October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....) - Page 388 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1380Likes

post #11611 of 11908 Old 10-19-2014, 04:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 75
16. The Den (NF Streaming, FTV)
Ummm, holy crap. I thought this was great. Didn't know where it was going at first but really enjoyed it once it started to play out. I think the film had some real genuine moments where you truly didn't know what was going to happen next and then there was plenty of wonder on who might be doing this. I'm not a FF connoisseur and not really sure if this counts, but it's certainly at the top of my list for this type of flick.
ApolloCreed likes this.

XBox: King Nuthin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11612 of 11908 Old 10-19-2014, 04:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyM View Post
16. The Den (NF Streaming, FTV)
Ummm, holy crap. I thought this was great. Didn't know where it was going at first but really enjoyed it once it started to play out. I think the film had some real genuine moments where you truly didn't know what was going to happen next and then there was plenty of wonder on who might be doing this. I'm not a FF connoisseur and not really sure if this counts, but it's certainly at the top of my list for this type of flick.
The Den was my second watch this month. It starts slow but ends strong. It's worth the wait.

Spoiler!
post #11613 of 11908 Old 10-19-2014, 04:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Watched another of my favorites last night. Jaws (1975) - Big angry fish vs. three men on a fishing boat. Quint's account of the sinking of the USS Indianapolis gives me chills every time I hear it.
post #11614 of 11908 Old 10-19-2014, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 305
#22, The Quiet Ones, BD FTV..I got this disc in from netflix and I was skeptical because of the PG13 rating. This movie is about a Psychology Professor and some students trying to 'rid' a force inside this girl by questionable experiments. Pretty cool scenes along with good audio in this BD. I though the ending was great but this movie should have been an R feature imo to really capture my attention. 3.25 Oxford Student Zombies!

The Den sounds pretty good and I think I might give that a whirl later today!

Jaws is a classic and that true life story told by Quint was horrifying! I couldn't imagine being stuck out in the middle of the ocean with a bunch of sharks swimming around you!
wizzack and The Mice like this.

October HorrorFest Participant
post #11615 of 11908 Old 10-19-2014, 08:33 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 88
I decided to watch Pandorum last night, some of you might recall I found it in the $5 Blu-ray bargain bin recently. I didn't think it was great, but it was okay and just enough to hold my interest throughout. 3 out of 5 material for me. It does have some jump scares but it also got me thinking of how it would be if I was in the shoes of the crew members of the movie. The ending was decent and unexpected on my part. This movie got me thinking about some classic PC games such as Doom 3 and Dead Space, and to a lesser degree a movie from 2005, The Descent. And that can't be a bad thing.
post #11616 of 11908 Old 10-19-2014, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mice View Post
I decided to watch Pandorum last night, some of you might recall I found it in the $5 Blu-ray bargain bin recently. I didn't think it was great, but it was okay and just enough to hold my interest throughout. 3 out of 5 material for me. It does have some jump scares but it also got me thinking of how it would be if I was in the shoes of the crew members of the movie. The ending was decent and unexpected on my part. This movie got me thinking about some classic PC games such as Doom 3 and Dead Space, and to a lesser degree a movie from 2005, The Descent. And that can't be a bad thing.
I like Pandorum and for 5 bucks, it is a win/win! I wish someone would do a Dead Space movie!

October HorrorFest Participant
post #11617 of 11908 Old 10-19-2014, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 935
post #11618 of 11908 Old 10-19-2014, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
Family arts and crafts time.

Attachment 319930
Looks like you guys had a great time. I'm digging the green witch with the lips.
darthrsg likes this.

When life gives you limes, make margaritas
post #11619 of 11908 Old 10-19-2014, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 154
"The Possession of Michael King" is another bargain at Amazon so I watched it last night in HD since it is only available at RB as DVD. I kinda thought the trailer sells it short but I liked the film. It's about a guy who tries to make a documentary to debunk religion and spirituality and of course things go awry and he gets possessed. Three and a half crawling ants.

post #11620 of 11908 Old 10-19-2014, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Nope. Not enjoyable. Shame on Bobcat.
I can understand that but I mess around with film making myself and am a fan of guerrilla film making (what Bobcat calls this film). So I enjoyed it from that perspective. I was curious about what it was shot with as it didn't appear to be done with a Red and then made to look like a consumer camera in post. So after sitting through a few festival Q&As and interviews I found the press kit Word doc that says they did shoot with a consumer camera from Canon. I suspect one of the Vixia models. I'm still waiting for someone to shoot with a $20 Vivitar as a conceit. However my $52 dash cam has 1080p and 2014 chipset and there is no shutter roll.
GoCaboNow likes this.
post #11621 of 11908 Old 10-19-2014, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:
Could you see it well? I saw it in a movie theater when it came out and it was dark i couldnt see half of what was happening.

never take life seriously
post #11622 of 11908 Old 10-19-2014, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
"The Possession of Michael King" is another bargain at Amazon so I watched it last night in HD since it is only available at RB as DVD. I kinda thought the trailer sells it short but I liked the film. It's about a guy who tries to make a documentary to debunk religion and spirituality and of course things go awry and he gets possessed. Three and a half crawling ants.

http://youtu.be/rIZbq7V2xvs
Totally solid flick, one of my faves this month and a very intriguing concept. This and Banshee Chapter have kept me on a DMT research stint all month.
post #11623 of 11908 Old 10-19-2014, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
I can understand that but I mess around with film making myself and am a fan of guerrilla film making (what Bobcat calls this film). So I enjoyed it from that perspective. I was curious about what it was shot with as it didn't appear to be done with a Red and then made to look like a consumer camera in post. So after sitting through a few festival Q&As and interviews I found the press kit Word doc that says they did shoot with a consumer camera from Canon. I suspect one of the Vixia models. I'm still waiting for someone to shoot with a $20 Vivitar as a conceit. However my $52 dash cam has 1080p and 2014 chipset and there is no shutter roll.
I sure wanted it to be better but that Honeymoon one is far superior (not saying much) and didn't appear to be much more than two folks in the woods.
post #11624 of 11908 Old 10-19-2014, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Byzantium (2012) - "Residents of a coastal town learn, with deathly consequences, the secret shared by the two mysterious women who have sought shelter at a local resort."

This one was like a Lifetime movie with vampires. The story was strong but the horror elements are tame.
post #11625 of 11908 Old 10-19-2014, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Just rented Freddy vs Jason then I realized I have the disc.
post #11626 of 11908 Old 10-19-2014, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 661
The Simpsons: Treehouse of Terror XXV

I've always enjoyed the Treehouse of Terrors specials. This one had some pretty good stuff. The blast from the past in The Others parody was great. I give it 4 out of expiration date donuts.

When life gives you limes, make margaritas
post #11627 of 11908 Old 10-19-2014, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post
Could you see it well? I saw it in a movie theater when it came out and it was dark i couldnt see half of what was happening.
There were some dark scenes but I didn't have much problem at all seeing the movie on my television. Generally speaking when watching movies, I will use the "Cinema" picture preset. My TV is an LG 55LW5000.
post #11628 of 11908 Old 10-19-2014, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post
I like Pandorum and for 5 bucks, it is a win/win! I wish someone would do a Dead Space movie!

Oh definitely, for five bucks, Pandorum is a welcome addition to my collection. I might not have sounded too positive in my analysis of the movie, but I thought it did enough things right to be worth seeing. I can see from the IMDB website that the average rating for the movie is pretty decent. Dead Space is an awesome game, I just played it again not too long ago!

As I'd mentioned, I have a heavy work schedule this week that I was not originally expecting, so I won't be able to watch a whole lot this week. However, tonight, I felt compelled to watch Horror of Dracula from 1958 starring Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing. I really wanted to get at least one Dracula movie in this year if not more. Anyhow, as with most classic horror films, this one is not scary, but instead offers an excellent story with well done scenes and settings. One calamity after another happens in this movie and it is a good movie worth checking out. I originally bought it as a 4-pack with three other movies.
post #11629 of 11908 Old 10-20-2014, 01:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
That is an unexpected ending isn't it.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #11630 of 11908 Old 10-20-2014, 01:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 75
17. Killer Workout (aka Aerobicide - Youtube)
Absolute trash from 1987. Completely ridiculous murders at a fitness club with bad 80s music and an obscene body count and yet most of the characters just went on about their business while everyone is killed. Mostly by an oversized safety pin.

It's hard to say I was not entertained by this one. Good comic relief after last night's viewing.
ApolloCreed and wizzack like this.

XBox: King Nuthin
post #11631 of 11908 Old 10-20-2014, 01:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
Byzantium (2012) - "Residents of a coastal town learn, with deathly consequences, the secret shared by the two mysterious women who have sought shelter at a local resort."

This one was like a Lifetime movie with vampires. The story was strong but the horror elements are tame.
But there is a level of brutality at times, overall a change from the Bram Stoker/ Anne Rice school of vampires. This one mostly removes any romantic allusions about vampirism.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #11632 of 11908 Old 10-20-2014, 01:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post
It is dark on Blu Ray also. You may have to give up a bit of black level to see what's going on in the shadows, a little tweaking and turn off all the lights and you're good.

post #11633 of 11908 Old 10-20-2014, 01:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tydq View Post
20. The Stuff (1985)(FTV) - 2.0

Everyone was talking about it, and I have it, so I decided to jump on the bandwagon. Ehhhhh, this didn’t quite do it for me. It started out promising in its hilarity. I love how casual the main character was about everything. Like when they were regrouping at the diner and all he could talk about was how gross that guy’s mouth looked when it was open really wide, completely ignoring the fact that he had just punched a man’s face clean off. Or how he and his lady friend did a full day of espionage activities (I think? That’s how it started, but everyone was always so welcoming) before relaxing at their motel room, completely forgetting the fact they had flown in with a child they left on the plane. It’s okay, though. He eventually found himself safely locked inside an empty oil tanker. After that, it wasn’t intentionally or unintentionally funny enough to keep the momentum going, and they were pretty light on the special effects, which were cool when they used them. Oh yea, and I also enjoyed the marketing campaign that involved having ladies in fur coats telling the camera how much they liked the product…genius!
I'm with you the 80's had their share of bad sci-fi, horror movies, and this is one of them. Had this film just dropped the humor and went for terror it might have been something.

post #11634 of 11908 Old 10-20-2014, 02:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Read on Reddit that mapmakers include fake town names to catch copycats. It dawned on me that makes a great setup for horror flick. Lost travelers comparing maps see a town listed on one but not the other. They decide to go there. Evil ensues.
That idea has potential

post #11635 of 11908 Old 10-20-2014, 02:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Finally got around to watching Phantasm last night, and for me, it was a first time viewing! I wasn't too sure what to make of it at first but it got interesting and came together nicely in the end. This movie may not have totally been my thing, but it was fun and unusual. The Tall Man is a welcome change from the "normal" horror movie villain. For sure a good pick to watch at or near Halloween!
What makes Phantasm unique is the way it switches from horror to sci-fi then back, and in the process blows out of the water what you think was the explanation of what was going on. Now go watch Phantasm 2, you're ready
The Mice likes this.

post #11636 of 11908 Old 10-20-2014, 03:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Let Me In (2010) - English re-make of the Swedish "Let the Right One In". "A bullied young boy befriends a young female vampire who lives in secrecy with her guardian."

I'm not claiming this version is better than the original, but I find it easier to become immersed in the story without having to read subtitles. Both are excellent.
post #11637 of 11908 Old 10-20-2014, 04:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
But there is a level of brutality at times, overall a change from the Bram Stoker/ Anne Rice school of vampires. This one mostly removes any romantic allusions about vampirism.
I agree with what you are saying. It starts and ends with a bit of brutality but I found it hard to stay interested in the middle.
post #11638 of 11908 Old 10-20-2014, 05:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyM View Post
17. Killer Workout (aka Aerobicide - Youtube)
Absolute trash from 1987. Completely ridiculous murders at a fitness club with bad 80s music and an obscene body count and yet most of the characters just went on about their business while everyone is killed. Mostly by an oversized safety pin.

It's hard to say I was not entertained by this one. Good comic relief after last night's viewing.
Yes! Can't wait for this one.

The above post is 100% medically accurate

31 Days of Horror: 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009 2008
post #11639 of 11908 Old 10-20-2014, 05:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tydq View Post
20. The Stuff (1985)(FTV) - 2.0

Everyone was talking about it, and I have it, so I decided to jump on the bandwagon. Ehhhhh, this didn’t quite do it for me. It started out promising in its hilarity. I love how casual the main character was about everything. Like when they were regrouping at the diner and all he could talk about was how gross that guy’s mouth looked when it was open really wide, completely ignoring the fact that he had just punched a man’s face clean off. Or how he and his lady friend did a full day of espionage activities (I think? That’s how it started, but everyone was always so welcoming) before relaxing at their motel room, completely forgetting the fact they had flown in with a child they left on the plane. It’s okay, though. He eventually found himself safely locked inside an empty oil tanker. After that, it wasn’t intentionally or unintentionally funny enough to keep the momentum going, and they were pretty light on the special effects, which were cool when they used them. Oh yea, and I also enjoyed the marketing campaign that involved having ladies in fur coats telling the camera how much they liked the product…genius!
Exactly. Stuff was better seeing it in the 80's.

The above post is 100% medically accurate

31 Days of Horror: 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009 2008
post #11640 of 11908 Old 10-20-2014, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

41. Halloween 2007
42. The Gate
43. Frankenstein's Army
44. The Cannibal Man. FTV.
45. The Monster Squad
46. Fright Night
47. Monster House
48. Freddy vs Jason
CoreyM, ApolloCreed and wizzack like this.

Last edited by darthrsg; 10-20-2014 at 06:33 AM.
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page