AVS Forum banner

October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....)

1M views 37K replies 244 participants last post by  WilliamR 
#1 ·

*edit*

Watch as many horror movies you can take in 31 days.

Thirty-one total.  One a day.  Thirteen.  Twenty-two.  Six?

As many as you want, just have fun.

Every night (or day) in October! It's tough, but can it be done? I tried last year but ended up having to go away for business and it buggered up my schedule.

Half of the fun was creating the spreadsheet of movies/format/date.

Who's in with me?

See less See more
#7,421 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman  /t/1068270/october-fun-31-days-of-horror-blood-guts-and-gore-and-zombies-too/7410#post_23838985

Just found out my bro-in-law has more problems, he is sicker, they are moving him to a more specialized hospital, and we had to cancel our trip. I probably will have time to watch some movies the next few days now, but my heart and head arent into it. I need the diversion though, so i will do it.

Thoughts, prayers, well wishes, in the format of your choosing...

#7,422 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman  /t/1068270/october-fun-31-days-of-horror-blood-guts-and-gore-and-zombies-too/7410#post_23838985

Just found out my bro-in-law has more problems, he is sicker, they are moving him to a more specialized hospital, and we had to cancel our trip. I probably will have time to watch some movies the next few days now, but my heart and head arent into it. I need the diversion though, so i will do it.

Sorry to hear it man. Will say a prayer that he gets the care he needs. I know it's rough on the whole family when someone is not doing well so hang in there.

#7,423 ·

Quote:

Sorry to hear about your brother man! Sending prayers your way!

#7,426 ·
18-The amazing adventures of the living corpse – 2013 FTV. Had low expectations for this one so popped it in over lunch. Pretty good run on anime lately, but it ended here.

Crappy visuals(even on a bluray), audio and the movie itself was really uneven, and mostly crappy to lame. There was probably a good flic in there somewhere, and a couple of halfway interesting ideas, but was too lame, much too often, for this kind of flic.
2 not amazing Zombies

My October 2013 list

1-No One Lives -2012 FTV. 3 Psycho Zombies

2-Cockneys Vs Zombies – 2012 FTV 3.5 Cockney Zombies

3-Juan of the Dead – 2011 FTV. 3 dissident Zombies

4- Shaun of the Dead – 2004. 4 British Zombies

5-SPECIES II – 1998. 3.5 procreating Zombies

6-HALLOWEEN Rob Zombie style – 2007 FTV. 3 knife wielding Zombies

7-American Mary – 2013 FTV. 3 Modified Zombies

8- The Demented - 2012 FTV. -3.5 STINKER OF THE YEAR Zombies

9- Cemetery Man - 1994 FTV. 3 dinner plate Zombies

10-Trick r Treat – 2007. 4.5 old fashioned Zombies

11-OTIS – 2007 FTV. 4 no date to the prom Zombies

12-MANBORG – 2011 FTV. 5 ridiculously awesome Zombies

13-Frankenstein's Army - 2013 FTV. 4 Frankenstein Zombies

14-Vampire Hunter D: BLOODLUST – 2000 FTV. 4 Ghibli Zombies

15-Thale – 2013 FTV. 3 coulda shoulda woulda Zombies.

16- The skin I live in – FTV. 3 cringing Zombies

17-Evil Dead – 2013 FTV. 4 self amputee Zombies

18-The amazing adventures of the living corpse – 2013 FTV. 2 not amazing Zombies

#7,427 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman  /t/1068270/october-fun-31-days-of-horror-blood-guts-and-gore-and-zombies-too/7400_50#post_23838985

Man, sorry to hear that buddy. Makes it that much worse that you had to cancel your trip as well. Well, take care and all the best to you and your family. If anything, at least you've got the best team of therapists at your disposal right here on this forum.

#7,428 ·
Thanks to all who posted nice thoughts about me and my bro-in-law. Been a rough month, other problems too, nothing as major as him though.

Helps a lot to know I have such a great bunch of guys supporting me!! Thumbs up to all of ya!!!

#7,429 ·
Finally getting the pumpkin rolling again....

I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE 2

A perfect fantasy for those who enjoy the Bind, Rape, and Torture genre.

However, not my cup of tea...OINKED at an half hour.

V/H/S/2

This far surpasses the original.

Much more polished and creative.

Really enjoyed this one (in spite of some shakey-cam), with plenty of creepiness to go around.

4 outta 5 Wild Zombies.

#7,430 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink  /t/1068270/october-fun-31-days-of-horror-blood-guts-and-gore-and-zombies-too/7400_50#post_23841587

I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE 2

You missed Tchaikowsky. Watch the last 10 minutes... if you dare.

larry

#7,431 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink  /t/1068270/october-fun-31-days-of-horror-blood-guts-and-gore-and-zombies-too/7410#post_23841587

I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE 2

V/H/S/2

This far surpasses the original.

Much more polished and creative.

Really enjoyed this one (in spite of some shakey-cam), with plenty of creepiness to go around.

4 outta 5 Wild Zombies.

Cool that you liked VHS2! I might get I Spit on Your Grave 2 at RB if I run out of things to watch this weekend.

I took a break from the main horror genre and watched Pacific Rim in 3D last night. If you like the old Japanese robot cartoons (voltron, robotech etc) or Cloverfield you will like this movie! What is really cool is that GDT definitely put his stamp on this!

#7,432 ·
28. A Nightmare On Elm Street Part 2: Freddy's Revenge . A lot of people think this is a weak entry but I would disagree. It tries to be different. It plays on many social and suburban fears. Freddy gets right in from the start and destroys innocent daily things like school bus rides. He's moving in on young guy to take over his body so it plays out in more of a possession style. In the end love saves the day but we know Freddy will come back. 3 stars

LOVE THIS POSTER

This movie contains:

Exploding birds.

Gyrating dudes.

Self scalping.

Love conquering all.

29. A Nightmare On Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors . My personal favorite of the series. Freddy hits his stride here and pulls off some spectacular kills and comedy. Outstanding effects and a great story aren't hurting it either. Upon it's release I was 11 with a fascination about dreams. So much so I had read a few Carlos Castneda books so the ideas that the NOES series was displaying spoke to me. 4.5 stars

This movie contains:

Saying no to drugs.

Sitting too close to the TV.

Puppets.

#7,435 ·
16. V/H/S/2 (first-time viewing)

After disliking the original V/H/S, I wasn't too interested in watching the sequel, but I was swayed by the more positive reviews and my love of the anthology horror format. Boy, am I glad I didn't skip this one! So much better than the first, with some very imaginative and fun story lines and some genuine scares. Synopses for the main stories: 1. An experimental electronic eyeball installed in an injured man's head enables us to see his every action, and enables him to see ghosts. 2. When a mountain biker gets bitten by a zombie, a recreational helmet-cam gives us a first-person view from the zombie's perspective. 3. An apocalyptic insider's view of a bizzarre (and ultimately bloody) religious cult's secretive compound. Awesomely Asian! 4. Kids who enjoy pranking each other on video end up on the receiving end of something that's definitely not a prank. Only the wraparound story was ineffective and unnecessary. This movie definitely puts the franchise back on track and I'm looking forward to seeing what they do next! 3.5 out of 5 stars.

Bob's October 2013 Horror Movie List

FTV denotes first time viewing

1. Some Guy Who Kills People (FTV)

2. Uzumaki (FTV)

3. The Pact (2011) (FTV)

4. Midnight Son (FTV)

5. Excision (FTV)

6. Absentia (FTV)

7. Sleep Tight (FTV)

8. Lunacy (FTV)

9. Frankenstein's Army (FTV)

10. The Woman in Black (FTV)

11. Color Me Blood Red (FTV)

12. Chained (FTV)

13. Frankenweenie

14. Mum and Dad (FTV)

15. Malevolence (FTV)

16. V/H/S/2 (FTV)

#7,438 ·

18, House of Thousand Corpses, Rob Zombie, 2003 IFCHD, I believe this movie does get better with multiple viewings and this is my favorite (so far) RZ movie. Most here have seen it so I will describe my best parts of the film. First the whole beginning is hilarious, between Capt. Spaulding saying "F*** me side Sally!" to him messing with the failed robbers and college kids. Of course I like 'Baby' in those chaps, but she was the most sinister (that laugh) in the beginning of this film. Second I loved the last part when we get to see Dr. Satan and that Red Juggernaut dude in the tunnel, some pretty cool make up and set design for that part of the movie. All in all this is 100% Rob Zombie and he slathers on all the Horror all the way up until the end.

3.5 Rabbit costume wearing Zombies

#7,439 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ  /t/1068270/october-fun-31-days-of-horror-blood-guts-and-gore-and-zombies-too/7400_100#post_23841808

I took a break from the main horror genre and watched Pacific Rim in 3D last night. If you like the old Japanese robot cartoons (voltron, robotech etc) or Cloverfield you will like this movie! What is really cool is that GDT definitely put his stamp on this!
Ha! My review below. I didn't think there was ENOUGH GDT in it. LOL. Still loved it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytchone  /t/1068270/october-fun-31-days-of-horror-blood-guts-and-gore-and-zombies-too/7400_100#post_23842163

How most of us would fare in a Horror movie situation. (I hope)
Funny, but true!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ  /t/1068270/october-fun-31-days-of-horror-blood-guts-and-gore-and-zombies-too/7400_100#post_23842718

18, House of Thousand Corpses, Rob Zombie, 2003 IFCHD, I believe this movie does get better with multiple viewings and this is my favorite (so far) RZ movie. Most here have seen it so I will describe my best parts of the film. First the whole beginning is hilarious, between Capt. Spaulding saying "F*** me side Sally!" to him messing with the failed robbers and college kids. Of course I like 'Baby' in those chaps, but she was the most sinister (that laugh) in the beginning of this film. Second I loved the last part when we get to see Dr. Satan and that Red Juggernaut dude in the tunnel, some pretty cool make up and set design for that part of the movie. All in all this is 100% Rob Zombie and he slathers on all the Horror all the way up until the end.

3.5 Rabbit costume wearing Zombies
Nice review. Been a long time, may have to check this out soon.

Last night had to pop in -
19-PACIFIC RIM – 2013 FTV. I could see this being a divisive movie. In some ways it reminds me of Prometheus with some quirks and, potentially, fatal flaws. But, if you can set those aside and channel your inner twelve year old, it is a really fun ride.

Some aspects reminded me of Joss Whedon with Serenity/Avengers and some Abrams with Super 8 and Star Trek. I was hoping for more of the creepiness of GDT but not as much of a horror aspect as I would like. Some really good casting choices and a few I definitely would not have made, but overall, a really good cast. Idris Elba was excellent! This would have been an enjoyable flic with just average fight scenes. Fortunately, these are not average!

Best robot/monster fight scenes EVER. The sheer size and power of the fighters is really shown well. Again, best I have ever experienced. You really BELIEVE these things are effin HUGE. IMO, the audio was not nearly as powerful as it could have been, but I can’t nit pick because the fights were so good.

This movie has-
Big ass robots fighting big ass monsters

Bad ass jockeys fighting bad ass jockeys

Annoying scientists, like Prometheus

Apparently no anti aircraft missiles,

Apparently no fighter planes that carry missiles,

Apparently no warships that carry missiles,

Apparently no submarines that carry missiles

Big ass robots fighting big ass monsters!

Postponement of the apocalypse

4.75 big ass Zombies

My October 2013 list

1-No One Lives -2012 FTV. 3 Psycho Zombies

2-Cockneys Vs Zombies – 2012 FTV 3.5 Cockney Zombies

3-Juan of the Dead – 2011 FTV. 3 dissident Zombies

4- Shaun of the Dead – 2004. 4 British Zombies

5-SPECIES II – 1998. 3.5 procreating Zombies

6-HALLOWEEN Rob Zombie style – 2007 FTV. 3 knife wielding Zombies

7-American Mary – 2013 FTV. 3 Modified Zombies

8- The Demented - 2012 FTV. -3.5 STINKER OF THE YEAR Zombies

9- Cemetery Man - 1994 FTV. 3 dinner plate Zombies

10-Trick r Treat – 2007. 4.5 old fashioned Zombies

11-OTIS – 2007 FTV. 4 no date to the prom Zombies

12-MANBORG – 2011 FTV. 5 ridiculously awesome Zombies

13-Frankenstein's Army - 2013 FTV. 4 Frankenstein Zombies

14-Vampire Hunter D: BLOODLUST – 2000 FTV. 4 Ghibli Zombies

15-Thale – 2013 FTV. 3 coulda shoulda woulda Zombies.

16- The skin I live in – FTV. 3 cringing Zombies

17-Evil Dead – 2013 FTV. 4 self amputee Zombies

18-The amazing adventures of the living corpse – 2013 FTV. 2 not amazing Zombies

19-PACIFIC RIM – 2013 FTV. 4.75 big ass Zombies

#7,440 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper  /t/1068270/october-fun-31-days-of-horror-blood-guts-and-gore-and-zombies-too/7380_60#post_23841723

You missed Tchaikowsky. Watch the last 10 minutes... if you dare.

larry
Hmmmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ  /t/1068270/october-fun-31-days-of-horror-blood-guts-and-gore-and-zombies-too/7380_60#post_23841808

Cool that you liked VHS2!!
One of the better ones for certain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytchone  /t/1068270/october-fun-31-days-of-horror-blood-guts-and-gore-and-zombies-too/7380_60#post_23842163

How most of us would fare in a Horror movie situation. (I hope)
OK, that was hysterical!