October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....) - Page 349 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 244Likes

post #10441 of 10846 Old 07-07-2014, 06:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Looks like a must see to me. Based on the improvements from 1 to 2, I'm looking forward to this next one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10442 of 10846 Old 07-08-2014, 03:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 725
I think someone watched Odd Thomas and liked it. I second that. Pretty good little movie in the vein of Frighteners.
post #10443 of 10846 Old 07-08-2014, 04:29 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 73
^^^ I've seen that on NF but haven't been able to pull the trigger.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #10444 of 10846 Old 07-08-2014, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

larry
For sure it's a b movie but it had a good story and some nice effects sequences. Didn't know it was a Dean Koontz story until after I saw it. Yelchin does a fine job along side DaFoe.
post #10445 of 10846 Old 07-08-2014, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 141
All Cheerleaders Die
DVD and Blu-ray release isn't until July 22 but it's at Redbox on DVD now.

post #10446 of 10846 Old 07-08-2014, 08:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

larry
Me too.
post #10447 of 10846 Old 07-08-2014, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
For sure it's a b movie but it had a good story and some nice effects sequences. Didn't know it was a Dean Koontz story until after I saw it. Yelchin does a fine job along side DaFoe.
It's been in my queue for a while but like Larry just haven't felt like giving it a go. I swear, this job out of town is killing my movie time (among other things). My list of want to see is starting to feel un-achievable! I felt like some dumb fun last night and the missus was working upstairs so I rented Robocop, what a piece of steaming crap. The writer and director should both suffer for such a failed opportunity to do something new with that story.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
All Cheerleaders Die
DVD and Blu-ray release isn't until July 22 but it's at Redbox on DVD now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBB6GpmT4kY
discount The Craft sequel?

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

post #10448 of 10846 Old 07-08-2014, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Not a movie but the WGN series "Salem" has been excellent. The actor who plays the senior reverend just knocks it out of the ballpark and does an award winning performance.
post #10449 of 10846 Old 07-08-2014, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post
discount The Craft sequel?
That's too funny. I just watched The Craft on Netflix before posting that. It's been a very long time since I've seen it. I didn't remember Robin Tunney being in it but Fairuza Balk is unforgettable. I don't know what it is about her. She's kinda strange looking but hot at the same time. Vicki Vallencourt really is the Devil!

I reserved a copy of All Cheerleaders Die at Redbox online. I went to pick it up but the kiosk wouldn't read my credit card. I called the help phone number that's printed on the kiosk and they told me they couldn't cancel the reservation and I'd still be charged for the movie, but they did gave me a movie credit. After work I went across town to a different Redbox and used my "free" movie credit to rent it.
post #10450 of 10846 Old 07-09-2014, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 208
I agree Kenobi about the new Robocop, the only positive thing about the movie was Gary Oldman, other than that MGM made a stinker of a movie.

My mother in law sent me some BDs she picked up at garage sales in her neighborhood, one of them was the movie The Last House on the Left remake. I watched a little bit of it yesterday and I prefer the original one, but the remake is pretty good on BD.

I noticed Hemlock Grove is out on BD and I think I might have to check that out or on Netflix in Oct.

October HorrorFest Participant
post #10451 of 10846 Old 07-09-2014, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
That's too funny. I just watched The Craft on Netflix before posting that. It's been a very long time since I've seen it. I didn't remember Robin Tunney being in it but Fairuza Balk is unforgettable. I don't know what it is about her. She's kinda strange looking but hot at the same time. Vicki Vallencourt really is the Devil!

I reserved a copy of All Cheerleaders Die at Redbox online. I went to pick it up but the kiosk wouldn't read my credit card. I called the help phone number that's printed on the kiosk and they told me they couldn't cancel the reservation and I'd still be charged for the movie, but they did gave me a movie credit. After work I went across town to a different Redbox and used my "free" movie credit to rent it.
I had problems with a credit card reader on a RB kiosk at the nearby supermarket. The manager said people were having problems. Fortunately I wasn't doing a reserve with it. Apparently the reader was replaced because it works okay now.
post #10452 of 10846 Old 07-09-2014, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post
^That movie sounds cool! I will check that one out in Oct!

You guys talking about Wolf Creek2 gave me motivation to see if it was at RB, well it wasn't so I rented Afflicted on DVD instead. For a found footage film, it was decent (3 Super strong Zombies) and worth a rent for the Oct pile. I also had time to play with the setting on my PJ and now I know why people pay $200+ dollars or more to get it calibrated. After a few hours I got the black level pretty darn good for this Pj and watching AVPR was a fantastic test with all of the dark scenes in that film. I can finally see in detail what is going on in the darker scenes!

Anybody here buying Cannibal Holocaust on BD? Lake Placid is also coming out this week from Shout that looks pretty cool!
Been out of town on vacation for a while and getting caught up and just read the Cannibal Holocaust review on bluray.com. I still haven't seen this and not sure how much replay it would have but would certainly add an edge to the bluray collection.

Quote:
I like both of those guys and have added to my 2014 Octoberfest spreadsheet of potential movies.

Quote:
I agree Kenobi about the new Robocop, the only positive thing about the movie was Gary Oldman, other than that MGM made a stinker of a movie.
I watched the new Robocop and then the original a night later. The original is kind of what I cut my teeth on many years ago and set a standard, to me, of what a smart, brutal, intense scifi movie should be. That said, I enjoyed the new one as a completely different pg13 offering. Can't compare to the original, but was a good enough 90 minutes. Kind of like the Total Recall redux, though I like the TR redux better. Are they as good, or intense, as the originals? Heck no, but VERY few movies since they were made can match these classics imho.
BornSlippyZ likes this.

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #10453 of 10846 Old 07-09-2014, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

I try and go into most films with an open mind/heart and I realize that most of these remakes are more studio ran than director ran (aka PG13). But films like Robocop and the next MGM remake will be Poltergeist, are near and dear to me, I just want them to do a great job or don't do it at all.

I heard GDT might get the HP Lovecraft book Mountain of Madness made into a movie. Legendary might back it but it might have to be PG13. GDT says he can probably do it, but it will be a challenge.

post #10454 of 10846 Old 07-10-2014, 02:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
I try and go into most films with an open mind/heart and I realize that most of these remakes are more studio ran than director ran (aka PG13). But films like Robocop and the next MGM remake will be Poltergeist, are near and dear to me, I just want them to do a great job or don't do it at all.

I heard GDT might get the HP Lovecraft book Mountain of Madness made into a movie. Legendary might back it but it might have to be PG13. GDT says he can probably do it, but it will be a challenge.
It's all about the story. There are more than a few R rated films
that use blood and cursing to hide a story with nothing to it. GDT can deliver if Legendary will come through with the money. Remember Universal shot this down once before on it's own.
GoCaboNow and BornSlippyZ like this.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #10455 of 10846 Old 07-10-2014, 05:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Agreed!

GDT is a great story teller and if it is anyone in horror that can do a really hard PG13/great story telling, it would be him.
GoCaboNow likes this.

post #10456 of 10846 Old 07-10-2014, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
It's all about the story. There are more than a few R rated films
that use blood and cursing to hide a story with nothing to it. GDT can deliver if Legendary will come through with the money. Remember Universal shot this down once before on it's own.
I think the original quote from GDT of Mountain of Madness having to be R rated was from almost a decade ago and I think the glitter of Hollywood is making him come around to PG13 thinking for this. One would think the R nature for MOM would be the slaughter and vivisection parts, and he wants to show that these creatures mean business. The hard part would be doing this on a low budget without looking hokie. Without Cameron involved, they would have to project something around 100-120 million box office imo.

Seems like the only way the studios are going to greenlight an expensive movie any more is if it will have international appeal or is tied to a successful teeny bopper book with romance in it.
BornSlippyZ likes this.

post #10457 of 10846 Old 07-10-2014, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah the animal and human dissections will be hard to pass even a hard PG13. GDT listens to his fans so maybe he will get a loan from Cameron to get this done. Or Legendary says ok you made Pacific Rim 1/2, they have been a huge hit (I assuming PR2 will be a hit internationally), here is your money for an R sci/horror movie.
GoCaboNow likes this.

post #10458 of 10846 Old 07-10-2014, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post
I watched the new Robocop and then the original a night later. The original is kind of what I cut my teeth on many years ago and set a standard, to me, of what a smart, brutal, intense scifi movie should be. That said, I enjoyed the new one as a completely different pg13 offering. Can't compare to the original, but was a good enough 90 minutes. Kind of like the Total Recall redux, though I like the TR redux better. Are they as good, or intense, as the originals? Heck no, but VERY few movies since they were made can match these classics imho.
Well lets be fair here, the win in the new TR starts and stops with Kate Beckinsale [/drool] Aside from that at least it took the futuristic cityscape backdrop to a new level and had solid leads in the film to carry it through its shortcomings.

Robocop did not feel set in the future after he left China. The actor was mediocre at best and it gave us really no one to hate . The Clarence Bonniger replacement was a total wuss with no teeth and batman was far less malicious than Dick Jones. I just felt like they didn't do anything new with the story and the elements that worked in the last one were not celebrated or re-invented.

Quote:

Poltergeist will be a failure 100% guaranteed. I really don't see how the original could be matched with any re-creation that would undoubtedly rely more on CG than bonding with a likable family and building tension with people the audience has connected with. Besides, I don't see a face peeling off scene passing the PG-13 nazi's.
GoCaboNow and BornSlippyZ like this.

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

post #10459 of 10846 Old 07-10-2014, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yeah the animal and human dissections will be hard to pass even a hard PG13. GDT listens to his fans so maybe he will get a loan from Cameron to get this done. Or Legendary says ok you made Pacific Rim 1/2, they have been a huge hit (I assuming PR2 will be a hit internationally), here is your money for an R sci/horror movie.
I really enjoyed Pacific Rim and did not feel dumbed down like the Transformer movies. Would love to see what GDT could do with a decent budget Scifi horror movie as well!
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post
Well lets be fair here, the win in the new TR starts and stops with Kate Beckinsale [/drool] Aside from that at least it took the futuristic cityscape backdrop to a new level and had solid leads in the film to carry it through its shortcomings.

Robocop did not feel set in the future after he left China. The actor was mediocre at best and it gave us really no one to hate . The Clarence Bonniger replacement was a total wuss with no teeth and batman was far less malicious than Dick Jones. I just felt like they didn't do anything new with the story and the elements that worked in the last one were not celebrated or re-invented.

Poltergeist will be a failure 100% guaranteed. I really don't see how the original could be matched with any re-creation that would undoubtedly rely more on CG than bonding with a likable family and building tension with people the audience has connected with. Besides, I don't see a face peeling off scene passing the PG-13 nazi's.
Agreed on all points. I just get so starved for sci fi, or horror, with good production values that even mediocre, pg13 movies are enjoyable - as long as there are not TOO MANY face palms. LOL.
yankeeman and BornSlippyZ like this.

post #10460 of 10846 Old 07-10-2014, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

GDT's the "The Strain" debuts Sunday night on FX.
post #10461 of 10846 Old 07-10-2014, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
GDT's the "The Strain" debuts Sunday night on FX.
I'm pretty curious and excited for this. Maybe one day GDT can also make a great movie.
post #10462 of 10846 Old 07-10-2014, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Good reminder about the Strain Brian!
ApolloCreed likes this.

post #10463 of 10846 Old 07-10-2014, 12:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I'm pretty curious and excited for this. Maybe one day GDT can also make a great movie.

You weren't much of a fan of Pan's Labyrinth or The Orphanage?
post #10464 of 10846 Old 07-10-2014, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloCreed View Post
You weren't much of a fan of Pan's Labyrinth or The Orphanage?

I liked them a lot but not enough to rave and sing his praises Like a Whedon fanboy. I know he has it in him.
post #10465 of 10846 Old 07-11-2014, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I liked them a lot but not enough to rave and sing his praises Like a Whedon fanboy. I know he has it in him.
I always remind my younger cousins that are uber fans of Whedon that he wrote the not so great movie Alien Resurrection.

My local RB had WC2 on dvd but I am going to save that for October, but the suitable sub albeit not Horror, but plenty of blood is The Raid 2.

post #10466 of 10846 Old 07-11-2014, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I always remind my younger cousins that are uber fans of Whedon that he wrote the not so great movie Alien Resurrection.

My local RB had WC2 on dvd but I am going to save that for October, but the suitable sub albeit not Horror, but plenty of blood is The Raid 2.

I think I got banned here for saying that.
post #10467 of 10846 Old 07-11-2014, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Are you serious?! Ha! Well he did write it and it is, what it is! I think the Avengers movie was ok, but I honestly enjoyed XMen Days of Future Past more.

post #10468 of 10846 Old 07-11-2014, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Are you serious?! Ha! Well he did write it and it is, what it is! I think the Avengers movie was ok, but I honestly enjoyed XMen Days of Future Past more.
Yep, got one for talking about a topic on a show and then the show did a whole episode on that topic. This a is a real funny place sometimes.
post #10469 of 10846 Old 07-11-2014, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am saving both WC's and Afflicted for October. Not because I think they are extra special but am a little concerned with how much decent, new content I might have and want to get some titles set.

The Raid was fun and Raid 2 is on my radar as well. In the Blood is showing up for this weekend. Gina Caruno kicks butt and would be fun to see her in a horror flic - and put up a fight against whatever spirit, slasher, animated doll...

Quote:
I am not a Whedon fb and you can see alot of his style in Resurrection. His banter with no chills, does not fit the Alien universe well imo. I did like Avengers. I think folks get sick of it's success because of all the praise, and box office it received, when it is not the 2nd coming or anything. But that's the point. Avengers is just a competent, summer blockbuster and manages spectacle with decent characterization, writing and minimal face palms. Transformers franchise has too many face palms, poor characterization and bad, poorly concieved attempts at humor. It's not about "shutting your brain off it's a Bay movie". It's his style of trying to make it as low brow as possible and too many wtf's that take me out of the film. I'm no prude. Nobody embraces bathroom humor, and action over substance more than me. But his crap, and MANY other "blockbusters", do not deliver on even a minimal level for story etc. Avengers did, and was rewarded - about as much as Bay movies were...
BornSlippyZ likes this.

post #10470 of 10846 Old 07-11-2014, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

I saw Evil Dead (2013) on DVD in the $4.99 discount bin at Best Buy today. Made me a little sad to see it there so soon.
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page