October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....) - Page 415 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
First ... 413  414  415 416  417  ... Last
Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion > October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....)
GoCaboNow's Avatar GoCaboNow 10:11 AM 01-14-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post

I finished up Automata and I like the viewpoint of the machines in this movie. Chappie is another movie that looks promising as far as robot movies go.
I can't tell the tone of the movie from the trailer so far.

It's Blomkamp, so is he going to be gritty like D9 and Elysium? Or will he go Disney on this? It looks pretty cool though and Chappie reminds me a little of the Appleseed design if you are into anime at all.

GoCaboNow's Avatar GoCaboNow 10:37 AM 01-14-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
On the fence about blind buying Lucy.
This is a deeply personal decision you have to make on your own.

I use a 5 point buying protocal to determine potential ownership.

1 - replay potential
2 - nostalgia benefit
3 - cover coolness
4 - cannot wait for 30 day Netflix delay. Needed for family, or group viewing
5 - whim or spur of the moment purchase

Obviously, not all purchases can be a home run like this one.

Waboman's Avatar Waboman 11:04 AM 01-14-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post
This is a deeply personal decision you have to make on your own.

I use a 5 point buying protocal to determine potential ownership.

1 - replay potential
2 - nostalgia benefit
3 - cover coolness
4 - cannot wait for 30 day Netflix delay. Needed for family, or group viewing
5 - whim or spur of the moment purchase

Obviously, not all purchases can be a home run like this one.

Spoiler!
Lol. Love your 5 point protocol. I'd be getting the Steelbook version. Who am I kidding? I'm gonna buy it. I'm a sucka for scifi. And ScarJo too.

I had no idea after vampires ole Abe took on zombies. I love it. This is my kinda movie. Just checked NF and they have it available to stream. I think I find tonights viewing pleasure.
Waboman's Avatar Waboman 11:12 AM 01-14-2015
Watched As Above, So Below last night. It was decent. Didn't realize it was a shakey cam movie. Had some good moments.
GoCaboNow's Avatar GoCaboNow 11:22 AM 01-14-2015
Quote:
Lol. Love your 5 point protocol. I'd be getting the Steelbook version. Who am I kidding? I'm gonna buy it. I'm a sucka for scifi. And ScarJo too.

I had no idea after vampires ole Abe took on zombies. I love it. This is my kinda movie. Just checked NF and they have it available to stream. I think I find tonights viewing pleasure.
I am pretty sure Lucy will be a better movie than Abe Vs Z's...
General Kenobi's Avatar General Kenobi 12:58 PM 01-14-2015
I received some Amazon UK love today! I was hoping there would be an announcement for a domestic release which seems to often be the case but I hadn't so splurged for one of my all time favs. It was roughly $36 USD and is a beautiful Steelbook (B locked). The booklet inside has great photos and tidbits about the film. The movie itself is nothing short of a near perfect transfer. Gone are the orange/teal push and over saturated pallet. The transfer maintains the original grain (yea, no DNR!) and the colors and flesh tones look fantastically natural.

The Burbs was restored in 2K resolution by Arrow Films. The original grain positive was scanned in 2K on a 4K ArriScan by NBCUniversal StudioPost. The film was graded to Director Joe Dante's specifications on the Baselight color grading system at Prime Focus, London. The film was then restored at Deluxe Digital where thousands of instances of dirt, light screeches, and debris were removed through a combination of software tools and techniques. Image stability and related picture issues were also improved. The soundtrack was mastered from the original audio elements by NBCUniversal StudioPost. The restoration was overseen by James White on behalf of Arrow Films and has been approved by Director Joe Dante.

I also have The Babadook coming which should be region free but it was shipped by a different seller and is lagging on arrival.

BornSlippyZ's Avatar BornSlippyZ 01:34 PM 01-14-2015
Quote:

It's Blomkamp, so is he going to be gritty like D9 and Elysium? Or will he go Disney on this? It looks pretty cool though and Chappie reminds me a little of the Appleseed design if you are into anime at all.
Exactly what I thought when I saw the preview!

Sweet the Burbs on BD!!!!!!!!
Brian Conrad's Avatar Brian Conrad 02:00 PM 01-14-2015
I'll have to dig around and find why episode 7 of "Z Nation" was in "scope". For action the whole series would have played better that way but we know there are some people who hate "them black bars." Maybe it was the director's prerogative or they wanted to test an episode to see if they can do all of season 2 that way. Some foreign shows like "Utopia" were shot that way and ad agencies seem to be shooting some ads in "scope".

Not horror nor sci-fi but heads up for Danny Boyle's "Babylon" currently running on Sundance especially if you are a Brit Marling fan. Don't have Sundance? It's available on Amazon and VUDU with the latter charging only 99 cents for the 78 minute pilot. Great show.

Oink, get ready for Californians to invade if we don't get anymore rain this year.
Waboman's Avatar Waboman 02:43 PM 01-14-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post
I received some Amazon UK love today! I was hoping there would be an announcement for a domestic release which seems to often be the case but I hadn't so splurged for one of my all time favs. It was roughly $36 USD and is a beautiful Steelbook (B locked). The booklet inside has great photos and tidbits about the film. The movie itself is nothing short of a near perfect transfer. Gone are the orange/teal push and over saturated pallet. The transfer maintains the original grain (yea, no DNR!) and the colors and flesh tones look fantastically natural.

The Burbs was restored in 2K resolution by Arrow Films. The original grain positive was scanned in 2K on a 4K ArriScan by NBCUniversal StudioPost. The film was graded to Director Joe Dante's specifications on the Baselight color grading system at Prime Focus, London. The film was then restored at Deluxe Digital where thousands of instances of dirt, light screeches, and debris were removed through a combination of software tools and techniques. Image stability and related picture issues were also improved. The soundtrack was mastered from the original audio elements by NBCUniversal StudioPost. The restoration was overseen by James White on behalf of Arrow Films and has been approved by Director Joe Dante.

I also have The Babadook coming which should be region free but it was shipped by a different seller and is lagging on arrival.

Spoiler!
Good movie and great looking Steelie, GK. Too bad it's region B or it would be mine too.
General Kenobi's Avatar General Kenobi 03:08 PM 01-14-2015
Quote:
Good movie and great looking Steelie, GK. Too bad it's region B or it would be mine too.
Thanks!

I bought a Orei region free player a couple years ago to replace a bad Insignia. I think I paid about $60ish on amazon and IMO is totally worth it. I have a nice lil handful of region locked titles that I'm really glad to own and are not available here. Off the top of my head:
Inbred
Suspiria
The Loved Ones
The Burbs
Extended Girl With the Dragon Tattoo Trilogy
Attack of the Werewolves
The Silent House
BornSlippyZ's Avatar BornSlippyZ 06:04 PM 01-14-2015
There are some titles I need from that list Kenobi. I also need some Disney titles that weren't released in 3D in the US. Thankfully you can order them from the UK.
tenthplanet's Avatar tenthplanet 09:29 PM 01-14-2015
Quote:
Watched As Above, So Below last night. It was decent. Didn't realize it was a shakey cam movie. Had some good moments.
How did you like the end?
tenthplanet's Avatar tenthplanet 09:40 PM 01-14-2015
Stumbled across the Blu Ray for 7500 also known as Flight 7500 which has never been released in this country. The rights where originally held by CBS films. Anyway the film is available from Germany on Amazon.de, It's all region and there is an English and German DTS HD audio track so there are no subtitles to deal with. With standard shipping it worked out to a little less than 13 dollars. If you want to order it look For Flug 7500 on Amazon's site.
tenthplanet's Avatar tenthplanet 09:49 PM 01-14-2015
Quote:

I have a source which will remain nameless that has seen the movie, in a nutshell there is grit and yet there is heart also. The trailer is sort of cleaned up but the wonderment part is spot on. The source thinks it would be worth a look if you like Blomkamp's previous films.
oink's Avatar oink 12:06 AM 01-15-2015
Quote:
I got that from Mrs. Oink. Said it was one of your better portraits.
Eh, what does she know?

Quote:
Make sure you watch Sharknado last. It will drown all other movies in it's awesomeness.
Although it doesn't match the awesomeness of the 1st film, Sharknado 2 is out on BD and is a fun watch.

Quote:
Spokane is a nice city. I get there once a year or so from Portland. Has an old fashioned 1950's vibe to it with a little Idaho spice.
Idaho = The Rocky Mountain Embarrassment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
Spokane is not up I5, it's in eastern Washington. It's also a very "provincial" town.
Doh!
I was thinking of Tacoma....(damn Bushmill's!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew24963 View Post
would love to see Seattle.
Seattle is a great place to be a tourist.
oink's Avatar oink 12:19 AM 01-15-2015
Quote:
On the fence about blind buying Lucy.
Rent first....seriously.

Quote:
Or will he go Disney on this?
The trailer indicates a "Disney" approach.

Quote:
I am pretty sure Lucy will be a better movie than Abe Vs Z's...
LOL, that's not saying a lot.
Abe vs. Zs is frickin' awful.

Quote:

Not horror nor sci-fi but heads up for Danny Boyle's "Babylon" currently running on Sundance especially if you are a Brit Marling fan. Don't have Sundance? It's available on Amazon and VUDU with the latter charging only 99 cents for the 78 minute pilot. Great show.
Thanx for the heads-up...I have Amazon Prime.

Quote:
Oink, get ready for Californians to invade if we don't get anymore rain this year.
Don't....just don't.

Oregon is an AWFUL place.
Californians (in particular) will just hate it.
Ken.F's Avatar Ken.F 08:15 AM 01-15-2015
I picked up Jessabelle at Redbox yesterday. This one is worth a watch. Pretty good for PG-13 but it could have been way better with a R rating. You could tell they were holding back. Who takes a bath wearing clothes?

You Tube

darthrsg's Avatar darthrsg 08:17 AM 01-15-2015
I NEED The Babadook blu in my life.
General Kenobi's Avatar General Kenobi 09:45 AM 01-15-2015
Quote:
There are some titles I need from that list Kenobi. I also need some Disney titles that weren't released in 3D in the US. Thankfully you can order them from the UK.
I did that with Frozen which baffles me it wasn't released here in 3D given the crazy success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
I NEED The Babadook blu in my life.
dook dook dook

Yes, I'm really looking forward to a second viewing on that. I streamed it from amazon and the PQ was effing crap!
BornSlippyZ's Avatar BornSlippyZ 09:57 AM 01-15-2015
Frozen and Big Hero 6 in 3D is what I want and I cannot understand what Disney is doing? I wrote them an email asking them why is other countries getting the release in 3D. Granted I know most don't care for 3D but there is money to be made....

Someone got me a $10 card to RB and I cannot wait to watch Babadook! There are a ton of BD coming out like Escape From New York (Shout! Factory), A Walk among the Tombstones, Fury etc...deciding what to buy/rent is kinda tough.
Waboman's Avatar Waboman 10:38 AM 01-15-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
How did you like the end?
I enjoyed how they
Spoiler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post
Rent first....seriously.
I'm a sucka for a good Steelbook and scifi. Plus it's ScarJo.

Quote:
Doh!
I was thinking of Tacoma....(damn Bushmill's!)
Must have been a lot of Bushmills to mix up Tacoma for Spokane. What would Tom Tuttle say?

Spoiler!

Waboman's Avatar Waboman 10:52 AM 01-15-2015
Watched Abe vs Zombies last night. Oh man, not really much to say, except I made it all the way to the end. Which given what I was watching was an accomplishment in and of itself. This movie was begging for some sharks.

@ BSZ, I think the (Shout!) Escape is worth a buy. I'm probably gonna replace my older Escape BD with this. I'm a fan.
GoCaboNow's Avatar GoCaboNow 11:09 AM 01-15-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
I have a source which will remain nameless that has seen the movie, in a nutshell there is grit and yet there is heart also. The trailer is sort of cleaned up but the wonderment part is spot on. The source thinks it would be worth a look if you like Blomkamp's previous films.
Excellent, thanks for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
I picked up Jessabelle at Redbox yesterday. This one is worth a watch. Pretty good for PG-13 but it could have been way better with a R rating. You could tell they were holding back. Who takes a bath wearing clothes?
Uh, HELLO. After having sex with your clothes you take a bath similarly...

Quote:
Frozen and Big Hero 6 in 3D is what I want and I cannot understand what Disney is doing? I wrote them an email asking them why is other countries getting the release in 3D. Granted I know most don't care for 3D but there is money to be made....
I don't have a dog in the hunt but I don't understand Disney on this either? Granted, Frozen did 150-180 million in media sales but you would think 3d could have added another 20+ mil?

I did Odd Thomas last night. Starts of pretty well, and I normally like Anton Yelchin, but it starts sliding down the lame pole, and can't quite pull away from an afterschool special vibe. The cgi creatures are pretty effective. Like a cross bettween a ring wraith and a dementor, and the cgi doesn't hurt their effectiveness here. Another one I wanted to like more, it just needed more bite.
GoCaboNow's Avatar GoCaboNow 11:13 AM 01-15-2015
Quote:
Watched Abe vs Zombies last night. Oh man, not really much to say, except I made it all the way to the end. Which given what I was watching was an accomplishment in and of itself. This movie was begging for some sharks.

@ BSZ, I think the (Shout!) Escape is worth a buy. I'm probably gonna replace my older Escape BD with this. I'm a fan.
Lol. Yeah, the best thing about this is the cover art.

I did find it fascinating that they TRIED to play it straight, and it comes off more like a historical re-enactment film you might watch in middle school, if you can stay awake.
Brian Conrad's Avatar Brian Conrad 03:30 PM 01-15-2015
Quote:
Rent first....seriously.

Don't....just don't.

Oregon is an AWFUL place.
Californians (in particular) will just hate it.
That's what we used to say about Seattle. We talked about the rain all the time to keep people from moving there. Apparently didn't work.
BornSlippyZ's Avatar BornSlippyZ 04:45 PM 01-15-2015
Quote:

I think I might buy this as I don't have Escape on BD yet. Not due out till April, ah why the hell not pre-ordered!
Waboman's Avatar Waboman 05:01 PM 01-15-2015
Quote:
I think I might buy this as I don't have Escape on BD yet. Not due out till April, ah why the hell not pre-ordered!
Snake Plissken. I heard you were dead!

Here's some info about the upcoming release:

• Extras (new & existing) are still in progress and will be announced in full details sometime in Feb. This is a 2-disc blu-ray set and will exceed the previous DVD special edition.

• Last and not least (and which will be good news to fans hoping this would happen): We have created a brand new 2K High Definition scan of the inter-positive, struck from the original negative.

oink's Avatar oink 05:04 PM 01-15-2015
Quote:
I'm a sucka for a good Steelbook and scifi. Plus it's ScarJo.
Don't say I didn't warn ya.

Must have been a lot of Bushmills to mix up Tacoma for Spokane. What would Tom Tuttle say?

Spoiler!
Actually, the words "Spokane" and "Tacoma" derive from the Salishan group of Native American languages.
Didn't the Masters on Planet Wabo teach you that????
Spoiler!

Quote:
Yeah, it's pretty bad.
The actors couldn't keep a straight face....

Quote:
Uh, HELLO. After having sex with your clothes you take a bath similarly...
LOL.

Quote:
That's what we used to say about Seattle. We talked about the rain all the time to keep people from moving there. Apparently didn't work.
Just think how it would be now if you hadn't....
Waboman's Avatar Waboman 05:23 PM 01-15-2015
Quote:
I did Odd Thomas last night. Starts of pretty well, and I normally like Anton Yelchin, but it starts sliding down the lame pole, and can't quite pull away from an afterschool special vibe. The cgi creatures are pretty effective. Like a cross bettween a ring wraith and a dementor, and the cgi doesn't hurt their effectiveness here. Another one I wanted to like more, it just needed more bite.
I liked Odd Thomas. Thought it was a fun movie. Plus it gets bonus points for...

Spoiler!

oink's Avatar oink 01:29 AM 01-16-2015
First ... 413  414  415 416  417  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop