October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....) - Page 391 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 2658Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #11701 of 15016 Old 10-22-2014, 12:31 PM
Member
 
tydq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 87
25. From Beyond (1986)(FTV) - 4.0

Hmmmm, I’m starting to notice a lot of phallic symbolism in the movies I’ve been watching this month. In this case, it was in the form of an overdeveloped, prehensile Pineal gland protruding from the main character’s forehead. The symbolism was initially lost on me, until a female character bit it off and I involuntarily crossed my legs. This movie is another team up of Jeffrey Combs and Stuart Gordon adapting subject matter from an H.P. Lovecraft story. I thought it was great. It had a creeping sense of dread, some good build up, some gross-out gore effects. It didn’t have the frenetic pacing of Re-Animator, but it was still a very enjoyable movie. Oh man, I just looked up Mr. Gordon’s filmography to verify what other Lovecraftian movies of his I had to look forward to, and saw that he directed Robot Jox! I’m going to have to keep an eye out for some of his other movies (possibly excluding Space Truckers and The Wonderful Ice Cream Suit).

26. Dead Snow (2009)(FTV) - 4.0

I’ve been getting pretty abstract in my viewing recently, so I decided to switch over to straightforward zombies. This movie adds a lot to the genre, I think
Spoiler!
. We’re past the point where we need another zombie movie that attempts to show the beginning of the apocalypse, or provide some explanation of why there are zombies. We’re way past the point of having that one dumbass character who doesn’t believe zombies exist (lookin’ at you, Survival of the Dead). This movie took people, put them in a situation that involved zombies, and then watched how they tried to work themselves out of it. Add in some humor, excellent effects and some novel shots like
Spoiler!
. It all adds up to a good time.

__________________________________________________ ___________________


Horrorfest 2013 (in 2014)

Horrorfest 2014
tydq is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #11702 of 15016 Old 10-22-2014, 12:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
darthrsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Post America America
Posts: 10,000
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked: 1281
Quote:
Originally Posted by tydq View Post
25. From Beyond (1986)(FTV) - 4.0

Hmmmm, I’m starting to notice a lot of phallic symbolism in the movies I’ve been watching this month. In this case, it was in the form of an overdeveloped, prehensile Pineal gland protruding from the main character’s forehead. The symbolism was initially lost on me, until a female character bit it off and I involuntarily crossed my legs. This movie is another team up of Jeffrey Combs and Stuart Gordon adapting subject matter from an H.P. Lovecraft story. I thought it was great. It had a creeping sense of dread, some good build up, some gross-out gore effects. It didn’t have the frenetic pacing of Re-Animator, but it was still a very enjoyable movie. Oh man, I just looked up Mr. Gordon’s filmography to verify what other Lovecraftian movies of his I had to look forward to, and saw that he directed Robot Jox! I’m going to have to keep an eye out for some of his other movies (possibly excluding Space Truckers and The Wonderful Ice Cream Suit).

26. Dead Snow (2009)(FTV) - 4.0

I’ve been getting pretty abstract in my viewing recently, so I decided to switch over to straightforward zombies. This movie adds a lot to the genre, I think
Spoiler!
. We’re past the point where we need another zombie movie that attempts to show the beginning of the apocalypse, or provide some explanation of why there are zombies. We’re way past the point of having that one dumbass character who doesn’t believe zombies exist (lookin’ at you, Survival of the Dead). This movie took people, put them in a situation that involved zombies, and then watched how they tried to work themselves out of it. Add in some humor, excellent effects and some novel shots like
Spoiler!
. It all adds up to a good time.
Combs is in Would You Rather and you'll probably dig it. Dead Snow is huge shot in the arm for the Zombie genre. If you need more pineal stimulation check out Into The Void and Banshee Chapter. Just don't come crying back here if your ego dies.

"When crazy is standard, sane needs a name tag."
darthrsg is offline  
post #11703 of 15016 Old 10-22-2014, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
BornSlippyZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Minnesota!
Posts: 2,133
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked: 441
#23 The Prince of Darkness, HD. I had to throw in one of my favorite classics for Halloween! This movie is great and I am glad a lot of people are liking this film more and more! College (theoretical physics) students are called in to investigate a container in an abandoned church. Other than that the cast is great and includes guys from Big Trouble in Little China and Alice Cooper! 4.5 Green Ooze Zombies!



#24 Extraterrestrial, FTV This film is pretty good for this newer Alien Abduction genre! Starts out with young adults taking a vacation in a cabin, in the woods. Well there are also 'other' beings on the prey for these people alone in a cabin. Darth said it best in his review but this little movie has it all conspiracy, love, scared young adults and pesky grey aliens! 4 Grey Alien Zombies!




#25, The Den, Netflix streaming HD FTV. I was seeing this movie pop up in this thread so I gave it a whirl! It was pretty good for a slasher flick for this technological generation! Great pacing with the action and for a low budget film it flowed well! It is a somewhat shaky cam movie but it does touch on a lot of situations people today get in, although probably not this kind of situation! 3.5 Web Browsing Zombies!


Some great flicks you guys are watching! Keep up the good work!


Kenobi, hopefully things are going ok out west. I remember you mentioned you were commuting from the Bay Area to Sacto and man I did that drive for a few months and it nearly wiped me out!
Waboman, wizzack and GoCaboNow like this.

October HorrorFest Participant
BornSlippyZ is offline  
post #11704 of 15016 Old 10-22-2014, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
GoCaboNow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,383
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
Combs is in Would You Rather and you'll probably dig it. Dead Snow is huge shot in the arm for the Zombie genre. If you need more pineal stimulation check out Into The Void and Banshee Chapter. Just don't come crying back here if your ego dies.
Into the Void or Enter the Void?

Location: Beaverton, Oregon
My Dedicated Home Theater Room
GoCaboNow is offline  
post #11705 of 15016 Old 10-22-2014, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
CoreyM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,362
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 90
20. Stitches (NF Stream, FTV)
I was a little tired and maybe that effects my judgement, but meh. There were a few neat gags, more penis dismemberment following from Teeth and that's about it. The Clown was like a lame Freddy for me with a ton of not funny one-liners. I guess I just expected more from a killer clown. Not sure why?

XBox: King Nuthin
CoreyM is offline  
post #11706 of 15016 Old 10-22-2014, 04:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
darthrsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Post America America
Posts: 10,000
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked: 1281
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post
Into the Void or Enter the Void?
Enter. Enter the Void.
darthrsg is offline  
post #11707 of 15016 Old 10-22-2014, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Ken.F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: West Rockhill, PA
Posts: 2,902
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 710 Post(s)
Liked: 657
Quarantine (2008) - English remake of the Spanish film REC.
I felt it was easier to watch the English language remake of Let the Right One In and the same applies here. REC is a fantastic horror film and Manuela Velasco is a sweetheart, but I found Quarantine easier to follow. Maybe it's because I already knew the story of both of these foreign language films before seeing the English remake, I don't know. What I do know is REC/Quarantine as well as Let the Right One In/Let Me In should be seen by all horror film fans. They all score a solid 5 out of 5 with me.
Ken.F is offline  
post #11708 of 15016 Old 10-22-2014, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
yankeeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: SOUTH FLORIDA
Posts: 2,649
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 261
Hi guys. I continue to battle some health problems this month and its got me down mentally. I am not good handling pain, but dont worry, i went to the doctor and got a diagnosis of my leg problems, and its nothing serious and it will go away in time, just dont know when. Bad timing that it hit this month.

However, was up to watching a movie today - 28 WEEKS LATER. Really love this movie, fast moving horrific zombies make for some very frightening scenes. Also love the fact that so much of it takes place in London, and as you guys know i love when horror movies take place in cities rather than out in the woods/desert/etc. Enjoyed this a lot, gave it a 4.25 rating.

2014 OCTOBER HORROR MOVIES
-------------------------------
01- DEADGIRL - 4 zombies
02- INFERNO OF TORTURE - 3 zombies
03- RESIDENT EVIL APOCALYPSE - 4 zombies
04- NEIGHBOR - 3 zombies
05- HOUSE OF 1000 CORPSES - 5 zombies
06- DEVIL'S REJECTS - 4-1/2 zombies
07- V/H/S - 2-1/2 zombies
08- FRANKENSTEINS ARMY - 3-1/2 zombies
09- SHARKNADO-2 - 5 zombies
10- FRONTIER(S) - 5 zombies
11- CLOVERFIELD - 4-1/4 zombies
12- 28 WEEKS LATER - 4-1/4 zombies

never take life seriously
yankeeman is offline  
post #11709 of 15016 Old 10-22-2014, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
wizzack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Jersey
Posts: 2,631
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloCreed View Post

Daddario is ridiculous. If you want a better horror flick with her in it, check out Bereavement. Or even True Detective when she isn't shy whatsoever about showing the goods.

*runs to order Showtime*
GoCaboNow likes this.


The above post is 100% medically accurate


31 Days of Horror: 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009 2008
wizzack is offline  
post #11710 of 15016 Old 10-22-2014, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
BornSlippyZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Minnesota!
Posts: 2,133
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post
Hi guys. I continue to battle some health problems this month and its got me down mentally. I am not good handling pain, but dont worry, i went to the doctor and got a diagnosis of my leg problems, and its nothing serious and it will go away in time, just dont know when. Bad timing that it hit this month.

However, was up to watching a movie today - 28 WEEKS LATER. Really love this movie, fast moving horrific zombies make for some very frightening scenes. Also love the fact that so much of it takes place in London, and as you guys know i love when horror movies take place in cities rather than out in the woods/desert/etc. Enjoyed this a lot, gave it a 4.25 rating.

2014 OCTOBER HORROR MOVIES
-------------------------------
01- DEADGIRL - 4 zombies
02- INFERNO OF TORTURE - 3 zombies
03- RESIDENT EVIL APOCALYPSE - 4 zombies
04- NEIGHBOR - 3 zombies
05- HOUSE OF 1000 CORPSES - 5 zombies
06- DEVIL'S REJECTS - 4-1/2 zombies
07- V/H/S - 2-1/2 zombies
08- FRANKENSTEINS ARMY - 3-1/2 zombies
09- SHARKNADO-2 - 5 zombies
10- FRONTIER(S) - 5 zombies
11- CLOVERFIELD - 4-1/4 zombies
12- 28 WEEKS LATER - 4-1/4 zombies
Good to hear your legs will be feeling better soon! Also a good beverage can make you feel better! Last week I was stressed out to the core, so my wife made some hot molt wine while watching Tremors! It was a nice relief and it was relaxing all night. Just be sure you aren't up on too many meds!
Bob McLaughlin and yankeeman like this.

October HorrorFest Participant
BornSlippyZ is offline  
post #11711 of 15016 Old 10-22-2014, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member
 
stevew24963's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Boca Raton,Fla.
Posts: 3,477
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked: 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post
Hi guys. I continue to battle some health problems this month and its got me down mentally. I am not good handling pain, but dont worry, i went to the doctor and got a diagnosis of my leg problems, and its nothing serious and it will go away in time, just dont know when. Bad timing that it hit this month.

However, was up to watching a movie today - 28 WEEKS LATER. Really love this movie, fast moving horrific zombies make for some very frightening scenes. Also love the fact that so much of it takes place in London, and as you guys know i love when horror movies take place in cities rather than out in the woods/desert/etc. Enjoyed this a lot, gave it a 4.25 rating.

2014 OCTOBER HORROR MOVIES
-------------------------------
01- DEADGIRL - 4 zombies
02- INFERNO OF TORTURE - 3 zombies
03- RESIDENT EVIL APOCALYPSE - 4 zombies
04- NEIGHBOR - 3 zombies
05- HOUSE OF 1000 CORPSES - 5 zombies
06- DEVIL'S REJECTS - 4-1/2 zombies
07- V/H/S - 2-1/2 zombies
08- FRANKENSTEINS ARMY - 3-1/2 zombies
09- SHARKNADO-2 - 5 zombies
10- FRONTIER(S) - 5 zombies
11- CLOVERFIELD - 4-1/4 zombies
12- 28 WEEKS LATER - 4-1/4 zombies
Good stuff there Yankeeman.I caught House Of 1000 Corpses on IFC last night.Gotta love IFC,you get the uncut movie with commercial breaks for refilling adult beverages,and releasing adult beverages.Hang in there,all will be good.BTW,sorry,glad you have plans for the E Formula Miami race.
yankeeman and ApolloCreed like this.
stevew24963 is online now  
post #11712 of 15016 Old 10-22-2014, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Bob McLaughlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 1,535
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 320
21. 100 Bloody Acres (FTV)
Three Australian youths on the way to a rural concert festival run into organic fertilizer sellers who need more of their secret ingredient: human bodies. This was an enjoyable horror-comedy with a very Australian sense of humor, and some hilariously over-the-top gore. One of the would-be victims has dropped acid in anticipation of the concert, so he has a hard time taking their predicament all that seriously, leading to many funny situations. A few of the gags are hit-or-miss, but overall you will have a good time watching 100 Bloody Acres.

3.5 out of 5 stars.









Bob's October 2014 Horror Movie List
FTV denotes first time viewing
1. From Beyond The Grave (FTV) 3/5
2. Bad Dreams (FTV) 3.5/5
3. Bug (1975) (FTV) 2/5
4. The Sacrament (FTV) 3.5/5
5. The Funhouse (FTV) 4/5
6. The Atomic Submarine (FTV) 4/5
7. 13 Sins (FTV) 4/5
8. Tales from the Darkside: The Movie 3.5/5
9. Stir of Echoes 4.5/5
10. Dead Snow 3.5/5
11. The Hole (FTV) 4/5
12. Shivers (FTV) 3.5/5
13. Resolution (FTV) 4/5
14. Big Ass Spider! (FTV) 3/5
15. Jug Face (FTV) 2.5/5
16. The Hand (FTV) 3/5
17. Cockneys Vs. Zombies (FTV) 4/5
18. First Man Into Space (FTV) 3/5
19. Village of the Damned (1960) 4/5
20. The Birds 5/5
21. 100 Bloody Acres 3.5/5 (FTV)
Waboman likes this.

"I'LL SHOW YOU THE LIFE OF THE MIND!!!" - Barton Fink
Bob McLaughlin is offline  
post #11713 of 15016 Old 10-22-2014, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
stevew24963's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Boca Raton,Fla.
Posts: 3,477
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked: 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob McLaughlin View Post
21. 100 Bloody Acres (FTV)
Three Australian youths on the way to a rural concert festival run into organic fertilizer sellers who need more of their secret ingredient: human bodies. This was an enjoyable horror-comedy with a very Australian sense of humor, and some hilariously over-the-top gore. One of the would-be victims has dropped acid in anticipation of the concert, so he has a hard time taking their predicament all that seriously, leading to many funny situations. A few of the gags are hit-or-miss, but overall you will have a good time watching 100 Bloody Acres.

3.5 out of 5 stars.









Bob's October 2014 Horror Movie List
FTV denotes first time viewing
1. From Beyond The Grave (FTV) 3/5
2. Bad Dreams (FTV) 3.5/5
3. Bug (1975) (FTV) 2/5
4. The Sacrament (FTV) 3.5/5
5. The Funhouse (FTV) 4/5
6. The Atomic Submarine (FTV) 4/5
7. 13 Sins (FTV) 4/5
8. Tales from the Darkside: The Movie 3.5/5
9. Stir of Echoes 4.5/5
10. Dead Snow 3.5/5
11. The Hole (FTV) 4/5
12. Shivers (FTV) 3.5/5
13. Resolution (FTV) 4/5
14. Big Ass Spider! (FTV) 3/5
15. Jug Face (FTV) 2.5/5
16. The Hand (FTV) 3/5
17. Cockneys Vs. Zombies (FTV) 4/5
18. First Man Into Space (FTV) 3/5
19. Village of the Damned (1960) 4/5
20. The Birds 5/5
21. 100 Bloody Acres 3.5/5 (FTV)
Watched this last year and found it very entertaining.Well worth a watch.
Bob McLaughlin likes this.
stevew24963 is online now  
post #11714 of 15016 Old 10-22-2014, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
CoreyM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,362
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Does the theatrical release of Grindhouse count as 1 or 2?
wizzack likes this.

XBox: King Nuthin
CoreyM is offline  
post #11715 of 15016 Old 10-22-2014, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tenthplanet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Posts: 1,855
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyM View Post
Does the theatrical release of Grindhouse count as 1 or 2?
I would say one because many of our tribe, don't consider Death Proof to be a horror movie.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)

Last edited by tenthplanet; 10-22-2014 at 08:45 PM. Reason: mis spelling
tenthplanet is offline  
post #11716 of 15016 Old 10-22-2014, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Waboman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Terraforming Planet Wabo
Posts: 9,356
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1950 Post(s)
Liked: 3621
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloCreed View Post
Yeah, was looking at Horns the other day. Will probably check it out soon. The Woman in Black, to me, was good with regard to atmosphere and such but the friggin jump scares really bugged me.


Daddario is ridiculous. If you want a better horror flick with her in it, check out Bereavement. Or even True Detective when she isn't shy whatsoever about showing the goods.
Had to Google Daddario. She's the chick from Percy Jackson! Then of course I had to Google her in True Detective. Oh my, I need about 15 minutes seconds of alone time now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tydq View Post
25. From Beyond (1986)(FTV) - 4.0

Hmmmm, I’m starting to notice a lot of phallic symbolism in the movies I’ve been watching this month. In this case, it was in the form of an overdeveloped, prehensile Pineal gland protruding from the main character’s forehead. The symbolism was initially lost on me, until a female character bit it off and I involuntarily crossed my legs. This movie is another team up of Jeffrey Combs and Stuart Gordon adapting subject matter from an H.P. Lovecraft story. I thought it was great. It had a creeping sense of dread, some good build up, some gross-out gore effects. It didn’t have the frenetic pacing of Re-Animator, but it was still a very enjoyable movie. Oh man, I just looked up Mr. Gordon’s filmography to verify what other Lovecraftian movies of his I had to look forward to, and saw that he directed Robot Jox! I’m going to have to keep an eye out for some of his other movies (possibly excluding Space Truckers and The Wonderful Ice Cream Suit).

26. Dead Snow (2009)(FTV) - 4.0

I’ve been getting pretty abstract in my viewing recently, so I decided to switch over to straightforward zombies. This movie adds a lot to the genre, I think
Spoiler!
. We’re past the point where we need another zombie movie that attempts to show the beginning of the apocalypse, or provide some explanation of why there are zombies. We’re way past the point of having that one dumbass character who doesn’t believe zombies exist (lookin’ at you, Survival of the Dead). This movie took people, put them in a situation that involved zombies, and then watched how they tried to work themselves out of it. Add in some humor, excellent effects and some novel shots like
Spoiler!
. It all adds up to a good time.
I saw From Beyond in the theater. Haven't seen it since. Will need to revisit it.

Added Dead Snow to my queue.

__________________________________________________

Take life with a grain of salt... a slice of lime, and a shot of tequila
Waboman is online now  
post #11717 of 15016 Old 10-22-2014, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Waboman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Terraforming Planet Wabo
Posts: 9,356
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1950 Post(s)
Liked: 3621
Watched Deep Rising on DVD. The BD transfer received poor marks so I never upgraded. I have a soft spot for this movie. I really like it and always look forward to watching it. It has a great cast with the right amount of humor and cheese. I do loves me some cheese. Such a fun film.
GoCaboNow and BornSlippyZ like this.

__________________________________________________

Take life with a grain of salt... a slice of lime, and a shot of tequila
Waboman is online now  
post #11718 of 15016 Old 10-22-2014, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tenthplanet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Posts: 1,855
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Anybody put in a pre-order for the director's cut of Nightbreed? I see the blu-ray is due out October 28th.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
tenthplanet is offline  
post #11719 of 15016 Old 10-23-2014, 03:35 AM
AVS Special Member
 
BornSlippyZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Minnesota!
Posts: 2,133
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
Watched Deep Rising on DVD. The BD transfer received poor marks so I never upgraded. I have a soft spot for this movie. I really like it and always look forward to watching it. It has a great cast with the right amount of humor and cheese. I do loves me some cheese. Such a fun film.
I also like this movie and I think I bought it for $5 . It also comes with The Puppet Masters on the same BD.

Edit, it is $5.17 right now on Amazon. The sound is decent on Deep Rising and Puppet Masters is only Stereo.
Waboman likes this.

October HorrorFest Participant

Last edited by BornSlippyZ; 10-23-2014 at 03:38 AM.
BornSlippyZ is offline  
post #11720 of 15016 Old 10-23-2014, 03:46 AM
Newbie
 
Azarath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Hell
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post
You can rent it on iTunes, Netflix, Amazon, name it... Unless you meant one of those "free streaming" crap sites.
I meant anything, really. And the Netflix account I use isn't mine, so renting DVDs doesn't work. I don't have any of the others and I was hoping to not have to pay, but I suppose if I want to see it that bad, then I will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
It's showing on Starz Saturday morning at 12:50 AM (Eastern).
I don't have the movie channels unfortunately. Someone else said something about renting it from the library, so I think I'll look into that.

Girls who say "a lot of guys are after me" should keep in mind that low prices always attract many customers.
Azarath is offline  
post #11721 of 15016 Old 10-23-2014, 03:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
BornSlippyZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Minnesota!
Posts: 2,133
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked: 441
I did a brunette femme fatale double feature last night!


#26 , American Mary, Netflix streaming HD, FTV I have been wanting to see this movie for a while and last night was the opportunity! What a gem this movie is and I love the juxtaposition between Mary/ her friends and the 'normal' dr.s/surgeons that are supposed to be furthering her education. Well done acting and story telling, plus this movie has enough blood to satisfy most horror fans out there! 4.5 Body Modded Zombies!!!


#27 , House on Haunted Hill, AMC. This movie just started after I got done watching American Mary. This is a remake of the 50's version that isn't that good as far as story telling, but it has Famke and excellent set pieces! This film is about an old haunted asylum and unsuspecting guests trying to stay alive so they can collect $1M dollars! Guilty pleasure movie all the way! 3.75 Stuttered action Zombies!
wizzack likes this.

October HorrorFest Participant

Last edited by BornSlippyZ; 10-23-2014 at 04:13 AM.
BornSlippyZ is offline  
post #11722 of 15016 Old 10-23-2014, 03:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
yankeeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: SOUTH FLORIDA
Posts: 2,649
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew24963 View Post
Good stuff there Yankeeman.I caught House Of 1000 Corpses on IFC last night.Gotta love IFC,you get the uncut movie with commercial breaks for refilling adult beverages,and releasing adult beverages.Hang in there,all will be good.BTW,sorry,glad you have plans for the E Formula Miami race.
Total bummer that the Formula E race has been scheduled for the same time as all the car stuff on Amelia Island. I committed to a good friend up there a long time ago to come up and spend the whole time there and do as much as we can, they really should have set up the Miami race on a different weekend.

As to House of 1000 Corpses, really top notch, i watch it every year.

never take life seriously
yankeeman is offline  
post #11723 of 15016 Old 10-23-2014, 04:38 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Ken.F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: West Rockhill, PA
Posts: 2,902
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 710 Post(s)
Liked: 657
I Am Legend (2007) - Like Death Proof this one isn't listed as horror film (but should be). I watched it anyway. And I liked it.

I already watched The Omega Man and I Am Omega this month so I had to include this one. I haven't seen The Last Man on Earth yet but it's public domain and available on archive.org and YouTube.
Ken.F is offline  
post #11724 of 15016 Old 10-23-2014, 04:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
darthrsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Post America America
Posts: 10,000
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked: 1281
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
I would say one because many of our tribe, don't consider Death Proof to be a horror movie.
As leader of the tribe I'll allow Death Proof.
darthrsg is offline  
post #11725 of 15016 Old 10-23-2014, 04:54 AM
Newbie
 
Azarath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Hell
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
I Am Legend (2007) - Like Death Proof this one isn't listed as horror film (but should be). I watched it anyway. And I liked it.
I liked Death Proof, too, but can it really be considered a horror movie? I mean, it's not exactly scary. More so badass. When I think horror, I think terror. Like, almost hiding under the blankets type thing. The stuff of nightmares.

Girls who say "a lot of guys are after me" should keep in mind that low prices always attract many customers.
Azarath is offline  
post #11726 of 15016 Old 10-23-2014, 05:07 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Ken.F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: West Rockhill, PA
Posts: 2,902
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 710 Post(s)
Liked: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azarath View Post
I liked Death Proof, too, but can it really be considered a horror movie? I mean, it's not exactly scary. More so badass. When I think horror, I think terror. Like, almost hiding under the blankets type thing. The stuff of nightmares.
You have to consider the context. It's a throwback of the late 60's and early '70s Grindhouse films. If Death Proof was released in 1972 it would have been considered horror by everyone without question.
GoCaboNow likes this.
Ken.F is offline  
post #11727 of 15016 Old 10-23-2014, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member
 
CoreyM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,362
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 90
21. Scream 4 (Bluray, FTV)
I have had this on the shelf for who knows how long. I expected I would hate it. The beginning was utterly stupid. Much to my surprise once it got rolling I liked it a great deal more than the other sequels. Pretty much everything I figured would happen in this film didn't and I didn't even guess the killers identity until it was too late.
wizzack, BornSlippyZ and Ken.F like this.

XBox: King Nuthin
CoreyM is offline  
post #11728 of 15016 Old 10-23-2014, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Ken.F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: West Rockhill, PA
Posts: 2,902
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 710 Post(s)
Liked: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyM View Post
21. Scream 4 (Bluray, FTV)
I have had this on the shelf for who knows how long. I expected I would hate it. The beginning was utterly stupid. Much to my surprise once it got rolling I liked it a great deal more than the other sequels. Pretty much everything I figured would happen in this film didn't and I didn't even guess the killers identity until it was too late.
I bought the Scream 5-film set on Blu ray but haven't gotten around to watching them yet. Honestly I can't remember which of the Scream movies I have or haven't already seen. I must do a marathon!
Ken.F is offline  
post #11729 of 15016 Old 10-23-2014, 06:20 AM
Member
 
tydq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
Combs is in Would You Rather and you'll probably dig it. Dead Snow is huge shot in the arm for the Zombie genre. If you need more pineal stimulation check out Into The Void and Banshee Chapter. Just don't come crying back here if your ego dies.
Awesome, thanks! I'll add those to the list. Enter the Void looks absolutely bonkers.

__________________________________________________ ___________________


Horrorfest 2013 (in 2014)

Horrorfest 2014
tydq is offline  
post #11730 of 15016 Old 10-23-2014, 06:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
darthrsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Post America America
Posts: 10,000
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked: 1281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azarath View Post
I liked Death Proof, too, but can it really be considered a horror movie? I mean, it's not exactly scary. More so badass. When I think horror, I think terror. Like, almost hiding under the blankets type thing. The stuff of nightmares.
Then Scream, Halloween, or any slasher/killer isn't horror. I bet you 4 space bucks if you were in that car you'd be needing new pants and begging to be home under a blanket. Again as leader of the tribe I say it counts.
ApolloCreed likes this.

"When crazy is standard, sane needs a name tag."
darthrsg is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off