October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....) - Page 381 - AVS Forum
First ... 379  380  381 382  383  ... Last
Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion > October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....)
ApolloCreed's Avatar ApolloCreed 12:36 PM 10-10-2014
8. The Shrine (2010)- {3.5/5}Amazon Prime (FTV)- Okay, so I chose this movie after mindlessly surfing through titles to stream on Amazon. This one is about a group of journalists who travel to Poland to investigate a missing American tourist. Apparently there have been many other people who have disappeared in the same area so that is the reason for the interest in the story. As it starts, one of the main characters (Aaron Ashmore) immediately strikes me as odd because I had my copy of Frozen sitting on the table next to me because I was going to watch that instead. Wow, what a coincidence that he happened to star in both movies.....Further investigation determined that the gentleman in Frozen is actually Shawn Ashmore, who happens to be twin brothers with Aaron Ashmore....Anyway, enough of that nonsense. This movie is pretty enjoyable. Despite the red flags everywhere as the story unfolds, the journalists push on.......shocking. They quickly determined that the community their investigative research led them to was very strange/disturbing and in a cultish fashion; the sh*t begins to hit the fan. Creatures, cool sacrificial practices and Exorcist-like possessions fill up the rest of the movie and in the end, it was a really fun watch. Good times.

9. Wolf Creek (2005) - {4/5} DVD Its been awhile since I've seen this, but this was the perfect time to revisit it with the anticipation of watching the sequel for the first time tomorrow night. Australian horror at its finest, people. Very well done in nearly every area with only a limited number of things that I would've changed in the execution of the story. Even though this is horror, the shots of the daytime scenery and the cinematography in general are simply outstanding. Makes me wish I had a copy of the blu-ray. Overall, there is great acting and a nice buildup of tension as the movie progresses. For those that haven't seen it, it closely resembles Texas Chainsaw and The Hills Have Eyes in how the movie sets up. It states that its based on a true story, but I can't help but wonder why they would've ....
Spoiler!

Regardless of that weird observation, this one was a fine addition to this year's list and is highly recommended.

darthrsg's Avatar darthrsg 12:38 PM 10-10-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloCreed View Post

9. Wolf Creek (2005) - {4/5} DVD Its been awhile since I've seen this, but this was the perfect time to revisit it with the anticipation of watching the sequel for the first time tomorrow night. Australian horror at its finest, people. Very well done in nearly every area with only a limited number of things that I would've changed in the execution of the story. Even though this is horror, the shots of the daytime scenery and the cinematography in general are simply outstanding. Makes me wish I had a copy of the blu-ray. Overall, there is great acting and a nice buildup of tension as the movie progresses. For those that haven't seen it, it closely resembles Texas Chainsaw and The Hills Have Eyes in how the movie sets up. It states that its based on a true story, but I can't help but wonder why they would've ....
Spoiler!

Regardless of that weird observation, this one was a fine addition to this year's list and is highly recommended.
I liked part 2 better but 1 is pretty damn good.
The Mice's Avatar The Mice 12:42 PM 10-10-2014
Quote:

I was working at a video store a few years ago, and when the store closed it's doors for good, each of us were allowed to take a shopping bag full of movies home to keep. Of course I stuffed my bag as much as I could, and Wolf Creek is one of the movies I got. It's disgraceful that I have not yet watched it after all this time, but now that you mention it, I need to go through my collection once more and make a list of horror movies that I need to watch!
wizzack's Avatar wizzack 12:50 PM 10-10-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post
Awesome, IIRC, last years were really cool!

I saw the original theatrically. Not many would admit this...

Agreed!

Rented it, what's that?
They closed all the Blockbusters near me...

Did HELLBENDERS 2012 (FTV) last night. Extremely inconsistent effort. First few scenes were horribly acted, staged - everything. Got better and had a bit of a Ghostbusters comedic vibe.
Best line -
Spoiler!

2.5 finger chomping Zombies

Hehe. I was hanging with some old buds last night and the local West Coast Video came up. One of the popular fly honey dips we went to school with worked there and would chat about movies when we came in. Funny, when we saw her in school she magically forgot who we were. Doh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
Where'd you rent it?

It's hidden on Comcast/Xfinity on Demand. Haven't seen an announcement and no clue it was there.
Bob McLaughlin's Avatar Bob McLaughlin 01:08 PM 10-10-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post
I look forward to seeing some Halloween decorations! Mine is really nothing this year, just some basic orange/dark purple lights and some tombstones. Hopefully next year I can dedicate some time to making a huge spider to put on my roof! I think that inspiration comes from Bob's killer Halloween House. Kenobi was the other member that had a Killer House too! IIRC, he had a video of it last year as well!
I will try to take some pictures over the weekend of our yard haunt. We have a major new addition this year, store-bought but it still kicks butt I think, especially at night.
Brian Conrad's Avatar Brian Conrad 01:22 PM 10-10-2014
I watched "The Congress" last night. It's not exactly horror but more sci-fi with some animation thrown in. Robin Wright plays herself as an aging actress who is offered a contract by the studio to digitize her so she can be used in future films. The catch is she must no longer act in anything herself. Danny Huston plays the studio head and Harvey Keitel her agent. Jon Hamm voices a character and Paul Giamatti also appears. I gave it four "stars."

It's available for rent at Amazon, VUDU, etc. VUDU for some reason was a $1 cheaper than Amazon and I watched in HDX. It's a "still in theaters" though at regular rental prices. Actually I saw that it is at an the Oakland New Parkway theater where I saw a film under the old management back in the 1990s and is a dinner movie theater. You order your meal and drink and they give you a number thing to put at your table and they bring out your order during the film. The food was good too.
Bob McLaughlin's Avatar Bob McLaughlin 01:48 PM 10-10-2014
9. Stir of Echoes
When a blue-collar Chicagoan dubiously agrees to a hypnosis session at a party just for kicks, a second sight is unlocked that has him seeing the future, the past, and the dead. Based on the book penned by none other than horror genre legend Richard Matheson, this is an oft-overlooked near classic that hasn't gotten the attention it deserves (perhaps buried by "The Sixth Sense" released a month prior). Kevin Bacon gives an excellent performance as Tom Witzky, a man reluctantly dragged into the world of the supernatural, and ultimately the pursuit of a mystery. His visions are cinematic and terrifying, his expectant wife is in denial and protective of their more comfortably clairvoyant son. Once Tom's descent into obsessive mania goes full-on (think Richard Dreyfus in Close Encounters) some of the chilling tone and impact is lessened, but this is one great film that every horror fan should see.

4.5 out of 5 stars.

Bob's October 2014 Horror Movie List
FTV denotes first time viewing
1. From Beyond The Grave (FTV) 3/5
2. Bad Dreams (FTV) 3.5/5
3. Bug (1975) (FTV) 2/5
4. The Sacrament (FTV) 3.5/5
5. The Funhouse (FTV) 4/5
6. The Atomic Submarine (FTV) 4/5
7. 13 Sins (FTV) 4/5
8. Tales from the Darkside: The Movie 3.5/5
9. Stir of Echoes 4.5/5

BornSlippyZ's Avatar BornSlippyZ 02:06 PM 10-10-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob McLaughlin View Post
I will try to take some pictures over the weekend of our yard haunt. We have a major new addition this year, store-bought but it still kicks butt I think, especially at night.
Nice!
Quote:
9. Stir of Echoes
When a blue-collar Chicagoan dubiously agrees to a hypnosis session at a party just for kicks, a second sight is unlocked that has him seeing the future, the past, and the dead. Based on the book penned by none other than horror genre legend Richard Matheson, this is an oft-overlooked near classic that hasn't gotten the attention it deserves (perhaps buried by "The Sixth Sense" released a month prior). Kevin Bacon gives an excellent performance as Tom Witzky, a man reluctantly dragged into the world of the supernatural, and ultimately the pursuit of a mystery. His visions are cinematic and terrifying, his expectant wife is in denial and protective of their more comfortably clairvoyant son. Once Tom's descent into obsessive mania goes full-on (think Richard Dreyfus in Close Encounters) some of the chilling tone and impact is lessened, but this is one great film that every horror fan should see.

4.5 out of 5 stars.

Bob's October 2014 Horror Movie List
FTV denotes first time viewing
1. From Beyond The Grave (FTV) 3/5
2. Bad Dreams (FTV) 3.5/5
3. Bug (1975) (FTV) 2/5
4. The Sacrament (FTV) 3.5/5
5. The Funhouse (FTV) 4/5
6. The Atomic Submarine (FTV) 4/5
7. 13 Sins (FTV) 4/5
8. Tales from the Darkside: The Movie 3.5/5
9. Stir of Echoes 4.5/5

This is another late 90's movie that is pretty good, besides The Sixth Sense.

#16 Jacob's Ladder, BD....I find myself watching this movie again from last year. Not really Horror as in, slashers, or the supernatural, but rather in the mind of life/death. This movie does have 'Demons' in it and a scene of some gore but this is truly told in the conscience of the main character played wonderfully by Tim Robbins. I won't give too much away but this mind bending movie comes full circle if you give it a chance because it is a slow burn movie. Some well known actors are in this film like Danny Aiello (sp?), Ving Rhames, Jason Alexander and Maculey Culkin (sp?)4.5 Head Shaking Zombies!
ApolloCreed's Avatar ApolloCreed 02:54 PM 10-10-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post
Nice!

This is another late 90's movie that is pretty good, besides The Sixth Sense.

They came out at basically the same time and honestly, I'm probably in the minority here, but I prefer Stir of Echoes to Sixth Sense. Both very good, but the R-ratedness of Echoes gives it the edge. Speaking of, I think I need to watch them back to back one night. Maybe next year's marathon.....
tydq's Avatar tydq 03:01 PM 10-10-2014
10. Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon (2006)(FTV) - 3.5

I feel like I’m doing horror-lite this year. I need to get to some darker stuff sometime soon. Anyway, this was a well thought-out movie with a lot of nods to the genre. It was well done and I’m rating it higher than how I currently feel about it, because I may be feeling overly harsh. I was really intrigued by the concept of this movie, but was hoping for something darker. It really has a lot of comedic elements to it. So, again, well done and lots of little details for fans of horror, but not what I was in the mood for. It’s shot as a documentary about someone who aspires to be like Michael Myers/Freddy/Jason in a world where those characters actually exist. An example of the details I alluded to above: There is a Dr. Loomis-style character in the movie who actually dresses just like Dr. Loomis, and is played by Robert Englund. I was hoping for more of a disturbing look into the mind of a burgeoning psychopath, but the movie is mostly tongue-in-cheek fan-service.
BornSlippyZ's Avatar BornSlippyZ 04:07 PM 10-10-2014
Quote:
They came out at basically the same time and honestly, I'm probably in the minority here, but I prefer Stir of Echoes to Sixth Sense. Both very good, but the R-ratedness of Echoes gives it the edge. Speaking of, I think I need to watch them back to back one night. Maybe next year's marathon.....
I like Bruce Willis but yeah I agree with liking Stirs a bit more!
darthrsg's Avatar darthrsg 10:59 PM 10-10-2014
26. Deliver Us From Evil. FTV. Whoa. This is pretty awesome. More of a thriller with heavy leanings to horror and for sure it's Riggs and Murtaugh meets The Exorcist with a dash of Seven. Highly recommended for you wackos in here. Even the "based on a true story" haters should watch. It's almost Chris Nolan like in the way it's reality rooted.

27. Return of the Living Dead II. Loads of fun and screaming. Rule 4,532 - Listen to the plucky kid.
The Mice's Avatar The Mice 11:16 PM 10-10-2014
The weather today was quite nice out and winter is soon approaching here, so I had to get out into the river valley and enjoy it. But not too long after I got back home, I decided to watch some more movies and was able to bang off four today. All were first-time viewings including a movie that was not on my list, The Birds from 1963. The other movies were Phantom of the Opera (1943), The Invisible Man, and The Mummy. All were very good, the "worst" one of the bunch was The Mummy but I'd even give that a 3.5 out of 5. All in all a very successful day! My list is going down faster than I anticipated this year.

Also, I started an account recently on letterboxd.com, you can see me here:

http://letterboxd.com/petmice72/

Back to work Saturday but hopefully will watch something when I get home!
ApolloCreed's Avatar ApolloCreed 11:54 PM 10-10-2014
Quote:
26. Deliver Us From Evil. FTV. Whoa. This is pretty awesome. More of a thriller with heavy leanings to horror and for sure it's Riggs and Murtaugh meets The Exorcist with a dash of Seven. Highly recommended for you wackos in here. Even the "based on a true story" haters should watch. It's almost Chris Nolan like in the way it's reality rooted.

1. This movie isn't released until Oct 28, how did you get the chance to watch it?

2. We were supposed to do a group watch....

You have some splaining to do
darthrsg's Avatar darthrsg 12:52 AM 10-11-2014
28. Rotten Shaolin Zombies. FTV. A short film. Thank Crom.
29. Christmas Evil. I think I've seen this but I forget.
darthrsg's Avatar darthrsg 07:17 AM 10-11-2014
Here's one of our lame decorations. Every night we have to take the kid out to "wake" him up. stupid new forum image garbage it makes me feel like a general population IQ of 80
Attached: WP_20141010_026.jpg (84.6 KB) 
GoCaboNow's Avatar GoCaboNow 11:34 AM 10-11-2014
Quote:
You tease!
Quote:

27. Return of the Living Dead II. Loads of fun and screaming. Rule 4,532 - Listen to the plucky kid.
Nice!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mice View Post
The weather today was quite nice out and winter is soon approaching here,
Indeed! We had low 70's and bugged out at noon for some afternoon golf in the sun. Will be November soon and nothing but rain for the next six months...
Quote:
Here's one of our lame decorations. Every night we have to take the kid out to "wake" him up. stupid new forum image garbage it makes me feel like a general population IQ of 80
Was this ok'd by your HOA?

12 - Resident Evil 2002. The franchise has turned into a farce but 1 and 2 are a lot of fun with serious characters, sense of horror and killer AV. This one has a very good cast and believable characters, imo. Mila is great here and fun to watch slowly turn on her butt kicking abilities. The audio, action and undead make for a fun thrilling ride to turn it up and enjoy.

4.5 Zombies with bad teeth
Brian Conrad's Avatar Brian Conrad 02:11 PM 10-11-2014
I had to let the new season of "American Horror Story" suffice for my horror fill last night. I've seen most of the new horror stuff on NF and Hulu has some dreadful ones (watched about half of one of them). The AHS episode didn't have any scare in it but they seemed to be setting up things for the season including a psychopathic clown.
Waboman's Avatar Waboman 04:24 PM 10-11-2014
Getting ready to fire up my all time fave horror movie and top 10 movie in general.

Spoiler!

darthrsg's Avatar darthrsg 06:59 PM 10-11-2014
@GoCaboNow The idiots in the HOA that started all the trouble moved out today.
darthrsg's Avatar darthrsg 08:45 PM 10-11-2014
Quote:
1. This movie isn't released until Oct 28, how did you get the chance to watch it?

I found it on some streaming site. I'm happy to share it.
CoreyM's Avatar CoreyM 01:15 AM 10-12-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by tydq View Post
10. Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon (2006)(FTV) - 3.5

I feel like I’m doing horror-lite this year. I need to get to some darker stuff sometime soon. Anyway, this was a well thought-out movie with a lot of nods to the genre. It was well done and I’m rating it higher than how I currently feel about it, because I may be feeling overly harsh. I was really intrigued by the concept of this movie, but was hoping for something darker. It really has a lot of comedic elements to it. So, again, well done and lots of little details for fans of horror, but not what I was in the mood for. It’s shot as a documentary about someone who aspires to be like Michael Myers/Freddy/Jason in a world where those characters actually exist. An example of the details I alluded to above: There is a Dr. Loomis-style character in the movie who actually dresses just like Dr. Loomis, and is played by Robert Englund. I was hoping for more of a disturbing look into the mind of a burgeoning psychopath, but the movie is mostly tongue-in-cheek fan-service.
I guess I knew this was a parody when I saw it, so I happened to think it was pretty great. I haven't seen it since the first watch around the time it was released though I did purchase a copy on Blu-Ray in the super discount bin a few years ago. I might re-watch this season, but I just loaded up my Netflix, Hulu and Amazon accounts.
tenthplanet's Avatar tenthplanet 03:01 AM 10-12-2014
After a really crazy week at work (I work Sundays so it ain't over yet), nothing was going to keep me from Dracula Untold. As a Dracula origin story it's pretty good and does blend in the history of the real Vlad the Impaler with Dracula as we know him. It's more supernatural than horror at times (It's PG-13) and once it gets going it gets pretty kick-ass. It you're into Dracula movies vs.just the vampire genre you'll get into it. Think of it as Dracula with a little Game of Thrones thrown in.
tenthplanet's Avatar tenthplanet 03:11 AM 10-12-2014
Quote:

We could send him to the dark forest of the endless Twilight marathon for a few days or we could switching his streaming to Comcast. Fellow ghouls time to vote..
tenthplanet's Avatar tenthplanet 03:16 AM 10-12-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
I watched "The Congress" last night. It's not exactly horror but more sci-fi with some animation thrown in. Robin Wright plays herself as an aging actress who is offered a contract by the studio to digitize her so she can be used in future films. The catch is she must no longer act in anything herself. Danny Huston plays the studio head and Harvey Keitel her agent. Jon Hamm voices a character and Paul Giamatti also appears. I gave it four "stars."

It's available for rent at Amazon, VUDU, etc. VUDU for some reason was a $1 cheaper than Amazon and I watched in HDX. It's a "still in theaters" though at regular rental prices. Actually I saw that it is at an the Oakland New Parkway theater where I saw a film under the old management back in the 1990s and is a dinner movie theater. You order your meal and drink and they give you a number thing to put at your table and they bring out your order during the film. The food was good too.
Sounds intersting once I realized what Congress you were talking about.
CoreyM's Avatar CoreyM 05:41 AM 10-12-2014
Have some catching up to do, but got two in last night:
7. Pieces (1982, Hulu, FTV)
This film is laughably awful, incredibly overacted, paper thin characters especially the victims, and yet I thoroughly enjoyed it as something of a comedy. There are so many classic lines of bad dialogue including the "BASTARD!" Also a line about smoking a J and doing it on a waterbed. Fittingly someone meets their end completely randomly on such a bed. While mostly silly some of the chainsaw work was pretty good. Also the random 80s ending had me in stitches.

8. The Prowler (1981, Hulu, FTV)
This one was legit 80s slasher fare. I remember the posters and VHS at my video store in the 80s. Always was curious but never saw it. Effect work by Savini. Pretty typical of other films of its day but some good kill shots.

Both films open in the 40s and set up the killer without a reveal so you're kind of guessing the whole time. Moreso with Pieces which has a few obvious red herrings.

Both were also featured on a podcast I heard 5 or 6 years ago. So I've been meaning to check them off the list for a long time.

I'd recommend both if you haven't seen them and like 80s horror (in which case you probably have seen at least one).
Ken.F's Avatar Ken.F 06:22 AM 10-12-2014
I have some catching up to do as well. Work keeps interfering with my personal life.

[10/8] Fido (2006) - "Timmy Robinson's best friend in the whole wide world is a six-foot tall rotting zombie named Fido. But when FIDO eats the next-door neighbor, Mom and Dad hit the roof, and Timmy has to go to the ends of the earth to keep Fido a part of the family. A boy-and-his-dog movie for grown ups, "FIDO" will rip your heart out."
This one is a fun '50s style zom-com. Domesticated zombies are controlled with electronic collars that sometimes go on the fritz.

[10/9] Twixt (2011) - "A writer with a declining career arrives in a small town as part of his book tour and gets caught up in a murder mystery involving a young girl."
Val Kilmer and Bruce Dern couldn't save this one. Boring.
darthrsg's Avatar darthrsg 08:47 AM 10-12-2014
30. Beckoning the Butcher. FTV. Aussie found footage of events surrounding some disappearances related to a ritual summoning of evil. Shades of Lake Mungo but more like Blair Witch.
31. Septic Man. FTV. From the Pontypool crowd comes this flick about a guy trapped in a sewer. He screams a lot and smears doodoo on himself. It's gross and full of dookie and nasty things in the water.
The Mice's Avatar The Mice 09:12 AM 10-12-2014
Unfortunately I had a fatal playback issue with Pontypool last night, so I ended up substituting it out for Grave Encounters which I'd also never seen before. While not the best horror movie I've seen, I have to say that I was impressed by the fact that it put a few genuine scares into me and gave me goosebumps at other times. I am largely desensitized to horror movies at this point and not many movies do this to me, so that was definitely a plus. Of course I took some advice ahead of time and watched it in the total dark with the volume turned up!
darthrsg's Avatar darthrsg 09:37 AM 10-12-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mice View Post
Unfortunately I had a fatal playback issue with Pontypool last night, so I ended up substituting it out for Grave Encounters which I'd also never seen before. While not the best horror movie I've seen, I have to say that I was impressed by the fact that it put a few genuine scares into me and gave me goosebumps at other times. I am largely desensitized to horror movies at this point and not many movies do this to me, so that was definitely a plus. Of course I took some advice ahead of time and watched it in the total dark with the volume turned up!
So Grave Encounters is worth a watch? I'm also immune to a lot of stuff but I find certain parts of movies to be scary and I love getting a jump scare.
First ... 379  380  381 382  383  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop