October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....) - Page 532 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 6585Likes

post #15931 of 20941 Old 10-05-2015, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1382 Post(s)
Liked: 1025

extra post
GoCaboNow likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15932 of 20941 Old 10-05-2015, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1157 Post(s)
Liked: 534
Last night paranormal feature was "Altergeist" which is available on Hulu (might be an Epix title). Some of it was shot at the Korbel winery in Guereville. Thing is everyone says Hulu only does 720p no 1080p. But this to me (since I work with video) looked just as crisp and detailed as any SuperHD presentation on Netflix. Now this was with the Nvidia Shield Console which has a bunch of codecs on it including h.265. Hulu might have been experimenting. DD+ would be a nice addition too.

The film is okay and not a found footage film. I give it three and half bottles of Korbel.

It's supposed to cool down the next couple of days so I might try my hand at making cheese zombies using Fontina cheese which is a recommended replacement for Velveeta. Trader Joe's has domestic Fontina at a good price so I bought a wedge. They also seem to have domestic Roquefort since the FDA has banned importation of the French cheese. But I don't know about Roquefort zombies though it might seem appropriate.
post #15933 of 20941 Old 10-05-2015, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 903 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Will be watching Sleep Tight tomorrow night. It got awesome reviews.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1437358/
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/sleep_tight/

post #15934 of 20941 Old 10-05-2015, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1239 Post(s)
Liked: 1006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post
Will be watching Sleep Tight tomorrow night. It got awesome reviews.
I liked Sleep Tight. It was one of the first things I watched on Shudder.
Kain likes this.
post #15935 of 20941 Old 10-05-2015, 01:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 103
3. Return of the Living Dead III (1993) FTV 2.5
Found the disc and got it going. However, after all the trouble, I was subjected to a truly traumatizing experience: an edited version of an R-rated horror movie . The case had a runtime of 97 minutes listed, but the movie was actually 87 minutes. I'm not a snob about that sort of thing, but the movie relied on gore with an underlying love story. Without gore, it was just a half-assed love story. I needed the whole ass. Especially when the characters are reacted to stuff pretty directly, but the camera never quite gets there in time. The "horror" becomes a bunch of shots of people looking at stuff. Oh well. It was pretty good, and probably still better than the 2nd.

4. Housebound (2014) FTV 3.5
I thought this was pretty good, and an interesting take on the haunted house genre. The main character gets put on house arrest and has to spend several months at home with her mother...but the house is haunted!!! I won't get too far into the details and risk giving anything away. It's a horror-comedy, and leans pretty heavily toward the comedy side of things. It started to drag a little for me in the middle, but then ended strong with some laughs and gore.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sq_housebound.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	977641   Click image for larger version

Name:	housebound-620x400.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	977649  

__________________________________________________ ___________________

Horrorfest 2013 (in 2014)

Horrorfest 2014
post #15936 of 20941 Old 10-05-2015, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1865 Post(s)
Liked: 1969
Quote:
Originally Posted by tydq View Post
Found the disc and got it going. However, after all the trouble, I was subjected to a truly traumatizing experience: an edited version of an R-rated horror movie . The case had a runtime of 97 minutes listed, but the movie was actually 87 minutes. I'm not a snob about that sort of thing, but the movie relied on gore with an underlying love story. Without gore, it was just a half-assed love story. I needed the whole ass. Especially when the characters are reacted to stuff pretty directly, but the camera never quite gets there in time. The "horror" becomes a bunch of shots of people looking at stuff. Oh well. It was pretty good, and probably still better than the 2nd.

I thought this was pretty good, and an interesting take on the haunted house genre. The main character gets put on house arrest and has to spend several months at home with her mother...but the house is haunted!!! I won't get too far into the details and risk giving anything away. It's a horror-comedy, and leans pretty heavily toward the comedy side of things. It started to drag a little for me in the middle, but then ended strong with some laughs and gore.
I watched Housebound a few months back and found it to be be quite entertaining. A good watch.
post #15937 of 20941 Old 10-05-2015, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 787 Post(s)
Liked: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
Season finale of Fear the Walking Dead tonight.
This will be my horror fair for tonight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob McLaughlin View Post
4. Dark Was the Night (FTV)
When mysterious hoofed footprints and grisly deaths start occurring in a small woodsy Hamptons town, a grieving sheriff must overcome his personal demons to protect his town from a real one. Decent creature feature that rises above the usual B-movie stuff. Perhaps it takes itself a bit too seriously and could lighten up a bit (and the sound guy LOVED injecting LFE rumbles into a lot of shots for no apparent reason), but on the other hand, how often do you get good actors and deeply fleshed-out characters in a monster movie? Cool to see Lukas Haas (the Amish kid in Witness) all grown up and still acting.

3.5 out of 5 stars.

Bob's October 2015 Horror Movie List
FTV denotes first time viewing
1. The Baby's Room (LA HABITACIÓN DEL NIÑO) (FTV)
2. Our Mother's House (FTV)
3. Poltergeist (2015, in 3D) (FTV)
Added

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post
Ok, off to a rough start but I'm getting on my gameface now. Had to go to Mendocino for a camping wedding Thursday and got home last night... but did bring the portable dvd player and got in a few flicks!

2. Rawhead Rex - 3.5 meat stumps

3. Turistas - 4 gringo organs
This one is under appreciated in my book. Melissa George, Josh Duhamel, and some discount stand-ins get stranded after a bus crash in Brazil. Enjoying some drinks that were spiked and end up getting loured to the home practice of a mad doctor that harvests organs of tourists. Not too many twists in this one but more graphic than I expected when I first saw it and the pacing is done right to hold interest and deliver a solid flick on this sub genre.

4. [REC] 4 - 2 rabid zombie monkeys
I had higher hopes for this one seeing how it attempted to do what 3 did not which is continue the story after the apartment building and follow Angela. Unfortunately it just didn't deliver for me. The tried to connect this to REC 3 with a halfassed line from a doctor and really did nothing to develop what I thought was a solid and interesting story created in the first two. REC 4 is the story of Angela and her 2 rescuers on a ship where doctors are trying to identify the host of the virus and make an antidote. Obviously things take a turn for the worse but that's the case for the viewers as well.
A camping wedding? That sounds brutally alcoholic?
I haven't seen Rawhead Rex since forever. Kind of reminds me of Pumpkin Head.

I think it was you who recco'd Turistas to me a few years ago. Would that all horror flics had this kind of cast and quality production.

REC4 was set up for an Alice like KICK A$$ female protagonist but it was a dud. How does the cover have her holding an axe but she does NOTHING engaging in the movie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tydq View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew24963 View Post
I watched Housebound a few months back and found it to be be quite entertaining. A good watch.
House bound on tap later this mont for me as well.

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #15938 of 20941 Old 10-05-2015, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post
This will be my horror fair for tonight.

A camping wedding? That sounds brutally alcoholic?
I haven't seen Rawhead Rex since forever. Kind of reminds me of Pumpkin Head.

I think it was you who recco'd Turistas to me a few years ago. Would that all horror flics had this kind of cast and quality production.

REC4 was set up for an Alice like KICK A$$ female protagonist but it was a dud. How does the cover have her holding an axe but she does NOTHING engaging in the movie?
Yes, the camping wedding was uhh, dehydrating but in the plus column I became a master ax thrower so am looking forward even more to the zombie apocalypse.

REC 4 was a letdown but there's plenty of month left to make up for it and I'm ditching cable so looking forward to checking out some of the stuff on Shudder and Screambox, looks like a ton of great flicks there. I have The Cell recorded on my DVR so we are watching that tonight so I can turn it in.

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror: 
post #15939 of 20941 Old 10-05-2015, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
Last night paranormal feature was "Altergeist" which is available on Hulu (might be an Epix title). Some of it was shot at the Korbel winery in Guereville. Thing is everyone says Hulu only does 720p no 1080p. But this to me (since I work with video) looked just as crisp and detailed as any SuperHD presentation on Netflix. Now this was with the Nvidia Shield Console which has a bunch of codecs on it including h.265. Hulu might have been experimenting. DD+ would be a nice addition too.

The film is okay and not a found footage film. I give it three and half bottles of Korbel.

It's supposed to cool down the next couple of days so I might try my hand at making cheese zombies using Fontina cheese which is a recommended replacement for Velveeta. Trader Joe's has domestic Fontina at a good price so I bought a wedge. They also seem to have domestic Roquefort since the FDA has banned importation of the French cheese. But I don't know about Roquefort zombies though it might seem appropriate.
That movie does sound cool and you have piqued my interest in Hulu now with that new codec. I use NF regular HD and it looks pretty good most of the times on my screen so that codec on Hulu must look fantastic!

Speaking of food and Trader Joes, everyone I have spoken with outside of CA love Trader Joes and wish they would expand more. When I live in Ohio, we were near one and most Cincinnati folks drive from far distances (only TJ in town) to shop there. Now in MN, we have one but it is a bit of a drive for me now.

I also wanted to share that the Arby's Smoke House Jalepeno Brisket sandwich is probably one of the best sandwiches I have eaten at a fast-food joint! I highly recommended if you guys love Arby's.
stevew24963 likes this.

Last edited by BornSlippyZ; 10-05-2015 at 04:23 PM.
post #15940 of 20941 Old 10-05-2015, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 327
3. Night of the Demons (2009)- {3.5/5} BD I like this movie. Even despite its flaws (and there are many), this is a fun watch. The eye candy is off the charts, the music sequences are appropriately themed, there are some interesting and grotesque visuals and there's even some humor to make sure we know that it isn't taking itself too seriously. I've never seen the original so not sure about the comparison between the 2, but this is nice choice to get in the spirit of October. It also put us on to the song "Bloodletting" from Concrete Blonde. Good stuff.

Cocktail choice: Moscow Mule with a splash of homemade habanero simple syrup.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Night of the Demons.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	222.0 KB
ID:	977985  
post #15941 of 20941 Old 10-05-2015, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post
I also wanted to share that the Arby's Smoke House Jalepeno Brisket sandwich is probably one of the best sandwiches I have eaten at a fast-food joint! I highly recommended if you guys love Arby's.
I don't normally go to Arby's but my wife is in Bloomington at a nurse's convention and I've been left to fend for myself for a couple of days. I'm not much of a cook outside of manning the grill for various meats so my hunger/desperation led me to Arby's today after work. Had the smokehouse brisket sandwich (no jalapenos) and it was solid. No complaints at all except I could've done without the mayo.
BornSlippyZ likes this.
post #15942 of 20941 Old 10-05-2015, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloCreed View Post
I don't normally go to Arby's but my wife is in Bloomington at a nurse's convention and I've been left to fend for myself for a couple of days. I'm not much of a cook outside of manning the grill for various meats so my hunger/desperation led me to Arby's today after work. Had the smokehouse brisket sandwich (no jalapenos) and it was solid. No complaints at all except I could've done without the mayo.
Yeah that mayo was a surprise on that sandwich and it isn't on the jalapeño one!

That Moscow Mule drink sounds good! I got into drinking those things last winter!
post #15943 of 20941 Old 10-05-2015, 06:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 3978 Post(s)
Liked: 8166
Quote:
3. Night of the Demons (2009)- {3.5/5} BD I like this movie. Even despite its flaws (and there are many), this is a fun watch. The eye candy is off the charts, the music sequences are appropriately themed, there are some interesting and grotesque visuals and there's even some humor to make sure we know that it isn't taking itself too seriously. I've never seen the original so not sure about the comparison between the 2, but this is nice choice to get in the spirit of October. It also put us on to the song "Bloodletting" from Concrete Blonde. Good stuff.

I like the Demon movies. Although Edward Furlong is more frightening than any of the demons.

Dude, that Moscow Mule looks tasty. Love the copper mug too.

Quote:
Arby's is the fast food shizzle. They have the meats!
ApolloCreed likes this.

Take life with a grain of salt... a slice of lime, and a shot of tequila
post #15944 of 20941 Old 10-05-2015, 07:40 PM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 149
I just finished watching Axe (aka Greed) from 2006. Overall a mixed bag. More hormones than horror in this one, but in all fairness I kind of did like the dark haired girl in this movie. The main horror villain in this film is known as "The Axeman" and as far as horror movie villains go, he is pretty tame and not particularly memorable. This movie is hampered by a low budget, not-so-great acting, and kills that are on the weak side. As you may have guessed, most of the "horror" in this movie is in the axe murders. Despite it's flaws, the movie kept me interested enough to want to know how it would all end and I did get a laugh out loud moment at the very end of the movie! Overall I will give it a 2 out of 5 rating. I don't regret seeing it, but if I did watch it again, it probably wouldn't be for the story!
post #15945 of 20941 Old 10-05-2015, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Undead (2003) - A not so funny Australian horror comedy that is still somehow enjoyable. Zombies, acid rain and alien abductions are complimented by over the top kills with plenty of fake blood and gore. 3-1/2 zombie fish.
post #15946 of 20941 Old 10-05-2015, 08:39 PM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I'm totally in on this. Already started on the 1st and meant to post...

Friday The 13th Parts 1 - 5 so far and 6 is tonight (Jason Lives for those who don't know). October 1st I also partook in the reboot of the series just because I own it on Blu-ray and I was in the mood lol. Probably will watch the Halloween films next just because. After those I will start watching some of the newer stuff that I haven't seen but is on Netflix. I feel like reviews of the Friday The 13th's and Halloweens probably aren't necessary since they are pretty classic horror (in the sense that most people know the synopsis). I am a big fan and always miss them so generally watch them in the month of October every year...sentiment or something...I'll put up some reviews and rating for the new stuff that I haven't seen in the coming days.
ApolloCreed and GoCaboNow like this.
post #15947 of 20941 Old 10-05-2015, 08:41 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 20
So far i have watched the conjuring, the black cat, the fall of the house of usher, misery, fright night.

tomorrow will be the bird with the crystal plumage , wednesday the exorcist, thursday poltergeist (1985 version) friday the dead zone and saturday the blair witch project

alain
ADU, ApolloCreed and GoCaboNow like this.

Alain Pilon

Montreal, Quebec
post #15948 of 20941 Old 10-05-2015, 09:31 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 5299 Post(s)
Liked: 3031
Quote:
Originally Posted by General
Stephen King was once quoted as saying: “I have seen the future of horror… his name is Clive Barker.”
It just shows you SK is pretty sh*tty at predicting the future.
post #15949 of 20941 Old 10-06-2015, 03:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1891 Post(s)
Liked: 2158
Tito's is dabes.
ApolloCreed and BornSlippyZ like this.
post #15950 of 20941 Old 10-06-2015, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
Tito's is dabes.
Hell yeah it is! Speaking of vodka, I recently picked up a Kirkland Signature (Costco) Vodka that was brewed at the same place that Grey Goose is made in France. At a about half the price of Grey Goose! I haven't tried it yet but I am sure it will taste good.
post #15951 of 20941 Old 10-06-2015, 06:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post
Hell yeah it is! Speaking of vodka, I recently picked up a Kirkland Signature (Costco) Vodka that was brewed at the same place that Grey Goose is made in France. At a about half the price of Grey Goose! I haven't tried it yet but I am sure it will taste good.
I need to invest a copper mug but until then I'll use a Rapunzel sippy cup for my Moscow Mules.
ApolloCreed and stevew24963 like this.
post #15952 of 20941 Old 10-06-2015, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
I need to invest a copper mug but until then I'll use a Rapunzel sippy cup for my Moscow Mules.
Ha, that is good!

I have bought those copper cups as gifts but I don't own any of those cups.
post #15953 of 20941 Old 10-06-2015, 06:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Panda_Chef View Post
I'm totally in on this. Already started on the 1st and meant to post...

Friday The 13th Parts 1 - 5 so far and 6 is tonight (Jason Lives for those who don't know). October 1st I also partook in the reboot of the series just because I own it on Blu-ray and I was in the mood lol. Probably will watch the Halloween films next just because. After those I will start watching some of the newer stuff that I haven't seen but is on Netflix. I feel like reviews of the Friday The 13th's and Halloweens probably aren't necessary since they are pretty classic horror (in the sense that most people know the synopsis). I am a big fan and always miss them so generally watch them in the month of October every year...sentiment or something...I'll put up some reviews and rating for the new stuff that I haven't seen in the coming days.
F13's are one of the greatest film franchises ever. I did NOES a couple years back and taking each one in right after the other you can see the incremental advances in camera operation and effects. Truly a sight to behold and any issues with the narrative dry up. Each one fits in as best as possible.
dropzone7 likes this.
post #15954 of 20941 Old 10-06-2015, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 95
I had a project to work on around the house so we did not have time to commit to a movie last night. We did watch the season finale of "Fear The Walking Dead". I don't think this can replace the other show for me but I did enjoy this short, six episode season enough to want to see more.
post #15955 of 20941 Old 10-06-2015, 08:09 AM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Well finished the Friday The 13th and then couldn't sleep so since Amazon Prime just got American Horror Freak Show I watched five episodes of that haha! Now I am exhausted but I need to walk my dog then I will probably come home to watch the rest of the season so I can start the Hotel one.
post #15956 of 20941 Old 10-06-2015, 08:13 AM

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 81
10/4
Predators - The second NFL game was garbage on the local station so I got my movie in on Sunday. I don't know if Predators is technically horror, but I was craving some action so I'm going to count it Pretty much what you'd expect from a Predator movie: people with big guns out in the jungle being hunted by Predators. Nothing new here, just a solid alien action/horror flick.

10/5
30 Days of Night - I'm glad some of you guys suggested this one; I really liked it.
Halloween (1978) - What can I say, a classic.
GoCaboNow likes this.
post #15957 of 20941 Old 10-06-2015, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 384
5. To Let (Para Entrar a Vivir) (FTV)
In Spanish with subtitles. A young couple get more than they bargained for when they go apartment hunting in an isolated area of town. To reveal much more of the plot will spoil too much for you, as most of the fun (at least in the better, creepier first half) is trying to figure out just what the heck is happening and why. This was fresh and original, fast and bloody, at times quite absurd and infuriating. Plagued with characters making really bad decisions that have you shouting at the screen, but despite this I kinda liked this scrappy little weird-out of a film.

3 out of 5 stars.

Bob's October 2015 Horror Movie List
FTV denotes first time viewing
1. The Baby's Room (LA HABITACIÓN DEL NIÑO) (FTV)
2. Our Mother's House (FTV)
3. Poltergeist (2015, in 3D) (FTV)
5. To Let (Para Entrar a Vivir)(FTV)

"I'LL SHOW YOU THE LIFE OF THE MIND!!!" - Barton Fink
post #15958 of 20941 Old 10-06-2015, 08:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Seems like the Spanish are on a roll lately.
Bob McLaughlin likes this.
post #15959 of 20941 Old 10-06-2015, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by techtre2003 View Post
30 Days of Night - I'm glad some of you guys suggested this one; I really liked it.
Dark Days is pretty good as well.
post #15960 of 20941 Old 10-06-2015, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 787 Post(s)
Liked: 645
Quote:

Been a while, but when I FTV'd the 2009 one I thought the original was a little harsher in tone? Both celebrate the female shape and I love me some Shannon Elizabeth shape. Though she was kind of bitchy in this flic.
ApolloCreed likes this.

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page