October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....) - Page 292 - AVS Forum
First ... 290  291  292 293  294  ... Last
Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion > October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....)
darthrsg's Avatar darthrsg 10:27 AM 12-26-2013
Real Stories of Horror:

6am. Awakened by the dogs with the alert bark and growl. Perimeter sweep concludes with the discovery of the FurReal Monkey pulling itself along the floor with one arm and giggling with its cold uncanny valley eyes. Props to my dogs for spotting the Terminator.

Bob McLaughlin's Avatar Bob McLaughlin 07:51 PM 12-26-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Real Stories of Horror:

6am. Awakened by the dogs with the alert bark and growl. Perimeter sweep concludes with the discovery of the FurReal Monkey pulling itself along the floor with one arm and giggling with its cold uncanny valley eyes. Props to my dogs for spotting the Terminator.

Good dog!

Seems a bit early to bring in the New Year, but my daughter had a lot more free time so we finished off the Overly Sensitive Zombie Girl New Year's Eve special a bit early! Have a very ZOMBIE 2014, guys!

GoCaboNow's Avatar GoCaboNow 08:12 PM 12-26-2013
Nice. And nice ode to a clockwork orange.

Well, well, well. If it isn't lit'l Alex. Well, well, well...biggrin.gif
darthrsg's Avatar darthrsg 12:15 AM 12-27-2013
Insidious 2. Not good. I liked the first one just fine but this stunk. Some cool ideas but the "dead/dream" world is better with Freddy Kruger.
ApolloCreed's Avatar ApolloCreed 08:05 AM 12-27-2013
Flat out lazy and disjointed effort. Everyone I went with was disappointed. Although I had some gripes with the original as well, it was significantly better in every way.
Morpheo's Avatar Morpheo 08:25 AM 12-27-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Insidious 2. Not good. I liked the first one just fine but this stunk. Some cool ideas but the "dead/dream" world is better with Freddy Kruger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloCreed View Post

Flat out lazy and disjointed effort. Everyone I went with was disappointed. Although I had some gripes with the original as well, it was significantly better in every way.

Bummer! I rent it yesterday but still have to watch it… Glad I didn't choose a blind buy...
General Kenobi's Avatar General Kenobi 09:51 AM 12-27-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Insidious 2. Not good. I liked the first one just fine but this stunk. Some cool ideas but the "dead/dream" world is better with Freddy Kruger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloCreed View Post

Flat out lazy and disjointed effort. Everyone I went with was disappointed. Although I had some gripes with the original as well, it was significantly better in every way.
I didn't even like the first one so I'm not going to bother with this. Not much else on the horizon until Jan I believe frown.gif
ApolloCreed's Avatar ApolloCreed 09:58 AM 12-27-2013
On a positive note, I saw Rare Exports for the first time a few days ago. Good times.
wizzack's Avatar wizzack 10:19 AM 12-27-2013
Checked out We Are What We Are on VUDU. Mickle's slow burner delivers where the original missed the mark for me. Rare case of U.S. remake is better than foreign original! I don't think I've seen that much "new" stuff in 2013 but I'd rank it #3 behind The Conjuring & Evil Dead. Worth a peek.
darthrsg's Avatar darthrsg 10:54 AM 12-27-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzack View Post

Checked out We Are What We Are on VUDU. Mickle's slow burner delivers where the original missed the mark for me. Rare case of U.S. remake is better than foreign original! I don't think I've seen that much "new" stuff in 2013 but I'd rank it #3 behind The Conjuring & Evil Dead. Worth a peek.

I was curious about that.
wizzack's Avatar wizzack 11:40 AM 12-27-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

I was curious about that.

I think you'd dig it. If the mood strikes for a slow & steady cannibal ritual movie with great acting you won't find a better one from 2013. cool.gif
darthrsg's Avatar darthrsg 11:48 AM 12-27-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzack View Post

I think you'd dig it. If the mood strikes for a slow & steady cannibal ritual movie with great acting you won't find a better one from 2013. cool.gif

Speaking of ritual, I learned recently all the spells and rituals in The Craft were "real." Legit witches were hired to oversee the spells and stuff. Only some names were changed to prevent butthurt amongst warlocks.
Brian Conrad's Avatar Brian Conrad 12:54 PM 12-27-2013
I watched "Insidious 2" last night and though a bit uneven it was definitely better than some of the z-movies folks watch here. Perhaps too much Hollywood bean counter intervention?biggrin.gif
darthrsg's Avatar darthrsg 01:07 PM 12-27-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

I watched "Insidious 2" last night and though a bit uneven it was definitely better than some of the z-movies folks watch here. Perhaps too much Hollywood bean counter intervention?biggrin.gif

Good z movies are pretty much dead and it wouldn't take much to outclass them. WWZ was just OK but it isn't really comparable to this ghost movie. I was really surprised Wan dropped the ball on this. He has good track record and it could very well be bean counter related.
oink's Avatar oink 01:44 PM 12-27-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzack View Post

Checked out We Are What We Are on VUDU. Mickle's slow burner delivers where the original missed the mark for me. Rare case of U.S. remake is better than foreign original! I don't think I've seen that much "new" stuff in 2013 but I'd rank it #3 behind The Conjuring & Evil Dead. Worth a peek.
(putting in queue)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloCreed View Post

On a positive note, I saw Rare Exports for the first time a few days ago. Good times.
RE is a fine little movie and one that is hard to forget.smile.gif
Brian Conrad's Avatar Brian Conrad 01:58 PM 12-27-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Good z movies are pretty much dead and it wouldn't take much to outclass them. WWZ was just OK but it isn't really comparable to this ghost movie. I was really surprised Wan dropped the ball on this. He has good track record and it could very well be bean counter related.
Before the zombie movie craze "z-movie" meant movies that weren't even good enough to be "B movies". IOW, not necessarily movies about zombies. Some of these kind of films can be rather entertaining. wink.gif
darthrsg's Avatar darthrsg 05:51 PM 12-27-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

Before the zombie movie craze "z-movie" meant movies that weren't even good enough to be "B movies". IOW, not necessarily movies about zombies. Some of these kind of films can be rather entertaining. wink.gif

In this thread I equate z with zombie. As always quality is subjective.
oink's Avatar oink 01:12 AM 12-28-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

Before the zombie movie craze "z-movie" meant movies that weren't even good enough to be "B movies". IOW, not necessarily movies about zombies. Some of these kind of films can be rather entertaining. wink.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

In this thread I equate z with zombie. As always quality is subjective.
Hmmm, we need to better differentiate the 2....allow me, please:

B movies = < good, low budget movies
Z movies = zombie flicks
GoCaboNow's Avatar GoCaboNow 11:46 AM 12-28-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloCreed View Post

On a positive note, I saw Rare Exports for the first time a few days ago. Good times.
I've said it before, and will say it again. Horror movies really benefit from a writer/director combo - as is the case in RE. RE is not the 2nd coming but it is tight, cohesive and the TONE is consistent and makes it easier to actually believe what is happening on screen. IMO, horror movies especially, need this kind of cohesion between writer and director to put out a believable product at the budgets they need to have. It also helps that the project stems from the idea or script that the writer has developed/cares abut and then TAKES the directors job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzack View Post

Checked out We Are What We Are on VUDU. Mickle's slow burner delivers where the original missed the mark for me. Rare case of U.S. remake is better than foreign original! I don't think I've seen that much "new" stuff in 2013 but I'd rank it #3 behind The Conjuring & Evil Dead. Worth a peek.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzack View Post

I think you'd dig it. If the mood strikes for a slow & steady cannibal ritual movie with great acting you won't find a better one from 2013. cool.gif
Adding "slow & steady cannibal ritual movie" to my horror movie genres. biggrin.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post


Hmmm, we need to better differentiate the 2....allow me, please:

B movies = < good, low budget movies
Z movies = zombie flicks

That would be cool if "B movies" equated to good, low budget movies.

Granted, would be cool if "blockbuster" meant good, high budget movie. tongue.gif

The last three nights I have done Smurfs 2, PLANES, and Despicable Me 2. Trying to find time to fit in FTV's The Hills run red and Queen of the damned this weekend but Harry Potter 1-8 is also sitting under the tree...redface.gif
General Kenobi's Avatar General Kenobi 12:04 PM 12-28-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

I've said it before, and will say it again. Horror movies really benefit from a writer/director combo - as is the case in RE. RE is not the 2nd coming but it is tight, cohesive and the TONE is consistent and makes it easier to actually believe what is happening on screen. IMO, horror movies especially, need this kind of cohesion between writer and director to put out a believable product at the budgets they need to have. It also helps that the project stems from the idea or script that the writer has developed/cares abut and then TAKES the directors job.

Adding "slow & steady cannibal ritual movie" to my horror movie genres. biggrin.gif
That would be cool if "B movies" equated to good, low budget movies.

Granted, would be cool if "blockbuster" meant good, high budget movie. tongue.gif

The last three nights I have done Smurfs 2, PLANES, and Despicable Me 2. Trying to find time to fit in FTV's The Hills run red and Queen of the damned this weekend but Harry Potter 1-8 is also sitting under the tree...redface.gif
The Hills Run Red was actually kinda fun, bad but still enjoyable.

My niece is visiting from San Louis Obispo so we may have to let her see The Conjuring since she has yet to see it. I also have 2 guns sitting here from nf but all in all it is a pretty slow time for content at present. I'll be adding We are What We Are to my queue, like wiz I was underwhelmed with the Spanish version but thought the trailer for the remake looked promising. I've also heard Prisoners, while not horror, is pretty dark for a suspenseful thriller.
oink's Avatar oink 12:30 PM 12-28-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

I've said it before, and will say it again. Horror movies really benefit from a writer/director combo - as is the case in RE. RE is not the 2nd coming but it is tight, cohesive and the TONE is consistent and makes it easier to actually believe what is happening on screen. IMO, horror movies especially, need this kind of cohesion between writer and director to put out a believable product at the budgets they need to have. It also helps that the project stems from the idea or script that the writer has developed/cares abut and then TAKES the directors job.
I'm not sure if this is usually the case with horror, but I won't argue your point.wink.gif

Quote:
Adding "slow & steady cannibal ritual movie" to my horror movie genres. biggrin.gif
+2

Cannibalism taps into a dark place in the human psyche.
Our species, as well as our hominid ancestors, did engage in cannibalism on a fairly regular basis....especially when things got tough.

Quote:
That would be cool if "B movies" equated to good, low budget movies.
I think you might have missed the "less than" mathematical symbol.tongue.gif

Quote:
Harry Potter 1-8 is also sitting under the tree...redface.gif
The wife and I have tentatively set up a BD marathon for this spring....should be fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

I've also heard Prisoners, while not horror, is pretty dark for a suspenseful thriller.
I've been thinking about this one too....
Brian Conrad's Avatar Brian Conrad 02:15 PM 12-28-2013
Despite it's low rating on IMDB probably precipitated by the current trend in unresolved endings I liked "Alien Uprising" on NF with Sean Brosnan and Bianca Bree who drug her dad into the movie though Sean didn't his dad. Why did I like it? It seemed to do a fairly good joke of emulating how people might actually react if they woke up to find a big alien mothership over their town and what chaos it might bring. And it's not an Asylum film.

Historically the term "B Movie" meant the second feature at a drive-in or theater. They were low budget but often still done by pros. The term "Z Movie" has been around before the recent zombie movie rage just to classify the more amateur efforts that aren't even B quality.
BornSlippyZ's Avatar BornSlippyZ 02:27 PM 12-28-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

I've said it before, and will say it again. Horror movies really benefit from a writer/director combo - as is the case in RE. RE is not the 2nd coming but it is tight, cohesive and the TONE is consistent and makes it easier to actually believe what is happening on screen. IMO, horror movies especially, need this kind of cohesion between writer and director to put out a believable product at the budgets they need to have. It also helps that the project stems from the idea or script that the writer has developed/cares abut and then TAKES the directors job.

Adding "slow & steady cannibal ritual movie" to my horror movie genres. biggrin.gif
That would be cool if "B movies" equated to good, low budget movies.

Granted, would be cool if "blockbuster" meant good, high budget movie. tongue.gif

The last three nights I have done Smurfs 2, PLANES, and Despicable Me 2. Trying to find time to fit in FTV's The Hills run red and Queen of the damned this weekend but Harry Potter 1-8 is also sitting under the tree...redface.gif

The kids love Despicable Me 2, I got to watch The Lone Ranger, Percy Jackson Sea Monsters and Fast 6. I was pretty entertained by all the movies and the PQ/AQ in The lone Ranger was pretty damn good! It reminds me how I miss watching westerns and need to buy more of them. I almost rented Insidious 2 but passed on it and I am going to search for a horror movie on Amazon streaming tonight.
GoCaboNow's Avatar GoCaboNow 02:59 PM 12-28-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

I think you might have missed the "less than" mathematical symbol.tongue.gif

Ah, the perils of surfing AVS on my daughters 14" notebook. smile.gif
darthrsg's Avatar darthrsg 03:49 PM 12-28-2013
Prisoners should be well liked here.
BornSlippyZ's Avatar BornSlippyZ 03:58 PM 12-28-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Prisoners should be well liked here.

I think I am going to buy that one!
oink's Avatar oink 04:23 PM 12-28-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

Despite it's low rating on IMDB probably precipitated by the current trend in unresolved endings I liked "Alien Uprising" on NF with Sean Brosnan and Bianca Bree who drug her dad into the movie though Sean didn't his dad. Why did I like it? It seemed to do a fairly good joke of emulating how people might actually react if they woke up to find a big alien mothership over their town and what chaos it might bring. And it's not an Asylum film.
(putting in queue).....

Quote:
The term "Z Movie" has been around before the recent zombie movie rage just to classify the more amateur efforts that aren't even B quality.
FWIW, I think D or F would be more descriptive.
BornSlippyZ's Avatar BornSlippyZ 04:34 PM 12-28-2013
Ah yeah I recorded Christine last night so I do have a decent horror movie to watch!
ApolloCreed's Avatar ApolloCreed 02:38 PM 12-29-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

The last three nights I have done Smurfs 2, PLANES, and Despicable Me 2. Trying to find time to fit in FTV's The Hills run red and Queen of the damned this weekend but Harry Potter 1-8 is also sitting under the tree...redface.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

The Hills Run Red was actually kinda fun, bad but still enjoyable.

My niece is visiting from San Louis Obispo so we may have to let her see The Conjuring since she has yet to see it. I also have 2 guns sitting here from nf but all in all it is a pretty slow time for content at present. I'll be adding We are What We Are to my queue, like wiz I was underwhelmed with the Spanish version but thought the trailer for the remake looked promising. I've also heard Prisoners, while not horror, is pretty dark for a suspenseful thriller.

The Hills Run Red was a nice little surprise a few years back for Horrorfest. Much better than expected.

Watched 2 Guns last night. Enjoyable (especially the chemistry between Wahlberg and Washington....oh and the sweet Paula Patton) but definitely only worthy of a rental. They tried to cram too much into the story which watered down the entire thing IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post

Ah yeah I recorded Christine last night so I do have a decent horror movie to watch!

Yep. Christine is still a solid watch. Easily among the better Stephen King adaptions.
darthrsg's Avatar darthrsg 04:18 PM 12-29-2013
Anyone see You're Next?
First ... 290  291  292 293  294  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop