October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....) - Page 37 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 244Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1081 of 10847 Old 10-21-2010, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
General Kenobi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kalifornistan
Posts: 5,910
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post

Great looking pictures above!!!!!! I could never do that at work, never had a boss who would allow it. People who can do stuff like that are really lucky.

Way to go.

It's kinda funny because not only do they not communicate and rules or restrictions on content but I have people asking me when it will be ready and what I'm doing this year... I've been putting a lot into it so hopefully it turns out.

I think tonight will be Texas Chainsaw... I'm ready for something brutal tonight.

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

 

2012

2011

2010

2009

General Kenobi is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1082 of 10847 Old 10-21-2010, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member
 
ApolloCreed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: MN
Posts: 853
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Nice to see you are still checking in, Airboss. Good luck with the move. I know for me, packing everything up and moving to a new home was absoutely the worst thing in the world. On the bright side though, moving in was always kind of fun. Deciding where to put things and buying new stuff, etc.

You do realize that we'll be expecting nothing short of 213 flicks for next year though, right? If anyone can do it, I'm sure it would be you.
ApolloCreed is offline  
post #1083 of 10847 Old 10-21-2010, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
darthrsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Post America America
Posts: 8,538
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloCreed View Post

Nice to see you are still checking in, Airboss. Good luck with the move. I know for me, packing everything up and moving to a new home was absoutely the worst thing in the world. On the bright side though, moving in was always kind of fun. Deciding where to put things and buying new stuff, etc.

You do realize that we'll be expecting nothing short of 213 flicks for next year though, right? If anyone can do it, I'm sure it would be you.

Agreed, moving is terrible and great. On another note, I thought I was doing good with my 34.
darthrsg is offline  
post #1084 of 10847 Old 10-21-2010, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
FendersRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northwest
Posts: 1,695
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloCreed View Post

And once again I will respectfully disagree. This will be my last post on this and I apologize for all the banter, folks. First off, I disagree with the theory of the same formula with the F13th series. The first 2 are not of the same formula as all the rest. The first 2 were (especially the first one) fairly well thought out and there was a good amount of suspense that kept us interested. The problem began with the 3rd one, where there is no suspense and we are left with mindless killing and body counts. Now that I am an adult, I just don't enjoy those types of movies anymore. As a kid and later as a teenager.......yes........body count was most likely very important to me. I mean, I remember really enjoying ANOES and F13th series. I also like watching the occasional horror movie that is so bad, its entertaining just like some comedies are so dumb, they're hilarious. In this case however, I felt that F13th Pt. III (and only this movie in particular) had no such redeeming qualities. Keep in mind that I am not demeaning the entire Slasher movie genre. That point seems to be getting lost in this whole debate.

What it really comes down to, is that for me, horror series' (or multiple sequels) normally don't work (at least not as an adult). Saw, Friday the 13th, ANOES and in some respects Halloween. That same formula that we are talking about is what kills it for me because creativity gets lost as we go and it is hard to introduce anything new that provides any real substance to the overall story. And yes, I understand that the point is not to change anything, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

At first, I was understanding your point. You only like "original" movies, and tend to disregard sequels because they are "less creative" or to be more accurate on my phrasing, "it's harder to add anything creative". Then I started to read more carefully, and then you stated you also like Friday the 13th Part 2. I can't really reply on The Exorcist III because I have not seen it, but like me try to break this down conceptually for you on the Friday the 13ths.

Friday the 13ths all share the same formula (atleast 1-4, and arguably 5 at times). Here are the main constants (defined as something that doesn't change) of the formula for Friday the 13ths 1-4. These are unarguably apparent in the original, and all of the "main" sequels. Main sequels being defined as 2-4 primarily:

A) Have an external environment that people are less secure in. This is why they all take place in the forest or more exactly, Camp Crystal Lake. This is what Wes Craven was talking about in your previous post. Wes Craven used the "dream environment" for Freddy Krueger. The producers of Friday the 13th (Sean Cunningham) used the campground setting for theirs. John Carpenter had balls, and used your own neighborhood for his.

B) Bring stupid teenagers to the environment and set them up just enough so that their exploits can be executed. The common trait between every one of these teenagers in the Friday the 13th movies is that they are innately "young/helpless/stupid" and hedonistic (which means, they seek pleasure which is sex in this case, and to avoid pain). If you don't see a character that resembles these traits, then they are likely the main characters and will last longer.

C) Have a killer who murders people off one by one, and make the effect gruesome and stand out. Reason for this is that adds more suspense (something that you and I both enjoy) because you can't really kill everyone at the same time and have it be that suspenseful. Also, seeing the antagonist perform a gruesome effect allows for a "payoff" for the audience. Suspense (chase) + Payoff (death) is a common equation for every slasher movie. Many new movies (even some of Zombies, especially his version of Halloween) fail to add the suspense proportionally with the payoff, which is something that I can explain more in depth later when asked.

D) Have a lead character (typically someone who is "smarter" than the rest so that they can survive) come out on top at the very end, and overcome the killer. This is usually a female, but rarely can also be a male (as shown in A Nightmare on Elm Street 2, which didn't work out so well).

E) Have a soundtrack that exploits the mood and the feel of the movie.

F) Have a REASON for the kills, so that they are no completely random and meaningless. The reason in Friday the 13th, is called sex, something that you may be aware of, and is something used to EXPLOIT the teenagers so that they have a reason to die. SEX is the main exploitation of Friday the 13th--Fact. People die because they have sex, period. Why is it sex? Because the previous campground counselors were having sex when Jason drowned as a child, and this was his mother's reasoning.

G) Have a surprise ending of some sort, something that lets the audience know that "it isn't over, yet".

Now, we have the constants listed. Let's take a look at the original and "primary sequels":

Friday the 13th Part 1: A, B, C, D, E, F, and G.

Friday the 13th Part 2: A, B, C, D, E, F, and G. Variable C has been altered to resemble that Jason is now the killer, or more appropriately, "hillbilly" Jason.

Friday the 13th Part 3: A, B, C, D, E, F, and G. Variable C has been altered to resemble that Jason has now taken his appropriate form.

Friday the 13th Part 4: A, B, C, D, E, F, and G. Variable C has been altered to resemble that Jason has really died, and Tommy Jarvis now must take on the role of Jason.

With this, we can understand that these movies are basically the same damn thing, especially being that they use the same (or vast majority) of the crew who shot the first film. To repeat, they all contain the same soundtrack rendition, the same stupid exploited characters (vast majority of them are exploited for sex), the same setting, the same gruesome kills, the same "fair" acting (which is why acting is not important in these types of movies), and the same empty "plot". The only thing that varies is the killer's form throughout the primary sequels. As mentioned, the first Friday the 13th is a mystery film, because we don't get to see the killer until the later part of the movie (even though the same exact constants happen). Additionally, every sequel after you see the killer right from the get-go...

It's one thing to have an opinion, but it's another thing to entirely blast a movie's intentions (in this case, Friday the 13th Part 3) because you simply don't get it. You claim the actors are "terrible" (which is the intention, and the standard set by even the first one). You claim the dialog is terrible (which is the intention, and the standard set by even the first one). You claim there isn't any creativity (which is a standard set by even the first one).

Know now, that Friday the 13ths are not "great" movies, simply because they are not all that creative in the first place, and they rely entirely on substance (tits, deaths, blood). Yes, this also includes Friday the 13th Part 1. This shouldn't be new information to you. Personally, I couldn't rate them above a 6.5/10 at best, and Friday the 13th Part 3 is no better than 6/10 IMO. However, claiming that it's a ".75/5" which equates to a "1.5/10" is quite idiotic (no offense). On a personal level, Friday the 13th Part 3 is not as good as Friday the 13th Part 2, 4. However, there are many instances where I think it's better than the first one, mainly including the proponent of PACING.

Now, with all this in mind, if I were to do the same analysis as what I did above to A Nightmare on Elm Street, you would see much more variation in the sequels, with many sequels completely delineating from the standard formula and thus, creating crappy ass sequels (2, 5, and 6). As I've explained to you before, Friday the 13th as a franchise has more solid sequels than ANOES because they kept the formula unchanged. ANOES tried to change things (some being helpful, while other changes being hurtful). One MAJOR thing, is that the first A Nightmare on Elm Street didn't really exploit the characters. What this means, is that when the teenagers died, there wasn't any direct reason or intention (other that their parents may have been involved with killing Freddy Krueger in the first place so he choses to terrorize the kids). However, how they died was completely random. With the sequels of ANOES, comes the exploitation, and that is where it really gets fun. Every single damn character in ANOES 3/4 gets exploited and killed accordingly, and it's comical, hilarious, and down right cynical and menacing how they die. While you say "loss of creativity", I say it's a gain in creativity. The simple fact that killing someone because of a reason is more entertaining that killing someone at random. This statement no only includes the intention, but also stresses the method of killing used by the antagonist.

Apollo- since you are trying to paint everything black and white, I stress you to actually watch Friday the 13th Part 5. The characters and dialogue are fantastically comical and downright entertaining, if not on the stupid side and makes for a great movie with alcohol. However, in one way, it's also a mystery movie just like the Friday the 13th Part 1, because you simply don't find out who the killer is until the very end. This is a clear blend of everything, and is something that you may want to take a look at.
FendersRule is offline  
post #1085 of 10847 Old 10-21-2010, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
wizzack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Jersey
Posts: 2,462
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Yes good luck Airboss! Sounds like you are really busy but will be really happy in the end. I always appreciate the heads up you give us on the hard to find movies that nobody's seen. Maybe you'll have time at least for an Amityville Horror movie - that would seem fitting!

OK Yankeeman you got me. If we all had the same taste the world would be pretty freaking boring.

Kenobi I don't see how you could lose this year - after seeing one picture!

The above post is 100% medically accurate

 

31 Days of Horror:

2013

2012
2011
2010
2009
2008

wizzack is offline  
post #1086 of 10847 Old 10-21-2010, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
General Kenobi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kalifornistan
Posts: 5,910
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Airboss - You've been missed this year, hope the move is as painless as possible. I know you will at least make time to see The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Nest next weekend

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

 

2012

2011

2010

2009

General Kenobi is online now  
post #1087 of 10847 Old 10-21-2010, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
wizzack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Jersey
Posts: 2,462
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Let me get this right: Apollo rating F13 part III a .75 sparked a dissertation on the F13 series and what looks like an algebra problem 3 posts above?


The above post is 100% medically accurate

 

31 Days of Horror:

2013

2012
2011
2010
2009
2008

wizzack is offline  
post #1088 of 10847 Old 10-21-2010, 03:41 PM
Member
 
skatalitegp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by FendersRule View Post

At first, I was understanding your point. You only like "original" movies, and tend to disregard sequels because they are "less creative" or to be more accurate on my phrasing, "it's harder to add anything creative". Then I started to read more carefully, and then you stated you also like Friday the 13th Part 2. I can't really reply on The Exorcist III because I have not seen it, but like me try to break this down conceptually for you on the Friday the 13ths.

Friday the 13ths all share the same formula (atleast 1-4, and arguably 5 at times). Here are the main constants (defined as something that doesn't change) of the formula for Friday the 13ths 1-4. These are unarguably apparent in the original, and all of the "main" sequels. Main sequels being defined as 2-4 primarily:

A) Have an external environment that people are less secure in. This is why they all take place in the forest or more exactly, Camp Crystal Lake. This is what Wes Craven was talking about in your previous post. Wes Craven used the "dream environment" for Freddy Krueger. The producers of Friday the 13th (Sean Cunningham) used the campground setting for theirs. John Carpenter had balls, and used your own neighborhood for his.

B) Bring stupid teenagers to the environment and set them up just enough so that their exploits can be executed. The common trait between every one of these teenagers in the Friday the 13th movies is that they are innately "young/helpless/stupid" and hedonistic (which means, they seek pleasure which is sex in this case, and to avoid pain). If you don't see a character that resembles these traits, then they are likely the main characters and will last longer.

C) Have a killer who murders people off one by one, and make the effect gruesome and stand out. Reason for this is that adds more suspense (something that you and I both enjoy) because you can't really kill everyone at the same time and have it be that suspenseful. Also, seeing the antagonist perform a gruesome effect allows for a "payoff" for the audience. Suspense (chase) + Payoff (death) is a common equation for every slasher movie. Many new movies (even some of Zombies, especially his version of Halloween) fail to add the suspense proportionally with the payoff, which is something that I can explain more in depth later when asked.

D) Have a lead character (typically someone who is "smarter" than the rest so that they can survive) come out on top at the very end, and overcome the killer. This is usually a female, but rarely can also be a male (as shown in A Nightmare on Elm Street 2, which didn't work out so well).

E) Have a soundtrack that exploits the mood and the feel of the movie.

F) Have a REASON for the kills, so that they are no completely random and meaningless. The reason in Friday the 13th, is called sex, something that you may be aware of, and is something used to EXPLOIT the teenagers so that they have a reason to die. SEX is the main exploitation of Friday the 13th--Fact. People die because they have sex, period. Why is it sex? Because the previous campground counselors were having sex when Jason drowned as a child, and this was his mother's reasoning.

G) Have a surprise ending of some sort, something that lets the audience know that "it isn't over, yet".

Now, we have the constants listed. Let's take a look at the original and "primary sequels":

Friday the 13th Part 1: A, B, C, D, E, F, and G.

Friday the 13th Part 2: A, B, C, D, E, F, and G. One added variable is Jason is now the killer, or more appropriately, "hillbilly" Jason.

Friday the 13th Part 3: A, B, C, D, E, F, and G. One added variable is Jason has now taken his appropriate form.

Friday the 13th Part 4: A, B, C, D, E, F, and G. One added variable is Jason has really died, and Tommy Jarvis now must take on the role of Jason.

With this, we can understand that these movies are basically the same damn thing, especially being that they use the same (or vast majority) of the crew who shot the first film. To repeat, they all contain the same soundtrack rendition, the same stupid exploited characters (vast majority of them are exploited for sex), the same setting, the same gruesome kills, the same "fair" acting (which is why acting is not important in these types of movies), and the same empty "plot". The only thing that varies is the killer's form throughout the primary sequels. As mentioned, the first Friday the 13th is a mystery film, because we don't get to see the killer until the later part of the movie (even though the same exact constants happen). Additionally, every sequel after you see the killer right from the get-go...

It's one thing to have an opinion, but it's another thing to entirely blast a movie's intentions (in this case, Friday the 13th Part 3) because you simply don't get it. You claim the actors are "terrible" (which is the intention, and the standard set by even the first one). You claim the dialog is terrible (which is the intention, and the standard set by even the first one). You claim there isn't any creativity (which is a standard set by even the first one).

Know now, that Friday the 13ths are not "great" movies, simply because they are not all that creative in the first place, and they rely entirely on substance (tits, deaths, blood). Yes, this also includes Friday the 13th Part 1. This shouldn't be new information to you. Personally, I couldn't rate them above a 6.5/10 at best, and Friday the 13th Part 3 is no better than 6/10 IMO. However, claiming that it's a ".75/5" which equates to a "1.5/10" is quite idiotic (no offense). On a personal level, Friday the 13th Part 3 is not as good as Friday the 13th Part 2, 4. However, there are many instances where I think it's better than the first one, mainly including the proponent of PACING.

Now, with all this in mind, if I were to do the same analysis as what I did above to A Nightmare on Elm Street, you would see much more variation in the sequels, with many sequels completely delineating from the standard formula and thus, creating crappy ass sequels (2, 5, and 6). As I've explained to you before, Friday the 13th as a franchise has more solid sequels than ANOES because they kept the formula unchanged. ANOES tried to change things (some being helpful, while other changes being hurtful). One MAJOR thing, is that the first A Nightmare on Elm Street didn't really exploit the characters. What this means, is that when the teenagers died, there wasn't any direct reason or intention (other that their parents may have been involved with killing Freddy Krueger in the first place so he choses to terrorize the kids). However, how they died was completely random. With the sequels of ANOES, comes the exploitation, and that is where it really gets fun. Every single damn character in ANOES 3/4 gets exploited and killed accordingly, and it's comical, hilarious, and down right cynical and menacing how they die. While you say "loss of creativity", I say it's a gain in creativity. The simple fact that killing someone because of a reason is more entertaining that killing someone at random. This statement no only includes the intention, but also stresses the method of killing used by the antagonist.

Apollo- since you are trying to paint everything black and white, I stress you to actually watch Friday the 13th Part 5. The characters and dialogue are fantastically comical and downright entertaining, if not on the stupid side and makes for a great movie with alcohol. However, in one way, it's also a mystery movie just like the Friday the 13th Part 1, because you simply don't find out who the killer is until the very end. This is a clear blend of everything, and is something that you may want to take a look at.

Fenders reminds me of Randy from "Scream."

Randy: There are certain rules that one must abide by in order to create a successful sequel. Number one: The body count is always bigger. Number two: The death scenes are always much more elaborate - more blood, more gore... "Carnage candy." And number three: Never, ever, under any circumstances, assume the killer is dead.

Randy: There's always some stupid ******** reason to kill your girlfriend. That's the beauty of it all! Simplicity! Besides, if it gets too complicated, you lose your target audience.

Randy: The police are always off track with this ****! If they'd watch Prom Night, they'd save time! There's a formula to it. A very simple formula!

Writer Kevin Williamson and horror film icon Wes Craven spelled it out for all of us. They just used the comic relief to explain it all in the "Scream" films.

Fenders is spot-on. Good read, man.
skatalitegp is offline  
post #1089 of 10847 Old 10-21-2010, 04:41 PM
Advanced Member
 
ApolloCreed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: MN
Posts: 853
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Bad news on the review front fellas. Fenders' slasher movie analyses have actually caused me to hate F13th Pt. III more than I did previously. Therefore my rating has been changed from .75 to .50 to reflect this.

Ok, now I'm done. Seriously this time. But I just may check out F13th V as you suggested Fenders. Just not tonight though. On deck for tonight is Deadgirl followed by the new episodes of Its Always Sunny in Philadephia and The League.
ApolloCreed is offline  
post #1090 of 10847 Old 10-21-2010, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
FendersRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northwest
Posts: 1,695
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Awww, educating should have a positive effect Apollo, and not a negative effect!!! We all know that if you got a bunch of friends together and a few six packs or a bottle of wine (like you should with every Friday movie), then we are fairly sure you would have a blast with it, and change your rating from a blasphemy .75 to a 2.5-3 where it belongs

Friday the 13th Part 5 would be a gamble for you. I recommended it to spite you somewhat because it shares some things in common from Part 3 (some overly stupid characters for the purpose of being exploited as explained), but also the aspect of Part 1 (mystery of the killer). Imagine every character being like the prankster in Part 3, and being killed for being stupid as well, it's just you don't know who the killer is until the end. One amazing aspect of Part 5, is that the body count is 22!!!

You should probably watch Part 4 first, as that's considered a fan favorite (I like it more than Part 3 and I think it matches Part 2, and I think most fans would say the same). I'd even go as far to say that Part 4 is arguably the best entry in the series because it's re-watchable as hell among other reasons. Then in the future, it gives you a precursor when you finally watch Part 5 (so you know who this "Tommy Jarvis" dude is). FYI, Part 4 has Corey Feldman, pacing is amazing, and it has plenty of suspense and likable-hearted characters. You'd probably see Part 4 as being the ultimate blend of Friday the 13th, so I wouldn't play that one off. The fluctuation of ratings at IMDB.com resemble exactly what I'm saying as well.

Parts 6, 7, and the rest should be watched with warning that the constants are remarkably different from the prior sequels, but it doesn't make them non-watchable though as they are entertaining in a mild way.

I felt like I extracted all my knowledge of Friday the 13th. Have fun with the information guys, and let it help you when deciding on which Friday movies to watch! I'm surprised that no one else is talking about Friday the 13th other than me. Maybe I'm just saying all the right things
FendersRule is offline  
post #1091 of 10847 Old 10-21-2010, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
BMaugans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Acworth, GA
Posts: 1,027
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Moviefone's Best Foreign Monster Movies Ever

http://blog.moviefone.com/2010/10/21...onster-movies/
BMaugans is offline  
post #1092 of 10847 Old 10-21-2010, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
wizzack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Jersey
Posts: 2,462
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 125
10/21

Blood and Lace (1971) Netflix streaming *not on dvd

First time viewing. Right off the bat I recognized a part of the music. It sounds very similar to what you hear in the beginning of Hard Eight and I think the parking lot scene in Boogie Nights. Was PTA a fan of this movie?

Blood and Lace is way ahead of its time. Part slasher part murder mystery with an interesting twist. After witnessing her whore mother's murder Elle is forced to stay at an Orphanage until she's 21. Here's the problem: Elle is a free spirited babe and the old hussy that runs the orphanage is crooked & murders kids. Uncle Leo from Seinfeld does a great job at playing the creepy handyman and Mel from TV's Alice is also a nice addition as the caring yet self serving detective. I was smitten with Melody Patterson after watching and was sad to see she didn't do too many other movies. Tame by today's standards but very good. B

The above post is 100% medically accurate

 

31 Days of Horror:

2013

2012
2011
2010
2009
2008

wizzack is offline  
post #1093 of 10847 Old 10-21-2010, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
wizzack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Jersey
Posts: 2,462
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 125
I've been on a horror print craze as of late. Since there's been a lot of F13 and ANOES talk figured I would share. Got these 2 on the way:





The Jason print is still available if any of you maniacs are interested.

http://london1888.bigcartel.com/

The above post is 100% medically accurate

 

31 Days of Horror:

2013

2012
2011
2010
2009
2008

wizzack is offline  
post #1094 of 10847 Old 10-21-2010, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
darthrsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Post America America
Posts: 8,538
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 725
35. Devil's Den, 2006. B grade but takes some interesting pokes at the genre. Some funny bits throughout. 2/5
darthrsg is offline  
post #1095 of 10847 Old 10-21-2010, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
FendersRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northwest
Posts: 1,695
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I enjoy the "They Live" T-shirt, but it should have some more clues from the movie!
FendersRule is offline  
post #1096 of 10847 Old 10-21-2010, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
darthrsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Post America America
Posts: 8,538
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 725
darthrsg is offline  
post #1097 of 10847 Old 10-21-2010, 11:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
General Kenobi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kalifornistan
Posts: 5,910
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

A horror themed video...


As much as I loathe rap and hip hop I have to give it up to Will Smith

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

 

2012

2011

2010

2009

General Kenobi is online now  
post #1098 of 10847 Old 10-21-2010, 11:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
General Kenobi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kalifornistan
Posts: 5,910
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 335
23. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003) - Rating 4/5. I'm in the minority that thinks this was well done. I'd like to have seen some of the graphic scenes from the New Beginning in this one but how ca you go wrong with "Gunny" and Biel with those jeans painted on, and a chainsaw massacre... what's not to love?

24. Halloween (2007) - Rating 4/5 - Another case where I really enjoyed this remake, the added past was nice and the extra violence helped make Michael scary again IMO. Solid effort.


1. Return of the Living Dead 1985 - Rating 3/5.
2. Man Bites Dog - Rating 3/5
3. An American Werewolf in London - Rating 5/5
4. Hostel - Rating 4/5
5. Amityville Horror (2005) - Rating 3/5
6. In The Company of Wolves - Rating 4/5
7. Se7en - Rating 5/5.
8. Splice - Rating 1/5
9. Nightmare on Elm St. (2010) - Rating 2/5
10. The Midnight Meat Train - Rating 4/5.
11. The Exorcist (1973) - Rating 5/5
12. Dark Water (2002) - Rating 1/5
13. Frozen - Rating 4/5
14. The Horde - Rating 2/5
15. Suspiria - Rating 4/5
16. Inferno - Rating 2/5
17. Creepshow - Rating 4/5
18. Lake Mungo - Rating 2/5
19. Rawhead Rex - Rating 3/5
20. Triangle - Rating 5/5
21. Sweeney Todd - Rating 5/5
22. Sick Nurses - Rating 1/5
23. Night of the Creeps - Rating 3/5
24. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003) - Rating 4/5
24. Halloween (2007) - Rating 4/5

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

 

2012

2011

2010

2009

General Kenobi is online now  
post #1099 of 10847 Old 10-21-2010, 11:59 PM
AVS Special Member
 
FendersRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northwest
Posts: 1,695
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
General Kenobi, your last post has me bitting my teeth but I will resist!

John Carpenter's Christine 7.0/10

Such a solid amazing movie from John Carpenter. Story is based on a Stephen King novel, and it's one of the few really good Steven King movies. You can really connect with all of the characters, including Christine. Carpenter successfully made a car with a soul. I'm in awe of this movie, even though it's not on my Carpenter top 5 (shows how good John Carpenter really is). This film is an instant classic within the horror genre, and somewhat close to a masterpiece of it's kind, no kidding.
FendersRule is offline  
post #1100 of 10847 Old 10-22-2010, 05:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
darthrsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Post America America
Posts: 8,538
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 725
darthrsg is offline  
post #1101 of 10847 Old 10-22-2010, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Wytchone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: LaPlace, La.
Posts: 4,589
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post

How close is it to the first one? I loved the first one, its one of my top top favorite vampire movies.

It picks up at the end of the first one, so very close. Same Mythology, same type vamps, etc. It is worth a watch but I would give it a 6/10 vs the first one. Don't want to spoil it , so let me know what you think of it.
Wytchone is offline  
post #1102 of 10847 Old 10-22-2010, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Airboss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 2,838
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloCreed View Post

Nice to see you are still checking in, Airboss. Good luck with the move. I know for me, packing everything up and moving to a new home was absoutely the worst thing in the world. On the bright side though, moving in was always kind of fun. Deciding where to put things and buying new stuff, etc.

You do realize that we'll be expecting nothing short of 213 flicks for next year though, right? If anyone can do it, I'm sure it would be you.

Thanks ApolloCreed. I'm really missing the fun this year, I may have to do my own Horrorfest once I get settled. Don't know about 213 but perhaps I can squeeze in 113 again.

Yea, moving sucks big time but you're right, once the move is complete the fun part begins. Although I will be challenged setting up my theater. A major problem with my new house is the low ceilings downstairs where I plan to build my theater. I will be forced to use my 120" screen vice my 133" screen.

At any rate back to the topic of this thread - There have been many good movies listed, can't wait to begin viewing some of them.

Enjoy guys!

"Marines have no qualms about killing Martians"

2011 List

2009 List

2008 List
Airboss is offline  
post #1103 of 10847 Old 10-22-2010, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Airboss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 2,838
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzack View Post

Yes good luck Airboss! Sounds like you are really busy but will be really happy in the end. I always appreciate the heads up you give us on the hard to find movies that nobody's seen. Maybe you'll have time at least for an Amityville Horror movie - that would seem fitting!

OK Yankeeman you got me. If we all had the same taste the world would be pretty freaking boring.

Kenobi I don't see how you could lose this year - after seeing one picture!

"Amityville"... that gives me a great idea wizzack, once settled I think I'll watch a few horror movies involving moving into houses that are more than they seem to be. Any other suggestions on that theme?

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

Airboss - You've been missed this year, hope the move is as painless as possible. I know you will at least make time to see The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Nest next weekend

General K, I've seen all three movies in the Millennium Trilogy but a re-watch is definitely overdue.

"Marines have no qualms about killing Martians"

2011 List

2009 List

2008 List
Airboss is offline  
post #1104 of 10847 Old 10-22-2010, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member
 
darthrsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Post America America
Posts: 8,538
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 725
Airboss,

100 Feet is about moving into a house, Burnt Offerings too.
darthrsg is offline  
post #1105 of 10847 Old 10-22-2010, 06:25 AM
Advanced Member
 
ApolloCreed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: MN
Posts: 853
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

23. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003) - Rating 4/5. I'm in the minority that thinks this was well done. I'd like to have seen some of the graphic scenes from the New Beginning in this one but how ca you go wrong with "Gunny" and Biel with those jeans painted on, and a chainsaw massacre... what's not to love?

24. Halloween (2007) - Rating 4/5 - Another case where I really enjoyed this remake, the added past was nice and the extra violence helped make Michael scary again IMO. Solid effort.

I couldn't agree more Kenobi. The TCM remake (and New Beginning) were well done indeed. And Halloween......well we know how I feel about that one. Loved the added background on how Michael came into his own.
ApolloCreed is offline  
post #1106 of 10847 Old 10-22-2010, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
wizzack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Jersey
Posts: 2,462
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboss View Post

"Amityville"... that gives me a great idea wizzack, once settled I think I'll watch a few horror movies involving moving into houses that are more than they seem to be. Any other suggestions on that theme?

Hmm not sure if they're about moving in but I remember House being a good time. Decent for a horror comedy but I'm sure you've probably seen it.

Airboss you'll have to share some setup pics and specs once you get settled in. Low ceilings? Dig out the floor!

I crave for the day I finally have a basement.

The above post is 100% medically accurate

 

31 Days of Horror:

2013

2012
2011
2010
2009
2008

wizzack is offline  
post #1107 of 10847 Old 10-22-2010, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
wizzack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Jersey
Posts: 2,462
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

As much as I loathe rap and hip hop I have to give it up to Will Smith

Great song! And the video was great too. A shame New Line nixed it on them.

The above post is 100% medically accurate

 

31 Days of Horror:

2013

2012
2011
2010
2009
2008

wizzack is offline  
post #1108 of 10847 Old 10-22-2010, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member
 
yankeeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: SOUTH FLORIDA
Posts: 2,480
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 129
OH YES, THERE WILL BE BLOOD.

Saw-2 was my movie this morning. Many people dont like it, many people dont like most or all of the sequels, i am not one of those people. I love the Saw movies. John, Amanda, the traps, the game, the rules, i love it.

This movie, which is disliked by so many, i really enjoyed. Had a bunch of good traps, especially the pit of needles, the razors that you put your arms into, the crematorium, etc.

I enjoyed John being on screen so much, i really like his character. It also showed how you have to really play by the rules and also how you have to closely listen to what you are told.

Its gonna be too hard for me to try to rate this whole series in a manner where i get all the movies in order of best to worse, i am just gonna watch each movie and rate it right after i finish, and not worry about what ratings i have given the other Saw movies. I rate this an 8.5.

My list so far, with ratings on a 1-10 scale:
1 - Grotesque - 9.25
2 - MOH Haeckels Tale - 4.5
3 - MOH Jenifer - 7
4 - MOH Pick Me Up - 5
5 - Murder-Set-Pieces - 7.5
6 - MOH Dance Of The Dead - 3.5
7 - MOH The Screwfly Solution - 4.5
8 - MOH Right To Die - 7.25
9 - Underworld - 9.25
10- The Last House On The Left - 9.25
11- Street Trash - 3
12- MOH Family - 7
13- Hannibal - 9.25
14- Fear Dot Com - 8
15- Pulse - 8
16- Deadgirl - 9
17- The Hitcher - 8
18- Return To House On Haunted Hill - 5
19- Saw - 9.5
20- Saw-2 - 8.5

never take life seriously
yankeeman is offline  
post #1109 of 10847 Old 10-22-2010, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
General Kenobi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kalifornistan
Posts: 5,910
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboss View Post

"Amityville"... that gives me a great idea wizzack, once settled I think I'll watch a few horror movies involving moving into houses that are more than they seem to be. Any other suggestions on that theme?



General K, I've seen all three movies in the Millennium Trilogy but a re-watch is definitely overdue.

Haunting in Connecticut wasn't bad... on a lighter note The Burbs could give you some good prank ideas for your new neighbors "What's in the cellar Klopek!?"

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

 

2012

2011

2010

2009

General Kenobi is online now  
post #1110 of 10847 Old 10-22-2010, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
wizzack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Jersey
Posts: 2,462
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Ahh the Saw and Final Destination series. Gotta love them!

There's something about movies where the killer's tool is essentially a Rube Goldberg machine that keeps me coming back. Light in story but rich in inventive ways to maim and murder the victims. I see some Saw in my future.

The above post is 100% medically accurate

 

31 Days of Horror:

2013

2012
2011
2010
2009
2008

wizzack is offline  
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off