October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....) - Page 362 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 244Likes

post #10831 of 10847 Old 08-29-2014, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post
General Kenobi is Awesome! General Kenobi is Awesome when he is part of our team. General Kenobi is Awesome!

Predators will not kill them either, unless pressed. As witnessed in the original Alien Vs Predator when the predator did not kill Weyland since he detected the cancer (or whatever) in him.

I can't recall jackets or trailers getting me. I do remember being 16 and taking a date to Alien, at original release, and being so freaked by the movie I didn't even try anything with my date.

I don't remember the Alien trailer because I was only 3 at that time! But I love the sounds at the end of this trailer! Pretty damn scary imo!
GoCaboNow and stevew24963 like this.

October HorrorFest Participant
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10832 of 10847 Old 08-29-2014, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Was 4 or 5, remember asking to rent it on video and it being a no go. But I also remember my brother and I having 12" or so Alien dolls that were remarkably awesome by the toy standards of the time.

Not sure why but it was Friday the 13th Part III that traumatized me the most, I didn't see it in 3D but I suspect some of the pop out gags particularly the skull crush were too much for my 8 year old mind.
post #10833 of 10847 Old 08-30-2014, 01:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 148
'As Above So Below' I saw it, A couple of caveats, there a level of shakey cam in this and if you are claustrophobic this movie is not for you. There is blood but not creature ripped their heart out gore. There are supernatural forces at work and when things move underground things get weirder and weirder. If you didn't like the cave diving in "The Descent' you won't get into this.
Without really giving too much away, The story set up is a doctor is looking for something that an alchemist buried beneath Paris, there may be treasure, and the gates of hell are involved. Or it could be the real gates of hell.
Things start out slow ( in a good way) and when they go south they really go south. The dialog is very key to parts of this and it's important to take it all in, it will make things the less confusing. Things are not overly explained, so you will get draw you own conclusions.
It's good for a supernatural suspense movie, just don't expect a horror film. There is a good level of what the hell is going on suspense. I liked it. The film is from the Dowdle brothers you might know some of their work.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #10834 of 10847 Old 08-30-2014, 04:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
'As Above So Below' I saw it, A couple of caveats, there a level of shakey cam in this and if you are claustrophobic this movie is not for you.
I don't care for the shaky camera stuff but I can tolerate it to a point. Blair Witch, V/H/S, and REC didn't bother me too much. I could not watch Irreversible. That one got the honorary "Oink" treatment.
post #10835 of 10847 Old 08-30-2014, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 115
I think tolerance of 'shaky cam' comes with owning a camera yourself. It becomes a novel idea of watching some amateur's capture of an event much like how we like to watch someone YouTube video of same. There's often more creativity in one of these low budget found footage movies than in multi-million dollar tentpole movies where innovation has been stifled by too many cooks.

I finished the 10 episodes of Robert Rodriguez's "From Dusk Till Dawn". My summation is that Rodriguez is good at making movies but not so much a TV series. Maybe a six rich episode series would have been just right as it seemed to run out of steam.
post #10836 of 10847 Old 08-30-2014, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
I think tolerance of 'shaky cam' comes with owning a camera yourself. It becomes a novel idea of watching some amateur's capture of an event much like how we like to watch someone YouTube video of same. There's often more creativity in one of these low budget found footage movies than in multi-million dollar tentpole movies where innovation has been stifled by too many cooks.

I finished the 10 episodes of Robert Rodriguez's "From Dusk Till Dawn". My summation is that Rodriguez is good at making movies but not so much a TV series. Maybe a six rich episode series would have been just right as it seemed to run out of steam.
If you're showing a video documentation be a fiction or reality shakey cam is realistic. Steadicam would be nice, but usually isn't practical. Try climbing a mountain with one.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #10837 of 10847 Old 08-30-2014, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 725
True Tales of Horror.

Last night we partied with the rival sportsball school. They had Bugattis in the house and didn't care if our kids sat on them. I waited all night for mine to snap the mirror off and bring it over like a trophy. Also, Tito's vodka is God Tier.

WP_20140829_002.jpg

WP_20140829_006.jpg
ApolloCreed and stevew24963 like this.
post #10838 of 10847 Old Yesterday, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 129
I had watched the first half of Sharknado-2 but then with vacation and some health stuff i never finished it.

But the other day i watched it, started back from the beginning. Totally loved it. I sat there with a big smile on my face the whole time. The ultimate in campy fun, and this one made great use of my home town New York which i really loved.

Now i cant wait for Sharknado-3, its coming in 2015.

never take life seriously
post #10839 of 10847 Old Yesterday, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post
I had watched the first half of Sharknado-2 but then with vacation and some health stuff i never finished it.

But the other day i watched it, started back from the beginning. Totally loved it. I sat there with a big smile on my face the whole time. The ultimate in campy fun, and this one made great use of my home town New York which i really loved.

Now i cant wait for Sharknado-3, its coming in 2015.
Sharknado 3 . Glad you had fun, where is 3 set, are they saying ?

post #10840 of 10847 Old Today, 04:48 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 4
We watch Oculus and found it quite disturbing. The LFE in it is some of the best I have heard though my SVS subs. Pretty good horror movie. But disturbing in a way.
post #10841 of 10847 Old Today, 04:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
Sharknado 3 . Glad you had fun, where is 3 set, are they saying ?
So far no info on location, wow, couldnt be better than New York, that was so great. We got NY and LA so far, where would you set the next one if you had a choice? Chicago maybe? How about Washington DC? I love that these take place in cities rather than so many horror movies that take place in the woods.

never take life seriously
post #10842 of 10847 Old Today, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
So far no info on location, wow, couldnt be better than New York, that was so great. We got NY and LA so far, where would you set the next one if you had a choice?
Denver.
post #10843 of 10847 Old Today, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Z Nation

Series premiere September 12th on Syfy. I hope this is a good one. It has DJ Qualls in it so that's a plus.

yankeeman likes this.
post #10844 of 10847 Old Today, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 725
True Tales of Terror

Best Buy is installing some modest surround speakers and some outside units today. He wants to customize my Harmony and reassign my AVR inputs. I will stake his ass for touching my levels. Just land the wire where I say.
post #10845 of 10847 Old Today, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
So far no info on location, wow, couldnt be better than New York, that was so great. We got NY and LA so far, where would you set the next one if you had a choice? Chicago maybe? How about Washington DC? I love that these take place in cities rather than so many horror movies that take place in the woods.
Chicago, possibly Vancouver, maybe Houston.

post #10846 of 10847 Old Today, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpepper007 View Post
We watch Oculus and found it quite disturbing. The LFE in it is some of the best I have heard though my SVS subs. Pretty good horror movie. But disturbing in a way.
Disturbing is good for horror

post #10847 of 10847 Old Today, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 115
If they handle "Z Nation" like they did "Helix" and a few of their other shows they may post the first three episodes on their web site and on Hulu. Then you wait another month for each of the remaining.
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page