October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....) - Page 508 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 6575Likes

Old 08-21-2015, 01:54 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5299 Post(s)
Liked: 3031
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post
Wabo? I always thought he treated folks well?
Not Lord Wabo, I was referring to Billy Joel Jacka$$.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
That ain't any $2 remote either as it has a mic on it so you don't have to type in things.
Fire TV box has the same remote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post

When we were moving some of the movers freaked out by a spider in the garage. Basically the spider made the work come to a stop but I went over, grabbed it with my bare hands and threw it in the bushes. These big mover guys thought I was nuts picking up spiders but it really doesn't bother me one bit.
LOL, people are so dumb when it comes to wildlife.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2015, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1381 Post(s)
Liked: 1023
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

LOL, people are so dumb when it comes to wildlife.
I just think folks were taught to fear those creatures but never really interacting with them when they were young.

I was a kid that had a huge field across the street from my home. I played (not torture or kill) with snakes, tarantulas, ants, the occasional gopher (they were mean) and stray dogs/cats. The best thing though was that I could ride my dirt bike with the big kids in that field. We even had wild life when I moved closer to L.A. (deer, coyotes and tarantulas) and loved that when I was young.
Old 08-21-2015, 02:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 3977 Post(s)
Liked: 8140
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post
As i have said before, i love my cable tv too. I want EVERY channel that i like available to me easily, and others (real sucky ones) for my wife too. Things like MLB and Velocity and Science and SyFy and so on. Stuff like HGTV and TLC for the wifey. Plus a ton of others, Nat Geo, and all the stations with all the horror stuff on them (regular shows, not talking about movies). F1 of course, and other auto racing, and all the auto auctions like Barrett-Jackson and Mecum, and i watch a ton of all kinds of live sports, and i could go on and on. Cable just gives me everything in one easy to use package, and without it, tv would be a horror to me!!
That sums it up for me too.

Quote:
Yep, they kill a lot of mosquitos which I don't like compared to spiders.

When we were moving some of the movers freaked out by a spider in the garage. Basically the spider made the work come to a stop but I went over, grabbed it with my bare hands and threw it in the bushes. These big mover guys thought I was nuts picking up spiders but it really doesn't bother me one bit.
It's funny how something so small can send tuff guys shivering. Funny story, I was in AZ and we were at the scenic lookout over Canyon Lake. It was hot as heck and we whooped it up the night before. I was sweating out a hangover. It was just us, this other couple in their late 20's and a tarantula. The guy takes off his flip-flop and swats the tarantula. He sees us looking at him dumbfounded. He says, "it's ok. I watched a show on Discovery channel about them. I just want to see its fangs." It was something out of a Hunter S. Thompson novel. We quietly got back into the car and left.

Quote:
Spoiler!
BornSlippyZ likes this.

Take life with a grain of salt... a slice of lime, and a shot of tequila
Old 08-21-2015, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 787 Post(s)
Liked: 644
Quote:
Yep, they kill a lot of mosquitos which I don't like compared to spiders.

Shiite. I would be scared too if it took HANDS to pick the dang thing up?
The northwest is pretty benign for bugs, but when I lived in AZ I saw things that would turn you white. Big a$$, prehistoric looking crawly things, not to mention the scorpions. (not the band Wabo) One time I went to move the garbage can out to the street and there was a wolf spider under it. Size of one of Oinks cats.
Quote:
Have you ever seen both in the same room?
BornSlippyZ likes this.

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
Old 08-21-2015, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Shiite. I would be scared too if it took HANDS to pick the dang thing up?
The northwest is pretty benign for bugs, but when I lived in AZ I saw things that would turn you white. Big a$$, prehistoric looking crawly things, not to mention the scorpions. (not the band Wabo) One time I went to move the garbage can out to the street and there was a wolf spider under it.
Yup, plenty of creepy crawlys in the desert.

Try riding a motorcycle at night in the summer time in AZ.
Fun fun fuuuun...

Quote:
Size of one of Oinks cats.
REALLY?!?
Spoiler!

Quote:
Uhhhh, no actually.
GoCaboNow and BornSlippyZ like this.
Old 08-21-2015, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

AZ has some terrific desert creatures!

I was out in AZ looking with a friend and he was looking into owning a rental home near Scottsdale. This home was a recent foreclosure and I was in shock how quickly the bugs/scorpions got inside. My friend ran out the door and back into the car. I was with the realtor and we just carried on with the tour. My friend ended up buying a home that weekend and it was one that was vacant but not full of the desert bugs!

Craziest bugs I have seen were in Africa! Good grief people weren't kidding when they say the jungle can kill you a 1000 different ways. My aircrew (my military days) always told me to throw a can of insecticide (with nerve agent mixed in the can) when we bedded the aircraft for the night. Next day there were a small pile of insects that died where the last bit of fresh air was. That stuff was nasty and could kill a human if you were stuck inside with the spray. The desert had some mean spiders but I saw them but didn't mess with them. I did see Marines pick up dead ones and put them in the beds of unsuspecting Marines as a joke ha!
oink likes this.
Old 08-21-2015, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1865 Post(s)
Liked: 1963
Living in S. Fla.we got all kinds of creepy stuff crawling around. Snakes don't bother me nor do the plethora of diffrent lizards,from Iguanas to these carnivorous curly tail lizards that have taken over my work shed and now we have some sort of beast that looks like a Komodo Dragon invading us. But those damn eight legged , web slinging things scare the bejeezus out of me.
oink, yankeeman, GoCaboNow and 1 others like this.
Old 08-21-2015, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew24963 View Post
Living in S. Fla.we got all kinds of creepy stuff crawling around. Snakes don't bother me nor do the plethora of diffrent lizards,from Iguanas to these carnivorous curly tail lizards that have taken over my work shed and now we have some sort of beast that looks like a Komodo Dragon invading us. But those damn eight legged , web slinging things scare the bejeezus out of me.
When I lived in the south I saw a ton of bugs and reptiles as in Alligators!

Luckily I only took my helmet off once when I rode my motorcycle for Daytona, had a bug slam to the back of my throat reminded me to always keep my helmet on and visor down, no matter how hot it was!
Old 08-21-2015, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

I can handle if I consciously have to move a snake, spider or whatever. What gets me is when the creepy crawly surprises me with it's presence. Look down and there is a harmless garder snake right at my feet when I mow the lawn - and is a little freaky.

Thankfully, we have been record hot and dry, this spring and summer, so I lost all my frogs in the back yard and now no snakes either.

Old 08-21-2015, 03:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 3977 Post(s)
Liked: 8140
Quote:
not to mention the scorpions. (not the band Wabo)
Those critters will rock you like a hurricane.

Quote:
So you're on the old swines payroll now? I see how it is.

Take life with a grain of salt... a slice of lime, and a shot of tequila
Old 08-21-2015, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I can handle if I consciously have to move a snake, spider or whatever. What gets me is when the creepy crawly surprises me with it's presence. Look down and there is a harmless garder snake right at my feet when I mow the lawn - and is a little freaky.

Thankfully, we have been record hot and dry, this spring and summer, so I lost all my frogs in the back yard and now no snakes either.
Yeah out west it has been unseasonably dry so the animals tend to move farther to find water/bugs to eat. Even out here I only noticed the mosquitos out only a few times.
Old 08-21-2015, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Snakes don't bother me nor do the plethora of diffrent lizards,from Iguanas to these carnivorous curly tail lizards that have taken over my work shed and now we have some sort of beast that looks like a Komodo Dragon invading us.
LOL, considering all of the invasive species in Florida these days, it's only a matter of time before some moron releases his pet Komodos into the Everglades.

Quote:
I did see Marines pick up dead ones and put them in the beds of unsuspecting Marines as a joke ha!
The good, the proud, the Marines.

Quote:
Luckily I only took my helmet off once when I rode my motorcycle for Daytona, had a bug slam to the back of my throat reminded me to always keep my helmet on and visor down, no matter how hot it was!
When I lived in Phoenix, I learned the same hard lesson.
Bees, wasps, unknown megabugs have bit and hit me...not to mentioned what I swallowed.

Quote:
After everyone else's testimonials, you had to go out and embarrass your fellow Oregonians?
You owe ME a beer...

Quote:
I do have a little garter snake still with me in the Rock Garden.
I named him "Gary" in April.
Always run into him when mowing.
Old 08-21-2015, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 397
Quote:
Same here Steve. I have no problems with snakes and our interesting lizards, but man, spiders totally freak me out, and i do mean TOTALLY!!!!
stevew24963 likes this.

never take life seriously
Old 08-21-2015, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post
Same here Steve. I have no problems with snakes and our interesting lizards, but man, spiders totally freak me out, and i do mean TOTALLY!!!!
Then don't go for a walk in a Hawaiian rain forest.
Old 08-22-2015, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Back in 1990 myself and 3 friends went to Guyana to race in the Caribbean Challange. The guy we stayed with had a diamond mine . He took us there one day. His advice was not to touch anything in the jungle ,it can and will kill you. The freaking spiders made Big Ass Spiders look like pets. I had no problem following instructions.
Old 08-22-2015, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Back in 1990 myself and 3 friends went to Guyana to race in the Caribbean Challange. The guy we stayed with had a diamond mine . He took us there one day. His advice was not to touch anything in the jungle ,it can and will kill you. The freaking spiders made Big Ass Spiders look like pets. I had no problem following instructions.
Guyana is one place I have never had a desire to see...for the very reason you mentioned.
I can't think of a worst nightmare than being lost there...
Old 08-22-2015, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked: 533
Quote:
Fire TV box has the same remote.
Yeah but does it cost $2? And does Fire TV play games? It's targeted to couch potatoes and couch porkers.

I just finished watching the 2014 Belgium series "Cordon" on Daily Motion which is being remade for the CW. It's about an area of Antwerp that gets cordoned off because of a virus attack. We'll have to see if the CW ruins it or improves on it.
Old 08-22-2015, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Quote:
LOL, considering all of the invasive species in Florida these days, it's only a matter of time before some moron releases his pet Komodos into the Everglades.

The good, the proud, the Marines.

When I lived in Phoenix, I learned the same hard lesson.
Bees, wasps, unknown megabugs have bit and hit me...not to mentioned what I swallowed.

After everyone else's testimonials, you had to go out and embarrass your fellow Oregonians?
You owe ME a beer...

I do have a little garter snake still with me in the Rock Garden.
I named him "Gary" in April.
Always run into him when mowing.
More specifically, you owe him a beer from 'Outer Planet'

"If you build it they will come.." Ok, what is this "It" you speak of and who, are they???! Do I want to know?...
Old 08-22-2015, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 901 Post(s)
Liked: 206
When kids act in R or NC-17 movies, are they allowed to view the finished product/movie?
Old 08-22-2015, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
Yeah but does it cost $2?
It's included in the price of the box.

Quote:
And does Fire TV play games?
Actually it does have a bunch of games (but I don't play).

Quote:
It's targeted to couch potatoes and couch porkers.
Yeah, true enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
LOL.
Old 08-22-2015, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
Accepted,in the meantime,enjoying a Fat Tire.
Old 08-22-2015, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Good man.

Today is $7 Growler Day!
Time to make a trip to the brewpub.
Old 08-22-2015, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Today is $7 Growler Day!
Time to make a trip to the brewpub.
I believe our conservative lawmakers finally passed a law allowing Growlers. Need more research on this,and another Fat Tire.
Old 08-22-2015, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Then don't go for a walk in a Hawaiian rain forest.
I will actually be there next weekend!
Quote:
Kinda reminds me of the Bot Fly stories of Central and South America. The flies lay their eggs in flesh and they have been know to lay them in the scalp of humans. The maggot has spikes on it so it takes surgery to remove the buggers. Google Bot Fly and look at the images. Stuff straight from horror movies!
Quote:
I had one this afternoon and now I am drinking a bottle of Rose'. Not bad wine but a little light for my tastes.

Oh and I cheated guys, I decided to RedBox It Follows last night instead of waiting till October to watch it. If you love a throw-backish type of teenager/young adult body horror movie you might like it!
Spoiler!
I do think folks that liked Under the Skin or other type of horror like that might appreciate this movie but honestly it could go either way. 3.5 Sex Zombies out of 5
Old 08-22-2015, 04:15 PM

Quote:
I believe our conservative lawmakers finally passed a law allowing Growlers.
If so, I fully encourage you to open a Growler Refill Station (or 3).
There is BIG bucks in it.

Quote:
I will actually be there next weekend!
You lucky devil!
Which island(s)?
Business or pleasure?
Old 08-22-2015, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm afraid profits maybe drank/drunk up.
Old 08-22-2015, 04:21 PM

Quote:
I'm afraid profits maybe drank/drunk up.
I can hold my own when it comes to the cold suds, but even I can't do that.
You are vastly underestimating the volume that can go thru one of those places.
Old 08-22-2015, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You lucky devil!
Which island(s)?
Business or pleasure?
Basically going for my cousins wedding since I am in it. But we got great prices on airfare so we are taking the family and making a vacation out of it! Island is Oahu but we are staying at the North Shore because we like the slower pace that side of the island has. Our favorite island is Maui but beggars can't be choosers. Going to be fun just to relax, eat and drink!

Growlers are those big jugs of beer right? IIRC, there were are are laws about growlers in both states I have recently live in. dunno what the deal is with the alcohol laws but someones palm needs greasing.
Old 08-22-2015, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Basically going for my cousins wedding since I am in it. But we got great prices on airfare so we are taking the family and making a vacation out of it! Island is Oahu but we are staying at the North Shore because we like the slower pace that side of the island has. Our favorite island is Maui but beggars can't be choosers. Going to be fun just to relax, eat and drink!

Growlers are those big jugs of beer right?
These things (holds 1 gallon):
Spoiler!

Quote:
IIRC, there were are are laws about growlers in both states I have recently live in.
Growler laws (if legal, not always) vary from state to state.
In some states, hard cider and/or wine is also legal.
In Oregon, it is big business, primarily because craft beer is so huge here.

Sending you a PM...
Old 08-22-2015, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

The end is nigh! Fires are burning from the Zombie Apocalypse!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement