October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....) - Page 360 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 212Likes

post #10771 of 10794 Old 08-24-2014, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Sweet!

Happy Birthday Apollo!

October HorrorFest Participant
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10772 of 10794 Old 08-24-2014, 07:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Thanks buddy. Its not until next Wednesday but my wife lets me celebrate the entire week.

On tap tonight.....a few fine cocktails and Under the Skin. Fairly intrigued by the storyline and we're both very interested to see Scarlett in all her glory.....
post #10773 of 10794 Old 08-24-2014, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone7 View Post
The wife and I watched "You're Next" last night on Netflix streaming. I had suspected it was something similar to "The Strangers" which we both really enjoyed. This movie was similar but different and had some unique twists that made it enjoyable. The kills were gory but not overly brutal which made my wife happy. I told her I was going to get one of those animal masks and walk into the room when it was dark. She said, "I will stab you!". I was like, you aren't even going to make sure it's not me first? "Nope!"
I really liked this one, was a little surprised it didn't seem to be discussed when it came out.

The last two Octobers were rough but it's over and done and my home theater is fully operational again so I'm hoping I can get 31 in this October.
post #10774 of 10794 Old 08-25-2014, 02:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloCreed View Post
Thanks buddy. Its not until next Wednesday but my wife lets me celebrate the entire week.

On tap tonight.....a few fine cocktails and Under the Skin. Fairly intrigued by the storyline and we're both very interested to see Scarlett in all her glory.....
Happy Birthday Week!

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #10775 of 10794 Old 08-25-2014, 02:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post
Ha! We are watching Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 2!
"Tacodile,Supreme!"
BornSlippyZ likes this.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #10776 of 10794 Old 08-25-2014, 02:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Glad to see you are checking out our lists and giving movies a shot despite what their ratings are on IMDB or Rotten Tomatoes. I found that movies rated high on those sites are usually pretty solid, but there are many movies that I enjoy that don't get any respect there. BTW, I loved Maniac as well and even though it's slow burn doesn't suit everyone's tastes, House of the Devil is one of my absolute favorite movies. I watch it every year in October.
House of the Devil, added to queue. Thanks !

post #10777 of 10794 Old 08-25-2014, 04:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Happy Birthday!

Under the Skin is slow, boring and confusing but for some reason I couldn't take my eyes away from it. I'm easily distracted and typically need constant stimulation from bright colors, loud noises, action scenes, a good soundtrack or interesting dialog to keep my interest in a movie. This one doesn't have much of any of those elements. The soundtrack in the opening sequence sets the mood of the entire film. I can only describe it as frantic subdued monotony. It's like the dance-mix version of the Psycho shower scene music on a loop. Characters are not introduced. They just appear without a back-story and there's not much about them that gets explained later either. The big reveal at the end doesn't really reveal anything that you didn't already know. This isn't a scary movie but my anxiety level was up anyway. I watched it alone and in the dark and never felt more alone and in the dark. I can't explain why I liked this movie so much. Sit close to your wife tonight and enjoy the show.
post #10778 of 10794 Old 08-25-2014, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Finally got around to watching "Devil" last night. The wife picked this one and I have to admit I was not anxious to see it. I'm not a big M. Night S. fan and when I saw in the opening credits that it was his creation I wanted to see it even less. However, I ended up enjoying this which is surprising seeing as how most of the movie takes place in such a small tight space. It sort of reminded me more of a Sam Raimi film than M. Night S. Maybe that's why I enjoyed it more. Anyway, the wife didn't hate it and while I figured out the twist rather quickly, it was a fun time.
post #10779 of 10794 Old 08-25-2014, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
House of the Devil, added to queue. Thanks !
That's pretty much required reading for regulars of this forum!

Quote:
Finally got around to watching "Devil" last night. The wife picked this one and I have to admit I was not anxious to see it. I'm not a big M. Night S. fan and when I saw in the opening credits that it was his creation I wanted to see it even less. However, I ended up enjoying this which is surprising seeing as how most of the movie takes place in such a small tight space. It sort of reminded me more of a Sam Raimi film than M. Night S. Maybe that's why I enjoyed it more. Anyway, the wife didn't hate it and while I figured out the twist rather quickly, it was a fun time.
I liked that one as well. I even liked the upside down city-scape perspective in the opening. I felt it immediately lended an ominous tone to the film.

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

post #10780 of 10794 Old 08-25-2014, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post
That's pretty much required reading for regulars of this forum!

I liked that one as well. I even liked the upside down city-scape perspective in the opening. I felt it immediately lended an ominous tone to the film.

+1
I really liked that opening sequence as well . It certainly grabbed your attention and set the tone of "hum...something isn't right here". "Ominous" as you said is exactly how it felt.
post #10781 of 10794 Old 08-25-2014, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
You guys can have your little horror movies. My 3 year old found 60 Tinker Bell movies on Netflix. I'll use Vine to document my descent into madness.
Nice! We have all the movies and my 8 year old really likes them. Sadly, her time is probably running out on these. When the Pirate Fairy came out she invited kids over and many kind of chortled at the invitation. Of course, some that chortled, in front of their friends, still came over and enjoyed it.

Quote:
Sweet!

Happy Birthday Apollo!
Ditto! My wife and daughter share a birthday the end of August as well.

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
+1
I really liked that opening sequence as well . It certainly grabbed your attention and set the tone of "hum...something isn't right here". "Ominous" as you said is exactly how it felt.
Agreed! The opening sequence was awesome. Had zero expectations going in and that opening really gave me an unexpected chill.

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #10782 of 10794 Old 08-25-2014, 07:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
Happy Birthday!

Under the Skin is slow, boring and confusing but for some reason I couldn't take my eyes away from it. I'm easily distracted and typically need constant stimulation from bright colors, loud noises, action scenes, a good soundtrack or interesting dialog to keep my interest in a movie. This one doesn't have much of any of those elements. The soundtrack in the opening sequence sets the mood of the entire film. I can only describe it as frantic subdued monotony. It's like the dance-mix version of the Psycho shower scene music on a loop. Characters are not introduced. They just appear without a back-story and there's not much about them that gets explained later either. The big reveal at the end doesn't really reveal anything that you didn't already know. This isn't a scary movie but my anxiety level was up anyway. I watched it alone and in the dark and never felt more alone and in the dark. I can't explain why I liked this movie so much. Sit close to your wife tonight and enjoy the show.

Well said. I don't mind movies that are purposely ambiguous and thought-provoking but this one was simply too confusing to enjoy.

Quote:

M Night has turned out sh*tfest after sh*tfest so expectations couldn't have been lower when I watched it a few years back. Surprisingly, this one was enjoyable. M Night wasn't the director though (writing credits only), so that is likely the reason why it was a good watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post
Ditto! My wife and daughter share a birthday the end of August as well.

Thanks my man! Its the big Four-Oh for me.
post #10783 of 10794 Old Yesterday, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Well said. I don't mind movies that are purposely ambiguous and thought-provoking but this one was simply too confusing to enjoy.
But I did enjoy it... and I don't know why.
post #10784 of 10794 Old Yesterday, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Speaking of horror... talk about a torturous experience, haggling with 4 different auto dealers to get a deal on a new ride.
yankeeman likes this.

My Rig

post #10785 of 10794 Old Yesterday, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Speaking of horror... talk about a torturous experience, haggling with 4 different auto dealers to get a deal on a new ride.
Ugh, I cannot stand dealerships! When I bought my truck, I got USAA to give me an internet price and the dealership beat it. Only bad thing was the semi truck carrying my new truck caught on fire so all of the trucks were lost due to a fire. The horror part was we saw it on the evening news and I had an inkling thought that could be our truck in flames, and it was!

post #10786 of 10794 Old Yesterday, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Ugh, I cannot stand dealerships! When I bought my truck, I got USAA to give me an internet price and the dealership beat it. Only bad thing was the semi truck carrying my new truck caught on fire so all of the trucks were lost due to a fire. The horror part was we saw it on the evening news and I had an inkling thought that could be our truck in flames, and it was!
Wow, you win, what a FN nightmare! I financed with USAA but was able to get a better deal pitting dealers against each other. It all worked out and they delivered the truck to me so I never had to go into the dealership.

Do you guys realize that we are just 35 short days away from October! I can't wait, I've not been watching horror at all and am really starting to get the itch. I think I will start working on a rough list soon!

My Rig

post #10787 of 10794 Old Yesterday, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Sweet truck! Those are really nice!

Speaking of Halloween, that As Above, So Below looks promising! I saw a red band trailer and a decent amount of blood is shown.

post #10788 of 10794 Old Yesterday, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Speaking of Halloween, that As Above, So Below looks promising! I saw a red band trailer and a decent amount of blood is shown.
Thanks man!

I'm hesitant to put too much enthusiasm into any domestic release lately. I had really high hopes for Deliver Us From Evil and while I have not seen it to judge for myself it got slaughtered on RT and only 3/5 on IMDB. As Above, So Below looks like it could really be awesome but there is no shortage of failed found footage films and the horror genre in general has inundated genre fans with that style so AASB will have its work cut out for it to impress.

I will probably activate my disc subscription again with nf for October.

edit - Looks like Deliver Us From Evil will be out for rent on 10/28

My Rig

Last edited by General Kenobi; Yesterday at 12:03 PM.
post #10789 of 10794 Old Yesterday, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:

No worries, just enjoy it!!

I hit the dreaded Five-Oh last year. No biggee. I still dig and do all the same stuff I did at 40 and 30 etc. Would be dead if I did all the same stuff I did at 20 though.

Quote:

Indeed, nice ride GK!

Yep, here's to hoping this can be an unxepected gem. I love those!!

Slippy, I noticed you in the Crown amp thread. Did you get yours in yet?
I added the 4000, and 2000 bridged to run my lcr's. Wow, do those babies put out! Quiet too!! Looks like my Emotivas will be going on CL soon.

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #10790 of 10794 Old Yesterday, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 718
Quote:
Wow, you win, what a FN nightmare! I financed with USAA but was able to get a better deal pitting dealers against each other. It all worked out and they delivered the truck to me so I never had to go into the dealership.

Do you guys realize that we are just 35 short days away from October! I can't wait, I've not been watching horror at all and am really starting to get the itch. I think I will start working on a rough list soon!
I think this year instead of watching as many as possible I'm going for just one a day. My interest is very low lately and most everything on the TV falls off into background noise.
post #10791 of 10794 Old Yesterday, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I hit the dreaded Five-Oh last year. No biggee. I still dig and do all the same stuff I did at 40 and 30 etc. Would be dead if I did all the same stuff I did at 20 though.

Indeed, nice ride GK!

Quote:
Happy belated bday man! I hit that same mark in April but we're men, we get better, like a fine box of wine Agreed on the 20's comment, seems absolutely exhausting and painful to think of repeating my Fear and Loathing days!

There have been a lot of "pile" recommendations over the past few months, it would be nice to have a comprehensive list of those to reference for Oct. Who has the most free time?

My Rig

post #10792 of 10794 Old Yesterday, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks man!

I'm hesitant to put too much enthusiasm into any domestic release lately. I had really high hopes for Deliver Us From Evil and while I have not seen it to judge for myself it got slaughtered on RT and only 3/5 on IMDB. As Above, So Below looks like it could really be awesome but there is no shortage of failed found footage films and the horror genre in general has inundated genre fans with that style so AASB will have its work cut out for it to impress.

I will probably activate my disc subscription again with nf for October.

edit - Looks like Deliver Us From Evil will be out for rent on 10/28
I will be doing this as well, but I have been without Netflix for a few years. I think it is time to start using the service again.
Quote:

Indeed, nice ride GK!

Slippy, I noticed you in the Crown amp thread. Did you get yours in yet?
I added the 4000, and 2000 bridged to run my lcr's. Wow, do those babies put out! Quiet too!! Looks like my Emotivas will be going on CL soon.
Not yet, we are leaving for vacation this weekend and I have a bunch of stuff to do. I will hopefully will have some time soon to put them in. I almost bought a used emotiva (for my lcr) but I wanted to try out this pro-audio stuff and at $99, it is a no brainer. Last movie I watched in my room was Sabotage, and I definitely liked the blood/gore in that flick! Cool that the crowns are working out for you!

post #10793 of 10794 Old Today, 01:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
That's freaky.. So how long did it take them to get a new truck out to you after that ?

post #10794 of 10794 Old Today, 03:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
That's freaky.. So how long did it take them to get a new truck out to you after that ?
I basically gave them another 24 hours to produce my truck I put a deposit on. They got another truck from another dealership in Kentucky. Sounds harsh but this was my first two weeks living in Ohio (I orderd the truck and delivery was to coincide when I moved there) and the dealership manager didn't know what happened to the trucks. He doubted they caught on fire after I told them what we saw on the news. So I called the freight company that ships the vehicles and he called the dealership to confirm my story. When my truck arrived, the whole process was about 10 minutes since all the paperwork was done. I was thankful my mom was visiting from CA because she watched the kids so I can pick up the truck.

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page