October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....) - Page 398 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1402Likes

post #11911 of 11938 Old Yesterday, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 940
61. Housebound. FTV. Great legit mystery tale. Pretty funny at times. If you like a good mystery check it out.
wizzack likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11912 of 11938 Old Yesterday, 08:36 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Last night I watched The Devil's Rejects for the first time. Wow, it is definitely way different than anything else I have watched this month, although that shouldn't be a surprise coming from Rob Zombie! A big mish-mash of different things going on with this one...violence/killings, gruesomeness, kidnappings, sadism to name a few. Both the police and the family they are going after in this film are pretty ruthless. This movie isn't going to be for everyone but I was happy that I have finally seen it and would give it 3 out of 5.

Tonight I plan to watch House of 1000 Corpses and still plan to go ahead with Invasion of the Body Snatchers for Halloween night. I am going to visit a relative earlier in the day on Halloween so I don't know what my time frame will be but I will maybe try to get a random second movie in on Halloween night as well to wrap up this year's horror movie marathon!
post #11913 of 11938 Old Yesterday, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mice View Post
Last night I watched The Devil's Rejects for the first time. Wow, it is definitely way different than anything else I have watched this month, although that shouldn't be a surprise coming from Rob Zombie! A big mish-mash of different things going on with this one...violence/killings, gruesomeness, kidnappings, sadism to name a few. Both the police and the family they are going after in this film are pretty ruthless. This movie isn't going to be for everyone but I was happy that I have finally seen it and would give it 3 out of 5.

Tonight I plan to watch House of 1000 Corpses and still plan to go ahead with Invasion of the Body Snatchers for Halloween night. I am going to visit a relative earlier in the day on Halloween so I don't know what my time frame will be but I will maybe try to get a random second movie in on Halloween night as well to wrap up this year's horror movie marathon!

Any reason why you're watching House of 1000 after Devil's Rejects? Not that it's required to see House first, but you do get introduced to all the characters in the first one. IMO, the two movies are vastly different from each other even though Rejects is labeled as the sequel.
post #11914 of 11938 Old Yesterday, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloCreed View Post
Any reason why you're watching House of 1000 after Devil's Rejects? Not that it's required to see House first, but you do get introduced to all the characters in the first one. IMO, the two movies are vastly different from each other even though Rejects is labeled as the sequel.
Don't forget both of these are sequels to Lords of Salem. The spell on the record summoned those guys in HOTC and DR. In 2017 the next phase of the Zombie Universe will be revealed. Lords Of A 1000 Reject Devils kicks it all off on the 6th day of the 6th month at 6am.

Spoiler!
post #11915 of 11938 Old Yesterday, 09:22 AM

Quote:

Oh crap, I was not aware of this detail! Had I realized that the two movies are tied together, I definitely would have watched the other one first. Oh well, that's okay, maybe it will give me a different perspective on the back story.
post #11916 of 11938 Old Yesterday, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Oh crap, I was not aware of this detail! Had I realized that the two movies are tied together, I definitely would have watched the other one first. Oh well, that's okay, maybe it will give me a different perspective on the back story.
When I was a kid I watched the Star Trek movies out of order and I turned out ok. Mostly.
post #11917 of 11938 Old Yesterday, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
Don't forget both of these are sequels to Lords of Salem. The spell on the record summoned those guys in HOTC and DR. In 2017 the next phase of the Zombie Universe will be revealed. Lords Of A 1000 Reject Devils kicks it all off on the 6th day of the 6th month at 6am.

LOL well then if Lords of Salem is a prequel to the other two movies, then I am definitely going to be watching this franchise of movies totally in reverse order! I don't think I've ever done that before with a series!
post #11918 of 11938 Old Yesterday, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
LOL well then if Lords of Salem is a prequel to the other two movies, then I am definitely going to be watching this franchise of movies totally in reverse order! I don't think I've ever done that before with a series!

Among fans it's known as the Tomahawk Order.
The Mice likes this.
post #11919 of 11938 Old Yesterday, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
I watched Strippers vs Werewolves last weekend. Make sure you have plenty of adult beverages on hand.
Hmmm, that's an idea...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tydq View Post
33. Rawhead Rex (1986)(FTV) - 3.5

Welp, I was having a hard time picking tonight. As I've said before, I have way too many unwatched movies left to choose from, and I'm chasing the high I got from Event Horizon. I was hoping I could go 3 for 3 with Clive (he was a consultant during pre-production on EH), but I was wrong. However, I'm trying not to take my disappointment out on the movie. It was an excellent B-movie, I was just looking for something that would blow me away. The premise is a demon is brought back to life in Ireland and terrorizes the countryside. It was competently put together, and the actors clearly put in a huge effort. The result is you get some pretty good performances balanced out with some laughably crazy performances (like the pregnant lady in the beginning - the actress tried so hard, but just made me chuckle). It also had a bunch of great (unintentionally?) hilarious dialogue. "Get upstairs, f***face!" or "Would you care for a cup of tea?", "Why don't you go f*** yourself!" The 2nd half of the movie was stacked with crazy lines that came out of nowhere with great delivery. Also, I think someone got peed on. It was hard to tell, because the monster tended to stand around a lot anyway. I'm sure it was intended to come across as a grand statement about religion and humanity, but it didn't work out that way at all. Worth a watch if you can, certainly not worth the $100+ it's going for on some sites.
Nice review!
I vaguely remember this as a kid seeing on TV. IIRC, reminds me of Pumpkin Head but not on NF and the buy prices on this are insane!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzack View Post
The Babadook is locked and ready for tonight. $10.99

This better be good!
Way to take one for the team!

Quote:

Spoiler!
Spoiler!

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #11920 of 11938 Old Yesterday, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:
When I was a kid I watched the Star Trek movies out of order and I turned out ok. Mostly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post
I vaguely remember this as a kid seeing on TV.
You guys make me feel old.
post #11921 of 11938 Old Yesterday, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Darth was using some clever humor in his post, but Lords is not a prequel to the other 2.
post #11922 of 11938 Old Yesterday, 11:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Spoiler!
Quote:
Among fans it's known as the Tomahawk Order.

You're a strange cat, dude...... but I like your humor. ^^ Funny sh#t^^
post #11923 of 11938 Old Yesterday, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzack View Post
Mockingbird really pissed me off and I can't get over it.

What % of new horror movies are this found footage/video cam variety?

10%

49%

80%

The "zombie" teet is wrinkled, drained and rotted. Please let this new fad die soon.

I'm really glad I read this post. I have Mockingbird downloaded on my DVR waiting to be watched based on the glowing review on Bloody Disgusting. After reading your post, I went back there to investigate this thing a little further. Turns out the comments under Bloody's review of the movie are nothing but negative. Some were insinuating that the people that contribute to that site had a vested interest in the movie so that is why the review was so good. Usually if a movie interests me, I'll watch it anyway regardless of the reviews. But in this case, since its gonna cost me like $10 to watch it, I'm likely going to pass. It pisses me off because I was really excited that it was from the guy that did The Strangers.
post #11924 of 11938 Old Yesterday, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Darth was using some clever humor in his post, but Lords is not a prequel to the other 2.

Ha ha, now you guys really have me confused and laughing! And that was quite funny about the Tomahawk Order thing!!! Well done! How could I not give those posts a like?

I'll still go ahead with House of 1000 Corpses this evening and will try to fit Lords of Salem in on Halloween night just so that I will have watched all three of these movies this year. Next year I will probably watch the Rob Zombie Halloween movies, although I had seen both before.
post #11925 of 11938 Old Yesterday, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Glad I didn't rent "Snowpiercer" on DVD. It was added to Netflix WI today.

Last night "horror" film was a UK ghost movie called "Soulmate" which is available on Hulu+. It's not that scary and more a haunted house love story but it's very well done. Three and a half old love letters.

This one opens tomorrow and I like this kind of stuff:
post #11926 of 11938 Old Yesterday, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
You guys make me feel old.
Lol, well maybe I wasn't a kid but it was a long time ago.

32 - Deliver us from evil 2014 (FTV) This was a little up and down for me. Excellent AV! Beautifully shot. Lots of dark scenes with just enough detail to see what is going on and crystal clear shots of the city really sets up some nice atmosphere. The audio is a lot of fun. Lots of surround usage and tons of mood bass. Nothing happening onscreen but a shot of the city and my chair starts to vibrate letting me know something is about to happen.

Good cast and competently put together. I enjoyed watching it but somewhere I got a little disconnected? The evil just seemed so faceless to me. More like a couple of thugs with face paint. Bana was ok but his home scenes should have made me care more about the person with his energetic, six year old soccer kid and doting wife/mom. But it just seemed too plastic and cookie cutter. EVERYTHING played out exactly as expected and felt more pg13 to me.

The exorcism scene was pretty good, and I liked the cop partner, and over all competency of the film, but it was missing a spark to really make it fun.

3.5 confessional Zombies

Cabo’s 2014Octoberfest movies

1- Dead before Dawn (FTV) .5 Pathetically Bad Zombies

2- Piranha 2010 4 Swimming Zombies

3- Screamers – the hunting (FTV) 3 Walking Dead, Laurie look alike Zombies

4- AFFLICTED (FTV) 2 One night standregretting Zombies

5- Eden Lake 3 pen knife wielding Zombies

6- GODZILLA 2000 (FTV) 3 Godzilla never gets old Zombies

7- Friday the 13th Part 8, Jason takes Manhattan(FTV) 3 Kane Hodder Zombies

8- The Quiet Ones (FTV) 3 Zombies armed with hair pins

9- Brotherhood of the Wolf (FTV) 2.75 Frenchy Zombies

10- MIMIC 3.5 Zombie bugs

11- ROGUE 3.75 AussieZombies (FTV)

12- Hellbenders 2.5finger chomping Zombies (FTV)

13- Resident Evil 4.5Zombies with bad teeth

14- Grave Encounters(FTV) 3 rat eating Zombies

15- Under the Skin (FTV)3.5 uncircumcised Zombies

16- Paranormal Activity,the marked ones (FTV) 2.5

17- Friday the 13thPart VII The New Blood (FTV) 3 Cheesy Zombies

18- GODZILLA 2014 (FTV) 4home theater Zombies

19- 49ers 17, Denver 42(FTV) 1 injury riddled Zombie

20- Cabin Fever – PatientZero (FTV) 3 never going to do foreplay ever again Zombies

21- Friday the 13thPart V (FTV) 3 missing Jason Voorhees

22- The Seasoning House(FTV) 2.5 flexible Zombies

23- RAZE (FTV) 1.0 RachelNichols rip off Zombies

24- Gangs of the Dead(FTV) 2 banger Zombies

25- Insidious 2 (FTV)3.25 missed opportunity Zombies

26- Hotel Transylvania 3Adam Sandler Zombies

27- Pacific Rim 4.5 bigass Zombies

28- Friday the 13thPart IV(FTV) 3 Zombies with short shorts

29- Snowpiercer (FTV) 3 verycold Zombies

30- Friday the 13thPart VI (FTV) 1.5 really lame Zombies

31- Hostel 2005 4 SlovakianZombies

32- Deliver Us From Evil(FTV) 3.5 confessional Zombies

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #11927 of 11938 Old Yesterday, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
Glad I didn't rent "Snowpiercer" on DVD. It was added to Netflix WI today.
Thanks for the heads up. I removed it from my rental queue and added it to my watch list.

When life gives you limes, make margaritas
post #11928 of 11938 Old Yesterday, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Stop hatin'
post #11929 of 11938 Old Yesterday, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

You'll probably wish you skipped Lords of Salem. Awful movie.
post #11930 of 11938 Old Yesterday, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post
You'll probably wish you skipped Lords of Salem. Awful movie.
It's fantastic.
post #11931 of 11938 Old Yesterday, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 194
EVENT HORIZON. Seems like we are all watching this. Loved it as i always do, the spaceship is done so well, love the design of everything. Ending could be more powerful, but a really good film. A solid 4.5 for me.

2014 OCTOBER HORROR MOVIES
-------------------------------
01- DEADGIRL - 4 zombies
02- INFERNO OF TORTURE - 3 zombies
03- RESIDENT EVIL APOCALYPSE - 4 zombies
04- NEIGHBOR - 3 zombies
05- HOUSE OF 1000 CORPSES - 5 zombies
06- DEVIL'S REJECTS - 4-1/2 zombies
07- V/H/S - 2-1/2 zombies
08- FRANKENSTEINS ARMY - 3-1/2 zombies
09- SHARKNADO-2 - 5 zombies
10- FRONTIER(S) - 5 zombies
11- CLOVERFIELD - 4-1/4 zombies
12- 28 WEEKS LATER - 4-1/4 zombies
13- THE LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT - 4 zombies
14- FINAL DESTINATION 5 - 3.5 zombies
15- THE SILENCE OF THE LAMBS - 5+++ zombies
16- EVENT HORIZON - 4.5 zombies
stevew24963 and BornSlippyZ like this.

never take life seriously
post #11932 of 11938 Old Yesterday, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 310
I found this little video on youtube, it is basically a fan made movie made of Dead Space 2 the video game. If you like Event Horizon and The Thing ('82) you might like this video! Enjoy!

October HorrorFest Participant
post #11933 of 11938 Old Yesterday, 04:18 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 737 Post(s)
Liked: 936
The first dead space was really, really good. Never got into the others. I think I tried 2 and it was annoying or too action-y or something. Something I didn't like and never played again. But they are good for atmosphere and gruesome stuff like very 'The Thing' like monsters.
GoCaboNow and BornSlippyZ like this.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #11934 of 11938 Old Yesterday, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post
The first dead space was really, really good. Never got into the others. I think I tried 2 and it was annoying or too action-y or something. Something I didn't like and never played again. But they are good for atmosphere and gruesome stuff like very 'The Thing' like monsters.
Yeah the first one had a better scary atmosphere, but I think DS2 works well as a sequel. I really wasn't fond of DS3 and I ended up trading it for another game. Though playing these games in a HT environment is pretty damn cool, especially a HT with those subs!

Edit: After looking around the internets John Carpenter was talking to Game Informer that he would love to make Dead Space into a Hollywood film! I don't have the link but if you google it you can find it. This was earlier this year but it would be SICK if John Carpenter got the green light from EA to make this into a film!

Here is one link!http://www.relyonhorror.com/latest-n...ad-space-film/

October HorrorFest Participant

Last edited by BornSlippyZ; Today at 04:35 AM.
post #11935 of 11938 Old Yesterday, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
This one opens tomorrow and I like this kind of stuff:
http://youtu.be/uPcqetBDKbU
Just noticed it's already on Amazon Instant and VUDU. "Open" must've meant to streaming.
post #11936 of 11938 Old Yesterday, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 76
The Onion looks back at TCM:
http://www.theonion.com/video/the-on...assacre,37322/

Ken.F likes this.

XBox: King Nuthin
post #11937 of 11938 Old Yesterday, 11:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked: 664
Snowpiercer (FTV) - Let me start out by saying I've read some mixed reviews on this one. Even though it moves at a slow pace, I found myself getting drawn into the movie. The film is visually stunning. From the train racing thru the frozen wasteland to each of the different cars and the classes they represent. Some powerful dialog towards the end. I give it 3.5/5 bloody train cars.

When life gives you limes, make margaritas

Last edited by Waboman; Today at 01:42 AM.
post #11938 of 11938 Old Today, 04:12 AM
AVS Special Member

True Tales of Horror: Introverted self get involved in three magazine photo shoots last night while in costume. Nobody will believe it's me.
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page