October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....) - Page 346 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 317Likes

post #10351 of 11019 Old 06-19-2014, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
peace be upon you citizen vertical scope cares

We need that OBEY pic from They Live!

October HorrorFest Participant
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10352 of 11019 Old 06-19-2014, 08:18 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Mount Rushmore of Horror. Pick your four. Go.

Bad Milo
Inbred
The Purge
Teeth

Klipsch RF-82II

Denon 2113ci

post #10353 of 11019 Old 06-20-2014, 02:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Alfred Hitchcock
Vincent Price
Roger Corman
George A. Romero

If this Mt. Rushmore of Horror includes more than just the faces carved in stone, remove any one name from the list above and add Cassandra Peterson.
post #10354 of 11019 Old 06-20-2014, 04:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 750
When did we get stickied?
post #10355 of 11019 Old 06-20-2014, 04:59 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Tobe Hooper
Wes Craven
John Carpenter
George Romero

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #10356 of 11019 Old 06-20-2014, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post
I was just about to post a photo and realized it has to be hosted now also hittinh last page of a thread for the forum doesn't take me to the last post I read anymore. this new forum sucks
Look at the list of topics for this forum and to the left of the name of the topic you should see a down arrow if there are new posts. Click on that. And yes the topic has been a sticky since the beginning of the week.
post #10357 of 11019 Old 06-20-2014, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
Look at the list of topics for this forum and to the left of the name of the topic you should see a down arrow if there are new posts. Click on that. And yes the topic has been a sticky since the beginning of the week.
The image thing sucks though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Steam: Guts
post #10358 of 11019 Old 06-20-2014, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Adding an image as an attachment might be a work around.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2014 - 1.gif
Views:	10
Size:	397.2 KB
ID:	128529

post #10359 of 11019 Old 06-20-2014, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Adding an image as an attachment might be a work around.

Attachment 128529
see what i did there
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3225123.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	128601  
Ken.F likes this.

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

post #10360 of 11019 Old 06-21-2014, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

I was going to mention yesterday that on another topic this way of adding an image was mentioned. Now a "blue" arrow has been added to make it easier for th elderly to find the last unread post (though it says "last post" it went to the last unread).
post #10361 of 11019 Old 06-21-2014, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
I was going to mention yesterday that on another topic this way of adding an image was mentioned. Now a "blue" arrow has been added to make it easier for th elderly to find the last unread post (though it says "last post" it went to the last unread).
I'm reasonably sure it has less to do with the elderly and more with just bad design. At least they are making a good show of tweaking things as they pop up.

post #10362 of 11019 Old 06-22-2014, 02:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
be at peace citizen vertical scope will save you
Increase production, strive to happy...ARGH! I think they are getting to me.
To keep from screaming, keep repeating "It's only software, it's only software...."

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #10363 of 11019 Old 06-22-2014, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 132
I had DVR'ed the movie SPLICE and watched it today. Poor, poorer, and bad. Didnt like it at all. Cant wait for October when i am gonna watch my favorites on dvd.

never take life seriously
post #10364 of 11019 Old 06-22-2014, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quick somebody like this post so I can get 666.
tenthplanet and stevew24963 like this.

post #10365 of 11019 Old 06-23-2014, 01:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Quick somebody like this post so I can get 666.
Do you remember in End of Days when 666 is really 999 flipped around. At any rate I'll bump you up one to 667, you'll be at 999 in no time. Congratulations now and when you get to 999

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #10366 of 11019 Old 06-23-2014, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Had my niece and her bf over Sat and was looking for something horror/thriller/psychological. They had seen many of the more recent titles and I knew something like Triangle would be asking too much (mentally) so I let them browse and read the back covers and they picked Devil's Advocate. They were both impressed and a bit disturbed. Good to know that some of the older ones (is 90's old now?) can still deliver! That is a favorite of mine, just very well done... plenty of breasticles as well

post #10367 of 11019 Old 06-23-2014, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

The 90's feel like yesterday! The Devils Advocate is one catalog title I need to buy, great choice by your niece!

post #10368 of 11019 Old 06-23-2014, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 132
This is nice, wifey out of the house for a few hours, and i threw a horror flick on the new smart tv using Netflix.

Watched Quarantine 2 - Terminal. Starts out on an airplane and extends into a terminal. Pretty good, i enjoyed this a lot. Same basic premise of a virus that makes people into not exactly zombies, more like people with wild rabies.

Dont get bitten!!

never take life seriously
post #10369 of 11019 Old 06-23-2014, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Had my niece and her bf over Sat and was looking for something horror/thriller/psychological. They had seen many of the more recent titles and I knew something like Triangle would be asking too much (mentally) so I let them browse and read the back covers and they picked Devil's Advocate. They were both impressed and a bit disturbed. Good to know that some of the older ones (is 90's old now?) can still deliver! That is a favorite of mine, just very well done... plenty of breasticles as well

Devil's Advocate is a great movie indeed. Good choice.

post #10370 of 11019 Old 06-23-2014, 02:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 76
I've been on vacation and in the midst of preparing for that and taking care of things upon my return; I've been away from the site for awhile. I spent a lot of time skimming through unread posts the last couple of days, but I've been distracted so I apologize if I don't recall who exactly was posting about HTPCs recently. I do have some input on that and would like to have some ongoing discussion if people were willing......

I built my HTPC last year and used some tried and true online tutorials to help with the build and the choice of components. I got everything up and running fairly easily and began ripping all of my movies. I got through all of my dvds and a few of my blu-rays before my project came to a screeching halt. The problem was my video quality. I set things up as I was supposed to and did some tweaking here and there to maximize picture quality; however, I could not get my ripped movies to look as good the physical discs. I ripped everything as ISOs and was attempting to use XBMC as my interface/player. According to some folks, I should be seeing a perfect picture, but there is no doubt that I was not. I guess it could be the fact that I'm using a projector and blowing the image up to 106" and maybe other folks were mostly using tvs, but even so, I feel like there is more that could be done to get a better quality picture. Unfortunately, I haven't picked the project back up again and I honestly kind of forgot about it until I read some recent posts on this thread. So, for those that are happy with their HTPC....do you mind posting what hardware/software you are using to catalog and/or play your movies??? I'm interested to pick up some new ideas.

post #10371 of 11019 Old 06-23-2014, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew24963 View Post
Watched In Fear the other night,all in all not a bad movie plus we had a wicked thunderstorm to add to the atmosphere.
I liked that one myself and it has one of the better ending shots in recent horror movie history. The nerdy guy from Marvel's Agents of Shield has a completely different type of role in it.

(last update: July 30, 2014)

post #10372 of 11019 Old 06-23-2014, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Not sure if anyone else is going but I will be seeing Deliver Us From Evil either Wed 7/2 when it is released or Thurs 7/3. Not that I didn't enjoy How To Train Your Dragon 2 yesterday but am ready for a proper adult flick!

post #10373 of 11019 Old 06-24-2014, 02:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Not sure if anyone else is going but I will be seeing Deliver Us From Evil either Wed 7/2 when it is released or Thurs 7/3. Not that I didn't enjoy How To Train Your Dragon 2 yesterday but am ready for a proper adult flick!
I'm thinking Deliver Us From Evil would be a good film for the October everyone watch night, let us know how it is, the trailer seemed pretty unnevring ( which in this thread is a good thing)

post #10374 of 11019 Old 06-24-2014, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Red flags for errrryone that didn't suggest Showtime's Penny Dreadful. Shame on you scoundrels.

post #10375 of 11019 Old 06-24-2014, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloCreed View Post
I've been on vacation and in the midst of preparing for that and taking care of things upon my return; I've been away from the site for awhile. I spent a lot of time skimming through unread posts the last couple of days, but I've been distracted so I apologize if I don't recall who exactly was posting about HTPCs recently. I do have some input on that and would like to have some ongoing discussion if people were willing......

I built my HTPC last year and used some tried and true online tutorials to help with the build and the choice of components. I got everything up and running fairly easily and began ripping all of my movies. I got through all of my dvds and a few of my blu-rays before my project came to a screeching halt. The problem was my video quality. I set things up as I was supposed to and did some tweaking here and there to maximize picture quality; however, I could not get my ripped movies to look as good the physical discs. I ripped everything as ISOs and was attempting to use XBMC as my interface/player. According to some folks, I should be seeing a perfect picture, but there is no doubt that I was not. I guess it could be the fact that I'm using a projector and blowing the image up to 106" and maybe other folks were mostly using tvs, but even so, I feel like there is more that could be done to get a better quality picture. Unfortunately, I haven't picked the project back up again and I honestly kind of forgot about it until I read some recent posts on this thread. So, for those that are happy with their HTPC....do you mind posting what hardware/software you are using to catalog and/or play your movies??? I'm interested to pick up some new ideas.
It would seem that if there is any "transcoding" in the mix you will take a hit on quality. As for our house and use case that hit is trumped by convenience and less garbage oozing from the screen.

I used a dlna server called Serviio and had fantastic quality but the user interface was not helpful in keeping the wife on board for cord cutting. I still use it as I can control subtitles. We decided on Plex and have been very pleased but I can see the PQ difference. As for software MakeMKV and Handbrake are the go to's for me. It's understood that any conversion will cause compression artifacts and I wind up with a file that looks superior to anything on D* HD and slightly less than perfect from a Blu. If you have the storage space then you can't go wrong with the mkv it's 1:1.

post #10376 of 11019 Old 06-24-2014, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

I think Brian Conrad mentioned Penny Dreadful and the first episode was pretty good!

post #10377 of 11019 Old 06-24-2014, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes I mentioned that the pilot of Showtime's "Penny Dreadful" was available on the Showtime YouTube channel. I wish more networks would do this. I'll be glad when the Premium channel contracts run out with the cable and satellite providers as they are leaving money on the table by not being able to make episodes available the day after on streaming services.

In the meantime if any of you want to try my latest casual game out "Crash the Drone!" is available free on Google Play for Android and on Clay.io for everything else including desktop browsers. Have fun!
post #10378 of 11019 Old 06-24-2014, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post
I think Brian Conrad mentioned Penny Dreadful and the first episode was pretty good!
Well then he don't get no red flag.

post #10379 of 11019 Old 06-24-2014, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Three American friends hospitalized after becoming 'possessed' following Ouija board game in Mexican village

post #10380 of 11019 Old 06-24-2014, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Paranormal Activity 9: The Ones In Rehab
ApolloCreed and BornSlippyZ like this.

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page