October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....) - Page 403 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-21-2014, 10:44 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked: 1018
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post
Agreed. I think next fall we'll have that and full 4k support. But will there be support for six in the ceiling...
That would be ideal. A full 9.1.6 speaker layout support would allow for a user to have the ability to playback: DSX, NeoX, DSU, Atmos, DTS-UHD and Auro3d. As long as it had the ability to know where the speakers were (even rudimentary) you could render all of that with one speaker layout.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2014, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked: 735
Quote:
It will take a lot of work, and money, just for Atmos implentation in my room. Probably wait for end of 2015 or early 2016 to see how it is taking off and standards solidified.

Hopefully, Atmos in 2016 and 4k in 2017.
I hear ya. I just don't see me cutting holes in my ceiling. I'm quite content slumming it with 7.1. But stranger things have happened...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post
I highly recommend to all my friends to wait for products with both Dolby Atmos and DTS-UHD built in. Could be as early as next summer/fall. I hope.
Good advice. However, as my wife will tell you, I'm not really good at listening. I have my eyes on the 8802. Any thoughts?

When life gives you limes, make margaritas
Old 11-21-2014, 11:07 AM
Bass Enabler

It's nice but you might regret the purchase when you want/need to move to 4K/UHD and DTS-UHD support. In which case you'll need to worry about selling the damn thing. And if you're perfectly content with 7.1 now....

Save some cash and headaches and wait it out.... like me.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

Old 11-21-2014, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Are you waiting it out? Was certain you were getting one of the Onkyo's. I Thought I read somewhere Marantz will offer an upgrade to DTS UHD when becomes available. Then again, I've gone the upgrade a component route in the past and it's not worth it.

Old 11-21-2014, 11:19 AM
Bass Enabler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
Are you waiting it out? Was certain you were getting one of the Onkyo's. I Thought I read somewhere Marantz will offer an upgrade to DTS UHD when becomes available. Then again, I've gone the upgrade a component route in the past and it's not worth it.
Lol, no way. I own an Onkyo and will never get a new one. I'm a Yamaha guy and that's the next machine I'm getting. But yeah, I'm gonna wait. At least til I can have Atmos and UHD in the same machine and hopefully support for >7.1.4 speakers.

People are speculating all over the place. Nothing definitive wrt DTS-UHD at all. Just that it's being worked on and might be available in 2015.

Now what is coming soon for some gear (I know for sure Denon/Marantz) is an Auro3D upgrade that you have to pay for.

It's purely wishful thinking to believe that DTS-UHD will be a free software upgrade for old (current) hardware when it comes out. And who knows when that will be?

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Last edited by Scott Simonian; 11-21-2014 at 11:24 AM.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post
Lol, no way. I own an Onkyo and will never get a new one. I'm a Yamaha guy and that's the next machine I'm getting. But yeah, I'm gonna wait. At least til I can have Atmos and UHD in the same machine and hopefully support for >7.1.4 speakers.

People are speculating all over the place. Nothing definitive wrt DTS-UHD at all. Just that it's being worked on and might be available in 2015.

Now what is coming soon for some gear (I know for sure Denon/Marantz) is an Auro3D upgrade that you have to pay for.

It's purely wishful thinking to believe that DTS-UHD will be a free software upgrade for old (current) hardware when it comes out. And who knows when that will be?
Oops. Sorry. It's Friday and my cerebral cortex is already starting the shut down for the weekend process. Was hoping to get all this Atmos/DTS UHD stuff diagramed in crayon to me.

You make very valid points. I will probably hold off too. That's the smart play.

Now back to horror and one of the most frightening beasts out there.

Spoiler!
yankeeman likes this.

Old 11-21-2014, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 960
Used my Vudu credit to watch The Signal. Quite good little scifi flick. I like these smaller productions. They feel like fleshed out episodes of The Outer Limits as opposed to the bigger flashy stuff.
Old 11-21-2014, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 328
I will be limited to my 4 ceiling speakers that are already there but it will be more than enough once I get the AVR with Atmos! I still need to get my subwoofer another friend!

Back to some Horror, I fit in The Thing since the snow is still outside (melting) and I find it funny that back when this movie premiered along with Bladerunner, critics lambasted these films! Now they are revered as Sci and Horror classic movies, funny how things work out! Also another tidbit of info I didn't know about The Thing is that Rob Bottin was only 22 when he started work on The Thing and running a 40 man effects crew to get the film done! He got really exhausted working on the film so much a docter ordered him to get some needed rest. So Stan Winston stepped in to help with some of the effects/creatures! Good Stuff!

Edit! Not gory Horror but worthy of a mention TCM just came back on Dish and they are showing Duel at 8pm EST!

October HorrorFest Participant

Last edited by BornSlippyZ; 11-21-2014 at 05:54 PM.
Old 11-22-2014, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
It will take a lot of work, and money, just for Atmos implentation in my room. Probably wait for end of 2015 or early 2016 to see how it is taking off and standards solidified.

Hopefully, Atmos in 2016 and 4k in 2017.
I've been tweaking and upgrading since the late 60's. Went from vinyl to MP3 and from mono to 7:1. I swore at some point I had to draw a line in the sand. I enjoy Atmos and 4K but to to these tired old ears, it's a case of diminished returns (and saving for a daughter's college tuition.) I think at this point, it's best to have you guys install and I'll drop by on occasion with a six-pack.

"I am NOT suffering from insanity... I happen to be enjoying myself!"

Old 11-22-2014, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post
I find it funny that back when this movie premiered along with Bladerunner, critics lambasted these films! Now they are revered as Sci and Horror classic movies,
Lol. Makes you wonder which scifi/horror flics lambasted today could be revered in 2030...

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudge981 View Post
I've been tweaking and upgrading since the late 60's. Went from vinyl to MP3 and from mono to 7:1. I swore at some point I had to draw a line in the sand. I enjoy Atmos and 4K but to to these tired old ears, it's a case of diminished returns (and saving for a daughter's college tuition.) I think at this point, it's best to have you guys install and I'll drop by on occasion with a six-pack.
I have friends that grew up in Eugene and went four years at U of O for less than it will cost me to go Atmos and a new 4k pj. Granted we are talking $6-7k. Would cost me over $100k to send my daughter down there today. Education has gone up in the last 20 years - go figure.

I see many a folk here that upgrade their display every year or two. When I do finally go 4k my pj will be 7,8 years old and long in the tooth by AVS standards. My wife does not see a need to ever upgrade and will be funny if she will be able to tell much of a difference.
BornSlippyZ likes this.

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
Old 11-23-2014, 01:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Technically, BSG could pass for horror. Edward James Olmos' face, in hidef, on a 133" screen from 10 feet a way...
Careful dude, don't diss Adama
GoCaboNow likes this.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
Old 11-23-2014, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Lol. Makes you wonder which scifi/horror flics lambasted today could be revered in 2030...

I have friends that grew up in Eugene and went four years at U of O for less than it will cost me to go Atmos and a new 4k pj. Granted we are talking $6-7k. Would cost me over $100k to send my daughter down there today. Education has gone up in the last 20 years - go figure.

I see many a folk here that upgrade their display every year or two. When I do finally go 4k my pj will be 7,8 years old and long in the tooth by AVS standards. My wife does not see a need to ever upgrade and will be funny if she will be able to tell much of a difference.
I jest, of course, about costs and what-not. It just seems it's been a lifetime of the industry wagging my tail. I'll tweak my system here and there when the need arises but unless I move to a new house (and get the urge to create my own theater) I'm happy with what I have. Still get the occasional friend drop by to watch a movie simply because I've got the better system in the neighborhood.

"I am NOT suffering from insanity... I happen to be enjoying myself!"

Old 11-23-2014, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

My modest system is really slumming it compared to those here but still better than nearly every place I go.
Old 11-23-2014, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
My modest system is really slumming it compared to those here but still better than nearly every place I go.
That is what I said to my local theater management when only one speaker decided to work during the last 30 minutes of Interstellar. I guess I never learn that I should just wait and watch them at home.

Scott Simonian, those speakers in your avatar reminds me of the speakers they used in underground warehouse parties I use to attend back in the day! I bet those speakers shake the earth pretty good!
wizzack likes this.

October HorrorFest Participant
Old 11-23-2014, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 164
I watched "Cassadaga" on Hulu+ last night. This is a very good horror film from the producer of "Midnight Meat Train." It's about a young woman art teacher who is haunted by ghosts and uncovers a serial killer in the process of solving why they are bugging her. I'll rate it 4 apparitions.

wizzack likes this.
Old 11-23-2014, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
I watched "Cassadaga" on Hulu+ last night. This is a very good horror film from the producer of "Midnight Meat Train." It's about a young woman art teacher who is haunted by ghosts and uncovers a serial killer in the process of solving why they are bugging her. I'll rate it 4 apparitions.

http://youtu.be/SLZu8hLEz64
Speaking of trains. I watched Train. It has Thora Birch as a member of a US wrestling team in the Ukraine and things go haywire on a train with organ harvesting and the like. It was very watchable and miles better than Capt America vs The Korean Ice Train.
Old 11-24-2014, 04:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Speaking of trains. I watched Train. It has Thora Birch as a member of a US wrestling team in the Ukraine and things go haywire on a train with organ harvesting and the like. It was very watchable and miles better than Capt America vs The Korean Ice Train.
Train is a very good movie, excellant in fact. A lot of people confuse it with Midnite Meat Train, but its different and done very well.
darthrsg likes this.

never take life seriously
Old 11-24-2014, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

"The Last Passenger" is OK for a train movie but could have used some resolvement. They must've run out of money.
Old 11-24-2014, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 203
The quintessential horror train movie.

Ahhhhh!

yankeeman, Waboman, CoreyM and 2 others like this.

The above post is 100% medically accurate

31 Days of Horror: 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009 2008
Old Yesterday, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Title should be "Trains in a snake."
Old Today, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 363
Quote:
I watched that one a while back and enjoyed it as well, I'd watch it again. I just watched Cap on a train last night, it was decent but I expected more given the hype. I have Deliver Us From Evil coming and may rent The Babadock over the weekend. October was a total bust for my norm so I have tons of horror in my queue that I still want to see.

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

Old Today, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Hi Kenobi. Missed ya in October as you werent as active as usual as you say. Same for me, i only did 16 or 17 movies. A lot was going on in my life. Now that things have settled down October is gone of course!!!

never take life seriously