October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....) - Page 43 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 240Likes

post #1261 of 10834 Old 10-29-2010, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by film113 View Post

Caught it myself the other night in HD on The Movie Channel. I enjoyed it but I don't think it's up there with the 2 films you mentioned. For one thing, logic is much less present. It's one thing not to explain who the killer is...or to even have any closure at all. But it is another thing to not explain ANYTHING. (Not the least of which is how anyone would have the time to set-up such elaborate traps in a house in just a few hours!

Being more of a "big picture" thinker, rather than a "detail-oriented" person, these kind of things (plot holes) rarely bother me in a movie. I generally just turn off my brain try and go along for the ride, which explains why I often enjoy movies that a lot of other people don't like (e.g. Transformers, ID4). I can certainly understand why a more critical thinker would have trouble with this film though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 10834 Old 10-29-2010, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Critical thinking for horror movies in general, is kind of an ironic and ridiculous thing.

post #1263 of 10834 Old 10-29-2010, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Last night's Blu-Ray:

Orphan

Solid flick with some good surprises along the way. I'm a therapist in my day job and I was really impressed with how true to life the interactions and relationships were between the family and their newly adopted child. I'm working with a family right now that is essentially living this exact premise and the filmmakers "nailed it." The ending seemed to drag on a bit too long for my tastes, but otherwise I enjoyed it. I'm a huge Vera Farmiga fan, so she can do no wrong in my eyes.

8/10
post #1264 of 10834 Old 10-29-2010, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FendersRule View Post

Critical thinking for horror movies in general, is kind of an ironic and ridiculous thing.

I don't think that I agree completely about that - take two films discussed often in this thread: A Tale of Two Sisters and Triangle. It would be tough to really get as much enjoyment from those without using your brain at least a little.

Then again, this type of movie is the exception in the horror genre, so for the most part you're right
post #1265 of 10834 Old 10-29-2010, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Last night's movie:

27. Dread (2009)- {3.75/5} DVD (First-time viewing) This one is part of the Afterdark Horrorfest 4 and is based on a short story by Clive Barker. It is about a man who recruits a couple of college students to help him do a psychological study on people's deepest fears. It turns out that the man (who was a psychopath from the jump) had alterior motives for doing the study as he eventually sets out to make the participants' deepest fears come true. Overall, I thought this movie was very well done. The performances are spot on and the originality of the story itself was quite intriguing. Some of the scenes were very graphic/entertaining to watch and the tension in the movie built up nicely until it culminates in a rather cool ending. Originally, I wasn't sure if I liked the last few sequences that led up to the ending, but after thinking about it today; I decided that it was fine the way it was. This movie was a very good addition to this year's challenge and it is definitely worthy of a rental recommendation for others.
post #1266 of 10834 Old 10-29-2010, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Ha-ha! I'm not dead yet!

If you were wondering why I had posted since Wednesday morning, it's because I had hernia surgery on Thursday and spent all day in the hospital trying to pee. Finally after 8 hours they gave up waiting and had to pull out that most dreaded torture device, the straight catheter. Yes, it is the worst possible pain you can imagine, felt like a stick covered with glass shards going in and out. Simply medieval, inhumane levels of pain. I was swearing up a storm and whimpering like a baby, I admit it. If any of you have gotten it done, you'll know what I'm talking about.

Anyway, I wouldn't let a little thing like general anaesthesia and surgery stop me! Wednesday night I watched The Omen, and Thursday night I stayed up late (and in considerable pain) to watch Frozen! While holding an ice pack against my groin! Now that's horror movie dedication, folks! (If I seem a bit loopy, it may be the Vicodin talking). Anyway, on with the reviews...

31. The Omen (1976)
Funny how time changes things. When this movie came out, a lot of people were comparing it to The Exorcist in terms of scariness. I think the 1970's lumped this movie in with "The Amityville Horror" and "The Exorcist" as the scariest movies of all time, but really the Omen isn't all that scary, unless dogs make you nervous. What makes the movie interesting at all is all the great death and injury scenes: hanging, skewering, impalement, falling off a balcony, decapitation by sheet glass! Also we have a nice creepy crazy priest. But mostly we get Gregory Peck saying "Kathy...Kathy..." over and over again. If you made this a drinking game where you had to drink every time he said "Kathy", you would be drunk by the second reel! Nevertheless I still enjoy this movie for some reason...must be that evil little Damien in all of us.

32. Frozen (first time viewing)
Awesome movie, thanks for the recommendations, guys! I didn't see how there could be a full movie made out of the topic, but they just kept finding ways to ratchet up the tension, and they had three fully fleshed-out characters too. This is a movie where I don't want to spoil too much talking about it, but if you have any fear of heights or cold or being abandoned, this movie will scare the crap out of you. Even if you don't fear these things, the movie will keep you captivated.

2010 Horror Movie Marathon List
FTV denotes first-time viewings
1. Severance (FTV)
2. Happy Birthday To Me (FTV)
3. The Howling
4. Dark Night of the Scarecrow (FTV)
5. Frankenstein (1931)
6. The Flesh and Blood Show (FTV)
7. Three...Extremes (FTV)
8. Lifeforce (FTV)
9. 30 Days of Night (FTV)
10. The Shining
11. The Human Centipede: First Sequence (FTV)
12. Don't Look Now
13. The Manitou (FTV)
14. I Sell The Dead (FTV)
15. Pet Sematary
16. Triangle (2009) (FTV)
17. The Orphanage
18. Trick 'r Treat
19. Ginger Snaps (FTV)
20. Dark Water (2002) (FTV)
21. The Devil's Rejects
22. Die, Monster, Die! (FTV)
23. Phantasm III: Lord of the Dead (FTV)
24. Teeth (FTV)
25. Grace (FTV)
26. The Mist (B&W)
27. The Lost (FTV)
28. Night of Bloody Horror (FTV)
29. Inferno (FTV)
30. City of the Living Dead (FTV)
31. The Omen (1976)
32. Frozen (FTV)

"I'LL SHOW YOU THE LIFE OF THE MIND!!!" - Barton Fink
post #1267 of 10834 Old 10-29-2010, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

By the way, awesome decorations, Kenobi! That took some "guts"! Seriously!

post #1268 of 10834 Old 10-29-2010, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMaugans View Post

I don't think that I agree completely about that - take two films discussed often in this thread: A Tale of Two Sisters and Triangle. It would be tough to really get as much enjoyment from those without using your brain at least a little.

Then again, this type of movie is the exception in the horror genre, so for the most part you're right

Good points! Try to watch Triangle expecting to turn your brain off, and you'll probably get nothing out of it. Those are clearly exceptions though!

Well, besides starring at Melissa George's godlike figure. yummmmmmmmmmm yummmmmmmmmm. She is so hot it isn't even funny.
post #1269 of 10834 Old 10-29-2010, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob McLaughlin View Post

31. The Omen (1976)
Funny how time changes things. When this movie came out, a lot of people were comparing it to The Exorcist in terms of scariness. I think the 1970's lumped this movie in with "The Amityville Horror" and "The Exorcist" as the scariest movies of all time, but really the Omen isn't all that scary, unless dogs make you nervous. What makes the movie interesting at all is all the great death and injury scenes: hanging, skewering, impalement, falling off a balcony, decapitation by sheet glass! Also we have a nice creepy crazy priest. But mostly we get Gregory Peck saying "Kathy...Kathy..." over and over again. If you made this a drinking game where you had to drink every time he said "Kathy", you would be drunk by the second reel! Nevertheless I still enjoy this movie for some reason...must be that evil little Damien in all of us.

The Omen is a fantastic movie, and it's scary in the philosophical theme of the movie in that "this is how the world could begin to end", which is what defines these apocalypse movies. The images that you are shown aren't that scary (but I do argue suspenseful as hell). Remember the priest at the park? The wind started to blow really hard, supernatural stuff started happening, and that would be scary as hell. What about when they went to dig up the old grave and the imagines that you saw there? I was actually disturbed myself. All the death scenes are very, and I mean VERY well done. I think they sort of start the "elicitedness" of the common slasher film too because they are are grotesque and cool looking (decapitation, impalement scene). On top of that, the acting is really really good (Peck is a fantastic actor).

HOWEVER, with that being said, I wouldn't pool The Omen with The Amityville Horror. The Amityville horror is totally b-rate when compared. The "big 3" are The Exorcist, The Omen, and Rosemary's Baby. I think The Omen comes in third place, as I think Rosemary's Baby is just as effective as The Exorcist. In-fact, can you believe there are people that have yet to see Rosemary's baby?!?! Those are the "big 3" apocalypse movies of the 70s. The AVH isn't really an apocalypse movie, it's more of a haunted house movie that is "decent" in itself. I like the new one more though, even though I think James Brolin is awesome, as usual (Westworld).
post #1270 of 10834 Old 10-29-2010, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FendersRule View Post

Well, besides starring at Melissa George's godlike figure. yummmmmmmmmmm yummmmmmmmmm. She is so hot it isn't even funny.

There's something we can agree completely about.
post #1271 of 10834 Old 10-29-2010, 04:28 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMaugans View Post

There's something we can agree completely about.

Wish someone would make a poster from her DARK CITY appearance! "I'd buy that for a dollar!"
post #1272 of 10834 Old 10-29-2010, 04:31 PM

Quote:

Ha-ha! I'm not dead yet!

31. The Omen (1976)[/b]
the Omen isn't all that scary, unless dogs make you nervous... Nevertheless I still enjoy this movie for some reason...must be that evil little Damien in all of us.

Or...you saw the nearly scene-for-scene remake and by comparison...!
post #1273 of 10834 Old 10-29-2010, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 723
Just watched The Devil's Rejects. I've never seen it before because I hate Rob Zombie in general. I thought the flick was cool. Got a bit drawn out in the middle but the ending was great. I guess I'll have to see House of a 1000 Corpses now.
post #1274 of 10834 Old 10-29-2010, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

On a slightly unrelated note the wife and I went to Sloss Furnace last night. Very cool haunted house in a supposedly very haunted place.

http://www.travelchannel.com/TV_Show...Sloss_Furnaces

http://www.frightfurnace.com/
post #1275 of 10834 Old 10-29-2010, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Bob, that sounds like torture. Get well soon and enjoy those vicodin.

Checked out Inferno tonight. Creeped me the hell out. Suspiria gets all the attention but I think this gives it a run for its money. Especially the last scene. Intense!

The above post is 100% medically accurate

31 Days of Horror:

post #1276 of 10834 Old 10-30-2010, 04:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Just watched The Devil's Rejects. I've never seen it before because I hate Rob Zombie in general. I thought the flick was cool. Got a bit drawn out in the middle but the ending was great. I guess I'll have to see House of a 1000 Corpses now.

Devil is really good movie, but its even better if you have seen House of 1000 Corpses. While Devil is still a good stand-alone movie, its still a continuation of the characters from House. To me, House is one of the old classics, really well done. But then, i like Rob Zombie. However, these two movies are better than his recent remakes of other movies.

never take life seriously
post #1277 of 10834 Old 10-30-2010, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

I'd agree with you Fenders on the quality of Rosemary's Baby, it definitely would push Amityville off the list. But that movie was released in the late 1960's. I was talking about the era and age I grew up in the 70s. None of the kids were talking about Rosemary's Baby, but everyone knew about The Exorcist, Jaws, Amityville, the Omen, etc.

Has anyone seen the Blu Ray of "Repulsion"? Definitely check this one out, it is quieter than Rosemary's Baby and more of a head trip, but some of the scenes are very chilling, to say the least.

33. Fright Night
This movie is still funny and fresh all these years later. It is very 80s-looking, of course, but the characters are great (Evil Ed especially!) and the special effects are fantastic in this pre-CGI era. The transformation scenes and the death scenes are simply awesome. Nice to see that the old tale of the vampire could be reworked into something fun, and great to see Roddy McDowall in another horror role. My wife had never seen this one before, and she doesn't normally go for horror, but she got sucked into it and was captivated.

1. Severance (FTV)
3. The Howling
5. Frankenstein (1931)
8. Lifeforce (FTV)
10. The Shining
12. Don't Look Now
13. The Manitou (FTV)
15. Pet Sematary
17. The Orphanage
18. Trick 'r Treat
19. Ginger Snaps (FTV)
21. The Devil's Rejects
24. Teeth (FTV)
25. Grace (FTV)
26. The Mist (B&W)
27. The Lost (FTV)
29. Inferno (FTV)
31. The Omen (1976)
32. Frozen (FTV)
33. Fright Night

post #1278 of 10834 Old 10-30-2010, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Saturday morning, i cant believe its this weekend and then our super fun month is over!!! This has been so great once again.

This morning i watched another brilliant French horror film, FRONTIERS. This is one of my absolute personal favorites, always has been since the first time i saw it. Its got so much in it, capture, torture, brutality, creepy setting both above and underground, a really horrific family lead by a Nazi, very graphic realistic gore, and so on. This movie has it all for me. A great watch.
Its one of my "10"-rated movies. This movie, along with INSIDE and HIGH TENSION shows that the French can really do some great horror.

My list so far, with ratings on a 1-10 scale:
1 - Grotesque - 9.25
2 - MOH Haeckels Tale - 4.5
3 - MOH Jenifer - 7
4 - MOH Pick Me Up - 5
5 - Murder-Set-Pieces - 7.5
6 - MOH Dance Of The Dead - 3.5
7 - MOH The Screwfly Solution - 4.5
8 - MOH Right To Die - 7.25
9 - Underworld - 9.25
10- The Last House On The Left - 9.25
11- Street Trash - 3
12- MOH Family - 7
13- Hannibal - 9.25
14- Fear Dot Com - 8
15- Pulse - 8
16- Deadgirl - 9
17- The Hitcher - 8
18- Return To House On Haunted Hill - 5
19- Saw - 9.5
20- Saw-2 - 8.5
21- Saw-3 - 8.5
22- Saw-4 - 8
23- Saw-5 - 8
24- Saw-6 - 9.5
25- Inside - 10
26- Saw-7 3D - 9.5
27- Frontiers - 10

never take life seriously
post #1279 of 10834 Old 10-30-2010, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Fright Night is so awesome. I hope the Team Douche and Team Pansy kiddies discover real vampires before they die. Real vampires take their women, none of this emo flip flopping. Real vampires will smoke your a** without question.
post #1280 of 10834 Old 10-30-2010, 11:59 AM

Quote:

Fright Night is so awesome. I hope the Team Douche and Team Pansy kiddies discover real vampires before they die. Real vampires take their women, none of this emo flip flopping. Real vampires will smoke your a** without question.

Was good to also have seen FRIGHT NIGHT II this season!
post #1281 of 10834 Old 10-30-2010, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'd agree with you Fenders on the quality of Rosemary's Baby, it definitely would push Amityville off the list. But that movie was released in the late 1960's. I was talking about the era and age I grew up in the 70s. None of the kids were talking about Rosemary's Baby, but everyone knew about The Exorcist, Jaws, Amityville, the Omen, etc.

Then all of those kids must be crazy-assed if they didn't talk about a movie that was made only 5 years before The Exorcist. Rosemary's Baby was released in 1968, Exorcist in 1973, and The Omen in 1976. Just because it's in a different decade doesn't mean that it's not to be tagged or even mentioned with the others, when in fact it's considered part of the others in nature, and in temporal proximity. The fact is, it has the same theme, which is why it's always tagged with The Exorcist and The Omen! The big apocalyptic three! Amityville Horror is trash compared, and it's a different sub-genre all together.

Last night-- Rosemary's Baby 9/10

Second viewing. One of the greatest horror movies ever made, and I believe my friend more than liked it too. There really aren't any negative aspects of this film. It's nearly perfection, and it stands right next to The Exorcist.
post #1282 of 10834 Old 10-30-2010, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I can't see doing 100 movies with my work schedule. The 40+ I got was due to not watching else the whole month, I think I watched the news in the morning and that was it, all other times was work or a horror flick. I'm not sure to be proud or ashamed

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

Be proud, Airboss is retired that's the only way he swings it. As much as I love horror movies I love Star Wars more and when I had some hardware removed from my femur I was laid up for a few weeks. One day it was really nast outside so some family and a friend came over and we watched Episodes I-VI which we started at 9am and finished around 11. That's about the daily schedule Airboss has in Oct.!

You guys are doing great this year, really wish I could have joined in! I'm going to have some catching up to do on my movie watching but it looks like it will be mid November before I'll have the time to sit and watch a movie. I'll be unpacking and getting settled until spring of 2011.

Yep, I was retired in 2009 but in 2008 I was still working , must say it was much easier in 2009.

The movers are coming 0800 Monday morning so I must have everything ready to go by Sunday evening, that will give me some time Sunday night so I plan on watching "The Walking Dead", guess I'll get in one horror movie for the month.

"Marines have no qualms about killing Martians"

2011 List

2009 List

2008 List
post #1283 of 10834 Old 10-30-2010, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

post #1284 of 10834 Old 10-30-2010, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

44. The Devil's Rejects, 2005. Not so much a horror flick by my rules but a great flick with great characters. I dug the cinematography and soundtrack. 3/5

Might as well add it

The wife wants to go see Saw 3D tonight so I'll add that one too.
post #1285 of 10834 Old 10-30-2010, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

34. Sleepaway Camp (first-time viewing)
Oh man, what a discovery this movie was! I can't recall the last time I laughed so hard at a movie that was not intended to be a comedy! Some people might say this is one of those "so bad it's good" movies, and that is true to some extent, but it goes beyond just being bad. It is entertaining for so many reasons. The bad acting and the tasteless script is just part of it. The whole 80's retro thing is funny too--so many bad outfits in one place. And as for the ending, you'll think you know what the ending of this movie is, but you're wrong, you're totally wrong. No one in a million years could guess the ending of this movie!

1. Severance (FTV)
3. The Howling
5. Frankenstein (1931)
8. Lifeforce (FTV)
10. The Shining
12. Don't Look Now
13. The Manitou (FTV)
15. Pet Sematary
17. The Orphanage
18. Trick 'r Treat
19. Ginger Snaps (FTV)
21. The Devil's Rejects
24. Teeth (FTV)
25. Grace (FTV)
26. The Mist (B&W)
27. The Lost (FTV)
29. Inferno (FTV)
31. The Omen (1976)
32. Frozen (FTV)
33. Fright Night
34. Sleepaway Camp (FTV)

post #1286 of 10834 Old 10-30-2010, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

45. Saw 3D, 2010. Didn't need the 3D. Plenty of gore and I think it had a plot. Nice technical execution of kills. 2/5
post #1287 of 10834 Old 10-30-2010, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Bob McLaughlin, that trilogy is on MGM HD right now. I missed part 1 due to Saw 3D so we'll check out part 2. It's been years since I've seen them.
post #1288 of 10834 Old 10-30-2010, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Frontier(s)

This one makes the Saw franchise look like "The Feel-Good Movies of the Year." Pretty disturbing throughout. We've all seen the films with the crazy family dinner scenes (Texas Chainsaw, etc.). This one takes those to a whole new level. This movie is tough to rate because, while I didn't find it too terribly gruesome (it was) or suspenseful (it was that too), it came across as being way too disturbing for me. And that's saying something.

My gut says this one is a 7/10 although my brain wants to rate it higher.
post #1289 of 10834 Old 10-30-2010, 10:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Frontieres is good stuff. Probably somewhere between yankeeman and BMaugansfor for me.

Today we did the Asbury Park NJ Zombie Walk. I'm sooo friggin tired right now. Then a Halloween party afterwards. I'm counting my viewing of "Thriller" @ the party as my horror for the day.

Apparently we broke the zombie gathering world record with at least 4,092 zombies. Incredible day! Pics coming soon.....and they are GOOD!

The above post is 100% medically accurate

31 Days of Horror:

post #1290 of 10834 Old 10-30-2010, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member

46. Sleepaway Camp 2, 1988. Formulaic slasher with tons of fun. Pokes fun at other teen slasher flicks like Nightmare on Elm Street. Angela's one liners and dead pan delivery are highlights. 2/5
47. Sleepaway Camp 3, 1990. Formualic slasher with tons of fun. Pokes fun at other teen slasher flicks Friday the 13th. More great one liners and social commentary. 2/5
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page