October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....) - Page 359 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 308Likes

post #10741 of 10996 Old 08-20-2014, 08:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post
Can anyone recommend any horror/scary movies that take place in a mansion-type setting (can be a house too). Not exactly talking about a haunted house/mansion (though that would be fine too) but something along the lines of the first Resident Evil game (not movie).
The people under the stairs
BornSlippyZ likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10742 of 10996 Old 08-21-2014, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCableMan View Post
The people under the stairs
Great suggestion and this movie releases on BD Sept 2!

October HorrorFest Participant
post #10743 of 10996 Old 08-21-2014, 06:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
Would 13 Ghosts qualify?

Good one. Definitely qualifies IMO. I forgot about this movie....even though I own it. Might add it to this year's list.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10744 of 10996 Old 08-21-2014, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Would 13 Ghosts qualify?
The original and the remake, or just the original ?

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #10745 of 10996 Old 08-22-2014, 05:02 AM
AVS Special Member

I watched 'Would you Rather' yesterday, typical torture movie with a twist of Funny Games. 2 double dog dare stars out of 5...

post #10746 of 10996 Old 08-22-2014, 05:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
The original and the remake, or just the original ?
The one with Matthew Lillard and the clear house.
post #10747 of 10996 Old 08-22-2014, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post
I watched 'Would you Rather' yesterday, typical torture movie with a twist of Funny Games. 2 double dog dare stars out of 5...

I checked it out earlier this year. Honestly, it was better than expected. Don't know that I would call it typical though. IMO it was a fairly unique take on the torture genre.

post #10748 of 10996 Old 08-22-2014, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Not the movie but a reminder that Robert Rodriguez's "From Dusk till Dawn" series is now on Netflix WI. I've watched a couple of episodes so far. It was one many cable systems but often not on an HD channel.
tenthplanet likes this.
post #10749 of 10996 Old 08-22-2014, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
The wife and I watched "You're Next" last night on Netflix streaming. I had suspected it was something similar to "The Strangers" which we both really enjoyed. This movie was similar but different and had some unique twists that made it enjoyable. The kills were gory but not overly brutal which made my wife happy. I told her I was going to get one of those animal masks and walk into the room when it was dark. She said, "I will stab you!". I was like, you aren't even going to make sure it's not me first? "Nope!"

post #10750 of 10996 Old 08-22-2014, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone7 View Post
The wife and I watched "You're Next" last night on Netflix streaming. I had suspected it was something similar to "The Strangers" which we both really enjoyed. This movie was similar but different and had some unique twists that made it enjoyable. The kills were gory but not overly brutal which made my wife happy. I told her I was going to get one of those animal masks and walk into the room when it was dark. She said, "I will stab you!". I was like, you aren't even going to make sure it's not me first? "Nope!"
That's a good woman there, you've been warned my friend.

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

post #10751 of 10996 Old 08-22-2014, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Yeah and even worse, she shoots as well if not better than me. If I'm getting in late, I call ahead...

post #10752 of 10996 Old 08-22-2014, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloCreed View Post
I checked it out earlier this year. Honestly, it was better than expected. Don't know that I would call it typical though. IMO it was a fairly unique take on the torture genre.
Maybe it was just my mood that night, but I liked the story line of the first Hostel better. I did like the brunette bad girl sitting at the table though!

Edit: Speaking of scaring your better half!

Last edited by BornSlippyZ; 08-22-2014 at 01:40 PM.
post #10753 of 10996 Old 08-22-2014, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:

http://youtu.be/UEnyJxaxTp8
That was awesome!
BornSlippyZ likes this.
post #10754 of 10996 Old 08-22-2014, 02:28 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Awesome thread!!!

The GF and I do this every year but we start mid September since we are very busy people. It is awesome to see an entire thread dedicated to this!

Is there a wiki or something streamlined with peoples recommendations? This 359 page thread is rather intimidating!
post #10755 of 10996 Old 08-22-2014, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZzBloopzZ View Post
Awesome thread!!!

The GF and I do this every year but we start mid September since we are very busy people. It is awesome to see an entire thread dedicated to this!

Is there a wiki or something streamlined with peoples recommendations? This 359 page thread is rather intimidating!

Welcome! Feel free to ask anyone of us what to watch (or worth a watch) in Horror Genre and it's sub-genres! Also some guys have links in their signature that shows what they watched and their special rating. I know others can chime in with lists on the web. I know Darth put up a reddit horror list that was actually pretty good.

post #10756 of 10996 Old 08-22-2014, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Awesome thread!!!

More members of lost tribe are found In otherwords Hi !

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #10757 of 10996 Old 08-22-2014, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

It looks like 'Deliver Us From Evil' will be out on disc October 28th just in time for Halloween.

post #10758 of 10996 Old 08-22-2014, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Maybe it was just my mood that night, but I liked the story line of the first Hostel better. I did like the brunette bad girl sitting at the table though!

http://youtu.be/UEnyJxaxTp8
Cute video but it looks like a re-enactment of the original, note the way she's sleeping.

post #10759 of 10996 Old 08-22-2014, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Cute video but it looks like a re-enactment of the original, note the way she's sleeping.
I know but check out how big her mouth got! She was fearing for her life! I wonder what her heart rate was!

post #10760 of 10996 Old 08-22-2014, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Awesome thread!!!

I posted last years here http://letterboxd.com/banzai_buckaro...rrorfest-2013/

Steam: Guts
post #10761 of 10996 Old 08-22-2014, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Awesome thread!!!

Also page 98 is the start of 2012's fests.

post #10762 of 10996 Old 08-22-2014, 07:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
It looks like 'Deliver Us From Evil' will be out on disc October 28th just in time for Halloween.

Sounds like a group watch is in order.
GoCaboNow likes this.

post #10763 of 10996 Old 08-23-2014, 01:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloCreed View Post
Sounds like a group watch is in order.
I agree

post #10764 of 10996 Old 08-23-2014, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Well the Halloween stuff is on the shelves at stores so it is also time for Halloween horror releases.
post #10765 of 10996 Old 08-23-2014, 11:28 PM

Started this years Horrorfest earlier today, since it is rainy and mucky outside.

Thanks to ApolloCreed's awesome 2013 reviews here. We ended up watching VHS, VHS 2 and Dark Skies.

Really had a wonderful time. I LOVED Dark Skies! We were totally into it and movie felt like it was only 15 minutes long. I give it a 4.8/5. In fact, my GF is researching other good alien movies that we may have missed as I write this.

VHS 1, at first I wanted to just turn it off. It seemed like utter trash! But we plowed through it and ended up being intrigued. They had few good stories. 3.5/5. VHS 2 on other hand was much better overall. Give that one 4/5.

I do not regret watching any of these movies today. I forgot how fun watching certain genres of movies can be. We have been strictly watching TV show's for the last several months but pretty much caught up with most of the shows we are watching.

Probably will check out a few more tomorrow. Really glad I found this thread!
post #10766 of 10996 Old 08-24-2014, 01:21 AM
AVS Special Member

You guys can have your little horror movies. My 3 year old found 60 Tinker Bell movies on Netflix. I'll use Vine to document my descent into madness.
BornSlippyZ likes this.

post #10767 of 10996 Old 08-24-2014, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
You guys can have your little horror movies. My 3 year old found 60 Tinker Bell movies on Netflix. I'll use Vine to document my descent into madness.
Ha! We are watching Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 2!
Quote:
Started this years Horrorfest earlier today, since it is rainy and mucky outside.

Thanks to ApolloCreed's awesome 2013 reviews here. We ended up watching VHS, VHS 2 and Dark Skies.

Really had a wonderful time. I LOVED Dark Skies! We were totally into it and movie felt like it was only 15 minutes long. I give it a 4.8/5. In fact, my GF is researching other good alien movies that we may have missed as I write this.

VHS 1, at first I wanted to just turn it off. It seemed like utter trash! But we plowed through it and ended up being intrigued. They had few good stories. 3.5/5. VHS 2 on other hand was much better overall. Give that one 4/5.

I do not regret watching any of these movies today. I forgot how fun watching certain genres of movies can be. We have been strictly watching TV show's for the last several months but pretty much caught up with most of the shows we are watching.

Probably will check out a few more tomorrow. Really glad I found this thread!
Dark Skies is one of those few PG13 Horror movies that deliver! VHS got mixed here iirc but a lot of us like VHS2. The 3rd installment comes out after October unfortunately, but I will still watch it when it releases. Glad you both liked the movies!

post #10768 of 10996 Old 08-24-2014, 12:33 PM

Just watched Maniac. Not too into gore but man, what an AWESOME movie! I give it 4.5/5! Will watch this yearly now!

Also, watched House of the Devil today. It was very slow, although ending was finally where it got interesting. I give it 3/5. Wouldn't want to watch it again tho.

You know it's funny, I usually look on IMDB and Rotten Tomato before deciding to watch a movie.. yet all these awesome movies I saw today and yesterday have mediocre reviews. So glad I found this thread!
post #10769 of 10996 Old 08-24-2014, 07:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Just watched Maniac. Not too into gore but man, what an AWESOME movie! I give it 4.5/5! Will watch this yearly now!

Also, watched House of the Devil today. It was very slow, although ending was finally where it got interesting. I give it 3/5. Wouldn't want to watch it again tho.

You know it's funny, I usually look on IMDB and Rotten Tomato before deciding to watch a movie.. yet all these awesome movies I saw today and yesterday have mediocre reviews. So glad I found this thread!

Glad to see you are checking out our lists and giving movies a shot despite what their ratings are on IMDB or Rotten Tomatoes. I found that movies rated high on those sites are usually pretty solid, but there are many movies that I enjoy that don't get any respect there. BTW, I loved Maniac as well and even though it's slow burn doesn't suit everyone's tastes, House of the Devil is one of my absolute favorite movies. I watch it every year in October.

post #10770 of 10996 Old 08-24-2014, 07:08 PM
Advanced Member

Well, I got my birthday present folks (not sure if I mentioned this already or not). My wife booked a short little trip to Chicago on the first weekend of October for RZ's Great American Nightmare!! Needless to say, I'm stoked

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page