October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....) - Page 379 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1582Likes

post #11341 of 12076 Old 10-08-2014, 08:06 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 87
7. Trilogy of Terror (1975)(FTV) - 1.5

Wah waaaahhh – got my first dud last night. This doesn't usually happen to me, because I buy most of my movies. So, I’m usually pretty well researched before I dive in. This one has almost universally positive reviews. It is a three-part anthology that was made for TV. As most of the reviewers stated, Karen Black did a good job, but overall there was nothing special about this movie. It was worse than the worst episode of Tales From the Crypt. The third segment was probably the primary reason most people remember this movie, and that segment was pretty decent. But, that was only 1/3rd of the entire thing. It doesn't transform the overall experience into something other than rolling in a pile of turds. At least it was short.

__________________________________________________ ___________________

Horrorfest 2013 (in 2014)

Horrorfest 2014
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11342 of 12076 Old 10-08-2014, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post
I never watched a movie on Netflix. Is there a way to browse for movies? Is there any sort of movie list? Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
It's easy-peasy watching movies on NF. They have a search bar as well as several different lists. With that said, they don't have everything available to stream. Some titles are disc only. Here's an example screenshot of my NF.
Google "InstantWatcher", it's for Netflix streaming users, it filters out all the DVDs so when you search all you're getting is the streaming titles. It also lets you know when a streaming title is going to expire (this happens more often than you'd think).

You can also sort by category and subcategory. For example, instead of just "Horror", you get...
B-Movie Horror 64 Creature Features 46 Cult Horror 45 Foreign Horror 52 Frankenstein 3 Horror Classics 35 Monsters 21 Satanic Stories 47 Slashers and Serial Killers 123 Supernatural Horror 154 Teen Screams 51 Vampires 26 Werewolves 14 Zombies 40

It's a very useful site!

"I'LL SHOW YOU THE LIFE OF THE MIND!!!" - Barton Fink
post #11343 of 12076 Old 10-08-2014, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mice View Post
Yes, I recall you guys saying that The Last Man On Earth, The Omega Man, and I Am Legend are something of a loose trilogy. I had planned to watch all three films in one shot after October sometime.
I think they are just three different adaptations of the same story, and less of an actual trilogy. However, people seem to like each of them for different reasons, so they may go together well.

Horrorfest 2014
post #11344 of 12076 Old 10-08-2014, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tydq View Post
7. Trilogy of Terror (1975)(FTV) - 1.5

Wah waaaahhh – got my first dud last night. This doesn't usually happen to me, because I buy most of my movies. So, I’m usually pretty well researched before I dive in. This one has almost universally positive reviews. It is a three-part anthology that was made for TV. As most of the reviewers stated, Karen Black did a good job, but overall there was nothing special about this movie. It was worse than the worst episode of Tales From the Crypt. The third segment was probably the primary reason most people remember this movie, and that segment was pretty decent. But, that was only 1/3rd of the entire thing. It doesn't transform the overall experience into something other than rolling in a pile of turds. At least it was short.
I enjoyed this movie but I agree it's pretty overrated. Most people remember the great ending with the Zuni devil doll and forget the rest!

post #11345 of 12076 Old 10-08-2014, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 147
7. Shallow Ground (2004)- {2/5} Amazon Prime (FTV) It's possible that this one had some potential if done by the right people, but because it was a low budget flick, it was unable to keep up with itself. The opening scene definitely grabs your attention and there are some creepy elements sprinkled in with the abstract storyline that made it semi-interesting, but the dialog, acting and overall lack of cohesion between scenes/ideas ruined things for me. Basically, this movie was too busy trying to be clever that it completely missed the mark on making a good viewing experience. There's a ton of blood in it, so I guess I'll bump up my rating from a 1.75 to a 2. Not recommended unless you are really hurting for options.
post #11346 of 12076 Old 10-08-2014, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by tellcity99 View Post
Any ideas of what horror movie would be good for those around 9 year old plus adults. I was thinking Trick or Treat' any others that would be a fit for kids and adults Thanks

The Witches is available on VOD. Has anyone seen it? I remember that box art but nothing else! This was on my must see list for 2014.

1990 - Produced by Jim Henson and directed by Nicolas Roeg (wtf!)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100944/

A young boy stumbles onto a witch convention and must stop them, even after he has been turned into a mouse.

Bob McLaughlin likes this.

The above post is 100% medically accurate

31 Days of Horror: 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009 2008
post #11347 of 12076 Old 10-08-2014, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 198
What is this crap about "tags"? Should we be tagging movies? AVS should pay us.

The above post is 100% medically accurate

31 Days of Horror: 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009 2008
post #11348 of 12076 Old 10-08-2014, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

7. 13 Sins (FTV)
A down-on-his-luck loser accepts a deal from a mysterious unseen caller: he must complete 13 increasingly disturbing tasks for increasingly large amounts of money, or give it all up and go back to being his pathetic self--a cash-strapped pushover with family issues. It's a great high concept, and a lot of fun to watch once it gets going. 13 Sins is more a very dark thriller than an outright hororr movie, sort of like "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire" if directed by Eli Roth. There's plenty of gore and violence, but the true horror of the film is how quickly we allow ourselves to be manipulated by the promise of wealth, and how quickly our lives can spiral out of control when we break social mores. As each task increases in outrageousness (there's a sequence that could be right of "Weekend at Bernie's") we can't wait to see what comes next, at the same time dreading how much worse things can get. It's not a perfect movie, but it's a perfectly entertaining view.

4 out of 5 stars.

Bob's October 2014 Horror Movie List
FTV denotes first time viewing
1. From Beyond The Grave (FTV) 3/5
2. Bad Dreams (FTV) 3.5/5
3. Bug (1975) (FTV) 2/5
4. The Sacrament (FTV) 3.5/5
5. The Funhouse (FTV) 4/5
6. The Atomic Submarine (FTV) 4/5
7. 13 Sins (FTV) 4/5

wizzack likes this.

post #11349 of 12076 Old 10-08-2014, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 327
#12 Day of the Dead, BD (Anchor House one not Shout! Factor). This movie I believe is the first Unrated film I have every seen and probably the first really gory movie I have seen back in the 80's. This film continues after Dawn of the Dead and it takes place in an abandoned underground facility. Survivors are in two camps, a crazy bunch of military guys and some scientists/civilians. A doctor believes the zombies can be 'conditioned' not to be a ravenous horde of the undead, he discovers this by operating on the dead. Of course chaos happens because these people are either sane or insane. This movie has it all, gore, zombies and crazy military guys that say fantastic one-liners! Some of the best make-up form Savini is in this movie and even Greg Nicotero stars as a military dude! 4.5 Zombies, this one of my favorite Zombie flicks!

Bob that movie looks fun, I think I might give it watch!

Darth, your kicking ass with your triple feature today!

October HorrorFest Participant
post #11350 of 12076 Old 10-08-2014, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
I do loves me some good cheese.

Love that pic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloCreed View Post
Last night's movie............

6. The Quiet Ones- {3.25/5} Blu-ray This movie was fairly well done but suffered from a few issues that kept me from rating it a little higher. First, the unbelievably loud effects intended to make you jump were okay for awhile, but became a little annoying as the movie went on. Don't get me wrong, I love active surround channels, but this was over the top. Second, was the unprofessionalism and amateur antics of the group conducting the experiment. Apparently, this is based on a true story, but I had a tough time swallowing the way these people were portrayed. Aside from those things, this movie was still mostly enjoyable as there were many elements that I thought worked pretty well. This one is definitely worthy of rental for the folks looking for movies to add to their list.
Yeah, agreed. Plus the aggressive audio never seemed to accompany anything of SUBSTANCE...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyboy View Post
The tent scene visiting the southern region was just nasty!!! Very good cast and nice story as well.
Excellent! My copy should be arriving any day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyM View Post
But looking forward to mindless stuff.
LOL, right on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
Last night's movie was I, Frankenstein. Plenty of action in that one. Too much really. Overall I enjoyed it but with so many kills it was hard to care when some of the key characters ascended or descended.
For a movie that was all about your soul...it had no soul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellcity99 View Post
Any ideas of what horror movie would be good for those around 9 year old plus adults. I was thinking Trick or Treat' any others that would be a fit for kids and adults Thanks
The animated titles recommended are all good. My 9 year old also liked Pacific Rim, JAWS and GODZILLA.

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #11351 of 12076 Old 10-08-2014, 12:55 PM

8. The Mist (2007)(FTV) - 3.5

Just finished this up. It was a good movie overall. I watched the black and white version. I can’t say if it was better or added anything to the experience, because I haven’t seen it in color. I’m going to guess it probably helped with some of the CGI effects. There was a lot of tension, and there was a good balance between dealing with internal and external struggle. And, I think Frank Darabont has a good track record adapting Stephen King’s work. I think the main thing that kept this out of the 4 range for me was that it was by Stephen King. I’m not going to pretend like I knew what the ending was going to be. However,
Spoiler!

It was fun to see what was basically an audition tape for The Walking Dead.
stevew24963 likes this.

Horrorfest 2014
post #11352 of 12076 Old 10-08-2014, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Good point.

I wonder how this movie would have been viewed if the ending had been more "hollywood"?

Last night was MIMIC.

9- MIMIC 1997. Obviously an older movie but still looks and sounds good on bluray. Has the GDT vibe going. Really good fx and well done flic. Pacing may be a bit slow for some and it is not a mean spirited movie like much of horror today. GDT seems to bring a wholesomness to his horror.
Best line
Spoiler!

3.5 Zombie bugs

post #11353 of 12076 Old 10-08-2014, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post
#12 Day of the Dead, BD (Anchor House one not Shout! Factor). This movie I believe is the first Unrated film I have every seen and probably the first really gory movie I have seen back in the 80's. This film continues after Dawn of the Dead and it takes place in an abandoned underground facility. Survivors are in two camps, a crazy bunch of military guys and some scientists/civilians. A doctor believes the zombies can be 'conditioned' not to be a ravenous horde of the undead, he discovers this by operating on the dead. Of course chaos happens because these people are either sane or insane. This movie has it all, gore, zombies and crazy military guys that say fantastic one-liners! Some of the best make-up form Savini is in this movie and even Greg Nicotero stars as a military dude! 4.5 Zombies, this one of my favorite Zombie flicks!
I have that movie on BD plus a bunch of other Romero films on BD including the original "The Crazies". All have great commentaries on them which makes them worth collecting.

My horror viewing has been restricted to "The Strain" and "Intruders" TV episodes. I got half way through a horror/thriller late Monday night on NF in HD when the bitrate suddenly dropped down to 0.5 mbps and not worth continuing.
BornSlippyZ likes this.
post #11354 of 12076 Old 10-08-2014, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 960
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
I have that movie on BD plus a bunch of other Romero films on BD including the original "The Crazies". All have great commentaries on them which makes them worth collecting.

My horror viewing has been restricted to "The Strain" and "Intruders" TV episodes. I got half way through a horror/thriller late Monday night on NF in HD when the bitrate suddenly dropped down to 0.5 mbps and not worth continuing.
You need to get crappy ATT DSL. I always get HD.
post #11355 of 12076 Old 10-08-2014, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

I agree and I had the pop window with factoids on last night. Pretty cool stuff and that movie was pretty much the last film Romero directed for 20 years until Land of the Dead iirc.

#13 , Thirteen Sins, Netflix HD streaming, FTV. I saw Bobs review of this movie and gave it a go! I agree with pretty much his post about this film and how people in certain situations will do pretty much anything for the promise of riches. This movie wastes no time getting to the nitty gritty. I really enjoyed this film and the intro was funny but drove the tone home for the rest of the movie. 3.75 1%'er Zombies!
wizzack likes this.

post #11356 of 12076 Old 10-08-2014, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
You need to get crappy ATT DSL. I always get HD.
I have U-Verse either fiber to node or fiber to pole. I'll ask the next tech I see, which. The node is about 1/2 a block away. I don't know ATT is the problem but dropping down to 0.5 mbps is weird. The BD app may not be capable of DASH so was trying to buffer some segments. On Chromecast it might have played okay even at that late hour unless somewhere along the line the dweeb squad doing net maintenance decided "no one is on after midnight so we'll do maintenance then." They used to do that quite frequently.

The cheaper Astound hasn't come down this block yet but they all seem to have their drawbacks.
post #11357 of 12076 Old 10-08-2014, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Yes, i watched it again, i had it holding on the DVR for this month. What is is? SHARKNADO-2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Totally love love love this movie. Normally not a big fan of campy horror, this is the ultimate in fun. The fact that they make New York City such a strong factor in the movie really added a lot to it, as did all the great cameo's. This is non-stop fun fun fun. I needed a pick me up, and this did it!!!

Plus this is the very first time in any October that i actually got the wife to watch a movie with me!!!! She thought it was totally moronic. (however, she almost fell off the couch laughing at Matt Lauer stabbing the shark with an umbrella and thanking people for watching the Today Show).

Yes, you can all go nuts, but i am rating this a ==5==, its the movie i have enjoyed the most so far this month. Sometimes you just gotta put a little fun in your life, and this movie does it!!!

2014 OCTOBER HORROR MOVIES
-------------------------------
01- DEADGIRL - 4 zombies
02- INFERNO OF TORTURE - 3 zombies
03- RESIDENT EVIL APOCALYPSE - 4 zombies
04- NEIGHBOR - 3 zombies
05- HOUSE OF 1000 CORPSES - 5 zombies
06- DEVIL'S REJECTS - 4-1/2 zombies
07- V/H/S - 2-1/2 zombies
08- FRANKENSTEINS ARMY - 3-1/2 zombies
09- SHARKNADO-2 - 5 zombies

never take life seriously
post #11358 of 12076 Old 10-08-2014, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
Yep. Solid films. I can't speak for Hotel though. My kid loses interest about 20 minutes in so that means I lose interest. I was gonna say to OP that Trick R Treat for a nine year old might be too much but then I realized my mom let me watch The Exorcist when I was like 6.

T.hanks guys for the tips
post #11359 of 12076 Old 10-08-2014, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 726
Quote:

Just finished this up. It was a good movie overall. I watched the black and white version. I can’t say if it was better or added anything to the experience, because I haven’t seen it in color. I’m going to guess it probably helped with some of the CGI effects. There was a lot of tension, and there was a good balance between dealing with internal and external struggle. And, I think Frank Darabont has a good track record adapting Stephen King’s work. I think the main thing that kept this out of the 4 range for me was that it was by Stephen King. I’m not going to pretend like I knew what the ending was going to be. However,
Spoiler!

I liked The Mist. The ending was like a punch in the gut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post
Good point.

I wonder how this movie would have been viewed if the ending had been more "hollywood"?

Last night was MIMIC.

9- MIMIC 1997. Obviously an older movie but still looks and sounds good on bluray. Has the GDT vibe going. Really good fx and well done flic. Pacing may be a bit slow for some and it is not a mean spirited movie like much of horror today. GDT seems to bring a wholesomness to his horror.
Best line
Spoiler!

3.5 Zombie bugs
I saw Mimic way back when it was in the theater. I'm old.

When life gives you limes, make margaritas
post #11360 of 12076 Old 10-08-2014, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Personally, I would have preferred a hollywood ending for Mist.

Old? I saw ALIEN in the theater. One of my first car dates and doubled with a buddy.What morons. First date with these girls and we take them to ALIEN.

No third base. No second base. Heck, did not even try for first.
Too blown away by the movie.

post #11361 of 12076 Old 10-08-2014, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob McLaughlin View Post
Google "InstantWatcher", it's for Netflix streaming users, it filters out all the DVDs so when you search all you're getting is the streaming titles. It also lets you know when a streaming title is going to expire (this happens more often than you'd think).

You can also sort by category and subcategory. For example, instead of just "Horror", you get...
B-Movie Horror 64 Creature Features 46 Cult Horror 45 Foreign Horror 52 Frankenstein 3 Horror Classics 35 Monsters 21 Satanic Stories 47 Slashers and Serial Killers 123 Supernatural Horror 154 Teen Screams 51 Vampires 26 Werewolves 14 Zombies 40

It's a very useful site!

Sorry Bob. I meant to type Youtube. Is there any sort of movie list, etc. on Youtube? Thanks.
post #11362 of 12076 Old 10-08-2014, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post
Personally, I would have preferred a hollywood ending for Mist.

Old? I saw ALIEN in the theater. One of my first car dates and doubled with a buddy.What morons. First date with these girls and we take them to ALIEN.

No third base. No second base. Heck, did not even try for first.
Too blown away by the movie.
You have me beat. You're older. Lol. First dates to Alien? It's like if you were in a horror movie the audeinice would be screaming NO! Don't go in there.

When life gives you limes, make margaritas
post #11363 of 12076 Old 10-08-2014, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post
Sorry Bob. I meant to type Youtube. Is there any sort of movie list, etc. on Youtube? Thanks.
Not to hijack but I think reddit has a thread called "full movies on YouTube" or something.
post #11364 of 12076 Old 10-08-2014, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob McLaughlin View Post
7. 13 Sins (FTV)
A down-on-his-luck loser accepts a deal from a mysterious unseen caller: he must complete 13 increasingly disturbing tasks for increasingly large amounts of money, or give it all up and go back to being his pathetic self--a cash-strapped pushover with family issues. It's a great high concept, and a lot of fun to watch once it gets going. 13 Sins is more a very dark thriller than an outright hororr movie, sort of like "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire" if directed by Eli Roth. There's plenty of gore and violence, but the true horror of the film is how quickly we allow ourselves to be manipulated by the promise of wealth, and how quickly our lives can spiral out of control when we break social mores. As each task increases in outrageousness (there's a sequence that could be right of "Weekend at Bernie's") we can't wait to see what comes next, at the same time dreading how much worse things can get. It's not a perfect movie, but it's a perfectly entertaining view.

4 out of 5 stars.

Bob's October 2014 Horror Movie List
FTV denotes first time viewing
1. From Beyond The Grave (FTV) 3/5
2. Bad Dreams (FTV) 3.5/5
3. Bug (1975) (FTV) 2/5
4. The Sacrament (FTV) 3.5/5
5. The Funhouse (FTV) 4/5
6. The Atomic Submarine (FTV) 4/5
7. 13 Sins (FTV) 4/5

I caught this last week and thoroughly enjoyed it. The twisted end was perfect. Agreed,4 beheaded bikers out of five.
post #11365 of 12076 Old 10-08-2014, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So did I and 97 was a pretty big year for movies! But I am only reminded how old I am when my kids tell me I am old.

GoCabo, that is an awesome story! Those girls will always be reminded of that day when they see Alien broadcasted on tv! Back in my dating years it was 50/50 that girls would love to see a movie like that with me! Heck I remember breaking up with my girlfriend and then as I was driving home, I past my local cinema and they were showing Event Horizon. I stopped to check out that movie and it was the best 'therapy' I had that day and I quickly forgot about my ex!
GoCaboNow likes this.

post #11366 of 12076 Old 10-08-2014, 09:00 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 106
I remember the Drive-In Theaters a little bit from when I was very young. Actually went to one called the Twin Drive-In which was located near St. Albert Trail and 137 Avenue here in Edmonton. All of the drive-in theaters are gone now in the city, but I did read that there were at least 10 such theaters here back in the mid-1970's.

Tonight I watched 1408 which left me with some mixed emotions overall but it picked up nicely in the second half. I liked how it left you wondering what was real and what wasn't, much like another movie called Jacob's Ladder. Overall I'd give 1408 a rating of 3 out of 5.

Tough to say at this point if I will get to all of the movies I intended this month but I'm having a pretty good run so far and that Exorcist marathon knocked out a good part of the list. Of course, as always, I have also watched a few movies that I originally did not intend to watch! Pontypool is calling for me louder and louder now!
wizzack and GoCaboNow like this.
post #11367 of 12076 Old 10-09-2014, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Felt like some classic style last night and this morning.

24. The Wolfman. My first watch of this left me a little meh but it is really solid and pretty bloody. The bluray looks great. Set design and costumes are awesome. Some of the effects are a little weak and perhaps the violence is a bit over the top but still a solid flick. The early scene with Benicio at the play reminded me of James Franco for some reason. I still think the middle is a bit weak as I tune it out every time I watch it.

25. Shadow of the Vampire. While not a strict horror it's still pretty fantastic and I've loved the concept since it came out 14 years ago. It's fun to watch these performances.
wizzack, GoCaboNow and The Mice like this.
post #11368 of 12076 Old 10-09-2014, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

post #11369 of 12076 Old 10-09-2014, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

^ Ha! That is good!

post #11370 of 12076 Old 10-09-2014, 08:49 AM

9. Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (1986)(FTV) – 4.0

This was a really fun experience. The wife and I saw this at a small, local venue that has a bar. Mmmmmm, bourbon and viscera. It added to the experience for sure. I thought this was an excellent follow-up to the original. The tone was completely different, but well done and still extra-weird. There were parts that were genuinely funny, and lots of little one-liners that it seemed like the actors ad-libbed (I’m pretty sure Jim Siedow expressed relief that he wouldn’t have to go to the hospital for his hemorrhoids after getting chain-sawed in the ass). With all the action on screen, it was easy to miss some of it, which means this will probably hold up well to repeat viewings. At the core of it all was Dennis Hopper, trying to act the hell out of his part while clearly having no idea what kind of movie he was in.
wizzack, GoCaboNow and The Mice like this.

Horrorfest 2014
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page