October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....) - Page 364 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 483Likes

post #10891 of 11164 Old 09-07-2014, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post
Been away on vacation for a week and I am happy to report that my trip was not a horror movie! My son has issues with the security TSA checks and he did a great job this time around. The beach was great, food was great, Disney was great (I cannot believe my kids lasted 8 hours in 91 degree weather!), overall the best family trip I have ever had!

I see some cool lists already taking shape and I like what I see! I had to get my horror fix in and decided to watch The Crazies (2010) today. Fun bloody flick and the BD has decent A/V to boot!
Glad you had a good time. This time of year, the heat and humidity is a horror in itself.
BornSlippyZ likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10892 of 11164 Old 09-07-2014, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aras_Volodka View Post
If anyone else has recommendations regarding slow walking zombie movies I'm all ears. I think I've seen it all but perhaps I might have missed some.
Have you seen Plan 9 From Outer Space?
Full movie download here: https://archive.org/details/Plan_9_f...ter_Space_1959
post #10893 of 11164 Old 09-07-2014, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
Anyone planning on a rewatch of Lords of Salem? It's not perfect but it is weird and I like that.
I'm still not sure how I feel about that one. I might give it another spin. I've had that movie in the back of my mind since you mentioned it so tonight I decided to take a look at the extras. I dug the blu-ray out from the bottom of the pile and there wasn't anything "extra" on it except the audio commentary track.
post #10894 of 11164 Old 09-08-2014, 01:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew24963 View Post
Glad you had a good time. This time of year, the heat and humidity is a horror in itself.
Monsoonal moisture is not your friend...Can relate

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #10895 of 11164 Old 09-08-2014, 02:29 AM
AVS Special Member

The working list of what I'll be watching potentially These discs are things I've never seen or things I've never seen on Blu-ray/ HD-DVD (or even the odd DVD) or haven't seen in a long time.
30 Days of Night
Chernobyl Diaries
Cube 2: Hypercube
Deliver Us From Evil
Drag Me to Hell
Feast
Ghostbusters
Grindhouse: Planet Terror/Death Proof
Hostel 1 and 2 (I've seen Hostel 3 but not 1 and 2, weird I know..)
Livide
Phantasm: Oblivion
Prince of Darkness
The Apparition
The Collector
The Quiet Ones
The Ring
And of course there are the usual tis the season re-watchers,
Assorted Hellraisers
The Conjuring

Then there is Netflix streaming and disc for House of the Devil and Lord of Illusions. And Gojira (Godzilla) if the disc is ever available.
it's one of those very long wait Criterion.
And of course Sharknado (you guys have worn me down )
General Kenobi likes this.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #10896 of 11164 Old 09-08-2014, 02:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Anyone planning on a rewatch of Lords of Salem? It's not perfect but it is weird and I like that.
Watched it twice last year, so I'm caught up . Weird yes, not that much fun though.

post #10897 of 11164 Old 09-08-2014, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
The working list of what I'll be watching potentially These discs are things I've never seen or things I've never seen on Blu-ray/ HD-DVD (or even the odd DVD) or haven't seen in a long time.
30 Days of Night
Chernobyl Diaries
Deliver Us From Evil
Drag Me to Hell
Feast
Ghostbusters
Livide
Prince of Darkness
The Apparition
The Collector
The Quiet Ones
The Ring
Assorted Hellraisers
The Conjuring

Then there is Netflix streaming and disc for House of the Devil and Lord of Illusions. And Gojira (Godzilla) if the disc is ever available.
30 Days of Night and Chernobyl Diaries are really good. Ghostbusters, while one of my fav films of alltime, i just dont consider a horror film, but its super.

As to the Hostel movies, you will love 1 and 2, to me they are much better than 3. I am gonna watch all three of them again this coming October.

The Cube movie is interesting for sure.

Enjoy!!

never take life seriously
post #10898 of 11164 Old 09-08-2014, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 771
Quote:
30 Days of Night
Chernobyl Diaries
Deliver Us From Evil
Drag Me to Hell
Feast
Ghostbusters
Livide
Prince of Darkness
The Apparition
The Collector
The Quiet Ones
The Ring
Assorted Hellraisers
The Conjuring

Drag Me To Hell is pretty fantastic.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Steam: Guts
post #10899 of 11164 Old 09-08-2014, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
It just might be the first one I watch in October!
I would like to see DEAD Girl 2 - Dead girl's revenge. Or something like that. What happens
Spoiler!

Quote:
Been away on vacation for a week and I am happy to report that my trip was not a horror movie! My son has issues with the security TSA checks and he did a great job this time around. The beach was great, food was great, Disney was great (I cannot believe my kids lasted 8 hours in 91 degree weather!), overall the best family trip I have ever had!

I see some cool lists already taking shape and I like what I see! I had to get my horror fix in and decided to watch The Crazies (2010) today. Fun bloody flick and the BD has decent A/V to boot!
+
That's a long day. My youngest is doing fall softball and we had a double header yesterday. 6 hours in 90 degree heat, but very low humidity and I thought that was hot.

The bass in Crazies is very good! Good movie. The last part dragged for me but the first half is excellent and the scene in tent was a lot of creepy fun.

Quote:
Films I'm going to watch:

Planet Terror
Paranormal activity
Possesion
Drag me to Hell
The Orphanage
Shawn of the Dead
Dawn if the Dead (remake) (because I can't afford to buy the originals... what's up with that?) / Land of the Dead/ Diary of the Dead
The crazies
Evil Dead 2
28 days later

If anyone else has recommendations regarding slow walking zombie movies I'm all ears. I think I've seen it all but perhaps I might have missed some. I know this is blasphemy, but I'm not a fan of Italian/ Canadian Zombie flicks. I've yet to see Juan of the Dead... but that's a fast zombie flick if I recall.
French films Mutants (2009) and La Horde, also from 2009, are solid zombie flics.

I have not been too in to the Italian flics I have seen. But I have not seen a ton either...
Quote:
30 Days of Night
Chernobyl Diaries
Deliver Us From Evil
Drag Me to Hell
Feast
Ghostbusters
Livide
Prince of Darkness
The Apparition
The Collector
The Quiet Ones
The Ring
Assorted Hellraisers
The Conjuring

Nice list. I enjoyed the first FEAST, need to find time to work on my list but this is what I have so far for first time views. Hoping to add some more to this list and then supplement with 10-15 of my favorites during October.
Wolf Creek Wolf Creek 2 Afflicted Odd Thomas All Cheerleaders Die Oculus Only Lovers Left Alive Leprechaun: Origins Cabin Fever: Patient Zero P-51 Dragon Fighter Open Grave The Seasoning House Livid (Livide) Stiches Among the Living Rogue. Absentia Nekromantik Under the skin

post #10900 of 11164 Old 09-08-2014, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 235
I just looked and saw Shout! is releasing a lot of Horror movies on BD, From Beyond, The Howling, Halloween 2!

October HorrorFest Participant
post #10901 of 11164 Old 09-08-2014, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Watched it twice last year, so I'm caught up . Weird yes, not that much fun though.

I didn't hate it but I will pass this year. My wife hated it and said it was garbage. Her idea of a good horror movie is anything with Vincent Price or old fashioned ghost stories. She has taken a liking to zombies and post apocalyptic stuff now. She hates over the top gore, torture, nudity, etc. and says if a movie has to have that in it then the story sucks. She has a very specific and narrow taste in horror movies so it takes us forever to find something we will both watch. I think the sweet spot for both of us is anything made in the 70's or 80's. Her favorites are The Exorcist and The Shining, followed by the original Halloween and things of that sort.

post #10902 of 11164 Old 09-08-2014, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post
French films Mutants (2009) and La Horde, also from 2009, are solid zombie flics.

I have not been too in to the Italian flics I have seen. But I have not seen a ton either...
Cool TY! I'll check them out. I guess among the zombie crowd a few of the Italian flicks have cult status, but I didn't enjoy them. I think the famous one has an infamous scene where a girl gets a giant wood splinter from a door that goes through her eye? (it might have just been called "Zombie"), I mean it was ok, but the Italian-ness of it didn't give me the halloween-ish vibe I seek for October.
post #10903 of 11164 Old 09-08-2014, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Clive Barker related question......
Lord of Illusions is only available on DVD. No blu ray on the horizon. I have seen the theatrical cut but never the unrated or directors cut. Is it worth it to buy a dvd of the director's cut or just rent it as need be from netflix which doesn't have the directors cut (so I've read), and see if MGM goes into their vault to make a Hi-Def version.
Just saw there's a pre order for this on BD. Merry Christmas!
tenthplanet likes this.

The above post is 100% medically accurate

31 Days of Horror:

post #10904 of 11164 Old 09-08-2014, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzack View Post
Yep another Shout Factory release!

post #10905 of 11164 Old 09-08-2014, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone7 View Post
I didn't hate it but I will pass this year. My wife hated it and said it was garbage. Her idea of a good horror movie is anything with Vincent Price or old fashioned ghost stories. She has taken a liking to zombies and post apocalyptic stuff now. She hates over the top gore, torture, nudity, etc. and says if a movie has to have that in it then the story sucks. She has a very specific and narrow taste in horror movies so it takes us forever to find something we will both watch. I think the sweet spot for both of us is anything made in the 70's or 80's. Her favorites are The Exorcist and The Shining, followed by the original Halloween and things of that sort.
Good classics, but good luck finding much from the 70 and 80's without nudity - lol.

My wife does not care for gore or agony stuff either so I have to find more mainstream, or crossover, horror for her to watch with me. Like Prometheus, Pacific Rim etc.
Quote:
Cool TY! I'll check them out. I guess among the zombie crowd a few of the Italian flicks have cult status, but I didn't enjoy them. I think the famous one has an infamous scene where a girl gets a giant wood splinter from a door that goes through her eye? (it might have just been called "Zombie"), I mean it was ok, but the Italian-ness of it didn't give me the halloween-ish vibe I seek for October.
I think it is probably historical context - at the time they broke ground etc. If you can appreciate that maybe it's better? But also the style is weird to me. I do get a big kick out of Euro trash horror. Is so awkward and different compared to what is normal here - but that is part of the charm. Suspira just didn't do it for me though. I don't think I am sophisticated enough to appreciate it.
Aras_Volodka likes this.

post #10906 of 11164 Old 09-08-2014, 07:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
I just looked and saw Shout! is releasing a lot of Horror movies on BD, From Beyond, The Howling, Halloween 2!

Yep, noticed some of these titles on Amazon last night. Truthfully, was hoping to find The Howling streaming for free on Amazon Prime or Netflix. No go. Very interested to see it again, but not enough to buy it.

post #10907 of 11164 Old 09-09-2014, 03:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzack View Post
Ordered ! Thanks

post #10908 of 11164 Old 09-09-2014, 04:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloCreed View Post
Yep, noticed some of these titles on Amazon last night. Truthfully, was hoping to find The Howling streaming for free on Amazon Prime or Netflix. No go. Very interested to see it again, but not enough to buy it.
I am with you on that and I would only buy a few of these movies if they have re-watchability.

post #10909 of 11164 Old 09-09-2014, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Its possible. I've seen it two or three times already. Certainly not perfect, agreed, but the style and creep factor are solid.

Quote:
Films I'm going to watch:

Planet Terror
Paranormal activity
Possesion
Drag me to Hell
The Orphanage
Shawn of the Dead
Dawn if the Dead (remake) (because I can't afford to buy the originals... what's up with that?) / Land of the Dead/ Diary of the Dead
The crazies
Evil Dead 2
28 days later

If anyone else has recommendations regarding slow walking zombie movies I'm all ears. I think I've seen it all but perhaps I might have missed some. I know this is blasphemy, but I'm not a fan of Italian/ Canadian Zombie flicks. I've yet to see Juan of the Dead... but that's a fast zombie flick if I recall.

I also have "the Thing" but I prefer to watch that in wintertime for some weird reason.

Good list. I'm a big fan of the PA series and The Orphanage is top notch. 28 Days Later is also pretty legit.

Quote:
30 Days of Night
Chernobyl Diaries
Deliver Us From Evil
Drag Me to Hell
Feast
Ghostbusters
Livide
Prince of Darkness
The Apparition
The Collector
The Quiet Ones
The Ring
Assorted Hellraisers
The Conjuring

Another good list. I'm excited to see The Quiet Ones and Deliver Us From Evil. Those two are on my list for sure. 30 Days has always been a personal favorite and The Ring is near the top of the horror heap IMO. Livide and The Conjuring are also great watches. Not sure if you've seen the Grindhouse flicks, but just so you know.....Death Proof is not a horror movie. A great watch, no doubt about it......just not scary at all. More of a revenge thriller with the classic style of the one and only QT.

post #10910 of 11164 Old 09-09-2014, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloCreed View Post
30 Days has always been a personal favorite...
The Dark Days sequel is pretty good too.
post #10911 of 11164 Old 09-09-2014, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
The Dark Days sequel is pretty good too.

Yep, not bad. The first one was definitely superior IMO though. Great cinematography and surround presentation (especially the LFE). Very atmospheric.

post #10912 of 11164 Old 09-09-2014, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Not quite horror but much in that vein is the British dark comedy "Sightseers" which is available on Netflix. It's about a particularly weird couple going on a trip across country.

The indie distributors will be rolling out this month their horror offerings in time for the Halloween season.
post #10913 of 11164 Old 09-10-2014, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Hey guys, sorry I've been MIA lately, dealing with some very not fun personal stuff. October will be messy for me, at least the first half but I'll watch what I can and will have more time the second half of the month to try and catch up. I'm not making a list, don't have the time, but will keep one as i go like we always do. I still need to clean up the messy hyperlinks in my sig... ugh
yankeeman likes this.

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

post #10914 of 11164 Old 09-10-2014, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post
Hey guys, sorry I've been MIA lately, dealing with some very not fun personal stuff. October will be messy for me, at least the first half but I'll watch what I can and will have more time the second half of the month to try and catch up. I'm not making a list, don't have the time, but will keep one as i go like we always do. I still need to clean up the messy hyperlinks in my sig... ugh
Well wishes and positive energy to you in the format of your choosing.
tenthplanet likes this.

Steam: Guts
post #10915 of 11164 Old 09-10-2014, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

Hang in there. This too shall pass...

post #10916 of 11164 Old 09-10-2014, 10:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Agreed. Take care GK

post #10917 of 11164 Old 09-10-2014, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hard to top that, but keep rockin GK!

post #10918 of 11164 Old 09-10-2014, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Thanks, you guys rawk.

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

post #10919 of 11164 Old 09-10-2014, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Kenobi, best of luck with everything.

Hope things work out well and that you can join us here anytime during the month of October.

never take life seriously
post #10920 of 11164 Old 09-10-2014, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Keep your chin up Kenobi!

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version