October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....) - Page 298 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-08-2014, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 968
Prisoners should be well received.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2014, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Prisoners should be well received.

This will be at RB next week and I am definitely going to rent this!

I have been on a slight horror drought lately but I have bought a couple of new to me BD, 2001: A Space Odyssey, The Incredible Hulk and Akira (which will arrive later this week).

October HorrorFest Participant
Old 01-08-2014, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post

This will be at RB next week and I am definitely going to rent this!

I have been on a slight horror drought lately but I have bought a couple of new to me BD, 2001: A Space Odyssey, The Incredible Hulk and Akira (which will arrive later this week).

You've seen it all before but we enjoyed it. Jake and Jackman are pretty awesome and the film asks a few tough questions.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

Maybe oink only watched 20 minutes? wink.gif Actually I strongly believe oink would have more praise for movies if he had more patience for a well thought out punchline... if memory serves he was one of the few here who did not like or did not finish The Descent, required reading for members of this thread.

That was probably me. I thought it was average. Maybe it's the fact that I don't suffer from claustrophobia. wink.gif

"I am NOT suffering from insanity... I happen to be enjoying myself!"

Old 01-08-2014, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

As a matter of fact, I bought a ticket....and suffered thru PR.
I did want to walk out, but the wife forced me to sit until the end.mad.gif
Your memory has failed you....I always have loved The Descent.
OK, now you're just getting nasty....tongue.gif
I don't want to nag....are you sure you got your priorities right?biggrin.gif
As Doc would say... "I stand corrected, you are an oak."
Sorry, the profile pic comment was intended for cabo redface.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by smudge981 View Post

That was probably me. I thought it was average. Maybe it's the fact that I don't suffer from claustrophobia. wink.gif
Just when I was starting to like you too.

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

Old 01-08-2014, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:

I think The Descent is a good movie, but not nearly as great as so many think. I agree that people like you and me who do NOT have claustrophobia will not find this as horrific as others. I actually feel safe in tight enclosed spaces.

never take life seriously
Old 01-08-2014, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Last night my wife got to choose between 2 new cheapo blu-rays (Shawshank and Pulp Fiction) for the night's entertainment. Both among my all-time favs. She wasn't particularly thrilled about either one because we've seen them too many times but she chose Pulp Fiction. I went downstairs to grab it out of my rack and for some reason Lovely Molly got my attention. I walked upstairs with Pulp Fiction and Lovely Molly and had her choose again. Of course, she chose the horror option. Guys I gotta tell ya, this is definitely one of my top horror flicks in the last couple of years. Not perfect by all means, but that sits perfectly well with me considering how well certain elements were executed. Overall, I think this movie has gotten luke warm reviews from the masses, but for those that enjoy slow burning, psychological horror; this should be right up your alley. Gretchen Lodge acts her frickin ass off and Eduardo Sanchez (a la Blair Witch) does a great job of using the unknown to paint a very disturbing picture. Its not often that I even consider watching the extras on my discs, but I'm glad I did in this case. There's some great stuff in there to give you more to think about.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't mind tight spaces, heck I use to crawl into fuel tanks, T-tails, belly etc of parts on a airplane but The Descent creeped me out (worked well too) because A) if you were stuck in a hole like that your dead or die eventually, B) those creatures live down there and want to eat you, therefor your dead C) Stupid girl didn't tell anyone where your were going so it is a low probability that help will find you. Sorry for the spoilers but I assume most here have seen the movie.

Old 01-08-2014, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post

I think The Descent is a good movie, but not nearly as great as so many think. I agree that people like you and me who do NOT have claustrophobia will not find this as horrific as others. I actually feel safe in tight enclosed spaces.
It's not the tight spaces that make The Descent work for me, it's the complete and utter disorientation coupled with being eaten alive. The movie did a good job to establish th relationship the girls had instead of just thrusting into the cliche "leave city, go to cabin" routine. The set designs were very believable and sold not only the sense of isolation as far as how far the cave entrance was from... well anything, but also the labyrinth like nature. For me this drove home the desperation and hopelessness of the situation they were in thinking of how far underground they were, no sense of direction, separated from each other, and being pursued by mutant cannibal cave creatures. The gore was solid and the proper ending (not the theatrical US version) was awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloCreed View Post

Last night my wife got to choose between 2 new cheapo blu-rays (Shawshank and Pulp Fiction) for the night's entertainment. Both among my all-time favs. She wasn't particularly thrilled about either one because we've seen them too many times but she chose Pulp Fiction. I went downstairs to grab it out of my rack and for some reason Lovely Molly got my attention. I walked upstairs with Pulp Fiction and Lovely Molly and had her choose again. Of course, she chose the horror option. Guys I gotta tell ya, this is definitely one of my top horror flicks in the last couple of years. Not perfect by all means, but that sits perfectly well with me considering how well certain elements were executed. Overall, I think this movie has gotten luke warm reviews from the masses, but for those that enjoy slow burning, psychological horror; this should be right up your alley. Gretchen Lodge acts her frickin ass off and Eduardo Sanchez (a la Blair Witch) does a great job of using the unknown to paint a very disturbing picture. Its not often that I even consider watching the extras on my discs, but I'm glad I did in this case. There's some great stuff in there to give you more to think about.

I enjoyed that one but not sure it hit a high water mark for me, maybe I need to give it another go and see if a second ride improves my score.

My Rig

Old 01-08-2014, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloCreed View Post

Overall, I think this movie has gotten luke warm reviews from the masses, but for those that enjoy slow burning, psychological horror; this should be right up your alley.
I just added Lovely Molly to my Netflix WI list.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

My take on Lovely Molly in 2012 FWIW. I felt then a second viewing was needed.
Quote:
16- Lovely Molly. I got lost in this one. Parts were good and parts were like meh. I did enjoy the last third more than the first 2/3 for some reason. I was just not getting it for some reason and should probably revisit another time. Netflix Instant 1st
Old 01-08-2014, 01:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:

As Doc would say... "I stand corrected, you are an oak."
Sorry, the profile pic comment was intended for cabo redface.gif
DV: Apology accepted, General Needa.....

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
Old 01-08-2014, 01:27 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

DV: Apology accepted, General Needa.....
A Star Wars nerd out there won't see what you did there and they're going to break a finger while typing to correct you. The anger. The rage.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

Old 01-08-2014, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

A Star Wars nerd out there won't see what you did there and they're going to break a finger while typing to correct you. The anger. The rage.

lol ...did he mean corporal? or lieutenant? oh I got it, officer!
tongue.gif
Old 01-08-2014, 01:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Being an SW nerd is a mandatory requirement to post in this forum....tongue.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

lol ...did he mean corporal? or lieutenant? oh I got it, officer!
tongue.gif
I knew you would.wink.gif

Old 01-08-2014, 02:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

My take on Lovely Molly in 2012 FWIW. I felt then a second viewing was needed.

This was my third time watching it, so things made a lot more sense than they did the first time. Even so, certain elements are purposely withheld and we are left to our imagination to fill in some of the blanks. The extras on the disc were worth the watch simply because they explore the possibilities. I will say that I don't expect this to be everyone's cup of tea as there are some really horrible reviews out there.....But for me, this one is right in my wheelhouse.cool.gif
Old 01-08-2014, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I actually feel safe in tight enclosed spaces.

So many jokes, so little time...
yankeeman likes this.

Old 01-08-2014, 05:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

So many jokes, so little time...
LOL, you have a dirty mind, sir.....tongue.gif
yankeeman likes this.

Old 01-08-2014, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:

Maybe oink only watched 20 minutes? wink.gif Actually I strongly believe oink would have more praise for movies if he had more patience for a well thought out punchline... if memory serves he was one of the few here who did not like or did not finish The Descent, required reading for members of this thread. P.s gotta ask but is your profile pic you or some form of mockery? biggrin.gif I've been hitting the gym about 1 1/2 - 2 hours 4-5 days a week for about 6 months or so and am feeling great. Starting to see some results as well, good stuff for an office beeotch.. the missus bought a juicer and am going to start working that in as well. I'm thinking the exercise and veggies will offset the bourbon and bacon eek.gifwink.gif

Ok so Mandy Lane... yeah hawt but kinda too young in this movie. The flick was pretty routine, not sure what all the fuss was about reading some of the older reviews but the wife and I enjoyed it enough. It was predictable and the transfer was an effing disaster but still worth a watch. I should have Prisoners next and am really looking forward to something requiring a bit more mental power.
Ha, I like to think the sig pic is not a mockery! smile.gif Though I mostly like it for the brooding power it conveys to my well thought out comments...rolleyes.gif

After more reflection, I think the twisty ending in Mandy Lane elevates it above A LOT of slashers in it's genre. Amber was only 20 in this movie...

Good work at the gym and nutrition area. Few things feel better than a nice, long, unhurried workout and corresponding feeling afterwards. I lift at 6:30am Monday through Saturday (most Saturdays smile.gif) 30-40 minutes and run two miles three times a week. Not the time, or intensity, I have done in the past but super efficient in results for the amount of time I am willing to dedicate to it along with work, kids and kids sports activities. I was thinking exercise and proper nutrition will offset...beer. biggrin.gif
Quote:

Quote:

I don't mind tight spaces, heck I use to crawl into fuel tanks, T-tails, belly etc of parts on a airplane but The Descent creeped me out (worked well too) because A) if you were stuck in a hole like that your dead or die eventually, B) those creatures live down there and want to eat you, therefor your dead C) Stupid girl didn't tell anyone where your were going so it is a low probability that help will find you. Sorry for the spoilers but I assume most here have seen the movie.

Quote:

It's not the tight spaces that make The Descent work for me, it's the complete and utter disorientation coupled with being eaten alive. The movie did a good job to establish th relationship the girls had instead of just thrusting into the cliche "leave city, go to cabin" routine. The set designs were very believable and sold not only the sense of isolation as far as how far the cave entrance was from... well anything, but also the labyrinth like nature. For me this drove home the desperation and hopelessness of the situation they were in thinking of how far underground they were, no sense of direction, separated from each other, and being pursued by mutant cannibal cave creatures. The gore was solid and the proper ending (not the theatrical US version) was awesome.
I enjoyed that one but not sure it hit a high water mark for me, maybe I need to give it another go and see if a second ride improves my score.
I too enjoy, and frequent tight spaces. What adds to the tension of Descent, for me, is the frustration I get when I want the characters to be able to see their attackers, or have the ability to aggressively flee or have room to really move around and fight. But the movie takes that away and only gives it back in pieces...

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
Old 01-08-2014, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

What lift program do you follow? Have you seen this GoCaboNow?
Old 01-08-2014, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 273
I liked Lovely Molly. There were some things left to the imagination.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I wonder if the horse references were supposed to mean that she was on heroin.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

Good work at the gym and nutrition area. Few things feel better than a nice, long, unhurried workout and corresponding feeling afterwards. I lift at 6:30am Monday through Saturday (most Saturdays smile.gif) 30-40 minutes and run two miles three times a week.

Hate this time of the year at the gym. You have all these newbies using their new memberships and not having a clue about gym etiquette. Had to move some kid along the other day who thought the weight bench was the perfect place to make a phone call to his girlfriend.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:01 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:

Hate this time of the year at the gym. You have all these newbies using their new memberships and not having a clue about gym etiquette. Had to move some kid along the other day who thought the weight bench was the perfect place to make a phone call to his girlfriend.
Gym bully. wink.gif

A year ago I let my gym membership run out. First time not being a paying member of a gym in over 20 years. Exclusively used for heavy lifting. Last year I decided I'd had enough of that and made a workout room at home. Built a stand for chins, dips, punching bag, speed bag, belt for adding weight, 160 lb sand bag, etc. Haven't regretted the decision once. I used to think I'd never get tired of hammering on the iron. Apparently, I was wrong.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ha, I like to think the sig pic is not a mockery! smile.gif Though I mostly like it for the brooding power it conveys to my well thought out comments...rolleyes.gif

After more reflection, I think the twisty ending in Mandy Lane elevates it above A LOT of slashers in it's genre. Amber was only 20 in this movie...

Good work at the gym and nutrition area. Few things feel better than a nice, long, unhurried workout and corresponding feeling afterwards. I lift at 6:30am Monday through Saturday (most Saturdays smile.gif) 30-40 minutes and run two miles three times a week. Not the time, or intensity, I have done in the past but super efficient in results for the amount of time I am willing to dedicate to it along with work, kids and kids sports activities. I was thinking exercise and proper nutrition will offset...beer. biggrin.gif

I too enjoy, and frequent tight spaces. What adds to the tension of Descent, for me, is the frustration I get when I want the characters to be able to see their attackers, or have the ability to aggressively flee or have room to really move around and fight. But the movie takes that away and only gives it back in pieces...

Quote:

Quote:

Gym bully. wink.gif

A year ago I let my gym membership run out. First time not being a paying member of a gym in over 20 years. Exclusively used for heavy lifting. Last year I decided I'd had enough of that and made a workout room at home. Built a stand for chins, dips, punching bag, speed bag, belt for adding weight, 160 lb sand bag, etc. Haven't regretted the decision once. I used to think I'd never get tired of hammering on the iron. Apparently, I was wrong.

My gym is free, well it is included with the HOA along with the clubhouse pool. It's small and limited in equipment but I've developed a solid routine using what is available. This was the scene when I went in on Monday morning... so much for those resolutions I guess!

I tried my juicer this morning, it did not give me any mad energy but allowed me to avoid fatigue which was nice. 1 beet, 4 carrots, 1/2" ginger, 1 lemon, and one apple. I found the taste somewhere between gag inducing and tolerable. I choked it down with a couple eggs and hit the weights and elliptical.

Looks like Lovely Molly is free streaming right now on nf, may have to check it out as my queue is pretty stale until Prisoners and Captain Philips hit.

My Rig

Old 01-09-2014, 12:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I was thinking exercise and proper nutrition will offset...beer. biggrin.gif
Wrong.
The only thing that offsets beer is whiskey.
stevew24963 likes this.

Old 01-09-2014, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Everyone keeps talking about the different endings for The Descent. I dont know which one is on my bluray. Can someone post a description of both endings for me? Do it as a spoiler so as not to ruin it if anyone here hasnt seen the movie yet. I dont have the case for the movie to help me know which version i have, i remove my dvds from the cases and store them in books with plastic sheets that the discs slide into. Thanks guys.

never take life seriously
Old 01-09-2014, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

I am one of those New Years resolution exercise person, but I took a few months off beginning in Oct to Jan. But all I am doing is push ups, sit ups and jogging/walking on a treadmill for 2 miles everyday. I hope can keep it up and make it my habit.

Kenobi, that is a nice gym in your neighborhood and cool that you have it all to yourself!

Old 01-09-2014, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Everyone keeps talking about the different endings for The Descent. I dont know which one is on my bluray. Can someone post a description of both endings for me? Do it as a spoiler so as not to ruin it if anyone here hasnt seen the movie yet. I dont have the case for the movie to help me know which version i have, i remove my dvds from the cases and store them in books with plastic sheets that the discs slide into. Thanks guys.

WHAT IS THIS SORCERY?!
Old 01-09-2014, 07:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post

I liked Lovely Molly. There were some things left to the imagination.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I wonder if the horse references were supposed to mean that she was on heroin.

A solid possibility, yes. I'll revisit the extras when I get a chance and post back. I'm fairly sure they cover that topic.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Last year I decided I'd had enough of that and made a workout room at home. Built a stand for chins, dips, punching bag, speed bag, belt for adding weight, 160 lb sand bag, etc. Haven't regretted the decision once.

Taught my daughter enough boxing technique so she didn't get bullied at school if the time came. It never did, thank goodness. Now my girlfriend wants me to take her into our boxing area and teach her. Going to work on stance, and throwing different punches. Then I'll introduce her to the speed bag, heavy bag, and crazy bag. Did I mention she likes the Three Stooges, too. biggrin.gif
Quote:

I am one of those New Years resolution exercise person, but I took a few months off beginning in Oct to Jan. But all I am doing is push ups, sit ups and jogging/walking on a treadmill for 2 miles everyday. I hope can keep it up and make it my habit.

Good for you. Push-ups, sit-ups, obliques, and back - all necessary for a strong core as you get older.

I know it's unbelievable but I haven't seen "Trick 'r Treat" yet. That's going to change as I treated myself to a copy when it got down to about $5 on Amazon not too long ago. I have a feeling it's going to get watched this weekend.