October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....) - Page 544 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 5951Likes

Old 10-12-2015, 08:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 103
11. Evil Dead II (1987) 5.0

My favorite of the 3 (4ish if you count AoD). I don't have anything to add to what's been said about it already. I don't know, though. I've been feeling like revisiting the 2013 version lately, which was pretty intense. Maybe time will change my mind about which one is the best.

12. Hellbound: Hellraiser II (1988) FTV 3.5

This was a very good sequel. I think it captured the tone of the original, and definitely had some brutal moments.
Spoiler!
It dragged for me a little as it moved along, and it felt like they were starting to break the rules of the universe they created. But, well above average, really good for a sequel, and had pretty much everything you could want from an 80s gorefest.

13. Basket Case (1982) FTV 3.0

You can always count on Frank Henenlotter to set a skeezy, gritty tone. This was a pretty cool movie about a guy who carries his deformed, formerly-conjoined twin around in a basket with him. They stay at a trashy motel in New York as they track down and kill the doctors who separated them. It had some pretty good gore sequences, but some laughable stop-motion as well. I rated it above-average, because it delivers on the 80s trash, but in my mind I'm comparing it to Brain Damage. If you want something really grody, watch that. Both movies make the claim that the crew walked out on some of the scenes due to how offensive they were. I believe it for Brain Damage, but not so much for Basket Case.

14. The New York Ripper (1980) FTV 4.0

Speaking of sketchy trash...My new mission in life is to earn the nickname "Silver Toes". This Fulci film played out like a police procedural, focused on tracking down a serial killer who mocked the police and his victims by talking in a duck-voice. It fits that mold pretty well, but with kill-scenes that are pretty brutal. I'm trying to think if I can describe any of them without sounding like a perv, and I'm coming up short. I was really happy with this one after being disappointed with The Beyond. This one had scenes that were shot well, and with a narrative to connect them! I don't think it will leave you wanting much more out of it.
GoCaboNow and BornSlippyZ like this.

__________________________________________________ ___________________

Horrorfest 2013 (in 2014)

Horrorfest 2014
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2015, 08:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
http://halloweenlove.com/everythings...ing-halloween/

Everything’s Offensive: Is Generation Outrage Ruining Halloween?

This article is upsetting, and I'm glad they brought Christmas into it as well! When I was growing up, it was widely accepted that you could say "Merry Christmas" to people but now it's this generic "Happy Holidays" crap. My feeling is that people are free to practice their own religions and customs, but don't go around and say that I cannot celebrate Christmas or say "Merry Christmas" to someone. I am not Jewish, but when people say "Happy Hanukkah" and I overhear it, I am not offended. I cannot believe that Halloween is now also under attack. Infuriating.
Old 10-12-2015, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1122 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post
Yeah I know about that, I sold all of my house, techno and trance records (early 90's to late 90's toonage) because I needed the cash. Biggest mistake ever but hey live and learn. Truth be told the clones are actually good players for 95% of the folks out there that Dj, heck I even used a belt drive once because a SL1200 broke, yes BROKE! These days I collect old dance stuff still but mainly I collect soundtracks because they just sound awesome on my set up.

We have a lot in common, my friend -- I still have my massive 12-inch vinyl collection from DJing, and have separated the singles into genres (Freestyle, House/Dance/Hip-House/Club, Rap/R&B, Classic Disco, Classic Club) with each single in each category in alphabetical order (in other words, Alisha's "All Night Passion" comes before Lisa Lisa's "Can You Feel the Beat" etc.). I still have a massive 45RPM single collection too, which is alphabetized by title order from A to Z, plus a ton of LPs that are separated out by category and then by band/artist name alphabetically (for example, under Classic Hip-Hop/Rap, Audio Two comes before EPMD). Almost every night, my wife and I listen to 12-inch singles I spin on my AT-LP120 to bring us back to an era that is gone and forgotten about, such as mid-90s house anthems like "Pennies From Heaven" by Inner City or "Workout" by Frankie Knuckles, or Freestyle classics like "Change on Me" by Cynthia, "Bad of the Heart" by George LaMond, "My Fallen Angel" by Coro, "Where Are You Tonight" by Coro and "Then Came You" by The Philadelphia Experiment.

Funny you mentioned soundtracks -- I too have a penchant for soundtracks on vinyl, and have amassed quite the collection over the years including out-of-print titles like Breakin, Breakin 2: Electric Boogaloo, Grease, Beat Street, Dirty Dancing, Risky Business and Xanadu (which I rebought on CD because the vinyl is beyond repair). Most recently, I purchased a 180-gram repressing of the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack from Reprise Europe, but to be honest the sound quality pales in comparison to the 1977 original pressing by RSO Records (which I also own)...in comparison, the 180-gram version is riddled with screeching, irritating highs and extreme inner groove distortion on end tracks.

Quote:
I signed a petition a while back and then a friend told me the Panasonic is currently planning to release the SL's again due to a demand in vinyl.

Wow...that's amazing if it's true. I gotta do some research on that...
BornSlippyZ likes this.

5.1:
ONKYO TX-SR605B - oppo BDP-83 - SONY KDS-50A2020 SXRD
polkaudio RTi12 - polkaudio CSi30 - SpeakerCraft Preinstalled In-Ceiling Surrounds - polkaudio PSW350
2 CHANNEL:
ONKYO TX-8555 - marantz CC-4001 - TASCAM CD-RW900SL - Numark CDMIX 1 - Infinity PRIMUS P363BK - audio-technica AT-LP120-USB
Old 10-12-2015, 08:20 PM

Tonight's movie was Sharknado. Not a great movie but certainly good. I found it to be fun, funny, corny, and entertaining all rolled into one! The special effects definitely added to the entertainment value of this film! I give this a 3.5 out of 5 and look forward to watching the two sequels!
yankeeman likes this.
Old 10-12-2015, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The more I hear of stuff like this, I want to live on another planet.

Wow. I cannot BELIEVE what that piece says...

Absolutely incredible. I, too, want to blast off this planet and get away from this madness...

5.1:
polkaudio RTi12 - polkaudio CSi30 - SpeakerCraft Preinstalled In-Ceiling Surrounds - polkaudio PSW350
2 CHANNEL:
ONKYO TX-8555 - marantz CC-4001 - TASCAM CD-RW900SL - Numark CDMIX 1 - Infinity PRIMUS P363BK - audio-technica AT-LP120-USB
Old 10-12-2015, 08:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked: 2032
Vinyl nerds.
Old 10-12-2015, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tydq View Post

12. Hellbound: Hellraiser II (1988) FTV 3.5

This was a very good sequel. I think it captured the tone of the original, and definitely had some brutal moments.
Spoiler!
It dragged for me a little as it moved along, and it felt like they were starting to break the rules of the universe they created. But, well above average, really good for a sequel, and had pretty much everything you could want from an 80s gorefest

Funny you mentioned this; I recently picked up the original Hellraiser from a K-Mart (was just doing some Halloween decoration browsing) from Image Entertainment's Midnight Madness collection (DVDs and Blu-rays they've been putting out of titles they purchased from New World Pictures and Anchor Bay) and it brought me back in time to when I thought these overtly gory films were entertaining...lol...it was pretty brutal watching it all these years later, but the DVD's picture quality was pretty bad. The sequel was good too, and so was the third film -- Hell on Earth -- what with the Cenobites throwing CDs at people to kill them at that club...

5.1:
2 CHANNEL:
Old 10-12-2015, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Vinyl nerds.

Sticks and stones....

5.1:
2 CHANNEL:
Old 10-12-2015, 08:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelliVolume View Post
Sticks and stones....
I just bought a vintage copy of 1979s Christopher Cross debut album. When we leave this planet to escape outrage we can listen to Sailing.
Old 10-12-2015, 09:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 3787 Post(s)
Liked: 7221
Quote:
We're currently accepting a very limited amount of applications for travel visas to my planet. Where the sun is shining and there's endless ribs right off the oinker.

Take life with a grain of salt... a slice of lime, and a shot of tequila
Old 10-12-2015, 10:38 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 5299 Post(s)
Liked: 3020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
We're currently accepting a very limited amount of applications for travel visas to my planet. Where the sun is shining and there's endless ribs right off the oinker.

https://youtu.be/uCG7o5VCX4A
Oh yeah, we COMPLETELY trust you...
Spoiler!
Old 10-12-2015, 10:59 PM

Why the he!! didn't someone WARN me not to waste my time with The Taking of Deborah Logan?

The first-person shakey cam, the two actresses who looked nearly the same age but were SUPPOSED to be Mama & Baby, the lack of any real pay-off, Alzheimer's as actually being/causing paranormal possession....
What complete sh*te and a totally waste of time this waste of celluloid is...

As always, I'm blaming Lord Wabo (because I CAN).
Old 10-12-2015, 11:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post
Why the he!! didn't someone WARN me not to waste my time with The Taking of Deborah Logan?

The first-person shakey cam, the two actresses who looked nearly the same age but were SUPPOSED to be Mama & Baby, the lack of any real pay-off, Alzheimer's as actually being/causing paranormal possession....

LOL, Oink thought Alzheimers caused possession and not a lady with it also got possessed.
Old 10-12-2015, 11:23 PM

Quote:
LOL, Oink thought Alzheimers caused possession and not a lady with it also got possessed.
According to the movie, it could be construed as such.
Demonizing Alzheimer's sufferers is a new low.

Just a frickin' dumb movie without anything worth staying on for...I want my 2 hours back.
Old 10-12-2015, 11:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Just a frickin' dumb movie without anything worth staying on for...I want my 2 hours back.
I didn't see it that way but I agree it's just ok. Michael King was better imho.
Old 10-12-2015, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Michael King was better imho.
Michael King?
Old 10-13-2015, 04:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mice View Post
Tonight's movie was Sharknado. Not a great movie but certainly good. I found it to be fun, funny, corny, and entertaining all rolled into one! The special effects definitely added to the entertainment value of this film! I give this a 3.5 out of 5 and look forward to watching the two sequels!
I love these movies, to me the second is really the best, but i am prejudiced as it takes place in New York and thats my home town. But they make tremendous use of the city, more than most movies, you really see a lot of NYC in the movie, and a bunch of great cameo's too in this one. Enjoy.

never take life seriously
Old 10-13-2015, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post
I love these movies, to me the second is really the best, but i am prejudiced as it takes place in New York and thats my home town. But they make tremendous use of the city, more than most movies, you really see a lot of NYC in the movie, and a bunch of great cameo's too in this one. Enjoy.

That is awesome, thanks for the feedback yankeeman! Tonight I am working late but will watch part 2 on Wednesday night!
Old 10-13-2015, 05:20 AM

No movie we watch this month will be as horrific as this news:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/m...boy-covers-up/
Old 10-13-2015, 05:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3787 Post(s)
Liked: 7221
Quote:

Lol. I haven't even seen it. Shakey cam and Alzheimers? Think I'll pass.

Quote:
No movie we watch this month will be as horrific as this news:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/m...boy-covers-up/
You'll always have your memories.
Spoiler!

Take life with a grain of salt... a slice of lime, and a shot of tequila
Old 10-13-2015, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1253 Post(s)
Liked: 908
Quote:
We have a lot in common, my friend -- I still have my massive 12-inch vinyl collection from DJing, and have separated the singles into genres (Freestyle, House/Dance/Hip-House/Club, Rap/R&B, Classic Disco, Classic Club) with each single in each category in alphabetical order (in other words, Alisha's "All Night Passion" comes before Lisa Lisa's "Can You Feel the Beat" etc.). I still have a massive 45RPM single collection too, which is alphabetized by title order from A to Z, plus a ton of LPs that are separated out by category and then by band/artist name alphabetically (for example, under Classic Hip-Hop/Rap, Audio Two comes before EPMD). Almost every night, my wife and I listen to 12-inch singles I spin on my AT-LP120 to bring us back to an era that is gone and forgotten about, such as mid-90s house anthems like "Pennies From Heaven" by Inner City or "Workout" by Frankie Knuckles, or Freestyle classics like "Change on Me" by Cynthia, "Bad of the Heart" by George LaMond, "My Fallen Angel" by Coro, "Where Are You Tonight" by Coro and "Then Came You" by The Philadelphia Experiment.

Funny you mentioned soundtracks -- I too have a penchant for soundtracks on vinyl, and have amassed quite the collection over the years including out-of-print titles like Breakin, Breakin 2: Electric Boogaloo, Grease, Beat Street, Dirty Dancing, Risky Business and Xanadu (which I rebought on CD because the vinyl is beyond repair). Most recently, I purchased a 180-gram repressing of the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack from Reprise Europe, but to be honest the sound quality pales in comparison to the 1977 original pressing by RSO Records (which I also own)...in comparison, the 180-gram version is riddled with screeching, irritating highs and extreme inner groove distortion on end tracks.

Wow...that's amazing if it's true. I gotta do some research on that...
Yeah you have some classics there! Never get rid of them!

One of the cool albums I bought a while ago was George Carlin and his 7 words LP. This is a 70's record it sounds great and funny as heck!
Quote:
Vinyl nerds.
Yeah kinda like a disease but I don't spend as much as I use to.
Quote:
I just bought a vintage copy of 1979s Christopher Cross debut album. When we leave this planet to escape outrage we can listen to Sailing.
Nice, I cannot wait to go to my friends shop and thumb around some vinyl for a few hours and find some gems like that.
Quote:

https://youtu.be/uCG7o5VCX4A
Ha!

Hey now Oink! didn't like Deborah Logan! What is the world coming to! I took the movie kinda like Darth did and yes the Alzheimer angle was the 'hook' or what made more sense to her behaviors at first. Yeah it is kinda slow but it is a slow decent to the peak at the end. F-ing creepy movie and really disturbing, but you have to watch it too the end!
Old 10-13-2015, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Lol. I haven't even seen it. Shakey cam and Alzheimers? Think I'll pass.
Wise.

Quote:
You'll always have your memories.
Spoiler!
THAT was a great issue...Miss P never looked hotter.

Quote:
but you have to watch it too the end!
EVERYONE knows I have ADD.

This movie should have a Drinking Game...every time the daughter says, "Mom!" = one shot of your favorite liquor.
I doubt few would be conscious by the end of the movie.
BornSlippyZ likes this.
Old 10-13-2015, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1140 Post(s)
Liked: 949
Quote:
This movie should have a Drinking Game...every time the daughter says, "Mom!" = one shot of your favorite liquor.
I doubt few would be conscious by the end of the movie.
Practice round:
Spoiler!
oink and BornSlippyZ like this.
Old 10-13-2015, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Quote:
That's truly sad; Zombie's re-imagining attempt wasn't even in the same hemisphere as Carpenter's original.

With regard to the comments on Shocker, I've always had a soft spot for this film, watching it when I was young countless times on VHS along with Renny Harlin's Prison (which Scream Factory released on Blu-ray along with Shocker); I own Universal's Double Feature DVD of Shocker that's packaged with People Under the Stairs and once you grow up and watch this film in a different, more adult state of mind, it really is pretty bad...BUT it still has some kind of appeal, as Mitch Pileggi's Horace Pinker is one bad ass mother in that flick...

Funny enough, Craven (RIP) had a vision of Shocker as another Nightmare on Elm Street-esque franchise, wherein he wanted to keep making films about Pinker, much like the Freddy storyline....suffice to say, it didn't pan out...
The People Under the Stairs is actually pretty solid....even today. Shocker though..... it was such a let down to see how bad it truly is when I had such fond memories of it as a kid.

Quote:
It's far beyond just being "nostalgic;" Carpenter's film was -- and still is -- a study in how to utilize the element of MOOD in a slasher film, coupled with the usage of shadows that create an overwhelming sense of dread without the need for buckets of gore or special effects. It's an ATMOSPHERE that just smacks of the fall/autumn season while hinting at something lurking around the corner...
Now, I understand what you're saying with regard to making Myers "bigger and more brutal," as I feel Marcus Nispel did this successfully with his Friday the 13th remake, re-imagining Voorhees as a fast-moving, unstoppable "survivalist" in the woods sort (though Paramount's take on this character is still the best)...but there's something about Zombie's Halloween that just screams "this was merely to satisfy a younger generation who didn't even know what Halloween was or that it existed" and for that I cannot support it.

Some of the worst have been House of Wax (that travesty starring the filthy pig we know as Paris Hilton), Texas Chainsaw Massacre (though Jessica Biel's ass was KICKIN' in that), The Hitcher (NO ONE will ever take Rutger Hauer's place in the original) and my aforementioned Amityville Horror...

With regard to my comment about Halloween. I simply said that I'm choosing the remake if I had to watch one tonight. That's not to demean Carpenter's version at all or even to say the remake is "better" than the original. I just enjoy watching the remake more. Personal preference. If you have strong positive feelings about a movie, Halloween for example, and it is remade to appeal to a modern audience....you have to do your best to treat them as separate entities. If you don't, you'll always feel betrayed and disappointed with remakes because they simply are not going to elicit the same feelings from you as the original did when you were a kid. For me, I rarely have that issue. I don't waste countless hours comparing versions and trying to pick apart every little detail that may have been altered. I just watch the film...and determine whether or not I like it. Comparisons are inevitable and fun to do, but I don't have crazy strong attachments to movies to the point that I'm angry when someone decides to remake it. With that kind of attitude, no remake will ever have a chance.....no matter how well done it is. The thing that gets me about RZ's version is the backstory with Michael. I love the time spent on Michael as a child and the events that happen in his life....that ultimately turn him into the killer we all know and love. Remember, RZ admitted to purposely adding/subtracting things in the movie to make it more "his". He was never trying to recreate every last detail. If there was never an original Halloween and the RZ version was a fresh idea when it was released.......I would suspect that it would be widely viewed as a great horror movie. That's basically my point.

Another example of this is our differing opinions of the TCM remake. Even without JB's "assets" that movie is a very solid watch.

Quote:

Now this is straight up ridiculous. TTODL is one of the best sleepers of last year. I suppose if you oinked it early...I could see your argument. But if you finished the whole thing and still hated it.....well then I guess you would be completely wrong in feeling that way.
darthrsg and tydq like this.
Old 10-13-2015, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloCreed View Post
Another example of this is our differing opinions of the TCM remake. Even without JB's "assets" that movie is a very solid watch.
JB's assets added to my October list. I haven't seen that one in a long time.
ApolloCreed likes this.
Old 10-13-2015, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by tydq View Post
10. Triangle (2009) FTV 4.0

This was actually next on my list, and I agree with your sentiment and rating. It's definitely worth a second look, or at least more looking into.

Spoiler!
Lots of interesting thoughts on this in the DVD and Bluray forums in the Triangle thread. Def a thinking man's horror flick which is why I loved it so much. 5 dead guls for me. Here are some considerations:

Spoiler!

and

Spoiler!
ApolloCreed likes this.

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror: 

Last edited by General Kenobi; 10-13-2015 at 09:25 AM.
Old 10-13-2015, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
http://halloweenlove.com/everythings...ing-halloween/

Everything’s Offensive: Is Generation Outrage Ruining Halloween?
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mice View Post
This article is upsetting, and I'm glad they brought Christmas into it as well! When I was growing up, it was widely accepted that you could say "Merry Christmas" to people but now it's this generic "Happy Holidays" crap. My feeling is that people are free to practice their own religions and customs, but don't go around and say that I cannot celebrate Christmas or say "Merry Christmas" to someone. I am not Jewish, but when people say "Happy Hanukkah" and I overhear it, I am not offended. I cannot believe that Halloween is now also under attack. Infuriating.
Seriously, when the hell did it become the norm that people have the right not to be offended? This is a "feel good" sickness that goes back before the participation trophy crap.

Quote:

I didn't hate it but I expected more, I'm hoping Michael Kain will be better which I just got from NF.

The Canal FTV - 1.5 stab wounds
Film archivist David has been having a rough time lately, as he suspects that his wife Alice has been cheating on him with Alex, one of her work clients. This stress is compounded when David's work partner Claire gives him a reel of to-be-archived footage that shows that his house was the setting for a brutal murder in 1902. Becoming progressively more unsettled and unhinged, David begins to believe that a spectral presence is in his house and ends up following his wife to a nearby canal, where he discovers that she is indeed having an affair with Alex. When Alice goes missing shortly afterwards, David contacts the police- only to become the prime suspect in her disappearance. As the police grow more convinced that David has murdered his wife, he struggles to find proof of his growing suspicion that something otherworldly was instead responsible.

This just fails on so many levels, the acting was tolerable but at it's core this was just a an unoriginal story that was predictable from the start. I stuck with it waiting for that big twist at the end that never came. #letdown

Old 10-13-2015, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post
Lots of interesting thoughts on this in the DVD and Bluray forums in the Triangle thread. Def a thinking man's horror flick which is why I loved it so much. 5 dead guls for me.
Spoiler!
Old 10-13-2015, 09:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

So far what are the standouts you all have seen? Oink is banned from this section on the count he has never finished a movie :-).

MGM Lion Roars, Oink's cue to leave....:-)

Mine so far are Kill List, Father's Day, What We Do In Shadows, Evil Aliens, and Insidious 3. I have no problem suggesting these to fans.
Old 10-13-2015, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
Spoiler!
Spoiler!

Quote:
So far what are the standouts you all have seen? Oink is banned from this section on the count he has never finished a movie :-).

MGM Lion Roars, Oink's cue to leave....:-)

Mine so far are Kill List, Father's Day, What We Do In Shadows, Evil Aliens, and Insidious 3. I have no problem suggesting these to fans.
Unfortunately all of my FTV's so far have sucked #highstandards I'm hoping Michael Kain will deliver and looking forward to Crimson Peak on Friday as well. For some reason all the theaters close to me pulled The Green Inferno before we could make it last weekend. Closest theaters showing it last Friday were Sac and Folsom and just wasn't worth the effort.
darthrsg likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

taboola here