shown enough hints to figure out what exactly is going on. Not a traditional horror movie but more of a psychological thriller with horrifying elements to it. In the end, this was a very powerful movie that will most definitely have you thinking about it well after the credits roll. A complete mindbinder.

16. The Last House on the Left (2009)- {4.25/5} Blu-ray This is a revisit from Horrorfest 2010. My thoughts and rating from that review still stand. Some really fantastic performances all around and a fairly satisfying revenge story that “almost” makes up for the horrible brutality inflicted on the innocent victims. The camerawork does a good job of adding realism to the story and the part that gets me every time is the fact that the female criminal actually helps to facilitate the rape. So wrong on every imaginable level. Overall, it’s a tough movie to watch but I feel that it’s extremely well done in every area except for maybe the very end. Still seems misplaced to me.

17. Midnight Son (2011)- {3/5} DVD (First-time viewing) This is an indie film about a man who struggles to learn how to live (and love) as a vampire in modern day society. There are no references to how he became a vampire and it appears that he is not even aware of it until well into the movie. The co-plot deals with his newfound relationship with a woman who happens to be a cocaine addict and the issues they face trying to make their relationship work given their personal issues. The movie seems to have been given really good reviews from the masses and it’s not that I disagree that it’s a good movie, but it just wasn’t my bag. It goes out of its way to be different from the usual vampire fare and I give it credit for that; however, it would have been more appealing if there was a little more “spice” tossed in here and there. In the end, it was cool to see something different when it comes to vampire films and it really was well done overall, but for my personal tastes it gets a 3/5.

18. World War Z (2013)- {3.5/5} Blu-ray (First-time viewing) Regardless of the ridiculous moments in this movie, its a pretty sweet thrill ride. A good mix of horror and action that was a fun HT experience that's for sure. The wtf moments came fairly often though as the writing certainly could've used an overhaul. Taking the good with the bad, this was still a fun film to watch. You just have to make sure to check your entire central nervous system in at the door.

19. The Blair Witch Project (1999)- {4.5/5} Blu-ray A repeat from 2010's Horrorfest. This is still one of the scariest movies I own. Even after multiple viewings. The one that birthed found footage is still the king IMO. Loved it.

20. Paranormal Activity (2007)- {4.25/5} Blu-ray Another repeat from a couple years back. One of our guests had strangely seen all the other installments in the series except for this one, so we ended our triple feature with it. As creepy as they come folks. The tension and anticipation of something bad happening make this so much damn fun to watch.

21. Halloween (2007)- {4.25/5} Blu-ray Our guests requested a Rob Zombie double feature so since my buddy's girlfriend hadn't seen it; we started with this one. Nothing new to report as I've been very fond of this remake since its release. I think I'm just gonna officially make this a yearly Oct watch.

22. V/H/S (2012)- {3.75/5} Blu-ray This is a repeat from last year in anticipation of the sequel that we’ll be watching later this week. After a second viewing, I almost changed my previous rating from 3.75 to 3.5 because the wraparound story was weaker and more annoying than I remember, but I decided against it because I actually enjoyed a couple of the stories a little more than last time. Still a little inconsistent overall, but I suppose that’s what you’re gonna get when there are multiple directorial visions in one movie. Looking forward to V/H/S 2 after the mostly positive reviews.

23. The Pumpkin Karver (2006)- {.5/5} SyFy (First-time viewing) The best way to convey my thoughts about this movie is to adopt the review method used by a few other members. No need for a brief synopsis as it would be a waste of time.

This movie features:
-horrible writing
-worse acting
-downright atrocious editing
-no scary moments
-the most detestable characters in the history of cinema
-a few hot chicks that are apparently attracted to these detestable characters

24. Halloween III (1982)- {1.75/5} AMC My initial impression when viewing the first half of the movie on the previous night, was that it was an extremely corny effort to incorporate “technology” into the horror genre while at the same time horribly watering down the Halloween franchise altogether. Although I still stand by those thoughts for the most part, I feel like this film was actually slightly entertaining when it was all said and done. Judged on its own merits without taking into consideration the fact that it has absolutely nothing to do with the first two Halloween offerings, it was an original idea that had a few noteworthy moments and a solid performance by Dan O’Herlihy as the evil mastermind behind all the mayhem. I also felt that it played out more like a sci-fi flick but I suppose there were enough “scares” and kills to qualify it as horror. In the end, this was still a very cheestastic movie but I have to admit that I ended up not hating it nearly as much as anticipated. The ending was actually pretty good despite the ridiculous setup to it.

25. V/H/S 2 (2013)- {4/5} Amazon VOD (First-time viewing) Compared to the first one, I would say that this one was slightly better overall and certainly had the finest installment of the entire collection in Safe Haven. Man, that was an awesome watch!!! I would also say that Pt. 2 was a little more imaginative than the original. The first person cam in A Ride in the Park is a good example of that. Phase 1 Clinical Trials was definitely the weakest of the sub-stories (although still fairly good) while the wraparound story of Tape 49 was only so-so. Alien Abduction was most definitely our second favorite with its crazy intensity and realistic presentation. This will be permanently added to our collection once the blu-ray goes on sale and we’re definitely looking forward to the next one. Highly recommended.

26. The Conjuring (2013)- {4.25/5} Blu-ray (First-time viewing) Conjuring night was originally slated as a double date but those plans fell through once my wife realized that her schedule had changed and she had to work Friday night. Well, since she already saw it in the theater with her cousin, the show must go on….and it did. I had a couple of work friends over for it instead and overall; we all thought it was a very good movie. The pacing and buildup were extremely well done and all the performances were solid. In fact, I thought that everything was spot on except for maybe the intensity of the scares. Now, I’m not exactly sure why, but I felt that it didn’t quite live up to the hype in that regard. Don’t get me wrong, I was still very uncomfortable on a few occasions but it just seemed that many of the creepy parts were a little…..I don’t know…..predictable?? Definitely still enjoyed it though and it’s on the short list for a second watch. Great home theater presentation as well.

27. Evil Dead (2013)- {4.25/5} Blu-ray The second time around with this produced a much more enjoyable experience. Maybe it was the fact that it was in my own theater room rather than the local Cineplex. Well, first and foremost, this has got to be the finest A/V presentation in a horror movie to date. Simply stunning PQ accompanied by an incredible surround mix made this an absolute pleasure to watch. I mean, even the title menu on the blu-ray was awesome!! Every single sound effect was enhanced and every shot was made to be as vile and bloody as possible. Crazy fun!! With that said, the story itself is a little shaky and Jane Levy’s performance pre-possession was really flat. It wasn’t until the sh#t hits the fan that she takes hold of the reins and runs with it. Presentation gets a 5 while the writing/acting/execution gets a 3.5. Final rating is the average of the two.

28. Maniac (2012)- {4.5/5} Blu-ray (First-time viewing) Maniac starts off with a bang and continues to bombard you with amazingly gruesome images and awesome brutality through the ending credits. Seeing Elijah Wood in this kind of role was a little weird at first, but he does an excellent job (even if a lot of it is in narrative form due to much of the movie being shot in the first person). The violent scenes are incredibly realistic and even though it’s a horror flick, the entire movie has a very artistic feel to it. I should also show some respect to the women that are featured in this movie. Very good performances all around and mighty fine to look at as well. The background behind Wood’s maniacal behaviors is certainly nothing new to the genre, but it didn’t prevent me from enjoying this movie in the least. This was a blind buy and I couldn’t be more pleased. Along with Dark Skies, this one is tops for sleeper of the year. Very highly recommended.

29. No One Lives (2012)- {3.25/5} Blu-ray (First-time viewing) This was another blind buy for this year’s Horrorfest and overall, it was mostly an enjoyable flick. The tale centers on a mysterious couple who have a run in at a diner with a group of rough and tough criminals. They eventually end up being taken “hostage” by these guys and the story quickly takes a few turns that ends up flipping the script a little on the perpetrators. It kinda reminded me of a horror version of Rambo. The storyline was definitely fun and unique but it could have been executed a little better and there were a few things that were pretty damn outrageous. There was certainly no shortage of blood and gore though. They went all out in that regard which was cool to watch. The acting was hit and miss as some characters did a good job while others seemed to either struggle with acting altogether or were just forcing it too much (Lee Tergeson, I’m talking to you). In the end, this was still a good addition to this year’s list and I would recommend giving it a whirl if you haven’t seen it yet.

30. Sinister (2013)- {4.25/5} Blu-ray Overall, this movie was very well done. This is my second time seeing this and I enjoyed it just as much this time around. This movie has awesome imagery and some truly scary sequences. A nice blend of horror and suspense with good performances from the cast made this movie a perfect lead in to the household favorites that we reserved for the final days of Horrorfest. Highly recommended.

31. The House of the Devil (2009)- {4.75/5} Blu-ray Nothing new to report here. This will continue to be a part of Horrorfest for years to come. I love the slow burn and how the scene is set for the awesome final sequence. It simply doesn’t get much better folks!! A perfect homage to late 70s-early 80s horror.

32. Trick 'r Treat (2007)- {4/5} Blu-ray Halloween night and a double feature kicked off by a flick that seems to get better year after year. This is an absolute must-see in October as far as I’m concerned and since the blu-ray can be found for less than $10 on the net; there is no excuse for a horror fan not to have it in their library. Perfect mood and atmosphere and just plain fun. I see there are reports that Pt. 2 is underway. Exciting news people!!

33. House of 1000 Corpses (2003)- {4.75/5} Blu-ray It’s no surprise to the regulars in this thread that this is my favorite horror movie. After numerous viewings I’m still noticing subtle touches that make me appreciate it more and more. And it absolutely bears mentioning that the 16:9 HD presentation looks more glorious on my screen than almost any other film. Bottom line……I can’t think of a better way to round out a month of horror than HOTC and a number of fine cocktails. wink.gif

Best Movie (First-time viewing) 1. Maniac 2. The Conjuring
Worst Movie (First-time viewing) The Pumpkin Karver
Biggest Surprise 1. Session 9 2. Dark Skies
Biggest Disappointment The Purge
Best Gore Evil Dead
Best Cinematography The Lords of Salem
Scariest 1. The Blair Witch Project 2. Sinister
Best Sound EFX 1. Evil Dead 2. World War Z
Best Overall 1. HOTC 2. THOTD
Number of first-time viewings 17

Oh and a bunch of crappy pics from my modest effort at decorating the house.........

Good times people. My local Blockbuster closed recently which means that I'm forced to go back to Netflix mad.gif. The good news is that I got a bunch of cheap horror movies at their closeout sale.................Already planning for next year. wink.gif
oink's Avatar oink 11:12 PM 11-25-2013
^VERY nice, sir.cool.gif
BornSlippyZ's Avatar BornSlippyZ 06:35 AM 11-26-2013
Sweet looking pics Apollo!
GoCaboNow's Avatar GoCaboNow 11:09 AM 11-26-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloCreed View Post

Been away from the site for awhile as things have been fairly busy the last few weeks but I got the chance to catch up on all the posts tonight and realized that I never made my final post after Horrorfest ended. Even though I went on a short vacation the day after Halloween and spent a lot of time recently dealing with my projector that recently fried from a power surge, I’m still not sure how the hell it slipped my mind. Anyway, better late than never…..
Horrorfest 2013

Good times people. My local Blockbuster closed recently which means that I'm forced to go back to Netflix mad.gif. The good news is that I got a bunch of cheap horror movies at their closeout sale.................Already planning for next year. wink.gif

Excellent write-up and pics! The snow really makes them creepy. smile.gif

What did you do about the PJ?
Bob McLaughlin's Avatar Bob McLaughlin 11:34 AM 11-26-2013
Great to hear from you again Apollo! Loved the reviews and there's something special about Halloween decorations in snow!
ApolloCreed's Avatar ApolloCreed 12:34 PM 11-26-2013
Thanks fellas. For the first time in history, I actually got lucky with a warranty on a product. Usually, things sh#t the bed just after the warranty expires but this time; I had 2 weeks left on my 2 yr warranty through Epson. They shipped out a refurbished one and so far so good. I just wish that I could’ve somehow gotten into the picture menu of my original one so that I could have jotted down all of my settings. No worries though.

Yeah, those pics of my props in the snow were taken in mid-October. As much as I hated seeing snow that early in the year, it did look pretty cool with the yard decorations. You can’t see them in the pics, but I also made some homemade can lights out of a few 50 ft. strings of Christmas lights that were used to illuminate all the individual props. Unfortunately, all my night pics were unusable so you can’t really see the finished product. I also made a chiller for my fog machine using the Tidy Cat litter method and although the weather was uncooperative; I was still able to produce a creepy fog-covered environment from time to time on the warmer, non-windy days. It was sooooo much fun decorating the yard for the first time (beyond a handful of jack-o-lanterns) that I’m already looking for deals on props and other Halloween related items on the net in preparation for next year. wink.gif
General Kenobi's Avatar General Kenobi 12:16 AM 11-27-2013
Damn Apollo that looks cold!!!! I've been away as well, the job hunt has been, eh, challenging but am pressing on. Haven't watched any horror since October but got out to see Thor 2 which I really enjoyed. Also found this little gem for the holidays, I must have it!

yankeeman's Avatar yankeeman 05:09 AM 11-27-2013
Apollo, good to hear from you again, great looking decorations bud!!

Kenobi, love love love that sweater, i want one!! Where did you find it?
darthrsg's Avatar darthrsg 06:51 AM 11-27-2013
FYI, Directv has free days of nearly all the premiums until the 1st.

http://www.freepreview.tv/hbo/directv-free-preview-of-hbo-cinemax-and-starz.html
BornSlippyZ's Avatar BornSlippyZ 07:34 AM 11-27-2013
Now that is a sweater for the horror lover!
stevew24963's Avatar stevew24963 08:03 AM 11-27-2013
+1 on the sweater,be nice in t-shirts,not much need for a sweater down here.
ApolloCreed's Avatar ApolloCreed 08:10 AM 11-27-2013
+1 cool.gif
oink's Avatar oink 10:20 AM 11-27-2013
Tried to watch The Conjoburing a couple of nights ago.
Sorry, but I wasn't impressed.

Another of those "based on true events" that are predicated on the words of people looking to make $$$.

What we have is Amityville Redux.
Oh wait, some of the same people surround both of these "true events."rolleyes.gif
From Wikipedia:
The Conjuring is a 2013 American supernatural horror film directed by James Wan. Vera Farmiga and Patrick Wilson star as Ed and Lorraine Warren who were American paranormal investigators and authors associated with prominent cases of haunting. Their reports inspired the Amityville Horror.
darthrsg's Avatar darthrsg 10:23 AM 11-27-2013
Quote:

Tried to watch The Conjoburing a couple of nights ago.
Sorry, but I wasn't impressed.

Another of those "based on true events" that are predicated on the words of people looking to make $$$.

What we have is Amityville Redux.
Oh wait, some of the same people surround both of these "true events."rolleyes.gif
From Wikipedia:
The Conjuring is a 2013 American supernatural horror film directed by James Wan. Vera Farmiga and Patrick Wilson star as Ed and Lorraine Warren who were American paranormal investigators and authors associated with prominent cases of haunting. Their reports inspired the Amityville Horror.

You didn't know that going in?

I hope Wan does another Warren adventure...from the case files....
oink's Avatar oink 10:44 AM 11-27-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

You didn't know that going in?
Nope.

No doubt Wan is a talented guy.
However, I don't have to give my $$$ to fuel future fraudsters, and neither should anyone else for that matter.wink.gif
First ... 278  279  280 281  282  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop