October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....) - Page 535 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 4675Likes

post #16021 of 18387 Old 10-07-2015, 03:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3312 Post(s)
Liked: 6153
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post
I think in four years the whole ATMOS/DTS X thing MAY have worked it's way out. In the mean time you can still call what you have ATMOS like Wabo is doing.

I will probably make and install 4 speakers this winter, and then see if I want to bite the bullet on an AVR. As soon as I do they will announce a new upgrade with 6 more discreet channels, which is not upgradable for 2016 models. Then a month later 2016 model prices will drop in half.

I really like my surround as well - but speakers in the ceiling!!
I have a 7.1 (two subs) setup using the Marantz 8802A. Now the new Yamaha A5100 was just released. I'm very curious about it's 64 bit YPAO. There's a shootout between the 2 processors this Sunday. Who knows, I may be buying a new pre/pro. Although it will be really tough to beat the big Marantz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post
Well temporary as in 4 years minimum! Actually my landlord was ok with adding doors to enclose the office and other things so he might budge...
Cool
BornSlippyZ likes this.

Take life with a grain of salt... a slice of lime, and a shot of tequila
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16022 of 18387 Old 10-07-2015, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
I have a 7.1 (two subs) setup using the Marantz 8802A. Now the new Yamaha A5100 was just released. I'm very curious about it's 64 bit YPAO. There's a shootout between the 2 processors this Sunday. Who knows, I may be buying a new pre/pro. Although it will be really tough to beat the big Marantz.

Cool
I really never liked or understood YPAO but they have been making strides and this news has me interested!
post #16023 of 18387 Old 10-07-2015, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked: 524
Quote:
Yeah with electronics the next great thing is around the corner! I think if I do an Atmos AVR, I might do the whole Pre/pro thing and just have a bunch of 2 channel amps. I know it might be a placebo because folks tell me the 4311 is 'enough' to push my stage of Klipsch speakers but I do notice a difference (a good one) when I play my system near reference volumes. My two Crown amps hardly break a sweat at those volumes too. So it just got me thinking that these AVRS can do the job of powering all the speakers, but how well do they do it? When I get to that point I am sure the new AVR's will come down in price so using one as a pre/pro would probably save me lots of money. The DSU feature on the Denon/Marantz is pretty damn awesome! It is like Dolby pIIZ on steroids for surround speakers !
My mains are a pro design based off a JBL 15" woofer and horn loaded compression driver. 6 ohm,98 db sensitivity (unlike me)
Rated to take up to 600 watts. They could play too loud on just my AVR. But Emotiva had a sale on their monoblocks that do 325 watts at 6ohms. I can tell a difference. Is not just loudness but almost an extra clarity to them? I like the analogy of putting regular in a performance car or putting premium. It will run fast on both but better with Premium. I had some Crown 4000's in my room for a while that do 1000 watts at 6ohms IIRC. It was intoxicating the difference! But did not play nice with my setup, hums and the units had too much surge at start up and shut down. Kept tripping my 20 amp breaker. I digress, but I think watts make a difference the more powerful your speaker. Also had some crown 1000's to power my surrounds. I was going to go all crown and skip the AVR. My surrounds are spec'd to 200 watts, but I could not tell a lick of difference between the AVR and Crown 1000 which does something like 200-300 watts at 8ohms IIRC?
Quote:

Cool
Two subs? Why don't you call it 7.2 like everybody else does? LOL!
Did you do ceiling speakers?
I will be checking out that shootout as well just to see how YPAO does. Though, if I do get an ATMOS AVR it will most likely be a Yammy 3050 or Denon equivalent. Kind of hate to replace me old Denon. It's only seven years old...

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #16024 of 18387 Old 10-07-2015, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
My mains are a pro design based off a JBL 15" woofer and horn loaded compression driver. 6 ohm,98 db sensitivity (unlike me)
Rated to take up to 600 watts. They could play too loud on just my AVR. But Emotiva had a sale on their monoblocks that do 325 watts at 6ohms. I can tell a difference. Is not just loudness but almost an extra clarity to them? I like the analogy of putting regular in a performance car or putting premium. It will run fast on both but better with Premium. I had some Crown 4000's in my room for a while that do 1000 watts at 6ohms IIRC. It was intoxicating the difference! But did not play nice with my setup, hums and the units had too much surge at start up and shut down. Kept tripping my 20 amp breaker. I digress, but I think watts make a difference the more powerful your speaker. Also had some crown 1000's to power my surrounds. I was going to go all crown and skip the AVR. My surrounds are spec'd to 200 watts, but I could not tell a lick of difference between the AVR and Crown 1000 which does something like 200-300 watts at 8ohms IIRC?

I will be checking out that shootout as well just to see how YPAO does. Though, if I do get an ATMOS AVR it will most likely be a Yammy 3050 or Denon equivalent. Kind of hate to replace me old Denon. It's only seven years old...
Damn I bet your system just slams you, in a good way! I love those JBL 15" Woofer with the Horn, kinda like the old Klipsch speakers that they use to make! Yeah I had a really annoying hum when I hooked those crown X1000s up in my home in Ohio. I got it to go down a lot by just grounding both to my phono ground on my Denon. Here in this house, I still have a very slight hum but only when the house is quiet you can hear it. I guess as far as electrics go, this house has a better ground/power supply I guess. My 4311 powers 4 bookshelf speakers (surrounds) and I think it is perfectly suited to do so and my Denon barely gets warm. I notice that when the front stage is powered separate from the AVR, my towers especially didn't feel 'weak'. I know most folks say Klipsch don't need a ton of power but my L/R (KLF-20 towers) love the 200watts rms those Crowns give it! I guess the word I use is that my front stage is opened up a bit, especially when crazy movies like Mad Max FR is being played loudly.

More details on Prometheus 2 (Alien :Paradise Lost) http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/33...gineer-planet/

Last edited by BornSlippyZ; 10-07-2015 at 05:09 PM.
post #16025 of 18387 Old 10-07-2015, 05:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I really never liked or understood YPAO but they have been making strides and this news has me interested!
It's their REQ. I'm pretty satisfied with Audyssey XT32. But if Yammie's new 64 bit version is the real deal, I might be persuaded to make the jump. I haven't owned a Yamaha product since the 90's.

Quote:

Sounds like you have all the external amps. Why settle for an AVR? Get an AVP such as the aforementioned 5100 or the new 7702mkII. Or come over to the 8802A club. The door is open and it's comfy in here. The drinks are cold too.

I have not done ceiling speakers. Not too excited to do so. Believe it or not, my side and rear speakers are quite tall and reach up to the top of my ceiling. They do an excellent job of imagining.
BornSlippyZ likes this.

post #16026 of 18387 Old 10-07-2015, 05:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 4794 Post(s)
Liked: 2651
Quote:
My Vlad the Impaler blu arrived today. Can't wait to watch this tonight. Vlad in Atmos.:spooky:

$35?

Sheesh, I think I'll pass...

RIP --- The National Geographic Society (Jan. 1888 - Sept. 2015)
post #16027 of 18387 Old 10-07-2015, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It's their REQ. I'm pretty satisfied with Audyssey XT32. But if Yammie's new 64 bit version is the real deal, I might be persuaded to make the jump. I haven't owned a Yamaha product since the 90's.

Sounds like you have all the external amps. Why settle for an AVR? Get an AVP such as the aforementioned 5100 or the new 7702mkII. Or come over to the 8802A club. The door is open and it's comfy in here. The drinks are cold too.

I have not done ceiling speakers. Not too excited to do so. Believe it or not, my side and rear speakers are quite tall and reach up to the top of my ceiling. They do an excellent job of imagining.
I never owned a Yammie but I did own Sony and Pioneer (juicy for music lovers) AVRs (I still have my Sony ha!) in the 90's. Yeah that might be my next big thing, especially if this and 4K take off! I love your 8802 with all that XLR yummyness!
post #16028 of 18387 Old 10-07-2015, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post
$35?

With black friday coming here soon it might be on sale for less? I will probably buy the Leelo Dallas Multipass movie though!
post #16029 of 18387 Old 10-07-2015, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

More details on Prometheus 2 (Alien :Paradise Lost) http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/33...gineer-planet/
Cool! Just bring it on ALREADY!
Quote:

I hear you. I get bounce, I mean imaging off my ceiling from my 2nd row surrounds - sometimes. Is cool when I swear the sound is coming from the ceiling. But, is still not discreet ceiling channels. How important is that? Mad Max is supposed to be one of the best ATMOS mixes, but it sounded pretty killer in regular old 7.1 like the Skipster says. The only reason I would upgrade is for ATMOS. I'm sure to realize OTHER benefits but you don't know what you don't know.

post #16030 of 18387 Old 10-07-2015, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
$35?

I still think horror could take excellent use of discreet sounds coming from directly above you.

post #16031 of 18387 Old 10-07-2015, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I still think horror could take excellent use of discreet sounds coming from directly above you.
Hell yes! I would actually double dip if they made Poltergeist, The Descent, Alien/Aliens, Predator and Event Horizon in Atmos!
post #16032 of 18387 Old 10-07-2015, 05:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 4794 Post(s)
Liked: 2651
Quote:
With black friday coming here soon it might be on sale for less?
I have a nickel that says this title will be one of the first catalog UHD-BDs released....

RIP --- The National Geographic Society (Jan. 1888 - Sept. 2015)
post #16033 of 18387 Old 10-07-2015, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I have a nickel that says this title will be one of the first catalog UHD-BDs released....
You are probably right! I wish I could see the list and I wonder if Fox will finally release The Abyss on UHD or *cough* BD!
post #16034 of 18387 Old 10-07-2015, 06:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
$35?

There's a cheaper version available.

http://www.amazon.com/Bram-Stokers-D...4261315&sr=8-1

Quote:
I never owned a Yammie but I did own Sony and Pioneer (juicy for music lovers) AVRs (I still have my Sony ha!) in the 90's. Yeah that might be my next big thing, especially if this and 4K take off! I love your 8802 with all that XLR yummyness!
Speaking of juicy, you ever had a Juicy Lucy?

Quote:
Cool! Just bring it on ALREADY!

I hear you. I get bounce, I mean imaging off my ceiling from my 2nd row surrounds - sometimes. Is cool when I swear the sound is coming from the ceiling. But, is still not discreet ceiling channels. How important is that? Mad Max is supposed to be one of the best ATMOS mixes, but it sounded pretty killer in regular old 7.1 like the Skipster says. The only reason I would upgrade is for ATMOS. I'm sure to realize OTHER benefits but you don't know what you don't know.
Start cutting.

post #16035 of 18387 Old 10-07-2015, 06:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I just wanted to recommend a couple of films. If you have not seen Descent (the one where the girls go cave diving), I highly recommend it. I recently rewatched the original Black Christmas, and that film is still disturbing today. Someone mentioned Funny Games, and that one is pretty good as well. I've only seen the remake. For those that have not seen The Howling, you should check that one out. I think most people have seen When A Stranger Calls (the original, the remake is pretty lame), but it's so well done, especially the first half, you may want to check it out again. I enjoyed the sequel as well, When A Stranger Calls Back (a tele-film produced for....was it Showtime?).

Last edited by batman144144; 10-07-2015 at 06:33 PM.
post #16036 of 18387 Old 10-07-2015, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
There's a cheaper version available.

http://www.amazon.com/Bram-Stokers-D...4261315&sr=8-1

Speaking of juicy, you ever had a Juicy Lucy?

Start cutting.
That sounds like something offered to me when I was at the Red Light district in the Netherlands lol! But no I never had one ha!
Quote:
Originally Posted by batman144144 View Post
I just wanted to recommend a couple of films. If you have not seen Descent (the one where the girls go cave diving), I highly recommend it. I recently rewatched the original Black Christmas, and that film is still disturbing today. Someone mentioned Funny Games, and that one is pretty good as well. I've only seen the remake. For those that have not seen The Howling, you should check that one out. I think most people have seen When A Stranger Calls (the original, the remake is pretty lame), but it's so well done, especially the first half, you may want to check it out again. I enjoyed the sequel as well, When A Stranger Calls Back (a tele-film produced for....was it Showtime?).
Classic and IIRC it had Margot Kidder in it! I haven't seen this film in a while and it can be watched during December Christmas watching if you need that horror flick! All of your mentions are pretty good as well!
post #16037 of 18387 Old 10-07-2015, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob McLaughlin View Post
6. Hardware (1990)
An industrial artist in a dystopian future is menaced by the reanimated remnants of a battle robot. I saw this many years ago on VHS and at the time thought it a rather stylish knockoff of the final tense scenes of the original Terminator movie. Its anniversary release on Blu Ray made me curious to see it again and give it a second chance. This still feels a bit like the lost cousin of Terminator, Blade Runner, and Mad Max, and the things that made it stylish back in the day just make it seem dated and almost quaint. Ah, remember when the future used to be dark and full of jagged wires, music by Ministry, and fuzzy green computer resolution? Anyway, it's still quite an enjoyable oddity, and makes you further lament the decline of director Richard Stanley, who was later unfairly yanked off the set of The Island of Doctor Moreau, never to be seen again (well, until very recently). And yes, this is horror, just of the sci-fi sort...I mean, a killer robot with poison needles?! Now that's horror.

4 out of 5 stars.

Bob's October 2015 Horror Movie List
FTV denotes first time viewing
1. The Baby's Room (LA HABITACIÓN DEL NIÑO) (FTV)
2. Our Mother's House (FTV)
3. Poltergeist (2015, in 3D) (FTV)
4. Dark Was the Night (FTV)
5. To Let (Para Entrar a Vivir)(FTV)
6. Hardware

Thanks for reminding me of this!
The nomad in the movie is the lead singer of my favorite 80's Goth bands, "Hardware's" director also filmed the bands music videos...Good Stuff!
Bob McLaughlin likes this.
post #16038 of 18387 Old 10-07-2015, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
You are probably right! I wish I could see the list and I wonder if Fox will finally release The Abyss on UHD or *cough* BD!
The Abyss would be great on Blu. I can't see horror really making out well on UHD though?

Quote:

Start cutting.
Any time you work on something over your head it is hard. I am actually looking forward to the project. Cutting holes, making boxes, is all good when it's raining and 40 degrees outside.

I am hoping to save as many of my slam dunks for the last week, or so, of the month - including The Decent.
BornSlippyZ likes this.

post #16039 of 18387 Old 10-07-2015, 07:05 PM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I was too tired to watch a movie so I just watched through half of American Horror: Freak Show. Watching the other half tonight. I really am enjoying it but there are a lot of separate stories in this one, or that is what it feels like. I like the characters and like some of the additions (not sure about some of the subtractions). Definitely worth a watch (especially since this season is up on Netflix and Amazon Prime right now).
post #16040 of 18387 Old 10-07-2015, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 138
4. As Above So Below FTV
This was good for what it was. I don't really love found footage and the camera work at times bothered me. Story was kind of neat but I know these films scare the crap out of some people but I'm not one of those people, I'm more a blood and guts gorefest or black comedy horror fan, so I think I enjoyed it but I don't know how many times I'd watch again.

XBox: King Nuthin
post #16041 of 18387 Old 10-07-2015, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 999 Post(s)
Liked: 839
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Panda_Chef View Post
I was too tired to watch a movie so I just watched through half of American Horror: Freak Show. Watching the other half tonight.
The new season of American Horror Story: Hotel is starting tonight.
post #16042 of 18387 Old 10-07-2015, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyM View Post
4. As Above So Below FTV
This was good for what it was. I don't really love found footage and the camera work at times bothered me.
I started watching that one a few days ago. I haven't decided if I'm going to finish it yet. What I've seen so far was kind of boring.
post #16043 of 18387 Old 10-07-2015, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
I started watching that one a few days ago. I haven't decided if I'm going to finish it yet. What I've seen so far was kind of boring.
It gets a bit better. But it's the kind of movie that would appeal to the person that said the Conjuring is the scariest movie they saw all year. It's atmospheric and creepy sure but fairly tame by genre fan standards.
Ken.F likes this.

post #16044 of 18387 Old 10-07-2015, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Just finished watching The Loved Ones (2009) from this list. Wow, that was good! Teen angst gets taken to another level in this one.
post #16045 of 18387 Old 10-07-2015, 08:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked: 1762
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyM View Post
It gets a bit better. But it's the kind of movie that would appeal to the person that said the Conjuring is the scariest movie they saw all year. It's atmospheric and creepy sure but fairly tame by genre fan standards.
I think this was pretty good BUT would have been so much better as non found footage movie. Story was really cool.
CoreyM likes this.
post #16046 of 18387 Old 10-07-2015, 08:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked: 1762
2015 Horror Marathon

Spoiler!

16. What We Do In The Shadows. FTV. Hilarious documentary about some vampire flat mates. My sides may be sore tomorrow from laughing. Thanks Ken F.
ApolloCreed and stevew24963 like this.
post #16047 of 18387 Old 10-07-2015, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
I think this was pretty good BUT would have been so much better as non found footage movie. Story was really cool.
So true.

I'm not sure, sometimes I watch a FF movie and it takes me 15 minutes to realize I'm watching a FF movie, this one I realized it 5 seconds in and was half tempted to turn it off. The jerky camera was hyper pronounced and got really distracting at times.

Plus
Spoiler!

post #16048 of 18387 Old 10-07-2015, 08:48 PM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 149
I watched The Descent (from 2005) two or three years ago for the first time going into it with low expectations but it ended up being either my #1 or #2 most favorite horror movie that October (I think the other unexpected hit on my part that year was The Last House On The Left remake from 2009).

Tonight I watched Ouija (2014) and although the premise and ideas behind the movie were reasonably solid IMHO, the results were merely average. It's about a girl who apparently commits suicide and her friends attempt to get in touch with her through a Oujia board unleashing a chain of events. I did get goose bumps once in this movie and there were a few twists that I didn't expect, but overall not much actually scared me in this one and I thought it was fairly tame as far as horror movies go. It had a few things going for it but it's likely going to be one of those movies I watch once and might never be inclined to see it again. Despite this, I didn't think it was a waste of time seeing once and I rate it 2.5 out of 5.
post #16049 of 18387 Old 10-07-2015, 10:41 PM
AVS Special Member

5. Nurse (FTV)
Friend suggested I give this a watch. It was good fun, and boobies and at least one full frontal shot. I mean this is why I've been watching these kind of movies the past 30+ years I think.

post #16050 of 18387 Old 10-07-2015, 11:11 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Classic and IIRC it had Margot Kidder in it!
Yup, she plays a kind of a lewd character, but manages to bring a large amount of pathos. Maybe her best role. The film has a great one-two punch involving her at the beginning. We're all kind of shocked as the audience at just how vulgar this obscene phone call is from the killer, then Margot Kidder just stands up to him effortlessly. Then, at the end of the call, the killer breaks character with all the bizarre voices and sounds and rather suddenly just says, in an all-too-calm-and-normal voice, "I'm going to kill you." Very effective.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page