October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....) - Page 469 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2397Likes
post #14041 of 14064 Old Yesterday, 04:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked: 1218
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
I liked it.
Putting into queue...

Quote:
Basically everyone over the age of 22 dies which leaves the youth in charge.
Sounds very (too) familiar.

Ms. Oink and I are binging Hemlock Grove.
Watched thru Ep. 7.
I like how the story's pace isn't anemic (unlike sooo many other series).
Anyway, really enjoying it.
There are 2 seasons available.
The 3rd (final) season should be out shortly.

Only girly-men push The Red Button.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14042 of 14064 Old Yesterday, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1449 Post(s)
Liked: 2542
The upgrade bug (there's a horror movie in the making right there) done bit me again. Went out and got me a new pre/pro.

Take life with a grain of salt... a slice of lime, and a shot of tequila
post #14043 of 14064 Old Yesterday, 10:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Streamed [REC]4 tonite.
Really enjoyed...a good addition to the series.

post #14044 of 14064 Old Today, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Watched a movie on SyFy yesterday that i had on the dvr, now i cant even remember the name of it. I guess that shows what i thought of it.

Premise was people were going nuts and killing themselves due to chemicals being sent out ON PURPOSE by plants!!!! Far from a good movie, but sure had a new premise. Only decent scene was when two young boys got shot and killed, that usually doesnt happen in movies.

Zooey Deschanel was in it, not her best acting!!!

never take life seriously
post #14045 of 14064 Old Today, 06:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew24963 View Post
Would You Rather 2013 has been added to Netflix WI. Will check this out.
Quote:
I liked it.

Caught this on HBO last year. It was a nice little surprise.
post #14046 of 14064 Old Today, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post
Premise was people were going nuts and killing themselves due to chemicals being sent out ON PURPOSE by plants!!!!
That sounds like "The Happening".
post #14047 of 14064 Old Today, 06:56 AM
Advanced Member

2 off-topic random thoughts:

1) I came to the realization that I really miss Blockbuster. This is not a new thought, because I've already processed through this....but not only do I miss being able to get my hands on new releases the day they are released but there are times when I really wish I could go to an actual video store and browse through the titles in the store. I miss that. Its just not the same clicking through titles on my computer. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate what Netflix brings to the table (I have streaming and mail service) but there is simply no comparison between the two services.

2) Does anybody in this thread have any experience with bass shakers? I used to think that they were nothing but a gimmick but for some reason, I started thinking about ways to upgrade my media room and bass shakers came to mind. Any thoughts or experiences???
GoCaboNow and BornSlippyZ like this.
post #14048 of 14064 Old Today, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloCreed View Post

1) I came to the realization that I really miss Blockbuster. This is not a new thought, because I've already processed through this....but not only do I miss being able to get my hands on new releases the day they are released but there are times when I really wish I could go to an actual video store and browse through the titles in the store. I miss that. Its just not the same clicking through titles on my computer. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate what Netflix brings to the table (I have streaming and mail service) but there is simply no comparison between the two services.

I've said this the past two weekends. I really miss our Movie Gallery.
ApolloCreed likes this.

"When crazy is standard, sane needs a name tag."
post #14049 of 14064 Old Today, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
The upgrade bug (there's a horror movie in the making right there) done bit me again. Went out and got me a new pre/pro.

Dude congrats! My 40th is coming up and I think this would fit the bill!
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post
Streamed [REC]4 tonite.
Really enjoyed...a good addition to the series.
I watched this a few weeks ago and it was great!
Quote:

2) Does anybody in this thread have any experience with bass shakers? I used to think that they were nothing but a gimmick but for some reason, I started thinking about ways to upgrade my media room and bass shakers came to mind. Any thoughts or experiences???
I also miss video stores!!! My favorite one was when I was living in the Bay Area (Bradley Video). They pretty much had every new movie and a ton of foreign films. On Friday they would have hot wings and soda free for customers, along with fresh popped popcorn everyday. I think at one time I belonged to multiple video stores because they all offered different things as well as different formats.

I see a lot of people using bass shakers to add bass and the price is really inexpensive as far as upgrades go. I have been curious about them but never pulled the trigger on them. It would be cool to mount them under the couch and watch people reaction to the shaking.
ApolloCreed likes this.

October HorrorFest Participant
post #14050 of 14064 Old Today, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
I believe thats it!! Thanks.

post #14051 of 14064 Old Today, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I agree completely, loved going to a store. For me as a baseball card collector, its the same thing. Even though I really enjoy searching Ebay for cards, I love to go to a card show or store. But the stores are gone and the show is once a month now.
ApolloCreed likes this.

post #14052 of 14064 Old Today, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Liked: 711
Years ago there was a video store in the plaza by my house.It was owned by a couple of young guys and they carried all kinds of off the wall movies.Every Friday my friend and I would pick through their store ,lookig for some obscure stuff.That's where I got my first taste of David Lynch with an Eraserhead and Blue Velvet double feature.Really enjoyed doing that.
ApolloCreed likes this.
post #14053 of 14064 Old Today, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked: 397
Quote:

Yeah, I miss those days too.

Bass shakers are a bit of a mixed bag for me. I hooked up two in my theater for a couple of years and guests, especially the ladies, really got a kick out of them as they made sure to get one of the two chairs with the shakers.

Originally, I just had them hooked straight up to the LFE output and they really worked vibrating the chair. As time went on, and I became a bit more discerning, I felt they would kick in too much. Building fall over - Cool, the chair vibrates. Basketball player bricks front rim on a free throw...and the chair vibrates. TV was weird how many things would send a signal to the shakers. Then when I put in a fairly cabable IB subwoofer system the shakers would mask a bit of the beauty of the pure sound, and vibration, from the IB. So I ended up disconnecting them.

Now, if one is not going to get psychotic with their subwoofers, treatments etc. Or, if your setup means that everyone in the household gets to enjoy your woofage, than the shakers are beneficial imo. But, I would strongly suggest looking into a low pass filter. You do a "T" cable out of your AVR. One to your existing sub and the other to the Amp that powers the shakers. Going from the "T" to the shaker amp you slide the low pass filter in the chain so it cuts out any signal above 30hz, 40hz, 80 whatever. I feel mid base is 50-80hz. Mid bass is what kicks you in the chest at a rock concert. ( Or a Momma's and Pappa's concert for OINK). My seating starts to vibrate around 30hz. Around 20hz and below the chair frame has more of a twisting feel to it. Again, all about how psychotic you want to be.

Anywho, you can play around with it and see if it is vibrating too much or not in a way that represents the action on screen and then see about a low pass filter.
I have two of these that I hooked up to an old Onkyo receiever I had laying around and that could have contributed to the over active nature of the shakers.
http://www.parts-express.com/aurasou...ducer--299-028

All my experience is 6-7 years old so YMMV compared to how you can control the signal today?

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #14054 of 14064 Old Today, 10:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post
Or a Momma's and Pappa's concert for OINK?
Hey!
The M&P rock, dude!
GoCaboNow likes this.

post #14055 of 14064 Old Today, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post
Dude congrats! My 40th is coming up and I think this would fit the bill!
Cabo will be more than happy to write that bday check. His checkbook is phat.

Quote:

I agree. Miss the video stores too. To quote Bobby Dylan, the times they are a changing.

Quote:
Or a Momma's and Pappa's concert for OINK
Mama Cass did choke on a ham sammich. Coincidence? I think not.
ApolloCreed and GoCaboNow like this.

post #14056 of 14064 Old Today, 10:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Mama Cass did choke on a ham sammich. Coincidence? I think not.
The obvious lesson there is stick to beef and chicken.

post #14057 of 14064 Old Today, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post
Hey!
The M&P rock, dude!
Lol, I gues you are right. Just about any live music is cool.

In my continuing effort to be 5-6 months behind everyone on this thread, I got in Wolf Creek 2 last night. This was pretty fun. While not entirely what I normally look for, I thought it was well done and different enough from the first to feel fresh, even as a part two. The interaction with the police at the begining was particularly fun, as you knew the stereotypical bad cops were going to get their due, or more.
Spoiler!

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #14058 of 14064 Old Today, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post
I also miss video stores!!! My favorite one was when I was living in the Bay Area (Bradley Video). They pretty much had every new movie and a ton of foreign films. On Friday they would have hot wings and soda free for customers, along with fresh popped popcorn everyday. I think at one time I belonged to multiple video stores because they all offered different things as well as different formats.
Their store in Concord? Did you ever go to Einstein Video in Pleasant Hill? Ray was good at getting in rare titles and ones from outside the country.

"Woman in Black 2" has some good chills in it. There and a half broken dolls.

I met Cass Elliot once but she wasn't eating a ham sandwich but she was smoking a Sherman.
post #14059 of 14064 Old Today, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
Their store in Concord? Did you ever go to Einstein Video in Pleasant Hill? Ray was good at getting in rare titles and ones from outside the country.

"Woman in Black 2" has some good chills in it. There and a half broken dolls.

I met Cass Elliot once but she wasn't eating a ham sandwich but she was smoking a Sherman.
I mainly visited the stores in/around SJ, because we lived in Campbell then.

October HorrorFest Participant
post #14060 of 14064 Unread Today, 03:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yeah, I miss those days too.

Bass shakers are a bit of a mixed bag for me. I hooked up two in my theater for a couple of years and guests, especially the ladies, really got a kick out of them as they made sure to get one of the two chairs with the shakers.

Originally, I just had them hooked straight up to the LFE output and they really worked vibrating the chair. As time went on, and I became a bit more discerning, I felt they would kick in too much. Building fall over - Cool, the chair vibrates. Basketball player bricks front rim on a free throw...and the chair vibrates. TV was weird how many things would send a signal to the shakers. Then when I put in a fairly cabable IB subwoofer system the shakers would mask a bit of the beauty of the pure sound, and vibration, from the IB. So I ended up disconnecting them.

Now, if one is not going to get psychotic with their subwoofers, treatments etc. Or, if your setup means that everyone in the household gets to enjoy your woofage, than the shakers are beneficial imo. But, I would strongly suggest looking into a low pass filter. You do a "T" cable out of your AVR. One to your existing sub and the other to the Amp that powers the shakers. Going from the "T" to the shaker amp you slide the low pass filter in the chain so it cuts out any signal above 30hz, 40hz, 80 whatever. I feel mid base is 50-80hz. Mid bass is what kicks you in the chest at a rock concert. ( Or a Momma's and Pappa's concert for OINK). My seating starts to vibrate around 30hz. Around 20hz and below the chair frame has more of a twisting feel to it. Again, all about how psychotic you want to be.

Anywho, you can play around with it and see if it is vibrating too much or not in a way that represents the action on screen and then see about a low pass filter.
I have two of these that I hooked up to an old Onkyo receiever I had laying around and that could have contributed to the over active nature of the shakers.
http://www.parts-express.com/aurasou...ducer--299-028

All my experience is 6-7 years old so YMMV compared to how you can control the signal today?

What I had planned without really diving into the research was to run them off of my LFE Outs from my subs to the shaker amp. I would likely use an amp that as has a variable crossover so I could play with the spot that blends well with my subs and sounds as realistic as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post

One of the most craptastic movies I've seen in the past several years. Isn't Wayward Pines a Shyamalan effort as well? I like the cast and the show looks interesting but M Night's involvement has me a little skeptical....with good reason.
post #14061 of 14064 Unread Today, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 563
Quote:
Isn't Wayward Pines a Shyamalan effort as well? I like the cast and the show looks interesting but M Night's involvement has me a little skeptical....with good reason.
M. Night Shyamalan is listed as the director. I have the first three episodes recorded but I haven't watched any of them yet.
post #14062 of 14064 Unread Today, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

The Happening is not only the worst movie ever made on earth, but the worst movie ever made in the universe! Killer shrubs, man. Stay ahead of the wind. Lol

Wayward Pines is a 10 episode series based off the books by Crouch. Shama-lama-ding-dong is a producer and only directed the first episode. It's actually not too bad. Good cast.

post #14063 of 14064 Unread Today, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Liked: 711
Quote:
The Happening is not only the worst movie ever made on earth, but the worst movie ever made in the universe! Killer shrubs, man. Stay ahead of the wind. Lol
It wasn't really that bad. With Mark What's his name bringing his superior talents.....uhhh, never mind.
post #14064 of 14064 Unread Today, 06:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew24963 View Post
It wasn't really that bad. With Mark What's his name bringing his superior talents.....uhhh, never mind.

Shoot, I have no problems at all with Mark W. In fact, I really enjoy a lot of his movies. The Crappening was all M Night's doing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page