October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....) - Page 370 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-27-2014, 10:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post
Hey guys, when does Netflix ship out their disks? I have had my queue filled since Thursday but I haven't got a ship on Frankenstiens Army yet. A few years back I thought they shipped out the next business day? Oh well I guess I will give them a call on Monday to see what the problem is.
Going by my own experience, we have two Netflix facilities in the area both within about a hour- to hour and half drive. If I have a disc in a mail box say on a Monday night, around 5am Tuesday I'll get an e-mail saying it's received, and late Tuesday afternoon another saying the next disc has shipped. Wednesday it's in my mail box at home.
Have you been getting the status e-mails from Netflix? Also I have had the rare occasion of delays of a disc getting to Netflix, when i stopped having them picked up from home that problem went away. Always put the envelopes in a mail box if you can.
BornSlippyZ likes this.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2014, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
Going by my own experience, we have two Netflix facilities in the area both within about a hour- to hour and half drive. If I have a disc in a mail box say on a Monday night, around 5am Tuesday I'll get an e-mail saying it's received, and late Tuesday afternoon another saying the next disc has shipped. Wednesday it's in my mail box at home.
Have you been getting the status e-mails from Netflix? Also I have had the rare occasion of delays of a disc getting to Netflix, when i stopped having them picked up from home that problem went away. Always put the envelopes in a mail box if you can.
I called them last night, and I was surprised they have 24/7 customer service! They said they will mail them out Monday and should get Frank's Army on Tuesday. It has been a while since I used NF and in CA they use to put the status as I built up my queue. Good news is streaming on NF has really improved in the past 5 years since I last used it.

I am holding over with a bunch of documentaries but the Horror movies are calling my name!

October HorrorFest Participant
Old 09-28-2014, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 538
Quote:
I am holding over with a bunch of documentaries but the Horror movies are calling my name!
While waiting for October I've been keeping myself entertained with Hitchcock. I've watched Rear Window, Vertigo, North by Northwest and Notorious this past week.
BornSlippyZ and The Mice like this.
Old 09-28-2014, 07:33 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloCreed View Post
Really struggling here guys. I'm surrounded by horror movies that I can't (won't) watch and Halloween props that I'm convinced are snickering at me behind my back........Not sure if I can hold out much longer. I'm gonna try to watch Monuments Men tonight to hold me off til I fall asleep, but I know damn well The Devil's Advocate is on my dvr........just a few button pushes away.........waiting to satisfy the urge that threatens to consume me. Pray for me, my friends.

Seriously though, it really is hard to hold off right now. I think I'm gonna mix up a Long Island, re-evaluate the situation and just see what happens.

Yeah that's why I tried to dig out horror movie-related stuff like my History Classics America's Most Haunted Places collection. Stuff like that helps fill the void while we go through the wait. Luckily we are very close now to October!
Old 09-28-2014, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 771 Post(s)
Liked: 1162
We've been preparing for the season by watching CNN/Fox. Beheadings, Ebola, more war, donkeys and elephants trying to kill everyone, psycho cops, flesh eating Russian drugs, mystery viruses, Colin Farrel and Vince Vaughn in True Detective, well...hell. At this point Leatherface is as fun as Big Bird and in all reality my kid will probably see Texas Chainsaw before she watches the news.
BornSlippyZ likes this.

"When crazy is standard, sane needs a name tag."
Old 09-28-2014, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 87
We watched April Fool's Day (1986) the other night. It's too hard to wait, and we have more than 31 new ones waiting to go (knowing we're going to go back to some of our favorites as well). So, we're covered.
Old 09-28-2014, 01:50 PM

*2013*

*22. Texas Chainsaw Massacre (Original) – 4.5
I watched this on my own, and it brought me back around. I like that it helped support my world view in that the hitchhiker scene went almost exactly as I imagine it would be like to pick up a hitchhiker. Classic movie, great atmosphere, all around great. I was very surprised that it has been and continues to be put on lists of most gruesome or bloody horror movies. There is almost no blood in it at all, which probably speaks to how effectively they set the tone. It also makes you feel bad about yourself for both wishing for and then being satisfied by the murder of a disabled gentleman in a wheelchair. That guy was a prick.

*23. The Brood – 4.5
I thought this quote seemed relevant:
“Only a woman can understand the psychic bond between a mother and her phenegenetically-conceived rage-babies.” - Helen Keller
Seriously, someone should tell Mr. Cronenberg to get checked. There may be something wrong with him. This movie had a phenomenal build up and disgusting pay off. I was going to watch it in several parts, but got sucked in and stayed up late to finish it. It definitely had me looking to the shadows as I headed upstairs to bed. This was also around the time all the kids were bundling up for fall weather. It made pre-school drop-off unnerving. I had considered just going in swinging to be safe, but restrained myself.

*24. Carrie (2013) – 3.0
We caught this in the theater. It was pretty good, but didn’t have much of an edge. Although they clearly were trying hard to ramp it up for the ending. I think Chloe Moretz is a great actress and has played this type of character very well in other movies. She fell flat in this one. So, I’m not sure who to blame, could have been a directing or editing issue.

*25. The Descent – 5.0
Like I said, I don’t watch a lot of recent stuff unless it’s been well-vetted. I’ve seen almost universal praise for this movie, and it lived up to it. It scared me several times and had an excellent general atmosphere of dread. The first full appearance of one of the creatures startled me and then made me chuckle. I think they nailed that interaction perfectly.

*26. People Under the Stairs – 2.5
Another miss from Wes (not on this list necessarily, I’m just not a huge fan). This one was particularly disappointing. I remember being at a friend’s house one night when his older sister and her friends were watching this movie. We weren’t allowed to watch, but we could hear it, and it sounded freaky. Watching it now, it started out that way, but failed to deliver. It went from creepy psycho movie to slapstick comedy to general action movie with some social commentary thrown in, and then ended on a classic 90s note with the horrible faux-hip-hop song, money floating in the air above a crowd of gawkers while the disturbing “People” escaped back into society (looking like surfer dudes with a skin condition). And the attempt at urban dialogue was embarrassing. It also suffered from the same false-danger scenario as Halloween: Resurrection: The main character, who is a child, runs across the room to punch the main bad guy in the dick before he runs back across the room and escapes in an air shaft. The whole time the bad guy has a loaded shotgun, and has demonstrated throughout the course of the movie that he is both skilled at and willing to kill just about anyone. Absolutely ridiculous.

*27. The Beyond – 2.0
My other Fulci movie. I was really looking forward to this psychotic descent into insanity. It was lackluster. Nothing much really happens. It’s like a series of random shots put together. Maybe his vision extended beyond his capability on this one. The spider scene was impossible to take seriously or be grossed out by. The more complicated the practical effects got, the more it required the actors (or their flesh-dummies) to lie perfectly still so the prop guys could make the creatures successfully rip some stuff up.

28. Scream – 4.0
This got the wife back into it. I love how cutting edge it was at the time around its use of cell phones as a plot device, but how outdated it is now.

29. Scream 2 – 3.5
I think this is a pretty strong sequel, as far as sequels go.

*30. Suspiria -
Honestly, I’m not sure where to rate this. As I look over my list and try to decide what I think it’s better or worse than, I’m finding it hard to place. I know Argento is the master, and he definitely set a mood with his shots and music, but the movie didn’t do much for me. It’s like he was so busy setting a mood that he forgot to tell a story. I honestly think back on it now and can’t remember why any of those girls were scared of the people who ran that school. Nothing really unfolded with that until the final scene, and the only reason they were plotting against anyone was due to the meddling (sorry if this makes no sense, trying to avoid spoilers). Learn dance, mind your business, graduate and get a job with a dance company. It seems pretty easy.

31. Evil Dead II – 5.0
Boom, it had been long enough I was able to convince the wife to give this a whirl. Definitely my favorite of all of them, and I think she enjoyed it more as well.

*32. Pieces – 4.5
This movie was right up my alley. I have a hard time rating it a 5. It’s certainly not a “good” movie, but it is thoroughly entertaining. This is the craziness I was expecting from Italian horror movies. Two interesting notes on this one: The UPC for the standard version (with the blond on the cover, the chainsaw across her and the thick, red border) is the same as the UPC for “Sweatin’ to the Oldies 4”. I know, because I ordered it used on Amazon, and got Richard Simmons instead. I thought they were messing with me, but they refunded my money. I proceeded to try to order it 4 more times from 4 different vendors. Each one processed my order, and then cancelled it the next day. I assume they were checking their stock and realized they didn’t have the movie I ordered.

I ended up ordering the 2-disc special edition. I inadvertently ripped a bonus audio track with a live audience recording from an Alamo Drafthouse-style theater. I was incredibly confused at first, but then it really helped me get into it. I was watching alone, very late at night, and was getting pretty tired in general by this point in the month. It helped me push through.
Old 09-28-2014, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tydq View Post
*2013*

Spoiler!
Were you with us last year?

Old 09-28-2014, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 234
After giving up on Netflix last night, not due to network problems but due to a bad audio file when served to Chromecast, I played the "most popular" horror film on Hulu+. Maybe a lot of stoners watch Hulu+ horror but this was a bit of an amateur production and another "found footage" work called "Oija Experiment". Gets better as it moves on but probably most here won't last more than 5 minutes.
Old 09-28-2014, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
After giving up on Netflix last night, not due to network problems but due to a bad audio file when served to Chromecast, I played the "most popular" horror film on Hulu+. Maybe a lot of stoners watch Hulu+ horror but this was a bit of an amateur production and another "found footage" work called "Oija Experiment". Gets better as it moves on but probably most here won't last more than 5 minutes.
Ever try Crackle? Quality is SD but they sometimes have a decent flick or two.
Old 09-28-2014, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
Ever try Crackle? Quality is SD but they sometimes have a decent flick or two.
Crackle is also in HD on some streaming devices.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
Old 09-29-2014, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tydq View Post
*2013*

*32. Pieces – 4.5
This movie was right up my alley. I have a hard time rating it a 5. It’s certainly not a “good” movie, but it is thoroughly entertaining. This is the craziness I was expecting from Italian horror movies. Two interesting notes on this one: The UPC for the standard version (with the blond on the cover, the chainsaw across her and the thick, red border) is the same as the UPC for “Sweatin’ to the Oldies 4”. I know, because I ordered it used on Amazon, and got Richard Simmons instead. I thought they were messing with me, but they refunded my money. I proceeded to try to order it 4 more times from 4 different vendors. Each one processed my order, and then cancelled it the next day. I assume they were checking their stock and realized they didn’t have the movie I ordered.

I ended up ordering the 2-disc special edition. I inadvertently ripped a bonus audio track with a live audience recording from an Alamo Drafthouse-style theater. I was incredibly confused at first, but then it really helped me get into it. I was watching alone, very late at night, and was getting pretty tired in general by this point in the month. It helped me push through.
Excellent pick! Pieces is so much fun exspecially with a group. I think Fulci will grow on you. Those Fabio Frizzi scores...ahhh.

The above post is 100% medically accurate

31 Days of Horror: 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009 2008
Old 09-29-2014, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Were you with us last year?
I participated, but wasn't posting. I'm catching up on last year, and am going to try to post in real-time this year.
Old 09-29-2014, 10:35 AM

*2013 - this ends the month for me. Thanks for putting up with these long posts, if you read them.*

*33. Return of the Living Dead 2 – 1.5
Blech! What a half-assed attempt. The original is one of my all-time favorites, and I would easily rate it a 5. By the end of this, in much the same way Brenda relented to her zombie-boyfriend’s pestering to let him eat her brains (by way of the skull, which is the worst way!), I just laid back and let the movie have its way with me. The two main guys from the first were giving it their best, but it almost made it worse with how lackluster everyone else was. I read up on it afterward and saw that the director didn’t want to be typecast as a horror/comedy guy, and didn’t want to do the movie. Everything made sense at that point.

*34. Rare Exports – 3.5
This was a pretty good movie, but didn’t go as far as I wanted it to. Demon Santa didn’t need to be huge so long as he was doing some hardcore, evil stuff. Unfortunately, he ended up never coming into play, and the tone changed significantly by the end. I liked Troll Hunter much better.

35. Slaughter High – 5.0/3.5
Two scores on this one. One for me and one for the general public. I’m going to write a review on this separately, and it’s probably going to be long.

*36. Let Me In – 4.0
I thought this was an excellent take on the vampire story. I have the original as well, just haven’t watched it yet. I’ve heard both are excellent, but the original is better. After seeing this one, I’m excited about that. It almost has a gritty, procedural feel to it like Se7en or Zodiac, but with vampires.

*37. Re-Animator – 5.0
This is right up my alley. There is something about 80s movies like this one or ROTLD that is just off, but in a good way. The settings (hospitals/morgues/whatever) are always kind of gray and abnormal. It makes everything feel like a bad dream. I love it. Plus, it had a disembodied head’s body lowering said head into his beloved’s bathing-suit area – classic. I felt so bad for him.

38. Death Becomes Her – 3.0
Rating it a little low relative to the rest of the list, because it’s not really a horror movie, but it’s close. This is what the wife wanted to end on (I continued on afterward).

*39. Dog Soldiers – 3.0
This was pretty good. I was hoping for a lot more since we were combining werewolves with the guy who made The Descent. It sort of leveled out into something average for me. He failed to follow the rules of his own universe. You can’t start with wolves so overpowered that you can’t even see them while they eviscerate you and then end with a somewhat even-up boxing match in the kitchen. Lazy. He made the situation impossible, then couldn’t get his characters out of it.

40. The Shining – 5.0
Obvious rating. Not a FTV, but I think I had only seen TV edits before. There was a lot of unexpected stuff for me. I found the movie to be full of a rich subtext of symbolism and subtle rhetoric. Someone should really delve in deep and see if they can tease some of that out of there.

*41. Scanners – 3.5
I was really excited about this one, especially after The Brood. It wasn’t as strong, but had some good gore.

*42. Pontypool – 3.5
I was impressed with the concept of this movie. They also did a really good job of building an atmosphere of tension. The ending was…not good, but I’m not really sure what I would’ve preferred. It was a good attempt at something original.
ApolloCreed likes this.
Old 09-29-2014, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzack View Post
Excellent pick! Pieces is so much fun exspecially with a group. I think Fulci will grow on you. Those Fabio Frizzi scores...ahhh.
Indeed, your posts about it and the general discussion that followed are what convinced me I had to see it. I know some people who own a local venue, and they show movies every once in a while. I was really hoping I could get them to screen it this year, but I didn't follow through with it early enough and they've already got October scheduled I'm going to make sure they see this movie before next October.
Old 09-29-2014, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
Crackle is also in HD on some streaming devices.
I believe that Crackle is a Sony property and they seem to put about a dozen of their projects on each BD player. So I've watched some things on Crackle and yes some of the titles were in HD even on my ancient 480 series player. Thing is titles seem to languish there for months without much of anything compelling to watch that I couldn't get sans ads on Netflix. I also have the Chromecast enabled Crackle app and should see if they try to serve targeted ads. The shows on Hulu+ are probably DASH encoded and the ads not. The BD player has the buffer for the ads but the Chromecast chokes because it probably doesn't have a big enough buffer. The ads need to be DASH too but I bet they don't want to do that.
Old 09-29-2014, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm starting tomorrow night. I have to pretty much split a movie across the night and into the morning unless I watch on the iPad which is a fate worse than death.

Old 09-29-2014, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'm starting tomorrow night. I have to pretty much split a movie across the night and into the morning unless I watch on the iPad which is a fate worse than death.
I might do that but I will have TF4 to tie me over, that is unless I get some extra time at night!

I also noticed some streaming movies on netflix (HD content) the audio is neutered! Frank's Army is only in stereo so I know the BD will be heads over that streaming version!

Also Bob and Kenobi are MIA, I look forward to seeing their lists as well as others! tydq, I am watching Pontypool this time around and I would love to fit in Scanners if I can get in on BD.

Old 09-29-2014, 02:16 PM

Pontypool was recommended to me by a couple of people I know, plus it has been mentioned in here a few times, so I've added it to my list of stuff I intend to get to during the month of October. I'd also like to get my hands on the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre since it has been so many years since I last saw it and would love to check it out again.
Old 09-29-2014, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mice View Post
I'd also like to get my hands on the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre since it has been so many years since I last saw it and would love to check it out again.
It's on Syfy channel Friday October 10th at 6:00 PM (eastern).
Old 09-29-2014, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
It's on Syfy channel Friday October 10th at 6:00 PM (eastern).

That's awesome, unfortunately though I am in Canada and do not get that channel. However, I will do a search on my cable box and see if it is coming on for me at a future date in October. My cable box goes 2 weeks into the future, so if it is not in the listings now, I will check again each week. I'll probably end up buying the movie at some point but right now the 40th anniversary version is priced kinda steep here. Thanks anyway though!!!
Old 09-29-2014, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 397
Quote:
9pm west coast time tomorrow night it starts. Starting a little early works best for me since Halloween night I am usually busy with the kids later than normal.

Quote:
I might do that but I will have TF4 to tie me over, that is unless I get some extra time at night!

I also noticed some streaming movies on netflix (HD content) the audio is neutered! Frank's Army is only in stereo so I know the BD will be heads over that streaming version!

Also Bob and Kenobi are MIA, I look forward to seeing their lists as well as others! tydq, I am watching Pontypool this time around and I would love to fit in Scanners if I can get in on BD.
Don't know why but I suppose I'll pick up the TF4 Best Buy steelbook tomorrow.
I just hope it is SLIGHTLY better than 2 and 3. But my kids will probably like it and maybe SOMEDAY can play the ATMOS track.

In no particular order these are the first time views I have lined up. Then augment with some classics pending how good, or crappy, these are shaking out.

FTV
EDEN LAKE
INSIDEOUS - CHAPTER 2
WOLF CREEK
WOLF CREEK 2
DEAD BEFORE DAWN
DEAD SHADOWS
DEAD 2
THE PEOPLE UNDER THE STAIRS
REPULSION
GODZILLA 2000
GODZILLA 2014
HELLBENDERS
AFFLICTED
THE QUIET ONES
OCULUS
ROGUE
UNDER THE SKIN
CABIN FEVER - PATIENT ZERO
ONLY LOVERS LEFT ALIVE
STITCHES
PIECES
ODD THOMAS
COLD PREY 2
LE PACTE DES LOUPS
ALL CHEERLEADERS DIE
TROUBLE EVERYDAY
SHARKNADO
SHARKNADO 2
FRIDAY THE 13TH PART 8
GRAVE ENCOUNTERS
GRAVE ENCOUNTERS 2
ApolloCreed and BornSlippyZ like this.

My Dedicated Home Theater Room

Last edited by GoCaboNow; 09-30-2014 at 09:18 AM. Reason: WOLF CREEK not BLOOD CREEK
Old 09-29-2014, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mice View Post
That's awesome, unfortunately though I am in Canada and do not get that channel. However, I will do a search on my cable box and see if it is coming on for me at a future date in October. My cable box goes 2 weeks into the future, so if it is not in the listings now, I will check again each week. I'll probably end up buying the movie at some point but right now the 40th anniversary version is priced kinda steep here. Thanks anyway though!!!
I found the DVD Steelbook "2-Disc Ultimate Edition" in a discount bin a couple of years ago. I don't remember how much I paid for it but it was cheap.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post
9pm west coast time tomorrow night it starts. Starting a little early works best for me since Halloween night I am usually busy with the kids later than normal.

Don't know why but I suppose I'll pick up the TF4 Best Buy steelbook tomorrow.
I just hope it is SLIGHTLY better than 2 and 3. But my kids will probably like it and maybe SOMEDAY can play the ATMOS track.

In no particular order these are the first time views I have lined up. Then augment with some classics pending how good, or crappy, these are shaking out.

FTV
EDEN LAKE
INSIDEOUS - CHAPTER 2
BLOOD CREEK
BLOOD CREEK 2
DEAD BEFORE DAWN
DEAD SHADOWS
DEAD 2
THE PEOPLE UNDER THE STAIRS
REPULSION
GODZILLA 2000
GODZILLA 2014
HELLBENDERS
AFFLICTED
THE QUIET ONES
OCULUS
ROGUE
UNDER THE SKIN
CABIN FEVER - PATIENT ZERO
ONLY LOVERS LEFT ALIVE
STITCHES
PIECES
ODD THOMAS
COLD PREY 2
LE PACTE DES LOUPS
ALL CHEERLEADERS DIE
TROUBLE EVERYDAY
SHARKNADO
SHARKNADO 2
FRIDAY THE 13TH PART 8
GRAVE ENCOUNTERS
GRAVE ENCOUNTERS 2
Fun list!

I too will be mixing up summer blockbuster movie watching with my Horror fun?

Anybody buy the new Texas Chainsaw (1974)? If so give us a critique of the BD.

Anybody

Old 09-29-2014, 05:10 PM

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 1212
Quote:
Fun list!

I too will be mixing up summer blockbuster movie watching with my Horror fun?

Anybody buy the new Texas Chainsaw (1974)? If so give us a critique of the BD.

Anybody
The newly restored movie on BD looks great!

larry
BornSlippyZ likes this.

Serenity now!
Old 09-29-2014, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post
The newly restored movie on BD looks great!

larry
Sweet! That settles it then!
I was going to buy it for this month but I will put it on my Christmas list!

Edit: Well Netflix is pretty quick out here in Ohio and I got Franks Army in one business day!

Last edited by BornSlippyZ; 09-30-2014 at 08:55 AM.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:35 AM

*Last post for 2013, I swear. Sorry about the length*

35. Slaughter High – 5.0/3.5 (ratings for myself, then everyone else). There is a prologue, I bolded the paragraph that starts the movie review. This one was a doozy for me, here's why:

Alright, I will need to go way back on this one. So, I spent most of my life staying away from horror movies. I was exposed to some pretty gnarly ones at an early age, and the experience had a lasting impact. When I was younger, I had an overactive imagination and believed that the stuff I was seeing was actually possible (not real, in the sense that the movie was a documentary, but that something like this was happening or had happened to someone somewhere, sometime). I distinctly remember holding a belief when I was very young that all the people who died in movies were either robots, or people who wanted to die. So, they volunteered to be in the movie as part of a mutually-beneficial arrangement for the victim and the people making the movie. My wife actually turned this aversion around for me by getting me familiar with some of the more standard series (F13, Halloween, Nightmare, etc). My love for special effects, and the excitement I felt at watching the stuff that used to scare the crap out of me drew me back in, and now I have a tolerance for movies that go way beyond the point my wife is willing to watch.

Flash-forward to a few years ago: I was watching an episode from the second season of Tales From The Crypt and I unexpectedly ran across a couple scenes that had a huge impact on me when I was younger. I was at my friend’s house and we were flipping through channels. In the course of doing this, we happened to see both of these scenes independently, and I had no recollection of them being part of the same show: One was the type of scene I had mentioned above – alarmingly violent. It involved Tia Carrere getting her head smashed into a pillar repeatedly. (Tangent: the other scene was impactful in that it was incredibly informative of the mechanics of female anatomy. It involved a long shot from above where a classy gentleman was atop his mistress thrusting in a very distinct front-to-back motion, rather than straight up-and-down…light bulbs went off (in my mind)). Anyway, that got me thinking back to some of the other scenes from lesser-known movies that had a major impact on me. I was talking to a buddy at work about it and we ended up Googling a movie with a killer who wears a jester mask and is named Marty. Bingo – Slaughter High.

I was at a babysitter’s house during the day in the summertime when this movie was playing. I cannot for the life of me figure out why it was on. There was no one in the house who was old enough to watch it, other than the sitter. I remember being freaked out about it and leaving the room, then coming back to see if it was over and bearing witness to a grisly murder. This happened over-and-over again. The more I read the description, the less convinced I was that everything I remembered came from the same movie (similar to how my mind was dissociative of the two scenes mentioned above). “Eight different people are invited to their 10-year high school reunion at their now-closed down high school where a former student, disfigured from a prank gone wrong, is there to seek revenge.” I remembered a lawnmower murder, a hanging in a garage, someone taking a bath, someone drowning outside during the day, newspaper clippings notifying who was next, etc. If people are getting murdered at their reunion, why are they sticking around for several days, especially if the school is closed down? It was all blended together like a fever-dream, and it didn’t make any sense.

Well, I was walking through Best Buy last summer when one of those 8-pack horror sets snagged me by the eyeball. Bottom-center of the cover was a tile with an image for Slaughter High. It was on sale for $7.99, which was a no-brainer. The set also included Waxwork, which I was told was worth the price on its own. The guy at the register freaked out about it and pulled a “Target Lady” on me when he ran over to grab the last copy off the shelf and save it until his shift was over.

So, finally on to the movie: I had to give it a double rating since most people probably won’t view it the same way I did, unless they were also traumatized as a youngster. If you were, PM me, maybe we can go get a coffee sometime and talk about it…I actually did have anxiety associated with starting up the movie, but I was also pretty excited, because overcoming that anxiety is what has made horror movies so enticing to me. Overall, it added a lot to the experience. My wife’s experience was also enhanced, because every time something gruesome happened, she couldn’t help but to think of a young me being exposed to it. It was like trying to enjoy an R-rated movie in the theater when someone shows up with their 5-year old. It was an emotional rollercoaster for her, but at least she could take solace in knowing that I eventually got over it and turned out normal (-ish).

The whole movie came together well. Everything I remembered made sense as far as the plot was concerned, and it was all there. I hadn’t even overbuilt the murder scenes in my mind. Most of them were not as long as I remembered, but the detail was the same. This is actually why I rate this movie fairly high for the general public, as far as 2nd-tier slasher films from the ‘80s are concerned. They really went over the top to please everyone. There is a melty death, there are gory deaths, and there are straightforward slasher-style deaths. Some of them are simple; some are drawn out with complex machinations. I also found the killer to be very practical. Is that beefy fellow bench pressing the riding mower you just started up? Slash his arms a little – make him drop it on himself.

Also, they stuck with a general theme and took it to the extreme, which I respect. Similar to how Sleepaway Camp
Spoiler!
, Slaughter High did the same thing with bullying. We had watched several movies last October that had bullying in them, and they actually happened to be more recent releases (Carrie and Let Me In stand out in my mind, but I feel like there may have been another). But, Slaughter High took it to a much further extreme than any of the others we watched. They took what could’ve been a run-of-the-mill revenge-fantasy horror movie with some people getting cut and stabbed with some knives and stuff and got creative with it, which elevated the movie for me. You really wanted those A-holes to get their comeuppance, and it paid off
Spoiler!
. However, aside from this, it still has all the normal pitfalls of occasional weak acting, a fairly loose plot, etc (“We only have to survive until noon. Everyone knows April Fool’s Day ends at noon!”). I don’t expect it to be a life changing experience for everyone. But, if you like ‘80s horror, and are used to looking past the typical flaws that go along with it, you will probably enjoy this film.

If you read through all of that, I thank you for taking the time. You now know me intimately; please try to not make eye contact, and let’s never speak of this again.
darthrsg, wizzack and BornSlippyZ like this.

__________________________________________________ ___________________

Horrorfest 2013 (in 2014)

Horrorfest 2014
Old 09-30-2014, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Wow, October is about to start. Between watching as many horror movies as i can, and the regular shows i normally watch, and this weekend is a Formula 1 weekend which means 3 mornings of watching practice, qualifying, and the race, i am gonna be living in front of the tv. Imagine if the Yankees had made the post season, i would have to watch all their games too, but unfortunetely they didnt so that will make it easier to watch horror, but i would prefer to have them in it and deal with the problem.

Its great to have you guys to do this with every year!!!!

never take life seriously
Old 09-30-2014, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post
Wow, October is about to start. Between watching as many horror movies as i can, and the regular shows i normally watch, and this weekend is a Formula 1 weekend which means 3 mornings of watching practice, qualifying, and the race, i am gonna be living in front of the tv. Imagine if the Yankees had made the post season, i would have to watch all their games too, but unfortunetely they didnt so that will make it easier to watch horror, but i would prefer to have them in it and deal with the problem.

Its great to have you guys to do this with every year!!!!
This is AVS living in front of your TV is encouraged Watching Formula 1 excuses you from having to watch movies, and besides horror is best watched at night anyway.
yankeeman likes this.

Old 09-30-2014, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 313
I'm not sure how much I'll actually be here this October, with so many new things going on in my life, but I wanted to welcome everyone back for another year! Check out the attached poster I made for the occasion!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AVS horror marathon.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	308.8 KB
ID:	287905  

"I'LL SHOW YOU THE LIFE OF THE MIND!!!" - Barton Fink