October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....) - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 383Likes

post #991 of 11104 Old 10-18-2010, 11:52 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logic_BomB View Post

I wish channels like Turner Classic Movies, AMC, and others played uncensored movies. I've personally boycotted these channels because of it. They have some great movies at times but I just can't bring myself to support that kind of butchering of a film. Either play it in it's entirety or not at all. If it's not appropraite for your station you shouldn't play it in the first place. What's worst is that they have the gall to make you sit through a "violence/nudity/language" warning after every commercial break when they've removed all 3!

Ridiculous.

/End Rant

Logic_Bomb,i whole heartedly agree with you about AMC. They totally destroy a movie with their bleeping words,cutting scenes,throwing in TONS of commercials,and pop-ups so large and annoying that i quit watching that channel YEARS ago, cuz they destroy every movie they get their hands on. But you are wrong about TCM. TCM is one of the very best channels left on tv. They don't chop movies up,TCM shows all their movies uncut and w/o commercials and uncensored. Watch TCM sometime you won't see any of the BS that you have to put up with on AMC. My only complaint about TCM is that they still won't show anything in true HD,even tho' they have an HD channel.Can't figure out what's up with that! G.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 11104 Old 10-18-2010, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by greaser View Post

My only complaint about TCM is that they still won't show anything in true HD,even tho' they have an HD channel.Can't figure out what's up with that! G.

I think it's because they want people to subscribe to their HD channel.

"I'LL SHOW YOU THE LIFE OF THE MIND!!!" - Barton Fink
post #993 of 11104 Old 10-18-2010, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I guess I'm wrong on TCM then. Could have sword I tried watching something on that channel that was chopped to ****. Thanks for letting me know - I'll give them another go.
post #994 of 11104 Old 10-18-2010, 01:44 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob McLaughlin View Post

I think it's because they want people to subscribe to their HD channel.

There no subscription fee for their HD channel. It's just that there is no HD.

MGM-HD is running some of the Roger Corman Poe films in HD on Halloween.
And, for those who can get HDNet Movies, they'll be showing MONSTERS a few days before it goes to theaters. These two channels (and SHOWTIME/THE MOVIE CHANNEL) are the only HD movie channels worth having. As for TCM, they're great also...showing films uncut, in OAR, without ads. But no HD is a detriment these days. Still, hard to resist catching a couple of those Hammer flicks. And thanks, Joel C, for the heads-up on TARGETS. Never thought I'd see that one in HD!
post #995 of 11104 Old 10-18-2010, 02:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Can't wait to see "The Fall of the House of Usher" on MGM-HD on October 31st.at MN. EDT. in true HD! for the first time ever on tv. that'll be a real treat and i'm gonna record it G.
post #996 of 11104 Old 10-18-2010, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Thanks for the ride lady!

Yeah, the third episode with the hitchhiker is awesome. I think I like it more than all of my friends.
post #997 of 11104 Old 10-18-2010, 03:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:

19. Ginger Snaps (first-time viewing)
Take "Heathers", add "The Wolfman" and a dash of Cronenberg's "The Fly" and you get "Ginger Snaps", a fresh, entertaining take on the werewolf genre. When a werewolf bites one of two school reject sisters, horror and hilarity result. Look for Mimi Rogers as the straightlaced mom. The end gets a bit serious and drawn out, but overall I enjoyed this movie for its attitude and newness on an old genre.

Bob, out of curiousity, where did you obtain Ginger Snaps and which version did you see? BB online has it labeled as "long wait" and my local BB doesn't have it (although it has the 2 sequels for some reason). Looking at Amazon, they have it available but I heard that the Canadian version is the one to get because it has the widescreen presentation. I didn't see that version for sale.

Edit: Just realized that I keep putting BB in my posts without realizing that people might be interpreting it as Best Buy. Just for clarification, I mean Blockbuster.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #998 of 11104 Old 10-18-2010, 03:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMaugans View Post

Last night's flick:

Saw VI

What can ya say here? It's Saw. You either love them or hate them. Personally, I love them. There's nothing new in this one that we haven't seen in the past 5. As much as I thought the first Saw was a fairly interesting and ground-breaking movie, I also believe that the rest of the movies have raised the bar on what's possible in term of gore effects, each one out-doing the last with a perfect blend of practical and CGI. Gore doesn't get much better, IMHO. It's unfortunate that the story arc has become so convoluted and non-sensical.

The original Saw was a fabulous ground-breaking movie. The subsequent offerings have not even come close to living up to that one. I enjoyed a couple of them, but you are correct that the story has become convoluted.

post #999 of 11104 Old 10-18-2010, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:

Last night's flick:

Saw VI

What can ya say here? It's Saw. You either love them or hate them. Personally, I love them. .

I feel the same way. I cant wait, in a couple of days i will start watching all 6 in order, and i know i will rate them higher then most people here would. I just love these movies, liked them all even though some are better than others, and i disagree with people who say they should have stopped making this series many movies ago. I am upset that 7 coming up is supposed to be the last!!!!

never take life seriously
post #1000 of 11104 Old 10-18-2010, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Apollo I had to get a Canadian copy of Ginger Snaps (anamorphic) from ebay. Both Netflix & BB had the US pan & scan disc.

Today I watched the original I Spit on Your Grave. Jaw......meet floor!

Sunday - Orphan
Saturday - Dark Ride
Friday - Phantasm II

The above post is 100% medically accurate

31 Days of Horror:

post #1001 of 11104 Old 10-18-2010, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post

I am upset that 7 coming up is supposed to be the last!!!!

Remember they said that after Friday the 13th part 4 and every one after.

They also said the same about the first Rob Schneider movie......

31 Days of Horror:

post #1002 of 11104 Old 10-18-2010, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzack View Post

Apollo I had to get a Canadian copy of Ginger Snaps (anamorphic) from ebay. Both Netflix & BB had the US pan & scan disc.

Today I watched the original I Spit on Your Grave. Jaw......meet floor!

Sunday - Orphan
Saturday - Dark Ride
Friday - Phantasm II

Love the original I Spit On Your Grave. Good one!!!

So is Orphan, i think thats an excellant movie with a great surprise ending.

post #1003 of 11104 Old 10-18-2010, 07:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Love the original I Spit On Your Grave. Good one!!!

So is Orphan, i think thats an excellant movie with a great surprise ending.

I said it during last year's Horrorfest and I'll say it again. Orphan was an absolutely fantastic movie and possibly my favorite of 2009.

post #1004 of 11104 Old 10-18-2010, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloCreed View Post

I said it during last year's Horrorfest and I'll say it again. Orphan was an absolutely fantastic movie and possibly my favorite of 2009.

Esther stole my heart.

Fun movie! Some parts really frustrated me but I can put that aside for a horror flick.

31 Days of Horror:

post #1005 of 11104 Old 10-18-2010, 07:17 PM
Advanced Member

Upcoming flicks:

April Fool's Day and Frozen for tonight's double-feature.

Hostel and Wrong Turn on deck.

Wizzack, I can't say enough about Isabelle Fuhrman and the job she did playing Esther. Very impressive.

post #1006 of 11104 Old 10-18-2010, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Tonight's:

Paranormal Activity

I'm conflicted. First time seeing this one, because I somehow managed to avoid all the hype surrounding it. I'll get this out of the way: I LIKED the movie. Did I LOVE it like I loved Blair Witch or the best of the month so far, Lake Mungo? No. It gave me some genuine chills and was fun to watch, but the little nagging problems became too distracting as the movie progressed. I thought the female lead really had some poor acting moments, the special effects weren't all that "special" and the biggest issue: the characters just did STUPID stuff.

I can take a character doing something dumb in a Scream movie or Friday the 13th, but this is supposed to depict a documentary of REAL LIFE. Too often I found them doing things that no actual person would do in real life, which took me out of the movie.

This was a good example of a low-budget indy movie, but it was not a masterpiece.

7/10
post #1007 of 11104 Old 10-18-2010, 10:14 PM
Advanced Member

Location: n.j if the world gets an enema the hose will be above us
Liked: 14
Tonight John Carpenter's The Thing . This movie always knocks me on my a$$ ! Did you know there are people who have never seen it . For those who have not had the pleasure I always tell them the ending. Here's how it ends (non spoiler) Your hands are tied behind you .A hood is piaced over your head. You step up on a stool where a rope is placed tightly around your neck then somebody kicks the stool The End. Thats what it felt like first time I saw it. Highly Recomended!

Oh yeah. Avoid Always More Commercials when it comes to movies.

build coffins. that's all you'll need. R Neville
post #1008 of 11104 Old 10-18-2010, 11:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 341
20. Triangle - Rating 5/5. This is just brilliant film making, no other way to put it. This was my second viewing of the film and not only did I pick up on more of the subtle nuances but the movie knocked my teeth in just as much as the first time.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I never noticed or remember noticing the her watch and the clock on the ship always frozen at 8:17. After doing some cheat reading on the film it sounds like this was probably her original time of death... interesting. I also found the progression of the seagull's symbolism particularly interesting.

I know most here have seen it but for those who haven't this should be at the top of your list. First mind-screw I've seen to best Mulholland Drive IMO.

1. Return of the Living Dead 1985 - Rating 3/5.
2. Man Bites Dog - Rating 3/5
3. An American Werewolf in London - Rating 5/5
4. Hostel - Rating 4/5
5. Amityville Horror (2005) - Rating 3/5
6. In The Company of Wolves - Rating 4/5
7. Se7en - Rating 5/5.
8. Splice - Rating 1/5
9. Nightmare on Elm St. (2010) - Rating 2/5
10. The Midnight Meat Train - Rating 4/5.
11. The Exorcist (1973) - Rating 5/5
12. Dark Water (2002) - Rating 1/5
13. Frozen - Rating 4/5
14. The Horde - Rating 2/5
15. Suspiria - Rating 4/5
16. Inferno - Rating 2/5
17. Creepshow - Rating 4/5
18. Lake Mungo - Rating 2/5
19. Rawhead Rex - Rating 3/5
20. Triangle - Rating 5/5

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

post #1009 of 11104 Old 10-19-2010, 01:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Candyman. 5.7/10

Some scary chair jumping scenes, but this was a let down in general for me. I was hoping for a fun slasher movie with a monster villain of some-sort that liked candy and killing teens, but instead received a borderline slow Clive Barker style narrative with a normal looking black dude with a bloody hook that wasn't in it too terribly much. If I had to describe the plot to someone, it would be slightly difficult as it's hard to even grasp it completely after seeing it once. Basically--mythos with immortality that has a gangster impostor, and the power of mind control and psychosis. All occurs in an urban setting whilst studied by graduate students for a thesis.

The acting, production, and soundtrack are quite great (soundtrack could have been used more at times, though). I just didn't find too much interest in it myself, but I wouldn't call it too terribly boring because it does have a decent story with good resolution at the end.

Worth checking out if you like Clive Barker movies. I still think Hellraiser is his far best from the ones I've seen. I hear some good things about Nightbreed, but I just wasn't too terribly trilled with this one.
post #1010 of 11104 Old 10-19-2010, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 762
33. Fright Night, 1985. Welcome to Fright Night, for real! 5/5

Steam: Guts
post #1011 of 11104 Old 10-19-2010, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloCreed View Post

Bob, out of curiousity, where did you obtain Ginger Snaps and which version did you see? BB online has it labeled as "long wait" and my local BB doesn't have it (although it has the 2 sequels for some reason). Looking at Amazon, they have it available but I heard that the Canadian version is the one to get because it has the widescreen presentation. I didn't see that version for sale.

Edit: Just realized that I keep putting BB in my posts without realizing that people might be interpreting it as Best Buy. Just for clarification, I mean Blockbuster.

I rented it through Netflix. It was in a 4:3 aspect ratio which was odd. I assume the original theatrical aspect ratio was not 4:3, but I didn't notice anything getting cut off on the sides, so maybe they shot it in anticipation of the 4:3 video release.

post #1012 of 11104 Old 10-19-2010, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

20. Dark Water (2002) (first-time viewing)
Hideo Nakata (The Ring) directs this chiller about a recently divorced woman moving into a drippy old apartment with her daughter. I loved the slowly leaking apartment as a metaphor for the woman's eroding sanity and family situation, and as expected this movie delivers some great chills. I use the word "chills" rather than "scares" since this movie is more about setting an atmosphere of dread than being outright scary all the time. The movie also exploits the realities and guilty feelings of imperfect parenting to great effect. I had a major problem with the ending--without giving anything away, I just don't think any real mother would do what she did--but taking it as a whole, the movie was a worthy entry for this month of horror movies.

2010 Horror Movie Marathon List
FTV denotes first-time viewings
1. Severance (FTV)
2. Happy Birthday To Me (FTV)
3. The Howling
4. Dark Night of the Scarecrow (FTV)
5. Frankenstein (1931)
6. The Flesh and Blood Show (FTV)
7. Three...Extremes (FTV)
8. Lifeforce (FTV)
9. 30 Days of Night (FTV)
10. The Shining
11. The Human Centipede: First Sequence (FTV)
12. Don't Look Now
13. The Manitou (FTV)
14. I Sell The Dead (FTV)
15. Pet Sematary
16. Triangle (2009) (FTV)
17. The Orphanage
18. Trick 'r Treat
19. Ginger Snaps (FTV)
20. Dark Water (2002) (FTV)

post #1013 of 11104 Old 10-19-2010, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:

20. Dark Water (2002) (first-time viewing)
Hideo Nakata (The Ring) directs this chiller about a recently divorced woman moving into a drippy old apartment with her daughter. I loved the slowly leaking apartment as a metaphor for the woman's eroding sanity and family situation, and as expected this movie delivers some great chills. I use the word "chills" rather than "scares" since this movie is more about setting an atmosphere of dread than being outright scary all the time. The movie also exploits the realities and guilty feelings of imperfect parenting to great effect. I had a major problem with the ending--without giving anything away, I just don't think any real mother would do what she did--but taking it as a whole, the movie was a worthy entry for this month of horror movies.

2010 Horror Movie Marathon List
FTV denotes first-time viewings
1. Severance (FTV)
2. Happy Birthday To Me (FTV)
3. The Howling
4. Dark Night of the Scarecrow (FTV)
5. Frankenstein (1931)
6. The Flesh and Blood Show (FTV)
7. Three...Extremes (FTV)
8. Lifeforce (FTV)
9. 30 Days of Night (FTV)
10. The Shining
11. The Human Centipede: First Sequence (FTV)
12. Don't Look Now
13. The Manitou (FTV)
14. I Sell The Dead (FTV)
15. Pet Sematary
16. Triangle (2009) (FTV)
17. The Orphanage
18. Trick 'r Treat
19. Ginger Snaps (FTV)
20. Dark Water (2002) (FTV)

I agree, the last 20 minutes of that really failed to deliver any saving grace for the film... pretty weak.

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

post #1014 of 11104 Old 10-19-2010, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Moviefone posted their list of the Five Best Foreign Slasher Films today. Thought it was worthy of a look.

http://blog.moviefone.com/2010/10/18...er-films-ever/
post #1015 of 11104 Old 10-19-2010, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Tuesday morning, just watched THE HITCHER.

Very good example of the typical "pick up a crazy killer who is hitch-hiking" movie. Its got a lot of gore, a lot of great car chases and crashes (much more than the average horror movie, even got a helicopter in one of them), and while its a premise we have seen a million times in slasher/shooter movies (of course they are out in the middle of nowhere), this one with the chases and crashes really did it for my personal taste as opposed to the usual slasher/shooter who is just walking around killing people. I hate to keep rating movies high, but i am working from my dvd collection and over the years i have weeded out most of the ones i dont care for that much and the ones that are left usually are ones i really like. You guys may not like them quite as much as me, i think i am less critical than many here, and i tend to grade higher at times, but i do like this movie a lot. So i rated this an 8.

My list so far, with ratings on a 1-10 scale:
1 - Grotesque - 9+
2 - MOH Haeckels Tale - 5
3 - MOH Jenifer - 7
4 - MOH Pick Me Up - 5
5 - Murder-Set-Pieces - 7+
6 - MOH Dance Of The Dead - 4
7 - MOH The Screwfly Solution - 5
8 - MOH Right To Die - 7
9 - Underworld - 9++
10- The Last House On The Left - 9++
11- Street Trash - 3
12- MOH Family - 7
13- Hannibal - 9+++
14- Fear Dot Com - 8
15- Pulse - 8
16- Deadgirl - 9
17- The Hitcher - 8

By the way, BMaugans, on that list you just posted of foreign slasher movies, High Tension i feel is excellant, and Inside is one of the alltime best true classics of horror movies. Wolf Creek i feel is over-rated. I havent seen the others.

post #1016 of 11104 Old 10-19-2010, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Today's flick:

The Deaths of Ian Stone

What a nice surprise this one was. A genuinely interesting concept: a man wakes up at the same time every day in a different reality. His goal for the day: to survive "The Harvesters" that are chasing after him, only to get caught and killed and start all over again the next day.

The end was a bit derivative, but I enjoyed every minute of this one.

a solid 8/10.
post #1017 of 11104 Old 10-19-2010, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

By the way, BMaugans, on that list you just posted of foreign slasher movies, High Tension i feel is excellant, and Inside is one of the alltime best true classics of horror movies. Wolf Creek i feel is over-rated. I havent seen the others.

Yeah, Inside is the one I have not seen from that list. I'm tracking it down. I liked Wolf Creek at the time, but it is certainly not in the same league as Haute Tension or Phenomena.
post #1018 of 11104 Old 10-19-2010, 09:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yeah, Inside is the one I have not seen from that list. I'm tracking it down. I liked Wolf Creek at the time, but it is certainly not in the same league as Haute Tension or Phenomena.

I felt that High Tension and Inside were excellent but Wolf Creek was also pretty good in its own right. Perhaps slightly overrated but well-done nonetheless.

Last night's movies:

17. April Fool's Day (2008)- {2.75/5} DVD (First-time viewing) Much to my disappointment, when the movie began I realized that I got the wrong version of AFD. I though that I was renting the 1986 version and didn't even know there was a "remake". Well, aside from that, it didn't turn out as bad as I was expecting. It resembled a soap opera at times and all the characters were d-bags in one way or another, but the acting was actually okay and there were some good, unexpected scares as the movie went along (especially the last kill). The storyline was pretty easy to figure out right off the bat, but it still proved to be slightly entertaining in the end.

18. Frozen (2010)- {4.25/5} Blu-Ray (First-time viewing) Talk about an edge of your seat experience! I found myself very uncomfortable throughout much of the movie (reminding me of Orphan or Inside in that regard). The acting was very good/believable and the storyline was very original. Just being stuck out there was crazy enough but when the wolves come into the picture, the intensity went off the charts. I also really liked the dialog as I was laughing out loud on a few occasions when they were passing the time with small talk. Of course, one becomes an expert in survival when watching this kind of movie, so naturally I thought about what I would have done differently. But, in the end, this was an excellent movie that keeps you on the edge of your chair nearly the entire time. On a side note, Joe talks about his GF in college by the name of Jenny Bluth and strangely enough I also went to college with a girl by the name of Jenny Bluth.

post #1019 of 11104 Old 10-19-2010, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

http://www.amctv.com/fearfest/movies-by-date/

Here is AMC and their Fearfest 2010 lineup, if you care. I'm only after Dead Silence due to a friend constantly telling me to see it.

post #1020 of 11104 Old 10-19-2010, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Today's flick:

The Deaths of Ian Stone

What a nice surprise this one was. A genuinely interesting concept: a man wakes up at the same time every day in a different reality. His goal for the day: to survive "The Harvesters" that are chasing after him, only to get caught and killed and start all over again the next day.

The end was a bit derivative, but I enjoyed every minute of this one.

a solid 8/10.

I think I may need to re-watch this. I liked it but I am foggy on wtf was going on.

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page