October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....) - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 59Likes

post #901 of 10474 Old 10-14-2010, 07:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Watched Sleepy Hollow last night, and give it 5/5 stars. Very well done on all accounts, with a great cast. Ray Park's performance as the Headless Horseman brings a smile to my face (known for Star Wars' Darth Maul). The first movie of the month that the wife really enjoyed. The tagline "Heads Will Roll" is definitely true...the decapitation count gets up there.

Highly recommended as a fun horror movie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 10474 Old 10-14-2010, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob McLaughlin View Post

14. I Sell The Dead (first-time viewing)
This was a nice change of pace: a graverobber condemned to die tells his lifetime of stories to a priest. The mood is light and humorous throughout, but overall the movie is a bit weak. Most would call this a horror-comedy, although there are funnier and more horrific movies to be had. It's very talky, I don't know if there's a moment in the movie where people aren't talking. And the structure is very episodic, it's really a string of small stories that couldn't support a movie-length plot. Despite these weaknesses I liked this movie because it was something different and fun.

15. Pet Sematary
I remember seeing this movie in the theater over 20 years ago and it went over very well with the crowd. The movie still holds up as a nice nuts & bolts horror movie which pushes all the right buttons. There are one too many jump scares involving the cat being thrown at the actors, and Dale Midkiff seems to be channeling a comatose Harry Hamlin, but Fred Gwynne (Herman Munster) is awesome, and Gage and Zelda are still creepy. Sometimes the movie's tone veers towards silly but overall this is a good scary horror story.

2010 Horror Movie Marathon List
FTV denotes first-time viewings
1. Severance (FTV)
2. Happy Birthday To Me (FTV)
3. The Howling
4. Dark Night of the Scarecrow (FTV)
5. Frankenstein (1931)
6. The Flesh and Blood Show (FTV)
7. Three...Extremes (FTV)
8. Lifeforce (FTV)
9. 30 Days of Night (FTV)
10. The Shining
11. The Human Centipede: First Sequence (FTV)
12. Don't Look Now
13. The Manitou (FTV)
14. I Sell The Dead (FTV)
15. Pet Sematary

Classic, great pick. Zelda is way creepy and the old guy just rocks... "awe, you pullin him in the wagon, bet he liked that didn't he" lol

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

post #903 of 10474 Old 10-14-2010, 08:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Blockbuster just shipped off my next 3 additions to Horrorfest. We have; A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010), The Blair Witch Project and House of the Devil. All 3 are blu-ray versions!

Its gonna be a fun weekend boys.
post #904 of 10474 Old 10-14-2010, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Thursday, and i have just finished HANNIBAL.

Excellant excellant movie. Not given its due since its always compared to Silence of the Lambs, and how many movies can meet that standard?

This weaves a slow atmospheric web of tension, and does a good job in continuing the story of Lecter and his relationship with Clarice. Its really good, as its a rare slow-paced movie that can hold my interest for over 2 hours, but this one does.

Julianne Moore has a tough job, stepping in to take the place of Jodie Foster, but she does very well. Anthony Hopkins continues to be perfect in his role. I really enjoyed this movie. It was very "brainy".

My list so far, with ratings on a 1-10 scale:
1 - Grotesque - 9+
2 - MOH Haeckels Tale - 5
3 - MOH Jenifer - 7
4 - MOH Pick Me Up - 5
5 - Murder-Set-Pieces - 7+
6 - MOH Dance Of The Dead - 4
7 - MOH The Screwfly Solution - 5
8 - MOH Right To Die - 7
9 - Underworld - 9++
10-The Last House On The Left - 9++
11-Street Trash - 3
12-MOH Family - 7
13-Hannibal - 9+++

never take life seriously
post #905 of 10474 Old 10-14-2010, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloCreed View Post

Blockbuster just shipped off my next 3 additions to Horrorfest. We have; A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010), The Blair Witch Project and House of the Devil. All 3 are blu-ray versions!

Its gonna be a fun weekend boys.

Nice (except the first one), you should enjoy House of the Devil... slow but good. I'm going all Argento tonight and tomorrow with Suspiria and Inferno.

yankeeman - That's how I felt about Red Dragon. I did not care for Hannibal but I thought Red Dragon was almost on par with Silence of the Lambs, excellent prequel and excellent movie.

My Rig

post #906 of 10474 Old 10-14-2010, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 689
ApolloCreed, House of the Devil was awesome. I think any slowness was intentional.
post #907 of 10474 Old 10-14-2010, 10:10 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

14. I Sell The Dead (first-time viewing)
This was a nice change of pace: a graverobber condemned to die tells his lifetime of stories to a priest. The mood is light and humorous throughout, but overall the movie is a bit weak. Most would call this a horror-comedy, although there are funnier and more horrific movies to be had. It's very talky, I don't know if there's a moment in the movie where people aren't talking. And the structure is very episodic, it's really a string of small stories that couldn't support a movie-length plot. Despite these weaknesses I liked this movie because it was something different and fun.

+1 for I SELL THE DEAD. Saw it in glorious HD on SHOWTIME. A true love letter to the old Hammer/Corman movies. And always a treat to see Angus Scrimm (PHANTASM). This film is the first time I've seen him since the MoH INCIDENT ON & OFF A MOUNTAIN ROAD episode. Jeez, has he ever played Scrooge? He nails it in this film. Ron Perlman was good as the priest as well.
post #908 of 10474 Old 10-14-2010, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member

I enjoyed Hannibal and Red Dragon. We watched Hannibal Rising about a month ago and while it was okay, it wasn't really on par with the rest.

Yeah, I heard bad things about ANOES, but as a fan of the series going back to my childhood, this one is a must-watch regardless. If anything else, I heard that the soundtrack will be a good workout for my HT.

Many people disliked Blair Witch, but I am definitely not one of them. I thought it was very scary and realistic so I am looking forward to watching it again. I doubt the blu-ray will offer much in improvements since it was such a low-budget film to begin with, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

House of the Devil has been high on my list for quite some time. In fact, I believe we had a discussion about it on this forum back in the summer. I chose to wait until the challenge to watch it, so the anticipation is quite high. I remember catching a little sneak-peak of it on HDNet one day and it looked great.
post #909 of 10474 Old 10-14-2010, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 117
I forgot about Red Dragon. I will have to look into it, dont have one in my collection YET. So far i am sticking with dvd's in my collection for October.

I look forward to around the 21st or 22nd as i will be starting to watch all 6 Saw movies in order to get ready for the release of Saw 7 on the 29th in theaters. I feel it will enchance my enjoyment of the new Saw 7. Anybody else gonna do this?

never take life seriously
post #910 of 10474 Old 10-14-2010, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Yeah, I heard bad things about ANOES, but as a fan of the series going back to my childhood, this one is a must-watch regardless. If anything else, I heard that the soundtrack will be a good workout for my HT.

Who's going to say bad things about the original ANOES, seriously? I've not known of one person, and that includes my parents, guy friends, and girlfriend, and friend's girlfriends. I know some BORING people who don't care about horror movies, and thus, not caring about ANOES. But disliking it? I'm curious as to whom. It's one of the most interesting slasher movies ever made, and probably the greatest fantasy slasher of all time. People who diss it also diss any other 70-80s slasher movie, and they are probably no fun to be around either.

I thought I'd list my list of what I've gone through so far this October:

John Carpenter's Village of the Damned. Highly overlooked title that has plenty of Carpenter style. 6.5/10.

Twilight Zone The Movie. Solid movie with great episodes. Favorite is the Lithgow segment. 6.5/10.

Zombieland. Could have used less dialogue and character building and more apocalyptic Zombie action. 6/10.

Altered. Interesting UFO movie from the creators of the Blair Witch Project. Has some very interesting things to see and offer. 6/10.

People Under The Stairs. This is one of the few great Wes Craven movies aside from ANOES. It's hilarious, has an awesome soundtrack, and is genuinely unsettling. Ending is terrible, but it's still an awesome fantasy fairy tell that almost seems aimed at children. 7/10.

Phantasm. I can't stand this movie. I tried watching this for the second time, and always seem to be bored silly out of my mind after the 35 minute mark. I literally cannot take this movie down. I heard there are some really cool things happen during the second half, but I really can't get past the first half so I could care less. 4/10.
post #911 of 10474 Old 10-14-2010, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

I picked up Red Dragon on HD-DVD for like $2 new about 6 months ago, great movie. I did the Saw movies last year so don't plan on doing them this year but I will go see the new one just not on Halloween weekend because we've already got stuff planned.

I also liked Blair Witch and found it scary, in all honesty I think horror is at its best when it takes you just slightly past your threshold and then lets your imagination finish the rest. Blair Witch did well with this concept but there are very few movies that truly fit that bill for me.

My Rig

post #912 of 10474 Old 10-14-2010, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

25. The Burning, 1981. Summer camp prank gone wrong. I think this is a template for a lot of 80's slasher movies. Great genre entry. 2/5

Ouchy, 2/5 (below average) seems to be a low blow for The Burning.

Yes, The Burning did essentially create Friday The 13th. It can be a little slow sometimes in sake of character development (which many fans will argue that it's needed in this movie), but its kill scenes are flat out phenomenal. The errieness of the soundtrack is sure to get anyone unsettled during viewing, and I guarantee that. The cinematography is something to look at as well. Besides, the gore effects are some of Tom Savini's best work. It also has the Jason Alexander from Seinfield.

Definitely recommend the burning for anyone who likes Friday the 13th, or is interested in 80s slasher movies. You'll be glad you checked it out.
post #913 of 10474 Old 10-14-2010, 11:18 AM
Advanced Member

[quote=FendersRule;19335431]Who's going to say bad things about the original ANOES, seriously? I've not known of one person, and that includes my parents, guy friends, and girlfriend, and friend's girlfriends. I know some BORING people who don't care about horror movies, and thus, not caring about ANOES. But disliking it? I'm curious as to whom. It's one of the most interesting slasher movies ever made, and probably the greatest fantasy slasher of all time. People who diss it also diss any other 70-80s slasher movie, and they are probably no fun to be around either. QUOTE]

I wasn't talking about the original. A few posts prior to that one, I listed a few movies that are on deck for the weekend. One of them is the REMAKE of A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010). From what I hear, it fails to do the original any justice at all. Like I said though, I'm looking forward to it regardless of that solely because I'm a fan of the series.
post #914 of 10474 Old 10-14-2010, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 118
I <3 Monster Squad - great pick. Night of the Creeps is up there too. The Burning was fun. The boat scene is off the charts and Savini's fx are tops.

Did you guys see The Blair Witch Project in the theater? Not really knowing if it was fake scared the s out of us. The viral campaign for it was nuts.

The above post is 100% medically accurate

31 Days of Horror:

post #915 of 10474 Old 10-14-2010, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

FendersRule, agree totally. Only genre fans apply. The kills are indeed top notch. My 2 and 3's are "likes."
post #916 of 10474 Old 10-14-2010, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Wizzack, it was only until I watched the extras did I see that Monster Squad and NOTC are from the same crew. Good stuff.
post #917 of 10474 Old 10-14-2010, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I wasn't talking about the original. A few posts prior to that one, I listed a few movies that are on deck for the weekend. One of them is the REMAKE of A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010). From what I hear, it fails to do the original any justice at all. Like I said though, I'm looking forward to it regardless of that solely because I'm a fan of the series.

Get ready for some suckiness then if you haven't seen the remake.

My opinion on ANOES 2010 hasn't really changed from when I saw it in the theaters (I went dressed up as Freddy Krueger for this, so you can call me a fan if you'd like ). Characters are boring stereotypical models, script is boring, editing is a serious mess, effects are a CGI mess and are less than stellar when compared to the original, soundtrack is a devastating letdown, and Freddy looks like an Alien. The anamorphic cinematography wasn't the right choice for this case either, as everything looks too polished for what it's worth. The last 10 minutes of the movie is the best part where Freddy actually moves around and chases people (somewhat). 80% of the movie is comprised of Freddy standing around (usually near a chalkboard) and popping up out of no where, saying a line, and then cutting to the next scene. It's a movie that clearly relies on cheap scare tactics rather then embracing the viewer into some real atmosphere and suspense like the original.

Imagine if McDonald's (Michael Bay Production CO) started to make authentic Philly Cheese Steak sandwiches. You know immediately that they are going to find the cheapest, fastest, most efficient way to make them so that they will taste "good enough" to be released for sale. This is EXACTLY what happens with most of the modern remakes today, including ANOES 2010. It feels artificial to the point of being cheap and a slap in the face. When directors put their heart and soul into a project while being truly creative and plan together with a solid crew/cast to give it their all comes the great remakes (AKA John Carpenter's The Thing). You don't even need a lot of money to make a good A Nightmare on Elm Street, and that's the sad truth. I truly think that if someone gave an independent film company who actually cares about the ANOES franchise 5-10 million dollars that they would have achieved much better results.

Which brings me to the effects. You will see most of the original effects redone, but all using CGI. The most disgusting out of them all has to be the "wall" scene where Nancy is sleeping. The original completed this by using black spandex material with very careful lighting and having an actor brush his face and claws through it so that it looks hauntingly real and creepy. The new one uses 100% CGI for this scene (it looks terrible too). The famous bathtub scene also is heavily gimped as well. Even the scene where Freddy drags Tina up the wall and splits her open is extremely weak compared to the original which leaves audiences, "Woah..that's some serious stuff".

The soundtrack has no apparent theme (well, it kinda does but it's so production-like sounding). It's something that can be made in iLife's Garageband with any of the string plug-ins. Hell, I could have made the soundtrack, and that's not saying much.

I'm at-least able to sit through it without getting overly pissed off, but I really find myself bored a lot of the times, same as I felt in the theaters.

Is it better than ANOES 2: Freddy's Revenge, ANOES 5: Dream Child, or ANOES 6: Freddy's Dead? Well, in some ways yes. In other ways, no. I dislike all of these movies on some scale, especially the 2010 remake so I can't really determine which is better. It's like picking out the best looking turd in a pond. It just seems rather pointless.

If you are a fan of the series, you will greatly enjoy ANOES 1, 3, and 4 so much more than the 2010 rehash.

Either way, being a ANOES Fanboi, I have the remake on Blu-ray. I just don't think it's going to get a lot of viewings from me.
post #918 of 10474 Old 10-14-2010, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok, one of you guys need to get Frozen on your list, I'm itching to talk about it!

My Rig

post #919 of 10474 Old 10-14-2010, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

Ok, one of you guys need to get Frozen on your list, I'm itching to talk about it!

Consider it added. I almost grabbed it off the shelf at BB the other day but settled on AAWIL instead. So, looks like it will have to wait until next week.
post #920 of 10474 Old 10-14-2010, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Consider it added. I almost grabbed it off the shelf at BB the other day but settled on AAWIL instead. So, looks like it will have to wait until next week.

Sweet! FYI it's 9.99 on amazon right now for bluray... 11.99 for dvd

My Rig

post #921 of 10474 Old 10-14-2010, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

post #922 of 10474 Old 10-14-2010, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzack View Post

Did you guys see The Blair Witch Project in the theater? Not really knowing if it was fake scared the s out of us. The viral campaign for it was nuts.

I loved the online campaign and trailers and got totally sucked into the whole thing. Thought it might be fake, might not, and I couldn't wait for the movie and ran out to see it in the theater, sure it was going to be a great experience.

Then I saw the movie.

Aside from the last 5 minutes, the movie just didn't deliver the goods, at least not for me. I left feeling angry and hoodwinked. It was odd because about half of the audience seemed to "get it" and the other half didn't. I wish it had worked for me but it didn't. I had a similar reaction to "Paranormal Activity", although this time I knew more what I was getting into.

Some day I might try watching BWP again now that the hype is long over, so I can view it with a more open mind, but I just haven't felt compelled. I appreciate it's place in horror movie history but that's about it.

"I'LL SHOW YOU THE LIFE OF THE MIND!!!" - Barton Fink
post #923 of 10474 Old 10-14-2010, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzack View Post

Yes I did and found it not to be scary at all. But then I have a different take on Witches
post #924 of 10474 Old 10-14-2010, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

I didn't see Blair Witch at the theater but did watch it with no spoilage. It is the best movie ever made compared to Paranormal Activity.
post #925 of 10474 Old 10-14-2010, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Saw BWP twice when I was 12 years old, and it was heavily effective for me.
post #926 of 10474 Old 10-14-2010, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I loved the online campaign and trailers and got totally sucked into the whole thing. Thought it might be fake, might not, and I couldn't wait for the movie and ran out to see it in the theater, sure it was going to be a great experience.

Then I saw the movie.

Aside from the last 5 minutes, the movie just didn't deliver the goods, at least not for me. I left feeling angry and hoodwinked. It was odd because about half of the audience seemed to "get it" and the other half didn't. I wish it had worked for me but it didn't. I had a similar reaction to "Paranormal Activity", although this time I knew more what I was getting into.

Some day I might try watching BWP again now that the hype is long over, so I can view it with a more open mind, but I just haven't felt compelled. I appreciate it's place in horror movie history but that's about it.

I enjoyed Paranormal Activity but was way let down from what I'd expected given the hype. I even drove into SF which I usually avoid like the plague to go see it before it got a wide release. I will say I thought the alt ending worked much better for me but the movie could have been so much better given the concept.

My Rig

post #927 of 10474 Old 10-14-2010, 02:15 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

Already saw it. Nice, unnerving movie. Aside from some questionable choices by the characters, I think it accomplishes what it sets out to do quite nicely.
post #928 of 10474 Old 10-14-2010, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 118
Yeah without the hype and mystery surrounding Blair Witch I could see how the movie might not hold up. Pure perfection in the marketing department though. That last scene though might still spook me!

Paranormal Activity was a stinker. Seems like mostly everyone agrees on that one. Did anyone here get their name in the credits?

Joel I'm with you on Frozen. Adam Green succeeded in building genuine tension throughout. I'm not sure what it was but something was holding it from going to that next level for me. I need a second viewing (alone) methinks.

The above post is 100% medically accurate

31 Days of Horror:

post #929 of 10474 Old 10-14-2010, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

27. Splinter, 2008. Pretty good. If you like Night of the Creeps or The Blob you should dig this. Creepy beasty, made me jump. Extra points for Jill Wagner. 4/5
post #930 of 10474 Old 10-14-2010, 08:23 PM
Advanced Member

Location: n.j if the world gets an enema the hose will be above us
Liked: 13
Time for some classic Cronenberg. The Brood (1979) and Scanners (1981) so I can hear Michael Ironside say ” I'm golng to suck your brain dry!“

build coffins. that's all you'll need. R Neville
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page