October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....) - Page 382 - AVS Forum
First ... 380  381  382 383  384  ... Last
Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion > October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....)
Waboman's Avatar Waboman 10:24 AM 10-12-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
After a really crazy week at work (I work Sundays so it ain't over yet), nothing was going to keep me from Dracula Untold. As a Dracula origin story it's pretty good and does blend in the history of the real Vlad the Impaler with Dracula as we know him. It's more supernatural than horror at times (It's PG-13) and once it gets going it gets pretty kick-ass. It you're into Dracula movies vs.just the vampire genre you'll get into it. Think of it as Dracula with a little Game of Thrones thrown in.
I wanted to see Dracula Untold last night but was talked into seeing something else instead. Glad to hear ol' Drac delivers.

darthrsg's Avatar darthrsg 11:09 AM 10-12-2014
Getting geared up for some trick or treating.
Attached: WP_20141012_003 1.jpg (160.1 KB) 
The Mice's Avatar The Mice 11:19 AM 10-12-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
So Grave Encounters is worth a watch? I'm also immune to a lot of stuff but I find certain parts of movies to be scary and I love getting a jump scare.

Personally I think it is worth a watch! I wasn't sure what to expect going in and was pleasantly surprised. But, as always, your mileage may vary! It's not too long either, I think it was 93 minutes.
darthrsg's Avatar darthrsg 11:27 AM 10-12-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mice View Post
Personally I think it is worth a watch! I wasn't sure what to expect going in and was pleasantly surprised. But, as always, your mileage may vary! It's not too long either, I think it was 93 minutes.
I caught a couple of short ones myself. 70 minutes for one and 20 for another. I'll see if I can get to it tonight.
Kain's Avatar Kain 12:35 PM 10-12-2014
Planning on watching Darkness Falls (2003) soon. Haven't seen it in years and don't remember too much of it. Thing that brought this movie back in mind were the positive statements of the aggressive sound mix in the reviews.
stevew24963's Avatar stevew24963 01:36 PM 10-12-2014
Quote:
So Grave Encounters is worth a watch? I'm also immune to a lot of stuff but I find certain parts of movies to be scary and I love getting a jump scare.
I think you will enjoy this one. Well worth a watch.
Brian Conrad's Avatar Brian Conrad 02:37 PM 10-12-2014
Last night was not a good NF streaming night but I did finally get to watch and finish "Stitches" the clown horror comedy which probably most of you have seen. I give it 3 broken eggs.
darthrsg's Avatar darthrsg 03:18 PM 10-12-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew24963 View Post
I think you will enjoy this one. Well worth a watch.
Cool. It's been talked about favorably here.
stevew24963's Avatar stevew24963 03:24 PM 10-12-2014
Quote:
Cool. It's been talked about favorably here.
GE 2 isn't bad either,YMMV,of course.[emoji317]

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
stevew24963's Avatar stevew24963 03:25 PM 10-12-2014
BTW,loving the Ice King.

darthrsg's Avatar darthrsg 03:28 PM 10-12-2014
Quote:
BTW,loving the Ice King.

Being a dad rules.
stevew24963's Avatar stevew24963 03:31 PM 10-12-2014
Quote:
Being a dad rules.
Big [emoji106] on that !

BornSlippyZ's Avatar BornSlippyZ 04:15 PM 10-12-2014
I took a small break yesterday and I fit in The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King (extended edition) between my horror watching. Never seen this flick before and my MIL bought me the box set, pretty nice gesture from her!

#17 Rosemary's Baby, Neflix HD streaming...I love this flick and the era it was made in! Most everyone knows what is going on in this flick because it is a Horror classic! Only thing I will say is sometimes the scariest people could be your neighbors! 5 Demon Baby Zombies!

#18 Banshee Chapter, Netflix HD streaming, FTV...I was in need of watching something else after Return of the King (epic flick bTW) so this movie caught my eye. It is a fauxmentary/slight shaky cam horror flick, along the lines of the MK Ultra conspiracy theory. A writer decides to find out what happened to her college friend that disappeared after he took this type of 'mind control' drug. This movie actually made me jump once so I have to give it props for being somewhat scary. Ted Levine from The Silence of the Lambs fame (Jame Gumb/it's puts the lotion on the skin or it gets the hose again dude!). Worth a watch if you like these types of movies! 3.75 Mind Controlled Zombies!
darthrsg's Avatar darthrsg 04:17 PM 10-12-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post
I took a small break yesterday and I fit in The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King between my horror watching. Never seen this flick before and my MIL bought me the box set, pretty nice gesture from her!

#17 Rosemary's Baby, Neflix HD streaming...I love this flick and the era it was made in! Most everyone knows what is going on in this flick because it is a Horror classic! Only thing I will say is sometimes the scariest people could be your neighbors! 5 Demon Baby Zombies!

#18 Banshee Chapter, Netflix HD streaming, FTV...I was in need of watching something else after Return of the King (epic flick bTW) so this movie caught my eye. It is a fauxmentary/slight shaky cam horror flick, along the lines of the MK Ultra conspiracy theory. A writer decides to find out what happened to her college friend that disappeared after he took this type of 'mind control' drug. This movie actually made me jump once so I have to give it props for being somewhat scary. Ted Levine from The Silence of the Lambs fame (Jame Gumb/it's puts the lotion on the skin or it gets the hose again dude!). Worth a watch if you like these types of movies! 3.25 Mind Controlled Zombies!
Banshee Chapter had me reading about DMT all last week. Speaking of, if you get a chance check out Into The Void.
stevew24963's Avatar stevew24963 04:22 PM 10-12-2014
BornSlippyZ's Avatar BornSlippyZ 04:27 PM 10-12-2014
Quote:
Banshee Chapter had me reading about DMT all last week. Speaking of, if you get a chance check out Into The Void.
that movie was like going to a rave party on all the party favors! What a trip! Wolf of Wall Street had the same effect on me!

That DMT stuff is crazy and (tin foil hat on!) I don't doubt the gov dosing unsuspecting people with it. But they have lots of test subjects aka military members (tin foil hat off). Banshee did scare me a bit and the location at the end was damn scary in it's self!
BornSlippyZ's Avatar BornSlippyZ 04:28 PM 10-12-2014
Quote:
I knew this would get out of hand when protocol wasn't followed with patient zero coming to the states.
stevew24963's Avatar stevew24963 04:34 PM 10-12-2014
Quote:
I knew this would get out of hand when protocol wasn't followed with patient zero coming to the states.
Torches and pitchforks !
BornSlippyZ's Avatar BornSlippyZ 04:40 PM 10-12-2014
Quote:
Torches and pitchforks !
What is crazy was that I remember going to these places back in my AF days and the CDC/everyone else told us the dangers of said viruses. What happened between then and now?! They act like this is a common cold or something like that. Well if the virus mutates and becomes airborne, most will catch it like a cold.

side bar, has Oink showed up in the F1 thread?
darthrsg's Avatar darthrsg 05:00 PM 10-12-2014
Quote:
What is crazy was that I remember going to these places back in my AF days and the CDC/everyone else told us the dangers of said viruses. What happened between then and now?! They act like this is a common cold or something like that. Well if the virus mutates and becomes airborne, most will catch it like a cold.

Yep. For years it was sold as a world ender and now you can't catch it unless you eat da poopoo or whatever. I knew something was up when they stopped using the words "casual contact" yet if you read through the spin it's a casual contact virus.
Waboman's Avatar Waboman 05:26 PM 10-12-2014
Quote:

stevew24963's Avatar stevew24963 05:51 PM 10-12-2014
Quote:

Sadly,Haven't seen anything from our dear friend Oink.

stevew24963's Avatar stevew24963 05:53 PM 10-12-2014
Awaiting the season premiere of The Walking Dead.

Ken.F's Avatar Ken.F 05:56 PM 10-12-2014
Today I watched Torment and And Soon the Darkness. With all the talk about Grave Encounters I watched that one too. Now you guys have me wanting to see Banshee Chapter.

Torment (2013) - "Newlyweds Cory and Sarah Morgan take Cory's 7-year old son Liam up to the country for some much needed family time. When it appears as if Liam has run away, psychological suspense becomes straight-out horror..."
I really liked this one. It sort of reminded me of You're Next.

And Soon the Darkness (2010) - "When two American girls on a bike trip in a remote part of Argentina split up and one of them goes missing, the other must find her before her worst fears are realized."
This one was just OK. Pretty slow for most of the movie but it has Amber Heard so I had to watch it.

Grave Encounters (2011) - "For their ghost hunting reality show, a production crew locks themselves inside an abandoned mental hospital that's supposedly haunted - and it might prove to be all too true."
Awesome! This one reminded me of Session 9 except it was good.
ZzBloopzZ's Avatar ZzBloopzZ 07:24 PM 10-12-2014
Can you guys recommend any scary scary movies? I used to be the biggest wuss when it came to horror flicks several years ago, my GF got me hooked on them.

This past few weeks we have been picking movies from Dreadit: Movie Guide - http://www.reddit.com/r/horror/wiki/movieguide Sad to say, lots of flicks we seen on there recently have been decent, but nothing super scary. :c/ Not trying to be negative either... Perhaps I am starting to get desensatized? Some recent things we watched:

Creepshow #1 - it was weak overall and kind of weird. Some of it was from Tales from the Crypt (awesome show, watched it all few years ago). 2/5

1408 - It was decent in terms of getting my attention. Jumped 1-2 times. 3.8/5.

Cat People (1942) - We enjoyed this one overall, but it was definitely not scary.

Evil Dead series - This was very good, I have seen bits and pieces of them over the years but was nice to watch them properly. Jumped a few times.

Ringu - Meh, was difficult to get through. Would not waste time with it.

The Gruidge (Japanese Version) - Awesome! I was freaked out.

Into the Mirror - Awesome, jumped few times. Very engaging.

Rosemary's Baby - Excellent, I was captivated throughout the movie.

Movies that we plan to watch next: Tale of two sisters, The Tenant, [REC], Poltergeist (GF claims we watched this but skimmed through trailer and does not look familiar), the company of wolves, the haunting (1963).

Appreciate any other suggestions!
BornSlippyZ's Avatar BornSlippyZ 07:35 PM 10-12-2014
Those are some decent horror movies, my favorite one is Poltergeist and of course Rosemary's Baby! REC is really good as well! Here some othe ones that might bring the scares!

The Fourth Kind
Grave Encounters
SkinWalker Ranch
Alien Abduction
The Descent
Pumpkinhead
The Thing (82)
The Conjuring
Dark Skies
Sinister
VHS2 especially the last episode!
The Shining

Welcome ZzBloopZz to the Horror Show!
Bob McLaughlin's Avatar Bob McLaughlin 07:49 PM 10-12-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZzBloopzZ View Post
Can you guys recommend any scary scary movies? I used to be the biggest wuss when it came to horror flicks several years ago, my GF got me hooked on them.

This past few weeks we have been picking movies from Dreadit: Movie Guide - http://www.reddit.com/r/horror/wiki/movieguide Sad to say, lots of flicks we seen on there recently have been decent, but nothing super scary. :c/ Not trying to be negative either... Perhaps I am starting to get desensatized? Some recent things we watched:

Creepshow #1 - it was weak overall and kind of weird. Some of it was from Tales from the Crypt (awesome show, watched it all few years ago). 2/5

1408 - It was decent in terms of getting my attention. Jumped 1-2 times. 3.8/5.

Cat People (1942) - We enjoyed this one overall, but it was definitely not scary.

Evil Dead series - This was very good, I have seen bits and pieces of them over the years but was nice to watch them properly. Jumped a few times.

Ringu - Meh, was difficult to get through. Would not waste time with it.

The Gruidge (Japanese Version) - Awesome! I was freaked out.

Into the Mirror - Awesome, jumped few times. Very engaging.

Rosemary's Baby - Excellent, I was captivated throughout the movie.

Movies that we plan to watch next: Tale of two sisters, The Tenant, [REC], Poltergeist (GF claims we watched this but skimmed through trailer and does not look familiar), the company of wolves, the haunting (1963).

Appreciate any other suggestions!
Jacob's Ladder
The Descent
Sinister
The Others
Candyman
Suspiria
Ju-on
House of the Devil
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Session 9
The Innocents
Below
Silent House (foreign version)
Absentia
Lovely Molly
YellowBrickRoad
Citadel
Bob McLaughlin's Avatar Bob McLaughlin 08:07 PM 10-12-2014
I'm behind on my reviews but I'm still keeping up the pace of one movie per day.

10. Dead Snow
Norwegian twenty-somethings go on a fun weekend at a snowy mountain cabin but it quickly turns into a nightmare of Nazi zombies who don't like outsiders. Dead Nazis are everyone's favorite kind of Nazi, and zombie Nazis are even better, of course. This film has several familiar premises: an isolated cabin, obnoxious kids who don't respect the history of the region, creepy old guy who gives them a warning, and a siege on the group. But despite the familiar setup, the whole thing feels fresh and fun. Things are a bit slow to get warmed up but once this movie gets rolling, it's such a gleeful gore-fest that even jaded zombie movie fans won't be able to help from cracking a smile.

3.5 out of 5 stars.

Bob's October 2014 Horror Movie List
FTV denotes first time viewing
1. From Beyond The Grave (FTV) 3/5
2. Bad Dreams (FTV) 3.5/5
3. Bug (1975) (FTV) 2/5
4. The Sacrament (FTV) 3.5/5
5. The Funhouse (FTV) 4/5
6. The Atomic Submarine (FTV) 4/5
7. 13 Sins (FTV) 4/5
8. Tales from the Darkside: The Movie 3.5/5
9. Stir of Echoes 4.5/5
10. Dead Snow 3.5/5

Bob McLaughlin's Avatar Bob McLaughlin 08:34 PM 10-12-2014
11. The Hole (FTV)
A teenage boy and his kid brother find a seemingly bottomless pit under a locked trap door in the basement floor of the old house they recently moved into. It isn't long before strange things start happening--and things start coming up from the darkness. Joe Dante (Gremlins, The Howling, Matinee) has produced that rarest of beasts--a family-friendly horror movie that produces genuine scares. Don't let that phrase "family-friendly" fool you--this is a PG-13 film, not for the young kiddies, but teens (and adults) who love a good scare will like the characters, and 21-year-old Haley Bennett as the girl next door is pretty darn easy on the eyes too. This film very much has the feel of a lost film from the 80's, even though it was released in 2009, and Dante's fingerprints are all over it. I can see why this unusual film didn't find an audience theatrically, but I'm surprised I haven't heard much buzz online about such a fun and scary little horror movie. This one is now in the front running for my "discovery of the month" award.

4 out of 5 stars.

Bob's October 2014 Horror Movie List
FTV denotes first time viewing
1. From Beyond The Grave (FTV) 3/5
2. Bad Dreams (FTV) 3.5/5
3. Bug (1975) (FTV) 2/5
4. The Sacrament (FTV) 3.5/5
5. The Funhouse (FTV) 4/5
6. The Atomic Submarine (FTV) 4/5
7. 13 Sins (FTV) 4/5
8. Tales from the Darkside: The Movie 3.5/5
9. Stir of Echoes 4.5/5
10. Dead Snow 3.5/5
11. The Hole (FTV) 4/5

darthrsg's Avatar darthrsg 08:44 PM 10-12-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZzBloopzZ View Post

Dreadit talks a good game but they are pretty middle of the road most days of the week and think Cabin In The Woods is a stellar horror flick. Any place that downvotes Manborg needs ISIS to behead them.

Drag Me To Hell
Prince of Darkness
Sinister
First ... 380  381  382 383  384  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop