October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....) - Page 295 - AVS Forum
First ... 293  294  295 296  297  ... Last
Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion > October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....)
ApolloCreed's Avatar ApolloCreed 12:17 PM 01-01-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post

Black Christmas is a classic and I hope you enjoy it! Hopefully you and your wife gets some down time just to veg out!

Happy New Year!

Classic indeed. We watched it 2 nights ago. It was a first time watch for my wife and she loved it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

Prisoners, You're Next, or this little potential gem I've never heard of but looks promising: Ritual

Sounds like you already went with You're Next. frown.gif Ritual looks fairly familiar in the set up, but the devil worshipping angle has some promise. May have to check it out.

darthrsg's Avatar darthrsg 12:21 PM 01-01-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

We watched You're Next last night... following with the majority of 2013 it was a let down. Very little to like with this one. Plot is supremely weak and the characters are uninteresting. The twist is a joke you can see coming after about the first 15 minutes. Don't waste your time folks. Prisoners or Ritual probably would have been much better picks for last night. Oh well, I'm hopeful that my first theatrical experience of 2014 (Lone Survivor) will kick off my movie watching new year proper!
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
THEY PROBABLY HAVE A CELL PHONE JAMMER THEY ARE ILLEGAL BUT LIKE THIRTY BUCKS ON THE INTERNET

Comedy gold.
oink's Avatar oink 12:26 PM 01-01-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Educate me. How is it a trilogy? It always just felt like hey we got all the same writers and actors doing three different flicks but we're gonna call it a trilogy because it's cool to do that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzack View Post

Eh I guess it's just cool to call it one. The only connection the movies have is ice cream, so yeah kinda weak. But trilogies are so hot right now!
These 3 movies are not technically a trilogy, I was using the term very loosely.wink.gif
I was referring to Pegg/Wright as the writers, Pegg/Fry as The Buddies, Wright as the Director, and some of the same gags running thru all 3 movies (the falling fence, for example).
Also some nods to previous movies in the script.

One thing I did notice, after running all 3 together, is what an excellent actor Pegg is.
He really is terrific, no question.
Completely convincing to me.smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post


TWE had some pretty good national reviews and one even called it the "best" comedy of 2013 and most put it between Hot Fuzz and Shaun.
You guys make it sound like it might not be better than Hot Fuzz...
Best comedy?eek.gif
God, I hope not.

Anyway, here's a tip:
Start the movie at the "bathroom" scene and end it at the "sinking bar" scene (no, these aren't spoilers wink.gif).
That's where the funny stuff lies.....
darthrsg's Avatar darthrsg 01:28 PM 01-01-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post


These 3 movies are not technically a trilogy, I was using the term very loosely.wink.gif
I was referring to Pegg/Wright as the writers, Pegg/Fry as The Buddies, Wright as the Director, and some of the same gags running thru all 3 movies (the falling fence, for example).
Also some nods to previous movies in the script.

One thing I did notice, after running all 3 together, is what an excellent actor Pegg is.
He really is terrific, no question.
Completely convincing to me.smile.gif
Best comedy?eek.gif
God, I hope not.

Anyway, here's a tip:
Start the movie at the "bathroom" scene and end it at the "sinking bar" scene (no, these aren't spoilers wink.gif).
That's where the funny stuff lies.....

Cool. Just seems they slap saga on anything. I'm a Pegg fan too.
GoCaboNow's Avatar GoCaboNow 08:56 PM 01-01-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

I noticed "Hell Baby" is available at RB. It's a horror satire by the folks from "Reno 911". I might wait a couple of weeks because the distributors films tend to show up a little after being available on RB on Netflix.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHxuAXW0nXg

Also for April is a sci-fi film called "Transcendence' with a big cast. Looks like it is anti-Singularity which I am all for because I think Kurzweil is nuts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKTVYi9ttfM

I watched "Syrup" last night and would love to see Max Barry's satire "Jennifer Government" finally made into a movie.
Bluray.com had a conflicting review of Hell Baby. IIRC, they ripped the heck out of it and ended by saying they thought it was better than most of it's ilk???

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post


These 3 movies are not technically a trilogy, I was using the term very loosely.wink.gif
I was referring to Pegg/Wright as the writers, Pegg/Fry as The Buddies, Wright as the Director, and some of the same gags running thru all 3 movies (the falling fence, for example).
Also some nods to previous movies in the script.

One thing I did notice, after running all 3 together, is what an excellent actor Pegg is.
He really is terrific, no question.
Completely convincing to me.smile.gif
Best comedy?eek.gif
God, I hope not.

Anyway, here's a tip:
Start the movie at the "bathroom" scene and end it at the "sinking bar" scene (no, these aren't spoilers wink.gif).
That's where the funny stuff lies.....

My wife enjoyed Hot Fuzz and Shaun and, hopefully, we will get it in this weekend.
darthrsg's Avatar darthrsg 10:09 PM 01-01-2014
Finished up Warm Bodies. Liked it way more than I thought. Refreshing in a few ways. Finally somebody went to skeletons.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
My biggest issue was the very end. There's no way in hell they blew those walls up.

General Kenobi's Avatar General Kenobi 11:16 PM 01-01-2014
I had to go with the safe option and watch The Big Lebowski on IFC tonight. Apart from the over saturation of trojan vibrating twister commercials (IFC's MO) it was a very positive experience... man tongue.gif
oink's Avatar oink 01:50 AM 01-02-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

I watched the junk movie (since I can't say z movie here) "Alien Origin" on NF. It's another found footage conceit this time with a lot of Go camera footage and shot in Beliz. It's sorta interesting just for the latter and the story concept is good. Probably enjoyable after a six pack too. Oh, and did I mention it is also an Asylum film (though they didn't put their logo up front). biggrin.gif
I FINALLY found a movie with an opening so bad I wanted to "Oink it" based on THAT alone.....

OK guys, I am NOT making this up...really:
It starts with closeups of guys with guns mumbling and, apparently, moving about in the dark....and lens flair flare coming from EVERYTHING moving and making no f_cking sense whatsoever.
Then a soundtrack starts of such sh!tty music(?) that I wondered whether it came from Hell or the kid down the street who delivers my newspaper.
All while scrolling across the scene of a rave for 12 year olds comes 20 minutes of credits with.....wait for it....lens flair flare. eek.gif
Yes, I mean the LETTERS themselves had lens flair flare! rolleyes.gif
Of course, because they should....right?

Once all of this nonsense/stupidity/ultra lameness floats by the first official scene attacks my frontal cortex with acting just this side of a Keanu Reeves and Tara Reid production of Hamlet.

In order to preserve my last ounce of sanity, I hit the EJECT button.....

I sincerely recommend no one here risk their mental stability with a viewing of this.....whatever it is.
BornSlippyZ's Avatar BornSlippyZ 07:12 AM 01-02-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

I FINALLY found a movie with an opening so bad I wanted to "Oink it" based on THAT alone.....

OK guys, I am NOT making this up...really:
It starts with closeups of guys with guns mumbling and, apparently, moving about in the dark....and lens flair flare coming from EVERYTHING moving and making no f_cking sense whatsoever.
Then a soundtrack starts of such sh!tty music(?) that I wondered whether it came from Hell or the kid down the street who delivers my newspaper.
All while scrolling across the scene of a rave for 12 year olds comes 20 minutes of credits with.....wait for it....lens flair flare. eek.gif
Yes, I mean the LETTERS themselves had lens flair flare! rolleyes.gif
Of course, because they should....right?

Once all of this nonsense/stupidity/ultra lameness floats by the first official scene attacks my frontal cortex with acting this side of a Keanu Reeves and Tara Reid production of Hamlet.

In order to preserve my last ounce of sanity, I hit the EJECT button.....

I sincerely recommend no one here risk their mental stability with a viewing of this.....whatever it is.

You post made me laugh, especially the Keanu Reeves/Tara Reid part!biggrin.gif

Kenobi I almost watched the Big Lebowski last night but I dvr'd it and watched Conan the Barbarian instead. Trips me out that the movie is almost 32 years old!
stevew24963's Avatar stevew24963 07:22 AM 01-02-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post

You post made me laugh, especially the Keanu Reeves/Tara Reid part!biggrin.gif

Kenobi I almost watched the Big Lebowski last night but I dvr'd it and watched Conan the Barbarian instead. Trips me out that the movie is almost 32 years old!
Damn,32 years old,I saw it in the theater when it came out. Now I feel old. Wish I didn't read that. :-(
BornSlippyZ's Avatar BornSlippyZ 07:52 AM 01-02-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew24963 View Post

Damn,32 years old,I saw it in the theater when it came out. Now I feel old. Wish I didn't read that. :-(
I am starting to feel old too but these movies are nostalgic and bring me back to simpler times as a kid.

Oh and since it is just the beginning of 2014, I just saw this trailer and I want to see this!

GoCaboNow's Avatar GoCaboNow 10:31 AM 01-02-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Finished up Warm Bodies. Liked it way more than I thought. Refreshing in a few ways. Finally somebody went to skeletons.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
My biggest issue was the very end. There's no way in hell they blew those walls up.
I wanted to hate Warm Bodies but it started pretty well. After a while I thought to myself I should have watched it with my 15 year old daughter, as I think she would have liked it due to the teen angst, romance angle. Then I wanted to hate it again because of that, but was well done and I did like the skeletons. smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post

I am starting to feel old too but these movies are nostalgic and bring me back to simpler times as a kid.

Oh and since it is just the beginning of 2014, I just saw this trailer and I want to see this!
Fingers crossed!!
yankeeman's Avatar yankeeman 10:34 AM 01-02-2014
Would you guys believe i am still salivating at the thought of a complete Event Horizon with all those wild scenes in it that were taken out? I forget who posted them, but you are driving me nuts thinking about it!!!!! Post them again!!!
oink's Avatar oink 10:40 AM 01-02-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

I wanted to hate Warm Bodies but it started pretty well. After a while I thought to myself I should have watched it with my 15 year old daughter, as I think she would have liked it due to the teen angst, romance angle. Then I wanted to hate it again because of that, but was well done and I did like the skeletons. smile.gif
My take on it too.

A classic?
No, not really.

Worth a watch?
Absolutely....the wife and I enjoyed it.smile.gif
General Kenobi's Avatar General Kenobi 11:20 AM 01-02-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post

Would you guys believe i am still salivating at the thought of a complete Event Horizon with all those wild scenes in it that were taken out? I forget who posted them, but you are driving me nuts thinking about it!!!!! Post them again!!!
That was me, I'd love to have that as well but I think many of them would be flashed so quickly like they were in other scenes they would not make as much as an impact. The one scene i really wich would have been left in was the scene of the naked blood covered sam neil climbing down the latter upside down... it is way creepy looking and would have been fine to leave in IMO.

Here's the post I shared a while back:
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

I know we have seen some of the poorly rendered video clips cut out of what would have been an even more devastating Event Horizon but Dread Central has gotten their hands on some of the stills. The images are in the spoiler tags for anyone who has not seen the film and for NSFW purposes. Hold on to your butts...

The year was 1997, and the film Event Horizon had us all thinking that director Paul W.S. Anderson was someone we needed to keep an eye on. Simply put, the film (even though it was cut and edited to shreds) was spooky and damned good.

It was apparent that somewhere within Event Horizon there was a perversely dark and violent film lurking, but thanks to a cut-happy MPAA and overzealous editing, we never really got to see any of it. That's why when we were made aware of the following Imgur album, we got pretty ecstatic. Finally we can gaze upon its horrors via screen grabs that allow us a good look at the film's lunacy and violent tendencies. Check 'em out below, and pray for an unrated cut. One day the video gods will make it happen, at least we hope that they can.

In the film starring Laurence Fishburne, Sam Neill, and Kathleen Quinlan, a rescue crew investigates a spaceship that disappeared into a black hole and has now returned... with someone or something new on board.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)








































oink's Avatar oink 12:00 PM 01-02-2014
I'm not sure if the 55 second video would really add to the movie.
Fake blood & guts for the sake of fake blood & guts is not reason enough IMO.
Perhaps if it is all done in one splice it would be OK....
Brian Conrad's Avatar Brian Conrad 12:24 PM 01-02-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

I FINALLY found a movie with an opening so bad I wanted to "Oink it" based on THAT alone.....

In order to preserve my last ounce of sanity, I hit the EJECT button.....

I sincerely recommend no one here risk their mental stability with a viewing of this.....whatever it is.

You rented it on disc? Certainly not worth much more than a freebie like the free films on YouTube Movies. I watched for other reasons including to see some of the "jungle" landscape of Beliz but that could have been shot in a number of places. However if you would have lasted until the final credits you would have seen the film was sponsored by Beliz's film agency. Lot's there to inspire tourism in Beliz. biggrin.gif

I also see that "All the Boys Love Mandy Lane" with Amber Heard has been added to NF WI.
General Kenobi's Avatar General Kenobi 12:26 PM 01-02-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

I'm not sure if the 55 second video would really add to the movie.
Fake blood & guts for the sake of fake blood & guts is not reason enough IMO.
Perhaps if it is all done in one splice it would be OK....
The three areas that seem to have portions removed were obviously where Sam Neil was coming down the latter, where the footage of the original crew was found, and then the scene where Sam Neil was showing Morpheus all the crap. When you add those together it does thicken the hellacious nature Anderson was attempting but probably doesn't really do much for the film as a whole. Sometimes the editing is a very good thing, most comedy "unrated" versions of the film really lose their punch when all is left in but I still like to have the choice to see the directors vision of film, especially when the cuts are made for the sake of a a rating.
BornSlippyZ's Avatar BornSlippyZ 12:33 PM 01-02-2014
I hope Paul has the whole Event Horizon they test screened long ago! That would make 2014 a bit better (along with the release of The Abyss/True lies on BD)! Not a fair comparison but I remember buying Aliens with the longer version on LD. IIRC it was close to $75 and my friends couldn't figure out why I wanted it till they watched it with me. It does make for a different film of sorts but these things are reserved for the fans of these films. I think my friends thought I was crazy just for buying LDs in the first place.
GoCaboNow's Avatar GoCaboNow 12:48 PM 01-02-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post

Would you guys believe i am still salivating at the thought of a complete Event Horizon with all those wild scenes in it that were taken out? I forget who posted them, but you are driving me nuts thinking about it!!!!! Post them again!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post

I hope Paul has the whole Event Horizon they test screened long ago! That would make 2014 a bit better (along with the release of The Abyss/True lies on BD)! Not a fair comparison but I remember buying Aliens with the longer version on LD. IIRC it was close to $75 and my friends couldn't figure out why I wanted it till they watched it with me. It does make for a different film of sorts but these things are reserved for the fans of these films. I think my friends thought I was crazy just for buying LDs in the first place.

As it turns out I cannot find my Event Horizon BD. Been a few years since I last viewed and now I cannot find on my shelves. Any Intel this version might be out this year??
oink's Avatar oink 01:13 PM 01-02-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

You rented it on disc?
NF.

Quote:
I watched for other reasons including to see some of the "jungle" landscape of Beliz but that could have been shot in a number of places. However if you would have lasted until the final credits you would have seen the film was sponsored by Beliz's film agency. Lot's there to inspire tourism in Beliz. biggrin.gif
At least it has some redeeming value.

Quote:
I also see that "All the Boys Love Mandy Lane" with Amber Heard has been added to NF WI.
Mmmmmm....Amber Heard....

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

most comedy "unrated" versions of the film really lose their punch when all is left in but I still like to have the choice to see the directors vision of film, especially when the cuts are made for the sake of a a rating.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post

I hope Paul has the whole Event Horizon they test screened long ago! That would make 2014 a bit better (along with the release of The Abyss/True lies on BD)!
The Cameron films are WAAAAAY overdue.frown.gif

Quote:
I think my friends thought I was crazy just for buying LDs in the first place.
You were.biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post


As it turns out I cannot find my Event Horizon BD. Been a few years since I last viewed and now I cannot find on my shelves.
This is gonna sound weird, but the SAME thing happened to me a month ago....I had to order another one.confused.gif
BornSlippyZ's Avatar BornSlippyZ 02:09 PM 01-02-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post


As it turns out I cannot find my Event Horizon BD. Been a few years since I last viewed and now I cannot find on my shelves. Any Intel this version might be out this year??
IIRC, Paul at a past Comiccon said he had a copy of the test EH that he was going to view and possibly might release. No word beyond that if and when it will release.
BornSlippyZ's Avatar BornSlippyZ 02:14 PM 01-02-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

NF.
At least it has some redeeming value.
Mmmmmm....Amber Heard....
Agreed.
The Cameron films are WAAAAAY overdue.frown.gif
You were.biggrin.gif
This is gonna sound weird, but the SAME thing happened to me a month ago....I had to order another one.:confused:

You guys disks opened up the gateway to Proxima Centari!tongue.gif
oink's Avatar oink 02:45 PM 01-02-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post

IIRC, Paul at a past Comiccon said he had a copy of the test EH that he was going to view and possibly might release. No word beyond that if and when it will release.
(fingers crossed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post

You guys disks opened up the gateway to Proxima Centari!tongue.gif
Actually, there is an opening in the Willamette Valley.
Both Cabo and I have been trying to keep its location secret for years....
GoCaboNow's Avatar GoCaboNow 04:26 PM 01-02-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post

You guys disks opened up the gateway to Proxima Centari!tongue.gif
That is weird. I saw it on Amazon for $5.94 or something, and remembered thinking ANOTHER movie I already have on sale for an insanely cheap price...smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

(fingers crossed)
Actually, there is an opening in the Willamette Valley.
Both Cabo and I have been trying to keep its location secret for years....
There are lots of oddities in the northwest. tongue.gif
oink's Avatar oink 07:36 PM 01-02-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

That is weird. I saw it on Amazon for $5.94 or something
Yup, same price I paid.confused.gif

Quote:
There are lots of oddities in the northwest. tongue.gif
That's an understatement, in fact, there is a....OH WAIT!eek.gif (SORRY, I forgot myself for a moment there)
darthrsg's Avatar darthrsg 08:32 PM 01-02-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

My take on it too.

A classic?
No, not really.

Worth a watch?
Absolutely....the wife and I enjoyed it.smile.gif

Indeed. It's a cut above for sure.
yankeeman's Avatar yankeeman 05:38 AM 01-03-2014
Thanks for posting those EH clips again Kenobi, now whenever i will watch my dvd of it i will always feel something is missing. Still a really good mivie though
smudge981's Avatar smudge981 08:51 AM 01-03-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

As it turns out I cannot find my Event Horizon BD. Been a few years since I last viewed and now I cannot find on my shelves.

It fell behind your equipment. Happens to me all the time. My subwoofer usually vibrates the damn thing right to the floor. wink.gif
General Kenobi's Avatar General Kenobi 09:38 AM 01-03-2014
I woke up just a bit before 5am today for no reason other than busy brain. I had Ginger Snaps from nf sitting on the kitchen counter so decided to pop it in as I knew I'd not be going back to sleep. FTV for me on this and I've always wanted to see it but ten angst movies usually annoy me so I never bumped it up on the list. Color me surprised, what a sweet little gem this is! Young Katherine Isabelle is excellent eek.gifwink.gif and makes me want to watch American Mary a second time even after being a bit underwhelmed with it the first. If this is on blu I may have to add it to the library. NF sent me a dvd that was 4.3, not sure if that was the OAR but would be nice to see it as filmed if it was not. Good stuff!
First ... 293  294  295 296  297  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop