October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....) - Page 341 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 241Likes

post #10201 of 10837 Old 06-06-2014, 10:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

needs to retire for a few years like zombies.
I know it's late where you're at, Scott....
I'll forgive you for misspeaking.tongue.gif

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10202 of 10837 Old 06-06-2014, 11:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 724
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

I know it's late where you're at, Scott....
I'll forgive you for misspeaking.tongue.gif

We are at peak z.
post #10203 of 10837 Old 06-07-2014, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:

You folks use any soundbars?

I now live in a condo building, so i cant play stuff super-loud like i used to. I took my surround-sound and put it in the second bedroom and dont make it real loud, i use it mainly just to get better sound and to plug headphones into the receiver so i can then listen to stuff loud. Also, my wife didnt want a surround-sound in the living room for looks.

So, two months ago when we bought a new Sammy smart tv, i bought a Sammy soundbar with it. Looks fine for my wife, and certainly improves the sound from the tv. No, its not like having a great surround-sound system, but as i said, its an improvement. I still cant play stuff really loud in this building, so its fine for what i want right now. If i was still in my house, i would want a surround-sound system over this. I dont remember the model number of it, i know BB had 2 different Sammy soundbars, this is the better one.

never take life seriously
post #10204 of 10837 Old 06-07-2014, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post

I now live in a condo building, so i cant play stuff super-loud like i used to. I took my surround-sound and put it in the second bedroom and dont make it real loud, i use it mainly just to get better sound and to plug headphones into the receiver so i can then listen to stuff loud. Also, my wife didnt want a surround-sound in the living room for looks.

So, two months ago when we bought a new Sammy smart tv, i bought a Sammy soundbar with it. Looks fine for my wife, and certainly improves the sound from the tv. No, its not like having a great surround-sound system, but as i said, its an improvement. I still cant play stuff really loud in this building, so its fine for what i want right now. If i was still in my house, i would want a surround-sound system over this. I dont remember the model number of it, i know BB had 2 different Sammy soundbars, this is the better one.

I'm in a similar situation and have looked up those sammy bars. It might be the best option in the living room and move the surround to my office upstairs but that room needs a separate AC unit or else is unusable this time of year.
post #10205 of 10837 Old 06-07-2014, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Quote:

I'm in a similar situation and have looked up those sammy bars. It might be the best option in the living room and move the surround to my office upstairs but that room needs a separate AC unit or else is unusable this time of year.
I had a Yamaha YAS-101 with a small Yamaha sub,it was much better than the tv speakers and really didn't sound bad for under $300.
post #10206 of 10837 Old 06-07-2014, 09:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

We are at peak z.
OK, I'll admit that.
And I'll admit we haven't had a good one in awhile....

But, dang it, I love me some zombies.biggrin.gif
darthrsg likes this.

post #10207 of 10837 Old 06-07-2014, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 208
I would like to buy a sound bar for the living room tv but sadly that is in the WAF neutral zone rolleyes.gif. I will have to massage that idea in for a while but it is more doable than the in wall speaker idea I had. I did hear a sound bar of the vizeo, polk (iirc) and the Klipsch. I liked the Klipsch but it is a bit pricey but the vizeo wasn't bad and better sounding than the tv speakers. Costco has some on sale sometimes.

I am very happy this weekend because I finally have my HT room up and running, it has been over 6 weeks and I am starting to have withdrawals ha! I watch Lone Survivor last night and I know it isn't horror but damn that SEAL team went through a very tough situation! Makeup was handled by KNB effects so it is pretty close to real world cuts/breaks and bruises.

October HorrorFest Participant
post #10208 of 10837 Old 06-07-2014, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Last night I watched the Aussie remake of "Patrick" on DVD which actually has some chills to it. Three and half spitting coma patients. Followed that with "Bad Behavior" which was just added to Hulu. Not a bad little movie (more like a play and probably started out that way) if you can get past the "soap opera look" which I don't know why it has if shot on a Red other than they didn't do post right. I'll give it two and a half evil brothers.
post #10209 of 10837 Old 06-07-2014, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post

I would like to buy a sound bar for the living room tv but sadly that is in the WAF neutral zone rolleyes.gif. I will have to massage that idea in for a while but it is more doable than the in wall speaker idea I had. I did hear a sound bar of the vizeo, polk (iirc) and the Klipsch. I liked the Klipsch but it is a bit pricey but the vizeo wasn't bad and better sounding than the tv speakers. Costco has some on sale sometimes.

I am very happy this weekend because I finally have my HT room up and running, it has been over 6 weeks and I am starting to have withdrawals ha! I watch Lone Survivor last night and I know it isn't horror but damn that SEAL team went through a very tough situation! Makeup was handled by KNB effects so it is pretty close to real world cuts/breaks and bruises.

I think the WAF is go if I want to do full blown install it just doesn't fit the way we are living right now. We'll probably get a bar and simplify the living room then do the "office" with a traditional AVR and proper speakers. It's a smaller room 20x20 with a low vaulted ceiling. You'd be within 6 feet of whatever screen you drop there and I have a somewhat decent AVR to move there. Just have to get the AC upgraded.

Lone Survivor was intense.
BornSlippyZ likes this.
post #10210 of 10837 Old 06-07-2014, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew24963 View Post

I had a Yamaha YAS-101 with a small Yamaha sub,it was much better than the tv speakers and really didn't sound bad for under $300.

Right now I'm driving a 3.1 setup with a Harman Kardon AVR254 and like everything source is key. In this case I'll take clear dialogue over any other ambiance. It's like they forgot how to do that on the big loud stuff.
post #10211 of 10837 Old 06-07-2014, 02:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I'll take clear dialogue over any other ambiance.
Agreed.
There is nothing more irritating than being unable to understand dialogue while watching a movie.
yankeeman likes this.

post #10212 of 10837 Old 06-07-2014, 11:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Devil's Due?
Really?

The Found Footage approach doesn't work worth damn here.
The amount of Suspension of Disbelief the filmmaker asks of the viewer is insulting.
There isn't any way I can be pulled into a movie where the protagonists are actually DUMBER than rocks.
This is a bad BAD movie.

post #10213 of 10837 Old 06-08-2014, 08:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 776
Quote:

Agreed.
There is nothing more irritating than being unable to understand dialogue while watching a movie.

Sound treat your room tongue.gif

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #10214 of 10837 Old 06-08-2014, 10:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Sound treat your room tongue.gif
Good point.
Someday, when I get real big (to quote Neil Young), I will.wink.gif

post #10215 of 10837 Old 06-08-2014, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Devil's Due?
Really?

The Found Footage approach doesn't work worth damn here.
The amount of Suspension of Disbelief the filmmaker asks of the viewer is insulting.
There isn't any way I can be pulled into a movie where the protagonists are actually DUMBER than rocks.
This is a bad BAD movie.
Probably works for those of us who were would-be filmmakers (back in the 8mm days) and also have been shooting video (me since 1991). I'm more interested in seeing how innovative folks can be with the genre than anything else and am still waiting for someone to do a film with a 720p Vivitar video camera sometimes on sale for $20.
post #10216 of 10837 Old 06-08-2014, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

I will admit I like some of the found footage films like the Blair Witch and VHS series.

I saw the commercial for Deliver Us from Evil and man does it look promising!

I needed my horror fix this afternoon so I threw on Event Horizon and noticed something I never did before. Towards the end of the film, there is some strange symbols written in blood in one of the rooms. Never seen that before and wonder who did the writing? Anyhoo, for an older film the audio really kicks and I just love the ebb/flow of this movie. I need to go back and take a screen shot of it...

post #10217 of 10837 Old 06-08-2014, 04:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

Probably works for those of us who were would-be filmmakers (back in the 8mm days) and also have been shooting video (me since 1991). I'm more interested in seeing how innovative folks can be with the genre than anything else and am still waiting for someone to do a film with a 720p Vivitar video camera sometimes on sale for $20.
Well, I have made a film on the Vivatar....but it won't be distributed outside of my pen.tongue.gif

post #10218 of 10837 Old 06-09-2014, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:

You folks use any soundbars?
I do mine in my sig. Love it fits my room for my HTPC set up.
post #10219 of 10837 Old 06-09-2014, 06:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytchone View Post

I do mine in my sig. Love it fits my room for my HTPC set up.
As long as I have my M&Ks and Cerwin-Vegas, I won't be soundbaring.
Ms. Oink KNOWS better than to muck with my beloved sound systems....wink.gif

post #10220 of 10837 Old 06-09-2014, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:

Haha i understand. just at this time when I rebulit my media room sound bar fit me well. I do have a nice 7.1 in my front room where I watch all my horror movies smile.gif
post #10221 of 10837 Old 06-09-2014, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Quote:

I will admit I like some of the found footage films like the Blair Witch and VHS series.

I saw the commercial for Deliver Us from Evil and man does it look promising!

I needed my horror fix this afternoon so I threw on Event Horizon and noticed something I never did before. Towards the end of the film, there is some strange symbols written in blood in one of the rooms. Never seen that before and wonder who did the writing? Anyhoo, for an older film the audio really kicks and I just love the ebb/flow of this movie. I need to go back and take a screen shot of it...
Agreed! I saw a new spot for it catching up on last weeks 24 and man it really looks like it could deliver. The only thing that concerns me from a personal preference standpoint is poorly executed or overused CG (which takes me out of the moment) or climactic ending with splosions. If they can keep those things in check and deliver more of what the trails show this could be the domestic release we've been waiting for since... well I guess since the Conjuring tongue.gifwink.gif

Never notices the symbols from EH but will check in October as that is in regular rotation for the 31 in 31. One of our guests from last years horror movie night where we had several friends over for snacks and scares said the thought The Conjuring would be a bit scarier. I showed her the trailer for Deliver us From Evil and she was very hesitant to commit to watching it. I told her that after her comments last year I felt obligated to show something she will want to unwatch cool.gif
BornSlippyZ likes this.

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

post #10222 of 10837 Old 06-09-2014, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My Klipsch speakers from 2001 still sound great but I'm on my third AV Receiver (needed one with HDMI). The speakers hold their value but AV Receivers keep getting cheaper.
post #10223 of 10837 Old 06-09-2014, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My Klipsch speakers from 2001 still sound great but I'm on my third AV Receiver (needed one with HDMI). The speakers hold their value but AV Receivers keep getting cheaper.

I've noticed that too. Amidst our debate we are more firmly in the full install camp. We've got an ok AVR but could get some really nice speakers installed and update that later. The big hurdle now is an in ceiling center channel. I'm not sold on that. Hopefully the installer has some options.
post #10224 of 10837 Old 06-09-2014, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've noticed that too. Amidst our debate we are more firmly in the full install camp. We've got an ok AVR but could get some really nice speakers installed and update that later. The big hurdle now is an in ceiling center channel. I'm not sold on that. Hopefully the installer has some options.
Make sure you go and hear (demo) the speakers themselves. I bought some speaker craft years ago and used one for a center ceiling. IMO, the center didn't project direct sound unless I was standing directly under it. I know they probably have new speakers that can angle down towards you but just demo them before you buy. Right now I use monoprice ceiling speakers for my surrounds and man they sound pretty good. I only paid $88 dollars for 2x pair of those speakers and it was the best purchase I made from monoprice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

Agreed! I saw a new spot for it catching up on last weeks 24 and man it really looks like it could deliver. The only thing that concerns me from a personal preference standpoint is poorly executed or overused CG (which takes me out of the moment) or climactic ending with splosions. If they can keep those things in check and deliver more of what the trails show this could be the domestic release we've been waiting for since... well I guess since the Conjuring tongue.gifwink.gif

Never notices the symbols from EH but will check in October as that is in regular rotation for the 31 in 31. One of our guests from last years horror movie night where we had several friends over for snacks and scares said the thought The Conjuring would be a bit scarier. I showed her the trailer for Deliver us From Evil and she was very hesitant to commit to watching it. I told her that after her comments last year I felt obligated to show something she will want to unwatch cool.gif

I will take a screen shot of it this week. I too need to catch up on my 24 episodes as well.
Quote:

+1 to keeping your Klipsch's, I have had mine since 1999 but my center probably needs replacing soon.

post #10225 of 10837 Old 06-09-2014, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Make sure you go and hear (demo) the speakers themselves. I bought some speaker craft years ago and used one for a center ceiling. IMO, the center didn't project direct sound unless I was standing directly under it. I know they probably have new speakers that can angle down towards you but just demo them before you buy. Right now I use monoprice ceiling speakers for my surrounds and man they sound pretty good. I only paid $88 dollars for 2x pair of those speakers and it was the best purchase I made from monoprice.

That's what I'm weary of. I get talked down to enough everywhere else, don't need it at home. If in wall is a no go I can use a standard center speaker in my AV stand.
post #10226 of 10837 Old 06-09-2014, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Quote:

I finally feel like I have a half-way decent AVR which has really brought the top end of the spectrum to life in my 7 year old Aperion/HSU rig. Huge difference in the Audyssey results over prior as well. I need to get some new decent pics done for my sig. Really looking forward to the Lone Survivor experience as soon as time allows, perhaps next weekend.

btw - totally OT but I know a few of you lift regularly and was hoping to get some recs on ready-made pre-workout drinks for energy/pump. Feel free to PM me as to not derail but I'd rather get some feedback from ya'll than sort through all the crap on the other forums dedicated to such things.

These were from when we first moved in, things are a bit more settled now.

BornSlippyZ likes this.

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

post #10227 of 10837 Old 06-09-2014, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:

Willow Creek. Pass. Gahddammit.

What happened? Hated or skipped?

The above post is 100% medically accurate

31 Days of Horror:

post #10228 of 10837 Old 06-09-2014, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

Torment trailer is up... could be good

Saw this is available now. Rent or wait a few months? It looks too good!

The above post is 100% medically accurate

31 Days of Horror:

post #10229 of 10837 Old 06-10-2014, 04:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzack View Post

What happened? Hated or skipped?

My Bigfoot movie I posted about here will be superior. This was a bad one.
post #10230 of 10837 Old 06-10-2014, 05:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Speaking of Big Foot, anybody catch that Siberian Yeti show on Discovery? It is where in 1959 a group of campers were attacked by a supposed Yeti. The people died in some strange ways that defy logic.

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page