October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....) - Page 354 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8746Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #10591 of 22893 Old 07-26-2014, 05:50 AM
Moderator
Moderator
 
PooperScooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Leominster MA
Posts: 21,722
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 4073
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post

I know some people watch that Showtime show Penny Dreadful with the beautiful Eva Green, well I watched another movie with her in it, 300 Rise of an Empire. I know not horror but tons of blood and dismemberment, and Eva topless! Worth the rent guys!
Pffffftt. Check out The Dreamers.

larry

And the pantaloon duck, white gooseneck quacked: Webcor, Webcor
PooperScooper is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #10592 of 22893 Old 07-26-2014, 06:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BornSlippyZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Minnesota!
Posts: 3,785
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1629 Post(s)
Liked: 1298
^Gonna check that out ASAP!
BornSlippyZ is offline  
post #10593 of 22893 Old 07-26-2014, 06:11 AM
Moderator
Moderator
 
PooperScooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Leominster MA
Posts: 21,722
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 4073
It's not a horror movie, but I doubt you'll be disappointed.

larry

And the pantaloon duck, white gooseneck quacked: Webcor, Webcor
PooperScooper is offline  
 
post #10594 of 22893 Old 07-26-2014, 01:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
stevew24963's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Boca Raton,Fla.
Posts: 5,366
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1936 Post(s)
Liked: 2066
Those with D TV can look forward to the Romero -thon @ 9:00 on ch.341, ElRey Network.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
stevew24963 is offline  
post #10595 of 22893 Old 07-27-2014, 02:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Brian Conrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Martinez, CA, USA
Posts: 6,403
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1427 Post(s)
Liked: 746
13 Sins on Netflix WI is not quite horror but more dark comedy and weird enough for folks here. Would have been better without the Saturday night network clogging.
Brian Conrad is offline  
post #10596 of 22893 Old 07-27-2014, 06:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BornSlippyZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Minnesota!
Posts: 3,785
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1629 Post(s)
Liked: 1298
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew24963 View Post
Those with D TV can look forward to the Romero -thon @ 9:00 on ch.341, ElRey Network.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
i had that channel on a free preview and it was pretty cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
13 Sins on Netflix WI is not quite horror but more dark comedy and weird enough for folks here. Would have been better without the Saturday night network clogging.
Sounds up my alley!


Zombies Halloween on IFC now and later after Pitch Black.
BornSlippyZ is offline  
post #10597 of 22893 Old 07-29-2014, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
GoCaboNow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,883
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 864 Post(s)
Liked: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post

Zombies Halloween on IFC now and later after Pitch Black.
That reminds me I need to keep an eye on a Riddick trilogy bluray, or three separates this fall. The first and third would have been better with more of a horror tone to them, but still guilty pleasures.
BornSlippyZ likes this.

Location: Beaverton, Oregon
My Dedicated Home Theater Room
GoCaboNow is offline  
post #10598 of 22893 Old 07-29-2014, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Kain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Dubai, UAE
Posts: 3,351
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Just watched Alien Abduction. Surprisingly, I enjoyed it quite a bit!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2510434/
BornSlippyZ likes this.
Kain is offline  
post #10599 of 22893 Old 07-29-2014, 01:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BornSlippyZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Minnesota!
Posts: 3,785
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1629 Post(s)
Liked: 1298
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post
That reminds me I need to keep an eye on a Riddick trilogy bluray, or three separates this fall. The first and third would have been better with more of a horror tone to them, but still guilty pleasures.
I agree and I always watch these movies when they are on tv.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post
Just watched Alien Abduction. Surprisingly, I enjoyed it quite a bit!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2510434/
ADDED to the PILE! Every time I see previews like this I want to go all 'Private Hudson' on those bastards, even if it does little to no good!
BornSlippyZ is offline  
post #10600 of 22893 Old 07-29-2014, 05:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
yankeeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: SOUTH FLORIDA
Posts: 2,825
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Who is ready for Sharknado-2????? Its coming on, but i cant watch it or DVR it on its first showing due to conflicts, but its on again i think Saturday (not sure), and i got the DVR already set to record it then. I may not get a chance to watch it for a few weeks as i will be going on vacation at the end of next week, but i WILL watch it as soon as i get the chance. Cant wait.

never take life seriously
yankeeman is offline  
post #10601 of 22893 Old 07-29-2014, 05:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
stevew24963's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Boca Raton,Fla.
Posts: 5,366
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1936 Post(s)
Liked: 2066
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post
Who is ready for Sharknado-2????? Its coming on, but i cant watch it or DVR it on its first showing due to conflicts, but its on again i think Saturday (not sure), and i got the DVR already set to record it then. I may not get a chance to watch it for a few weeks as i will be going on vacation at the end of next week, but i WILL watch it as soon as i get the chance. Cant wait.
I think the only Sharknado fan is no longer with us, but I'll give it a watch. Enjoy your vacation.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
yankeeman likes this.
stevew24963 is offline  
post #10602 of 22893 Old 07-29-2014, 07:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ken.F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: West Rockhill, PA
Posts: 4,234
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1474 Post(s)
Liked: 1257
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post
Who is ready for Sharknado-2????? Its coming on, but i cant watch it or DVR it on its first showing due to conflicts, but its on again i think Saturday (not sure), and i got the DVR already set to record it then.
It's on SyFy twice on Wednesday (9:00 and 11:00 PM) and Saturday at 7:00 PM. All times Eastern.

Don't forget the Sharknado Party Kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew24963 View Post
I think the only Sharknado fan is no longer with us, but I'll give it a watch.
Maybe the other only Sharknado fan is no longer with us but I'm still here.
yankeeman likes this.
Ken.F is offline  
post #10603 of 22893 Old 07-29-2014, 08:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tenthplanet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, West of desert
Posts: 2,720
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
It's on SyFy twice on Wednesday (9:00 and 11:00 PM) and Saturday at 7:00 PM. All times Eastern.

Don't forget the Sharknado Party Kit.


Maybe the other only Sharknado fan is no longer with us but I'm still here.
Times posted for Sharknado 2. Drink!
Ken.F likes this.

"Oooh a puzzle box, I love puzzles"/ "Are you familiar with 'The Lament Configuration"/ "Actually I'm lousy at puzzles..."
tenthplanet is offline  
post #10604 of 22893 Old 07-30-2014, 04:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ken.F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: West Rockhill, PA
Posts: 4,234
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1474 Post(s)
Liked: 1257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
I suppose you've all seen "Under the Skin" by now but I'm a cheapskate and waited for it to arrive at Redbox. Really a different film, more sci-fi than horror but quite different.
I watched Under the Skin last night and I'm still not sure what I saw. I spent the first five minutes trying to figure out if my AVR was self-destructing or if the audio was supposed to sound like that. It's painfully slow but for some reason I couldn't look away. I agree it is quite different.
Ken.F is offline  
post #10605 of 22893 Old 07-30-2014, 05:15 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
darthrsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Barrel of Burning Trash On A Cold Skid Row Street
Posts: 11,670
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2097 Post(s)
Liked: 2530
Caught a Wolf Creek last night. It's good but I liked two better. It's got more Mick.
darthrsg is online now  
post #10606 of 22893 Old 07-30-2014, 05:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
yankeeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: SOUTH FLORIDA
Posts: 2,825
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 455
I love Sharknado!!!!! We need all the Sharknado fans back, this is bs losing goood people on this forum and in this great thread.

But back to Sharknado, its so campy and so well-done for its campiness (is that a word?) that while normally i hate movies like this, i think Sharknado was fantastic fun to watch!! I just hope they can keep up the "high standards" or is it "low standards" in the second one!!!!

Seriously, i normally do not like horror that is either campy, hokey, or part of the horror/comedy genre, i take my horror very seriously and want the goriest most horrific stuff i can find, but something about Sharknado just struck me right, i totally love watching it!! I hope i can get to see it before i leave on vacation, but if not, what a present it will be for me when i come back!
BornSlippyZ likes this.

never take life seriously
yankeeman is offline  
post #10607 of 22893 Old 07-30-2014, 10:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
GoCaboNow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,883
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 864 Post(s)
Liked: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post

Maybe the other only Sharknado fan is no longer with us but I'm still here.
Lol. The other was very piggish, and an early adopter and proponent of Sharknado.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post
I love Sharknado!!!!! We need all the Sharknado fans back, this is bs losing goood people on this forum and in this great thread.

But back to Sharknado, its so campy and so well-done for its campiness (is that a word?) that while normally i hate movies like this, i think Sharknado was fantastic fun to watch!! I just hope they can keep up the "high standards" or is it "low standards" in the second one!!!!

Seriously, i normally do not like horror that is either campy, hokey, or part of the horror/comedy genre, i take my horror very seriously and want the goriest most horrific stuff i can find, but something about Sharknado just struck me right, i totally love watching it!! I hope i can get to see it before i leave on vacation, but if not, what a present it will be for me when i come back!
Still have not seen the first. I wonder if the 2nd will make bluray by October? If so, I could see saving both for a change of pace in October.

Location: Beaverton, Oregon
My Dedicated Home Theater Room
GoCaboNow is offline  
post #10608 of 22893 Old 07-30-2014, 03:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ken.F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: West Rockhill, PA
Posts: 4,234
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1474 Post(s)
Liked: 1257
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post
Seriously, i normally do not like horror that is either campy, hokey, or part of the horror/comedy genre, i take my horror very seriously and want the goriest most horrific stuff i can find...
I like horror and I like comedy, and I like horror/comedy if it makes me laugh. I won't discount a comedy just because it's horror themed. Young Frankenstein, Zombieland, Tucker & Dale, Scary Movie and Shaun of the Dead are some of my favorites.
Bruuce likes this.
Ken.F is offline  
post #10609 of 22893 Old 07-30-2014, 03:10 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
darthrsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Barrel of Burning Trash On A Cold Skid Row Street
Posts: 11,670
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2097 Post(s)
Liked: 2530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
I like horror and I like comedy, and I like horror/comedy if it makes me laugh. I won't discount a comedy just because it's horror themed. Young Frankenstein, Zombieland, Tucker & Dale, Scary Movie and Shaun of the Dead are some of my favorites.
Tucker and Dale is pretty awesome and gore filled.
tenthplanet and Bruuce like this.
darthrsg is online now  
post #10610 of 22893 Old 07-30-2014, 03:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Kain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Dubai, UAE
Posts: 3,351
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Watched Skinwalker Ranch. Not bad but liked Alien Abduction more.

By the way, The Babadook is getting rave reviews.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_babadook/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2321549/
Kain is offline  
post #10611 of 22893 Old 07-31-2014, 10:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
General Kenobi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kalifornistan
Posts: 6,297
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post
Watched Skinwalker Ranch. Not bad but liked Alien Abduction more.

By the way, The Babadook is getting rave reviews.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_babadook/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2321549/

This actually looks pretty decent. Slow cooker for sure but I like what I see. Looks like IFC Midnight acquired it for domestic release. No real dates yet just a few random screenings like the Philadelphia Film Festival, Friday 8th August & 8 & Saturday 9th. I read an interview with the director that speculated a domestic release in October. She also said:

Quote:
I really wanted the audience to have two gentle hands placed around their neck until they felt like, "I can't breathe. Make this stop." And then it explodes. So I did. I wanted it to be uncomfortable.

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror: 
2012
2011
2010
2009

Last edited by General Kenobi; 07-31-2014 at 11:12 AM.
General Kenobi is offline  
post #10612 of 22893 Old 07-31-2014, 12:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
GoCaboNow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,883
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 864 Post(s)
Liked: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post
Watched Skinwalker Ranch. Not bad but liked Alien Abduction more.

By the way, The Babadook is getting rave reviews.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_babadook/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2321549/
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQ8iDpVzhwo

This actually looks pretty decent. Slow cooker for sure but I like what I see. Looks like IFC Midnight acquired it for domestic release. No real dates yet just a few random screenings like the Philadelphia Film Festival, Friday 8th August & 8 & Saturday 9th. I read an interview with the director that speculated a domestic release in October. She also said:
Aussie flic. Right now I feel better about foreign horror than U.S.
Theirs seems to consistently have more of an edge to it.
General Kenobi likes this.

Location: Beaverton, Oregon
My Dedicated Home Theater Room
GoCaboNow is offline  
post #10613 of 22893 Old 07-31-2014, 01:41 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
darthrsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Barrel of Burning Trash On A Cold Skid Row Street
Posts: 11,670
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2097 Post(s)
Liked: 2530
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post
Aussie flic. Right now I feel better about foreign horror than U.S.
Theirs seems to consistently have more of an edge to it.
Yep. I think much of that is the cultural differences displayed and the alien yet familiar environments. For years, here in the States, horror has lived in the suburbs but not many have ever seen the French analog so it is just familiar enough and that helps keep the edge.

Another possible draw is the accents or subtitles. They usually demand that you do not second screen and actually listen what is being said which leads to actually watching the movie.
darthrsg is online now  
post #10614 of 22893 Old 07-31-2014, 01:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
General Kenobi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kalifornistan
Posts: 6,297
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post
Aussie flic. Right now I feel better about foreign horror than U.S.
Theirs seems to consistently have more of an edge to it.
There aren't too many Aussie horror flicks that I have seen and did not like.

The Loved Ones
Rogue
Wolf Creek
Storm Warning
Primal

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror: 
2012
2011
2010
2009
General Kenobi is offline  
post #10615 of 22893 Old 07-31-2014, 01:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Brian Conrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Martinez, CA, USA
Posts: 6,403
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1427 Post(s)
Liked: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
Yep. I think much of that is the cultural differences displayed and the alien yet familiar environments. For years, here in the States, horror has lived in the suburbs but not many have ever seen the French analog so it is just familiar enough and that helps keep the edge.

Another possible draw is the accents or subtitles. They usually demand that you do not second screen and actually listen what is being said which leads to actually watching the movie.
It the US there is too much business school formulation when it comes to media content. They have "scientific studies" to decide what will make a movie successful. Good thing that Mary Shelley and Bram Stoker didn't have that to deal with but publishers were still hard to contend with in their time.
Brian Conrad is offline  
post #10616 of 22893 Old 07-31-2014, 02:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
GoCaboNow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,883
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 864 Post(s)
Liked: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
Yep. I think much of that is the cultural differences displayed and the alien yet familiar environments. For years, here in the States, horror has lived in the suburbs but not many have ever seen the French analog so it is just familiar enough and that helps keep the edge.

Another possible draw is the accents or subtitles. They usually demand that you do not second screen and actually listen what is being said which leads to actually watching the movie.
I usually dig the cultural differences. They are not as repressed as we are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post
There aren't too many Aussie horror flicks that I have seen and did not like.

The Loved Ones
Rogue
Wolf Creek
Storm Warning
Primal
I don't think I have seen Rogue. Radha Mitchell. I'm in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
It the US there is too much business school formulation when it comes to media content. They have "scientific studies" to decide what will make a movie successful. Good thing that Mary Shelley and Bram Stoker didn't have that to deal with but publishers were still hard to contend with in their time.
Granted, early 1800's most people's lives IS a horror story as far as I am concerned, compared to today.

Location: Beaverton, Oregon
My Dedicated Home Theater Room
GoCaboNow is offline  
post #10617 of 22893 Old 07-31-2014, 02:35 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
darthrsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Barrel of Burning Trash On A Cold Skid Row Street
Posts: 11,670
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2097 Post(s)
Liked: 2530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
It the US there is too much business school formulation when it comes to media content. They have "scientific studies" to decide what will make a movie successful. Good thing that Mary Shelley and Bram Stoker didn't have that to deal with but publishers were still hard to contend with in their time.
Crom laughs at your science.
darthrsg is online now  
post #10618 of 22893 Old 07-31-2014, 04:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BornSlippyZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Minnesota!
Posts: 3,785
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1629 Post(s)
Liked: 1298
I agree these days foreign horror movies are a little bit further down the rabbit hole than our stuff.
BornSlippyZ is offline  
post #10619 of 22893 Old 07-31-2014, 07:19 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
darthrsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Barrel of Burning Trash On A Cold Skid Row Street
Posts: 11,670
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2097 Post(s)
Liked: 2530
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post
I agree these days foreign horror movies are a little bit further down the rabbit hole than our stuff.
In America you can't talk about the rabbit hole anymore.
BornSlippyZ likes this.
darthrsg is online now  
post #10620 of 22893 Old 07-31-2014, 08:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BornSlippyZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Minnesota!
Posts: 3,785
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1629 Post(s)
Liked: 1298
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
In America you can't talk about the rabbit hole anymore.
Red pill, blue pill then!
BornSlippyZ is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off