October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....) - Page 392 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1145Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #11731 of 11752 Old Today, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member
 
darthrsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Post America America
Posts: 8,799
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 895
49. Them. FTV. Wacky kids and their hijinks set the stage for this French home invasion flick. For me it was just OK but the sound design stood out. There are far better entries in the category but it may something the wives like.
darthrsg is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #11732 of 11752 Old Today, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member
 
d_m1010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northern Exposure Canada
Posts: 1,906
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 155
I just watched The Woman in Black, The Conjuring, and A Haunting in Conneticut. I thought they were all decent.
wizzack and BornSlippyZ like this.
d_m1010 is offline  
post #11733 of 11752 Old Today, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member
 
darthrsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Post America America
Posts: 8,799
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_m1010 View Post
I just watched The Woman in Black, The Conjuring, and A Haunting in Conneticut. I thought they were all decent.
Yep. Conjuring being my fave of the three but you can't top WIB for atmosphere.
ApolloCreed likes this.
darthrsg is online now  
post #11734 of 11752 Old Today, 06:50 AM
Member
 
tydq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 67
27. Frankenstein's Army (2013)(FTV) - 2.5

Mixed reviews + more recent release date usually causes me to stay away. However, this one looked like something I would be into, so I went for it. The movie was fine, but mostly disappointing. I’m not even sure what caused it to fizzle. All the elements were there, it just didn’t have any impact. I think I was hoping to keep the energy from Dead Snow going.

__________________________________________________ ___________________


Horrorfest 2013 (in 2014)
tydq is online now  
post #11735 of 11752 Old Today, 07:14 AM
Advanced Member
 
ApolloCreed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: MN
Posts: 906
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
Then Scream, Halloween, or any slasher/killer isn't horror. I bet you 4 space bucks if you were in that car you'd be needing new pants and begging to be home under a blanket. Again as leader of the tribe I say it counts.

I bet you $5 if you were in Maverick's F-14 in Top Gun, you would also need a change of pants . As the Commander of the thread, I feel its my obligation to overrule the leader in this matter. Death Proof......not horror.
wizzack likes this.

Last edited by ApolloCreed; Today at 07:20 AM.
ApolloCreed is online now  
post #11736 of 11752 Old Today, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member
 
darthrsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Post America America
Posts: 8,799
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by tydq View Post
27. Frankenstein's Army (2013)(FTV) - 2.5

Mixed reviews + more recent release date usually causes me to stay away. However, this one looked like something I would be into, so I went for it. The movie was fine, but mostly disappointing. I’m not even sure what caused it to fizzle. All the elements were there, it just didn’t have any impact. I think I was hoping to keep the energy from Dead Snow going.
Troll Hunter and Rare Exports will do that.
darthrsg is online now  
post #11737 of 11752 Old Today, 07:19 AM
Advanced Member
 
ApolloCreed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: MN
Posts: 906
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post
I did a brunette femme fatale double feature last night!


#26 , American Mary, Netflix streaming HD, FTV I have been wanting to see this movie for a while and last night was the opportunity! What a gem this movie is and I love the juxtaposition between Mary/ her friends and the 'normal' dr.s/surgeons that are supposed to be furthering her education. Well done acting and story telling, plus this movie has enough blood to satisfy most horror fans out there! 4.5 Body Modded Zombies!!!


#27 , House on Haunted Hill, AMC. This movie just started after I got done watching American Mary. This is a remake of the 50's version that isn't that good as far as story telling, but it has Famke and excellent set pieces! This film is about an old haunted asylum and unsuspecting guests trying to stay alive so they can collect $1M dollars! Guilty pleasure movie all the way! 3.75 Stuttered action Zombies!

Agreed. Both movies are solid........With regard to House on Haunted Hill, Vincent Price and Carol Ohmart are awesome in the original, but the remake is a really fun movie that is better than most people give it credit for.
BornSlippyZ likes this.
ApolloCreed is online now  
post #11738 of 11752 Old Today, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member
 
darthrsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Post America America
Posts: 8,799
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloCreed View Post
I bet you $5 if you were in Maverick's F-14 in Top Gun, you would also need a change of pants . As the Commander of the thread, I'm feel its my obligation to overrule the leader in this matter. Death Proof......not horror.
Is so. Bad horror? Probably, but horror. I mean The Car is horror right? My Great and Glorious Tribe accepts action mystery thrillers like Seven as horror. We even allow Sharknado. Death Proof isn't a Lifetime movie like The Strangers is.
wizzack likes this.
darthrsg is online now  
post #11739 of 11752 Old Today, 07:54 AM
Senior Member
 
The Mice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 225
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Wow, great to see a lot of new posts since yesterday! It's been a great year for horror movies!

I saw Pet Sematary last night. I'd seen bits and pieces of it in the past but never the complete movie. It does take a while to get going for real, but when it does, it offers some disturbing, shocking and gruesome scenes and dishes up all the quirkiness that you might expect from a Stephen King movie. Overall, my impression was a little more than average, I would give it 3.25 out of 5.

Today is a wash for me as far as watching another movie goes, but I will try to get something in on both Friday and Saturday nights!
ApolloCreed and BornSlippyZ like this.
The Mice is offline  
post #11740 of 11752 Old Today, 08:05 AM
Advanced Member
 
ApolloCreed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: MN
Posts: 906
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 126
21. All Cheerleaders Die (2013)- {2.25/5} Netflix Streaming (FTV)Didn't realize this originally, but this one is a remake of the 2001 movie of the same name. It's written and directed by Lucky McKee who also did May and a nice little sleeper in a past Horrorfest, The Woman. When the movie begins, we are greeted with sassy teens interacting with each other in stereotypical fashion and an accidental death that kind of gets the ball rolling on the rest of the story. Things continue to progress slowly though as the focus of the story hinges on a new recruit trying to fit in with the mean girl cheerleaders. My first attempt at watching the movie failed when I fell asleep. But because it had me curious as to how this thing was going to play out, I gave it another shot from the beginning last night as I knew that mayhem was going to ensue at some point. Well, there is a subdued amount of mayhem that does occur over the course of the rest of the film, but not nearly as I expected it to go. There is no doubt that McKee was trying for campy, B-movie status but I don't think this was charming enough to pull that off. In my opinion, the acting was not really an issue as I liked the characters, but the story was confusing and poorly executed. In the end, I wasn't even sure what the hell I had watched. I did have some fun along the way, but there is very little re-watchability going on here. I should add that the ending was pretty cool and kind of came out of nowhere (surprise surprise) and the door was left wide open for a sequel at some point in the future. Hopefully, there is better cohesion in the story if someone decides to take on that venture.
BornSlippyZ likes this.

Last edited by ApolloCreed; Today at 08:18 AM.
ApolloCreed is online now  
post #11741 of 11752 Old Today, 08:16 AM
Advanced Member
 
ApolloCreed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: MN
Posts: 906
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
Is so. Bad horror? Probably, but horror. I mean The Car is horror right? My Great and Glorious Tribe accepts action mystery thrillers like Seven as horror. We even allow Sharknado. Death Proof isn't a Lifetime movie like The Strangers is.

Come on man. Two low blows in one post?? . Seven, to me, feels a lot more like horror than Death Proof.....but of course, to each their own. And The Strangers a Lifetime movie???? Them's fighting words my friend .


Honestly, In the past I wouldn't have considered Godzilla a horror movie. But I'll be damned if I didn't move it to the top of my queue with the intention of watching it for the challenge because we have big time Sci-Fi fans coming over for movie night this weekend.
wizzack likes this.
ApolloCreed is online now  
post #11742 of 11752 Old Today, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member
 
darthrsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Post America America
Posts: 8,799
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloCreed View Post
Come on man. Two low blows in one post?? . Seven, to me, feels a lot more like horror than Death Proof.....but of course, to each their own. And The Strangers a Lifetime movie???? Them's fighting words my friend .


Honestly, In the past I wouldn't have considered Godzilla a horror movie. But I'll be damned if I didn't move it to the top of my queue with the intention of watching it for the challenge because we have big time Sci-Fi fans coming over for movie night this weekend.

LOL, just fooling. On the real though Death Proof is horror like Wolf Creek is or isn't.
ApolloCreed likes this.
darthrsg is online now  
post #11743 of 11752 Old Today, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
wizzack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Jersey
Posts: 2,518
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloCreed View Post
Daddario is ridiculous. If you want a better horror flick with her in it, check out Bereavement. Or even True Detective when she isn't shy whatsoever about showing the goods.

I'm a day late and a dollar short but what the hay.






The above post is 100% medically accurate


31 Days of Horror: 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009 2008
wizzack is online now  
post #11744 of 11752 Old Today, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member
 
BornSlippyZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Cincy, OH
Posts: 1,684
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 284
That girly is hot! I also like the girl that played American Mary!
wizzack likes this.

October HorrorFest Participant
BornSlippyZ is offline  
post #11745 of 11752 Old Today, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
wizzack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Jersey
Posts: 2,518
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyM View Post
Does the theatrical release of Grindhouse count as 1 or 2?

1. They should have never split it!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
Watched Deep Rising on DVD. The BD transfer received poor marks so I never upgraded. I have a soft spot for this movie. I really like it and always look forward to watching it. It has a great cast with the right amount of humor and cheese. I do loves me some cheese. Such a fun film.

Good call. Fun is the key word. FAMKE!


Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post
I did a brunette femme fatale double feature last night!

#26 , American Mary, Netflix streaming HD, FTV I have been wanting to see this movie for a while and last night was the opportunity! What a gem this movie is and I love the juxtaposition between Mary/ her friends and the 'normal' dr.s/surgeons that are supposed to be furthering her education. Well done acting and story telling, plus this movie has enough blood to satisfy most horror fans out there! 4.5 Body Modded Zombies!!!

[obligatory Katharine Isabelle post]

oh hai


....
....
....




Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post

#27 , House on Haunted Hill, AMC. This movie just started after I got done watching American Mary. This is a remake of the 50's version that isn't that good as far as story telling, but it has Famke and excellent set pieces! This film is about an old haunted asylum and unsuspecting guests trying to stay alive so they can collect $1M dollars! Guilty pleasure movie all the way! 3.75 Stuttered action Zombies!

More FAMKE! I caught some of this too and got drawn in. Gotta go back and give it a fair shake.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Azarath View Post
I liked Death Proof, too, but can it really be considered a horror movie? I mean, it's not exactly scary. More so badass. When I think horror, I think terror. Like, almost hiding under the blankets type thing. The stuff of nightmares.

The true horror of Death Proof is having to sit through an hour of annoying chicks yapping.
Waboman and ApolloCreed like this.


The above post is 100% medically accurate


31 Days of Horror: 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009 2008
wizzack is online now  
post #11746 of 11752 Old Today, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member
 
GoCaboNow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,079
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob McLaughlin View Post
21. 100 Bloody Acres (FTV)
Three Australian youths on the way to a rural concert festival run into organic fertilizer sellers who need more of their secret ingredient: human bodies. This was an enjoyable horror-comedy with a very Australian sense of humor, and some hilariously over-the-top gore. One of the would-be victims has dropped acid in anticipation of the concert, so he has a hard time taking their predicament all that seriously, leading to many funny situations. A few of the gags are hit-or-miss, but overall you will have a good time watching 100 Bloody Acres.

3.5 out of 5 stars.
Nice! I enjoyed the tone and the older brother in this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
I Am Legend (2007) - Like Death Proof this one isn't listed as horror film (but should be). I watched it anyway. And I liked it.

I already watched The Omega Man and I Am Omega this month so I had to include this one. I haven't seen The Last Man on Earth yet but it's public domain and available on archive.org and YouTube.
Thought I read somewhere they were trying ot get a prequel or sequel off the ground for I am Legend but Will Smith did not want to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloCreed View Post
21. All Cheerleaders Die (2013)- {2.25/5} Netflix Streaming (FTV)Didn't realize this originally, but this one is a remake of the 2001 movie of the same name. It's written and directed by Lucky McKee who also did May and a nice little sleeper in a past Horrorfest, The Woman. When the movie begins, we are greeted with sassy teens interacting with each other in stereotypical fashion and an accidental death that kind of gets the ball rolling on the rest of the story. Things continue to progress slowly though as the focus of the story hinges on a new recruit trying to fit in with the mean girl cheerleaders. My first attempt at watching the movie failed when I fell asleep. But because it had me curious as to how this thing was going to play out, I gave it another shot from the beginning last night as I knew that mayhem was going to ensue at some point. Well, there is a subdued amount of mayhem that does occur over the course of the rest of the film, but not nearly as I expected it to go. There is no doubt that McKee was trying for campy, B-movie status but I don't think this was charming enough to pull that off. In my opinion, the acting was not really an issue as I liked the characters, but the story was confusing and poorly executed. In the end, I wasn't even sure what the hell I had watched. I did have some fun along the way, but there is very little re-watchability going on here. I should add that the ending was pretty cool and kind of came out of nowhere (surprise surprise) and the door was left wide open for a sequel at some point in the future. Hopefully, there is better cohesion in the story if someone decides to take on that venture.
Hmmm, sounds a little mixed. I have not had the best luck with FTV's this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloCreed View Post
Come on man. Two low blows in one post?? . Seven, to me, feels a lot more like horror than Death Proof.....but of course, to each their own. And The Strangers a Lifetime movie???? Them's fighting words my friend .


Honestly, In the past I wouldn't have considered Godzilla a horror movie. But I'll be damned if I didn't move it to the top of my queue with the intention of watching it for the challenge because we have big time Sci-Fi fans coming over for movie night this weekend.
I am going to have to go with if you think it is horror, it is horror - to you. When I grew up, and a little before , monster movies were considered horror. We had this conversation last year about Pacific Rim. How can huge monsters that can level cities not be horror when a movie about a lone guy that abducts a person, or two, for torture/rape/agony is horror today?

I know folks don't really get "scared" at a creature feature today because we KNOW there is no way in heck this could ever happen.
Home invasion/abduction/torture does happen in real life so, theoretically, is more believable in a movie. Even haunted type movies are more believable because there is just a chance that noise behind you, when you are watching a movie, could be something...but doesn't mean the other horror movies are any less valid...to me!
ApolloCreed likes this.

Location: Beaverton, Oregon
My Dedicated Home Theater Room
GoCaboNow is online now  
post #11747 of 11752 Old Today, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
wizzack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Jersey
Posts: 2,518
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
Death Proof isn't a Lifetime movie like The Strangers is.




Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloCreed View Post
And The Strangers a Lifetime movie???? Them's fighting words my friend .

I got your back!
ApolloCreed likes this.


The above post is 100% medically accurate


31 Days of Horror: 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009 2008
wizzack is online now  
post #11748 of 11752 Old Today, 09:52 AM
Advanced Member
 
ApolloCreed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: MN
Posts: 906
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
LOL, just fooling.

I know. Me too. Whatever anybody considers to be a worthy candidate in a horror marathon is perfectly fine with me. I would not intentionally judge anybody's choices for their marathon and only gave my opinion because somebody asked. If you look at it in the terms you described, Death Proof could certainly qualify. For me though, I've seen it many times and really enjoy it (Tarantino is one of my favs) but I just never thought of it as being horror. No worries though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzack View Post


....
....
....

I remember these pics from before. Very cool. She's looking mighty friendly in the last one. Mind telling us how the rest of the night went?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post
I am going to have to go with if you think it is horror, it is horror - to you. When I grew up, and a little before , monster movies were considered horror. We had this conversation last year about Pacific Rim. How can huge monsters that can level cities not be horror when a movie about a lone guy that abducts a person, or two, for torture/rape/agony is horror today?

I know folks don't really get "scared" at a creature feature today because we KNOW there is no way in heck this could ever happen.
Home invasion/abduction/torture does happen in real life so, theoretically, is more believable in a movie. Even haunted type movies are more believable because there is just a chance that noise behind you, when you are watching a movie, could be something...but doesn't mean the other horror movies are any less valid...to me!

Well put. Agreed.
ApolloCreed is online now  
post #11749 of 11752 Old Today, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Waboman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Terraforming Planet Wabo
Posts: 7,070
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post
I also like this movie and I think I bought it for $5 . It also comes with The Puppet Masters on the same BD.

Edit, it is $5.17 right now on Amazon. The sound is decent on Deep Rising and Puppet Masters is only Stereo.
That's a great price. Can't beat $2.50 a movie. Thanks for the heads up.

__________________________________________

When life gives you limes, make margaritas
Waboman is online now  
post #11750 of 11752 Old Today, 10:23 AM
Bass Enabler
 
Scott Simonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Clovis, CA
Posts: 14,067
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked: 916
Death Proof is definitely horror.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

 

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

Scott Simonian is online now  
post #11751 of 11752 Old Today, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Waboman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Terraforming Planet Wabo
Posts: 7,070
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked: 630
Watched Dead Snow last night. Good recommendation. This had some classic scenes. Lots of entrails.
GoCaboNow and tydq like this.

__________________________________________

When life gives you limes, make margaritas
Waboman is online now  
post #11752 of 11752 Old Today, 11:15 AM
Member
 
tydq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
Troll Hunter and Rare Exports will do that.
Good choices, indeed. However, I counted my list and I still have 60+ movies to get through . I feel like I need to stick to FTVs (which should be easy, because the wife has started binge-watching Grey's Anatomy, which mostly takes her out of the selection equation), but I'm not really sure what direction to go next...I do have one more unwatched Norwegian folklore horror movie called Thale. But, it has a mediocre rating, so could be risky...Dang, having fun is hard!

__________________________________________________ ___________________


Horrorfest 2013 (in 2014)
tydq is online now  
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off