October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....) - Page 391 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1616Likes

post #11701 of 12125 Old 10-22-2014, 01:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 87
25. From Beyond (1986)(FTV) - 4.0

Hmmmm, I’m starting to notice a lot of phallic symbolism in the movies I’ve been watching this month. In this case, it was in the form of an overdeveloped, prehensile Pineal gland protruding from the main character’s forehead. The symbolism was initially lost on me, until a female character bit it off and I involuntarily crossed my legs. This movie is another team up of Jeffrey Combs and Stuart Gordon adapting subject matter from an H.P. Lovecraft story. I thought it was great. It had a creeping sense of dread, some good build up, some gross-out gore effects. It didn’t have the frenetic pacing of Re-Animator, but it was still a very enjoyable movie. Oh man, I just looked up Mr. Gordon’s filmography to verify what other Lovecraftian movies of his I had to look forward to, and saw that he directed Robot Jox! I’m going to have to keep an eye out for some of his other movies (possibly excluding Space Truckers and The Wonderful Ice Cream Suit).

26. Dead Snow (2009)(FTV) - 4.0

I’ve been getting pretty abstract in my viewing recently, so I decided to switch over to straightforward zombies. This movie adds a lot to the genre, I think
Spoiler!
. We’re past the point where we need another zombie movie that attempts to show the beginning of the apocalypse, or provide some explanation of why there are zombies. We’re way past the point of having that one dumbass character who doesn’t believe zombies exist (lookin’ at you, Survival of the Dead). This movie took people, put them in a situation that involved zombies, and then watched how they tried to work themselves out of it. Add in some humor, excellent effects and some novel shots like
Spoiler!
. It all adds up to a good time.

__________________________________________________ ___________________

Horrorfest 2013 (in 2014)

Horrorfest 2014
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11702 of 12125 Old 10-22-2014, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 968
Quote:
Originally Posted by tydq View Post

Hmmmm, I’m starting to notice a lot of phallic symbolism in the movies I’ve been watching this month. In this case, it was in the form of an overdeveloped, prehensile Pineal gland protruding from the main character’s forehead. The symbolism was initially lost on me, until a female character bit it off and I involuntarily crossed my legs. This movie is another team up of Jeffrey Combs and Stuart Gordon adapting subject matter from an H.P. Lovecraft story. I thought it was great. It had a creeping sense of dread, some good build up, some gross-out gore effects. It didn’t have the frenetic pacing of Re-Animator, but it was still a very enjoyable movie. Oh man, I just looked up Mr. Gordon’s filmography to verify what other Lovecraftian movies of his I had to look forward to, and saw that he directed Robot Jox! I’m going to have to keep an eye out for some of his other movies (possibly excluding Space Truckers and The Wonderful Ice Cream Suit).

I’ve been getting pretty abstract in my viewing recently, so I decided to switch over to straightforward zombies. This movie adds a lot to the genre, I think
Spoiler!
. We’re past the point where we need another zombie movie that attempts to show the beginning of the apocalypse, or provide some explanation of why there are zombies. We’re way past the point of having that one dumbass character who doesn’t believe zombies exist (lookin’ at you, Survival of the Dead). This movie took people, put them in a situation that involved zombies, and then watched how they tried to work themselves out of it. Add in some humor, excellent effects and some novel shots like
Spoiler!
Combs is in Would You Rather and you'll probably dig it. Dead Snow is huge shot in the arm for the Zombie genre. If you need more pineal stimulation check out Into The Void and Banshee Chapter. Just don't come crying back here if your ego dies.
post #11703 of 12125 Old 10-22-2014, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 334
#23 The Prince of Darkness, HD. I had to throw in one of my favorite classics for Halloween! This movie is great and I am glad a lot of people are liking this film more and more! College (theoretical physics) students are called in to investigate a container in an abandoned church. Other than that the cast is great and includes guys from Big Trouble in Little China and Alice Cooper! 4.5 Green Ooze Zombies!

#24 Extraterrestrial, FTV This film is pretty good for this newer Alien Abduction genre! Starts out with young adults taking a vacation in a cabin, in the woods. Well there are also 'other' beings on the prey for these people alone in a cabin. Darth said it best in his review but this little movie has it all conspiracy, love, scared young adults and pesky grey aliens! 4 Grey Alien Zombies!

#25, The Den, Netflix streaming HD FTV. I was seeing this movie pop up in this thread so I gave it a whirl! It was pretty good for a slasher flick for this technological generation! Great pacing with the action and for a low budget film it flowed well! It is a somewhat shaky cam movie but it does touch on a lot of situations people today get in, although probably not this kind of situation! 3.5 Web Browsing Zombies!

Some great flicks you guys are watching! Keep up the good work!

Kenobi, hopefully things are going ok out west. I remember you mentioned you were commuting from the Bay Area to Sacto and man I did that drive for a few months and it nearly wiped me out!
Waboman, wizzack and GoCaboNow like this.

October HorrorFest Participant
post #11704 of 12125 Old 10-22-2014, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
Combs is in Would You Rather and you'll probably dig it. Dead Snow is huge shot in the arm for the Zombie genre. If you need more pineal stimulation check out Into The Void and Banshee Chapter. Just don't come crying back here if your ego dies.
Into the Void or Enter the Void?

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #11705 of 12125 Old 10-22-2014, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 88
20. Stitches (NF Stream, FTV)
I was a little tired and maybe that effects my judgement, but meh. There were a few neat gags, more penis dismemberment following from Teeth and that's about it. The Clown was like a lame Freddy for me with a ton of not funny one-liners. I guess I just expected more from a killer clown. Not sure why?

XBox: King Nuthin
post #11706 of 12125 Old 10-22-2014, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post
Into the Void or Enter the Void?
Enter. Enter the Void.
post #11707 of 12125 Old 10-22-2014, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Quarantine (2008) - English remake of the Spanish film REC.
I felt it was easier to watch the English language remake of Let the Right One In and the same applies here. REC is a fantastic horror film and Manuela Velasco is a sweetheart, but I found Quarantine easier to follow. Maybe it's because I already knew the story of both of these foreign language films before seeing the English remake, I don't know. What I do know is REC/Quarantine as well as Let the Right One In/Let Me In should be seen by all horror film fans. They all score a solid 5 out of 5 with me.
post #11708 of 12125 Old 10-22-2014, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Hi guys. I continue to battle some health problems this month and its got me down mentally. I am not good handling pain, but dont worry, i went to the doctor and got a diagnosis of my leg problems, and its nothing serious and it will go away in time, just dont know when. Bad timing that it hit this month.

However, was up to watching a movie today - 28 WEEKS LATER. Really love this movie, fast moving horrific zombies make for some very frightening scenes. Also love the fact that so much of it takes place in London, and as you guys know i love when horror movies take place in cities rather than out in the woods/desert/etc. Enjoyed this a lot, gave it a 4.25 rating.

2014 OCTOBER HORROR MOVIES
-------------------------------
01- DEADGIRL - 4 zombies
02- INFERNO OF TORTURE - 3 zombies
03- RESIDENT EVIL APOCALYPSE - 4 zombies
04- NEIGHBOR - 3 zombies
05- HOUSE OF 1000 CORPSES - 5 zombies
06- DEVIL'S REJECTS - 4-1/2 zombies
07- V/H/S - 2-1/2 zombies
08- FRANKENSTEINS ARMY - 3-1/2 zombies
09- SHARKNADO-2 - 5 zombies
10- FRONTIER(S) - 5 zombies
11- CLOVERFIELD - 4-1/4 zombies
12- 28 WEEKS LATER - 4-1/4 zombies

never take life seriously
post #11709 of 12125 Old 10-22-2014, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloCreed View Post

Daddario is ridiculous. If you want a better horror flick with her in it, check out Bereavement. Or even True Detective when she isn't shy whatsoever about showing the goods.

*runs to order Showtime*
GoCaboNow likes this.

The above post is 100% medically accurate

31 Days of Horror: 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009 2008
post #11710 of 12125 Old 10-22-2014, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post
Hi guys. I continue to battle some health problems this month and its got me down mentally. I am not good handling pain, but dont worry, i went to the doctor and got a diagnosis of my leg problems, and its nothing serious and it will go away in time, just dont know when. Bad timing that it hit this month.

However, was up to watching a movie today - 28 WEEKS LATER. Really love this movie, fast moving horrific zombies make for some very frightening scenes. Also love the fact that so much of it takes place in London, and as you guys know i love when horror movies take place in cities rather than out in the woods/desert/etc. Enjoyed this a lot, gave it a 4.25 rating.

01- DEADGIRL - 4 zombies
04- NEIGHBOR - 3 zombies
Good to hear your legs will be feeling better soon! Also a good beverage can make you feel better! Last week I was stressed out to the core, so my wife made some hot molt wine while watching Tremors! It was a nice relief and it was relaxing all night. Just be sure you aren't up on too many meds!
Bob McLaughlin and yankeeman like this.

post #11711 of 12125 Old 10-22-2014, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post

01- DEADGIRL - 4 zombies
04- NEIGHBOR - 3 zombies
Good stuff there Yankeeman.I caught House Of 1000 Corpses on IFC last night.Gotta love IFC,you get the uncut movie with commercial breaks for refilling adult beverages,and releasing adult beverages.Hang in there,all will be good.BTW,sorry,glad you have plans for the E Formula Miami race.
yankeeman and ApolloCreed like this.
post #11712 of 12125 Old 10-22-2014, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 298
21. 100 Bloody Acres (FTV)
Three Australian youths on the way to a rural concert festival run into organic fertilizer sellers who need more of their secret ingredient: human bodies. This was an enjoyable horror-comedy with a very Australian sense of humor, and some hilariously over-the-top gore. One of the would-be victims has dropped acid in anticipation of the concert, so he has a hard time taking their predicament all that seriously, leading to many funny situations. A few of the gags are hit-or-miss, but overall you will have a good time watching 100 Bloody Acres.

3.5 out of 5 stars.

Bob's October 2014 Horror Movie List
FTV denotes first time viewing
1. From Beyond The Grave (FTV) 3/5
2. Bad Dreams (FTV) 3.5/5
3. Bug (1975) (FTV) 2/5
4. The Sacrament (FTV) 3.5/5
5. The Funhouse (FTV) 4/5
6. The Atomic Submarine (FTV) 4/5
7. 13 Sins (FTV) 4/5
8. Tales from the Darkside: The Movie 3.5/5
9. Stir of Echoes 4.5/5
10. Dead Snow 3.5/5
11. The Hole (FTV) 4/5
12. Shivers (FTV) 3.5/5
13. Resolution (FTV) 4/5
14. Big Ass Spider! (FTV) 3/5
15. Jug Face (FTV) 2.5/5
16. The Hand (FTV) 3/5
17. Cockneys Vs. Zombies (FTV) 4/5
18. First Man Into Space (FTV) 3/5
19. Village of the Damned (1960) 4/5
20. The Birds 5/5
21. 100 Bloody Acres 3.5/5 (FTV)
Waboman likes this.

"I'LL SHOW YOU THE LIFE OF THE MIND!!!" - Barton Fink
post #11713 of 12125 Old 10-22-2014, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob McLaughlin View Post
21. 100 Bloody Acres (FTV)
Three Australian youths on the way to a rural concert festival run into organic fertilizer sellers who need more of their secret ingredient: human bodies. This was an enjoyable horror-comedy with a very Australian sense of humor, and some hilariously over-the-top gore. One of the would-be victims has dropped acid in anticipation of the concert, so he has a hard time taking their predicament all that seriously, leading to many funny situations. A few of the gags are hit-or-miss, but overall you will have a good time watching 100 Bloody Acres.

3.5 out of 5 stars.

Bob's October 2014 Horror Movie List
FTV denotes first time viewing
1. From Beyond The Grave (FTV) 3/5
2. Bad Dreams (FTV) 3.5/5
3. Bug (1975) (FTV) 2/5
4. The Sacrament (FTV) 3.5/5
5. The Funhouse (FTV) 4/5
6. The Atomic Submarine (FTV) 4/5
7. 13 Sins (FTV) 4/5
8. Tales from the Darkside: The Movie 3.5/5
9. Stir of Echoes 4.5/5
10. Dead Snow 3.5/5
11. The Hole (FTV) 4/5
12. Shivers (FTV) 3.5/5
13. Resolution (FTV) 4/5
14. Big Ass Spider! (FTV) 3/5
15. Jug Face (FTV) 2.5/5
16. The Hand (FTV) 3/5
17. Cockneys Vs. Zombies (FTV) 4/5
18. First Man Into Space (FTV) 3/5
19. Village of the Damned (1960) 4/5
20. The Birds 5/5
21. 100 Bloody Acres 3.5/5 (FTV)
Watched this last year and found it very entertaining.Well worth a watch.
Bob McLaughlin likes this.
post #11714 of 12125 Old 10-22-2014, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Does the theatrical release of Grindhouse count as 1 or 2?
wizzack likes this.

post #11715 of 12125 Old 10-22-2014, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyM View Post
Does the theatrical release of Grindhouse count as 1 or 2?
I would say one because many of our tribe, don't consider Death Proof to be a horror movie.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)

Last edited by tenthplanet; 10-22-2014 at 09:45 PM. Reason: mis spelling
post #11716 of 12125 Old 10-22-2014, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 773
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloCreed View Post
Yeah, was looking at Horns the other day. Will probably check it out soon. The Woman in Black, to me, was good with regard to atmosphere and such but the friggin jump scares really bugged me.

Daddario is ridiculous. If you want a better horror flick with her in it, check out Bereavement. Or even True Detective when she isn't shy whatsoever about showing the goods.
Had to Google Daddario. She's the chick from Percy Jackson! Then of course I had to Google her in True Detective. Oh my, I need about 15 minutes seconds of alone time now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tydq View Post

Spoiler!
Spoiler!
I saw From Beyond in the theater. Haven't seen it since. Will need to revisit it.

Added Dead Snow to my queue.

When life gives you limes, make margaritas
post #11717 of 12125 Old 10-22-2014, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 773
Watched Deep Rising on DVD. The BD transfer received poor marks so I never upgraded. I have a soft spot for this movie. I really like it and always look forward to watching it. It has a great cast with the right amount of humor and cheese. I do loves me some cheese. Such a fun film.
GoCaboNow and BornSlippyZ like this.

When life gives you limes, make margaritas
post #11718 of 12125 Old 10-22-2014, 10:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Anybody put in a pre-order for the director's cut of Nightbreed? I see the blu-ray is due out October 28th.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #11719 of 12125 Old 10-23-2014, 04:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
Watched Deep Rising on DVD. The BD transfer received poor marks so I never upgraded. I have a soft spot for this movie. I really like it and always look forward to watching it. It has a great cast with the right amount of humor and cheese. I do loves me some cheese. Such a fun film.
I also like this movie and I think I bought it for $5 . It also comes with The Puppet Masters on the same BD.

Edit, it is $5.17 right now on Amazon. The sound is decent on Deep Rising and Puppet Masters is only Stereo.
Waboman likes this.

Last edited by BornSlippyZ; 10-23-2014 at 04:38 AM.
post #11720 of 12125 Old 10-23-2014, 04:46 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post
You can rent it on iTunes, Netflix, Amazon, name it... Unless you meant one of those "free streaming" crap sites.
I meant anything, really. And the Netflix account I use isn't mine, so renting DVDs doesn't work. I don't have any of the others and I was hoping to not have to pay, but I suppose if I want to see it that bad, then I will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
It's showing on Starz Saturday morning at 12:50 AM (Eastern).
I don't have the movie channels unfortunately. Someone else said something about renting it from the library, so I think I'll look into that.

Girls who say "a lot of guys are after me" should keep in mind that low prices always attract many customers.
post #11721 of 12125 Old 10-23-2014, 04:50 AM
AVS Special Member

I did a brunette femme fatale double feature last night!

#26 , American Mary, Netflix streaming HD, FTV I have been wanting to see this movie for a while and last night was the opportunity! What a gem this movie is and I love the juxtaposition between Mary/ her friends and the 'normal' dr.s/surgeons that are supposed to be furthering her education. Well done acting and story telling, plus this movie has enough blood to satisfy most horror fans out there! 4.5 Body Modded Zombies!!!

#27 , House on Haunted Hill, AMC. This movie just started after I got done watching American Mary. This is a remake of the 50's version that isn't that good as far as story telling, but it has Famke and excellent set pieces! This film is about an old haunted asylum and unsuspecting guests trying to stay alive so they can collect $1M dollars! Guilty pleasure movie all the way! 3.75 Stuttered action Zombies!
wizzack likes this.

Last edited by BornSlippyZ; 10-23-2014 at 05:13 AM.
post #11722 of 12125 Old 10-23-2014, 04:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew24963 View Post
Good stuff there Yankeeman.I caught House Of 1000 Corpses on IFC last night.Gotta love IFC,you get the uncut movie with commercial breaks for refilling adult beverages,and releasing adult beverages.Hang in there,all will be good.BTW,sorry,glad you have plans for the E Formula Miami race.
Total bummer that the Formula E race has been scheduled for the same time as all the car stuff on Amelia Island. I committed to a good friend up there a long time ago to come up and spend the whole time there and do as much as we can, they really should have set up the Miami race on a different weekend.

As to House of 1000 Corpses, really top notch, i watch it every year.

never take life seriously
post #11723 of 12125 Old 10-23-2014, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member

I Am Legend (2007) - Like Death Proof this one isn't listed as horror film (but should be). I watched it anyway. And I liked it.

I already watched The Omega Man and I Am Omega this month so I had to include this one. I haven't seen The Last Man on Earth yet but it's public domain and available on archive.org and YouTube.
post #11724 of 12125 Old 10-23-2014, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
I would say one because many of our tribe, don't consider Death Proof to be a horror movie.
As leader of the tribe I'll allow Death Proof.
post #11725 of 12125 Old 10-23-2014, 05:54 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
I Am Legend (2007) - Like Death Proof this one isn't listed as horror film (but should be). I watched it anyway. And I liked it.
I liked Death Proof, too, but can it really be considered a horror movie? I mean, it's not exactly scary. More so badass. When I think horror, I think terror. Like, almost hiding under the blankets type thing. The stuff of nightmares.

Girls who say "a lot of guys are after me" should keep in mind that low prices always attract many customers.
post #11726 of 12125 Old 10-23-2014, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azarath View Post
I liked Death Proof, too, but can it really be considered a horror movie? I mean, it's not exactly scary. More so badass. When I think horror, I think terror. Like, almost hiding under the blankets type thing. The stuff of nightmares.
You have to consider the context. It's a throwback of the late 60's and early '70s Grindhouse films. If Death Proof was released in 1972 it would have been considered horror by everyone without question.
GoCaboNow likes this.
post #11727 of 12125 Old 10-23-2014, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

21. Scream 4 (Bluray, FTV)
I have had this on the shelf for who knows how long. I expected I would hate it. The beginning was utterly stupid. Much to my surprise once it got rolling I liked it a great deal more than the other sequels. Pretty much everything I figured would happen in this film didn't and I didn't even guess the killers identity until it was too late.
wizzack, BornSlippyZ and Ken.F like this.

post #11728 of 12125 Old 10-23-2014, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyM View Post
21. Scream 4 (Bluray, FTV)
I have had this on the shelf for who knows how long. I expected I would hate it. The beginning was utterly stupid. Much to my surprise once it got rolling I liked it a great deal more than the other sequels. Pretty much everything I figured would happen in this film didn't and I didn't even guess the killers identity until it was too late.
I bought the Scream 5-film set on Blu ray but haven't gotten around to watching them yet. Honestly I can't remember which of the Scream movies I have or haven't already seen. I must do a marathon!
post #11729 of 12125 Old 10-23-2014, 07:20 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
Awesome, thanks! I'll add those to the list. Enter the Void looks absolutely bonkers.

__________________________________________________ ___________________

Horrorfest 2013 (in 2014)

Horrorfest 2014
post #11730 of 12125 Old 10-23-2014, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azarath View Post
Then Scream, Halloween, or any slasher/killer isn't horror. I bet you 4 space bucks if you were in that car you'd be needing new pants and begging to be home under a blanket. Again as leader of the tribe I say it counts.
ApolloCreed likes this.
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion