October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....) - Page 376 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1637Likes

post #11251 of 12165 Old 10-05-2014, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by tydq View Post
Sweet! Thanks for this find!

October HorrorFest Participant
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11252 of 12165 Old 10-05-2014, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 280
I watched Cabin Fever Patient Zero last night. I liked it, even better than the first Cabin Fever movie. Sean Astin (Porter) reminded me of Zack Galifinakis so much it was distracting. They should have just cast him to play that character.
post #11253 of 12165 Old 10-05-2014, 12:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I am almost done with the Classic Monster boxset, just got Creature from the Black Lagoon and Phantom of Opera left.
BornSlippyZ likes this.
post #11254 of 12165 Old 10-05-2014, 01:11 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Time to start getting caught up on the list. Here are my first two:

1. The Gate (1987) (FTV) – 3.5

This was going to be our soft-start (Sept. 30th), because I wasn’t really sure what I was getting with this. I was aware of this movie freaking a lot of people out when they were kids, but it looked like a normal kid adventure movie with some fantasy elements in it. Well, this turned out to be a legit horror movie. People’s faces were melting off, kids were dream-dancing with their dead dogs, Stephen Dorff was in it – there was some crap going down. Certainly not scary for an adult, but it was well put together and set a very ominous tone. I think of it now as Evil Dead for kids. I look forward to passing it on one day.

2.Night of the Demons (1988) (FTV) – 3.0

I thought this was a well done movie. My rating is a little tempered due to expectations. The DVD was extremely expensive for a long time, causing this one to sit on my list for a while. Maybe it was the buildup, but, after finally getting it and watching it, the movie felt somewhat average. It had all the right elements, and you could tell they were trying to ramp up the danger, but it never hit that frenetic pace you get from ROTLD or Re-Animator. I will say I was surprised by the way they handled Roger. He was both a sonuvabitch and a magnificent bastard. Also, I ended up getting the Scream! Factory release. I really love what they’re doing. If I spent that much on movies (I tend to buy used, locally, so I can feed the habit frequently), I would buy most of their catalog. I watched the DVD, and the remastered video was phenomenal. Tons of detail in all the dark scenes. Also, every time there was music, my subwoofer kicked on. I’m used to it remaining fairly silent with most ‘80s movies in all genres. There were no level issues here at all between the effects, dialogue and music.

3. Night of the Creeps (1986) (FTV) – 3.5

This one almost lost me at the beginning. The naked, baby aliens running around were pretty cheesy. So, they have advanced technology, but have evolved beyond the need for clothes…and functioning buttholes, apparently? Anyway, it picked up from there. I thought it was an excellent horror/comedy. It had Rusty in it from European vacation, and Tom Atkins. It made me sad that Fred Dekker’s career fizzled out so quickly. I had also never realized that college ladies wear so many different types of negligée under so many different types of circumstances. The ‘80s were such a classier time.

4. Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974) – 4.5

Watched it last year, posted my review of it last week, then just watched it again. The wife wanted to check this one out. We’re going to see the sequel at a local venue next week and she wanted to know the backstory. My comments remain the same. A lot of implied gore and a phenomenally set atmosphere. It was just so odd from the very beginning. There was a lot more screaming during the last 1/3 of the movie than I had remembered. That got a little old, but excellent all around. The wife was a little ambivalent. Shows like Criminal Minds have desensitized her to some of the serial killer stuff.

5. Slumber Party Massacre (1982) (FTV) - 3.5

I really liked this one. It was a little slow in the middle, but had enough good parts overall that I can forgive it. I loved that it was an unintentional/intentional parody of the genre (the writer and director created it as a comedy, but the producers saw it as a normal slasher). There were so many things I wanted to make fun of as I watched, but couldn’t, because it was already making fun of itself. There were a wide variety of female characters who had jobs/interests traditionally held by men (in movies), faux-macho locker room talk, “Y’know, I think your tits are getting bigger,” (is there a male equivalent to this? “Hey, looks like you grew an inch longer over the summer, brah!”) The camera lingered gratuitously over some of the characters while they showered (scanning over various parts of their bodies unnecessarily). One guy slowly presses his bulge into his best friend’s back as they leer at some girls undressing and wonder aloud if they had died and gone to heaven. It goes on and on. There was actually a surprising amount of background detail involved, which raised the level of parody as well. It was clever, and even more impressive for being released in 1982. The genre was still new, but they nailed a ton of tropes that have been in continuous use.

6. Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter (1984) - 3.5

Every October we have to watch a selection from Elm Street, Halloween or Friday the 13th. It was very likely to be F13 this year, because we went to an outdoor screening of the original on Friday, June 13th (coincidentally, the movie takes place on Friday, June 13th, and the characters make reference to there being a full moon. There was a full moon on June 13th this year as well – spooky). We watched Part II at home, so we're already geared up for Jason. Anyway, this was a pretty strong entry. I don’t like Part III as much (I hate you Shelly!), but have a fondness for IV-VI. I think they really hold up well. Also, people tend to bash the numerous sequels for being low quality, but the kills in this really demonstrated why this series generally stands apart. A lot of the standard slashers have some slashing and stabbing, etc. But, Jason goes the extra mile. He stabs, and then rakes it across the body. Cuts the throat, and then twists the head around. He gives you your money’s worth (in terms of murder). Still relatively tame by today’s standards, but more diverse and interesting than what you get from the copycats (which is why I appreciate it when a copycat picks a theme and takes it to the extreme).

7. Trilogy of Terror (1975)(FTV) - 1.5

Wah waaaahhh – got my first dud last night. This doesn't usually happen to me, because I buy most of my movies. So, I’m usually pretty well researched before I dive in. This one has almost universally positive reviews. It is a three-part anthology that was made for TV. As most of the reviewers stated, Karen Black did a good job, but overall there was nothing special about this movie. It was worse than the worst episode of Tales From the Crypt. The third segment was probably the primary reason most people remember this movie, and that segment was pretty decent. But, that was only 1/3rd of the entire thing. It doesn't transform the overall experience into something other than rolling in a pile of turds. At least it was short.

8. The Mist (2007)(FTV) - 3.5

Just finished this up. It was a good movie overall. I watched the black and white version. I can’t say if it was better or added anything to the experience, because I haven’t seen it in color. I’m going to guess it probably helped with some of the CGI effects. There was a lot of tension, and there was a good balance between dealing with internal and external struggle. And, I think Frank Darabont has a good track record adapting Stephen King’s work. I think the main thing that kept this out of the 4 range for me was that it was by Stephen King. I’m not going to pretend like I knew what the ending was going to be. However,
Spoiler!

It was fun to see what was basically an audition tape for The Walking Dead.

9. Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (1986)(FTV) – 4.0

This was a really fun experience. The wife and I saw this at a small, local venue that has a bar. Mmmmmm, bourbon and viscera. It added to the experience for sure. I thought this was an excellent follow-up to the original. The tone was completely different, but well done and still extra-weird. There were parts that were genuinely funny, and lots of little one-liners that it seemed like the actors ad-libbed (I’m pretty sure Jim Siedow expressed relief that he wouldn’t have to go to the hospital for his hemorrhoids after getting chain-sawed in the ass). With all the action on screen, it was easy to miss some of it, which means this will probably hold up well to repeat viewings. At the core of it all was Dennis Hopper, trying to act the hell out of his part while clearly having no idea what kind of movie he was in.

10. Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon (2006)(FTV) - 3.5

I feel like I’m doing horror-lite this year. I need to get to some darker stuff sometime soon. Anyway, this was a well thought-out movie with a lot of nods to the genre. It was well done and I’m rating it higher than how I currently feel about it, because I may be feeling overly harsh. I was really intrigued by the concept of this movie, but was hoping for something darker. It really has a lot of comedic elements to it. So, again, well done and lots of little details for fans of horror, but not what I was in the mood for. It’s shot as a documentary about someone who aspires to be like Michael Myers/Freddy/Jason in a world where those characters actually exist. An example of the details I alluded to above: There is a Dr. Loomis-style character in the movie who actually dresses just like Dr. Loomis, and is played by Robert Englund. I was hoping for more of a disturbing look into the mind of a burgeoning psychopath, but the movie is mostly tongue-in-cheek fan-service.

11. Fright Night (1985) – 4.0

I don’t think I have anything new to say about this, I’m sure everyone is familiar with it. Classic ‘80s vampire movie.

I managed to squeeze in a triple-feature on Saturday. We had a couple of friends over to watch a movie. I wanted to make sure I picked a crowd-pleaser, so we started out with Return of the Living Dead, which is a classic and one of my favorites. While we were all talking afterward I started up Pieces to play in the background. We made it through about 30 minutes of that before the wife requested either Buffy the Vampire Slayer or Monster Squad as background noise, so I switched to Monster Squad. We ended up making it all the way through that before our guests left. After they were gone, I went back to Pieces and finished that up. No FTVs, but a strong lineup:

12. Return of the Living Dead (1985) – 5.0

There is nothing I don’t love about this movie. Watching it with a group really accentuated how good Clu was, because there were people to laugh along with you. He was such a natural badass, it felt like he was making the whole thing up as he went (and he may have been). Also, I think I’m going to have to adopt “dick-brain” as my new go-to insult.

I just reviewed these two for my 2013 list. If you’re interested, they’re numbers 11 & 32 in the list linked in my sig.:

13. Monster Squad (1987) – 4.0

14. Pieces (1982) – 4.5

15. Brain Damage (1986)(FTV) – 3.5

Oh yea, now we’re sinking into the filth, but in a good way. Brian wakes up one morning to find a weird turd-looking parasite has attached itself to his brainstem. It occasionally injects his brain with its juice, causing euphoria, in exchange for being fed human brains. It’s a simple concept, executed well, full of ‘80s cheese, but also with a ton of gross out nightmare-fuel including two of the least sensual sex scenes ever filmed (For me…so far, although I think I have a few movies on the list that may top this, we’ll have to wait and see). Also, the voice they went with for the creature was absolutely hilarious to me.

16. Street Trash (1987)(FTV) - 4.0

I’m not really sure how to rate this, or really how to describe it. I’m rating it high, because it was well done and had some pretty cool effects. Also, the plot was like a waking nightmare. So, from a horror perspective, I think it has to be considered good. It’s a sweet little story about a liquor store proprietor who finds a case of liquor in his basement called Viper. He decides to sell it for $1 a bottle, which is an attractive price for hobos. Unfortunately, the drink causes the drinker to melt in a horrific, albeit colorful, manner. This is the crux of the movie, but it’s also about the full extent of how this substance figures into the plot. Beyond this, it’s pretty much wide open. A police officer beats the crap out of a guy, then sticks his finger down his throat and pukes on his unconscious body. There is a multitude of hobo sex, both consensual and nonconsensual (most of the plot elements revolve around the hobo life). Some guys play a game of keep away with a man’s severed organ, etc. The experience leaves you feeling like you need to take a shower.

17. Wer (2013)(FTV) - 3.5

Hey look, I’m being helpful and reviewing a recent release! I saw this in the Redbox and thought it looked interesting. It is a take on the werewolf story where the mythology unfolds as a defense attorney and her team investigate their client’s alleged involvement in a brutal murder. It was pretty interesting, because it attempts to apply a practical, medical explanation to the phenomenon since they are approaching it from the perspective of building a defense. The fact that it ultimately supports a plausible explanation for werewolf lore is secondary. It had some gory moments, and did a good job of building a suspenseful atmosphere. It did have some CGI blood, unfortunately.

18. Friday the 13th Part V (1985) - 3.0

I was pretty tired the other night, and got a late start, so we ended up putting on another Friday the 13th just to keep things moving. We watched Part V, which is the odd one of the bunch. It was fine, but I think being sandwiched between IV and VI accentuates some of its weaknesses. I always feel like something is off with this one (other than the twist ending), and I think I realize about 3-4 kills in each time that it’s because the deaths are much more straightforward, and most of them are committed by a disembodied hand. The sudden appearance of a hand with a knife making a slashing movement at the camera doesn’t do enough to build tension for me.

19. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003)(FTV) - 3.0

The wife suggested this one, after enjoying the first two so much. She did not like this one nearly as much. It was a lot more torture-y than the others, and she does not have a stomach for that at all. I thought this was a good remake, but it certainly was missing some of the charm of the original.

20. The Stuff (1985)(FTV) - 2.0

Everyone was talking about it, and I have it, so I decided to jump on the bandwagon. Ehhhhh, this didn’t quite do it for me. It started out promising in its hilarity. I love how casual the main character was about everything. Like when they were regrouping at the diner and all he could talk about was how gross that guy’s mouth looked when it was open really wide, completely ignoring the fact that he had just punched a man’s face clean off. Or how he and his lady friend did a full day of espionage activities (I think? That’s how it started, but everyone was always so welcoming) before relaxing at their motel room, completely forgetting the fact they had flown in with a child they left on the plane. It’s okay, though. He eventually found himself safely locked inside an empty oil tanker. After that, it wasn’t intentionally or unintentionally funny enough to keep the momentum going, and they were pretty light on the special effects, which were cool when they used them. Oh yea, and I also enjoyed the marketing campaign that involved having ladies in fur coats telling the camera how much they liked the product…genius!

21. Cemetary Man (1994)(FTV) – 3.5

I was really looking forward to this one, and it was a pretty unique movie. However, it lost me during the last part. Still, props for trying something different.

22. Halloween (2007) – 3.5

I like the RZ remakes. They deviate from the tone of the original, somewhat. But at least he tries to do something visually interesting with it, rather than just rehash the many, many sequels that came before. A common criticism of this movie is that he spends too much time on Michael’s youth, and tries to give reasons why he turned into a psycho killer, but I don’t agree with that. Most of the events we see were mentioned at some point in the original series, and they don’t go very far in explaining Michael’s actions. Yea, he got bullied and his step-dad was a turd, but there was a clear distinction between the boy and the boy with the mask. It developed slowly over 15 years, but there is never a good explanation as to why it was happening or what motivated him, which is why Dr. Loomis ultimately leaves the facility. When he emerges, he has lost the last shred of humanity he had, and he is an unrepentant killer whose motivations are unknown by everyone he kills.

23. Tetsuo, the Iron Man (1992)(FTV) - 4.0

(Original review with photos)

My first two thoughts after finishing this movie were: Dafuq!? And:

This movie is about a fetishist who enjoys inserting pieces of metal into his body (although, the one time we see him doing it, he doesn’t seem to be enjoying it much). He is struck by a car, and the driver slowly begins to change from a human to some sort of cyborg-type thing, I’m not really sure. This is what the director thinks that looks like:

This is a subtitled movie, but I’m not sure they are even necessary. As weird as it was, it was actually fairly successful in that regard. It was tightly paced at 67 minutes, and despite the oddness, it was actually a pretty straightforward narrative. You get most of what you needed from the visuals (surreal as they may have been), and it all linked together nicely. I’m sure it deals with themes of industrialism and man’s dependence on technology and a bunch of other stuff like that, but it also had a guy with a massive drill-wang giving his girlfriend the business. So, don’t think about it too hard, or you may descend into insanity.

24. The Howling (1981)(FTV) - 4.0

I liked this one a lot. It had a very different storyline than I expected. Also, the effects were very well done. I’d actually put them above other more recent attempts like Dog Soldiers. I think in DS the costumes were too huge to capture the movement of the actors inside. I also appreciate that they balanced the playing field a little by making the wolves killable. The tension disappears when you put the characters in an impossible situation.

25. From Beyond (1986)(FTV) - 4.0

Hmmmm, I’m starting to notice a lot of phallic symbolism in the movies I’ve been watching this month. In this case, it was in the form of an overdeveloped, prehensile Pineal gland protruding from the main character’s forehead. The symbolism was initially lost on me, until a female character bit it off and I involuntarily crossed my legs. This movie is another team up of Jeffrey Combs and Stuart Gordon adapting subject matter from an H.P. Lovecraft story. I thought it was great. It had a creeping sense of dread, some good build up, some gross-out gore effects. It didn’t have the frenetic pacing of Re-Animator, but it was still a very enjoyable movie. Oh man, I just looked up Mr. Gordon’s filmography to verify what other Lovecraftian movies of his I had to look forward to, and saw that he directed Robot Jox! I’m going to have to keep an eye out for some of his other movies (possibly excluding Space Truckers and The Wonderful Ice Cream Suit).

26. Dead Snow (2009)(FTV) - 4.0

I’ve been getting pretty abstract in my viewing recently, so I decided to switch over to straightforward zombies. This movie adds a lot to the genre, I think

Spoiler!

. We’re past the point where we need another zombie movie that attempts to show the beginning of the apocalypse, or provide some explanation of why there are zombies. We’re way past the point of having that one dumbass character who doesn’t believe zombies exist (lookin’ at you, Survival of the Dead). This movie took people, put them in a situation that involved zombies, and then watched how they tried to work themselves out of it. Add in some humor, excellent effects and some novel shots like
Spoiler!

. It all adds up to a good time.

27. Frankenstein's Army (2013)(FTV) - 2.5

Mixed reviews + more recent release date usually causes me to stay away. However, this one looked like something I would be into, so I went for it. The movie was fine, but mostly disappointing. I’m not even sure what caused it to fizzle. All the elements were there, it just didn’t have any impact. I think I was hoping to keep the energy from Dead Snow going.

28. Maniac (1980)(FTV) - 4.0

Oh yea, as soon as this started up, it was looking pretty seedy. It did not disappoint. Psycho with mommy issues kills women and takes their scalps. It’s a low-budget affair, but has Tom Savini doing makeup, and clearly was a labor of love for those involved. The main character did an excellent job of playing a creepy weirdo. I think the motivations of the killer and his descent into a state of mania was fairly sophisticated for the type of movie this was and when it was released.

29. Maniac (2012)(FTV) - 4.0

This started off great. As soon as the music started, it put me right back into the mindset I had with the original. I ended up watching this in several parts, because I didn’t have time to get through the whole thing at once. I found myself thinking about it a lot in between viewings. It sticks with you. Also, I felt that it passed the remake test in that it added to the original. There was a lot more POV than I was expecting, but I think it was done well. Overall it had the feel of the original, but with some necessary changes to keep it current, and then ramped up the gore.

30. House (1986)(FTV) - 3.0

We had company on Saturday, and let him pick the movie. He went with nostalgia, and we ended up watching House. This was a decent ‘80s cheesefest. A haunted house does stuff to people who live there, and took a boy from a pool once…Honestly, they were probably trying to go too high-concept with this one, and I dozed off a little while watching. So, I have nothing of value to add.

31. Hellraiser (1987)(FTV) - 4.0

I was really impressed by this movie. I was vaguely familiar with it; everyone knows about Pinhead and the box. I was expecting a traditional horror movie, which would have the Cenobites as monsters the protagonists have to run from, figure out the puzzle to escape, etc. This was nothing like that and it took me by surprise. There was great atmosphere and a decent amount of gore. This probably would have blown my mind in 1987.

32. Event Horizon (1997)(FTV) - 4.5

Whoa!!(<-Think Joey Lawrence-style). I wanted to stick with the general tone of Hellraiser, and this movie definitely hits it. I know it is highly regarded around here, so I don’t think I have much to add, or need to convince anyone this is an excellent movie. Aside from just being put together well, the atmosphere had me tense the whole time. Something about possibly seeing the worst thing each of the crew members could think of really opens up a diverse range of possible horrors. The only thing that kept it from being a full 5.0 for me was that it didn’t string me along all the way through the ending.
Spoiler!

33. Rawhead Rex (1986)(FTV) - 3.5

Welp, I was having a hard time picking tonight. As I've said before, I have way too many unwatched movies left to choose from, and I'm chasing the high I got from Event Horizon. I was hoping I could go 3 for 3 with Clive (he was a consultant during pre-production on EH), but I was wrong. However, I'm trying not to take my disappointment out on the movie. It was an excellent B-movie, I was just looking for something that would blow me away. The premise is a demon is brought back to life in Ireland and terrorizes the countryside. It was competently put together, and the actors clearly put in a huge effort. The result is you get some pretty good performances balanced out with some laughably crazy performances (like the pregnant lady in the beginning - the actress tried so hard, but just made me chuckle). It also had a bunch of great (unintentionally?) hilarious dialogue. "Get upstairs, f***face!" or "Would you care for a cup of tea?", "Why don't you go f*** yourself!" The 2nd half of the movie was stacked with crazy lines that came out of nowhere with great delivery. Also, I think someone got peed on. It was hard to tell, because the monster tended to stand around a lot anyway. I'm sure it was intended to come across as a grand statement about religion and humanity, but it didn't work out that way at all. Worth a watch if you can, certainly not worth the $100+ it's going for on some sites.

34. Phantasm II (1988)(FTV) – 4.0

35. Halloween (1978) – 5.0

36. Trick ‘r Treat (2007) – 5.0

__________________________________________________ ___________________

Horrorfest 2013 (in 2014)

Horrorfest 2014

Last edited by tydq; 11-03-2014 at 09:26 AM.
post #11255 of 12165 Old 10-05-2014, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 341
#8 Cabin Fever: Patient Zero, Netflix streaming HD, FTV This movie was rather fun with all of the set pieces and the rotting flesh actors! A group of guys go to a supposed virgin island near the Dominican Republic, for a bachelor party. Meanwhile a doctor has the guy (Patient Zero) that is the carrier of the flesh eating disease on lock down. The Doctor is trying to find a cure, thus making him very rich. Well as these two groups collide, craziness commences! 3.25 Dripping Flesh Zombies.

#9 The Exorcist II: The Heretic, BD FTVish....I remember seeing bits and pieces of this movie over the years and sadly even on BD didn't help it much. This movie basically tries to do something new but just runs out of gas. The only saving light in this movie was the beautiful Linda Blair. Cool bit was I didn't know James Earl Jones was in this movie! Other than that, this movie is sandwiched between the great first movie and the passable 3rd installation. 2 Strobe lit Zombies.
GoCaboNow likes this.

October HorrorFest Participant

Last edited by BornSlippyZ; 10-05-2014 at 01:18 PM.
post #11256 of 12165 Old 10-05-2014, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Last night I watched the latest "Carrie" incarnation with Chloe Moretz taking the Carrie role and Julienne Moore mom. Not too bad a remake but then still makes you wonder "why". It's really an updated version with smartphone videos being posted online. Three pig blood buckets. Available NF WI which took me on a tour of their various DASH resolutions.
GoCaboNow likes this.
post #11257 of 12165 Old 10-05-2014, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 973
Quote:
Time to start getting caught up on the list. Here are my first two:

1. The Gate (1987) (FTV) – 3.5

This was going to be our soft-start (Sept. 30th), because I wasn’t really sure what I was getting with this. I was aware of this movie freaking a lot of people out when they were kids, but it looked like a normal kid adventure movie with some fantasy elements in it. Well, this turned out to be a legit horror movie. People’s faces were melting off, kids were dream-dancing with their dead dogs, Stephen Dorff was in it – there was some crap going down. Certainly not scary for an adult, but it was well put together and set a very ominous tone. I think of it now as Evil Dead for kids. I look forward to passing it on one day.

2.Night of the Demons (1988) (FTV) – 3.0

I thought this was a well done movie. My rating is a little tempered due to expectations. The DVD was extremely expensive for a long time, causing this one to sit on my list for a while. Maybe it was the buildup, but, after finally getting it and watching it, the movie felt somewhat average. It had all the right elements, and you could tell they were trying to ramp up the danger, but it never hit that frenetic pace you get from ROTLD or Re-Animator. I will say I was surprised by the way they handled Roger. He was both a sonuvabitch and a magnificent bastard. Also, I ended up getting the Scream! Factory release. I really love what they’re doing. If I spent that much on movies (I tend to buy used, locally, so I can feed the habit frequently), I would buy most of their catalog. I watched the DVD, and the remastered video was phenomenal. Tons of detail in all the dark scenes. Also, every time there was music, my subwoofer kicked on. I’m used to it remaining fairly silent with most ‘80s movies in all genres. There were no level issues here at all between the effects, dialogue and music.

Two of my all time faves. The recent remake of NOTD is pretty decent too.
tydq likes this.
post #11258 of 12165 Old 10-05-2014, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
Last night I watched the latest "Carrie" incarnation with Chloe Moretz taking the Carrie role and Julienne Moore mom. Not too bad a remake but then still makes you wonder "why". It's really an updated version with smartphone videos being posted online. Three pig blood buckets. Available NF WI which took me on a tour of their various DASH resolutions.
They spent too much time letting everybody be the victim if you ask me. In the original, product of the time I suppose, they clearly let eveyone know those kids were bullies and they got what was coming to them.
post #11259 of 12165 Old 10-05-2014, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Well, still in a mental funk over the death of my friend, i needed to watch a favorite of mine today, something i knew in advance i would really enjoy. I picked HOUSE OF 1000 CORPSES by Rob Zombie.

I totally love this movie. The ultimate crazy dysfunctional family, capture, tortore, murder, all done in a uniqe Rob Zombie style. Plus i am totally in love with Sheri Moon Zombie, and who wouldnt love the greatest clown in history - Capt Spaulding!!!!!! 5-zombie rating!!!

014 OCTOBER HORROR MOVIES
-------------------------------
01- DEADGIRL - 4 zombies
02- INFERNO OF TORTURE - 3 zombies
03- RESIDENT EVIL APOCALYPSE - 4 zombies
04- NEIGHBOR - 3 zombies
05- HOUSE OF 1000 CORPSES - 5 zombies

never take life seriously
post #11260 of 12165 Old 10-05-2014, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

15. Ghosts of Mars. This movie is just cool. It's pretty much Escape From Mars and that's just fine. Love the music in this as much as other John Carpenter flicks. This concluded the Martian Triple Feature.

I'm kind of on an alien kick and really wish there were more Dark Skies type movies out there. I guess that means VHS 2 is coming up and I need to get Skinwalker Ranch.
post #11261 of 12165 Old 10-05-2014, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 87
This'll bring me current:

3. Night of the Creeps (1986) (FTV) – 3.5

This one almost lost me at the beginning. The naked, baby aliens running around were pretty cheesy. So, they have advanced technology, but have evolved beyond the need for clothes…and functioning buttholes, apparently? Anyway, it picked up from there. I thought it was an excellent horror/comedy. It had Rusty in it from European vacation, and Tom Atkins. It made me sad that Fred Dekker’s career fizzled out so quickly. I had also never realized that college ladies wear so many different types of negligée under so many different types of circumstances. The ‘80s were such a classier time.

Watched it last year, posted my review of it last week, then just watched it again. The wife wanted to check this one out. We’re going to see the sequel at a local venue next week and she wanted to know the backstory. My comments remain the same. A lot of implied gore and a phenomenally set atmosphere. It was just so odd from the very beginning. There was a lot more screaming during the last 1/3 of the movie than I had remembered. That got a little old, but excellent all around. The wife was a little ambivalent. Shows like Criminal Minds have desensitized her to some of the serial killer stuff.

__________________________________________________ ___________________

Horrorfest 2013 (in 2014)

Horrorfest 2014
post #11262 of 12165 Old 10-05-2014, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

16. Creepozoids. FTV. Last time view. While hiding out from radioactive acid rain a group of wasteland survivors are picked off by mutants and a giant rubber opossum. Linnea Quigley in the shower is sole the bright spot. This is the type of movie I love having as background noise.
post #11263 of 12165 Old 10-05-2014, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
There was a lot more screaming during the last 1/3 of the movie than I had remembered. That got a little old, but excellent all around.
I've seen this one several times before and I had it on again this afternoon. About half way through I got sidetracked with a phone call. I noticed the screaming more this time than before. Probably because I wasn't paying attention to the action on the screen.
post #11264 of 12165 Old 10-05-2014, 06:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
My allergies are flared up today and all I can think is EBOLA.

Me too.....I think. I convinced myself that my allergies are to blame, but honestly, I can't recall being "sick" like this before. Really strange. I wake up feeling horrible, sore throat, can't really talk, extremely congested....but as the day goes on I start to feel better and within a couple of hours I feel fine....except for my cough.

Pretty sure Ebola is the only explanation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyssanick View Post
Oh man I want to do this next year. At the moment the sonic experience would be a letdown plus I'm not entirely sure I have 31 horror titles that would fit the theme for me. I have a huge horror wishlist on bluraydotcom that haven't gotten around to buy predominantly because for me they require an uber sound experience.

So far I think this will be my lineup next year though when my HT is complete..

=Day 1=
- Final Destination [2000]
- The Frighteners [1996]
- The Last House on the Left [2009]

2. Identity [2003]
3. The Crazies [2010]
4. I Know What You Did Last Summer [1997]
5. 30 Days of Night [2007]
6. Pulse [2006]
7. I Still Know What You Did Last Summer [1998]
8. Sleepy Hollow [1999]
9. Texas Chainsaw Massacre [2003]
10. The Shining [1980]
11. Sinister [2012]
12. Idle Hands [1999]
13. Jeepers Creepers [2001]
14. The Skeleton Key [2005]
15. 1408 [2007]
16. Scream [1996]
17. Saw [2004] | Quarantine [2008]
18. Scream 2 [1997]
19. Saw II [2005] | Texas Chainsaw Massacre : The Beginning [2006]
20. Scream 4 [2011]
21. Saw III [2006] | Wolf Creek [2005]
22. Final Destination 2 [2003]
23. Dawn of the Dead [2004]
24. The Conjuring [2013]
25. Blade [1998]
26. Freddy vs. Jason [2003]
27. House of Wax [2005]
28. Underworld: Awakening [2012]
29. Land of the Dead [2005]
30. Wrong Turn [2003]

=Day 31=
- Halloween [1978] remastered, w/7.1
- Friday the 13th [1980]
- Dawn of the Dead [1978]
- Halloween 2 [1981]

- Halloween 3 [1982]

Making a list.....for next year?? Dang. You are much more organized than I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post
#9 The Exorcist II: The Heretic, BD FTVish....I remember seeing bits and pieces of this movie over the years and sadly even on BD didn't help it much. This movie basically tries to do something new but just runs out of gas. The only saving light in this movie was the beautiful Linda Blair. Cool bit was I didn't know James Earl Jones was in this movie! Other than that, this movie is sandwiched between the great first movie and the passable 3rd installation. 2 Strobe lit Zombies.

Well, at least you have the third installment to get you back on track. Its a seriously creepy flick. One of my favs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post
Well, still in a mental funk over the death of my friend, i needed to watch a favorite of mine today, something i knew in advance i would really enjoy. I picked HOUSE OF 1000 CORPSES by Rob Zombie.

I totally love this movie. The ultimate crazy dysfunctional family, capture, tortore, murder, all done in a uniqe Rob Zombie style. Plus i am totally in love with Sheri Moon Zombie, and who wouldnt love the greatest clown in history - Capt Spaulding!!!!!! 5-zombie rating!!!

Nothing like HOTC to get you in back in the game. Your post makes me want to watch it tonight instead of waiting for Halloween........or I could do both. We are home from Chicago and loved RZs haunted houses. They rushed us through a little which was somewhat disappointing because we wanted to take in all the sets and subtle nods to his movies. Of the three houses, Haunt of 1000 Corpses was our favorite (surprise surprise). So much awesomeness to look at.

Double feature planned for tonight. We were only able to get in El Superbeasto before leaving town, so now we have The Seasoning House and a household favorite, Antichrist. Its gonna be a good night.
BornSlippyZ likes this.
post #11265 of 12165 Old 10-05-2014, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

The Seasoning House is next for me as well.
post #11266 of 12165 Old 10-05-2014, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 298
4. The Sacrament (FTV)
A documentarian and his crew travel to a remote location to investigate the religious commune his sister has joined. It's no spoiler to say this bears a deliberate resemblance to what happened in Jonestown in 1978 with Reverend Jim Jones, it's basically a fictional retelling of the whole situation. But even though we know where this is all leading, it still packs a heck of a wallop. Maybe even because we know where it's all leading, even the smallest actions, words and gestures take on an eerie resonance. Yes, it's yet another "found footage" film, but the conceit works well since this is so basely closed on actual historical events--it's as if the filmmakers found a way to go back in time and film what really happened. As plots go, there could be better, and there are quite a few misfires in character logic, but overall I really liked this film, and found it to be effectively creepy. It's the kind of film that sticks with you even though it's not overtly frightening in a "boo!" sort of way--the classic slow-burn chiller.

3.5 out of 5 stars.

Bob's October 2014 Horror Movie List
FTV denotes first time viewing
1. From Beyond The Grave (FTV) 3/5
2. Bad Dreams (FTV) 3.5/5
3. Bug (1975) (FTV) 2/5
4. The Sacrament (FTV) 3.5/5

BornSlippyZ likes this.

"I'LL SHOW YOU THE LIFE OF THE MIND!!!" - Barton Fink
post #11267 of 12165 Old 10-05-2014, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

17. Invaders From Mars. Oops. Turned out to be a Martian Quadrathon. This is a fantastic remake of a fantastic 50s classic of the same name. Texas Chainsaw's Tobe directs this tale of an alien invasion that only a young boy is aware of. Excellent conventional effects and great art design let this one hold up to modern movies. It's pretty cool how it's got low camera angles from the height of the kid also.
BornSlippyZ likes this.
post #11268 of 12165 Old 10-06-2014, 01:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Well, I'm out of the woods, literally. I woke up nude in the woods with my teeth stained pink and an acrid, metallic taste in the back of my throat. I haven't been reading the news much, could that be Ebola? Either way, I have cleansed it from my body, and my movie/day ratio is back on track. I'll post some stuff up later on.

Thanks, guys.
Sounds like Romulan ale the real stuff, the nasty stuff, but it does repel zombies

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #11269 of 12165 Old 10-06-2014, 02:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob McLaughlin View Post
3. Bug (1975) (FTV)
Horror novelty shlockmeister William Castle's ("The Tingler") final film, based on the novel The Hephaestus Plague, where subterranean fire-starting bugs rise from an earthquake fissure to wreak havoc in 70's flammable woodgrain polyester America. It's an interesting and cheesy premise, and unfortunately Castle's sluggish directing all but sinks the film. Earthquakes, firestarting insects, cars blowing up--it all sounds much more interesting than it ends up being in Castle's inept hands. Hard to believe this man was once in consideration to direct "Rosemary's Baby"--and thank goodness film history went in a different direction. More baffling is Castle's choice to switch to obviously plastic insects in the final part of the film--perhaps the supply of real cockroaches they had used in the entire film up to that point were dying of boredom? The unwinding of a relatively cool scientist (as a rare "good guy" scientist in the 1970's) is the best part of the film, but it's just not enough.

2 out of 5 stars.

3. Bug (1975) (FTV) 2/5

I read the book this was based on, it could have so been better adapted. Blumhouse might be able to make a decent movie fly out of it.
Bob McLaughlin likes this.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #11270 of 12165 Old 10-06-2014, 04:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Buck Wild (2013) - A hunting vacation goes horribly awry for 4 friends after they accidentally shoot the lease's land owner.

A zombie comedy that isn't scary or funny. It gets pretty good in the last 15 minutes with some The Walking Dead style action, but it's too little too late. Avoid this one.
post #11271 of 12165 Old 10-06-2014, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

18. The Possession of Michael King. FTV. An atheist mourning the loss of his wife openly seeks the blackest of dark magics and issues a challenge for them to come and get him. They do. Pretty stunning little movie that I suspect the paranormal fans here will enjoy quite a bit. It's got some real creep and a couple of jump scares to boot. I liked it a lot.

19. The Seasoning House. FTV. Nasty business in this one. In the vein of An American Crime and that level of depravity this movie tells the story of a mute girl who helps run a really evil brothel. Things escalate or rather spiral downward and mayhem breaks out with some unsavory military douches. The scenario is terrifying and there's ample brutality for those that like it.
post #11272 of 12165 Old 10-06-2014, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Had to watch DEVIL'S REJECTS after seeing HOTC yesterday. Great sequel, as always, love the characters. This one could have been a little shorter, a few scenes cut, but still great. What a pair of movies. This one is good enough for a 4-1/2 zombie rating.

2014 OCTOBER HORROR MOVIES
-------------------------------
01- DEADGIRL - 4 zombies
02- INFERNO OF TORTURE - 3 zombies
03- RESIDENT EVIL APOCALYPSE - 4 zombies
04- NEIGHBOR - 3 zombies
06- DEVIL'S REJECTS - 4-1/2 zombies

never take life seriously
post #11273 of 12165 Old 10-06-2014, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Well, we had our hands full last night with a couple of graphic, but excellent films. Here are our last three going back to Thursday........

3. The Haunted World of El Superbeasto (2009)- {2.5/5} Blu-ray Rob Zombie's first (and only) animated film is a random, vulgar and graphic little piece that is chock full of fun imagery and WTF moments. Not usually my type of movie but because its RZ, I bought this when it came out to add to my collection. I failed to make it all the way through in my first viewing, so it was good to finally watch it front to back this time around. Overall, not a bad movie that provides some good laughs and entertainment.

4. The Seasoning House (2012)- {4.5/5} DVD (FTV) This is the kind of movie that sticks with you well after the credits roll (whether you like it or not). Extremely hard to watch at times due to the relentless brutality but so well done that you're absolutely riveted to the screen. This movie has crazy tension nearly the entire time and the way the "house" is depicted, with it's unending filthiness and horrible living conditions, it places you right at the scene as these girls go through the worst treatment imaginable. The final act was extremely satisfying to experience while the ending was probably the most fitting way to end this story. Rosie Day kills it (literally). Highly recommended!!

5. Antichrist (2009)- {4.5/5} Blu-ray This movie is so unique that it may not appeal to everyone simply because it's the complete opposite of your typical horror movie. It was part of my 2011 marathon so the following comments were copy and pasted from then........ Has there ever been a movie so beautiful and disturbing at the same time? If so, I would love to see it. The cinematography is absolutely stunning, the acting is excellent and the overall presentation of the movie at the hands of Lars Von Trier was amazingly unique and artistic. This is a one of a kind movie that I would highly recommend for those that can handle the gruesome brutality and borderline pornographic sex. Both of us loved it!.......Needless to say, our impressions have remained the same.
post #11274 of 12165 Old 10-06-2014, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

5. The Funhouse (FTV)
Teens spending the night in the carnival funhouse on a dare end up getting more than they bargained for. Tobe Hooper (TCM, Poltergeist, etc.) directs this 1981 atmospheric scare-fest with real style that will bring a smile to your face. This film delivers all the great seedy feeling of the real-life traveling carnival that we all wish we could have seen but probably never did: leering carnival barkers, hootchie-cootchie shows with aging "beauties", deformed fetuses in jars, and a real live two-headed cow. There's a palpable love for the horror genre throughout the film, and all the right buttons are hit. What keeps this from being a full-on classic is that it simply takes forever to get going--this is an hour-long movie stretched out to 99 minutes. Like a real scarehouse, there isn't much plot or logic, but as rides go, it's a lot of fun for a while.

4 out of 5 stars.

3. Bug (1975) (FTV) 2/5
4. The Sacrament (FTV) 3.5/5
5. The Funhouse (FTV) 4/5

GoCaboNow likes this.

post #11275 of 12165 Old 10-06-2014, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
Every time I see picture of the Ebola virus I think "The Strain" and wonder if they Ebola virus is actually a parasite.

My Friday night horror pic if you can all it that was tipped some time ago here and now found on NF: "Big Ass Spider!" which is a sci-fi horror comedy with the dude from Heroes. Three and a half spider webs.
LOL, I watched this with my nine year old and she thought it was cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
11. Friday the 13th Part V. My fave of the series for various reasons and it doesn't even star Jason. Easily one of the best racks ever filmed keep this classic in rotation. Creative brutal kills and that rack....
Just did Part 8 over the weekend and will get some of the earlier ones in. Lost track of these after the first few and funny to watch these now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
Finished Pontypool. First off, it's not what I expected at all. I guess I just didn't "get it" and can't share in the enthusiasm for this. And we went out for Mexican dinner tonight. With that comes beer, margaritas and since it's the weekend a shot. But even with all the festive libations consumed...
Spoiler!
Yeah, it's not a sit back and enjoy the mayhem kind of Z flic. That was what I expected the first time I watched it and you have to adjust to a different appreciation level. Reminds me of when I took the family to see RANGO. We had just seen a a few really good, straight at you, heroic, kids animated movies. Think How To Train Your Dragon. (HTTYD) At the end of RANGO I am like it's an ok flic and really did not get much out of it. I was expecting another heroic, action flic and it did not fit the way I was expecting. 2nd time I watched I could not believe how funny it was and is now one of my favorite movies - period.

Not saying Pontypool will be all that, but I found it is hard to appreciate when you are in the mood for straight action and intestines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloCreed View Post
Well, we had our hands full last night with a couple of graphic, but excellent films. Here are our last three going back to Thursday........

5. Antichrist (2009)- {4.5/5} Blu-ray This movie is so unique that it may not appeal to everyone simply because it's the complete opposite of your typical horror movie. It was part of my 2011 marathon so the following comments were copy and pasted from then........ Has there ever been a movie so beautiful and disturbing at the same time? If so, I would love to see it. The cinematography is absolutely stunning, the acting is excellent and the overall presentation of the movie at the hands of Lars Von Trier was amazingly unique and artistic. This is a one of a kind movie that I would highly recommend for those that can handle the gruesome brutality and borderline pornographic sex. Both of us loved it!.......Needless to say, our impressions have remained the same.
Can never look at a rock the same way after this movie.

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #11276 of 12165 Old 10-06-2014, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 88
4. Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (3D Bluray, FTV)
Thought this was fun with some great fights and action sequences but got a little boring in the middle. Interesting variations of the normal vampire rules, some of which (vamps can't kill each other) aren't in the book.

Have the next few days home alone so hopefully I can get caught up and a little bit ahead.

XBox: King Nuthin
post #11277 of 12165 Old 10-06-2014, 10:38 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked: 1060
@tydq

Love your avatar! Told my girlfriend about Monster Squad and said we should watch it together sometime. She's pretty young and it's before her time but I think she would like it.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #11278 of 12165 Old 10-06-2014, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

I saw horror special effects guy (and sometimes actor) Tom Savini shopping at Target over the weekend, he had a plastic skeleton of all things in his shopping cart! This is sorta like seeing famous chef Wolfgang Puck eating at a McDonald's.

post #11279 of 12165 Old 10-06-2014, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Got these in over the weekend.

6- GODZILLA 2000 (1999) FTV. This was your basic Godzilla saves Japan flic. This time it was an alien spacecraft long submerged in the ocean that wakes up and, eventually, turns into a monster for GODZILLA to pummel. My nine year old watched this with me and really enjoyed the carnage but did not enjoy all the potty mouthed, dubbed actors. LOL.

Best line - "that's ironic. It woke up after 60 million years, and then Godzilla destroyed it the very next day."

3 GODZILLA never gets old Zombies

7- Friday the Thirteenth, Jason Takes Manhattan. (1989) FTV. This is probably a really bad movie but I enjoyed that they seemed to be trying and the unintentional humor was really funny.

I did not pay attention to the year this was made as I sat down to watch, and is always a shock to see the twin towers and the usual pang of saddness that comes. But I started to feel better as all the New Yorker's portrayed are thugs, rude, or generally obnoxious - you know, how New Yorker's were portrayed before 911.

3 Kane Hodder Zombies

8- The Quiet Ones. (2014) FTV A little conflicted on this one. Well done with a very good cast and performances. Killer sound track. But is too much of a slow burn for me. All the jump scares are accompanied with some really intense audio but the "scare" was not usually involving a supernatural source and just a red herring. Nothing much really happens. With the talent involved this could have been much better.

This movie has -
horny college kids that never get naked
little gore
little action
great audio

3 Zombies armed with hair pins

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #11280 of 12165 Old 10-06-2014, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Hey guys, just trying to catch up! Loving reading all your posts! I'm slacking this year but should have a better second half of the month when life settles down a bit. So far I have watched Wolf Creek 2 which I loved, just as good as the first IMO. They I watched Cabin Fever: Patient Zero which was also solid. I'll get my list/rating/reviews done a bit later but I'm here in spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloCreed View Post
5. Antichrist (2009)- {4.5/5} Blu-ray This movie is so unique that it may not appeal to everyone simply because it's the complete opposite of your typical horror movie. It was part of my 2011 marathon so the following comments were copy and pasted from then........ Has there ever been a movie so beautiful and disturbing at the same time? If so, I would love to see it. The cinematography is absolutely stunning, the acting is excellent and the overall presentation of the movie at the hands of Lars Von Trier was amazingly unique and artistic. This is a one of a kind movie that I would highly recommend for those that can handle the gruesome brutality and borderline pornographic sex. Both of us loved it!.......Needless to say, our impressions have remained the same. [/LEFT]
This one has become a regular for me. Once a year is hard enough because this is really a eff'd movie but the cinematography and atmosphere keep me coming back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post
Yeah, it's not a sit back and enjoy the mayhem kind of Z flic. That was what I expected the first time I watched it and you have to adjust to a different appreciation level. Reminds me of when I took the family to see RANGO. We had just seen a a few really good, straight at you, heroic, kids animated movies. Think How To Train Your Dragon. (HTTYD) At the end of RANGO I am like it's an ok flic and really did not get much out of it. I was expecting another heroic, action flic and it did not fit the way I was expecting. 2nd time I watched I could not believe how funny it was and is now one of my favorite movies - period.

Not saying Pontypool will be all that, but I found it is hard to appreciate when you are in the mood for straight action and intestines.

Can never look at a rock the same way after this movie.
Pontypool is a favorite of mine because most of the film takes place in the mind of the viewer. It's not everyone's brand of bourbon but I love it and find the infection basis to be very original.

Spoiler!
GoCaboNow likes this.

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion