October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....) - Page 292 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 291Likes

post #8731 of 10968 Old 12-26-2013, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 739
Real Stories of Horror:

6am. Awakened by the dogs with the alert bark and growl. Perimeter sweep concludes with the discovery of the FurReal Monkey pulling itself along the floor with one arm and giggling with its cold uncanny valley eyes. Props to my dogs for spotting the Terminator.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Steam: Guts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8732 of 10968 Old 12-26-2013, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Real Stories of Horror:

6am. Awakened by the dogs with the alert bark and growl. Perimeter sweep concludes with the discovery of the FurReal Monkey pulling itself along the floor with one arm and giggling with its cold uncanny valley eyes. Props to my dogs for spotting the Terminator.

Good dog!

Seems a bit early to bring in the New Year, but my daughter had a lot more free time so we finished off the Overly Sensitive Zombie Girl New Year's Eve special a bit early! Have a very ZOMBIE 2014, guys!
darthrsg, wizzack and stevew24963 like this.

"I'LL SHOW YOU THE LIFE OF THE MIND!!!" - Barton Fink
post #8733 of 10968 Old 12-26-2013, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Nice. And nice ode to a clockwork orange.

Well, well, well. If it isn't lit'l Alex. Well, well, well...biggrin.gif
Bob McLaughlin and darthrsg like this.

post #8734 of 10968 Old 12-26-2013, 11:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Insidious 2. Not good. I liked the first one just fine but this stunk. Some cool ideas but the "dead/dream" world is better with Freddy Kruger.

post #8735 of 10968 Old 12-27-2013, 07:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Flat out lazy and disjointed effort. Everyone I went with was disappointed. Although I had some gripes with the original as well, it was significantly better in every way.

post #8736 of 10968 Old 12-27-2013, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Quote:

Insidious 2. Not good. I liked the first one just fine but this stunk. Some cool ideas but the "dead/dream" world is better with Freddy Kruger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloCreed View Post

Flat out lazy and disjointed effort. Everyone I went with was disappointed. Although I had some gripes with the original as well, it was significantly better in every way.

Bummer! I rent it yesterday but still have to watch it… Glad I didn't choose a blind buy...
post #8737 of 10968 Old 12-27-2013, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:

Quote:

I didn't even like the first one so I'm not going to bother with this. Not much else on the horizon until Jan I believe frown.gif

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

post #8738 of 10968 Old 12-27-2013, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

On a positive note, I saw Rare Exports for the first time a few days ago. Good times.
darthrsg likes this.

post #8739 of 10968 Old 12-27-2013, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Checked out We Are What We Are on VUDU. Mickle's slow burner delivers where the original missed the mark for me. Rare case of U.S. remake is better than foreign original! I don't think I've seen that much "new" stuff in 2013 but I'd rank it #3 behind The Conjuring & Evil Dead. Worth a peek.
General Kenobi likes this.

The above post is 100% medically accurate

31 Days of Horror:

post #8740 of 10968 Old 12-27-2013, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzack View Post

Checked out We Are What We Are on VUDU. Mickle's slow burner delivers where the original missed the mark for me. Rare case of U.S. remake is better than foreign original! I don't think I've seen that much "new" stuff in 2013 but I'd rank it #3 behind The Conjuring & Evil Dead. Worth a peek.

I was curious about that.

post #8741 of 10968 Old 12-27-2013, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:

I was curious about that.

I think you'd dig it. If the mood strikes for a slow & steady cannibal ritual movie with great acting you won't find a better one from 2013. cool.gif

The above post is 100% medically accurate

31 Days of Horror:

post #8742 of 10968 Old 12-27-2013, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think you'd dig it. If the mood strikes for a slow & steady cannibal ritual movie with great acting you won't find a better one from 2013. cool.gif

Speaking of ritual, I learned recently all the spells and rituals in The Craft were "real." Legit witches were hired to oversee the spells and stuff. Only some names were changed to prevent butthurt amongst warlocks.

post #8743 of 10968 Old 12-27-2013, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 118
I watched "Insidious 2" last night and though a bit uneven it was definitely better than some of the z-movies folks watch here. Perhaps too much Hollywood bean counter intervention?biggrin.gif
post #8744 of 10968 Old 12-27-2013, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

I watched "Insidious 2" last night and though a bit uneven it was definitely better than some of the z-movies folks watch here. Perhaps too much Hollywood bean counter intervention?biggrin.gif

Good z movies are pretty much dead and it wouldn't take much to outclass them. WWZ was just OK but it isn't really comparable to this ghost movie. I was really surprised Wan dropped the ball on this. He has good track record and it could very well be bean counter related.

post #8745 of 10968 Old 12-27-2013, 12:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Quote:

(putting in queue)

Quote:

On a positive note, I saw Rare Exports for the first time a few days ago. Good times.
RE is a fine little movie and one that is hard to forget.smile.gif

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #8746 of 10968 Old 12-27-2013, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Good z movies are pretty much dead and it wouldn't take much to outclass them. WWZ was just OK but it isn't really comparable to this ghost movie. I was really surprised Wan dropped the ball on this. He has good track record and it could very well be bean counter related.
Before the zombie movie craze "z-movie" meant movies that weren't even good enough to be "B movies". IOW, not necessarily movies about zombies. Some of these kind of films can be rather entertaining. wink.gif
post #8747 of 10968 Old 12-27-2013, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Before the zombie movie craze "z-movie" meant movies that weren't even good enough to be "B movies". IOW, not necessarily movies about zombies. Some of these kind of films can be rather entertaining. wink.gif

In this thread I equate z with zombie. As always quality is subjective.

post #8748 of 10968 Old 12-28-2013, 12:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Quote:

In this thread I equate z with zombie. As always quality is subjective.
Hmmm, we need to better differentiate the 2....allow me, please:

B movies = < good, low budget movies
Z movies = zombie flicks

post #8749 of 10968 Old 12-28-2013, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've said it before, and will say it again. Horror movies really benefit from a writer/director combo - as is the case in RE. RE is not the 2nd coming but it is tight, cohesive and the TONE is consistent and makes it easier to actually believe what is happening on screen. IMO, horror movies especially, need this kind of cohesion between writer and director to put out a believable product at the budgets they need to have. It also helps that the project stems from the idea or script that the writer has developed/cares abut and then TAKES the directors job.
Quote:

Quote:

Adding "slow & steady cannibal ritual movie" to my horror movie genres. biggrin.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Hmmm, we need to better differentiate the 2....allow me, please:

B movies = < good, low budget movies
Z movies = zombie flicks

That would be cool if "B movies" equated to good, low budget movies.

Granted, would be cool if "blockbuster" meant good, high budget movie. tongue.gif

The last three nights I have done Smurfs 2, PLANES, and Despicable Me 2. Trying to find time to fit in FTV's The Hills run red and Queen of the damned this weekend but Harry Potter 1-8 is also sitting under the tree...redface.gif

post #8750 of 10968 Old 12-28-2013, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

I've said it before, and will say it again. Horror movies really benefit from a writer/director combo - as is the case in RE. RE is not the 2nd coming but it is tight, cohesive and the TONE is consistent and makes it easier to actually believe what is happening on screen. IMO, horror movies especially, need this kind of cohesion between writer and director to put out a believable product at the budgets they need to have. It also helps that the project stems from the idea or script that the writer has developed/cares abut and then TAKES the directors job.

Adding "slow & steady cannibal ritual movie" to my horror movie genres. biggrin.gif

Granted, would be cool if "blockbuster" meant good, high budget movie. tongue.gif

The last three nights I have done Smurfs 2, PLANES, and Despicable Me 2. Trying to find time to fit in FTV's The Hills run red and Queen of the damned this weekend but Harry Potter 1-8 is also sitting under the tree...redface.gif
The Hills Run Red was actually kinda fun, bad but still enjoyable.

My niece is visiting from San Louis Obispo so we may have to let her see The Conjuring since she has yet to see it. I also have 2 guns sitting here from nf but all in all it is a pretty slow time for content at present. I'll be adding We are What We Are to my queue, like wiz I was underwhelmed with the Spanish version but thought the trailer for the remake looked promising. I've also heard Prisoners, while not horror, is pretty dark for a suspenseful thriller.

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

post #8751 of 10968 Old 12-28-2013, 11:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I'm not sure if this is usually the case with horror, but I won't argue your point.wink.gif

Quote:
+2

Cannibalism taps into a dark place in the human psyche.
Our species, as well as our hominid ancestors, did engage in cannibalism on a fairly regular basis....especially when things got tough.

Quote:
I think you might have missed the "less than" mathematical symbol.tongue.gif

Quote:
Harry Potter 1-8 is also sitting under the tree...redface.gif
The wife and I have tentatively set up a BD marathon for this spring....should be fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

I've also heard Prisoners, while not horror, is pretty dark for a suspenseful thriller.
I've been thinking about this one too....

post #8752 of 10968 Old 12-28-2013, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Despite it's low rating on IMDB probably precipitated by the current trend in unresolved endings I liked "Alien Uprising" on NF with Sean Brosnan and Bianca Bree who drug her dad into the movie though Sean didn't his dad. Why did I like it? It seemed to do a fairly good joke of emulating how people might actually react if they woke up to find a big alien mothership over their town and what chaos it might bring. And it's not an Asylum film.

Historically the term "B Movie" meant the second feature at a drive-in or theater. They were low budget but often still done by pros. The term "Z Movie" has been around before the recent zombie movie rage just to classify the more amateur efforts that aren't even B quality.
post #8753 of 10968 Old 12-28-2013, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:

The kids love Despicable Me 2, I got to watch The Lone Ranger, Percy Jackson Sea Monsters and Fast 6. I was pretty entertained by all the movies and the PQ/AQ in The lone Ranger was pretty damn good! It reminds me how I miss watching westerns and need to buy more of them. I almost rented Insidious 2 but passed on it and I am going to search for a horror movie on Amazon streaming tonight.

October HorrorFest Participant
post #8754 of 10968 Old 12-28-2013, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

I think you might have missed the "less than" mathematical symbol.tongue.gif

Ah, the perils of surfing AVS on my daughters 14" notebook. smile.gif

post #8755 of 10968 Old 12-28-2013, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Prisoners should be well liked here.

post #8756 of 10968 Old 12-28-2013, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Prisoners should be well liked here.

I think I am going to buy that one!

post #8757 of 10968 Old 12-28-2013, 03:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Despite it's low rating on IMDB probably precipitated by the current trend in unresolved endings I liked "Alien Uprising" on NF with Sean Brosnan and Bianca Bree who drug her dad into the movie though Sean didn't his dad. Why did I like it? It seemed to do a fairly good joke of emulating how people might actually react if they woke up to find a big alien mothership over their town and what chaos it might bring. And it's not an Asylum film.
(putting in queue).....

Quote:
The term "Z Movie" has been around before the recent zombie movie rage just to classify the more amateur efforts that aren't even B quality.
FWIW, I think D or F would be more descriptive.

post #8758 of 10968 Old 12-28-2013, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Ah yeah I recorded Christine last night so I do have a decent horror movie to watch!

post #8759 of 10968 Old 12-29-2013, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

The Hills Run Red was actually kinda fun, bad but still enjoyable.

My niece is visiting from San Louis Obispo so we may have to let her see The Conjuring since she has yet to see it. I also have 2 guns sitting here from nf but all in all it is a pretty slow time for content at present. I'll be adding We are What We Are to my queue, like wiz I was underwhelmed with the Spanish version but thought the trailer for the remake looked promising. I've also heard Prisoners, while not horror, is pretty dark for a suspenseful thriller.

The Hills Run Red was a nice little surprise a few years back for Horrorfest. Much better than expected.

Watched 2 Guns last night. Enjoyable (especially the chemistry between Wahlberg and Washington....oh and the sweet Paula Patton) but definitely only worthy of a rental. They tried to cram too much into the story which watered down the entire thing IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post

Ah yeah I recorded Christine last night so I do have a decent horror movie to watch!

Yep. Christine is still a solid watch. Easily among the better Stephen King adaptions.

post #8760 of 10968 Old 12-29-2013, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Anyone see You're Next?

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page