October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....) - Page 355 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1211Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #10621 of 11794 Old 08-01-2014, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member
 
tenthplanet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Posts: 1,492
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post
I agree these days foreign horror movies are a little bit further down the rabbit hole than our stuff.
Which is good when it produces a good film, the U.S. has had it's share of the down the rabbit hole stuff over time, but it's not always theatrical. The first season of American Horror Story on FX was down that rabbit hole for sure.
BornSlippyZ likes this.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
tenthplanet is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #10622 of 11794 Old 08-01-2014, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
GoCaboNow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,084
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post
I will probably end up buying Frankenstein's Army if I love it but for $10, it looks like it would be a winner, especially for bass...
I just noticed Frank's Army is listed as a five star title in the master list of Bass in movies thread. Just sayin'...


The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts

Five star

Cloverfield(blu-ray)
The Haunting(dts)
Flight of the Phoenix
Hot Fuzz
The Incredible Hulk (2008)
Live Free or Die Hard(dts)
The Lord of the Rings - The Fellowship of the Ring
The Lord of the Rings - The Return of the King
Pulse
War of the Worlds(dts)
Tron: Legacy(blu-ray)
How to Train Your Dragon
Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief
Titan A.E.(dts)
9
Inside(Ã l'interieur)(French dts track)
[Rec]2
Battle: Los Angeles
Underworld: Awakening
Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow(dts)
Wrath of the Titans(blu-ray)
Volcano High(dts korea)
Project X
X-Men First Class(blu-ray)
Hellboy II: The Golden Army(blu-ray)
Olympus has Fallen
Frankenstein's Army
BornSlippyZ likes this.

Location: Beaverton, Oregon
My Dedicated Home Theater Room
GoCaboNow is offline  
post #10623 of 11794 Old 08-01-2014, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Brian Conrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Martinez, CA, USA
Posts: 4,129
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Speaking of rabbits the first season of Channel 4 UK's "Utopia" is available on region free BD on Amazon. Problem is that some folks are reporting it is not playing on some Sony players.

"Utopia" is more sci-fi than horror but a great series and season 2 began a couple weeks back. HBO is producing a US version (hope they don't ruin it).
BornSlippyZ likes this.
Brian Conrad is offline  
post #10624 of 11794 Old 08-01-2014, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
BornSlippyZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Cincy, OH
Posts: 1,687
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 288
I needed to escape reality for a bit today and I rented Under the Skin with Scarlett J. Not really horror in the normal realm of horror, but the movie was pretty creepy I thought. Kinda Stanley Kubrick's 2001-ish with the psychedelic visuals but I thought the concept of Scarlett picking up unsuspecting guys pretty disturbing because what guy (single hopefully) wouldn't get into a van (free candy ha!) with Scarlett? Worth the rent for those that need something bizarre/strange/different.

October HorrorFest Participant
BornSlippyZ is online now  
post #10625 of 11794 Old 08-01-2014, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Ken.F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: West Rockhill, PA
Posts: 1,865
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post
I needed to escape reality for a bit today and I rented Under the Skin with Scarlett J. Not really horror in the normal realm of horror, but the movie was pretty creepy I thought. Kinda Stanley Kubrick's 2001-ish with the psychedelic visuals but I thought the concept of Scarlett picking up unsuspecting guys pretty disturbing because what guy (single hopefully) wouldn't get into a van (free candy ha!) with Scarlett? Worth the rent for those that need something bizarre/strange/different.
I'd get in that van in a heartbeat. I'd fit her victim profile perfectly. Lucky me.
BornSlippyZ likes this.
Ken.F is offline  
post #10626 of 11794 Old 08-01-2014, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Ken.F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: West Rockhill, PA
Posts: 1,865
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Saw this promo for Z Nation during Sharknado 2.

Ken.F is offline  
post #10627 of 11794 Old 08-01-2014, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
GoCaboNow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,084
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post
I needed to escape reality for a bit today and I rented Under the Skin with Scarlett J. Not really horror in the normal realm of horror, but the movie was pretty creepy I thought. Kinda Stanley Kubrick's 2001-ish with the psychedelic visuals but I thought the concept of Scarlett picking up unsuspecting guys pretty disturbing because what guy (single hopefully) wouldn't get into a van (free candy ha!) with Scarlett? Worth the rent for those that need something bizarre/strange/different.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
I'd get in that van in a heartbeat. I'd fit her victim profile perfectly. Lucky me.
What if you have two vehicles parked and each driver is waiving you in. One with SIL from Species driving and the other ScarJo's van. Which do you get in?

Location: Beaverton, Oregon
My Dedicated Home Theater Room
GoCaboNow is offline  
post #10628 of 11794 Old 08-01-2014, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Ken.F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: West Rockhill, PA
Posts: 1,865
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post
What if you have two vehicles parked and each driver is waiving you in. One with SIL from Species driving and the other ScarJo's van. Which do you get in?
Which one is closest to me?
GoCaboNow and BornSlippyZ like this.
Ken.F is offline  
post #10629 of 11794 Old 08-01-2014, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
BornSlippyZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Cincy, OH
Posts: 1,687
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post
What if you have two vehicles parked and each driver is waiving you in. One with SIL from Species driving and the other ScarJo's van. Which do you get in?
That depends how far I get, grope, a peep or full on the business before you meet a grisly end.
tenthplanet, GoCaboNow and Ken.F like this.

October HorrorFest Participant
BornSlippyZ is online now  
post #10630 of 11794 Old 08-01-2014, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
GoCaboNow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,084
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
Which one is closest to me?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post
That depends how far I get, grope, a peep or full on the business before you meet a grisly end.
LOL! You guys rock!
BornSlippyZ likes this.

Location: Beaverton, Oregon
My Dedicated Home Theater Room
GoCaboNow is offline  
post #10631 of 11794 Old 08-01-2014, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
GoCaboNow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,084
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
Which one is closest to me?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post
That depends how far I get, grope, a peep or full on the business before you meet a grisly end.
Actually, the answer is always the one with the biggest, uh..I think it's the closest one.
BornSlippyZ and Ken.F like this.

Location: Beaverton, Oregon
My Dedicated Home Theater Room
GoCaboNow is offline  
post #10632 of 11794 Old 08-01-2014, 10:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tenthplanet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Posts: 1,492
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post
What if you have two vehicles parked and each driver is waiving you in. One with SIL from Species driving and the other ScarJo's van. Which do you get in?
Unless it's porn, you NEVER get in a van. (File under stupid horror movies mistakes 101 ). If it's a convertible you're on your own
stevew24963 and BornSlippyZ like this.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
tenthplanet is offline  
post #10633 of 11794 Old 08-02-2014, 09:11 AM
Member
 
KonaBound2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Humongous horror movie fan here!

Person favorites list:

Prince of Darkness
Exorcist 3
Insidious
The Strangers

Dark but fun:

Tucker & Dale vs Evil
Cabin in the woods
Dead Snow
Troll hunter


The last two are subtitled but surprisingly good.

Trailer for Dead Snow:






I also built a custom Horror Movie themed poker table couple years ago with artwork created by a fantasy comic artist in Indonesia. Happy to post pics if any is interested....I'm very proud of it
darthrsg likes this.
KonaBound2010 is offline  
post #10634 of 11794 Old 08-02-2014, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
BornSlippyZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Cincy, OH
Posts: 1,687
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Welcome!

Post up that bad boy!
darthrsg and tenthplanet like this.

October HorrorFest Participant
BornSlippyZ is online now  
post #10635 of 11794 Old 08-02-2014, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Brian Conrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Martinez, CA, USA
Posts: 4,129
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post
I needed to escape reality for a bit today and I rented Under the Skin with Scarlett J. Not really horror in the normal realm of horror, but the movie was pretty creepy I thought. Kinda Stanley Kubrick's 2001-ish with the psychedelic visuals but I thought the concept of Scarlett picking up unsuspecting guys pretty disturbing because what guy (single hopefully) wouldn't get into a van (free candy ha!) with Scarlett? Worth the rent for those that need something bizarre/strange/different.
Did you check out the extras on the disc?
Spoiler!
Brian Conrad is offline  
post #10636 of 11794 Old 08-02-2014, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
BornSlippyZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Cincy, OH
Posts: 1,687
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
Did you check out the extras on the disc?
Spoiler!
I started to watch that and I remember seeing that shoulder bag camera. I wish I had the time to watch all of the extra's but my kids were waking up from nap.


Now that I think about how they filmed most of that movie, boy that is pretty nutty that they pulled it off! I like who they tried to get for the motorcycle 'guy'.

October HorrorFest Participant

Last edited by BornSlippyZ; 08-02-2014 at 02:11 PM.
BornSlippyZ is online now  
post #10637 of 11794 Old 08-02-2014, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
BornSlippyZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Cincy, OH
Posts: 1,687
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 288
This one has potential!


October HorrorFest Participant
BornSlippyZ is online now  
post #10638 of 11794 Old 08-02-2014, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tenthplanet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Posts: 1,492
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post
This one has potential!

http://youtu.be/fNFBq1qf3m8
Indeed, and it's on VOD just in time for Halloween

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
tenthplanet is offline  
post #10639 of 11794 Old 08-02-2014, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Bob McLaughlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 1,515
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Tried watching "No One Lives" last weekend. Should have been called "No One To Give a **** About". After 45 minutes or so I gave up and oinked it. Rare for me but it just wasn't doing anything for me but annoying me.
darthrsg likes this.

"I'LL SHOW YOU THE LIFE OF THE MIND!!!" - Barton Fink
Bob McLaughlin is offline  
post #10640 of 11794 Old 08-03-2014, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
yankeeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: SOUTH FLORIDA
Posts: 2,516
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Went to the theater yesterday, saw The Purge Anarchy. I have NOT seen the first Purge movie.

I was disappointed. It was not a horror movie to me, it was just an action movie. Also, didnt see why it got an "R" rating, just a bunch of shooting, no real gore, no sex, no nudity, not even bad language. Good concept but could have been carried thru a lot better IMHO.

never take life seriously
yankeeman is offline  
post #10641 of 11794 Old 08-03-2014, 09:15 AM
Member
 
KonaBound2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I am a poker junkie so in the room opening up to the home theater, I wanted a poker / sports room. We started (my neighbor and I) from complete scratch and I had a very detailed plan in place to build the poker table, how big, what materials, the color of the LED lights, the type of gaming felt, and yes, the custom design of the playing surface. Being a fan of Horror Movies I decided to have something created that integrated my love for horror movies and poker. I knew what I wanted but had no idea how to get it created. After researching for months, and hanging around many graphic art websites and communities I found an artist in Indonesia that was taking work on the side.

He normally drew and created artwork for some fantasy comic and focused mainly on fantasy type artwork but clearly he was very skilled. This kid was so talented. I told him I wanted 6 serial killers from well know movies sitting around a WSOP Final table and we would call it a "Killer Final Table, pun intended. I had to send him tons of movie images as he had no idea who Michael Myers, Jason Vorhees or Freddy Kruger even were. He started sending me rough drawings and I knew he was the one to do the job.

I thought long and hard (that's what she said) about what villains to include. The final list was Jason (Friday the 13th) Freddy Kruger (Nightmare on Elm St) Pinhead (Hellraiser), the Joker (Dark Knight) Hannibal Lecter (Silence of the Lambs) and Michael Myers (Halloween). I also considered Leatherface (Texas Chainsaw Massacre), Captain Spalding (House of 1000 Corpses) but feel about who made the final list.

A few initial rough sketches...this kid could really draw is arse off....very happy with his work.

Once the artwork was done I sent it off to be put on the gaming suede via heat sublimation.










We started with a lot of wood and lots of cutting:






We had then sheet metal cut in shape of card suits and would put blue LED's behind them with a dimmer switch:




We cut the table bases into suits (heart, spade, diamond & club) and put colored suited speed cloth behind each cutoff for enhanced effect:



Turned out good:






Final Artwork - Artist did most of the work by hand - incredible detailing:





Up close view of suited light diffuser:




Finished Product - who wants to come over and play some NL hold Em while we watch Insidious in 7.1 surround in background?









KonaBound2010 is offline  
post #10642 of 11794 Old 08-03-2014, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member
 
BornSlippyZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Cincy, OH
Posts: 1,687
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Damnnnnn! That is one sweet poker table! I am kind of a newb when it comes to poker but having that would make me want to have a poker night every week! Nice work!

October HorrorFest Participant
BornSlippyZ is online now  
post #10643 of 11794 Old 08-03-2014, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member
 
yankeeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: SOUTH FLORIDA
Posts: 2,516
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Konabound, thats totally awesome!!!

never take life seriously
yankeeman is offline  
post #10644 of 11794 Old 08-03-2014, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member
 
BornSlippyZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Cincy, OH
Posts: 1,687
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post
Went to the theater yesterday, saw The Purge Anarchy. I have NOT seen the first Purge movie.

I was disappointed. It was not a horror movie to me, it was just an action movie. Also, didnt see why it got an "R" rating, just a bunch of shooting, no real gore, no sex, no nudity, not even bad language. Good concept but could have been carried thru a lot better IMHO.
Sorry to hear that!
The first Purge was alright and I liked the alternate America theme. The movie got me thinking about a defense system on a home, here is my idea. I would have on my house for defense is a few air gun turrets that would fire bolts using compressed air. This would be controlled by a computer and a big air compressor in the house (and accumulators). I think that would keep anybody away and the ammo would be plentiful (bolts) and it would quiet.

October HorrorFest Participant
BornSlippyZ is online now  
post #10645 of 11794 Old 08-03-2014, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Ken.F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: West Rockhill, PA
Posts: 1,865
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post
Sorry to hear that!
The movie got me thinking about a defense system on a home, here is my idea. I would have on my house for defense is a few air gun turrets that would fire bolts using compressed air. This would be controlled by a computer and a big air compressor in the house (and accumulators). I think that would keep anybody away and the ammo would be plentiful (bolts) and it would quiet.
I'd do a moat filled with sharks that have laser beams attached to their heads.
Ken.F is offline  
post #10646 of 11794 Old 08-03-2014, 10:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
General Kenobi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kalifornistan
Posts: 5,923
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 357
stevew24963 and Ken.F like this.

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

 

2012

2011

2010

2009

General Kenobi is offline  
post #10647 of 11794 Old 08-04-2014, 02:32 AM
AVS Special Member
 
tenthplanet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Posts: 1,492
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post
Damnnnnn! That is one sweet poker table! I am kind of a newb when it comes to poker but having that would make me want to have a poker night every week! Nice work!
Very nice work, most impressive

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
tenthplanet is offline  
post #10648 of 11794 Old 08-04-2014, 02:38 AM
AVS Special Member
 
tenthplanet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Posts: 1,492
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
I'd do a moat filled with sharks that have laser beams attached to their heads.
That's one way to deal with coyote problems

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
tenthplanet is offline  
post #10649 of 11794 Old 08-04-2014, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
GoCaboNow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,084
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post
This one has potential!

http://youtu.be/fNFBq1qf3m8
Oh yeah! You engaged baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob McLaughlin View Post
Tried watching "No One Lives" last weekend. Should have been called "No One To Give a **** About". After 45 minutes or so I gave up and oinked it. Rare for me but it just wasn't doing anything for me but annoying me.
IIRC this was a fairly divisive movie on the forum when it came out. I liked that it had decent acting talent, good budget with lots of gore effects and the tone was fairly brutal. For some reason, I did not have a problem rooting for the Luke Evans character, certainly over the typical, low brow heathens.

A lot of people had a problem with it though. I liked, in this age of lame horror movies, it at least tried to be bad a$$ rather than just walking a middle ground.


Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post
no real gore, no sex, no nudity, not even bad language.
That does not sound good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post
Sorry to hear that!
The first Purge was alright and I liked the alternate America theme. The movie got me thinking about a defense system on a home, here is my idea. I would have on my house for defense is a few air gun turrets that would fire bolts using compressed air. This would be controlled by a computer and a big air compressor in the house (and accumulators). I think that would keep anybody away and the ammo would be plentiful (bolts) and it would quiet.
I am thinking a castle/turret thing as well, and a little Daddy/Daughter bonding time as I teach my girls how to shoot.

Location: Beaverton, Oregon
My Dedicated Home Theater Room
GoCaboNow is offline  
post #10650 of 11794 Old 08-05-2014, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member
 
ApolloCreed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: MN
Posts: 908
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaBound2010 View Post
I am a poker junkie so in the room opening up to the home theater, I wanted a poker / sports room. We started (my neighbor and I) from complete scratch and I had a very detailed plan in place to build the poker table, how big, what materials, the color of the LED lights, the type of gaming felt, and yes, the custom design of the playing surface. Being a fan of Horror Movies I decided to have something created that integrated my love for horror movies and poker. I knew what I wanted but had no idea how to get it created. After researching for months, and hanging around many graphic art websites and communities I found an artist in Indonesia that was taking work on the side.

He normally drew and created artwork for some fantasy comic and focused mainly on fantasy type artwork but clearly he was very skilled. This kid was so talented. I told him I wanted 6 serial killers from well know movies sitting around a WSOP Final table and we would call it a "Killer Final Table, pun intended. I had to send him tons of movie images as he had no idea who Michael Myers, Jason Vorhees or Freddy Kruger even were. He started sending me rough drawings and I knew he was the one to do the job.

I thought long and hard (that's what she said) about what villains to include. The final list was Jason (Friday the 13th) Freddy Kruger (Nightmare on Elm St) Pinhead (Hellraiser), the Joker (Dark Knight) Hannibal Lecter (Silence of the Lambs) and Michael Myers (Halloween). I also considered Leatherface (Texas Chainsaw Massacre), Captain Spalding (House of 1000 Corpses) but feel about who made the final list.

A few initial rough sketches...this kid could really draw is arse off....very happy with his work.

Once the artwork was done I sent it off to be put on the gaming suede via heat sublimation.










We started with a lot of wood and lots of cutting:






We had then sheet metal cut in shape of card suits and would put blue LED's behind them with a dimmer switch:




We cut the table bases into suits (heart, spade, diamond & club) and put colored suited speed cloth behind each cutoff for enhanced effect:



Turned out good:






Final Artwork - Artist did most of the work by hand - incredible detailing:





Up close view of suited light diffuser:




Finished Product - who wants to come over and play some NL hold Em while we watch Insidious in 7.1 surround in background?










Wow! Sick table dude! Great work.
ApolloCreed is offline  
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off