October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....) - Page 499 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 2649Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #14941 of 14964 Old 08-03-2015, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Waboman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Terraforming Planet Wabo
Posts: 9,335
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1933 Post(s)
Liked: 3583
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post
Lol, I did watch Prince of Darkness. It was a bit inconsistent for me. I loved the eery box in the basement and survivalist action from within and without. The 80's vibe was strong in this as well. It has been a while, but the ending was anticlimactic for me? I do need to get to Mouth of Madness though...
I'm a sucka for 80's movies and love Prince of Darkness. You have Egg Shen and half of Simon & Simon. What's not to like?
GoCaboNow and BornSlippyZ like this.

__________________________________________________

Take life with a grain of salt... a slice of lime, and a shot of tequila
Waboman is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #14942 of 14964 Old 08-03-2015, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
BornSlippyZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Minnesota!
Posts: 2,121
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked: 439
I love all of Carpenters work and sadly it really wasn't appreciated by the masses when the films debuted, now days I think most folks really enjoy his films.

Not really horror but Big Trouble in Little China is a fun movie as well!
GoCaboNow likes this.

October HorrorFest Participant
BornSlippyZ is offline  
post #14943 of 14964 Old 08-03-2015, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
BornSlippyZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Minnesota!
Posts: 2,121
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
I'm a sucka for 80's movies and love Prince of Darkness. You have Egg Shen and half of Simon & Simon. What's not to like?
Man, even the shows that came on the TV were better then than the stuff they show now!

October HorrorFest Participant
BornSlippyZ is offline  
post #14944 of 14964 Old 08-03-2015, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
GoCaboNow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,376
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Lol, was going to use the Simon & Simon reference but did not think anyone would get it.

The Escape movies made me revisit Big Trouble as well. Probably had not seen it since the early 90's. Slippy is right on. Carpenter rocks!

Location: Beaverton, Oregon
My Dedicated Home Theater Room
GoCaboNow is offline  
post #14945 of 14964 Old 08-03-2015, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
General Kenobi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kalifornistan
Posts: 6,080
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Is anyone planning to hit Halloween Horror Nights at either of the Universal parks this year? My kids will be with my ex Halloween weekend so I'm thinking of trying to make it this year. Been drooling over it for a while now, especially the AWIL haunt from last year.
BornSlippyZ likes this.

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

 

2012

2011

2010

2009

General Kenobi is offline  
post #14946 of 14964 Old 08-03-2015, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Waboman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Terraforming Planet Wabo
Posts: 9,335
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1933 Post(s)
Liked: 3583
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post
Man, even the shows that came on the TV were better then than the stuff they show now!
Matt Houston, The Fall Guy, Magnum, P.I. That my friend is the golden age of television.

Big Trouble is a classic. Carpenter and Russell made great movies together, with the exception of Escape from LA. You hear they're thinking of remaking Big Trouble with The Rock as Jack Burton.
GoCaboNow likes this.

__________________________________________________

Take life with a grain of salt... a slice of lime, and a shot of tequila
Waboman is online now  
post #14947 of 14964 Old 08-03-2015, 03:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 31,230
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2529 Post(s)
Liked: 1610
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

The Escape movies made me revisit Big Trouble as well. Probably had not seen it since the early 90's. Slippy is right on. Carpenter rocks!
BTILC is a classic and Carpenter's Best (IMO).



Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
Matt Houston, The Fall Guy, Magnum, P.I. That my friend is the golden age of television.
You are so wrong I don't know where to start....

Space For Rent
oink is offline  
post #14948 of 14964 Old 08-03-2015, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Waboman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Terraforming Planet Wabo
Posts: 9,335
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1933 Post(s)
Liked: 3583
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post
You are so wrong I don't know where to start....
I realize you're from the silent era of tv/movies. So let me rephrase, the golden age of talkies.

__________________________________________________

Take life with a grain of salt... a slice of lime, and a shot of tequila
Waboman is online now  
post #14949 of 14964 Old 08-03-2015, 04:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 31,230
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2529 Post(s)
Liked: 1610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
I realize you're from the silent era of tv/movies. So let me rephrase, the golden age of talkies.
Pfffft...

Space For Rent
oink is offline  
post #14950 of 14964 Old 08-03-2015, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tenthplanet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Posts: 1,848
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Speaking of Carpenter, if you want to see one of his most disturbing films, check out The Masters of Horror episode called 'Cigarette Burns'. It's better than some of his movies.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
tenthplanet is offline  
post #14951 of 14964 Old 08-03-2015, 10:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Waboman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Terraforming Planet Wabo
Posts: 9,335
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1933 Post(s)
Liked: 3583
Not familiar with Carpenter's Cigarette Burns. Will have to look it up. On another note, watched Mega Shark vs Kolossus tonight. Not bad. Moves kinda slow and takes itself seriously for one of these kinds of movies. Strangely enough it works. For one of these kinds of movies that is.



__________________________________________________

Take life with a grain of salt... a slice of lime, and a shot of tequila
Waboman is online now  
post #14952 of 14964 Old 08-03-2015, 10:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 31,230
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2529 Post(s)
Liked: 1610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
On another note, watched Mega Shark vs Kolossus tonight. Not bad. Moves kinda slow and takes itself seriously for one of these kinds of movies. Strangely enough it works. For one of these kinds of movies that is.

Yeah, I enjoyed this too.

Space For Rent
oink is offline  
post #14953 of 14964 Old Yesterday, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member
 
BornSlippyZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Minnesota!
Posts: 2,121
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post
Is anyone planning to hit Halloween Horror Nights at either of the Universal parks this year? My kids will be with my ex Halloween weekend so I'm thinking of trying to make it this year. Been drooling over it for a while now, especially the AWIL haunt from last year.
Hey dude long time no hear!

I wish I was going to Universal for that! It would be pretty cool! Knotts was pretty fun for Halloween as well!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
Matt Houston, The Fall Guy, Magnum, P.I. That my friend is the golden age of television.

Big Trouble is a classic. Carpenter and Russell made great movies together, with the exception of Escape from LA. You hear they're thinking of remaking Big Trouble with The Rock as Jack Burton.
Magnum is a classic and I sometimes catch old episodes on tv.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
Speaking of Carpenter, if you want to see one of his most disturbing films, check out The Masters of Horror episode called 'Cigarette Burns'. It's better than some of his movies.
Yeah that one is good! I believe it is for rent on Netflix!

October HorrorFest Participant
BornSlippyZ is offline  
post #14954 of 14964 Old Yesterday, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member
 
General Kenobi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kalifornistan
Posts: 6,080
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post
Hey dude long time no hear!

I wish I was going to Universal for that! It would be pretty cool! Knotts was pretty fun for Halloween as well!

Magnum is a classic and I sometimes catch old episodes on tv.

Yeah that one is good! I believe it is for rent on Netflix!
Yeah, been crazy busy with work and summer fun.

I would have thought oink would love at least a few shows from the "golden age", like hmmm, maybe Manimal

The gf wanted to watch something scary last night and picked Wrong Turn from my library. It had been a while since I'd seen it but apart from the few scenes with dated cheesy cg that is a pretty solid movie, I enjoyed watching it again. Makes me excited for October. Last year I was hip deep in life drama so hardly watched anything in October, really looking forward to making up for lost time this year!
BornSlippyZ likes this.

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

 

2012

2011

2010

2009

General Kenobi is offline  
post #14955 of 14964 Old Yesterday, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member
 
GoCaboNow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,376
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
Not familiar with Carpenter's Cigarette Burns. Will have to look it up. On another note, watched Mega Shark vs Kolossus tonight. Not bad. Moves kinda slow and takes itself seriously for one of these kinds of movies. Strangely enough it works. For one of these kinds of movies that is.


THIS is a cool poster!!
Right up there with Manborg and Abe Lincoln Vs Zombies for me.

Location: Beaverton, Oregon
My Dedicated Home Theater Room
GoCaboNow is offline  
post #14956 of 14964 Old Yesterday, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Brian Conrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Martinez, CA, USA
Posts: 4,873
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Carpenter's "The Ward" with Amber Heard is a good watch too. They actually shot it at the abandoned Eastern Washington State Hospital which was also used for scenes in "Z Nation." In the commentary with Carpenter and Jared Harris, Harris has to keep bringing Carpenter back to discussing the movie as Carpenter wanted to know about growing up with Richard Harris.
Brian Conrad is offline  
post #14957 of 14964 Old Yesterday, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
General Kenobi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kalifornistan
Posts: 6,080
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 469
These have probably already been posted but here are a few I recently added to my queue (nf streaming).

The Canal


Here Comes the Devil


The Road


My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

 

2012

2011

2010

2009

General Kenobi is offline  
post #14958 of 14964 Old Yesterday, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ApolloCreed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: MN
Posts: 1,004
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post
I liked LD and wish I never sold my player/discs.

At the time on my sony 32" wega tv LD movies looked fantastic and sounded phenomenal! I later bought that 300lbs 40" sony tv and it was pretty impressive to watch movies on! My LD player played DVD's at the time but dvd's in the 1996-1998 didn't look better than my LD movies. My only issue was that I didn't make enough money then to afford all the LDs that I wanted, but luckily I had a few stores that rented them out.

I remember when I bought my first "flat" screen tv (Samsung DLP) and I sold my 36" Wega to a buddy. It was the dead of winter and I lived in an apartment with an outdoor 45 degree angle stairway. We had 4 guys grab a corner and we tried to safely lug that monster down to his truck. Wow, what a treacherous operation that was! We made it with no damage to the tv (a friggin miracle) and only a few minor cuts and scrapes to our hands.
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post
Yeah, been crazy busy with work and summer fun.

I would have thought oink would love at least a few shows from the "golden age", like hmmm, maybe Manimal

The gf wanted to watch something scary last night and picked Wrong Turn from my library. It had been a while since I'd seen it but apart from the few scenes with dated cheesy cg that is a pretty solid movie, I enjoyed watching it again. Makes me excited for October. Last year I was hip deep in life drama so hardly watched anything in October, really looking forward to making up for lost time this year!

Wrong Turn is 100% legit. Good choice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post
These have probably already been posted but here are a few I recently added to my queue (nf streaming).

The Canal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tt6C_X_8wA

Here Comes the Devil

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaZsjGPwMxo

The Road

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sscH-nreDlw

The Canal is also pretty good. Haven't seen the other two. I initially thought that I had seen Here Comes the Devil but I confused it with Bedevilled (which is a pretty ruthless movie in itself)
ApolloCreed is offline  
post #14959 of 14964 Old Yesterday, 03:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 31,230
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2529 Post(s)
Liked: 1610
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post
I would have thought oink would love at least a few shows from the "golden age", like hmmm, maybe Manimal
Manimal rocked my pen, I can tell you that.


BTW, start frickin' posting MORE!
It ain't the same with you not here.



Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloCreed View Post
I remember when I bought my first "flat" screen tv (Samsung DLP) and I sold my 36" Wega to a buddy. It was the dead of winter and I lived in an apartment with an outdoor 45 degree angle stairway. We had 4 guys grab a corner and we tried to safely lug that monster down to his truck. Wow, what a treacherous operation that was! We made it with no damage to the tv (a friggin miracle) and only a few minor cuts and scrapes to our hands.
When I bought my 36" Wega HD CRT, I carried it up 2 flights of stairs by myself.
When I gave it away to my in-laws I tried to carry it up one flight...and it ended in tears.
In the interim, I had actually lost that much strength.
ApolloCreed likes this.

Space For Rent
oink is offline  
post #14960 of 14964 Old Yesterday, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
BornSlippyZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Minnesota!
Posts: 2,121
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post
Manimal rocked my pen, I can tell you that.


BTW, start frickin' posting MORE!
It ain't the same with you not here.



When I bought my 36" Wega HD CRT, I carried it up 2 flights of stairs by myself.
When I gave it away to my in-laws I tried to carry it up one flight...and it ended in tears.
In the interim, I had actually lost that much strength.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloCreed View Post
I remember when I bought my first "flat" screen tv (Samsung DLP) and I sold my 36" Wega to a buddy. It was the dead of winter and I lived in an apartment with an outdoor 45 degree angle stairway. We had 4 guys grab a corner and we tried to safely lug that monster down to his truck. Wow, what a treacherous operation that was! We made it with no damage to the tv (a friggin miracle) and only a few minor cuts and scrapes to our hands.



Wrong Turn is 100% legit. Good choice!




The Canal is also pretty good. Haven't seen the other two. I initially thought that I had seen Here Comes the Devil but I confused it with Bedevilled (which is a pretty ruthless movie in itself)
Funny you guys said that because right before I got out of the military, I decided it would be a good idea to move back on base and save some cash. Well I had that huge sony tv and I was moving to the 3rd floor of the barracks. I am not a big guy at all and I had some big dudes help carry up my tv for a beer. Took four of us and we were just beat after that, I felt bad about the beer deal because they deserved more so I treated them to some pizza that day. Those things were huge!!

Another thing is I think my 50" Panny's input board (HdMI board probably) might be going out after all of these moves. I really don't want to buy a tv because I love my plasma but I will be at the mall of america so I will be checking out some tv's (BestBuy) just in case.


+1 on the Canal that movie was pretty damn good! I need to check out the other two soon!

I did start watching The Pyramid that I rented from NF on bd. So far it isn't bad and some decent bass through out the movie so far.

October HorrorFest Participant
BornSlippyZ is offline  
post #14961 of 14964 Old Yesterday, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Waboman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Terraforming Planet Wabo
Posts: 9,335
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1933 Post(s)
Liked: 3583
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post
Is anyone planning to hit Halloween Horror Nights at either of the Universal parks this year? My kids will be with my ex Halloween weekend so I'm thinking of trying to make it this year. Been drooling over it for a while now, especially the AWIL haunt from last year.
I wish. I'll be stuck handing out candy to all the lil' heathens. Messing up my yard.
Spoiler!

__________________________________________________

Take life with a grain of salt... a slice of lime, and a shot of tequila
Waboman is online now  
post #14962 of 14964 Old Yesterday, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ApolloCreed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: MN
Posts: 1,004
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post
When I bought my 36" Wega HD CRT, I carried it up 2 flights of stairs by myself.
When I gave it away to my in-laws I tried to carry it up one flight...and it ended in tears.
In the interim, I had actually lost that much strength.

. Getting old is sooooo much fun.....


Yeah, the kicker in my situation was the angle of the stairway. After work, I drive by my old apartment on the way to my current home and I'm thinking I was mistaken. Its more like 60 degrees. We thought it was a good idea to use 4 guys (because there was snow and ice on the stairs) but the stairway wasn't wide enough to accommodate all of us. It ended up being 2 guys shouldering most of the load with two guys walking with us to help in case that beast started to fall.
ApolloCreed is offline  
post #14963 of 14964 Old Yesterday, 10:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 31,230
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2529 Post(s)
Liked: 1610
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post
Funny you guys said that because right before I got out of the military, I decided it would be a good idea to move back on base and save some cash. Well I had that huge sony tv and I was moving to the 3rd floor of the barracks. I am not a big guy at all and I had some big dudes help carry up my tv for a beer. Took four of us and we were just beat after that, I felt bad about the beer deal because they deserved more so I treated them to some pizza that day. Those things were huge!!
IIRC, mine was listed at ~130 lbs.

Quote:
Another thing is I think my 50" Panny's input board (HdMI board probably) might be going out after all of these moves. I really don't want to buy a tv because I love my plasma but I will be at the mall of america so I will be checking out some tv's (BestBuy) just in case.
It's time to replace my Panny Plasma too.
The thing weighs too much and uses too much juice.

These days it's easy to get a 50" UHD for under $1K.
Heck, I saw a Proscan advertised last week for $499.

Quote:
+1 on the Canal that movie was pretty damn good!
In my queue.

Space For Rent
oink is offline  
post #14964 of 14964 Old Today, 12:18 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Waboman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Terraforming Planet Wabo
Posts: 9,335
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1933 Post(s)
Liked: 3583
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post
Another thing is I think my 50" Panny's input board (HdMI board probably) might be going out after all of these moves. I really don't want to buy a tv because I love my plasma but I will be at the mall of america so I will be checking out some tv's (BestBuy) just in case.
We have a Panny plasma in the family room. It's the tv the wife and kids use most. Man, that thing is bullet proof. With the abuse it takes. I feel bad for it. Lol.

Quote:
I did start watching The Pyramid that I rented from NF on bd. So far it isn't bad and some decent bass through out the movie so far.
How is it? I have it in my queue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post
These days it's easy to get a 50" UHD for under $1K.
Heck, I saw a Proscan advertised last week for $499.
Keep in mind you can cheapen technology, but you can't cheapen quality.

__________________________________________________

Take life with a grain of salt... a slice of lime, and a shot of tequila
Waboman is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off