October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....) - Page 352 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1106Likes

post #10531 of 11718 Old 07-20-2014, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post
Any of you guys seen these movies and are they worthy of the Oct Pile?

Malefique 2002

Red, White and Blue 2010, I heard this was more of a revenge thriller but one of the characters deeds is pretty horrifying.

Society 1989

Dream House 2010

7 Days 2010

Red, White and Blue is indeed a good revenge thriller. Disturbing, but not really horror as you have heard.

Dream House is one that I need to rewatch. It was on HBO some time back but I wasn't really paying attention as I thought I had seen it before. Turns out that I hadn't and I missed much of what was going on. From what I saw, it looked interesting enough to warrant a shot in October.
BornSlippyZ likes this.

Last edited by ApolloCreed; 07-20-2014 at 11:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10532 of 11718 Old 07-20-2014, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 891
Ejected Hell Baby. Zero whatevers out of whatever.

Did a rewatch of I Spit On Your Grave on Friday night and it maintains status as a classic. For Saturday I did Day Of The Dead. It's always been a slow starter for me but easily has one of the best single zombies of the genre and the last half hour goes to eleven. Bub the zombie is a God tier performance up there with Harry of the Hendersons and is miles beyond modern darling Serkis.
post #10533 of 11718 Old 07-20-2014, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
I was thinking the same thing, what did happen?

My summer has been ridiculously busy so I've only been on here occasionally. Obviously, I'm out of the loop as well. Considering that he was one of the most active guys in this thread, one can't help but be very curious as to what occurred. I checked his most recent posts and his last post was June 21?? I know that can't be right. Were all his recent posts deleted??
post #10534 of 11718 Old 07-20-2014, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloCreed View Post
My summer has been ridiculously busy so I've only been on here occasionally. Obviously, I'm out of the loop as well. Considering that he was one of the most active guys in this thread, one can't help but be very curious as to what occurred. I checked his most recent posts and his last post was June 21?? I know that can't be right. Were all his recent posts deleted??
At the risk of being banned and in so many words it is basically a situation where a certain group gets to post whatever they want about whatever they want to post about and some don't.
post #10535 of 11718 Old 07-20-2014, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
At the risk of being banned and in so many words it is basically a situation where a certain group gets to post whatever they want about whatever they want to post about and some don't.
I didn't know it had come to thay. I know he was active in a lot of threads, guess he crossed the wrong person. Thats a shame, I enjoyed the banter. RIP Oink, I can only hope you Oinked AVS before they Oinked you.
post #10536 of 11718 Old 07-20-2014, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew24963 View Post
I didn't know it had come to thay. I know he was active in a lot of threads, guess he crossed the wrong person. Thats a shame, I enjoyed the banter. RIP Oink, I can only hope you Oinked AVS before they Oinked you.
Yeah, I've seen it with not just him but haven't really had it happen to me but the thought of leaving the forum has crossed my mind.
post #10537 of 11718 Old 07-20-2014, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 149
I suppose you've all seen "Under the Skin" by now but I'm a cheapskate and waited for it to arrive at Redbox. Really a different film, more sci-fi than horror but quite different. The featurettes were interesting and surprising. I'll give it four stars but I'm not sure it would suit everyone here. And now I'll check out it's own thread.
post #10538 of 11718 Old 07-20-2014, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yeah, I've seen it with not just him but haven't really had it happen to me but the thought of leaving the forum has crossed my mind.
Agreed, with the new format, it too has made me slow down here.
post #10539 of 11718 Old 07-20-2014, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 280
I sent Oink a PM telling him he is missed from this thread and I hoped he would pop in for Oct.

I watched Alien (extended edition) and I never noticed towards the end of the movie. Ripley and Jonesy were trying to evade the Alien, Ripley leaves the cat in the carrier on the floor, scared Ripley runs off leaving Jonesy to become fodder for the Alien. The Alien looks at the Jonesy in the carrier and whacks it out of the way! I had no distractions and a quiet house so I also noticed how many different subtle sounds is on that disc and that scene!

Other movie I watched was a documentary on old shocker type drivers ed movies from the 50's and 60's. They showed actual accidents with either hurt, screaming or dead people. Really interesting and I wonder if they would have any effect if they were shown these days? I liked the commentary of the old drivers ed films because it sounded like the same guy that used to narrate the previews to horror/thriller/action movies of the past, with deep, cold, monotone voice.

October HorrorFest Participant
post #10540 of 11718 Old 07-20-2014, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Speaking of docs, on Netflix Instant is one called Doc of the Dead. Nothing earth shattering but worth a spin as background noise.
post #10541 of 11718 Old 07-20-2014, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Speaking of docs, on Netflix Instant is one called Doc of the Dead. Nothing earth shattering but worth a spin as background noise.
Now that's a ringing endorsement !!
post #10542 of 11718 Old 07-20-2014, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post
Now that's a ringing endorsement !!

If you're a new zombie fan this will give you all the words you need to get by on the internet as an expert.

Usually I like docs to see if they show clips from a flick I've not seen but this doesn't have any. Only Romero, Pegg, and Savini are standouts.
post #10543 of 11718 Old 07-21-2014, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Quote:
Quote:
Agreed, with the new format, it too has made me slow down here.
I used to be more active in other forums but just too much douchebaggery. Now I check the occasional review from Ralph and this thread
darthrsg likes this.

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

post #10544 of 11718 Old 07-21-2014, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
They can't all be 'Frankenstein's Army' But since we are talking Norwegian titles what ones have you found to be bit more creepy?
Cold Prey, Dead Snow, Trollhunter, Rare Exports and Saint come to mind with varying creepiness and tone. Not the holy grail, but not bad at all. The foriegn element is also on display and adds to the vibe.

Any Alien fans or Prometheus haters out there?
http://whatculture.com/film/10-reaso...ed-alien-5.php

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #10545 of 11718 Old 07-21-2014, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I watched Doc of the Dead Saturday night and followed up with Cockneys vs Zombies,just for the hell of it.
GoCaboNow likes this.
post #10546 of 11718 Old 07-21-2014, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post
Cold Prey, Dead Snow, Trollhunter, Rare Exports and Saint come to mind with varying creepiness and tone. Not the holy grail, but not bad at all. The foriegn element is also on display and adds to the vibe.

I'm both and TBH I think the franchise needs either a totally new direction or a break. I'm a huge fan of Alien and Aliens and mostly enjoy AVPR but other than that I think the franchise is over-saturated with too much garbage, diluting the things that made the other great. Prometheus is what awesome looks like when its molested by a hack
GoCaboNow likes this.

My Rig

post #10547 of 11718 Old 07-21-2014, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post
Had my niece and her bf over Sat and was looking for something horror/thriller/psychological. They had seen many of the more recent titles and I knew something like Triangle would be asking too much (mentally) so I let them browse and read the back covers and they picked Devil's Advocate. They were both impressed and a bit disturbed. Good to know that some of the older ones (is 90's old now?) can still deliver! That is a favorite of mine, just very well done... plenty of breasticles as well
Checked Devil's Advocate over the weekend. I guess I have seen bits and pieces on TV but never sat down for the entire, un-edited version. This was alot of fun! Keanu was freaking fantastic in this. Maybe he was just average, but for him it came across as fantastic - lol. Never realized Charlize Theron was the wifey in this. Love to come across these well made flics from the past. Ones that I missed at the time, or are under appreciated by me for some reason.

post #10548 of 11718 Old 07-21-2014, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'm both and TBH I think the franchise needs either a totally new direction or a break. I'm a huge fan of Alien and Aliens and mostly enjoy AVPR but other than that I think the franchise is over-saturated with too much garbage, diluting the things that made the other great. Prometheus is what awesome looks like when its molested by a hack
But over saturated with garbage is what the cool kids like. Look at how they ruined Doctor Who.
post #10549 of 11718 Old 07-21-2014, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
But over saturated with garbage is what the cool kids like. Look at how they ruined Doctor Who.
Do I have to?

My Rig

post #10550 of 11718 Old 07-21-2014, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I watched Doc of the Dead Saturday night and followed up with Cockneys vs Zombies,just for the hell of it.
As a media owner of Cockneys Vs Zombies, looks like I need to check out Doc of the Dead.
Quote:
I did Blade Runner a few weeks ago and the opening music is so similar to Prometheus (the way I remember). That opening scene is so awesome with the vistas, music and then space ship. But the engineer looked too fake to me and I should have known that it was going to take a lot of face palms to get through the movie. The countless face palms were disappointing, but I still enjoyed the good parts - until I read the Spaights script. Was then I saw Scott took out most of the horror/action elements and replaced with faith. The penis snake is still in Spaights' script but is written so that you understand WHY he let his guard down and then was distracted as the snake turned menacing. NOT how Ridley portrayed it. RS dropped the ball on Prometheus imo. That said, I will still go see Prometheus 2 or Alien 5 or whatever. Still believe...
BornSlippyZ likes this.

post #10551 of 11718 Old 07-21-2014, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Doc of the Dead is for elite level Chris Hardwick fans. Knock yourself out.
post #10552 of 11718 Old 07-21-2014, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This article sites part of an old story way back when Alien cubed was going through it death throws with writing/development and different directors opting out of the job iirc. Hearing this Ridley and Cameron offered to help by either directing/writing deals. I would love to see this happen but Cameron is really busy with Avatar and hopefully Battle Angel after that, Ridley is busy as well with future films possibly BladeRunner 2?

As for Prometheus I enjoyed the movie but I recognize it's 'faults' or problems and there are other films in the franchise that are worse IMO. I am looking forward to seeing Paradise and I hope it is really good.

I agree with you Kenobi and Darth that when you are on certain forums for a while you definitely figure out the ones that make the experience crappy.

post #10553 of 11718 Old 07-21-2014, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post

Other movie I watched was a documentary on old shocker type drivers ed movies from the 50's and 60's. They showed actual accidents with either hurt, screaming or dead people. Really interesting and I wonder if they would have any effect if they were shown these days? I liked the commentary of the old drivers ed films because it sounded like the same guy that used to narrate the previews to horror/thriller/action movies of the past, with deep, cold, monotone voice.
Those sound like real horror movies
BornSlippyZ likes this.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #10554 of 11718 Old 07-22-2014, 01:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:

I've heard of of the first few, I'll have to look into Saint.
I like both Alien and Prometheus. One reason Alien 5 won't happen,
Older Fan Base not big theater attenders = Fox won't make back the budget and it will never be made.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #10555 of 11718 Old 07-22-2014, 03:59 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Signal 30 is what they showed us in 8th grade health class which was 1969. It was kinda like a rite of passage at the time.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #10556 of 11718 Old 07-22-2014, 04:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post
Signal 30 is what they showed us in 8th grade health class which was 1969. It was kinda like a rite of passage at the time.

larry
Signal 30 is available at archive.org:
https://archive.org/details/0869_Signal_30_07_00_59_00
BornSlippyZ likes this.
post #10557 of 11718 Old 07-22-2014, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The screams were worse than the actual visuals of the accidents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

larry
Yep, the documentary shows that Signal 30 film and talks about how they made that film, it is on Amazon streaming for those interested in it. I don't remember what they showed in my drivers ed, but this film still impacted me when I watched it a few days ago. Some gnarly stuff that is for sure.

post #10558 of 11718 Old 07-22-2014, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Doc of the Dead is for elite level Chris Hardwick fans. Knock yourself out.
You mean rich millennials who live in San Francisco and take the Google Bus to work?

I've got most of Romero's movies on BD and there are some excellent extras not to mention commentaries.
post #10559 of 11718 Old 07-22-2014, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Another for the pile, in select theaters and VOD 9/21:

Honeymoon

BornSlippyZ likes this.

My Rig

post #10560 of 11718 Old 07-22-2014, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

I would also like to present some worthy movies for the pile!

Animal

and last but not least ANNABELLE!

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page