October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....) - Page 394 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1228Likes

post #11791 of 11804 Old Yesterday, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 910
51. The Nightmare Before Christmas. This is a very pretty movie and the kid seemed to like it but I'm no Burton fan. I like BeetleJuice and Edward Scissorhands but mostly his art style does very little for me.

52. ParaNorman. This I like a lot and so does the kid. Stunning visuals and lots of little nods to other bigger scarier flicks.
GoCaboNow and BornSlippyZ like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11792 of 11804 Old Yesterday, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

53. The Purge: Anarchy. FTV. I enjoyed the first entry in the series despite its flaws and the same goes for this one. The narrative is tighter and bigger in scope. We get to see some more layers to this alternate America. While the movie itself isn't scary some of the places your mind can wander under the new rules are. Stepping outside the home invasion roots of the first one this is more Judgment Night as a rag tag crew try to make it through the night in one piece. To impede their progress are an array of wild loonies and some more organized groups, some in favor of The Purge and others not so much. I liked it for what it was but I can see why many would pass. I think they need to amp up the gore.
BornSlippyZ likes this.
post #11793 of 11804 Old Yesterday, 09:05 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Just got through the worst part of my schedule at work this week and decided to watch a movie which I recorded off of the "Encore Avenue" channel on TV earlier this month that I'd almost forgotten about called The People Under The Stairs from 1991. I believe this movie has already been mentioned in here recently. Anyway, for me, it is a first-time viewing. I have to admit that I fell asleep about 30 minutes into the movie just due to general tiredness and ended up re-starting it, but thankfully I had enough in me to get through it the second time around. This movie and the people under the stairs themselves were not quite what I was expecting, but film serves up a reasonably good mix of action and horror with a bit of comedy. I did have a laugh-out-loud moment when Leroy made a comment about the dog after his first encounter with it! Overall, not as good of a film as I'd hoped for but still not bad at all and I would give it 3 out of 5. It was good to have seen it but I doubt I will re-visit it again for a few years.
ApolloCreed and BornSlippyZ like this.
post #11794 of 11804 Old Yesterday, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

54. Exists. FTV. A slight rip off of my Sasquatch idea from a while back. They changed enough so I can't sue them but now I know the source of the leak. It's one of you.

Anyways this is what Willow Creek should have been. If only it were a non found footage movie. There are way too many and go pro must be funding the hell out of them. If Willow Creek let you down this will make up for it. It needed more gore and could have been a five out of five if it had it.
ApolloCreed likes this.
post #11795 of 11804 Old Today, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

55. I Spit On Your Grave 2. Wife wanted to see this and I'd forgotten most of it. Pretty brutal and not my cup of tea. I'm usually one and done and don't typically repeat view this stuff. 2 Nuts in a vice.
post #11796 of 11804 Old Today, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

56. Dreamworks Spooky Stories Volume 1 and 2. FTV. Saw these on Netflix Instant this morning. Bluray will be here Tuesday. Shrek and the Monsters vs Aliens guys aka Susan tell spooky stories and they ooze character and Halloween charm. They'll be perfect to have on in the background for the trick or treaters.
post #11797 of 11804 Old Today, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Netflix added "Mr. Jones" yesterday which is a found footage supernatural horror about a couple who go to the woods to find the creator of some mystical sculptures. Put this in the "weird" column. I gave it 3 tantric scarecrows.

And it was a double feature night and though I did not intend it to be I wanted to check out one film I had in my queue called "Proxy". It has a high rating and is listed as Thriller, Horror, etc. Starts out like a Lifetime movie about a young pregnant woman who loses here child after a violent attack. At about the 30 minute mark things begin to go awry. This is a very unusual film and reminds of times like a Hitchcock thriller and towards the end a little Tarantino. And the high ratings are well deserved for this indie film shot in the midwest. I give it 4 bricks.
post #11798 of 11804 Old Today, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 290
I did two Halloween movies back to back last night.

#29, Halloween (RZ 2007), IFCHD...I decided to give this movie another shot and try to enjoy it for what it is. I will say I enjoyed this movie more when I just 'forget' about JC's OG film. But it is really hard to wipe the OG one out of my mind while watching this movie. I did though enjoy the first half way more than the last half and Dr. Loomis/little Mike characters 'carry' the movie better than the rest of the characters. My favorite RZ film is still House of a Thousand Corpses. 2.5 Boogie Man Zombies

#30, Halloween, JC' OG one, I always have this movie in rotation for Halloween and it is a must for all horror fans! I think everyone here and people that don't watch horror movies have seen this film at least once in their life! IMHO, and I do have my biases, but this film is a classic and never gets old! By today's standards this movie is low budget but as you look how this movie was made and the camera angles, you soon appreciate the sense of dread and horror John Carpenter brings to the table! My two favorite scenes are the beginning young killer Mikey killing his sister. I always get the creeps as he puts on his mask and how the POV is behind the mask! Second, is when Jamie Lee Curtis is hiding in the closet and Mike breaks through the slotted wood door! That shot is awesome because of that bulb swinging around casting different shadows in that little space! 5 Boogie Man Zombies!

Sidebar about the original Halloween is back in my single days I use to live really close to Pasadena (I lived in Arcadia), where Halloween was filmed. My friends and I use to find the actual streets/Homes and walk around the neighborhood, checking out the different places.
The Mice likes this.

October HorrorFest Participant
post #11799 of 11804 Old Today, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

I heart that younger JLC. A lot.
post #11800 of 11804 Old Today, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 62
22. Pontypool (NF Streaming, FTV)
I quite enjoyed this even though the concept of the "conversationalist" virus was a bit of a stretch for me. But the idea of losing all our modern information streams and basically getting second hand info on an outbreak like this and wondering WTF is going on was very well done. And the radio host had a very authentic radio voice which added to the credibility of the setting.

XBox: King Nuthin
post #11801 of 11804 Old Today, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post

#30, Halloween, JC' OG one, I always have this movie in rotation for Halloween and it is a must for all horror fans! I think everyone here and people that don't watch horror movies have seen this film at least once in their life! IMHO, and I do have my biases, but this film is a classic and never gets old! By today's standards this movie is low budget but as you look how this movie was made and the camera angles, you soon appreciate the sense of dread and horror John Carpenter brings to the table! My two favorite scenes are the beginning young killer Mikey killing his sister. I always get the creeps as he puts on his mask and how the POV is behind the mask! Second, is when Jamie Lee Curtis is hiding in the closet and Mike breaks through the slotted wood door! That shot is awesome because of that bulb swinging around casting different shadows in that little space! 5 Boogie Man Zombies!

Sidebar about the original Halloween is back in my single days I use to live really close to Pasadena (I lived in Arcadia), where Halloween was filmed. My friends and I use to find the actual streets/Homes and walk around the neighborhood, checking out the different places.
I like the way he positions Mr Myers in some of the shots. Americana as the camera pans and then Uh Oh, there is MM standing next to the house across the street. Blending in with the suburbs yet still standing out. Those kinds of subtleties really bring the creep factor for me.

We did Hotel Transylvania last night.
BornSlippyZ likes this.

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #11802 of 11804 Old Today, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 290
#31 , Dark Skies, BD, FTV for the wife...Looking for a movie that can bring in the creep but not overwhelm my better half, Dark Skies fit that need. This movie has some terrific sound on BD and the story kept my wife's attention on the movie the whole time. For me this movie does a great job of being emotionally unsettling because you cannot do a lot to stop 'them' from messing with your family. The film makers made a great choice by obscuring the alien for most of the film so you get a sense of the family's dread. At the end my wife said "that is it?", I guess she wanted more but I told her yes that was it! This is one of the very rare PG13 Horror movies I really like! Great choice for people that cannot handle the harder horror. 4.0 Grey Alien Zombies!
stevew24963 likes this.

October HorrorFest Participant
post #11803 of 11804 Old Today, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

post #11804 of 11804 Old Today, 10:31 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 81
I decided that this is the year that I must finally watch all of the movies from my Wolf Man Legacy Collection that I bought a couple of years ago and meant to get to last year, so tonight after work I got the ball rolling with...you guessed it...the 1941 classic The Wolf Man. Just as good as I remember, very interesting throughout and not too long at just 69 minutes. I will tackle the rest of the set over the course of the week. I still have not quite decided what my Halloween night movie will be this year. Usually I go with a first time viewing for Halloween night and it has generally been more miss than hit in recent years but hopefully I luck out this time with something decent!

Wow, I can't believe The Wolf Man is my 39th horror movie of this year's marathon! I thought for sure I would never be able to top last year's 32 movies. I guess that Exorcist all-day series marathon earlier this month and watching all three Poltergeist movies in one night pushed me over the top!
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page